Cover

Politics

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gifts From The Kasbah

by

Robert F. Clifton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The reader is advised that this is a work

Of fiction. Any similarity of any persons or the names, places or events are purely coincidental.

 

R.F. Clifton

 

 

 

 

 

 

TITLE Gifts From The Kasbah

 

Copyright © 2013 by Robert F. Clifton

 

 

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means without written permission from the author

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1.

Chapter One

 

Robert Wallace lay reclined in his favorite chair. His eyes were closed as he listened, enjoying the sounds of the flamenco guitars emitting from the stereo. It was almost nine P.M. On a Friday evening and he was now off duty for the weekend, away from police headquarters, away from his office where he was assigned as the commanding officer of the Major Crime Squad, off duty unless someone was murdered, raped, or robbed of over ten thousand dollars.

Tomorrow was Saturday and Saturday meant driving to and picking up Doc Edwards early in the morning and heading for the empty beaches of Schooner City. There, they would put on their waders, select their bait and cast their lines into the dark, early morning waves of the Atlantic Ocean as they tried their luck at catching the elusive striped bass.

Fishing was one of Wallace favorite things to do. He enjoyed all types of fishing, fresh water, salt water, from a boat, from the bank of a stream or up to his hips in the ocean. With surf fishing he relished watching the sun as it came up over the black horizon. When it did white capped waves would appear. Gulls would materialize and begin their constant search for food. And, as they did Sand Pipers darted in and out of spreading water and foam staying just in front, but not in the water as it spilled out on the sand.

For him fishing was medicinal. It took his mind off of the retained memories in his psyche, memories of victims, most killed, others in pain. Most of all remembering reinforced his theory that man, despite being referred to as civilized, was in reality still an animal, an animal that by nature

for the most part, at times became a predator, a stalker, hunter and killer. He had seen their work. Gathering facts and evidence he had met them head on pitting his intelligence against that of the criminals. Most of the time he succeeded in his

 

2.

investigations. Arrests were made. Convictions were rendered and sentences imposed. Yet, even with every success there still remained a victim and it was the victims and their pain that he constantly remembere and those memories continued to stay with him making him hard and calloused. As a result of this conditioning, although not anti-social he became somewhat paranoid, not trusting too many. He had many acquaintances, but few friends. Of those few friends he considered Doctor Manfred Edwards to be his best friend.

Wallace had his relaxation abruptly interrupted by the ringing telephone. He sat up quickly, got out of the chair, walked to his desk and picked up the receiver. “Hello”, he said.

Robert?..Doc here...I have to cancel the fishing trip”.

Why?”

It seems the daughter of a well connected citizen expired at the hospital. The family wants an autopsy and they want it quick”.

Why?”

What don't you understand about the words, well connected”?

Aren't you the head pathologist?”, asked Wallace.

Yes, and I also have a boss, a boss that wants an autopsy done as soon as possible”.

Who is the deceased?”

Elizabeth Kerr”.

Is she related to the Kerr fudge people on the boardwalk?”

Yep”.

O.K. Fortunately the stripers will be around next Saturday. We'll hit the beach then, according to the tide”, Wallace responded.

Sounds good. I'll call you later Robert”.

O.K. Doc. Goodby”.

After hanging up the receiver Wallace went to the stereo, removed the record, placed it in the album cover sleeve turn off the system then turned and walked to his small, private library. There he selected “Alexander The Great”. He then returned to his favorite chair and began to read.

3. The next day, Saturday he gathered up his dirty laundry, opened the front door to his condominium and let in Esmeralda Green, his cleaning lady. Then, he took the elevator down to the laundry room. There as his clothes tumbled in the washer and dryer he sat and read the morning paper reading the sports section first. There was nothing really new. The Phillies were out of the running for the National League Pendant months ago and the Philadelphia Eagles continued their loosing ways.

By the time he had finished with the entire paper his laundry was finished so he removed his things from the dryer and placed them in the basket, walked to elevator and returned to his condo. He spent the rest of the morning dodging Esmeralda's vacuum cleaner, broom and dusting cloth.

At four o'clock he paid Esmeralda then went to the kitchen. Something was bothering him. “Why is there a rush for an autopsy on the Kerr girl?”, he asked himself. “Sure, she was from a prominent family, but that didn't necessarily require immediate attention to her death...Or did it?. The family wants to know why and how she died. So far, there's no sign of foul play. If there was I would have been contacted and a homicide investigation started. The same would be true if there had been an accident, however as far as I know there was no accident. That only leaves an illness, but what kind of illness?”

Wallace made himself a sandwich, poured a glass of milk and carried both to his study. Placing them on the desk he picked up the telephone and called Doc Edwards.

Hello?”, asked Edwards when he answered the ringing telephone.

Doc?..Wally. How did you make out with the Kerr girl?”

Fine...Right now it appears to be a case of heart failure. It's a shame too. She was only nineteen years old'

You said, right now it looks like the heart. Do you have something else in mind?”

Not really, there's still the toxicology study to be done. I want to take a closer look at her liver and at the same time try to figure out what caused her to have a rash ”.

A rash?”,asked Wallace.

4. “Yes, however it could be dermatitis. I'll look at her stomach contents later, that should tell me something. Why are you asking so many questions? Did you know the girl?”

No. but it's strange that the family is pushing for information about her death so soon.”

I agree, but to me it's no big deal. Take my advise and relax. Her death does not appear to be a homicide. If it turns out to be I'll be the first to let you know”.

Alright, I'll talk to you later. Good by”

Good by Robert

 

Monday seemed to come too soon, but Wallace made his way to his office as he did every Monday carrying a white paper bag containing two cups of black coffee, creamers, plastic stirrers, envelopes of sugar and two lemon filled donuts, one for himself and one for Bill O'Neil. He unbuttoned the blue blazer he wore, removed it and placed it on the clothes tree that stood in the corner. Taking a seat at his desk he open the paper bag removed a Styrofoam cup full of hot coffee, then the lid covering it, added creamer and sugar, stirred it and finally took a sip. He left the donuts in the bag waiting for O'Neil to arrive.

How he wanted a cigarette. He was trying to quit smoking, but it was difficult. Nonetheless, he was determined to kick the habit. His thoughts and desire for a cigarette were dismissed as Bill O'Neil entered the office.

Good morning, my good man”, said Wallace.

Good morning Captain”. O'Neil responded.

Why so damn formal this morning Bill? Do you have something on your mind?”, Wallace asked.

I'll come right to the point. Captain Perone is pulling the pin. The Chief asked me if I wanted to command the vice Squad”.

What did you tell him?”, asked Wallace.

I asked for time to think it over. Captain Perone has another month to go, besides I wanted to talk to you first”.

For what?”

I want your opinion”.

You want my opinion? Hell, that's easy. When you take

5.

command you also take on a lot of enemies. Every narcotic dealer and user, bookmakers, pimps, and hookers instantly become your enemy, not to mention bartenders ans taxi drivers.

Crooked politicians on the take will come after you to get you removed or fired. The social elite will scream to the chief and commissioner that you framed their debutant daughters and Ivy League sons. If you fail, you were on the take. Succeed and those you arrested refused to pay a bribe and that's the way the public you're trying to protect will think of you. However, although I know what you are in for I couldn't think of a better, qualified, guy to command the vice unit. Just watch your ass. They'll be trying to set you up”.

Thanks Wally, that means a lot to me”.

Forget it. Right now you're still assigned to me. Drink you coffee, eat your donut , then get your ass back to work”.

After O'Neil left Wallace read and re-read reports on two cold cases. At ten fifteen A.M. The telephone on his desk rang.

Picking up the receiver he said, “Major Crime Squad, Captain Wallace.”

Wally? Chief Monahan.Come to my office”.

Yes sir, on the way”.

Wallace placed the cases he was working on in the file cabinet. He put on his blazer, left the office and took the elevator down to the first floor. He entered the outer office and was told by a secretary to go right in.

When he moved through the office door he was surprised to see Meredith Maxwell, the police commissioner seated in front of Chief Monahan's desk. “Come in Captain”, said Maxwell.

Yes, come in and have a seat Bob” said the Chief

Wallace was instantly on guard finding it unusual that both men were present, but he took a seat and looked at both men waiting for them to begin the conversation.

I'll get right to the point Captain, but first what do you know about a young lady named Elizabeth Kerr?”, said Maxwell

If she is the kid that's in a refrigerated drawer in the morgue I know that she's dead”, Wallace answered.

6. “Do you know what the cause of death was?”, asked the Chief.

My information is that she died from heart failure”, said Wallace

That might be true, but what caused the heart failure?”, asked Maxwell.

I'm sure that when all the medical examiners reports are in you'll know commissioner”, Wallace responded.

I want to know as soon as possible. I want you to investigate her death and report directly to me or Chief Monahan”

Is her death a homicide?”, asked Wallace.

I don't know Captain. Is it?”. Maxwell replied as he got up out of the chair to leave.

From the information I have received so far from Doctor Edwards who conducted an autopsy on the girl there is no indication of a homicide”, Wallace explained.

Captain, I want an investigation done and done by you. That's an order”.

Wallace fought the anger growing inside of him and remained silent. He watched as the commissioner left the room, then turned and faced the Chief. “Just what the hell is this all about?”, he asked.

Donald Kerr with all of his money is bored. He recently decided to enter politics and he intends to run against Maxwell. If Maxwell can dig up any dirt on Don Kerr or his family...Well you get the picture”, said Monahan.

Yeah, I get the picture and it's rotten”, said Wallace as he turned and left.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Two

 

Robert Wallace pushed the doorbell button at the front entrance of the Kerr residence. He heard the melodic sound of the chimes somewhere within the threshold and he waited patiently for someone to open the door and meet him. Eventually he was met by a butler who asked for him to identify himself and state his reason and purpose of his visit.

Wallace showed his badge and credentials, handed the butler his card and said, “I'm Captain Wallace of the Nautilus Beach Police Department. I'd like to speak to either Mr. or Mrs. Kerr.”

The butler took his card and said, “Please follow me sir. I will show you to the library. Someone will be with you soon.” When the butler left the room Wallace stood looking at and examining the rows of books on the shelves. He found Henry Miller, Joseph Conrad, George Bernard Shaw., and his favorite, Hemingway.

By the way you are studying those shelves of books I would say that you must be an avid reader”, said a female voice behind him. Wallace turned to see a young woman in her mid to late twenties. She was neatly dressed in a gray suit. Her black hair was pulled back into a bun and she wore glasses. He did not see any signs of makeup. She didn't need any as her natural beauty was evident”.

He smiled and answered. “I'm afraid that you have exposed a weakness of mine. I do enjoy excellent literature. This is quite a collection”, he said.

Most of them are first additions with a few actually autographed by the authors. Collecting is one of Mr Kerr's hobbies. At the moment he is in Florida on business. He's flying back this evening. I am Jane

 

8.

Chambers Mrs Kerr's private secretary. She sends her regrets that she can not meet with you Captain as she is in deep mourning for her daughter. However, she does suggest that I answer any questions that you might have. Do you find this agreeable?”

 

For the moment. Is it Miss or Mrs. Chambers?”, he asked.

It's Miss. Why don't we have a seat. Make yourself comfortable Captain. May I offer you a refreshment, coffee perhaps?”

No thank you. Let me explain why I'm here. At this point we are merely examining the facts of Miss Kerr's death. The fact that it has been found that she died of heart failure at the age of nineteen presents first a question of her general health.”

She was in good health. There were no problems related to her heart.', said Miss Chambers.

Anything else?”, asked Wallace.

Not that I can think of at the moment”.

How about skin problems?”, asked Wallace.

Maybe years ago when she was going through puberty, but nothing recent”.

It is my understanding that the family wants an investigation conducted in this matter. Could you tell me why?”

Mr Kerr is under the opinion that when his daughter was admitted to the emergency room that the attending physicians were incompetent and caused her untimely death.”

I see...Do you happen to know where her pocketbook is? I checked with the hospital and they said that it was turned over to the family”, said Wallace.

Actually, it was turned over to me. If you will wait, I'll go and get it”, said Jane.

That would be very helpful...Thank you”

When Jane chambers left the room Wallace got up out of the chair and once again examined the Kerr collection of books. He found what he was

9.

looking for, the complete collection of Henry David Thoreau. In all, there were twenty volumes containing articles, essays, journals and poetry. As he looked at the row of books he fought the urge to reach up and select one, any one and then to take it to a chair where he could sit and read. However, his thoughts were interrupted with the return of Miss Chambers.

I see you're still interested in Mr. Kerr's collection', she said.

Guilty as charged”, Wallace replied as he returned to take a seat.

Here is Elizabeth's pocketbook. I'm afraid it won't be of too much help. Inside it you'll find her credit cards, eighty dollars in cash, some loose change, a comb, her wallet, driver license, an address book and two tampons”, Jane said as she handed the purse to Wallace.

Thank you' Wallace replied. He then looked through the belongings finding exactly what Jane Chambers said he would find. Taking the wallet in his hands he removed the cash and then the credit cards. When he removed the credit cards a small, white business card came into view. Wallace picked it up, turned it over and read: “Frederick Parven, M.D. Obstetrics and Gynecology” Looking at Miss Chambers he asked,“Was Elizabeth pregnant?”

Heavens no”, she responded.

I don't like getting personal, but did she have any female problems?”

None that I know of”.

Wallace replaced the business card and credit cards put the wallet back in the pocketbook and handed the purse to Jane, “I see that she has the top three credit cards, Was she a big spender or thrifty?” asked Wallace/

I would say that she was thrifty, since all of her bills came to me for approval and payment”, Jane replied.

Thank you Miss Chambers. Can you tell me the name of her physician”.

The family uses Doctor Samuel Harvey”.

And how has her over all health been?”

I would say that she was fine”.

I see. And, what about her friends. Did she date much, travel with a certain group. Did she drink or smoke?”, asked Wallace.

10.

She dated like any normal girl her age. I'm sure that when with friends she might have had a drink or two. I never knew her to smoke. You ask about a certain group, her group of friends were all her age and getting ready to go to college. Elizabeth would have been going to Princeton next semester”.

This is October why didn't she enroll this semester?”

She had a problem with math. As a result she had to take a course at the Community College in order to get the necessary credit'

I see, well Miss Chambers thank you very much for your help in this matter. If there is anything else that I might need I hope I can call upon you again”.

And, you are quite welcome Captain. Once again Mrs. Kerr sends her regrets that she could not meet with you at this time and hopes to be available in the future should you need to talk with her”.

Please give her my condolences”, said Wallace.

I will. Allow me to show you out”.

 

Wallace drove back to headquarters. When he walked into his office he used the intercom to summon O'Neil. While he waited he took a seat at his desk and read the notes he had taken while interviewing Jane Chambers. Then he wrote, “Check Kerr's medical record with Dr. Parven and Dr. Harvey”

When O'Neil entered the office Wallace motion for him to take a seat. He then sat and watched the Captain writing what he assumed to be notes of some kind. Finished. Wallace looked up and said, “Bill, I want you to go to Doctor Samuel Harvey's office. I want to know the general health of Elizabeth Kerr. In particular two things, the condition of her heart and any skin problems. While you're doing that I'll be interviewing Doctor Parven”.

Was the kid murdered?”, asked O'Neil.

I doubt it, but right now there's too many people wanting answers and I've got to have them, so we'll start with her doctors”.

No problem. I'll talk to him. I'm on my way”, said O'Neil.

Later that afternoon Wallace smiled as the women sitting

11.

 

in the Gynecologist office looked at him in surprise. He took a seat, leaned forward picked up a magazine and began to read. Shortly after doing that a nurse/receptionist came out of one of the examining rooms and saw him. “Sir?...Can I help you?”, she asked.

Wallace got up and walked to the counter and showing his badge and credentials in a low voice said, “I'm Captain Wallace. I'd like to talk to Doctor Parven when he is free”.

