Cover

The Challenge

 

 

 

 

 

THE CASE OF THE

MISSING

BRIDE

by

Robert F. Clifton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PREFACE

 

The reader is advised that this is a work

Of fiction. Any similarity of any persons or the names, places or events are purely coincidental.

 

R.F. Clifton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2014 by Robert F. Clifton

 

 

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means without written permission from the author.

Edited by J. Bill Blackmore

 

This book is dedicated to my wife, Jean, the lovely woman who has put up with me for sixty two years. Thanks Dear.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter One

The Challenge

 

Robert Wallace was uncomfortable. He sat on a hard, wooden chair under hot glowing lights. He didn't want to be in the television studio of the only local T.V. station in Nautilus Beach, New Jersey. First of all, he had an aversion to newspaper, radio and television reporters, even though he was married to one. Second, he was there under orders by the Chief of Police, Jerry Monahan. It was May 15, 1975, Police Memorial Day and Monahan had agreed to appear on Station KCCD in a public relations endeavor. The Chief had been invited by the programs host, Reds Morton to answer questions called in by the listening public. The Police Captain was there to answer any questions that Monahan might have trouble with. Wallace didn't like Morton. He found the television reporter to be what he considered a “Bullshit Artist”. Reds Morton was forty years old, stood just under five feet tall and weighed about one hundred and thirty five pounds. He had gone bald ten years ago and had worn a red toupee' ever since. In addition to the hair piece, he wore elevated insoles in his shoes in an effort to make himself appear taller.

Morton was a local boy, born Carl David Morton and he got his start in radio as a sports reporter. Soon after, he presented himself as an authority on whatever sport he was discussing on air at the time. His real, personal achievement in sports was when he served as the coxswain of a crew that won one race on the Schuylkill River in 1955. He got that position due to his size when the crew coach needed a small guy in the shell at the time.

Wallace had seen his type before, a characteristic referred to as the, Napoleon Complex or Short Man Syndrome, a personality fault that results in overly aggressive and/or domineering social behavior. Not all short men have this analyzable condition, but Morton did and at times when doing interviews, sports related or not could be very cruel with his questioning.

Reds Morton watched and waited for the signal that would come from his director and when it came he faced the camera and said, “Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I am Reds Morton. Today, for those of you that don't know, it is Police Memorial Day. This is the time each year when we, the public along with police officers across the nation honor those men who gave their lives protecting us and society. This evening we have in the studio the Chief of Police of Nautilus Beach, Jerry Monahan and Captain Robert Wallace. They are here at my request not only to discuss this important day in American Law Enforcement, but to also answer questions that you, the listening and watching public may have regarding Nautilus Beach and its police department.

Chief, I'd like to start with you. What can you tell us about the rate of crime here in Nautilus Beach?”

Monahan suddenly camera shy shifted his position in his chair. Finally, with a dry mouth he answered. “I'm proud to say that Nautilus Beach is one of the safest seaside resorts in the State”. “That's nice to know Chief, but exactly what is the crime rate here?”, asked Morton

Could you be more explicit?”,asked Monahan.

Certainly. For example how many assaults were committed in 1974?”, Morton asked.

I don't know exactly, but right off of the top of my head I don't imagine there were that many to be concerned about”, said the Chief.

You don't know exactly? Excuse me Chief, but I find it odd that you, the top executive officer of our police department doesn't know the crime statistics of his own municipality. How about you Captain Wallace? Perhaps you can provide us with an answer”, said Morton sarcastically.

Oh, I can give you an answer”, said Wallace looking directly into the television camera. “The reason the Chief can't give you a direct answer is because the Nautilus Beach Police Department responds to one hundred and fifty thousand calls for service each year. Keep in mind that our city is a seaside resort. In addition to our own residents we render service to visitors to our town. Now, if you want to really know how many assaults occurred in our jurisdiction I refer you to either the New Jersey State Police or the Federal Bureau of Investigation for their Uniform Crime Report. However, let me advise you that our crime statistics are so low that Nautilus Beach is not even mentioned in the State Police reports. Does that answer your question?”, asked Wallace.

Not entirely. Correct me if I'm wrong Captain Wallace, but didn't you at one time command the vice Squad?”, asked Morton.

I did”.

And yet, prostitutes walk the streets day and night, illegal gambling operates out of candy stores, and narcotics are being sold openly”, said Morton.

Is that a statement or a question?”, asked Wallace.

Both. Why are these vice conditions allowed to exist?” Morton questioned.

They are not allowed as you put it. Arrest's are made when there is probable cause. Vice functions in any community because the residents of that community want it to happen. So, you might start looking for an answer to your question by asking the Chamber of Commerce if the conditions you mentioned is good for business. Then, I suggest you interview the judiciary and inquire as to why it is that a person arrested for a high misdemeanor usually has the charge down graded to either a misdemeanor or a city ordinance”, said Wallace.

My, my Captain, you sound as though you either dislike our Chamber of Commerce, our court judges, or perhaps even the citizens of Nautilus Beach”, said Morton.

Not at all. What I dislike is someone creating a condition that doesn't exist”, said Wallace.

Are you saying that the vice conditions I just mentioned do not exist in Nautilus Beach?”

Of course not. They exist in every community, from bored housewives making extra money selling sex, to candy store owners with pinball machines paying nickles for free games won by the players. The vice you mention does exist in Nautilus Beach. However, to my knowledge and particularly during my time as head of the Vice Squad, not one citizen of this community has walked into the police department or telephoned to register a complaint in relation to prostitution or illegal gambling”.

I wonder why that is Captain?”, asked Morton.

What you are inferring now Mister Morton, is that the citizens of this community either believe that the men and women of the Nautilus Beach Police Department are corrupt or they prefer those vice conditions you suggest do exist. If there is any corruption in the rank and file of the police then I recommend that you not only ask for, but insist that either the County Prosecutor or the Attorney General of New Jersey investigate and take any action necessary.

And, while we are on this subject

let me say this. A police department, any police department is only as good and as powerful as the citizens of the community they serve allow it to be.”

Wallace sat and watched Morton's face turn red. The T.V. host was momentarily lost for words and he fought to regain control of the situation. Finally he said, “Well, since we are mentioning the citizens of Nautilus Beach let's allow them now to call in with their questions. Ladies and gentlemen the telephone lines are now open,” said Reds Morton.

A few minutes later a female voice came into the studio. “Hello caller, you are on the air. Please give us your first name and then, do you have a question for either the Chief of Police or the Captain?”, asked Morton.

Yes I do. My name is Gladys and my question is for Chief Monahan. Chief, you said earlier that we citizens of Nautilus Beach should have no concerns about crime in our city. Yet, I would like to remind you that in the past few years there has been several murders. I would also like to mention that in two of the cases the murderers killed many people. My question is what is being done to prevent this type of crime now and in the future? I wait for your answer”.

Once again Chief Monahan moved uncomfortably in his chair. Looking at Wallace, then at Morton for help and guidance and receiving none he finally answered. “What is being done to prevent murder here in our community? That's a good question. It is so good that I am going to allow Captain Wallace answer. After all, he is the commanding Officer of the Major Crime Squad. Captain answer the lady's question.”

Wallace looked at the Chief of Police, then at Morton. “Well Captain it appears as though you are the selected one. Would you care to answer the lady's question?”, asked Morton.

Of course. Let me start by saying that no police department or police organization in any nation can prevent what you call murder. To suggest that the police could preclude such an incident is a mistake. Even if it were possible to assign a police officer in every home in Nautilus Beach there would still be the potentiality that such a crime could occur, even in the presence of the police. Allow me to give an example. No group of people are watched, supervised, studied and evaluated more than the inmates in our penitentiaries. The inmates or convicts, if you will, are housed together, in cells and cell blocks, behind concrete walls and constantly watched day and night. Yet, homicides do occur among the prison population. Until the day comes when police have the ability to read a person's mind and the Constitution of the United States allows that type of police activity, homicides or murder, as you call it will happen. And there is nothing that you or the police can do to prevent it from happening.”

Thank you Captain”, said the caller.

Alright. Next caller please”, said Morton.

Hi, my name is Steve. I am well aware of the homicides that you have investigated and solved. My question to you Captain is, how many unsolved murders are you and your squad still investigating?”

At present we have three, what we call cold case homicides that we are investigating. One such instance was what we call the “Jane Doe Murder”. The only facts that we have in this matter is that on January 23, 1970 the nude body of a Caucasian female washed up on the shore of Nautilus Beach. A pathological examination revealed that the victim was approximately twenty five to thirty years of age and had been strangled. There were no markings on the body such as scars or tattoos. Her fingerprints were taken and sent to both the New Jersey State police and the F.B.I. There were no results.

It is my opinion and let me state only my opinion that the victim was

murdered far out at sea. Keep in mind that in the nineteen sixties and seventies Eastern Block Nations were fishing off of the eastern coast of the United States. These ships and in particular the factory ships employed females as part of the crew. I believe that this woman was killed and tossed over the side. Eventually she washed up on our shore.

The second open case is again where the victim is a female. The cause of death was a single bullet wound in the head. Her body was found in a burning automobile which we believe was set on fire after her murder. At this time we believe that the woman was a witness to or had information related to two or more murders in the Philadelphia area. We also are under the opinion that her death is mob related or if you will, by organized crime.

The last open case is the murder of James Wilbert. Wilbert was a homeless man and a hopeless alcoholic. He survived by panhandling on the streets of Nautilus Beach, sleeping under the boardwalk in spring and summer and in apartment house laundry rooms in the winter. It was in one of these laundry rooms that his body was found. Cause of death, a slit throat. We have always believed that James Wilbert was killed for what money he had hidden in his shoe. Homeless men, some also referred to as wino's would place what paper money they had in one of their shoes instead of a pocket.

Wilbert was found with one shoe on and one shoe off. I hope that I have answered your question Steve”.

Yes, thank you Steve. Next caller please”, said Morton.

Hello, my name is Alice. My question is for both the Chief and the Captain. Since Captain Wallace has stated that the Nautilus Beach Police Department is still investigating three open homicide cases my question is why did he omit the Partheana White case? I'll wait for either one of the officers to answer. Thank you”.

Chief Monahan looked at the television camera and said, “We have been discussing open homicide cases. The Partheana White matter although some believe that the White girl was murdered no body has ever been found. As a result several theories have been presented over the years. One theory was that on the night of her wedding she ran away. Another is that she went to the outhouse and in the dark fell into the bay that is located behind the White estate and drowned. And, of course there is the theory that Partheana White was murdered. So, what we have are opinions, runaway, accident and homicide. Let me also inform the audience that the matter involving Partheana White occurred in June 1862. This is now 1975. I take the position that if there was any evidence it has long disappeared. Personally, I believe that Partheana White who was sixteen at the time ran away from a man she was forced to marry. If this is referred to as an open case it is an open case of a Missing Person and not homicide”.

Nonetheless Chief, you must admit that at this time you can't be certain that Partheana was not murdered and her body buried or thrown into the bay”, said Morton.

