Cover

INTRODUCTION

 

 

 

 

 

 

This publication is sold with the understanding that neither the author nor the publisher is rendering legal, medical, accounting, or any other professional counseling. The information contained herein is not intended to replace instructions by trained professionals. For advice regarding legal, medical, accounting, or other issues, readers are advised to consult an attorney, physician, accountant, or other appropriate qualified professional.

 

Trademarks, service marks, product names, or named features are assumed to be the property of their respective owners and are used only for reference. There is no implied endorsement.

 

The author and publisher disclaim responsibility for any adverse effects that may result from the use or application of the recipes and information within this book.

 

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopy, recording, or any information storage or retrieval system, without written permission from the publisher and author.

 

 

 

 

 

Cover and interior graphics courtesy of snappygoat.com

PROTECTING YOUR HOME AND PROPERTY

PROTECTING YOUR HOME AND PROPERTY

 

 

Contents:

 

  • PREVENTING HOME BURGLARIES

  • HOME SECURITY

  • APARTMENT SECURITY

  • PROPERTY MARKING

  • Bogus Phone Calls AND SUSPICIOUS VISITORS

 

 

PREVENTING HOME BURGLARIES

 

Successful burglars generally prefer an easy mark: a poorly lit concealed entry and exit.

 

To minimize the likelihood of a home burglary, consider modifying the following conditions:   

 

  • Mail, packages, and newspapers collecting on the front porch or at the mailbox.
  • Poorly lit and/or concealed hiding areas.
  • Untrimmed shrubbery located around windows and/or doors.
  • Open windows.
  • Open garage door.
  • Accessible basement windows.
  • A perimeter fence which conceals covert activities from public view.
  • Yard not mowed.
  • Trash cans full to overflowing.
  • Answering machine full of unanswered messages.
  • Accessible basement windows.
  • Easily accessed crawlspace.
  • Notes on doors telling visitors where you have gone and/or when you will return.
  • Sliding glass door(s) having insufficient locking mechanisms.
  • House key left above under the foot mat or above the front door.
  • A dark house (no lights) night after night.
  • Inadequate door locks and latches.

 

A burglar usually seeks a concealed entry location in order to have a quick in-and-out without being observed. A skilled house robber prefers to work at night when it is dark, especially favoring those nights when there is not a full moon. Favorite access points include:

 

  • Sliding glass doors.
  • Properties surrounded by a high, opaque fence.
  • A dark driveway or alley to the rear of the property.
  • Unlocked doors or windows.
  • Exterior door without a deadbolt.
  • Large, concealing shrubbery in front of a window.

 

 

 

 

HOME SECURITY

 

  • Make sure your home looks like someone is living in it. Don't close curtains during daylight hours (this suggests    the house is empty). Consider installing automatic time switches to turn lights on during dark hours.

  • Fit mortise locks or bolts to all outside doors and locks on all ground level or easily accessible windows.

  • Cancel newspaper deliveries.

  • Mow the lawn before you go and trim any plants that burglars could hide behind.

  • Have a friend or neighbor look after your home. They can collect your mail, mow your lawn, and so on. This gives the impression that someone is living in your home. If you leave keys with a neighbor, don't label them with your address or any other identifying information. If a neighbor cannot collect your mail, arrange for your local post office to hold your mail for a specified period of time.

  • It's a good idea to ask neighbors to keep an eye on your home while you're away. Ask them to collect mail, sweep leaves, mow the lawn, and generally make the place look lived in.

  • You can repay the favor by doing the same for them. Warn the neighbor who has your key to not put any identifying information on your key in case it falls into the wrong hands.

  • Is there a Neighborhood Watch where you live? Your local police will tell you if there is one in your area or help you set up one of your own. A Neighborhood Watch will help keep your home secure while you're away and has many other crime prevention and community benefits.

  • Where possible, don't leave valuables like a TV, hi-fi, computer, or video where people can see them through windows.

  • Mark all valuable items with your postal code and house number using an 'invisible' pen that you can get from DIY shops. If your property is stolen, this identification will help police recognize it if it is found in addition to potentially providing the authorities with additional evidence to convict the responsible thief or thieves.

  • Make sure that your homeowners’ insurance is up to date and in force.

  • Do not put your home address on your luggage when you are traveling to your holiday destination.

  • After putting all your tools safely away so they cannot be used to break into your house, secure the garage and/or shed with security locks. If you must leave a ladder out, put it on its side and lock it to a secure fixture with a closed- shackle padlock or heavy-duty chain.

  • Lock all exterior doors and windows. If you have a burglar alarm, make sure it is set and that you have told the police who has the key to your home.

  • Just before you leave, spend a couple minutes checking that you've done all you need to do for security purposes and that you have everything you need for your trip.

 

APARTMENT SECURITY

 

  • Your home is most vulnerable is when it is left empty for an extended period of time. Darkened windows, mail or newspapers piling up, and closed windows during warm weather: all of these elements conspire to advertise your absence to a potential burglar.

  • The best protection for your apartment during your absence is to have a house sitter. A friend you trust staying at your house can take care of your pets and/or plants in addition to making it appear that your residence is inhabited.

  • Have a neighbor check on your apartment while you're away. Turning on lights, radios, or TV’s and opening and closing curtains will give your residence the appearance of occupancy.

  • If you don't have a friend or neighbor to housesit or check your apartment while you're away (and perhaps even if you do), you should keep the lights on and a TV or radio on a timer. If you have your TV on almost all the time, even with the absence of sound, that glowing light in the windows announces that you're at home.

  • Make certain that whoever is checking your apartment while you're away knows how to work your alarm system and knows who to call in the event of a problem.

  • Unless you have a house sitter, stop your mail, newspaper, and other deliveries. Nothing announces an empty dwelling better than a stack of newspapers or an overflowing mailbox. Ask a nearby neighbor to pick up all packages delivered while you're gone.

  • If you have a garden or individual plants on your balcony, make sure someone is watering them regularly or place them where they can't be seen. Plants slowly dying due to lack of water may announce your absence.

  • If you live in a rented apartment, check your lease. Many landlords require that you notify them if your residence is going to be left empty for an extended period of time (so they can enter the premises in case of emergency, even if they can't reach you). If you've got a house sitter this isn't necessary.

 

 

PROPERTY MARKING

 

Marking your property is one of the most simple and effective ways of protecting your possessions.

 

  • Property marking puts burglars off because it lets others know that the item has been stolen, thus making it much more difficult to sell. Another big advantage is that property marking makes tracing and returning your stolen property much easier for police.

  • The police say that there are two main types of property marking: the first is known

    Imprint

    Publisher: BookRix GmbH & Co. KG

    Publication Date: 05-18-2018
    ISBN: 978-3-7438-6915-8

    All Rights Reserved

    Dedication:
    This book is dedicated to those who have suffered the devastating and often debilitating effects of crime.

Next Page
Page 1 /