As you can see, the doctor is very busy. It may be some time before he can see you”, the nurse replied.

I'll wait”, Wallace answered.

May I ask what you want to see him for?”,asked the nurse.

Oh, you can ask, but I'm not going to tell you. Let's just say it's police business”. Wallace responded.

At four forty five P.M. The last patient left the doctors office and the nurse appeared and said, “Captain the doctor will be right with you”.

Thank you Miss”, said Wallace. A few minutes later Doctor Parven entered the waiting room. “You want to see me officer?”, asked Parven.

Yes sir. I need some information about one of your patients, a Miss Elizabeth Kerr. What were you treating her for?”

Captain, as you know, that's privileged information between a doctor and a patient”.

Yes of course. However, I would think that you could tell me in five minutes what I want to know rather than give the same information to a prosecutor at an inquest or grand jury. Now, would you really like to spend one or two days away from your practice?”

No, of course not.

Then, what I want to know first is why were you treating Miss Kerr?”

A simple yeast infection”.

I see. Was she cured?”

Yes”.

12.

 

As her physician, did she have any skin conditions, such as a rash?”

Not that I recall”.

Thank you doctor. See how easy that was...Have a great day”, said Wallace as he walked out of the office.

Later that evening Wallace sat at his kitchen table eating a frozen dinner that he had heated in the microwave oven. As he ate he thought again of the Kerr book collection and how he would like to read some of the volumes on those shelves. His thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of the telephone on the kitchen wall. He got up from the table walked to the telephone and answered the ring. “Hello'

What are you doing?”

I'm trying to eat my supper”.

Did Mrs. Swanson cook again?”

Yeah. Now what do you want Doc?”

I just want to tell you that I'm certain that I found that the Kerr girl was using heroin”.

Was it enough to kill her?”

No, she didn't die from an over dose, but in examining her liver tissue there is evidence that she has been using it for some time. The toxicology report will tell us exactly how much was in her system at the time of death.

How long will that take?”

Six to eight weeks, why?”

Maxwell's on my ass. He wants information about the Kerr girl that he can use against her father. It's a political thing”.

What do you want to do?”, asked Doctor Edwards.

I want to stall as long as possible”, Wallace answered.

No problem. Her tissue and fluids have been sent to the State Toxicology Laboratory in Trenton. As I said, it usually takes six to eight weeks before I get the results. If necessary I'll sit on them as long as you want”.

Good. Let me ask you something. Did you find any needle marks on her body?”,asked Wallace

13. “No and she didn't snort, I checked her nostrils. She either ingested it, which is unlikely or she used it as a suppository in her rectum or vagina”

What do you think Doc?”

If I were you I'd look for an oral syringe, and a lubricant”, Edwards answered.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

14. Chapter Three

 

Wallace stood shaking hands with Captain Vincent Perone. He admired Perone and considered him a good cop, one that had your back at all times. He was dedicated, honest, a good husband and father and now ready to retire.

So, you're pulling the pin”, said Wallace.

Yep, I've had enough. I'll leave it up to you or someone else”.

Well, before you go, what's the conditions on the street”, asked Wallace.

Hey, you commanded this squad. You know it never changes, only the faces change. The hookers are still out there and will always be out there as long as the court slaps them on the wrist and fines them forty dollars every time they're arrested. Bookmaking continues, only now it's not as apparent and the users are still looking for dime bags of grass to smoke”, Perone explained.

 

What about heroin?”, asked Wallace.

It's there, and it's good stuff. The word is the rich kids are using it. At the same time there's been an introduction of hash, good hash not just some home grown stuff put together be amateurs, but high quality”.

Then who ever the dealer is is getting a quality price”, said Wallace.

You bet”, Perone replied.

Any ideas on who's pushing it?”,asked Wallace.

Not at the moment and since I'm leaving I'll let the next guy that takes command worry about it”.

That might be O'Neil”, said Wallace.

Can you talk him out of it?”

I tried Vince. I gave him all of the warnings. He wants to command a unit. I guess he's tired of being my number two man and I don't blame him”.

Oh well, at least you tried. What are you working on?”, asked Perone.

A sudden death”.

Overdose?”

`15. “No...But, she was a user”.

Heroin?”

Yep”.

How old?”

Nineteen”

Damn”

Yeah, well good luck and enjoy your retirement”.

Thanks Wally”

Wallace went to his office and took a seat at his desk. He noticed O'Neil's report, picked it up and read it. There was nothing new from Doctor Harvey. Elizabeth Kerr had no heart condition or skin problems. He reached for the telephone, dialed the number and waited. A man's voice answered. “The Kerr residence”. Wallace assumed it was the butler. “This is Captain Wallace. I would like to speak to Miss Chambers please”.

One moment please”, replied the man.

Waiting patiently Wallace touched his shirt pocket, a habit he had developed over the years as a smoker. He wanted a cigarette, but fought the urge. The urge went away when Jane Chambers came on the line.

Captain, this is Jane Chambers”.

Miss Chambers I would like to take a look at Elizabeth's bedroom if I may.”

Are you looking for something in particular? If so perhaps I could save you sometime and locate what ever you're looking for”, she suggested.

I appreciate that, however, I prefer to examine her surroundings myself, sort of an old police habit I developed over the years, nonetheless I would prefer it if you would be there with me at the time”, he suggested.

I will have to ask Mrs. Kerr, but I see no reason for her to object. Incidentally, Mr. Kerr is home. I'm sure he will have some things to ask you. May I call you later today?”, she asked.

I'm afraid I won't be here at headquarters as I'll be leaving here shortly. May I call you this evening?”he replied.

16. “Yes, but I don't live here at the residence. I have my own place. Call me at 927 0808”.

Any particular time?”

Seven would be fine if you don't mind”.

Then seven it is...thank you”.

You are welcome. Good by”.

At home Wallace ate an early supper, cleaned up the kitchen, gathered up a week's worth of old newspapers and took them and the garbage down to the trash bin in the condo's basement. Back inside his apartment he killed time by reading, but checked the time about what seemed to be every fifteen minutes . At last it was seven o'clock and he sat at his desk and dialed the number.

After five rings Jane Chambers answered, “Captain Wallace?”

Yes”

My you are punctual. It's seven o'clock exactly”.

An old police habit. It comes from being assigned a post at a certain time”.

I see. Now, I spoke to the Kerr's and they have no problem with you examining Elizabeth's bedroom. Nonetheless, Mr. Kerr wants to speak with you first and wants to be there when you make your?...Is it a search, or an examination?”

At this point it's an examination”.

Fine, may I suggest that you arrive at either ten or eleven o'clock tomorrow morning”.

Since I never know what awaits me at headquarters every morning, I'll be there at eleven. If there are any changes I'll call”.

Very well, Captain we'll see you then, good by”

Good by Miss Chambers”.

*************************************************

 

A drizzling rain was falling as Wallace drove the unmarked police car into the driveway of the Kerr estate. He got out of the vehicle, locked the door and walked quickly to the front entrance of the house. After ringing the

17.

doorbell he stood and waited for someone to open the door. He didn't have to wait long. The door opened and the butler greeted him. “Good morning sir. Mr. and Mrs. Kerr are in the library... please follow me”. Wallace walked behind the butler. The servant opened the library door and stated, “Captain Wallace sir”.

Good morning Captain. I am Donald Kerr, Elizabeth's father. May I introduce you to my wife Doris. And, I believe that you have already met Miss Chambers”, said the man as he held out his hand. Wallace took it and both men shook hands.

It is my pleasure to meet you both, however, I wish it could be under different circumstances. I offer you my deepest condolences”, said Wallace.

Thank you Captain. Now, allow me to come right to the point. Was my daughter's death due to incompetence ?”

At this time there is nothing to indicate that it was sir. Nonetheless, my concern at the moment is that her death, a result of heart failure at the age of nineteen puzzles me”.

We are under the same opinion. It has been brought to my attention by Jane here, that you wish to search Elizabeth's bedroom. May I ask why?”

It is not necessarily a search Mr. Kerr. I prefer the word examine. Unfortunately, the pathologist found damage had been done to your daughters liver”.

What caused that?”, asked Mrs. Kerr .

Prolonged drug use Mrs. Kerr. Right now it appears that Miss Kerr was using drugs consistently over a period of time”.

I find that impossible to believe officer. We have never once seen, heard of or suspected Betty of being a drug user”, said Mrs. Kerr.

I understand how you feel Mrs. Kerr, but drug users are very adept at concealing not only their use of drugs, but also their manner of using them. They become expert in hiding their use particularly around family members”.

And, so you want to look at Betty's bedroom”. Said

 

18.

Donald Kerr.

Yes sir”.

Then. Let's do it. If you don't mind I'd like to be there as you do”, Mr. Kerr replied.

I prefer that sir. However, I think it would be a good idea for the ladies to remain here”, suggested Wallace.

Why?...Why can't I be there?”, asked Doris Kerr.

I can't stop you Mrs. Kerr, but if I find what I'm looking for it might upset you more than you are right now”, said Wallace.

Doris, stay here with Jane. I'll tell you everything you need to know. Captain follow me”, said Mr. Kerr.

Together the two men walked up the stairway that led to the second floor. When they got there, Wallace waited for Donald Kerr to lead the way, then he followed him. Mr. Kerr stopped and opened a door. “This is my daughters room”, he said.

Wallace stepped into a mid-size bedroom, decorated in pink and white. On a white rug rested a queen size bed with a pink bedspread with white polka dots. The curtains at the window matched the bedspread.

Where would you like to start Captain?”, asked Mr. Kerr.

First, who has access to her bureau and chest of drawers?”, asked Wallace.

 

No one. She either carries her laundry up to her room herself or it is left outside the door to her room”,said Kerr.

Good, that makes it a little easier. It means she wouldn't have to go to great lengths to hide it”. Said Wallace.

And, just what is...It?”, asked Kerr.

The device she used to administer the heroin”, Wallace answered.

Do you mean needles?”

No sir”, said Wallace as he slid open a drawer. Finding it full of neatly folder sweaters he ran his fingers under the pile searching, feeling for a

 

19.

hard object among the soft wool and cashmere. He found nothing. Looking at Donald Kerr Wallace said, “Some young women like to keep a diary, but I don't see one”.

I never knew Betty yo keep a diary, but then again I never knew her to use drugs”, Kerr replied sadly.

 

 

 

 

Wallace placed his hand on the man's shoulder. “Don't go blaming yourself Mr. Kerr Remember back when you were nineteen. In your mind you were indestructible. Nothing could harm you and you were going to live forever. Your daughter probably had the same philosophy”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

20. Chapter Four

 

Towards the end of October Robert Wallace and Manfred Edwards caught their striped bass with each man taking two out of the surf. They each ate one and froze the rest.

On October 28, 1973 the Philadelphia Eagles beat the Dallas Cowboys 30 to 16 making it one of the highlights of the season as the Eagles finished 5-8-1 a fact that did not sit well with Wallace.

November came and went and Wallace and Edwards ate thanksgiving dinner at the country club where the doctor was a member. Christmas decorations went up throughout the city. Street light lamp posts were adorned with red bows, large artificial candy canes and Santa Clause and his reindeer.

It was on December 15, that Wallace received a telephone call from Doctor Edwards

 

 

Are you sure?” asked Wallace.

Certainly I'm sure. I have the lab report right in front of me”, said Edwards.

And what did she die from?” Wallace asked.

Poison”, Edwards answered.

What kind of poison?”

We don't know yet?”

So she died from poison and not heart failure”, said Wallace.

She died from poison that caused the heart failure”.

Now you have another cause of death”, offered Wallace.

Yep, and you have another murder.

 

How much heroin was in her system?”,asked Wallace.

Just a trace”.

But she was a user?

Yes”. Looks like we can't delay the lab reports now”, Edwards answered.

Yeah, I'll take Care of it”, Wallace replied.

 

21.

 

 

At four thirty P.M. December 21, 1973, Captain Robert Wallace once again rang the doorbell of the Kerr residence. As he waited he thought of just how Mr. and Mrs. Kerr would react to the news that their daughter was not just a victim of sudden death, but was murdered.

As usual he was escorted to the library and asked to wait. He stood in the middle of the room Facing the double doors waiting for them to open. When they did the parents of Elizabeth Kerr entered and Wallace saw the questionable appearance on their faces.

Good evening Captain. Is there something wrong?”, asked Doris Kerr.

I'm afraid I have some information that concerns both of you. The toxicology reports related to your daughters death have arrived.”

You could have told us that on the telephone. There's something else isn't there?”, asked Donald Kerr.

Yes sir. It now appears that your daughter was murdered', said Wallace.

Murdered?...How?”, asked Mrs. Kerr.

She was poisoned”, Wallace answered .

Have you any idea of who could have done such a thing?”asked Mr. Kerr.

Not at the moment. Remember up to two hours ago I was investigating a sudden death, not a murder. However, I assure you that one of the reasons I am here other than wanting to be the one to inform you of how your daughter died is the fact that the murder investigation begins now. I need to know who her friends were, and at the same time her enemies. Her likes and dislikes, hobbies, interests, where she went ,what she did, in short, I need to know everything that you know about your daughter”.

That may take some time Captain”, said Donald Kerr.

I think we should have Jane here. I'm sure that she would

22.

have some information”, said Doris Kerr.

Donald Kerr called for the butler and when he entered the room said to the servant, “Williams will you asked Miss Chambers to join us”.

Yes sir”, the Butler answered.

A few minutes later Jane Chambers entered the library. “Jane the Captain would like some information on Betty's private life. Perhaps you could provide him with such things as names and places, people she associated with and the places she went”, said Doris Kerr.

Of course. Her best friend and confident was Emma Prescott. They had been friends from the time they met in Junior high School until the day Betty died. They intended to go to Princeton together. They often double dated, going such places as the movies, dinner or football games. Emma usually dated Phillip Spencer while Betty dated Martin Thomas Neither girl was involved romantically,”said Jane.

Any one else?”, asked Wallace.

It seems to me that there was a new girl that they met and use to hang out with. A Gloria, something. Gloria? Gloria? I'm sorry at the moment I can't recall the last name”, she said.

Wallace wrote the name in his notebook. “Maybe you will recall the name later. Right now I need to know if Elizabeth drove her own automobile”.

Yes, she did”, said Doris Kerr.

What make is it?”,asked Wallace

It's a Mercedes-Benz 450L”, Donald Kerr responded.

And where is it?”, asked Wallace

In the garage with the other cars”, said Mr. Kerr.

Then, I assume that she didn't drive on the night of her death”, said the Captain.

That's right. As a matter of fact we don't know how she got to the hospital. Some one had to take her there”, said Donald Kerr.

Interesting. I'll check on that”, Wallace answered. “In the meantime I want all of you to be aware of the fact that the police department is obligated to inform the public through the news media of all crimes, especially

23.

homicides. When we do you will be set upon by news reporters from papers, T.V. and radio. My advice is if you feel that it is necessary for you to communicate with the media that you tell them only what you have told me. You see, information leaked at this stage of the investigation alerts those responsible and creates false leads from people. Some citizens after reading or hearing things about the case while trying to help actually hinder our attempts to find evidence”, he continued.

I'll see to it that no one meets with or gives any information to the press”, said Donald Kerr.

In your case sir, that is a good idea. It is my understanding that you are or are thinking about entering politics. At this stage of your political career the press as well as any political opponents would love to delve into your private life and affairs. Now I'm going to call for the crime scene technicians to come here and go over Elizabeth's automobile and the garage. Until I release both back to you the car and garage are off limits to everyone. Do you understand? Good. May I use your telephone?”, asked Wallace.

Forty minutes later Captain Robert Wallace stood in front of the Kerr's garage and watched three crime scene investigators put on Tyvek suit coveralls which protected them from contaminating the site and at the same time being contaminated. Attired in white from head to foot the technicians went to work.