Naturally, I can't be certain. We are talking about an incident that happened one hundred and thirteen years ago. As mentioned, all evidence has long disappeared as have any witnesses. However, just as I can't be certain that the young lady wasn't murdered no one else can be certain that she was?”, said Monahan.

Well, lucky for us we have a qualified homicide investigator sitting right here next to us. Captain Wallace, with your experience and today's modern police methods of investigation do you think that you could solve the Partheana White case one way or another?”, asked Morton.

Wallace smiled. “The Chief more or less answered the question and at the same time presented one. There is no evidence or proof that the young lady was murdered over one hundred years ago. Still, you present a question as to whether one could solve a cold case that is over a century old using modern police techniques. Personally, I believe that such an investigation would be difficult at best.

As mentioned, most, if not all physical evidence has long ago disappeared. So too are the witnesses. However, I think that it could be done”.

Morton gave a slight laugh, then said, “Interesting. You actually think that you can solve a mystery that has gone unanswered in this city since nearly the time of its origin. I am aware of your reputation Captain, but I must say that in this matter you might just be just a bit egotistic”.

Not at all. At one time no one could read the Rosetta Stone, but eventually Jean-Francois Champollion solved the problem and translated the inscriptions. This mystery, as you call it may or may not be solved. However, keep in mind that in 1862 law enforcement in Nautilus Beach consisted of one man, the town sheriff who chained his prisoners to a large tree in his front yard. How much scientific investigation do you think was used at that time in the case?

The problem we face today is an allotment of police time and an allocation of police funds both of which would be necessarily used to investigate a century's old case”.

Morton turned his attention back to Chief Monahan. “Chief, if I supply the funding, which may I say will come from my sponsors, could you spare Captain Wallace to investigate the case of Partheana White?”, he asked.

I would have to have the approval of the city commissioners, and the taxpayers of Nautilus Beach”, said Monahan.

Alright listeners. You heard the Chief. Now, if you are like me and would like to see this age old mystery associated with our city's past investigated then I urge you to contact the Mayor and the Commission and allow our police department to re-open the Partheana White case.

Chief Monahan. Captain Wallace, I want to thank you for appearing on my show this evening. I look forward to having both of you back at which time you can give me and our audience a final solution. Good night everyone”, said Morgan

 

 

 

Chapter Two

Partheana

 

Mary Wallace sat and watched her husband seated at the dinner table. He was staring off into space, deep in thought. Finally, she spoke to him. “What's on your mind? You've been pushing your mashed potatoes with your fork for the past five minutes and haven't put anything in your mouth for the last ten.

Robert Wallace, at the sound of her voice came back to reality and looked at his wife. “Sorry, I'm thinking about the Partheana White case”.

What about it?”, she asked.

It just that most of us born and raised here are familiar with Hiram White who was the first settler here on Shell Island but there's not too much information about his family. It seems to me that I've got to know more about the original White family if I want to solve this mystery”, Robert answered.

And just how do you think you are going to get more information? The story of Hiram White is one or two paragraphs in maybe two history books. One here in Nautilus Beach and the other probably in the Library Of Congress. Any other knowledge about the family at this point has always been by word of mouth. At best those words are just old wives tales”.

You may be right. However,

at the same time there is a lot of history in this county, going back before the Revolutionary War. Every once in awhile a new incident or a new name appears. Meanwhile, it appears as though I'm going to need to go back to the beginning and see where it leads me”.

Bit off more than you can chew, did you?”, asked Mary.

Not really. There's probably no answer to the story. And, just between you and me I want to solve this matter”, said Robert.

The only reason you want to solve it is to be able to have Red's Morton appear wrong and embarrassed on his own show. You're investigating this old legend because a television reporter tricked you into investigating a case that everyone except you knows can't be solved. You fell for one of the oldest tricks in investigative journalism. He presented you as a great cop, an excellent homicide detective and then slowly reeled you in like a fish on a line. He exposed your vanity and as a result got you to do just what he wanted you to do, investigate the Partheana White case. And, do you want to know why? Because he wants to not only embarrass you, he wants to humiliate you. He wants to show you on television, admitting that you, the great Captain Robert Wallace could not solve a mystery that is part of the history and lore of this community”.

And, why would he want to do that?”, asked Robert.

Probably because of your big mouth and your well known dislike for reporters. Ask yourself how many times in the presence of other people have you referred to Reds Morton as an asshole or a bullshit artist. Think back on how many times you called news reporters a bunch of whores. When you come up with a total then you'll know why he an other journalist's dislike you”.

Wallace sat in silence.

Well? What do you have to say?”, asked Mary.

I'm still counting”, Robert answered.

You're such an idiot”, Mary replied in a weary voice.

I've got to start somewhere. Tomorrow's Saturday. I'll go to the library and see what they have. Maybe there's more than two paragraphs”, said Robert.

Good. I need you out of the house. I have a deadline for a magazine article I'm working on and I don't need you moping around and asking me dumb questions”, Mary replied as she got up from the table and began clearing the dishes.

The next day at ten A.M. Captain Wallace walked into the Nautilus Beach Library. He crossed the carpeted floor observing an old man reading the free local newspaper. Some high school kids were seated at tables working on homework assignments and he walked past them and stopped at the librarian's desk. “Good morning Elsie”, he said.

Elsie Tillman looked up and over her black rimmed eyeglasses. “Good morning Captain. I saw you on television the other evening. Let me tell you, it's true that the camera adds ten pounds on people they are photographing. However, you look trim at the moment. Is there something I can help you with?”, she asked.

Since you saw me on television maybe you can supply me with written or printed information on the White family of Nautilus Beach”, said Wallace.

Certainly, but keep in mind that there is only one copy and it can not be borrowed”, said Miss Tillman.

That's why I brought this”, said Wallace holding up his briefcase.

Here you are Captain. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with”, said Elsie as she handed Wallace a blue colored leatherette covered book, “The History of Nautilus Beach, New Jersey.”

Wallace looked at the book that was handed to him. “Not very thick”, he said.

Not too much history to write about evidently”, said Elsie.

After walking to an empty table at the end of the library and near a window, Wallace placed his briefcase on the table, opened it and removed a yellow, lined notepad. He then took a seat, made himself comfortable, opened the book and began to read.

Nautilus Beach, New Jersey like Absecon Island was visited by the English settlers during the summer months for the collection of shellfish, such as clams, crabs and snails.

The first, white permanent settler to the island was Hiram White. Hiram White was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At age twenty five he left that city and traveled to the edge of the New Jersey Pine Barrens where he took a job as a wood cutter at Batsto Village. Batsto Village had been developed by Charles Read, a well known iron master. Read built the Batsto Iron Works on the Batsto River which along with its streams and tributaries contained large amounts of bog iron ore. Wood from the surrounding forest was taken and turned into charcoal used for the smelting of the iron.

It has been said, that during the Revolutionary War the ironworks produced pots, kettles and cannon balls for the Continental Army.

Sometime after the war White settled on one of the barrier islands off of what is now Atlantic County, New Jersey.

He made a living by farming and selling firewood to passing ships and cedar logs that were bought and transported to the Carolina's by lumber dealers. There, the logs were used in ship building and furniture production.

At the age of forty six and in the winter of eighteen hundred, White traveled back to Batsto Village. There he courted and married Priscilla Walls. When Spring arrived the newly weds returned to what was then called White's Island. There Hiram continued to farm and sell timber. Priscilla gave him four sons and a daughter. All the children were born at Batsto Village, except Rachel, the daughter who was said to have been born early.

William, the first born son graduated from The College Of New Jersey (Later Princeton University) where he studied divinity. He was ordained as a Presbyterian Minister and preached at the first church built in Burlington County. While attending college William became an amateur conchologist and when visiting his family on the island would spend hours examining the piles of shells that were on the beach. His brothers, Nathan, Benjamin and Solomon continued to farm and cut timber.

Hiram died in 1836. upon his death Priscilla took over both the farm and the timber business. At the same time along with her son Benjamin she saw that the once large cedar forest was almost depleted so she saw to it that a hotel was constructed and in 1840 White's Inn opened for business.

By 1845 Philadelphia and some New Jersey doctors were prescribing the taking of the salt air as a means of treatment for tuberculosis. Soon patients with the disease began renting rooms at the Inn during the summer months. Priscilla fed her guest with catches from the ocean and bay and with vegetables from the farm.

With the timber practically depleted Benjamin read for the law while Nathan and Solomon with the blessing of their mother began selling property lots and soon homes were built on the island. William returned, built a Presbyterian Church and began preaching.

Still absorbed in conchology, he read a paper produced by John Lightfoot, also a member of the clergy and a concologist. Lightfoot's paper was about the Chambered Nautilus, a member of the marine mollusk's family.

At a family meeting Benjamin announced that he was attempting to get the Camden and Atlantic Railroad to run a line to the island. However, the railroad was reluctant to lay track to a place called, White's Island. Saying, that in order to publicize the use of the railroad to a new destination, the railroad demanded that the island be re-named. William suggested calling the land, Nautilus Island, saying that the name could be associated with the sea and exotic places where the mollusk thrived. After a short conversation the family decided on the name, Nautilus Beach.

Benjamin then planned that if the railroad connected the island to its mainline in Camden the island could be incorporated as a city. Once that occurred the price of real estate would increase. He also planned to be the first mayor of the new municipality. He considered himself to be well qualified. He was a lawyer, knowledgeable of the law. He was a family man, having married Sally McFarland from Tuckerton. Most importantly he had made a large contribution to the war chest of the newly elected governor of New Jersey who as a physician saw the merit in Nautilus Beach becoming a health resort. At the same time the new governor had ties and influence with the railroads.

In1854 there were seven dwellings on the island. Six belonged to the White family including the church. With rail service from Camden to Nautilus Beach established tourists traveled to the island some to take in the salt air and water others to invest in property. In1855 the city of Nautilus Beach was incorporated. In the year 1846 Partheana White had been born to Benjamin and Sally White. Benjamin White served three terms as mayor of the city and under his leadership investments and businesses grew and prospered. One hundred years later Nautilus Beach is a thriving, seaside resort.

Wallace closed the book then out of curiosity looked for the publishing date, finding the year 1955. He got up from the table and walked to where Elsie Tillman sat at her desk behind a small stack of returned books. “Thank you Elsie”, he said.

Was the book of any help?”, she asked.

Somewhat, but not too much”, Wallace answered as he handed her the volume.

Wallace walked into his living room. He stopped and placed his briefcase on the floor next to his favorite chair, a leather covered, recliner. He looked towards the room that served as an office for both Mary and himself.

Mary looked up from her work. “How did you make out?”, she asked.

Not too well and nothing that I didn't already know. I did find out the year Partheana was born, but nothing else”, Robert answered.

Keep in mind that the Nautilus Press didn't come into existence until 1895. If you are going to find anything such as weddings or deaths in or near Nautilus Beach it would be in the Philadelphia newspapers. You're lucky you found her birth date, usually in those days that information was recorded in family bibles.”

How much help and information do you think I'd get from the editors of the Philadelphia newspapers when I tell them that I'm investigating a one hundred year old mystery?”, asked Robert.