Wallace heard the sound of a vacuum cleaner with its sterile filters as the technician swept the interior of the automobile gathering dust, dirt, and particles of matter that would be analyzed later in the lab. He took a long look at the Mercedes two door sports car. It was silver colored with a black interior. The perfect graduation gift for any rich girl. Now, it was just a piece of evidence in the rich girls murder.

As the vacuuming continued another technician dusted the exterior of the Mercedes for latent prints. At the same time samples of soil was removed from the under carriage and placed in evidence bags and tagged.

Two hours later the technicians were almost finished. Sergeant June Campo reported to Captain Wallace. “That's about it Captain, we need the keys to open the trunk” she said.

24. “Aren't they in the ignition?” asked Wallace.

No sir”.

 

Alright, I'll get them. Did you find anything?”, Wallace asked.

Yep! Flower petals”, Campo answered.

Flower petals? What kind?”, asked Wallace

We can't tell right now, but they are old and dry”.

Let me know when you find out Sergeant”.

Will do”.

 

Thank you”, said Wallace as he wrote that information in his notebook.

Entering the Kerr residence again Wallace found Mr. and Mrs. Kerr along with Jane Chambers still in the library. “Miss Chambers, could I ask you to bring me Elizabeth's pocketbook again please”.

Certainly”, answered Miss chambers as she got up and left the room.

Did you find anything Captain?”, asked Mrs. Kerr.

Probably only more questions I'm afraid,” Wallace replied.

When Jane Chambers came back into the room she handed Wallace the pocketbook. He took it, opened it, looked inside and noticed that there were no car keys.

I have a question. If Elizabeth did not drive her automobile then where are her ignition keys? Did anyone of you drive her car recently? Does anyone have her keys maybe by mistake perhaps?”asked Wallace

The only other keys are the spare set that are kept with all of the automobile spare keys”, said Donald Kerr.

I see. Now, where has Elizabeth been where she could accumulate flower petals?”Wallace inquired.

Flower petals?” asked Doris Kerr.

The technicians found dried flower petals inside the Mercedes”, said Wallace.

25. “We have no idea”, said Mr. Kerr.

Wallace then looked at Miss Chambers hoping for an answer. Seeing the inquisitive look on his face she shook her head then said, “As for the keys let me look around the house for them. It's possible Betty just tossed them somewhere when she came in. I'll call you at your office when and if they turn up”.

Thank you. I appreciate that. In the mean time I want Elizabeth's address book. It might shed some light on just who she was associating with", Wallace replied.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

26.

Chapter Five

 

On Thursday, December 28, Robert Wallace sat at his desk typing a formal report from the notes he had written in his notebook. As he read the lines it occurred to him that Jane Chambers had not called about the missing car keys. Had she forgot or was she still looking? He resisted the urge to reach for the telephone on his desk and to call her at the Kerr residence. “No, I'll wait and call her at home tonight”, he thought to himself.

His thoughts were interrupted when Meredith Maxwell walked into his office. Wallace looked up and said, “Good morning Commissioner. Is there something I can do for you?”

Yes. You can start by obeying my orders”, said Maxwell.

I see. And, just what were they again?” asked Wallace.

You know damn well what they are. You were ordered by me to investigate the death of Elizabeth Kerr and report back to me or Chief Monahan”.

Which I did”, said Wallace.

I have not received any information”, said Maxwell.

Then, I suggest that you speak to the Chief. He has my reports. Whether or not he has read them is another story, but I submitted my reports.”

In an effort to save time Captain bring me up to date, verbally if you don't mind”, said Maxwell sarcastically.

Certainly. What we have at present is a homicide. The Kerr girl was poisoned. What with, we don't know at this time. The State labs are working on it. When I know, you will know”, answered Wallace.

Any idea who killed her and why?

Commissioner, at this point of the investigation the poisoning could be accidental or it could be intentional. My investigation is only hours old”, Wallace responded.

It is my understanding that the girl was a junkie”.

Right now you are relying on hearsay or street talk. The definition of a junkie could be one addicted to heroin. The Kerr girl was a user, but it is too early in the investigation to label her a junkie”, explained Wallace.

Maxwell's face became red with anger but he fought the rise in

27.

his temper turned and walked away. “Keep me advised Captain” he said walking out the door.

Yes sir”, said Wallace.

 

 

 

 

When Commissioner Maxwell left the Captain's office Wallace glanced at his wristwatch. He noticed the time to be ten forty five A.M.

He had contacted Martin Thomas by telephone at exactly nine A.M. that morning and the young man agreed to come into headquarters no later than eleven o'clock. As Wallace read and re-read his notes and reports searching for any piece of information that he might have over looked a voice in the office doorway made him look up.

Captain Wallace? I'm Martin Thomas. We spoke this morning on the telephone', said the young man in the entrance way .

Wallace stood up. “Come in, come in. Have a seat”, said the Captain as he walked across the floor and shook hands with the young man. As he did he looked Martin Thomas over. He found a man about twenty or twenty two years of age. The man was neat, clean and dressed in the style of the times, blue jeans, tennis shirt, loafers, no socks. Thomas was clean shaved and sported, long blond hair.

Taking his seat behind the desk Wallace began to speak. “First, I want to thank you for coming in to see me. I’m going to ask you several questions, mostly about your friendship with Elizabeth Kerr. At this time I want to advise you of the fact that our conversation will be recorded. Do you have any objections?

"No sir".

"Good, as you probably know by now I'm investigating the death of Elizabeth Kerr. It is my understanding that she was more than just a friend of yours. Am I correct?”

If you mean our dating was more than just a friendship, then you are correct”, said Thomas.

Then I take it there was nothing serious, no romance or anything?”,asked Wallace

No sir, just a girl I dated from time to time”, Thomas answered.

When you dated, did you use your car or her car?”asked the Captain.

28.

Some times hers. Sometimes mine”

And when you used her car, who drove?”

Most of the time I did”

Why?'

I don't know. It's probably a macho thing. I drove. She never objected.

Alright, now let's go to the night she died. Did you see her that evening?”

Yes sir”

Where and under what circumstances?”

 

 

I was at home watching a basketball game on T.V.

The telephone rang I answered and it was Betty. She told me that she was parked near the Hollywood theater and that she was sick and needed help. She asked me to come get her. I jumped into my car and drove into town, spotted her car, parked mine and went to her. When I got there she was really sick”.

Let me stop you right here. When you say she was really sick. Describe for me what you saw”, said Wallace

When I opened her car door I saw that she had vomited. I talked to her and I think she heard me, but now that I think about it I don't think she recognized me.'

Anything else?”

She told me that she couldn't see, that everything was blurry”.

And?”

And she had terrible pains in her stomach”

Alright, then what did you do?”, asked the Captain.

I guess by now it is no secret that Betty was using heroin”, said Thomas.

That's right. It is no secret”, answered Wallace

Well, at the time I though she was O.D. The stomach pain and vomiting to me was a result of her eating too much horse”.

Is that how Elizabeth used it, by ingesting?”

Yes sir”.

Go on”, said Wallace.

Like I said, I thought she had over dosed so the only thing I could think of was to get her to the hospital where she could get some help. I pulled her over on to the passenger seat, got behind the wheel and drove there. When I got to the hospital thinking that drugs were involved I realized that I didn't want to get involved so I pulled her out of the car and carried her to the bench near

29.

the emergency room entrance figuring that someone would come along and find her. I guess someone did”.

Yes someone did. What did you do next?”

I didn't know what to do. I drove around for awhile in her car, then decided to take it to the all night self service car wash. I used the water there to wash and clean the floor mats where she had vomited. Then I drove to the her place. I pulled into the garage and parked it. I walked home. The next day a friend drove me into town so I could get my wheels'.

Do you still have her car keys?, asked Wallace

Yes sir. Not thinking I got out of her car and put the keys in my pocket. Here they are”, said Thomas as he handed the keys to the Captain.

"Thank you. I know that you're also friends with Emma Prescott and Phillip Spencer. What can you tell me about a girl or woman named Gloria?" asked Wallace.

"Nothing...I sure don't know anyone named Gloria and I never heard Betty or the others talk about a Gloria".

" O.K. Martin. You have been very helpful. I want what you have told me to be kept confidential. That means don't go talking about what you did or didn't do in reference to Elizabeth. Right now this is a homicide investigation. There is a possibility that I might have to talk to you again. Meanwhile keep quiet. From now on you only talk to the police. do you understand?"

"Yes sir'.

"Good. Thanks for coming in", said Wallace shaking the young man's hand again.

When Martin Thomas left the office Wallace shut off the tape recorder then re-round the tape. He then sat back and played the taped conversation. From time to time he stopped the recording and took notes. As he did he looked up to see Frank Stiles enter the office.

"Good morning Cap. You sent for me? What's up?", said Stiles.

"Morning. Have a seat O'Neil is on his way. When he gets here I'll brief both of you and give you your assignments"

" Fine, but just between you and me is this going to be a hard nut to crack?", asked Stiles.

"We've had tougher cases. Besides where is your sense of adventure?", asked Wallace.

Just as he finished speaking to Stiles, O'Neil walked into the office. He carried a white paper bag containing three Styrofoam containers of coffee and three donuts, two lemon and one jelly. placing the bag on the desk he

30.

looked at Wallace and said," You owe me five dollars".

Wallace reached into the bag, removed one container of coffee along with an artificial creamer and two packets of sugar. Pouring both into the coffee he smiled and looked up at O'Neil and said, "You cheap bastard. you owe me your whole career". Both men laughed as the bag with the donuts was passed around. After taking a sip of coffee Wallace looked at both men and said, " Frank, I want you to talk to Phillip Spencer. Find out what you can about him, Martin Thomas, Emma Prescott and Elizabeth Kerr. What did they do?

Where did they go? See what you can find out about their drug use, particularly, heroin. Most of all does he know a female named Gloria? I will talk with Emma Prescott. Unfortunately, right now she's in Spain enjoying the Christmas holidays. Nonetheless, when she gets home I'll meet with her.

Bill, the reason I wanted you here this morning is to let you know that this homicide investigation is going to involve narcotics. Since you take over the Vice Squad next week I want you to know that any information we turn up involving drugs. particularly dealers you'll be the first to know. What I need from you is anything related to the Kerr murder".

"No problem Cap", O'Neil replied.

"Good. I hate to lose you. There's two men I'm looking at to join the unit", said Wallace.

"If you want my opinion Wally, Tom McKenna would be my choice", O'Neil replied.

"Just what I need, another hardheaded Irishman", said Wallace.

"Hey, if you don't want him, I'll take him". O'Neil responded.

"No, all kidding aside, if you recommend him that's good enough for me", said Wallace.

Later that afternoon Wallace finished his reports then typed a request for Detective Thomas McKenna to be transferred from the Detective Bureau to the Major crime Squad. He hand carried it to Chief Monahan who after reading it looked up at Wallace and asked, "Are you sure you want him?"

"Yep".

"Monahan nodded. O.K. you got him. However, I expect some results in the Kerr case and soon".

Wallace didn't respond, instead he turned and walked out of the office. Arriving home at his condo he picked up the telephone and dialed Doctor Edwards home telephone.

"Hello", said Edwards.

"What are you doing?", asked Wallace

31. "What do you want? I'm busy" Edwards replied.

"I have some information for you", Wallace explained.

"Such as?"

"Such as the Kerr girl".

"And?"

"I have a witness that told me her symptoms on the night she died".

"No shit?"

"Positively"

"And what were they"?

"Lack of vision, sever stomach pain and vomiting".

"Hell, that could be caused by anything"

"True. but here is a revelation. When she used heroin, Elizabeth Kerr always ingested it".

"Really? I would have expected that she used a suppository".

"Nope"

"Well when ingested the stomach converts the heroin into morphine before it is absorbed into the blood stream. it is less effective than using injections or snorting. It is similar to oral morphine and would be the perfect way to to take heroin. I have to admit the girl was clever.

"You said that you found a trace in her liver", said Wallace.

"I did. Normally, the user who ingests will expect a lesser high than when it is taken any other way. They start with say twenty to forty five milligrams then over time work upwards".

"How in hell do they eat this stuff?"

"Usually they mix the milligrams in something like a strong tasting drink".

"Damn. Well thanks for the lesson Manny. that's all I have for you".

"And, I thank you Robert. Talk to you later".

"Good by"

At seven thirty that evening, Wallace dialed the telephone number of Jane Chambers. He waited as the phone on her end rang three times. then he heard her voice, "Hello?"

"Hello yourself", he responded.

"Captain Wallace?"

"That's me"

"Oh, I'm so sorry I never got back to you about the car keys. to tell you the truth all I did all day was answer the telephone and fend off newspaper reporters, T.V. stations, not to mention those who came to the door",

32.

she explained.

"Don't worry about it. I have the keys".

"You do? Is that why you called?"

"Not entirely, however, it is a good excuse".

"An excuse for what?"

"It gives me a reason to call and ask you to dinner".

" So you think you need an excuse to ask me out".

"Let's say it's my way of breaking the ice".

"So, you think there is ice?"

Wallace laughed. "Now, you're putting words in my mouth. Will you have dinner with me Miss Chambers?"

"Yes Captain. I will. Where and when?"

"How about New Years Eve at the Glass Menagerie?"

"Wow! Can you get reservations at this late date?"

"You haven't said yes".

"Alright, I accept your invitation with one condition'.

"And that is?"

"Under no circumstances do we discuss the Kerr case or anything remotely associated with it".

"Deal..Believe me my mind will not be on the Kerr case on New Years Eve".

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

33. Chapter Six

 

 

Robert Wallace parked his Ford sedan in front of Jane Chambers house and walked to the front door. He glanced at his wristwatch and saw that it was seven thirty P.M. His reservations at the Glass Menagerie was for eight o'clock and since it was only a short drive to the restaurant he was ahead of time. He stood in front of the doorway, looked for and found the doorbell button then pressed it.

He heard the sound of high heels crossing a ceramic tile floor. Then the sound stopped and the door opened.

Wallace stood looking at Jane Chambers in complete surprise. She stood in front of him as a complete transformation. Eyeglasses with the black rims, were replaced by contact lens, brown hair he use to see combed back, in a bun now flowed down just past her shoulders. A pretty face that was void of makeup now appeared with eye shadow, mascara and lipstick. She wore a black, sleeveless jersey tuck dress with black cross strap shoes and he could tell just by looking at both that the outfit was expensive. She looked at him and said, “I'm sorry. Do I look alright?”

Of course, of course. Forgive me. I'm use to seeing you at work.”, Wallace answered.

Do you really think I wear business suits every day?”

No”.

I also wear blue jeans, flannel shirts and tennis shoes. In summer I prefer a bikini at the beach. So you see Captain, I'm only the personal secretary at work. Other times I'm just a normal young woman”, said Jane.

And may I say, a very beautiful young woman”, Wallace answered.

Thank you very much. I don't believe you, but it is nice to hear it anyway”, Miss Chambers replied.

While I'm standing here in your doorway Captain is my rank in the police department. Socially, my name is Robert”.

Oh. I'm sorry. Like you I reverted back to seeing you under different circumstances”.

No problem. Now, am I coming in or are you coming out?”

Jane laughed. “Again my apologies. Come In. I'll get my coat and we can go”.

Wallace stepped into the house, but stood just inside the doorway.

As he did he looked around seeing the expensive furnishings, the rug, the drapes and the art work hanging on the walls. He was tempted to cross the floor, enter the living room and really examine the paintings. The urge disappeared when Jane held out her coat to him and he helped her put it on.

After Wallace pulled away from the curb and began the drive to the

34.

restaurant Jane turned to him and asked, "I have a question for you. Why aren't you married?"

Robert smiled. "If there is a woman in the world who can put up with me on a permanent basis I haven't met her yet".

"Are you really that difficult?"

"That depends on who you ask".

"Tell me about yourself. Not the cop. The other you".

"The other me? Well, let me see. you already know that I'm single. I'm set financially , being the only child of very thrifty parents. I appreciate the finer things in life such as good music, art, theater, and as you know literature. At the same time I enjoy the outdoors. I enjoy camping, fishing and hiking. I also like fine dining with fine company and a hobby of mine is gourmet cooking".

"Really?..I don't picture you wearing an apron and chef's hat", said Jane.

"I wear an apron on occasion, never the chef's hat".

"What about your education? What year did you graduate from high school?", she asked.

"I didn't graduate. I dropped out when I was a junior".

"Really? Why?"

" The Korean War was on. I wanted to go, so I joined the Navy".

"But, surely you continued your education when you came home".

"Eventually"

"Did you go to college?"

"As a matter of fact I lecture in colleges".

"Really? On what subject?"

"Just about anything related to Criminal Justice and investigations".

"My. my, you are deep, very deep, Captain Wallace".

"And you at this very moment are not only beautiful, but mysterious".

"That's what you think of me, that I'm mysterious?"

"Certainly, for example, why do you maintain a certain

demeanor at work, but a completely different appearance at other times, like tonight?"

"Would you prefer to take me to dinner on New years Eve dressed in a suit?", she asked.

"Wallace laughed, you got me on that one".

"To be perfectly honest with you Robert my attire at work is a requirement set by my boss, Doris Kerr. She pays me well, very well and like you when the work day is over I revert back to the real me. When I do, I wear what I want, do what I want and go where I want".

35. "So what you are saying is that away from work you're independent".

"Just like you".

"Ouch! you got me again", said Wallace as he drove into the Glass Menagerie parking lot.

" Look at all these cars. This place is mobbed", said Jane.

"It's New Years Eve", Wallace answered as the parking valet opened the passenger side door allowing Jane Chambers to exit. Wallace got out of the Ford walked to the sidewalk and took the parking ticket from the young man. Together, Robert and Jane entered the restaurant. Taking off her coat she handed it to Wallace who then gave it to the hat check girl. "Do you want the ticket or should I hold on to it?", asked Robert.

"You keep it", Jane answered as she looked around the crowded dining room. On the stage a single piano player was performing and the music he rendered carried on the air and mixed with the voices of a hundred patrons seated at the bar or their tables. Wallace guided Jane to where the Maitre d stood behind a service desk. The man at the station smiled and said, "Good evening Captain. so nice to have you and the lady with us tonight. allow me to show you to your table".

"Thank you, Charles", Wallace replied and guiding Jane the couple followed the host to a window table. Wallace waited until the maitre d seated Jane then he took a seat. "Your waiter will be right with you Captain", the man said.

"There's no hurry Charles", said Wallace as he handed the head waiter a twenty dollar bill".

"This is lovely Robert. do you come here often?"

"No, only on special occasions".

"And New years Eve is a special occasion?"

"Not really. You are the special occasion".

"Come on now, you're making me blush', Jane responded.

Their conversation was interrupted when the waiter stepped up to the table. "Good evening. My name is Joseph and I will be your waiter tonight. May I get you something to drink?". he asked as he handed the couple menu's.

" I'll have a Bloody Mary and not too spicy please", said Jane.

"Very good. And, you sir?"

"You can bring me a cup of decaf coffee", said Wallace.

"Thank you", said the waiter as he turned and left.

"So now you're going to tell me that you don't drink", said Jane.

"Very seldom. Once in a while I'll have a beer, maybe wine at dinner, but not too often".

"Have you always refrained from alcohol?", she asked.

"It's not a question of refraining. I just don't happen to like it. Besides do you have any idea just how many drunks I've handled in my career?".

"So you don't drink and you don't smoke", said Jane.

36.

"Not now, I'm trying to quit smoking. I use to smoke two or three packs of cigarettes a day".

"Really?"

"Yep, have you found anything on the menu that you might like?', he asked.

"Not really"

"What's your, preference, meat, poultry, seafood?"

"All of the above", she answered with a giggle.

"Sorry, you have to pick one".

"What are you having?", she asked.

"Fish"

"I think I'll have a meat dish. You're familiar with the food here, order for me".

"I'm familiar with the cuisine, but not with you. Are you sure you want me to order for you?"

"Yes'.

"OK."

The waiter returned with their beverages and asked if they were ready to order. Wallace then ordered. "The lady will have the Salad DE Crevette, French Onion Soup, Lamb in Red Wine, roast potatoes and asparagus".

"Very good. and you sir?

"I'll have the Oysters Casino, Clam Chowder, Sole Veronique. Les Pommes Nouvelles and asparagus".

"Excellent. As you know the lamb in red wine is made to order so the chef asks that you be patient as you wait', advised Joseph.

"No problem. I see the orchestra taking the stage. We'll sit and listen to the music", Wallace replied.

"So you speak French", said Jane.

"Not really. A couple of years ago I took a menu home, got a French dictionary and practiced. I did the same thing with an Italian menu. I know that Les Pommes nouvelles is no more than boiled potatoes finished in butter'.

"Then what is the Salad DE Corvette that you ordered me?", she asked.

"Shrimp cocktail"

"Really? How did you know I like shrimp cocktail?"

"Just a guess"

Jane took a sip of her drink. "Are you guessing anything else?"

Wallace smiled. "Absolutely", he answered.

"And just what would that be?" she asked.

"I'm guessing that you would like to dance"

"So far you're two for two on guessing".

 

37. "And I haven't even started yet", said Wallace as he escorted her to the dance floor.

The orchestra began to play. As it did Wallace took Jane in his arms and began dancing across the floor. He smiled as he held her.

"What are you smiling at?", she asked.

"The orchestra is playing old Tommy Dorsey tunes. The one we're dancing to is, I'm Getting Sentimental Over You".

"And that makes you smile?", she asked.

"I'm a Dorsey fan, easy to dance to'.

"I must say that you do dance very well", she said.

"And that surprises you?"

"Robert, I've reached the point where nothing you do surprises me".

"As for my dancing you're pretty good at following"

Jane giggled, then said," It all depends where you plan on leading me".

"Be assured that it's not astray", Wallace responded.

"Oh, I'm assured. I just want to make sure that you know it".

Wallace began to laugh. "Do you honestly think that I would do anything to jeopardize the evening, not to mention what I hope will be a lasting friendship".

"No, I don't think you would", she answered as they headed back to their table.

Seated again, Wallace changed the subject "O.K. now it's my turn to ask questions".

"Where would you like to start?", she asked.

"Let's start with your dancing. you're pretty good. In fact you dance like a pro".

Jane smiled, "I took ballroom dancing in college rather than a phys ed class".

"What college?"

"Rutgers".

"What was your major?"

"Liberal Arts".

"Did you get your degree?", he asked.

"Certainly. I now know a little bit about everything, but not enough about anything. That's what a Liberal Arts degree gives you when you finish", she responded.

"I'm sure that it's not as bad as you claim. So, I take it that you are a New Jersey girl. Where are you from?"

"Born and raised in Toms River. Like you, no siblings. Mother and father deceased. Graduated high school 1961. Went to college on a scholarship my

37.

freshman year then I worked my way through as a waitress the next three years. I've dated some, never been engaged or married and that just about sums up my resume unless you have other questions".

"I do, but here comes our appetizers", said Robert.

The waiter placed the shrimp in front of Jane then walked to Wallace and placed in front of him a plate of oysters on the half shell that rested on crushed ice. "Excuse me sir, but will you be ordering wine?",he asked.

Wallace looked at Jane who nodded her head. "Yes, a bottle of Beaujolais Noumea please".

"Yes sir'.

"I thought that you would order white or pink since you are having seafood", offered Jane.

"You are having lamb in red wine".

"Of course, actually I forgot".

"No problem. How are your shrimp?'

"Excellent".

"Good, now here comes the owner. I'll introduce you to him.

Manny Hoffman walked up to the table placed his left hand on Robert's shoulder and offered his right hand in friendship. "Robert, you don't know how happy I was when I saw your name on the reservation list". Turning to Jane he said, "And you Miss, allow me to welcome you to the Glass Menagerie. I hope you enjoy your dinner and will return".

"Manny, this is Miss Jane Chambers, originally from Toms River, Rutgers University and other parts of North Jersey, but now resides in Nautilus Beach."

"A pleasure Miss Chambers. I hope that being from North Jersey doesn't mean that you are a New York Giant fan.”

I don't follow football”, said Jane

Hopefully, Robert will expose you to the Philadelphia Eagles. How do you like our resort town?”

"I find it very nice. I enjoy the beach, the boardwalk and the shopping. Of course I also enjoy the people, the residents", she answered.

"Fine, now if you will excuse me I have other guests that I must see. Enjoy your meal and come back soon", said Manny, shaking Robert's hand again.

He seems very nice”, said Jane.

Manny?...He's top of the line. Unfortunately it's a full house tonight and he must greet a lot of customers, otherwise he would have spent more time with us”.

Do we have enough time for another dance before the next course?”, she asked.

Hey, let's take the time”, he said.

38. When they stepped out on to the dance floor Robert took Jane in his arms. This time he held her closer and noticed that she didn't resist. The orchestra played, “The Touch Of Your Lips” and he guided her across the floor with ease, dancing around and through other couples that were on the Marley surface. He enjoyed the feel of her body close to him, the faint aroma of the shampoo she had used in her hair along with the light, fragrance of her perfume. Too soon the music ended and to him too soon he had to let go of her. When he did she looked up at him and said, “That was nice. This is a good orchestra”.

That's Bill Conover. A local boy that made good. I went to school with him. All he ever wanted to do is have his own band or orchestra. Well, he made it and he's good. He does his own arranging”, said Wally as they sat again at their table.

Over the second course, Robert looked up from the bowl of chowder he was eating and said, “Now, as far as that so called resume that you supposedly gave me a little while ago, which incidentally told me practically nothing it is now time for you to open up, tell me more”.

Jane smiled, “I bet you really want to know if I am a New York Giants fan”.

Not really, but I would like to know more about you, nothing personal of course, but your likes and dislikes, your interests, hobbies and ambitions”.

My interests, hmm. Let's see. Like you I like fine dining and although I do not indulge in gourmet cooking, I do experiment with a recipe from time to time. I enjoy the beach, swimming, getting a tan. I'm a fan of music, but not classical or rock and roll. I guess you can say I like the kind of music your friend the orchestra leader is providing. I dislike rude people, unruly children, guys that come on too fast and think they can get me into bed. I like my job and the perks that come with it. When Doris Kerr travels I go with her, so it could be Paris in spring or summer, South America or Spain in autumn and the ski slopes of Germany or Switzerland in Winter.'

But no football?”, asked Wally with a smile.

No, not yet”.

How are you and the outdoors?”, he asked.

I told you I enjoy the beach”, she said with a giggle.

No I mean outdoors, in the woods, surrounded by trees, the smell of pine in the air. The sound of a babbling brook as the water washes over stones and gravel. The call of blue jays and crows as they cry to one another. The aroma of a hardwood camp fire with sizzling steaks on a portable grill and the red/orange glow of dying embers in the darkness of evening. That kind of outdoors”.

You make it sound like paradise”, she replied.

Sometimes I think it is”, he answered.

Well, since I haven't tried it yet, I can't give an opinion”.

39. “Fair enough. But, you used the word yet. I might hold you to that”.

We'll see”, she said.

The waiter arrived with the entree's, removed the used soup bowls and silverware, asked if they needed anything and after finding everything satisfactory left the couple allowing them to dine.

Jane tasted her lamb and red wine and made a face.

Something wrong? Tell me, I'll send it back”, said Wally.

No you won't. It's delicious”.

Good, you had me worried”.

As they ate, Jane looked long and hard at Robert. “I know that there's more to you than you have told me”.

You think so? OK`, what else would you like to know?”

Why did you choose law enforcement as a career?”

That's mostly what I did in the Navy. I liked it and at the end if you make it there's a pension.”

What do you mean if you make it?”, she asked.

Hey, policemen are killed every year in this country”.

Doesn't that bother you?”

No. If it happens, it happens and they play the pipes for me”.

The pipes?”

Yeah, the bagpipes, They're played at most police funerals”

I didn't know that”.

I wrote a poem about it some time ago'.

Really? Recite it for me”.

It's called, “Police Officers Lament” and goes like this:

Play the pipes for me as you lay me to rest,

Play the pipes for me as I join the best,

Play the pipes for me as they carry me along,

Play the pipes for me, it's my farewell song.

 

Play the pipes for me and the others

Play the pipes for me and our brothers

 

Play the pipes for me as I go on my way, There's

nothing left to do, nothing more to say. My patrol

is over at last, and I've finished the task, One can

plainly see, so just play the pipes for me

 

And, as we move slowly through the streets, always

remember, these were my beats. Remember me as

I go on my way, and just stand and listen as the

40. bagpipes play,

 

And, when I'm buried near sand and sea, My

record will be left for all to see, all I ask in

return of thee, is play the pipes for me

 

Amazing. Absolutely amazing”, said Jane.

Hey, it's not that good”, Wally replied.

I don't mean the poem, although it is sound and effective.

I mean you. You are amazing. You sit there a tough cop, or at least you want to appear to be, yet deep inside you is the ability to appreciate the beauty of art and music and at the same time you care about and for the unfortunate.”

And, just where did you come up with that opinion?”

As you know Donald Kerr intends to run for City Commissioner. Since he has met you he has been impressed, so impressed that he has had you investigated”, said Jane.

Investigated for what?”

When he is elected, he intends to promote you to Deputy Chief and when Monahan retires next year promote you to the position”.

That's what he thinks. I have no interest in being Chief”

Why not?”

Just for that reason. I got my rank and promotions by taking the Civil Service exam. I will never kiss some politician's ass for any job”.

I expected that would be your reaction”.

Then, you're not disappointed”.

Hey, don't get mad at me. I'm only the girl telling you what I know”.

You're right. I'm sorry. What else do you know about this investigation?”

Not much more. Mr. Kerr finds you honest, and dedicated to your profession”.

Forget Mr. Kerr. How does Miss Jane Chambers find me?”

Do you really want to know?”

Absolutely”

Miss Jane Chambers finds you deep, very deep, so deep that you are very interesting. You being interesting makes me want to know more about you. For some reason I feel safe with you. I guess the safety device is your reputation of honesty. Somehow I don't think that you would hurt me or deceive me. I hope that I'm right”.

You are. Let's dance”, Wallace answered.

Robert and Jane passed the remaining hours of 1973, talking, and dancing. As it neared midnight the patrons of the Glass Menagerie crowded on

41.

to the dance floor and as the second hand on the large clock moved towards midnight they counted with a loud voice. Finally, the orchestra leader shouted, “Happy New Year and the musicians began to play Old Lang Syne. Wally stood with his arms still around her as she looked up at him. “It's customary to kiss the girl you're with when the New Year enters”, he said.

Then what are you waiting for?”, she asked.

He lowered his head and kissed her and was pleasantly surprised when she placed her hands behind his head and held him, allowing the kiss to linger and be long. Finally, when the kiss was over, Robert said, “Happy New Year”.

It is now”, said Jane with a smile.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

42.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Seven

 

Wallace stood placing the new calendar on the nail that projected from the sea foam green painted wall of his office. Finished, he turned to walk back to his desk and when he did he saw the young woman standing in the doorway. “You must be Miss Emma Prescott. Thank you for coming in. Please come in and have a seat”, he said.

Thank you. I assume that you want to talk to me about Betty.

I was in Spain at the time of her death, so I'm afraid I can't tell you too much that you don't already know”, she responded as she sat down.

Well, suppose I just ask you a few questions anyway. We'll see how it goes, OK?”

Fine”.

It's my understanding that you and Elizabeth were the best of friends”.

We were friends, good friends, but not the kind that spent all our time together. She had her life and I have mine”.

Good, please tell me what you know about her life”.

I'd say that she was a party girl. Fun, fun, fun. That's all she wanted to do. Have fun.”

When you say fun, how did she go about having fun?”