Probably with your reputation with the news media, none. However, a former reporter, freelance writer and a member of several journalistic organizations such as, The National Writers Union, American Society of Journalists and Authors could

possibly look at anything they have in their archives”, Mary replied.

You think that you're pretty cute, don't you?”, he asked with a smile.

No, but you do. Besides, when we're in Philly, I want to go to Wanamaker’s. So, hotshot, it's going to cost you”, Mary replied.

No problem my dear. Both the paper and the department store are on Market Street. And, if you're a nice little girl I'll even buy you lunch, said Robert.

I'm so lucky that Horn and Hardarts are going out of business. Knowing you that's where you would want to take me for lunch”.

Hey at the time you could get a nice meal for twenty five or fifty cents. All you needed to do was get plenty of nickles from the cashier.”

Well, big spender, I've got news for you. Auto-mats went out just like the typewriter. So, if you're buying lunch I want to go to Bookbinders on Walnut Street”, said Mary.

Speaking of typewriters how do you like your new word processor?”, he asked.

It's like you. I had to get use to it”, she responded.

Smart ass”.

Yeah, but you love me”, said Mary.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Three

Philadelphia

 

Robert Wallace stood looking out of the window on the fourth floor of the Philadelphia Inquirer Building. He watched the traffic in the street below as well as the pedestrians on the sidewalks. As he did Mary Wallace scanned the thousands of articles preserved by the newspaper over the years. What she was looking for, using the microfiche was anything related to Nautilus Beach, New Jersey and in particular to the Benjamin White family and their daughter Partheana. Unfortunately, the years she was interested in were the 1860's, the years of the Civil War and most of the news articles dealt with the battles, and casualty lists of Union troops. Most mentioned were the Philadelphia Regiments. Still, Mary scanned the cards containing the society pages looking for anything related to the White's of Nautilus Beach, New Jersey. “What's this?”, she said aloud.

Robert turned from the window. “Find something?”, he asked.

It's a short article, saying, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin White announce the betrothal of their daughter Partheana to William Thomas Baker son of Doctor and Mrs. Phineas Albert Baker of Philadelphia. Miss White is the daughter of the Mayor of Nautilus Beach, New Jersey. William Baker is a Captain in the Infantry Regiment of Philadelphia. An April wedding is planned to be held at the seaside resort”, Mary said, reading the preserved article.

Anything else?”, he asked.

I'm still looking”.

There has to be something else”, he said.

Hey, listen Big Help. Just keep staring out the window and let me do the research. When I find something of interest I'll let you know”, Mary responded.

Just keep in mind that the fate of your lunch depends on your ability”, said Wallace with a smile.

Bingo! I've got it. Listen to this,

The Inquirer is reporting that on Saturday, April 12, 1862, Partheana White Baker, the bride of Captain William T. Baker of Philadelphia disappeared at her wedding reception held at the White Estate in Nautilus Beach New Jersey. Partheana was last seen according to witnesses leaving the reception area. Volunteers from the guest list searched the White's mansion, grounds and bay front to no avail.

Partheana White Baker is described as being approximately five feet tall, with brown hair and eyes and weighs about one hundred and fifteen pounds and is sixteen years old. Anyone knowing the whereabouts of this young woman is asked to contact Benjamin White, Mayor, Nautilus Beach, New Jersey a one thousand dollar reward is offered.

Well, what do you think of that?”, asked Mary.

It matches the old wives tale to some degree. However, the article does give us a date. April is still cool or even cold. It could mean that if she had somehow fallen into the bay waters and drowned, her body would take sometime to float to the surface because the water temperature would probably have been in the fifties slowing down decomposition”.

So, you think she drowned”, said Mary.

No, I'm just stating a fact. Many people then and since believe that Partheana left the reception to go to the outhouse. Somehow in the dark she made a wrong turn, slipped and fell into the bay. If she cried for help no one heard her over the music being played by the orchestra.”

Well that's possible. There was no indoor plumbing in those days in Nautilus Beach”, Mary replied.

There are other theories Mary. Others say that the marriage between Partheana and William Baker was an arranged union and Partheana rather than face the wedding night ran away”.

Where could she have gone?”, asked Mary.

Exactly. She was a sixteen year old girl, brought up in what luxury Benjamin White could give his daughter. In all probability all she knew of life was what she had on the island and what she could expect from her marriage. I would imagine that a young bride coming from wealth and influence would look forward to living in Philadelphia along with all that city's social set could offer. No, I don't see her running away”.

Well then handsome, what do you see?”, asked Mary.

I see you writing down all that information on the microfiche using shorthand and when you're finished we can go to lunch”.

Oh, you're so good to me. Just remember that after lunch we go to Wanamaker’s”.

*******************

On a cool, bright sunny, Saturday morning, Captain Robert Wallace stood watching a man driving a bulldozer clearing away weeds, brush, and other wild vegetation from the grounds of the White Estate. As he did he sipped hot coffee from a Styrofoam cup and wished that he had a lemon doughnut. He turned to see Sidney Kaplan, also known as Boo Kaplan approaching. “Good morning Boo”, said Wallace.

Good morning Bob. I hope you don't mind me being here. You

know that as head of the Historical Society and local museum I need to assure our members as well as myself that the estate and particularly the mansion is not damaged”.

No problem Boo. What I want at this time is the ability to bring in Ground Penetrating Radar. I intend to use it to either prove that the body of the missing bride or what remains of her is or is not buried on the grounds of the estate. I ordered the land clearing company to pile all of the weeds, dead trees and junk back near the bay. I hope that's alright with you and the Society”.

That's fine. Actually, you doing this saves us a lot of money. We've been wanting to do this for years. Thank you”.

Don't thank me. Thank Red's Morton. He's the guy paying the bills. Clearing the land cost two thousand and the company using the Ground Penetrating Radar is costing another fifteen hundred, but hey, this is his idea”.

Still, the White Estate is a preserved, historical site. I'm afraid that the mansion is in bad shape. The hurricane of 1944 caused a lot of damage.

We managed to save much of the furnishings and placed them in the museum warehouse for safe keeping. We hope that someday with proper financing we will be able to refurbish the mansion and put it back in the condition it was at the time the White's lived there.”

Good luck with that Boo. We both know that the general population of the Beach are a bunch of cheapskates. The people here don't support anything. Sports teams, opera, symphony orchestra's, plays and musical theater have all failed because no one in this town will attend, unless they can get in free. I'm sorry, but it appears to me that you and your historical society have a long wait for the funding you need”.

You could be right. Nonetheless, I have to sit back and hope. If you don't mind telling me, how does this radar thing work?”, asked Boo Kaplan.

It's really very simple to understand. Radar pulses are transmitted down, through the ground surface and the reflected signals can detect objects, changes in material and voids and cracks. So essentially what we're looking for is an object, such as the skeleton of a human body, or signs of a grave whether it's a shallow or deep burial site”, said Wallace.

 

Interesting, but you do know that on the night Partheana disappeared the guests at the wedding reception searched the grounds looking for her. It's pretty hard to imagine that if she was murdered the killer or killer would have had enough time to bury her”, said Kaplan.

I agree, still there is a possibility that she was murdered and the body was hidden and buried later”.

Do you think that's what happened?”, asked Boo.

I don't know what to think at this time. Right now I'm looking at all of the possibilities and attempting to prove or disprove the many theories that have been suggested over the years”, Wallace replied.

Well you're lucky. The original estate sat on twenty acres, but when real estate sales took off the White's sold most of the land. They kept just one acre, back here near the bay”, Kaplan replied.

Why did the city allow the place to run down?,”asked Wallace.

It was a combination of many things. Disinterest by the politicians, budget problems and a population that detaches itself from supporting anything historical in this town. In order to run the museum I have to go to the city commission with my hat in hand and beg for funds to keep it open.

Many times I paid the electric bill out of my own pocket. So, when it comes to operating the Nautilus Beach Historical Museum or paying to have the White's Mansion saved and refurbished right now the museum comes first. At least with the museum I do get donations from out of town visitors”.

Is the estate really worth saving?”,asked Wallace.

There again. It depends on who you ask. Ask me and I'll tell you yes. But, then again it deals with my livelihood. At the same time if the mansion was demolished and the grounds sold and built upon, you couldn't investigate the case of Partheana White, could you?”

I've been asking myself just why I'm investigating this case at all. As far as I know and I've gone back as far as I can in researching our records, Partheana White is still a missing persons case”, said Wallace.

Well, maybe you will be able to find something that can solve the town's local mystery one way or another. Meanwhile, if it's alright with you, I'd like to go down there near the bay where they're piling the grass and shrubs. I'm hoping that the bulldozers might dig up some artifacts”, said Kaplan.

Go right ahead, just be careful”, Wallace replied, speaking loudly over the sound of the bulldozer as it passed by.

*****************

Wallace arrived home at about five P.M. He entered the house and as usual looked towards the combination office and den that he and Mary shared. It was there that Mary worked daily writing magazine articles. When she saw him she smiled and said, “Well, how did it go? Did you find anything?”

If you call the ancient remains of a possum anything then the answer is yes. If you're asking if I found anything related to Partheana White, then the answer is no.”

Did you really think that her body was buried there on the estate?”

No, not really, but I had to look, examine the possibility. Looking on the bright side, I eliminated that theory”.

Then, what's you next plan?”, asked Mary.

Right now I have no plan. I was going to search inside the mansion, but Boo Kaplan told me that the place is run down and rotting away. It seems there was a lot of damage caused by the 1944 hurricane”.

What else did Boo have to say?”, asked Mary.

Nothing much. He did say that everything that was in the mansion had been removed and is in the Historical Society warehouse”.

Mary got up from the desk and walked into the living room. She looked at her husband then said, “It seems to me that if you want information on a case that goes back over a hundred years you will need help from someone who knows the history of the Beach. Why don't you ask Boo to work with you?”

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Four

Partners

 

Sidney Kaplan sat across from Robert Wallace in the Captains office. “So this is where Wallace the Great works. Seems like an ordinary office to me”, said Kaplan.

The title Wallace the Great comes from a news reporter that has a dislike for me. However, the truth is that my wife thinks I'm great. She refers to me as a “Great Pain In The Ass.” So it seems, as much as I hate to admit it, the reporter is right”, Wallace replied.

Kaplan smiled. “O.K. why am I here?”, he asked.

Actually, it's my wife's idea. She thinks that if you and I team up together we might be able to solve the question of what happened to Partheana White”, said Wallace.

Me? I don't know anything about police work or investigations. I'm a historian and a limited one at that. My background is primarily the history of Nautilus Beach. To tell you the truth I know about as much as you do about what happened to Partheana”, Kaplan replied.

How about this. I'll supply the police work, the investigation, the forensics and the leg work. At the same time you supply the history and the artifacts”.

What artifacts?”

I don't know. That's for you to think about, to study and to find. Look at anything and everything. Search for letters, diaries. journals, photographs, anything that might give us some direction. The way I see it Boo, that if we solve this mystery your museum will benefit and prosper”, said Robert.

How so?”