You name it, she would try it or do it?”

Sex?”

Yes”.

Alcohol?”

Of course”.

How about drugs?”

I know that she smoked marijuana from time to time”.

How about heroin?”

I never saw her use it and she never told me she was using it”.

How about her personal health? Did she ever complain to you about a skin problem, such as hives or a rash of some kind?”

No”

OK. Do you know or know of a female named Gloria?”

I know that Betty had contacted a dance instructor and that the woman's name was Gloria”.

Any last name that you might recall?”

No, I'm sorry”.

This dance instructor, what kind of dance does she teach?”

I think it's belly dancing”.

Belly dancing? Why would a girl like Elizabeth want to learn belly dancing?”

I told you. With Betty everything was fun, fun, fun”.

Do you recall where this Gloria lives or does business?”

No, I'm sorry.”

Do you know where or how Elizabeth would come in contact with flower petals?”

Flower petals? I have no idea”.

We found flower petals inside her vehicle and also in the trunk of her car”.

Sorry, I can't help you with that”.

Alright Miss Prescott. Once again I want to thank you for coming in. If I have any further questions I'll let you know”, said Wallace.

I'll be returning to school next week', said Emma.

I know where Princeton is. We can talk there or you could come home on the weekends. That would be up to you”.

I've already told you everything you wanted to know”.

Yes you have, but maybe together we'll think of something else. Meanwhile have a nice day”.

After Emma Prescott left his office Wallace picked up the receiver on his telephone and dialed the number for the laboratory. “Lab, Sergeant Campo”.

Sergeant?...Captain Wallace. Do you have any information on the flower petals found in the Kerr girl's automobile?”

Yes sir. Let me get the official report”.

Take your time”.

After a few minutes the Sergeant came back on line. “Captain, the report states that the dried flower petals are from the hibiscus plant, squash plant and pumpkin plant. They are estimated to be four to six months old in the state they are in”.

I see, thank you Sergeant”, said Wallace.

You're welcome sir”.

43. Wallace placed the receiver in the cradle and wrote down the information. As he did Detectives Stiles and McKenna entered the office.

Have a seat”, said Wallace.

As they did the Captain took a good look at Thomas McKenna.

Welcome to the Major Crime Squad Tom. There's no need to tell you what I expect from my officers. Besides, I taught you at the academy, so you know where I'm coming from and how I operate. As I 'm sure that Frank here has filled you in on the Kerr homicide investigation. What I want you to do is go out to the Community College. Hang out in the cafeteria, student lounge and the library. Talk to the students. See if anyone knew Elizabeth Kerr. If so, where was she getting her supply of heroin. Also, see if anyone is familiar with a dance instructor or belly dancer named Gloria. If anyone sees you as a cop admit it. There are plenty of policemen taking college courses out there. Nonetheless don't mention it unless your made. Understand?”

Yes sir”

At the same time, any information about drugs, particularly in relation to Nautilus Beach is to be given to Lieutenant O'Neil as soon as possible. However, as far as I'm concerned I'm not really interested in users unless they know something about the Kerr case”.

Got it”, said McKenna.

Turning to Stiles Wallace said. “Frank, I take it you still haven't come up with anything on Gloria. Therefore, the only lead I have now is that she might be a belly dancer and or a dance instructor. I want you to go to the newspaper morgue. Look through the back issues in the classified's. There might be an ad placed by a Gloria listing her name, or a telephone number. Hopefully you'll get lucky”.

No problem. If that's it I'm on my way”, said Stiles.

Same with me”, McKenna replied.

See you both later”,said Wallace.

After the two detectives left Wallace used the telephone again dialing the number for the Kerr residence. After three rings the butler answered. “Kerr residence”.

This is Captain Wallace Williams. I'd like to speak to Miss

Chambers if she is free please”.

One moment sir”

As he waited Wallace moved pencils, papers and a paper weight

On his desk. Finally, Jane came on the line. “Hello, how are you?”, she asked.

Fine. However. I'm calling as an investigator, not as a friend”.

I see. And, what does the investigator need to know?”

Did you know that Elisabeth was taking belly dancing lessons?”

44.

No. Where did you get that idea?”

The subject came up today. I got it first hand in an interview”.

Well, if she did then she kept it a secret, because no one here including me ever suspected her doing such a thing”.

Keep in mind that none of you suspected her of using heroin”.

Sadly that's true. Is there anything that you need?”

Remember the name Gloria?”

Yes, but I still don't remember the last name”.

Gloria is the dance instructor that Elizabeth contacted for lessons”.

It still doesn't ring a bell”.

Alright, if you can and if you have time look in her room for anything that might have a name or telephone number, such as an address book, business card, hell, even a scrap of paper”.

I'll see what I can find. Call me tonight and not as an investigator.

How about we have dinner tonight”.

Where?”

My place.”

Is this the time I get to taste your gourmet cooking?”

Yep”.

And, just what is the Chef preparing?”

How about steak Diane?”

Alright, pick me up at seven”.

I'll be there”.

At one o'clock in the afternoon Frank Stiles entered Captain Wallace's office and placed a torn page from his notebook on the desk.

What's this?”, asked Wallace.

You were right. I found an ad placed in the Nautilus Beach Press about a year ago advertising belly dancing lessons. Basically it said, “Learn Belly Dancing. Contact Gloria at 592 0097”.

Excellent!...Good job Frank. Let's see what we get”, said Wallace as he reached for the telephone and dialed the number. He was disappointed when a

voice came on the line and reported, “I'm sorry. The number you have dialed is no longer in service”.

Hanging up, Wallace then dialed another number and waited.

Douglas Miller, Security”, a voice answered.

Doug? Bob Wallace. How are you?”

Wally just great. What do you need?”

45.

Well since you are the head investigator for Bell Telephone in this area I need a name and address that goes with a telephone number”.

That should be easy. However, I have to know why for my report”.

No problem. It is in relation to a homicide investigation”.

OK. What's the number?”

592 0097”.

Give me an hour. I'll call you back”.

I'll be waiting”.

During the hour wait Wallace and Stiles went over the few facts that they had in the Kerr homicide. They didn't have much. As a matter of fact they still did not know what kind of poison killed the girl. Doctor Edwards was still waiting for the State Laboratory to send him their findings until then it was just one of many missing pieces of information that hindered the investigation. Finally, the telephone on the desk rang. “Major Crime Squad, Captain Wallace”, he answered.

Wally? Doug. Write this down. The number was listed to a Gloria

Esposito. The number has been disconnected for almost two weeks. The address we have is 1270A Lenape Village, Lenape Lakes, New Jersey”.

That's in the Western edge of the county, isn't it?”, asked Wallace.

Yep, out in the woods, so to speak”, Miller replied.

OK Doug, thanks a lot. This is a big help. You know if you need anything on our end, all you have to do is ask”.

I will, good by”.

Wallace glanced at his wristwatch noticing the time was just after one P.M. He hadn't had lunch yet, but neither did Stiles. Standing up he walked to the clothes tree in the corner and removed his coat.” Alright, let's go”, he said.

Where to?”, asked Stiles.

First, to the community college. We'll pick up McKenna. Then we'll stop at the diner across from the county court house and have lunch. Then we'll pay a visit to the Sheriff.”

I hope you're buying”. Said Stiles.

I though I got rid of O'Neil. You're just like him, another cheap bastard”.

After lunch the three men sat in the office of the County Sheriff.

Mario Florio puffed on a long, fat, cigar as he looked at Robert

Wallace. “I know this is not a social visit, so get to the point, what do you want?”

I'm investigating a murder. The investigation is going to take me out of Nautilus Beach and my jurisdiction. As a matter of fact it may take me all over

46.

the county. What I want is for you to deputize me and my men. This gives me jurisdiction anywhere in the area,” Wallace answered.

Why should I?”, asked Florio.

Because when I solve this Case and I will solve this case, the newspapers will run the story of how the County Sheriff used his office to aid the Nautilus Beach Police Department in solving the Kerr homicide case”.

And, if I don't?”

I solve the case by going over and around you and afterward telling the press how you refused to aid the Nautilus beach Police Department. And, as the former chief of the Nautilus Beach Police Department how do you think that would look to the voters?”, Wallace responded.

You son of a bitch”, uttered Florio”

Yep, I am. I had a good teacher. You. Hey, you could have stayed as Chief of Police. As a matter of fact you probably would have been the best if not the most famous Chief in the entire state of New Jersey. But, you wanted to be a politician. So, you attended fifty chicken dinners saying the same old bull shit to the voters and got elected. Now, you're in charge of the County Jail. The rest of the time you make sure your deputies serve papers for the courts. Right now I'm offering you the chance to be a cop again. People will remember just how good a police officer you were and they'll think that again. All you have to do is swear us in”.

Florio flicked the long white ash that had grown on the end of his cigar making sure it hit the ashtray on his desk”. “Alright. You've convinced me. All of you stand up and raise your right hand”.

In a matter of minutes, Wallace, Stiles, and McKenna were sworn in as County Deputy Sheriff's. On the way out of the building the three men stopped and picked up their county badges and identification cards. “I'm amazed at the way you spoke to him”, said Stiles.

Wallace smiled. “Mario? He owes me. What's nice is the fact that he knows he owes me. I pulled his ass out of a lot of fires when he was chief.

Besides he was always a news hound and will always be a news hound. Give him an opportunity to have his name or photograph in the papers and he'll jump at it'.

Alright, what do we do now?”, asked Stiles.

Well, since we're here close by let's drive out to Lenape Village”

Do you know where it is?”, asked Stiles.

No. Pull into the next gas station you see”, Wallace answered.

You could have asked the Sheriff”, Stiles replied.

Just go to the next gasoline station you see”, Wallace responded.

47. Twenty minutes later, after getting lost twice Stiles pulled up to the security gate of Lenape Village. A uniformed guard stuck his head out of the booth that served as his post and said, “ Who do you wish to see?”.

Gloria Esposito in 1270A”, said Stiles.

Is she expecting you?” asked the guard.

No”.

Please wait while I call her”.

Stiles watched the guard look at the list of residents with their telephone numbers then dialed the number. After a few minutes he hung up, stuck his head out of the booth again and said, “There's no answer. I'll open the gate. Pull through, make a U turn and exit the other side”.

Wallace got out of the unmarked car and walked up to the guard. He showed his badge and credentials. “Police. We're here on official police business. Now, if you don't mind I want you to open the gate and let us through. We will be going to 1270A. Once there we will determine whether or not Gloria Esposito is at home or not. If she is we'll conduct our business. If she isn't we'll conduct our business. One way or another we will do what we came here for. I hope you understand. By the way. Her telephone is disconnected. Don't try and bull shit me again. Got It?”

The guard didn't answer as he pushed the button that raised the barricade. Wallace got back in the car and Stiles drove through following the signs showing the twelve hundred block of Lenape Village. Five minutes later he stopped in front of 1270A. Wallace stepped out of the car and walked up on to the porch of a duplex. After knocking on the door he stood waiting. As he did he looked around the porch area. He noticed that while most duplex apartments had furniture on the porch, this one did not. While others had flower boxes, or hanging baskets 1270A was not adorned. The porch was bare except for a large spiders nest that had been built in a corner. Wallace knocked on the door again and waited.

She ain't home”.

Wallace turned to see an elderly man holding a leash attached to a mongrel dog. “How do you know?”, he asked.

Saw her leave yesterday. She ain't been back since. I know cause I keep a check on her place like she asked me. Since I do, mind telling me who you are and what you want?”

Certainly, I'm Captain Robert Wallace of the Nautilus Beach Police Department. I'm looking for a Gloria Esposito. I was told that she lives here'.

She does, but like I said, she ain't home”.

Do you happen to know where she is?”

Hard to say. She's a dancer, works supper and night clubs.

48.

Sometimes she's in Philadelphia or New York. Right now I don't know where she might be”.

You say that she is a dancer. My information is that she is a belly dancer, Is that correct?”, asked Wallace.

Yeah, she is and a damn good one they say”.

Funny, I never heard of a belly dancer named Gloria working in the area”, said Wallace searching for information.

Of course not. Gloria's professional name is Fatima”

Fatima, I never heard of her either”.

Well, that's her dancer name. Now, what do you want to see her about?”

That's personal, but thanks for letting me know that she's not home”.

You're welcome.”, said the old man as he walked away.

Wallace walked back to the unmarked radio car, opened the passenger side door, entered and sat down. Looking at Stiles he said,” Well, it's not a total loss. She uses the name Fatima as a dancer. When we get back to the office call some theatrical agents Frank. Start locally, then try Philly and New york. Someone should be able to find out if she's listed and in what agency. If so we should be able to see where she's working”.

Stiles nodded his head put the car in drive and headed out of the complex. “Where to now?”, he asked.

Headquarters”, Wallace answered.

********************************

Jane Chambers stood in the combination living-room, den and office of Robert Wallace's condominium looking at the various framed certificates and awards that hung on the walls. “You must be proud of all these accomplishments Robert”, she called to him as he worked in the kitchen.

Proud? May be one or two of them. The rest, well let's just say I appreciate them”, he answered as he took time to check on the potato's boiling in a pot on the stove”.

Can I ask you about Elizabeth?”

Certainly”

Are you making any progress in your investigation?”

A little bit. Today we found out more about Gloria Esposito.

Her stage name is Fatima. Hopefully we'll find out where she's working. When we do we'll question her about her relationship with Elizabeth and what she knows about her using heroin”.

49. “It must be fascinating to do what you do. Looking for clues, searching for information”.

Fascinating? No. Interesting, at times yes. Actually most police work is very boring. However, that's a good thing. When an officer has little or nothing to do it indicates that there is little or no crime. Nonetheless, the public then takes the position that policemen are lazy and either sit at their desks or in their patrol cars doing nothing and getting paid for it”.

Surely not everyone thinks that way”, said Jane.

No, only most everyone”.

How is dinner coming? Do you need any help?”

No. I'm getting ready to beat the hell out of these cuts of beef. Tell you what. You can set the table if you don't mind”.

I don't mind. Just tell me where everything is”.

Plates in this cupboard. Glasses right above the plates. Silverware in this drawer next to me. Do you want wine?”

I don't think so”.

Alright, ice water is in the refrigerator”, he said as he began tenderizing the beef using a rolling pin.

As she waited for him to finish with the meat she carefully set the table. Then after placing ice cubes in the glasses poured the water. When the pounding stopped she looked over at him and said, “I have something to tell you”.

You want us to see other people”, said Wallace laughing.

No, silly. Mr. and Mrs Kerr are flying to Mexico”.

And you are going with them”.

No. Will you stop interrupting me and let me speak?”

Sorry. Go ahead”.

They are flying down to Mexico on business. Mr. Kerr was in Florida when Elizabeth died. At that time he was making a transaction where he could buy sugar not only from the producer, but right from the fields”.

Smart move, him being in the fudge business”.

Exactly. Now he's going to Mexico looking for the same kind of

Arrangement with the cocoa growers. Once the business end is completed they will spend a couple of weeks there for a winter vacation”.

That leaves you and the butler”, said Wallace.

Williams is going on vacation. I'm staying to handle any correspondence or anything else of importance to Doris”.

Good”, said Wallace as he made a caramel glaze for the potato’s.

That's it? That's all you have to say?”, she asked.

50. “What do you want me to say?”

I'm trying to tell you that I'll have the house all to myself.

You and I can look for anything you want that will help solve Elizabeth's murder”.

Wallace shook his head. “No we can't. I only search with the proper warrants. If I asked you to search for anything you then become an instrument of and for the police. A good defense lawyer would destroy both of us on the stand. Even now, the fact that we've had two dinners together would be enough to disqualify any evidence or testimony you might be able to produce”.

But, I've already given you information'.

Yes, before the fact. Since then our relationship has changed.”

Are you sorry?”

Of course not”.

I thought that I could help”.

You are helping. You're allowing me to function in another world. One without killings, and mayhem. Just stay as sweet as you are. OK? “

OK”.

Good, now before I go to a lot of trouble, do you like braised celery?”

Yes

Excellent, your menu this evening my lady is Stake Diane, sugar brown potato's and braised celery. Madam has expressed that she does not desire a wine, therefore coffee can be served with or after the meal. What is your choice?”

After the meal”, `she replied, laughing.

Fine, now I suggest that you step back away from the chef and the stove as he pours in the warm brandy and ignites it creating a flambe''.

Have you done this before?”, she asked.

Oh yes, my lady several times”.

And what were the results?”

Let's see, the first time new kitchen curtains. The second time, first degree burns”.

Was that the last time?”

This might be the last time”, he said.

Jane laughed, “Robert, you are crazy”.

When they were finished eating Jane cleared the table and Robert put the pots, pans, dishes and utensils in the dishwasher. When they were finished they then walked into the living-room/den. Jane walked to the glass paned doors that led out on to the balcony and looked out and down at the beach. A steel-gray colored ocean sent small breakers towards the beach. As the waves broke, a

51.

winter wind blew, blowing white foam from the crest of the rolling walls of salt water.

No one goes to the beach in winter”, she said.

Some do. I do”, Wallace answered as he placed a record in the stereo.

Really. In the cold?”

Sure. It's great to walk the sand, a cold wind coming off of the ocean. The seagulls looking for surf clams that wash up on the beach after a storm. The best part is not too many people doing the same”.

Music began to come softly from the phonograph. He held out his arms to her. “Care to dance?”, he asked.

She walked to him and he took her in his arms. He held her to him for a minute then began to dance. He danced her near a wall then reached up and flipped the light switch, knowing that the next tune would be, “Dancing In The Dark”.

As the song began he lowered his head and kissed her on the lips. As he did the telephone rang. “Damn it!”, he said. He released her and went to his desk and picked up the telephone receiver.

Hello?”

Captain?... We found Gloria Esposito”, said Frank Stiles.

Where?”

On Epinger Boulevard. Uniform patrol noticed a car stopped in the middle of the highway with the motor running and the headlights on. They investigated and found her. She was dead”.

Do we know how she died?”

Not yet'. We have her pocketbook and an interesting newspaper article”.

What makes it interesting?”

It's an article about the Kerr girl's murder and mentions that you are the lead investigator”

Where's the body?”

It should be in the morgue by now”.

And her belongings?”

We have them”.

Good. I'll look at them in the morning”.

 

 

 

 

 

52.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Eight

 

Captain Wallace sat at his desk looking at the drivers license of Gloria Esposito. Although it contained her Lenape Lakes address the license Had expired two months ago. He leaned forward in the high back chair and made a note of that fact. He then examined the other contents of the pocketbook, finding a comb, lipstick, small mirror, keys and several white, business cards along with thirty seven dollars in cash. Picking up one of the cards he read, “ Fatima, Queen of the Arab Dance, Available For Social Affairs And Private Party's. Call 592 0090”. He looked at Stiles and asked, “Is that all she had with her?”

According to the two officers reports, that's it”.

Wallace reached across the desk and picked up the pocketbook.

He looked at it closely, examining it, finding it familiar. The handbag was made of leather and had a deep, dark, brown color. Attached to the purse was a long, leather strap. Indicating that Gloria Esposito used the pocketbook as a shoulder bag. He turned the bag over and looked at the intricate carving that had produced an Arabic design. Picking up the telephone he dialed the number for the Crime Scene Investigators. Sergeant Campo answered the phone.

Sergeant? This is Captain Wallace. I need a photographer here in my office. I want a photograph taken of a piece of evidence”.

I'll be right there sir”.

Ten minutes later, Sergeant June Campo arrived carrying a Graflex Crown four by five large film format camera. “Good morning Captain. I thought that I'd take the photo's you need”, she said.

53. “I want a couple of shots of this pocketbook. Try and give me pictures of the front, back, and side. Make sure you get that tooled leather design”, said Wallace. He then got up from his desk and out of the way of Sergeant Campo then stood and watched as she took the photographs.

When she was finished she asked, “Is there anything else Captain?”

Can you give me eight by ten prints?”

Yes sir. You'll have them in about an hour”.

Excellent”.

What do you want us to do?”,asked Stiles.

Go out to the police garage. Take a Crime Scene Investigator Officer with you and examine Gloria Esposito's automobile. I want it gone over inch by inch inside and out. Naturally, when you're finished I want reports”.

On the way”, said Stiles.

Using the telephone again Wallace dialed the number for the hospital morgue. It rang several times before he heard the voice of Doctor Edwards.

Morgue, Doctor Edwards”.

I understand you have the body of one Gloria Esposito”, said Wallace.

Is that her name? We haven't been formally introduced. I have her as a Jane Doe, white female, age and address unknown”.

That's probably the way the body was admitted last night. I'll have someone there with all the information you need”.

Good”.

Have you had time to ascertain the cause of death?”

Yep, heart failure?”

Anything else?”

As a matter of fact I was getting ready to call you. This woman you call Gloria Esposito has a rash that is identical to the one I found on Elizabeth Kerr who if you recall also died from heart failure”.

I'll be damned”, uttered Wallace.

I'm sure you will be, however I'm busy. If I find anything else I'll let you know”.

Anything from the State lab yet?”

No”.

OK, thanks Doc”.

Wallace pressed the disconnect button with his thumb then waited for a dial tone. When he heard it he dialed the number for the Kerr residence.

The telephone rang six times and just as he was getting ready to hang up he heard

54.

Jane's voice answer. “Hello?”

Hi, you must be busy”.

Not really, I was in the kitchen making lunch. I had to stop and take something off of the stove”.

Oh, I'm sorry to bother you, but I need something”.

What is it?”

I need Elizabeth's pocketbook. I'm looking for something, a connection between her and Gloria Esposito”.

How soon do you need it?”

How about an hour?”

Make it an hour and thirty minutes. I want to eat my lunch”

Then an hour and thirty minutes it is. Empty it out please. I only need the purse, not its contents”.

OK, good by”.

An hour later, Sergeant Campo walked into the office. “Captain I have the photo's you requested. Would you look at them and let me know if they're what you want?”, she asked. Wallace looked at each photo and said, “Perfect, thanks Sergeant. He then got up and put on his coat and headed for his assigned, unmarked car in the police parking lot. As he took the elevator down to the street level he glanced at his wristwatch and noted the time. He was early in his meeting with Jane. He stopped at the concession stand located in the city hall lobby. There he ordered a hot dog and soft drink then stood trying to balance the envelope containing the photographs with one hand while trying to counterbalance his lunch in the other hand. Finally, he took two large bites of the sandwich and washed it down with a gulp of soda, tossing what remained in the trash.

Thirty minutes later he rang the doorbell at the Kerr residence.

Jane opened the door immediately. “I've been standing here waiting for you”, she said.

Am I late? I stopped to have a hot dog”.

I know, you have mustard on the corner of your mouth”, she replied.

Sorry, I was in a hurry”

Come in. I have her purse. I emptied it just as you asked'.

Thank you. I want to compare it with these photo's I have of Gloria Esposito's shoulder bag”, said Robert as he removed the black and white pictures from the large envelope. He placed Elizabeth's pocketbook flat on the coffee table with the carved design on the front flap. He looked at the handbag then at the photo's. He did this three times then placed the photographs back in the envelope.

55.

 

 

The two shoulder bags are identical. I'm going to need Elizabeth's bag for a couple of hours. I want to show it to someone I know who is damn near an expert when it comes to leather and leather goods”.

What ever you want, Robert”.

Alright, I have to get going. Hopefully I'll catch this guy in his store”.

Will you call me tonight and let me know what is happening?”

Sure, but it may be late. I never know where an investigation will take me”.

Wallace parked the unmarked car in front of the A.C. Leather and Luggage Store on Ocean Ave. He then walked into the establishment and when he did he was met by a salesman. “Yes sir, how can I help you?”, asked the clerk.

Is Mr. Ginsberg here?”, asked Wallace

I'm afraid Mr. Ginsberg is busy right now. I'm sure I can help you. What do you need?”, asked the sales person.

I need you to go in the back to Howard's office and tell him that Robert Wallace is here to see him.

Is he expecting you?”

Look. Are you going back there or am I? This is a police matter and I don't have time to fiddle-fart around”, said Wallace showing his badge.

Oh, I'm sorry sir. Please excuse me. I'll tell Mr. Ginsberg immediately'.

Thank you”.

Howard Ginsberg walked into the showroom of the store putting out his right hand as he walked towards Wallace. “Robert, how are you. I can't remember the last time I saw you”, he said.

It was at Aron's Bar Mitzvah. What's he been up to?”

Trying to determine if he wants to be a Rabbi, merchant or hockey player. What can I do for you Robert?”, asked Howard.

I want to know what you can tell me about this pocketbook. In particular where it was made or where it is from?”

Ginsberg took the bag from Wallace and slowly brought it up to his nose, smelling it. Lowering it he said, It's made of Moroccan leather. And, it's good leather. Three years ago I imported ten thousand dollars worth of Moroccan leather goods, wallets, handbags, satchel's. All of it arrived in mid June and I put it on display. Some of it sold, some of it didn't. Then came fall and winter. With the cold I

56.

turned up the heat in the store. What happened? Such a smell. Such an odor. people I sold Moroccan goods to returned them complaining of the smell. Come to find out that it some parts of Morocco they tan the leather in camel urine. When that kind of leather is exposed to heat it emits the stink. Since then I don't handle Moroccan leather”.

What can you tell me about the carved design on the flap?”, asked Wallace.

Ginsberg examined the flap. “AS I told you, this is good leather and the carving was probably done by an artisan. It was probably made in Marrakesh or Tangier”.

If you were selling this item, what would you charge?”, asked Robert.

Between forty eight and sixty eight dollars”, Ginsberg answered.

Do you know of any one else selling Moroccan leather goods in the area?”, asked Wallace.

No, but you might check the gift shops in the hotels”.

Thanks Howard. Tell Aron I was asking for him”.

I will'.

Back in his office Wallace sat typing a report containing information about the two identical pocketbooks. Finished he pulled the original and three copies out of the typewriter and placed them in the file labeled, “Elizabeth Kerr, Homicide”. As he returned the file to the top drawer of the gray, steel cabinet, Detective Stiles walked into the office. Wallace turned and looked at him, surprised to see him back from his assignment so soon. “Are you finished?”, asked the Captain.

Yes and no. We found something that I thought you would want to know about it right now”.

And?'

Crime Scene Investigator found a lot of flower petals in the Esposito automobile”.

Where in the automobile?”

Under the front seat and in the trunk, just like the Kerr girl”.

Alright, tell the lab I want to know the identity of the petals.

Then send McKenna to the morgue. Have him give the identification information of Gloria Esposito to Doctor Edwards. When he's done at the hospital send him to every beach front hotel that has a gift shop. I want to know if any one of them is selling Moroccan leather goods”.

Anything else Cap?”, asked Stiles.

57. “Yeah, I'll be at the library. I want to read up on Morocco in particular and belly dancing in general. Don't ask me why. But that's all we have at the moment, Moroccan leather and a dead belly dancer.”

Later, that evening Robert Wallace sat at his kitchen table eating a frozen, meatloaf dinner that he had heated in the microwave oven, As he ate he read from the book he had taken from the Public Library, titled, “Belly Dance”.

Belly dance takes different forms depending on the country and region both in costume and dance steps. New styles have evolved in the West as its popularity had spread globally.

American Cabaret or American Restaurant belly dancing has developed its own distinctive style, using props and urging audience interaction. Many modern dancers use the music of Egyptian singers and the percussion of traditional feeling of music and dance in the Raks Sha' abi (dance of the people style)”.

Wallace closed the book, then moved it across the table and after taking a sip of coffee reached for another small volume, “The Drug Problem In Morocco”. He opened it and began to read again:

Due to economic and social, political and geographical factors, organized criminal groups in Morocco have developed a complex network for the cultivation, production and trafficking of cannabis resin, which is referred to as hashish.

The Rif region of Morocco has the largest acreage used for the cultivation of cannabis in the world. Located in the North of Morocco near Spain it is the traditional home of the Berbers. Forty Two per cent of the world supply of hashish comes from this region of Morocco and is the main economy of the Rif region.

In the production of hashish the resin glands of the cannabis plant is accumulated in containers or sifted from loose dry cannabis flowers with a mesh screen or sieve. This is called Kif or Kief and contains a much higher concentration of psychoactive cannabinoids, such as THC than that of the cannabis flowers from which it is derived. Traditionally, the Kif is pressed into cakes of hashish for easy storage, but can be vaporized or smoked in any form.

Chronic cannabis intoxication of a significant fraction of the male population still prevails in Morocco. Kif is mixed with tobacco and smoked.

Cultivation of Kif is tolerated in sixty square miles in the high Rif Mountains of Northern Mexico where it is the main cash crop for local farmers fifty, per cent of the male population consume Kif regularly.”

Roberts reading was interrupted by the ringing telephone on the kitchen wall. He got up from the table, lifted the receiver and said, “Hello”

58. “What are you doing?”, asked Doctor Edwards.

Trying to eat supper and read up on Moroccan grass”.

The kind you walk on or the kind you smoke?”

The kind you smoke”.

Listen, I have some information for you. I had to stop by my office to pick up my other pair of eyeglasses. When I got here I found a letter from the State Laboratory. Naturally, I opened it. When I did I found the result of the test done for ascertaining the type of poison that killed the Kerr girl”.

And, what is it?”

Neriin”

Never heard of it”

It's contained in the oleander bush. All parts of the plant are toxic, the flowers, roots, bark, sap. Even honey made from bees taking nectar from the flowers will kill'.

And, that's what they say kill Elizabeth Kerr”.

Yep”.

It doesn't figure Manny. Have you ever seen or heard of an oleander bush in New Jersey?”.

No, but, there are such things as hot houses”.

True, I'll give you that”, said Wallace.

Thank you. Anyway, to be sure I 'm going to examine the stomach contents of Elizabeth tomorrow, just to establish that the State of New Jersey is right in their analysis”, said Edwards.

You mean you still have them?”

Certainly, they've been in the freezer. It's just a matter of defrosting and using the microscope”.

While you're at it, check Gloria Esposito's stomach contents, since you think she died in the same way Elizabeth did.

Now why didn't I think of that. You shit head! Don't you think I know what I'm doing?”, said Doctor Edwards sarcastically.

Sorry. Alright let me know what turns up”.

Naturally, good by”.

Good by Doc”.

Wallace picked up the book “The Drug Problem In Morocco” with one hand and the cup of coffee resting on the table with the other. He carried both into the combination living room, den and office and took a seat in the recliner.

As he sat looking at the cover of the volume his thoughts went back to the time when he commanded the Vice Squad. “Then the preferred drug on the street was marijuana and some heroin. However, the pot on the street in those days was crude,

59.

coarse and came from places like Indiana or Kentucky where during World War Two hemp was grown for the war effort. Later, a better and finer variety appeared smuggled in from Mexico. The Squad made several arrests, but most of those incarcerated were small time users. He could remember only two “pushersor suppliers being apprehended. Nonetheless, at no time did hashish appear, nor did Kif, but that was then, this is now.

Right now, I have a homicide victim that was using heroin. Vince Perone told me before he retired that heroin was out there and being used by the rich kids. Where is it coming from? Where did Elizabeth get it? According to Doc Edwards she had been using it for some time and he based that on the analysis of her liver.

What about marijuana? She ingested heroin. Did she ingest marijuana? Did Doc Edwards conduct test to determine if cannabis was in her system”.

Wallace got up out of the chair and went to the telephone on the desk. He dialed Edward's number.

Doctor Edwards answered with a bothered tone of voice, “Hello!”

Did you test the Kerr girl for cannabis?”, asked Wallace.