Mary has been in touch with Gus Hanson, the editor of the Nautilus Beach Press. If you and I team up she'll write an article about our search. Hopefully, this will do two things. One, the general public that might know something about our gal Partheana might come forward and give us some information and two, hopefully create enough curiosity that people will want to visit your museum”.

I could use the publicity. Advertising has been out of the question for sometime. Alright, you're the investigator. Where do you want me to start?”, asked Kaplan.

Boo, you're the curator and you know what you have. I'll leave it up to you”, said Wallace.

*****************

Two weeks went by before Wallace heard from Boo Kaplan. However, on a rainy Wednesday night both Mary and Robert were in the den. Mary was seated at her word processor working on a magazine article and Robert sat in his favorite chair, a leather covered recliner as he listened to music using his earphones. As a result of the earphones he didn't hear the doorbell ring. Mary got up and went to his chair and shook his shoulder. Surprised he opened his eyes, looked at her at he same time removing the phones. “What?”, he asked.

Someone's at the door”, she answered, as she returned to the desk.

Wallace got up, shut off the phonograph and went to the front door. Opening it he found Boo Kaplan standing

on the portico some what damp from the rain.

Boo? What's up? Do you have something?”, asked Wallace.

Maybe yes, maybe no. you're the detective so I'll let you be the judge”, boo answered.

Well, just don't stand there, come on in”, said Robert.

Thanks, but I'm kinda wet”, Boo responded.

Who is it?”, called Mary.

Boo Kaplan and he says he's wet from the rain”, Wallace answered.

Both of you go into the kitchen. I'll get you a towel Boo. Robert make a pot of coffee”, said Mary as she walked to the linen closet.

Wallace pointed to a chair. “Have a seat then tell me what brings you out here on a rain swept night”, he said.

Thank you”, he said to Mary as she handed him a thick terry towel. After wiping his face he continued. “I was in the rear of the museum going over some items and I found two documents. Both of them are old. One is a letter, the other a telegram”.

And, these are related to our mystery, I assume”, said Robert.

Of course, why else would I be here?”, asked Kaplan.

Naturally, O.K. what have you got?”, asked Wallace.

I'll start with the telegram. Keep in mind that we're dealing with the eighteen hundreds. The telegraph is basically new at that time, so new that Western Union hadn't even been formed yet. What we have here is a telegram from Phineas Baker to Benjamin White. The message is dated July 18, 1863 and reads as follows: I am sad to inform you of the death of my son and your son-in-law Captain, William Baker stop. The War Department has informed us that William was killed at a place called Gettysburg, Pennsylvania stop. His remains will be sent to us here in Philadelphia stop. Further information in regards to funeral services will be sent when all plans are finalized stop. Regards Phineas Baker.

This telegram was sent by the Independent Telegraph Company, located at the time on Dock Street in Philadelphia”, said Boo as he placed the yellow, aged document on the kitchen table.

So, William died just over a year after the wedding”, said Mary.

Yes, but here is something else that's interesting. I found this letter written to Sally White. It's a letter of condolences from a Mrs. Harriet Bome of Philadelphia. Evidently Mr. and Mrs. Bome spent summer days at Nautilus Beach and the two women became friends. Anyway, here is what she had to say: My dear Sally,

There are no words that I can possibly say about the loss of your Partheana. At the same time I wish I were there to give you comfort.

I must at this time inform you of the rumor circulating both in New Jersey and Philadelphia that Partheana ran away from an arranged marriage. You and I both know this not to be true.

I am as familiar with William Baker as I am of Partheana and know positively that both he and she were deeply in love. In private conversation Partheana related to me how much she looked forward to marriage, being a wife and eventually, a mother.

It is being said, that William, despondent over Partheana's disappearance deliberately placed himself in harms way at Gettysburg. How much of this is true I do not know.

I will close now. May God keep you, Yours in devoted friendship,

Harriet

Interesting. Two voices from the past. One telling us that Partheana White at age sixteen was in love and looking forward to her marriage. At the same time giving evidence that Partheana was not in an arranged marriage and did not run away. Mrs. Bome also wrote that William Baker sadden at the loss of his love might have committed suicide in battle. By writing that, she might have insinuated two things. First, as she mentioned, William was thought to have been despondent and rather than face life without Partheana gave up his life. Nonetheless, at the same time she presents another thought. Did William Baker choose to die because he was guilty of Partheana's disappearance?

If so this becomes another missing piece of the puzzle. Phineas Baker's telegram to Benjamin White if one analyzes it is professional and right to the point. He notifies Benjamin White of the death of his son-in-law. There is no mention of William being despondent only that his body would be shipped to Philadelphia for burial. This was common for the elite families in the Civil War. They could afford the embalming, preparation of the body, cost of the coffin and the shipping. Where the average family could not. At the same time Phineas sent a telegram, not a letter. We'll never know the exact reason for William's death, only that he died in battle”, said Wallace.

Then, what I've brought you is worthless?”, asked Kaplan.

Not at all. If this was a murder case being tried in a court of law, your information could be considered hearsay and not admissible as evidence. However, this mystery will only be tried in a court of opinion. Right now what you have discovered and again, in my opinion, is that Partheana did not run away on the night of her wedding and William Baker is not a murder suspect.”, Wallace stated, assuring Boo.

Mary carried the coffee pot from the stove to the kitchen table poured and filled three cups. “Do you want cream?”, she asked Boo.

No. Black is fine, he answered.

Well, where do you go from here Robert?”, she asked.

I'd like to look inside the mansion, if that's possible”, Robert replied.

That's no problem. The place is run down as I've mentioned. There's a hole in the roof so large that you could pass a Volkswagen through it. That's allowed rain and snow to enter. In the winter freezing rain expands the wood. In the summer mildew and mold grows on the walls. However, just let me know when you want to go in and I'll unlock the front door. I'll bring a crowbar, hammer and nails.

How about Saturday? I intend to do this investigation on my days off. That way Reds Morton can't accuse me of charging the city overtime pay”, Wallace added.

No problem Saturday it is. Nine A.M. alright with you?”, asked Boo.

Make it ten. I'll bring the coffee and doughnuts”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Five

The Mansion

 

On a Saturday morning, June 7, 1975, Robert Wallace stood on the decaying front porch of the White Estate. In one hand he held a white paper bag containing `a Styrofoam cup of black coffee and two doughnuts, one lemon, the other plain. In the other hand he held a cup of coffee from which time to time he took sips. He watched Sidney (Boo) Kaplan work the crowbar and listened as the eight by four foot sheet of plywood groaned in protest as it was pried away from the front door of the building. Once removed, Boo inserted a key and unlocked the entryway. Wallace followed the curator into the structure.

He was met with the odor of decay. Dead and dying mildew and new mold grew on the plaster walls. The only light was that that came through the open doorway and the cracks in the plywood covering the windows. Wallace reached into his pocket and removed a flashlight. As he did he heard the sound of flapping wings as pigeons and sparrows flew about trying to escape the intruders. Turning on the flashlight he took his time looking around. Then turning to Boo said, “If you're going to try to refurbish this place, it's going to take you a month just to remove the bird shit”.

They come in through the hole in the roof. We've been lucky so far, no bats”, Boo replied.

This is quite a place. How many rooms are there?”, asked Wallace.

Twenty or twenty two. Some people count the large walk in closets as small rooms,” Boo answered.

And this was built in what year?” Wallace inquired.

It was started in 1855. Some say it took awhile to build because the stone floor tiles we're standing on came from Italy. The windows had glass that came from Salem County. Unfortunately, the kids broke most of the glass out by tossing rocks,”Said Kaplan.

I wish we had the blueprints”,

Wallace replied.

So do I. However, at that time there was no building codes or building inspectors. Hell, we don't even know who the architect was that designed the mansion”, Boo answered.

Well, one thing is certain. They don't build them like that today”, Wallace mentioned.

That's right. For instance, the mansion sits on fifty cedar pilings that were driven into the sand in order to prevent the building settling. The story is that when the railroad began construction of the bridges that crossed the bays, Benjamin was able to have the barge along with the steam operated pile driver floated to his property.

Also, the beams and frame work are all cedar. That prevented termite destruction. That wood is just as good today as it was then”, said Boo.

Wallace walked slowly from the entrance way. He stood looking, thinking, wondering what it must have been like back then, back in 1862. his eyes peered at the winding staircase that went to the rooms upstairs. Changing his gaze he looked beyond the stairwell to the rooms behind and he walked towards them. Boo followed.

Entering a large room to his left he stood and looked at the row after row of empty book shelves. “I take it that this was once the library”, said Robert.

Yes, as a matter of fact we are in possession of nearly three hundred volumes. I have volunteers cataloging them as we speak. I haven't had time to look at them myself”, said Kaplan.

Wallace continued on out of the library. “What's back here?”, he asked.

What they called the parlor. Today we call it the living room,” Boo explained.

Robert walked into the large dining room. “Quite a place”, he said.

Keep in mind that when the mansion was finished it also served as City Hall. I imagine a lot of politics was discussed at the dinners Benjamin held here,' said Boo.

Is this where the wedding reception was held?”, asked Wallace.

Boo laughed. “This place has twenty two rooms. Keep walking to your left. When you pass through those open sliding doors you'll be in the ballroom. That's where the wedding reception was held”, he said.

Wallace walked slowly into the ballroom, using the flashlight to guide his way in the dark interior. He shined his light from wall to wall, seeing the mahogany paneling, the once polished oak floor where couples danced and the constructed stage, built for the orchestra's that played for the White's amusement and that of their guests. He stopped and analyzed, imagining fifty or more guests seated at tables all honoring the newly weds. He pictured one large table that held nothing but gifts. In his mind he visioned a hundred or more candles or oil lamps that illuminated the room. The orchestra would play soft, soothing tunes as those seated ate their meal. Relatives and guests would approach the table where the wedding party sat and offer their congratulations.

When the dining was almost over the orchestra would begin playing. In the eighteen sixties waltzes were popular and the guests stood and watched as William Baker and Partheana walked out on to the dance floor and began to waltz. After the first dance other couples would have proceeded to the floor and the newly weds returned to their table. Then, sometime that late afternoon or evening Partheana disappeared.

Boo Kaplan looked at Wallace and said, “Hey, are you alright. You look like you were in a trance”.

Wallace smiled, “I was just trying to imagine what it was like that day over a hundred years ago. Where were the privies located?”, he asked.

Out back naturally, behind the kitchens”, Boo answered.

Kitchens? There was more than one?”

Oh yeah. Benjamin had one built out back. It was used in the summer. He found that the kitchen in the main house heated the place to the point that it became uncomfortable.”.

So, if the bride, seated at the reception table had to use the privie she would have got up and walked where?”, asked Wallace.

If you look at the situation logically, she would have got up from the table and walked into the kitchen. From there she would have walked outside to where the outhouses stood”, said Kaplan.