Do you realize that I'm trying to watch a movie and you're bothering the hell out of me?”

Hey, I need to know”

Then read my report”.

You haven't submitted it yet”.

Oh yes I did”.

I didn't get it”.

Well then, for your information I made three tests for cannabis. I tested her urine, hair and blood and each test was negative”.

Suppose she used it a lengthy time before she was poisoned?”

Listen, Robert, the urine test would indicate cannabis if she used it two to three days before her death, providing she was an infrequent user. If she was a heavy user, the test would confirm a positive if she used it between one to fifteen days. If she was a chronic abuser the test would pick up cannabis if she used it between one to thirty days. Now, as a pathologist who thinks very highly of himself, I would say that the test results from the examinations I conducted on Elizabeth Kerr not only indicate, but prove that there was no cannabis in her system. Now, if that doesn't answer your question, tough shit!”.

You are a grouchy old bastard”.

You'd be grouchy too if you had a movie interrupted by an inconsiderate Cop”.

What's the movie?”

60. “Zulu”.

Saw it. The British win”.

Thanks a lot asshole. Good by”.

Wallace laughed as he hang up the phone. He then returned to the recliner and sat down. As usual when he conducted an investigation and in particular a homicide investigation his mind would constantly work, forcing him to view and review the evidence, the clues and specifically unanswered questions. “Why were there dead, dried flowers in both woman's cars?. What did the flowers represent? Sure as hell they symbolize something. What? Think, damn it think. Go over what you have already. Belly dancers, Moroccan leather identical pocketbooks,

oleander poison and dead, or dried flowers. Belly dancers, and Moroccan leather, combine the two and we have Morocco. Oleander and dried flowers, we have flowers”. Robert got up and out of the chair and went to his small library. He selected the red leather bound Encyclopedia with the large O letter on the spine and looked up oleander and read, “Oleander is the common and species name for a poisonous evergreen shrub or small tree, Nerium oleander in the dogbane family. Oleander is one of the most poisonous plants to humans known. It is found from Portugal in Europe and Morocco in North Africa to China.”

Son of a bitch”, he said aloud. There it is again, another Morocco connection.”. He placed the book back on the shelf and went to the telephone. After dialing the number he waitedimpatiently for someone to answer. Finally, he got a response. “Crime Lab, officer Hudson.

This is Captain Wallace. Do you know if all of the testing has been done on the dried flowers found in the Kerr and Esposito automobiles?”

As far as I know the tests are on going Captain”.

Good, I want an additional examination done on that evidence. Tell the technicians to look for oleander flowers or petals in both cases. Got it?”

Yes sir”.

Excellent, and I want a verbal and written report if they find them. Good by”.

With the telephone call over, Wallace went to the stereo and after selecting a record placed, “Maid with The Flaxen Hair” by Debussy on the turn table and as the music began to play he went to where his blue blazer was draped on the settee . Picking it up, he reached into the inside pocket and withdrew a notebook. Taking a seat again in the recliner he turned the pages of the small tablet and read and re-read his notes, notes that contained pertinent information in his investigation. As he read he stopped, then turned back the pages and started reading again from the first page.

Something was missing. Then it came to him. He had assigned

61.

Frank Stiles to interview Philip Spencer. “Did Frank talk to Spencer? I don't remember him reporting that he had, either verbally or in a written report. It wasn't like Stiles to not do an assignment”, Robert thought to himself.

Wallace glanced at his wristwatch, noticed the time and seeing it as being early evening got up out of the chair again and went to the telephone. There he called Frank Stiles at home. “Hello?”, said Stiles when he answered the phone.

It's me. I have a question for you. Did you ever talk to Philip Spencer?”, asked Wallace.

No, not yet. If you remember you gave me two assignments Cap.

One was the Spencer guy. The other was to search the newspaper morgue for information on Gloria Esposito. When I gave you the information on Esposito we got involved by going out of town, meeting with the Sheriff and going to Lenape Lakes.

I figured that the Spencer guy could wait”, said Stiles.

OK, I understand, just checking my notes, that's all. See you in the morning”.

Right, good night”.

Wally dialed Jane’s number. When she answered he said, “Sorry to bother you but what do you know about Philip Spencer?”

As I told you, he was a mutual friend of Elizabeth. Along with Emma. Emma dated him, but there was nothing serious between them, or so I was told.”

And, he's a student at Princeton?”

All four of them planned to go to Princeton. Emma is there now. I don't know about the boys and I told you about Elizabeth”.

Yeah, you did. Martin Thomas is a student there also. Funny, I interviewed both Emma Prescott and Martin Thomas and Phillip Spencer was never mentioned by either one of them”.

And you find that odd?”, she asked.

Somewhat”.

And now you think they're hiding something from you?”

No, I think they don't want to get involved in this matter. The question is why?”

*********************************

Wallace got off of the elevator and walked towards his office. As he did he saw he saw June Campo waiting outside of the office door. “Good morning Sergeant. I take it you want to see me”, he said.

Yes sir. I was told that you wanted both a written and verbal report on our findings of dry flower petals found in the two automobiles”.

62. “That's correct. What can you tell me?”. He asked.

I can give you my opinion which means beside the things we found in the Kerr automobile I believe that we have dry rose petals in the Esposito car. But that's just my opinion. Your request that we look for oleander flowers is not possible at this time. We don't have the equipment or the knowledge to conduct such a test. To tell you the truth none of us have ever seen oleander”.

That means using the State Laboratory “.

Yes sir”.

And more delays”.

Probably”.

Thanks Sergeant. Send the evidence to the State”.

Yes sir'.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

63. Chapter Nine

 

 

Robert Wallace sat comfortably in the high back. Leather covered chair. He sipped coffee from a Styrofoam cup and listened intently as Detective Frank Stiles read from his notes. “It seems that Phillip Spencer was a hot shot jock in high school. He lettered in football, basketball and baseball, but he excelled in football as a running back.”.

Which high school?”, asked Wallace interrupting Stiles.

King Joseph. It's up around Wayne”, Stiles replied.

OK”.

Any way, the Spencer family is involved in hotels and motels.

They have two franchises with Quality Inn and they own the Beach View Hotel here in Nautilus Beach. The father is Harry Spencer, the brains behind the hotel operation. He is a Free Mason, member of Kiwanis, but is not too active in either organization.

The mother is Constance Spencer she is responsible for the hiring and firing and the word is that she is one tough nut. Away from the business she is interested in creating and expanding the cultural tastes of the local population bringing in such things as symphony orchestras , opera and Broadway shows.”

A girl after my own heart”, Wallace remarked.

It seems that Phillip Spencer is the only child. He comes from a rich family that handed him anything he wanted. As gifted as he was in sports he is a disaster socially. He has been charged three times for atrocious assault and battery. Each time the old man got him out of it by buying off the complainant. There is also a rumor, and I'm still working on this, the rumor is that he was recruited to play football at Penn State, but failed the drug test”.

Do you know what kind of drugs they found?”, asked Wallace.

Marijuana”.

Go ahead, what else?”

Some how after coming to Nautilus Beach he fell in with the rich crowd. He hung out with the Kerr girl, Martin Thomas and dated Emma Prescott.

The four of them intended to go to Princeton University. The Thomas boy, Elizabeth Kerr and Emma Prescott applied for admission. Martin Thomas and Miss Prescott were accepted and now attend classes. As you know, the Kerr girl lacked math credits and was rejected.”

What about the Spencer kid?”

He drove up there and met with the football coach and more or less demanded a jock scholarship. Naturally the coach contacted the King Joseph coach and found out about the failed drug test at Penn State. However, the Princeton

64.

coach offered the kid the opportunity to try out as a walk on. But, that wasn't good enough. Even though the family could afford to pay the tuition Phillip wanted the reputation of being sought-after by the football program at Princeton”.

OK, I know he's not at the university. What else do you have?”, asked Wallace.

He's working as a bouncer at a place called, “The Kasbah”

Kasbah means fort”, said Wallace.

I checked around. All I know is that it is a Mediterranean type supper club and gift shop. Supposedly its in Greenfield and sits back in the woods”.

Where the hell is Greenfield?” asked Wally.

Cape May County, near Reeds Beach”, said Stiles.

I'm familiar with Reeds Beach. Doc Edwards and I go down there to fish for weakfish in Delaware Bay, but I never heard of or saw a sign pointing to Greenfield”.

You won't find it on any map, at least the maps that are out there today. But my information is reliable. Believe me, there is a place called Greenfield”, Stiles insisted.

Then I assume you know how to get there”.

Not right now, but give me some time and I'll have the directions”.

You have the rest of the day to get the directions because tonight you and I are going the Greenfield and take a look at this Kasbah as you call

it”.

Let me use the telephone to call my informant”.

Go right ahead”, said Wallace sliding the phone across the desk”.

Later that night Frank stiles drove the unmarked police car slowly down a rut infested gravel road. Using the high beam headlights he was able to avoid most of the pot holes, grooves and furrows that constant traffic had created

In the thoroughfare. Fortunately, the night was cold, below freezing and the low evening temperature froze the loose wet gravel which turned into a slush consisting of mud and melted ice and snow in the afternoon and the Chrysler moved as if on a hard tarmac.

Wallace rode in the passenger seat looking out of the side window. All he could see in the night was the dense forest consisting mostly of tall pines as the bright lights emitted by the automobile illuminated the woodland .

Looking over at Stiles, he said, “You're sure you know where you're going?”

We've got to find a paved road that leads into woods. The

65.

owners of this place had the entrance way paved all the way from this gravel strip all the way to the club. There should also be a paved parking lot when we get there”.

If we get there”, Wallace responded.

Keep you eyes open Cap. The entrance should be on your side”.

We have to be getting close. I've been seeing telephone poles for the last three or four miles. The telephone an electric companies are not going to run lines that go no where”.

Speaking of telephone poles, look for one with reflectors. When we see that the entrance is right behind it”, said Stiles.

Why in hell would anyone want to build a restaurant way the hell out here in the woods?”, asked Wallace.

I don't know, but you can bet they got the land cheap”.

Slow down. I think I just saw the headlight bounce off of something red and blue up ahead. Yeah there it is. There's the driveway”.

Stiles pulled into the narrow, paved road and while driving slow followed the black asphalt private road. About a quarter of a mile later the parking lot and restaurant came into view. Lights from the supper club illuminated the parking area and the detective pulled into an empty spot between two parked automobiles and turned off the ignition.

Let's sit here awhile. I want to look this place over”, said Wallace. He rolled down the car window and when he did the frigid night air entered the vehicle. At the same time the sound of music came from the well lighted building across the parking area.

That sure as hell isn't rock and roll”, said stiles.

No. That's Berber music, a song being sung by men. It's probably a folk tune recording from the Rif mountains,” said Wallace as he looked at and counted the parked automobiles.

Here comes someone”, said Stiles.

Good, I was hoping some body would come out”.

Wallace got out of the Chrysler, closed the door and walked towards the man who had just left the supper club. “Excuse me. This is my first time here. Could you tell me whether or not there is a cover charge in the club?”

No. Not tonight. The only time there is a cover charge is on Friday and Saturday nights and that depends on who or what the entertainment turns out to be”, said the man.

What sort of entertainment?”, asked Wallace.

Most of the time it's belly dancers. Sometimes Arab bands.

The first show goes on around eight o'clock, the last show at about ten”.

66. “Are the belly dancers any good?”

Most of them are amateur house wives trying to make an extra buck'.

I see. How's the food?”, asked Wallace.

Good, providing you like Mediterranean”.

It must be good. I notice that you have take out”.

The stranger laughed. “Hell yeah, this place does a hell of a business when it comes to take out. Hey, I hope you enjoy your meal. Now, I've got to get going”, he said as he continued walking to his car.

I take it then that this place does a good business”, said the Captain.

Certainly, particularly on the weekend. People come from all over, New york, Delaware , Pennsylvania, mostly the Philly crowd”.

How come they don't advertise? “, asked Robert

They don't have to advertise. Word of mouth is enough. Come down here on the weekend. You'll see what I mean”.

Hey, I believe you. I'm interested in the food. What do you recommend?”, asked Wallace.

Man it's all good. I just bought the stuffed squash blossoms. You can't go wrong with that”, answered the man, laughing as he walked away.

Wallace watched the man open the back door of a black sedan and carefully place the take out package on the back seat. When the stranger drove away Wallace got back inside the unmarked radio car. Looking at Stiles he said, “OK, lets go. I've seen enough. Tomorrow you go looking for a nice young police woman that will fit in with these discoers. Team her with McKenna. Make sure he has plenty of money, say three hundred. I want them there on the weekend. Have them eat dinner and take in the entertainment. Also have the police woman tour the gift shop. I want to know what is being offered for sale. Outside in the parking lot have them write down license plate numbers of every New Jersey car”.

What about those from Philly?”, asked Stiles.

We can get information on Jersey cars faster than those registered in Pennsylvania”.

Cap, you do realize that we don't have jurisdiction in Cape May County”.

Certainly. This area is patrolled by the State Police. Now, you really don't expect me to kiss some troopers ass to get permission to investigate a case of homicide, which incidentally is my case. Then, after I solve this murder and I will solve this murder, stand on the side and watch them take credit? Bullshit!”.

Do you want Mckenna and the police woman in your office in

67.

the morning?”, asked Stiles.

No, you handle it. Just make sure we have a receipt for the three hundred”. While you're doing that I'll be at the morgue trying to find out what the two victims ate that killed them”.

The next morning Robert Wallace walked into the hospital morgue. He carried the usual morning paper bag containing Styrofoam cups of coffee and two donuts. Doctor Edwards sat at a table looking through the lens of a microscope. “I brought coffee and donuts”, said Wallace.

How many times have I told you that we make out own coffee here?”, asked Edwards.

It doesn’t matter how many times. Knowing you, you probably used the coffee pot to collect some poor bastards urine so you could examine it.”

You'd never know”, said Edwards.

Taking a sip of coffee, Wallace asked, “Come up with anything yet?”

It appears Miss Kerr ate a salad. I'm finding tomato's ,

lettuce and some onion. Don't forget according to you on the night she died she had vomited in her car. As a hot shot criminal investigator you didn't save what she splashed on the car floor mats. Had you done that, I might be able to tell you

where the neriin came from”.

If I had been there, the evidence would have been preserved and you would have what you need. However, I wasn't there. No one was until the Thomas boy showed up to help her.”

Edwards got up from the bench and picked up a cup of coffee. Then he reached into the white paper bag and removed a donut. How much do I owe you?”, he asked.

Nothing, it's on me”,Wallace answered.

Sure, big spender. You treat me to two dollars worth of coffee and donuts and the next time we eat in a restaurant I'll have to pick up the check”, Edwards replied as he walked back to the bench. There he placed the cup of coffee on the work table and after getting comfortable and putting on latex gloves peered through the microscope again. With one gloved hand and using a pair of thin forceps he moved microscopic pieces of partly digested food that he had removed from Elizabeth Kerr's stomach on the day of the autopsy.

Wallace took a sip of coffee then licked the lemon filling of the donut he held in his hand. “What happens if you don't find anything?”, he asked.

Then you and the prosecutor have to prove where the

68.

neriin came from and good luck with that”, Edwards answered.

We still have the State Lab toxicology report”

What you want is evidence that a oleander product was deliberately placed in her food making her death a premeditated murder”.

Well then I hope that you find something”, said Wallace.

I think I just did. Interesting. A thick, dark green piece of vegetation that shouldn't be in a salad mix”, said Edwards as he reached for two glass slides..

 

Is it oleander?”, asked Wallace.

Probably, but once again I'll send this specimen to the State Lab. Right now Let's see if I can find anymore “.

What about the Esposito girl?”, asked Wallace.

I'm betting she died the same way, neriin poison”.

What happens if you don't find anything that was in Gloria Esposito's stomach?”