And, one of the theories has been that she fell into the bay and drowned, was abducted or simply ran away. As far as I'm concerned we can forget the idea that she got lost in the dark, fell into the water and drowned. The light from the candles or oil lamps would have been visible as it shined through the window glass. At the same time the orchestra would have been playing. If Partheana was disoriented in the dark, she would have heard the sound of the orchestra and walked towards it. That leaves abduction and run away as two choices. If Partheana was abducted no one produced a ransom note. Think about it. Benjamin White and the White family were the riches people on the island. Doctor Phineas Baker was wealthy in his own right, yet no one demanded money for the girls' safe return.

Why would the bride run away? We have written evidence that Partheana in a conversation with Mrs. Boem looked forward not only to the marriage but also to motherhood. As you know we have been over the run away factor before, so let's just ignore it all together”, said Wallace

That's O.K. with me. Do you want to go upstairs?”, asked Boo.

Yes, I want to see the bedrooms. Do you happen to know which one was Partheana's”, asked Robert.

No, sorry I don't”, Boo replied as the two men walked up the staircase. When they reached the top of the landing Boo said, “The master bedroom is right there”, he said pointing to his left. The other bedrooms are entered off of this hall as you can see”, he continued.

Wallace walked to the nearest door, opened it and walked in. He stood in the empty room, turned on his flashlight and looked around. “I see they had the rooms wall papered”, he said.

Not only wall papered, but the best paper at the time. In those days the lowest grade of wallpaper was made from straw ground into pulp. The best quality was made from cotton or linen rags. This is the best quality”, said Kaplan.

How do you know?”, asked Robert.

I took samples years ago and had them analyzed”, Boo answered.

Wallace walked over to the closet then reached in and tapped the back wall of wardrobe.

If you're looking for secret passages probably fifty people looked for them before you. Benjamin hired Pinkerton Detectives to investigate the disappearance of his daughter. According to what I've read that was one of the things they looked for. They found nothing,” Kaplan offered.

Wallace stepped back out of the closet. Looking at Boo he said, “And just what were you reading?”, he asked.

Sally White's Day Planner, or diary”, Kaplan replied.

I'd like to see it”, said Wallace.

Sure, but I'm afraid it won't be too much help. She only wrote down what we already know. I think she was too despondent to write about Partheana's missing. After writing about the search she only entered things like appointments, invitations, teas, things like that”.

Still, I'd like to read it”, said Robert.

It's at the museum. I think I know where I put it. I'll drop it off”.

Good, now where does that door go to?”

The attic. The place with the hole in the roof and a half a ton of bird shit on the floor. If you want to look at it, be my guest. I'll wait here”, warned Kaplan.

No thanks. I'll take your word for it”.

Good, the attic's empty anyway. We cleaned it out years ago”, said Boo.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Six

Writings

 

Captain Robert Wallace sat at his office desk reading reports submitted by his staff in relation to on going, but cold case investigations. As he read each one he wrote his initials in the upper left hand corner of each document, indicating that he had read and approved the written accounts. From time to time he would stop, rub his eyes, take a sip of luke warm coffee from the stained mug he had been drinking out of for years, then, continue to read again.

He looked up at the light tapping sound on his open office door. Standing in the doorway was Detective Carol Myers. “Excuse me Captain. A man calling himself a Mr. Kaplan left this package for you”, she said as she walked to the desk and handed the brown paper wrapped parcel to Wallace.

Thank you Carol”, he said.

Although interrupted by the arrival of what he was certain was Priscilla White's diary, he fought the urge to unwrap the book and read it. Instead, he open his briefcase, placed the diary inside, then closed the case and returned to the boring task he had been doing most of the morning.

At four thirty that afternoon Wallace walked into his house and placed the briefcase on the floor next to his favorite chair. He looked at his wife as he was standing near to her desk. “What's for dinner?”, he asked.

That's it? What's for dinner? No, hello. No, how are you. No, how was your day? Just, what's for dinner? O.K. hotshot, dinner is a beef stew that's been cooking in the crock pot all day. Take it or leave it”, said Mary.

With or without dumplings?”, asked Wallace.

Without. If you want dumplings you make them”, Mary responded.

No problem. As you know I'm a wiz in the kitchen”, said Robert.

Yeah, you're a wiz. Anything happen today that I should know about?”, she asked.

Still, the inquisitive reporter, aren't you? No, nothing. Boo dropped off Sally White's diary today. I'll look at it after supper. Right now I want to shower and get comfortable.

Interesting. Can I take a peek at it while you're in the shower?”, Mary asked.

Sure it's in my briefcase. It's a brown wrapped package. The diary is an antique so you better wear gloves. You'll find a couple of pairs of rubber gloves in the case. After I shower, I'll make the dumplings”, said Robert as he left the room.

Showered and refreshed and dressed in tan Bermuda shorts and a white Tee-Shirt Wallace walked barefoot into the kitchen. As he was reaching for the flour and baking powder from the kitchen cabinets

Mary called to him. “Did you know that Pathreana White had two sisters?”, she asked.

No”, he answered.

Sally mentioned them in her diary. One girls name was Sophronia the other was called Philomena”..

Boo never mentioned any sisters”, said Robert, as he turned up the heat on the crock pot.

Maybe he didn't think it was important”, said Mary.

Possibly. What else did she write?”

She was concerned about the girl's handwriting. She wrote, “Although I have purchased Platt Rogers Spencer and Rice's book, The System of Business and Ladies Penmanship, I find that the girls are still writing poorly. I can understand Partheana's problem, her being left handed, but there is no excuse for Sophronia and Philomena. I must admit however, that Philomena being very young has a lot to do with her problem. I must speak to Mr. Harris”.

I wonder who Mr. Harris was?”, asked Robert.

I don't know. When will the dumplings be ready?”, asked Mary.

About ten minutes. Looking forward to them, aren't you?”

Oh yeah. I don't know what I'd do without you in the kitchen”.

Probably serve beef stew without dumplings”, said Robert.

That evening, after dinner, Robert Wallace picked up the diary then took a seat in his chair. Opening the journal of Sally White he began to read. As he did Mary returned to her word processor and continued to work on an article she was writing.

Listen to this. This is dated, Friday, January 28, 1859. “Today I met with the girls tutor. Mr. Harris has indicated that he would be seeking a raise in salary after the summer. The reason he presented to me is the fact that Mrs. Macmillan was raising his rent at her boarding house. I will discuss the matter with Benjamin. However, since we are already paying him twenty three dollars and ten cents per month I see no reason to pay him more.”

Well, we now know who Mr. Harris was”, said Robert.

We also know the Partheana was thirteen when Priscilla made this entry in 1859, but how old were the other sisters? We know that Philomena was the youngest daughter, but how old was Sophronia?”, Said Wallace

Why is the age of Sophronia so important to you?', asked Mary.

In the eighteen hundreds it was usual for the daughters of the rich to marry young, say fourteen to sixteen years old, Normally, the average age of the groom was twenty five. The difference in age between men and women, so they say, is that the man played the field, while the girls didn't have to”, said Robert.

What does that have to do with Sophronia?”, asked Mary.

If she was older than Partheana was she single or married? Keep in mind that arranged marriages existed then as they do now. So, if she was married, who was her husband? Was he at the wedding reception?”, said Robert.

I don't see the significance” Mary added.

A single sibling of marriage age could be jealous, angry or provoked to the point of doing bodily harm”, Wallace replied.

So, now you have the girls sisters as suspects?”, asked Mary.

Not at all. However, right now everyone that was at the wedding reception at the mansion could be a suspect”, said Wallace.

A suspect of what. You don't know that a crime was committed”, said Mary.

True, but I could have a case of sibling rivalry And that could lead to something”, Robert responded.

Well, if you want to know the age of the White daughters you'll probably need the family bible where the births, death, and marriages should be recorded”, advised Mary

I'll ask Boo in the morning. Right now, I intend to read this diary and see what else I can find”, said Robert.

While Mary worked, Robert read. He turned page after page of the diary, looking, searching for any information, any piece of the puzzle that would fit and create what he was after, the complete picture.

Wallace looked towards Mary and said, “This is interesting. She wrote, “The Bakers sent word that they would be arriving for the Easter weekend, April 22, 23, 24. They requested reservations for three. Their son William will be accompanying them.

Upon their arrival I will inform them that the Reverend William White will conduct a sunrise service here on the grounds of the estate”.

That Easter date might have been when William Baker and Partheana first met”, said Mary.

Could be. This diary is for the year 1859. I've got to see if Boo has anymore. Maybe each girl kept a journal”, Wallace replied.

And, the family bible”, Mary added.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Seven

Samplers

A steady rain beat down on the boardwalk and a wind blowing in off of the ocean forced him to walk with his head slightly bowed. As Robert Wallace walked he kept Priscilla White's diary safe and dry under his coat. From time to time he ducked under the lowered store front awnings attempting to stay as dry as possible. Still, there were a few shops that weren't open for business and lacked sunshades. When he came to those places the wind blew precipitation in his face. Reaching the front door of the museum Wallace tried the door and found it locked. Aggravated, he shook the door a few times and getting no response banged on the thick, glass pane window. He stepped back when he saw Boo Kaplan emerge from of a back room.

After Kaplan unlocked the door and allowed Wallace to enter the museum he looked at the police Captain and said, “Sorry, I was in the back taking inventory. With no one else here I locked the door”.

You being sorry doesn't prevent me from getting a wet ass. Do you have any towels?”

There's paper towels in the dispenser in the restroom”, Boo answered and pointed.

Wonderful. Before this gets wet take it and thank you”,Wallace said handing Priscilla White's diary to Boo.

I hope it was useful”, Boo answered as Wallace walked to where the paper towels were.

It was. Now, I need the family bible or bibles” Wallace replied as he walked into the restroom.

Once inside Robert removed his blazer, then shook the rain from it. Finding a hook on the back of the

lavatory door he placed the garment on it hoping that there, it would dry. Then, taking several paper towels from the dispenser, wiped his head, then his face, finally finishing by combing his hair while looking into the large mirror that was installed on the wall over the sinks.

Almost dry except where the rain had soaked through to his shirt, Wallace took his blazer and walked out on to the museum floor. Not seeing Boo, he yelled, “Now where in the hell are you?”

I'm back here in storage”, Kaplan answered.

Wallace walked towards the sound of the curator's voice. Seeing an open door at the rear of the large room he passed through. Once inside the storage room he stooped and stood among row after row of artifacts. Old wool bathing suits were hanging from wooden clothes hangers. Straw hats and Panama hats were resting on steel shelving. Books and newspapers were stacked one upon another, some stacks were almost six feet tall.

He turned his attention to Boo and said, You're damn lucky you haven't had a fire in here. Did you ever hear of a combustible fire?”

Now you see why I need more financing. I've run out of room.”

Hey, I believe you. What about the family bible?”

Sorry, if there is one, I don't have it. What did you need for exactly', asked Boo.

I'm trying to come up with the ages of Partheana's two sisters”.

If that's all you need then I can solve your problem”, said Kaplan.

How?”

"Sally, like many of her day did needle work. Fortunately for you I have several samplers sewed by her, one for each child. I have son Williams, which is pretty bad shape. However, those that she did for the girls are in excellent condition, So, far we haven't found any relating to the other men in the family. However, I believe that we have one that was done right after Partheana's disappearance”, said Kaplan as he placed the samplers on the counter top.

Let's start with the birth dates, said Wallace.”

Alright, here's the first sampler, related to Partheana”.

Wallace looked at the tan, square piece of linen and saw the needlework done by Priscilla White over a hundred years ago. He saw the alphabet and numerals stitched on the fabric and then, the following message,

Behold the Daughter of

Innocence, how Beautified

is the mildness of her heart

Partheana White

Born Feb 18, 1849

Taking a slightly damp note pad he then wrote down the information.

Are you ready for the next one?”, asked Boo.

Yes.”

This one refers to Sophronia” Kaplan sad as he placed another sampler on the counter top.

Once again Wallace read the embroidered words on a piece of fabric,

On this Day, God Gave

Us A Most Precious Gift

Sophronia White

Born May 10, 1849

Well, we now know that Sophronia was the middle daughter. She would have been approaching her thirteenth birthday when Partheana disappeared,” Wallace mentioned as he added the information to his notes.

Here's the one Priscilla did about Philomena”, Kaplan replied as he again placed the sampler on the counter top.

Wallace looked at the textile and read;

A Daughter Is Special

Daughter is Dear

A Precious gift From Above

A Daughter is a Treasure To

Forever Hold And To Love

Philomena White

Born November 10 1851

Didn't you say you had one that might have been done, soon after

 

Partheana's disappearance?”, asked Robert.

Yes here it is. I don't know just how valuable it is to our investigation, hey, you're the cop. You decide”, said Boo placing the last sampler on top of the others.

Wallace let the fabric lay just where it was and then he read;

All To Myself I

Think Of you

Think Of The Things

We Use To Do

Think Of The Things

We Use To Say

Think Of Each Happy

Yesterday

Sometimes I Sigh

 

Sometimes I Smile

Keeping You In My

Heart All The While

April 1865

 

According to this, she embroidered this three years after Partheana went missing. As a result, it doesn't tell us anything, other then the fact that a mother was yearning for her lost daughter.” said Wallace.

I wish I had the White Family bible, but I don't, Kaplan said sadly.

Well, you don't, and if you did have it I wouldn't expect to find anything really beneficial. Usually, the thing to do at that time was to register births, deaths, and marriages. We already have that information. We know when and where. What we need now is why and how. Speaking of how, how many other diaries do you have in storage?”, asked Wallace.

I think there are six or seven, but most of the diaries that I have read were kept long after Partheana vanished”, Boo said.

Did you read them before or after you got involved in this investigation?”, the Captain.

Before”.

Then, you weren't looking for any leads or written clues in reference to her disappearance at that time”.

No, as I recall I was looking for family names and trying to match relatives that still live in this town”.

O.K. I suggest that we divide the dairies and not only read them, but examine them. If and when we find something we write it down then meet and discuss our findings and its relationship to Partheana's departure from the estate”, said.

Alright, let me go get them”, Kaplan said as he walked toward the storeroom.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Eight

Parlor Games

 

Robert Wallace got comfortable in his recliner. Then he opened one of the dairies he had borrowed from the Nautilus Beach Museum. Looking at the first page he read the name of Sophronia White written he suspected by her own hand, over a hundred years ago.

He turned the delicate, aged pages looking first at those containing dates and times. What he was looking for was the relationship between the writer and her sister Partheana and any signs of sibling rivalry. He took his time reading. What he did notice was the fact that the writer had just turned eleven years old on May 10, 1860 and had made and entry on her birthday. It read: Dear diary, today is my birthday. I am now eleven years old. Mother and father gave me a birthday party. There was a cake with white icing. We also had candy and apple cider.

After having cake we played games. I won at Charades. Agatha Winslow won at Blind Man's bluff while sister Partheana won playing Graces. She caught the most wooden rings. Since Philomena was the youngest girl at my party, us older girls allowed her to win at Hide and Go Seek. Later, we went outside and played Croquet. Octavia Baker won the game. She plays often in Philadelphia.

Wallace got up out his chair and walked to the desk that he and Mary shared. There, he opened his briefcase and placed the dairy he had been reading inside. He stood there a moment looking at the other two journals that had once belonged to Sophronia White. He reached in and removed a red leather covered diary, closed his briefcase and returned to his chair. Seated again he opened the journal and noticed that the first page contained the date, 1861. “Good, he thought to himself. With any luck, the dairies are written in order, year after year”

Robert turned and read the pages slowly, reading the thoughts of a young girl in the past: Dear diary, today, August 2, 1861 mother took us girls to Philadelphia. We rode the train from Nautilus Beach to Camden, then took the ferry across the Delaware River. Partheana and I stood by the rail all the way across.

We went to visit the Baker family. Partheana was anxious to see William, while I was hoping to see Octavia. She is so much fun.

Wallace turned to the next page, dated August 4, 1861 and read: Dear diary, I am back home after spending two days in Philadelphia. I must admit that I had a fine time, particularly with Octavia

Baker, William's cousin. Alone together we vowed to be best friends forever. Octavia wrote a note and gave it to me. It reads,

When this you see remember me.

Wallace continued reading finding nothing but the writings of a child at the time. Sophronia wrote frequently about events and happenings in her life.

September 7, 1861, Dear dairy, today the Bakers arrived for the weekend. How happy I was to see Octavia.

She and I, along with Philomena caught crabs out of the bay. Later, Mother held an ice cream social. After-wards we played games.

Octavia suggested that we play pick up sticks, a new game that she brought from Philadelphia. It is so much fun. It took several games before I was able to win. While we played, Philomena and mother played Tiddy Winks.

After dinner we watched William do hand shadows on a white sheet that hanged on the wall. He is very good.

Wallace closed the diary when Mary came into the room. “Did you find anything interesting?”, she asked.

Not really, just the writings of a young lady written a hundred years ago”.

Could it be that you're missing something?”, asked Mary.

Possibly”.

Do you mind if I read the dairies? Maybe I find something that you missed”.

Be my guest, but I doubt if you'll find anything that I don't already know”.

That could be, just remember that I was an investigative reporter. I'd still be doing it if it wasn't for you”.

Well, help yourself to these two journals. One is from 1860. The other is from 1861. If you find anything don't hesitate to let me know. Meanwhile, I'll read the last one, 1862”, said Wallace as he handed the two diaries to his wife.

Wallace then opened Sophronia White's diary, dated 1862 and began to read: Dear diary, today, February 2, I heard father and mother talking about the plans for Partheana's wedding. It seems that they are concerned about William Baker's safety, since he has taken an officers commission in a Philadelphia Regiment.

Wallace turned page after page, ignoring those that didn't pertain to Partheana or her wedding. Frustrated and somewhat bored he turned to Mary and said, “Well, have you found anything?”

No, not yet”.

I'm beginning to think that we won't find anything. This could be just a waste of time”, replied Wallace.

Don't tell me you're ready to quit. Isn't it you that constantly maintains that there is always evidence and that the lack of evidence is simply a lack of effort by the investigator?”

Yeah, but in this case I had a big mouth.”

I'm sure that you have had tougher cases then this

Yeah, but the evidence I was looking for in those cases wasn't over a hundred years old”.

Keep reading Robert. Something will turn up. I'm certain.”

Wallace turned the pages, then stopped when he caught the word, wedding. He read carefully. Dear diary, today March 26, 1862 Partheana insisted that I be her maid of honor. Darling Philomena is to be the flower girl. How wonderful it will be with all sisters involved. However, I will dearly miss Partheana. Of course she will reside in Philadelphia near Williams parents.

I will miss our talks at night in our bedroom. Whispering to each other so mother couldn't hear us. I will surely miss our games that we played together, shuttle cock, coquette, graces and hide and go seek. She always wins at hide and go seek. No one can ever find her. Maybe we can play before the wedding”.

Son of a bitch!”, said Wallace.

What's wrong?”, asked Mary

Sophronia wrote in her diary, No one can ever find Partheana when she plays hide and go seek”.

So, what does that mean? You searched the mansion and the grounds yourself and you found nothing”, Mary replied.

Yeah, I know, but damn it, I'm close. So close I can feel it. I've got to call Boo”, said Robert as he got up and went to the telephone. He dialed the number, then waited impatiently as he listened to the ringing tone. Finally, Kaplan's wife picked up the receiver and answered, “Hello?”

Sandra? This is Bob Wallace. Is Boo there?”

Yes, wait and I'll get him. Boo”, she called.

Boo Kaplan came on the line. “Wally? What's up?”, he asked.

I think I've finally got something concrete besides my head. In Sophronia White's 1862 diary, she mentions that Partheana can never be found when they play hide and go seek. Do you see the connection? She can never be found?”

Sorry Wally, I don't get it.

Boo, somewhere in that house Partheana had a special hiding place. A place that hid her so well that she always won the game”.

Well if she did. Why didn't she come out of hiding on the evening of her wedding day?”, asked Kaplan.

Maybe she couldn't”.

What do you mean?”

I don't know, but I want to search the mansion again if it's alright with you”.

No problem. Is Saturday O.K. with you?”, asked Boo.

Fine, how about ten in the morning? And, wear old clothes we're going to be doing a lot of searching, probably in a lot of dirty places”.

That's alright with me, but let me tell you what I found”.

And what would that be?”

I read Sally White's journal. You can tell that she was grieving. Listen to this. I'll read it to you”, The summer is coming to a close and yet, there is no sign of my poor missing daughter. Where, oh where are you my darling Partheana. The last time I gazed upon you was when you left the table to go outside.

We looked and looked for you my darling, but alas you were no where to be found. Still, I feel your presence as I grieve. I miss you so.

Interesting, in fact it sort of fits in with my theory”, said Wallace.

And what would that be?”

I'll tell you tomorrow. I still want to chew on this for a while”.

I understand, see you tomorrow.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Nine

Ally, Ally Oxen, Free

Wallace and Kaplan met the next morning. “I hope you know where to look. We covered every inch of this place and found nothing”, said Boo.

Not quite. We passed when it came to the attic, remember?” Wallace replied.

So now you think there's a secret passage or something in the attic”.

We won't know until we get there.”

The two men climbed the winding staircase to the top floor. Wallace turned on the flashlight he carried and shined the beam into the dark interior. Inside the attic his light beam reflected off of dust, dirt, dried leaves from trees, that had been carried on the wind and deposited through the gaping hole in the roof. Then, seeing that the loft ceiling was high enough for him to stand he entered. Kaplan followed. They stood silently looking around seeing nothing, but empty space. “Well, as I thought there's nothing here. We're just wasting time Wally”.

Wallace stood in silence, concentrating, moving the light beam back and forth hoping to find one piece of evidence that would prove his notion that the disappearance of Partheana was somehow related to this part of the mansion. He turned to Boo and asked, “How many items were in here when you and the historical society took possession of this place?”

Actually, there was so many things stored here that it took us three days to move it, unload and place it in the museum”, Boo answered.

I want to look and see what you took out of this attic, if it's alright with you”, said Wallace

No problem”.

Good, I'll meet you at the museum”.

Twenty minutes later Wallace and Kaplan walked into the back storeroom of the gallery. “As you can see by the amount of objects we have stored here, that you have your work cut out for you,” said Boo.

You may be right, but I've got a feeling that I'll know what I'm looking for when I see it”, Wallace replied.

O.K. then allow me to give you a tour of the place. Please don't touch anything. Remember some of these items are old and fragile”.

Before we start, here's the diaries I borrowed”.

Thanks, what you see hanging there on the clothes poles are the dresses the girls and women wore. Underneath and situated on the floor are the high, button shoes. Over here, on the shelf are the bonnets and hats the girls and Sally had”, said Boo.

Girls, girls, and women. Didn't you find anything that belonged to the men in the family?”, asked Wallace.

Certainly, right here next to the ladies bonnets you'll see Benjamin White's smoking cap and the high silk hat he wore when out in public”, boo answered.

A smoking cap? I can't imagine a man putting on a cap when he wanted to smoke his pipe or light a cigar”.

They put them on to keep the smell of tobacco out of their hair”, said Boo.

Is that you found that belonged to old man White?”

Yes, except for two paper collars”.

He sure as hell didn't leave much behind, did he?”, asked Wallace.

Well, he was the son of the founder, the first mayor of Nautilus Beach and the guy who incorporated the city”, Said Boo.

Anything else?”, asked Wallace.

A ton of papers, letters, books, china, silverware, glasses and some luggage”, Kaplan answered.

Luggage?”

Certainly. Remember Nautilus Beach became a railroad destination. The White family traveled back and forth to Philadelphia. Benjamin on business the girls to visit friends where they often spent a weekend”.

What's that blue thing there in the corner. I looks like a sled, asked Wallace.

That my friend is the trunk of Hiram White, the founder and settler of this island. It dates back to the 1700's. What you think is a sled is what they call sleigh handle As an antique it's priceless”.

What was inside?”, asked Wallace.

We don't know. The trunk is locked and was handmade out of brass. We never found a key that would open it”.

Why don't you just force it open?

Which word don't you understand, antique or priceless?”, asked Boo.

Aren't you curious to see what it may contain?”

Certainly”.

What would you say, if I told you that I know a guy who can open that lock and there would be no damage”.

I'd say that there isn't anyone who can pick that lock. I've had so called amazing locksmiths try to pick that lock and they all quit because they were afraid to damage the trunk”.

Are you willing to give my man a try?”

Only if you're willing to pay for any damages done in his attempt”, said Boo. “Hell, that's easy. Red's Morton is responsible for all costs occurred. Still, don't worry. I know this guy. Where's your telephone?”

In my office”.

Wallace walked into Kaplan's office, lifted the receiver and dialed the number. The was four rings before someone picked up on the other end of the line, “Hello?”

McKenna? This is Captain Wallace. What are you doing?”

Watching a movie on the T.V.”

You can watch it when it re-runs. I want you to pick up Jimmy Galini. Tell him I need a lock opened and it's worth a hundred. Bring him here to the museum”.

Yes sir”.

Who is Jimmy Galini?”, asked Boo.

An old time burglar and safe cracker. He's been in an out of reform schools and prisons most of his life. However, old age and his fourth wife has made him settle down and go straight. Still, they haven't made a lock that he can't open”, said Wallace as he walked back to the storeroom.

Robert Wallace stood looking at the blue painted and once leather covered wooden trunk. He noticed that one of the sleigh handles was missing and that all of the metal on the trunk, except for the brass lock was rusted. “What happened to the other handle?”, asked Wallace.

We don't know. The trunk was in this condition when we removed it from the mansion attic”,

Do you happen to have a tape measure?”, asked Robert.

No, will a yard stick do?”

It will have to do”.

Boo picked up a yard stick from one of the storeroom shelves and handed it to Wallace. “What are you going to measure?”, asked Kaplan.

The trunk naturally”.

Why?”

Right now? Just to prove my theory to myself.

And just what is your theory?”

Forty two inches long. Twenty one inches wide and let's see, twenty three inches deep. Good!”

What's good?”, asked Boo. “My theory

And that is?”

That we might know what happened to Partheana”.

What do you mean?”

Let's go over what we know about Partheana. First we know she was a child bride. She was sixteen at the time of her wedding. Keep and open mind now and focus on her age, again sixteen. Next, we know that she and her sister played parlor games. Her favorite was probably hide and go seek, Why? Because she always won. No one could ever find her.

Sophronia wrote that in her diary. Why was that? I think that it was because she hid in the attic. Are you with me so far?”

Yes”, said Boo.

Good. Now, we do know that Partheana was petite, just a little under five feet tall. Hiram White's antique trunk is forty two inches long. Lets surmise that on many occasion while playing the game that Partheana always went to the attic, climbed into the trunk and hid resulting in no one finding her”.

Impossible. I told you that the trunk was and is locked. So she couldn't have climbed inside of it”, said Boo.

Wallace smiled. “We are about to find out my friend. Detective Mckenna just pulled up in front of your door with Jimmy Galini

Boo turned and looked, seeing two men standing in front of the entrance he went to unlock the door. When he did

Tom McKenna entered and another man followed. “Where's the Captain?”, asked Mckenna.

I'm back here”, Wallace shouted.

McKenna and the man with him followed Kaplan to the store room. Wallace seeing Jimmy Galini smiled and said. “Jimmy, how the hell are you?”

Fine Wally. What have you got for me?” Galini asked.

I've got a promise of a hundred dollar bill if you can open this trunk. However, keep in mind that this trunk you're looking at is a valuable, antique and part of the history of this town. What I'm saying Jimmy, is be pretty damn careful”.

I'm always careful. Let me see what you have here”, said Galini as he knelt down on one knee and studied the trunk lock. After a few minutes Galini stood looked at Wallace and smiled. “I hope you got the hundred on you. What you have here is a spring lock, probably made by a blacksmith. I've seen two like this one before. They're hand made. First the iron is hand forged and the spring is tempered. Notice the rust on the metal parts of the trunk. If the spring hasn't rusted away with age I should be able to pop it”.

The hundred is going to come from Reds Morton. If he comes up lame, you know I'm good for it”, said Wallace.

Fair enough. Let me get started.

Galini knelt down on one knee again. Then he removed a thin, metal pick hooked at the end. H inserted the tool into the key hole. Wallace, Mckenna and Kaplan stood and watch the man at work.

Ten minutes later Galini stood, faced Wallace and said, “You owe me a C note”.

Wallace looked at Kaplan.

Well, here we go. If what I think is in here it could be horrific. So, be prepared or look away”, he said.

Slowly, Wallace raised the trunk lid and when he had opened it all the way look down and said, “Oh, Jesus Christ!”

Kaplan turned away. Galini refused to look. Mckenna stared at the mummified remains in the trunk. “What now Cap?”

Well, I'm going to treat this like any homicide. Call headquarters. Tell them that I want photographs taken and to alert the medical examiner that I'll be sending in a dead body. After you do that, take Jimmy home.”

Turning to Galini he held out his hand and said, “Jim, thanks a lot”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Ten

Autopsy

Captain Wallace walked into the autopsy room of the Nautilus Beach Hospital, He noticed a woman attired in the normal white, physician's coat sitting on a stool and peering through a microscope. He judged her to be about twenty five to twenty eight years old. Even though she was seated he estimated her to be about five foot six or seven inches tall. She was slender, maybe a hundred and thirty pounds and she wore her hair in a page boy cut which like her eyes were brown. She raised her head when she heard him enter and asked “Are you Captain Wallace?”

Yes I am and you must be Doctor Bell”, Wallace responded.

Yes, I assume that you are here to ask questions and gather information about the human remains you sent in and are investigating”.

Absolutely, however, since this case is over a hundred years old, there is no rush on my part, but I must admit that I'm curious about the condition of the body”, said Wallace.

That's understandable, just what are you curious about?”, asked Doctor Bell.

The only mummy's I've seen in my lifetime were in Philadelphia museums. If the remains resting on that autopsy table are in fact those of Partheana White, I'd like to know how she became mummified”.

I've heard from the grapevine that the body of the person you refer to as Partheana was found in a trunk. Am I right?”, asked Bell.

Yes, and we know that the trunk had been stored in the attic”, said Wallace.

Pointing to the remains, Doctor Bell said, “What we have here is a case of

natural mummification. This occurs when the body is preserved in the environment in which they die. You mention that the trunk had been stored in an attic. The environments there must have been warm and dry, such as a desert or an attic. These conditions allow a body to dry out naturally. At the same time environments that are cold and dry also allow bodies to dry out naturally. Complete mummification takes about a year. When it does occur the body turns a dark brown color, as you see here. Other times the color of the skin might be an off white. The skin, hair, nails and bones are actually the only parts preserved when the internal organs reduce in size”.

Do you think that there are internal organs?”, asked Wallace.

When did she die?”

1862”

Surgery was practically unknown in medical science then. So, there should be signs of internal organs. We can run a scan and determine if they're there”.

Interesting”.

Well, if you're interested I'll let you know when we will set up the CT scan and you can see for yourself just what we find.

No thanks. I'll take your word for anything you find, Wallace replied.

Well, that's up to you. The invitation is open. I hope that what I have told you is helpful to your investigation”.

I'm certain it is. Now, let's change the subject. How do you like Nautilus Beach?”,asked Wallace.

Fine. I'm just about settled in. I found a nice house in Venice Isle's. At the same time I enjoy my work. The people here at the hospital are nice. I was surprised to find that as the head pathologist of the hospital I inherited the title and position of Medical Examiner for the city”.

Yeah, Doctor Edwards was head of this department for many years”, said Wallace.

I've heard nothing but good things about him. Why did he leave?”

Love, marriage to an old flame. He lives in Australia now. He was my best friend”.

I can tell that you miss him”.

Yes. Yes I do. Well doctor, there's one more thing I need to know for my report”.

What's that?”

Your first name”.

It's Janet. Janet Bell”.

Thank you. I'll let you get back to work now”, said Wallace as he turned to leave.

At shortly after five P.M. Wallace walked into his house. Mary called from the office. “I'm in here. How did it go today?”, she asked

Alright I guess. We found Partheana.”

 

You didn't. Tell me all about it and don't leave out anything”, said Mary”.

Oh no. you've got that newspaper reporter look on your face. If I told you everything you could scoop every newspaper in the Delaware Valley”.

Let me remind you of a couple of things bozo. As a free lance writer I make my living some times writing about things others have no knowledge about. Next, I'm the one you like to get cozy with time from time in bed. Finally, I'm your wife and I can make your life a living hell, as well as not allow those cozy times. If you get my drift”.

Wallace laughed. “Well, I guess you have pressured me to the point where I'm forced to confess. Let's get serious for a moment. This case is unofficially an old, some could say ancient case. Sure, we found Partheana's remains, but I still need to know how she died. What I'm trying to tell you dear is that when all of the pieces are in and fit I can make a determination. Then, as a guy who loves you I'll see to it that you are the first to get the story”.

Make sure you do. Now, tell me all about it”.

Nice try”.

Idiot!”

Two weeks went by. Captain Wallace fell back into his regular routine of arriving at his office exactly at eight in the morning. As usual he carried two, white paper bags one containing, Styrofoam cups of black coffee, creamers and packs of sugar. The other bag held a dozen assorted doughnuts. Everyone knew that the lemon doughnuts were his.

He sat at his desk munching his breakfast and taking sips of coffee from the cup. The members of his unit took their usual fare then looked for a place to sit. They had heard that Wallace had found the missing White daughter and were anxious to hear how he did it.

Hey Cap. When are you going to tell us how you solved this case?”, asked McKenna.

When I'm satisfied that I have all the answers, which by the way I don't”.

Captain we already know that you found a body in a steamer trunk. At the same time we know that the body was mummified. So why can't you tell us the rest?”, asked Carol Myers.

Because, I don't know the rest and when I do I'll tell you”, said Wallace as he reached for a ringing telephone on his desk.

Major Crime Squad, Captain Wallace”, he said.

Captain, this is Doctor Bell. I thought that you would want to know that we ran a CT scan on the human remains that you sent in. Now, I can give you the results over the telephone or you can come in and I'll show you exactly what we found”

Excellent. When would be a good time for you doctor?”, he asked.

Any time after ten this morning”.

Good, I'll see you then”.

Wallace turned to his squad members and said “O.K. Time for you leather ass detectives to get to work. Sergeant Stiles will be in charge in case anything goes down. I'll be at the hospital morgue if anyone needs me. By the way, they had better want to need me in a very bad way. Understand?”

Thirty minutes later Robert Wallace walked into the hospital morgue. Doctor Bell looked up from the paper work she was studying and upon seeing the Police Captain said,“Come in Captain”.

Wallace walked into the small office of the pathologist and took a seat in a chair next to her desk where she was sitting. “Good morning”, he said.

Good morning, I think I have what you want from the CT scan”, said the doctor.

As he reached for his notebook and pen doctor Bell interrupted him. “I made you a copy of everything we learned from the scan”.

Great, but I guess I'm so use to taking notes in my investigation that it has become a habit. At the same time usually I have to jot down things just to remind myself of what to do next”.

I see, now if you're ready I'll tell you what I've found so far”, said Bell.

I'm ready”.

The subject examined had a twisted spine and rib cage. That was probably the result of the position of the body in the trunk. Decomposition of the body began before mummification, The scan revealed that internal organs were present, the heart, intestines and kidneys were present, but atrophy naturally reduced their size”.

I see. Just to satisfy my own curiosity can you tell me just how a human body in this town could mummify? I associate mummy’s with Egypt and the desert “, said Wallace.

Decomposition can only occur when it has moisture and oxygen. On the other hand mummification occurs when there is constant dry heat or constant dry cold. You mentioned that you found the body in the attic. Evidently the attic had the constant temperatures needed to create mummification. “

Thank you doctor. If there isn't anything else, I'll leave you to your work. At this time I have no idea what will be done with the body. I'm sure someone will claim it and make the necessary arrangements”, said Wallace as he got up out of the chair.

Before you leave, I think you should look at some thing”, Said Doctor Bell.

Wallace followed the pathologist into the large examination room where the mummy of Partheana lay on an examination table. Doctor pulled back the white sheet covering the body, exposing one hand. She then turned to Wallace and said, “Look at her fingers”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Eleven

And The Band Played On

 

Captain Wallace sat between Chief Monahan and Sidney Kaplan in the television station KCCD. The news that the body of Partheana White had been discovered generated a great amount of local interest. Every resident of Nautilus Beach grew up with the mystery of the missing daughter of the towns first mayor. Now, tonight the station owner as well as the manager was hoping for a large viewing audience along with a large rating when the discovery would be discussed.

Wallace looked at the programs host, Reds Morton and noticed the sullen look on his face. Wallace had not only accepted his challenge but found what was possibly the missing girl, Nonetheless, Morton's facial expression changed when he got the signal that the show was on the air.

Morton began the program by saying, “Good evening ladies and gentlemen. For those of you who might have been out of state, out of the country or in outer space let me bring you up to date. A few months ago I more or less challenged the Nautilus Beach Police Department in general and Captain Robert Wallace in particular to solve the mystery of Partheana White who disappeared on her wedding day in 1862.

Now, the police and Captain Wallace claim to have solved the enigma that has stumped experts from all over the world. Yet, Captain Wallace claims that he not only found the remains of Partheana White, but can tell us how she died and how she disappeared.

With us tonight in the studio are Chief of Police Jerry Monahan, Captain Robert Wallace, Doctor Janet Bell, Chief of the Pathology Department at the Nautilus Beach Hospital as well as the Medical Examiner for the local police department and Sidney Kaplan, curator of the Nautilus Beach Museum and the President of The Nautilus Beach Historical Society.

Tonight we have decided to do away with our normal format, that being audience participation by calling in your questions. I am sure that you will want to give these gentlemen and doctor Bell plenty of time to present their facts and theory. Now, we will go to a commercial. We will be right back”.

Reds Morton turned to his invited guests and said, “I hope all of you have their facts straight, because in three more minutes we will be on the air”.

Wallace fought the temptation to tell Morton to stick his program in his ass and walk out. Instead he tightened the grip he had on the arms of his chair. Doctor Bell, looked at Wallace and smiled, recognizing the angry look on his face.

The words, “And we're back”, came from the director and Morton began his questions. “Captain Wallace. It has been said that you have found the remains of the missing, Partheana White. The first question I have for you is, how do you know that what you found is indeed, the missing girl?”

Wallace looking at the camera said, “Who else could it be? Do you know of anyone else, any other female that was reported missing in Nautilus Beach back in 1862. Perhaps you can give me information about some other young woman who when she went missing was attired in a wedding gown.”

Morton was taken back for just a moment as the Police Captain's answer made the T.V. host look stupid. Nonetheless, he quickly regain his composure and asked, “Is it true that what you found, let's call it the remains, is it true that the remains you found was a mummy?”

Yes”, Wallace answered.

And, just how did you come to that determination?”

Common sense and the result of the Medical Examiner's report”.

I assume that you are speaking about Doctor Bell”.

That's correct”, said Wallace.

Turning his attention to the doctor, Morton asked, “When you made your examination of the remains how did you come to the conclusion that the remains were mummified?”, Doctor Bell.

A mummy, is a deceased human or animal whose skin and organs have been preserved by intentional or accidental exposure to chemicals, extreme cold, very low humidity, heat or lack of air or oxygen. In any of these conditions the body does not decay. This then leaves soft tissue which is one of the recognizable factors of mummification,” Doctor Bell answered. “I see. And it is your professional opinion that the remains you examined was in fact mummified”, said Morton.

That's correct”.

Could you determine the cause of death?”

Yes, suffocation”.

Determined how, doctor?”

The body was examined by using a CT scan, which revealed unusually compressed skin folds and wrinkles on the right and left neck area. Moreover, the scan revealed evidence that the thorax was significantly inflated with air along with a widening of spaces between the ribs and shifting of the scapulae. This is sufficient evidence that either strangulation of suffocation was the cause of death”.

You mention strangulation. Are you saying that the girls was murdered and her body placed in the trunk?”, asked Morton.

No, I'm telling you why she died, not how she died. I suggest that if you want that information you ask Captain Wallace”, said Bell.

Very well, Captain can you tell us how Partheana White died?”, asked Morton.

Yes, accidentally”.

You're saying her death was an accident?”

That's what I'm saying”.

Care to elaborate?

Certainly. Let me take you back to the night of the wedding. The reception was held in the ball room of the White mansion. Benjamin White had hired an orchestra for the entertainment of the guest. Dancing would take place after the dinner, speeches, cutting the cake and toast's. What happens next? Let's keep in mind that the bride is sixteen years old. Not a child, but not an adult and still holding on to her childhood ways. One thing in her childhood that she enjoyed was playing the game, Hide and go Seek. Either her or someone suggested that she played the game one more time before leaving on her honeymoon She agrees.

We read in Sally White's diary that the last time she saw her daughter was when she got up from the table and went outside through the kitchen. Then, she disappears for over a hundred years.

Remember, everyone is in the ballroom. Partheana goes out through the kitchen and instead of going to the outhouse as everyone thought she did, she comes back around to the front of the house and enters through the unlocked front door. She then climbs the stairs to the top floor and enters the attic just like she had been doing for years.

Her favorite hiding spot is the old, wooden chest of Hiram White. She has been hiding in it by climbing in, laying in the fetal position while holding the trunk lid open with one hand in order to see if anyone was coming near her.

This time however, she makes a mistake. Someway she moves the hand holding the trunk lid and it drops. When it drops the handmade, iron spring lock engages and Partheana is trapped. She tries to get out, but the lid is fast. She calls out. No one hears her over the orchestra playing downstairs. She screams, again no one hears her. Slowly, the air in the trunk is being used by her. In absolute panic she claws at the inside of the trunk trying desperately to get out. We know that by the fact that the tips of her fingers were missing, worn away. Then, do to a lack of oxygen she passes out and eventually dies of suffocation.

In the days, months and years that followed many people walked by Hiram White's trunk. They probably moved it, sat on it, all the time ignoring it because there was no key. Fortunately Sidney Kaplan and his historical Society saved the belongings of the White Family.

And, of course who can forget the challenge Reds Morton presented to the Nautilus Beach Police Department. Thanks Red. And by the way here is a list of the expenses occurred for the investigation. As I remember it's slightly over five thousand dollars. And to you people watching. Keep in mind that it was Sidney Kaplan's historical society that played a large part in this case. So, support the museum, make donations.”

Wallace smiled at the embarrassed appearance on Morton's face.

******************

Mary Wallace stood at the kitchen sink washing dishes. Robert Wallace sat in his favorite chair watching television. Mary stopped rinsing a plate when she heard her husband say.”Son of a bitch”.

Lousy Bastard”.

She quickly dried her hands and went to where Robert sat complaining.

What are you doing?”, she asked.

These lousy damn weather men. They don't know their ass from their elbow. See that dumb son of a bitch right there”, he said pointing to the television.

Yes, what about him.?

He's been giving me the weather for the past five minutes in Alaska. What the hell do I care about the weather in Alaska? I'm in New Jersey. Hell, I don't even know anyone in Alaska”.

Let's see now. Lawyers and judges are in cahoots. Politicians are corrupt. Newspaper and all other reporters are assholes or whores. Is their anyone you like?”, asked Mary.

I like you”, Wallace answered.

I'm so lucky. Idiot!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Table Of Contents

 

Chapter One The Challenge

Chapter Two Partheana

Chapter Three Philadelphia

Chapter Four Partners

Chapter Five The Mansion

Chapter Six Writings

Chapter Seven Samplers

Chapter Eight Parlor Games

Chapter Nine Ally, Ally, Oxen Free

Chapter Ten Autopsy

Chapter Eleven After The Ball Was Over

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Imprint

Publication Date: 03-31-2014

All Rights Reserved

Next Page
Page 1 /