Then, I'll do what I planned to do and that is to take samples from both women to a friend of mine who owns and operates the equipment for digoxin radioimmunassay, also known as the Abott TDX Analyzer” said Edwards.

And what will that do?”

The test will confirm digoxin and the toxicity, unfortunately it will not reveal the severity of the toxicity. But, hey, like the saying goes a half loaf is better than no loaf”.

Yeah, but will it identify neriin?” asked Wallace.

It should, but if oleander was used to kill both women then the test will identify digitoxigenin. Patients with cardiac arrhythmia's attributed to digoxin toxicity had a mean level of 3,3, ng. per million at the time of death. The test should prove it one way or another”.

Ng.? What the hell is an ng?”

Nanogram. It's a measurement for mass. Now, I'm getting paid to analyze your victims, not to teach you scientific methods”, said Edwards.

Like I've said before, you are a grumpy old bastard”, Wallace responded.

Notice that this only occurs in me when you come around”.

Yeah, yeah Well. I'll let you keep looking. I'm going back to headquarters”.

69. “Good place for you. Get the hell out of here”.

I'll call you later. Do you want to have dinner tonight?”, asked Wallace.

Where?”

That's up to you. Anything but Mexican”.

How about Italian?”

Yeah, I could do Italian”.

Then meet me at Angelo's at seven thirty'.

See you then”, answered Wallace as he walked out of the morgue”.

Arriving back at headquarters Wallace went to his office. When he entered he found Frank Stiles sitting at the Captains desk talking to McKenna and a young blond policewoman. “How are we making out?”, asked Wallace.

We're just finishing up Cap. They both know the assignment. Unless you have anything you might have thought of since you and I talked, they're ready to go”, said Stiles.

Wallace took a long hard look at the blond woman. She was short, slightly built, not beautiful, but attractive which was an asset for this particular assignment. He wanted the couple to blend in not stand out in a crowd.

Looking directly at the woman, Wallace asked, “What's your name officer?”

Carol Myers, sir”.

I don't see any ring on your finger so I assume you're single”.

Yes sir”

Good I don't need some worried or jealous husband coming to me asking for his wife to be re-assigned. Now, Officer Myers the only thing that I can add to what Detective Stiles has already told you is this, I want you to get into that gift shop. Shop like most woman shop, look, look, look, then buy something, something not too cheap and not too expensive. Whatever you buy make sure you get a receipt . The receipt justifies the expense account for this case. It also proves in court that you were there at the time and on the date in your reports. Wait just a moment”,said Wallace as he walked over to the filing cabinet. He opened one of the drawers and removed the Kerr folder. From that, he took out one of the eight by ten black and white photographs of Elizabeth's pocketbook. Handing it to Officer Myers he said. “Study that photo. Take a long look at the tooling on the leather flap. As you shop look for any leather shoulder bag that matches or comes close to the one in the picture”.

70. As Myers studied the photograph Wallace turned his attention to Tom Mckenna. I have two things I want you to do. The first, is be a disco guy. Play the role. Have fun, but keep your mind on your assignment. Order a nice dinner for both of you. Drink, but drink in moderation”. I need both of you to fit in with the crowd. Next, while Myers is in the gift shop, I want you out in the parking lot. I'm sure Frank has told you I only want New Jersey tags this time. Take your time, that gives Myers plenty of time in the gift shop. Let me be perfectly clear, and I repeat, have fun. But this assignment is important to this case and your job is to ascertain information. Got it?”

Both officers answered, “Yes sir”.

Good, since your assignment is for Saturday night and you are allotted to the patrol division I have to have you assigned to me. Before I do, are you sure you want this detail?”, Wallace asked Myers.

Yes sir. I'm looking forward to it”, she answered.

Good, how long have you been in the business?”, he asked.

Just over a year”.

Well, if you're looking at being a detective one day this is a great opportunity for you”.

Yes. I know”.

Alright Myers. Take the rest of the day off. I'll have your orders cut. Report to either me or Detective Stiles tomorrow. Technically the Major Crime Squad works from eight A.M. To four P.M. So that means be here by eight in the morning”.

Eight, no problem”.

Incidentally Myers, what weapon do you carry when off duty?”

A thirty eight caliber Colt Detective Special”.

Great, make sure it's in your purse that night.”.

Turning to Mckenna he said, “Sign for the money. You get three hundred dollars. Go to the bank, break a fifty into small bills and give them to Myers.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to create a good looking bank roll to show off in the restaurant , but don't be too obvious”.

Got it Cap”, said Mckenna”.

Did I forget anything?”, Wallace asked Stiles.

No, you just about covered everything”. Stiles answered.

Excellent, now both of you get out of here”, Wallace ordered.

After Myers and McKenna left, Stiles turned to Wallace and asked, “Do you think those two will come up with anything?”

Certainly. The assignment is easy enough. Myers will be able to report on the gift shop. What kind of merchandise is for sale? What seems to be the

71.

big seller? And, are there plenty of shoulder bags like those carried by the Kerr and Esposito girls or are those two pocketbooks unique. From what I saw the night we were out there I am more or less under the opinion that one or more dirt bags are visitors to the Kasbah. All McKenna has to do is give us a license plate number of

one of those malefactor bastards and it might take us where we want to go”.

Well Cap, you can bet the place is dirty with drugs, said stiles.

Certainly, but drugs are not my concern. As I've said, if drugs becomes an issue in this homicide investigation then I bring in Bill O'Neil”.

****************************

Later that evening Wallace sat across the table from Doctor Manfred Edwards watching the pathologist sipping a scotch and soda. As he did he stirred the cream and sugar he had put in the cup of decaf coffee he had ordered.”Well did you get to do the examination on Gloria Esposito?”, he asked.

As a matter of fact, I did'.

And pray tell, what did you find Doctor?”

Her stomach contained. Wait a minute I wrote this down so I wouldn't forget”.

Getting senile aren't you, you old bastard”.

Do you want the information or do you want to keep insulting me”.

As much as I enjoy tormenting you, the information is more important. Read to me and don't tell me you don't need glasses”.

Reading from a scrap of paper, Edwards said, “ Her stomach contained beef, onions, what appeared to be spices like ginger, saffron, turmeric, olive oil and possibly cinnamon. Does that mean anything to you?”

Saffron is used in Mediterranean cooking. It's used frequently in Spain. There's been a Spanish influence in Morocco for centuries. I'm guessing what you found are the remains of a beef tangine and that's a Moroccan dish”, Wallace replied.

Well, that's what I found. That's your evidence”

True, but it's circumstantial, but for now it will have to do.

What about the neriin? Did you find it?”.

No, but it's there. I think it was in the meat. The killer or killers, took the beef, put it on an outdoor grill or in an outdoor smoker and used oleander branches to prepare the beef. Then, they made the, what did you call it?”

A tangine”

It must be wonderful to be as smart as you”, Edwards replied.

Just keep studying old man”, said Wallace as he buttered a

72.

piece of Italian bread. He then dunked one end of the bread in his coffee and took a bite”.

You might be intelligent, but at times you have the table manners of a slob. And, who has the doctorate degree?” Edwards remarked.

That comes from all the years in the radio car on patrol. You eat when you can where and what you can. It creates bad manners along with gall stones. Speaking of food, what are you going to have?”

Spaghetti and meatballs”.

You could have had that at home”.

If you don't mind, I'm in the mood for Spaghetti and meatballs. What are you having, hot shot?”

Veal Parmesan”.

With spaghetti?”

Yep'.

Big deal, same thing as I'm having only with a different meat”.

True, only more expensive, and since you're picking up the tab I thought I'd splurge”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

73.

 

 

 

Chapter Ten

 

Robert Wallace stood looking through the large, plate glass window of his office. He gazed down on the roof tops of smaller buildings adjacent to City Hall and Police Headquarters, seeing old, bent television antennas, along with pigeon and seagull shit. As he did he listened intently to Carol Myers as she gave her verbal report. “I more or less window shopped in the gift store for about a half an hour. I was looking at the leather pocketbooks. Most of them were in the fifty to eighty dollar range. All of them were advertised as being made in Morocco, but none of them were like the shoulder bag in the photograph.”

What other kind of merchandise did they have?”, asked Wallace.

"Rugs, scarfs, wooden things, like bowls, pencil boxes, Moroccan cook books and flowers, lots of flowers, some fresh cut, but mostly dried flowers."

"That's unusual", mentioned Wallace.

"I thought so too, so I asked the woman who not only runs the store, but is one of the owners, Amina Hamidi. She told me that many Moroccan recipes use dry flowers. The flowers act as a spice. I was able to engage her in a long conversation and she told me that rose buds are used as a spice in what she called, keftu which are actually rose petal meatballs As a result of talking with her I learned that she and her husband, Jabar El Hamidi are from north Morocco. Both of them grew flowers and sold them in the Kasbah of Tangiers. She was the one that dried the flower petals, spreading them out on the flat roof top of her apartment.

She said that major market was to the perfume and soap makers. They used the flowers to scent their product. According to her, the main ingredient they wanted was rose petals. Mr. Hamidi grew calendula, chamomile, jasmine, roses, gladiolas and poppies".

"Ahh, poppies, interesting, go ahead", said Wallace interrupting officer Myers.

74. "Any way, the husband runs the restaurant and bar. He also brings in the entertainment".

Did she mention how long the Kasbah Club has been in business or why they picked the woods for the place to build their business?”, asked Wallace.

No sir. She didn't say and I didn't ask. I didn't want to tip my hand by asking too many personal questions', Myers answered.

Anything else?”, asked the Captain.

Well, she did mention that Mr. Hamidi grows many of the flowers that they sell in the land behind the club.”.

Smart, did she mention squash blossoms?”.

No sir”.

Did you see any?”

No, but I did find one thing unusual”, mentioned Myers.

And what was that?”

They do a heck of a take out business”.

So I've heard, but you don't know what the take out is, do you?”

No, but I think they also deliver. They were so busy a young woman was bagging the take out orders and a guy was taking care of the delivery orders.”

That's odd. I don't know of too many Mediterranean Restaurants that deliver”, said Wallace.

Or put handfuls of flower petals in the packages”, said Myers.

I take it you saw them do that. OK. Nice job Myers. Did you buy anything?'.

Yes sir, a wooden pencil cup. I told them it was for my boyfriend”, said Myers pointing at McKenna.

Now, put everything you just told me on paper in an official report, including anything you might have forgot and any receipts.”

The cup cost twenty eight dollars”, said Myers.

Turning his attention to Mckenna, Wallace asked, “What do you have?”

Well, you have the list of license plate numbers. That part was easy. The hard part was coming up with a story when I asked for a receipt when I paid for our dinner. A guy gave me a funny look and asked me why I needed it. Fortunately I remembered that I had a couple of old business cards in my wallet, so I presented one and told him I needed a write off”.

What business were you in?”, asked Wallace.

Awnings and canvas floors”.

And the guy bought your story?”, asked Stiles.

75. “I guess so. Here's the receipt. Dinner and drinks came to seventy three dollars and thirty eight cents”.

How is the food?”, asked Wallace.

Good, so are the drinks. The show wasn't too bad. The opening dancers were a little older and one was chunky fat, but the star attraction, Isis, was really good”.

I told him to watch the movement of the dancers hands and arms and not just her hips and lower torso, but he didn't listen”, said Myers

Anything else?”, asked Wallace.

Yes sir. I had to take a leak so I went to the men's room. When I was washing my hands a guy came in, used the urinal then turned his head and asked me, “How good is the smack here?”

I told him I didn't know and that I was only interest in grass. As the guy zipped up his fly he said, “ They say the hash here is exceptional. A little high priced, but good stuff”.

Well, we figured the place was dealing drugs. You just confirmed it. OK. Write and submit your report”, said Wallace.

I'll start running the registration numbers Cap”, said Stiles”.

Good, look for some of our locals”, Wallace replied.

He picked up the pencil cup and held it up to his nose smelling the aroma of the Thuya wood. As he did Lieutenant O'Neil walked into the office. “What the hell are you doing?”, he asked.

Smelling this pencil cup.”

They have always said that you have unorthodox methods when it came to investigating, but smelling wood is something I never thought I'd see you do”.

This cup is made of Thuya wood. The tree only grows in Morocco. Since there is a Moroccan connection to the homicides I'm investigating I have to make sure this item is the real thing”.

And, is it?”

Yep. Not only is it real but it was made by skilled craftsmen”.

Yeah on a lathe in some guys garage”.

Nope, it seems that anything made from Thuya wood is protected by the Moroccan government since it is a staple of the economy. The tree only grows in the Atlas mountains of Morocco and the roots of the tree are selected by the craftsmen and turned into wood products. This little cup probably took over a year to make from the taking of the root wood, the carving and mostly the finishing. The finish is applied by hand rubbing and takes a lot of time to acquire the desired coating”.

76. “Are you making any progress in the Kerr homicide?”, asked O'Neil.

Some. I'll tell you this, narcotics are involved. If I'm right there's a local rich kid involved and probably some others you and I might know. Frank's running license plate numbers right now. If we come up with a name and the person's dirty, I'll turn them over to you. If that happens I'll want you to lean on them hard”.

No problem, just tell what you want to know”, said O'Neil.

Good, we might know something after lunch. Right now I've got to report to the Chief”, said Wally.

It was one forty five in the afternoon when Frank Stiles carried a list of New Jersey automobile license plate numbers into Captain Wallace's office.

Here's the list Cap. I only recognize one guy from Nautilus beach, Eddie Sloan”.

Eddie, “The Dip”, son of a bitch. He's been a user for years. It's a wonder he hasn't taken an over dose. Last time I heard of him he was running numbers for Joe Jacoby”.

With a nick name the Dip, I'd assume he was a pick pocket”, said Stiles.

Wallace laughed. “Actually, Eddie has been a pain in the ass most of his life. He was a juvenile delinquent and when he was in high school he got caught smoking so many times and suspended that he began using chewing tobacco and snuff. That's when he acquired the name, The Dip”.

What's he hooked on?”, asked Stiles.

Heroin, the last I heard. OK. Go see Lieutenant O'Neil ask him to pick up Eddie. Tell Bill I'll be over to see him before he interrogates Sloan”.

Yes Sir”.

Wallace picked up the short list of license numbers and read them.

When he came to Edward Sloan, he wrote down the man's address, make and model automobile and noticed that “The Dip” owned a 1972 Chevrolet Nova. “The Dip must be doing something other than running numbers. An errand boy for Jacoby doesn't earn that much”. Wallace thought to himself. As he continued to read he stopped when he came to the name, Emma Prescott. Getting up from the desk he checked the name with the address he had in the Kerr file. “Son of a bitch”, he said aloud, seeing that it was the same young woman he had interviewed. He placed the list of tag numbers in the file and put it back into the filing cabinet. He then headed for Bill O'Neil's office.

Bill O'Neil looked up to see Wallace entering his office. “How in the hell are you going to operate without a cup of coffee and a cigarette?”, he asked.

77. “It will be difficult, but I'll struggle through it”, Wallace answered.

OK. What's the program?”, asked O'Neil.

My investigation has taken me to Cape May County, a place called Greenfield. There, back in the woods is a Mediterranean supper club and gift shop called the Kasbah. I put two undercover officers in there. They reported what they believe is drug activity.”.

Not my problem”, said O'Neil.

No shit? Will you just sit back and listen?. Tom Mckenna got a list of New Jersey cars parked in the lot. We made a hit on two of those automobiles. One came back to Eddie “The Dip” Sloan. I want you to pick him up, bring him in and question him. In a round about way I want to know what he can tell us about a guy named Philip Spencer. Spencer works at the club. Supposedly, he's the bouncer. I want to know if he's involved in drugs, either as a user or dealer”.

Anything else?”, asked O'Neil.

Yeah, the second hit was on the car owned by Emma Prescott. She has been reported to have dated the Spencer kid. Here's the best part. I brought her in for questioning in reference to the Kerr homicide. She maintained that she was in Spain at the time of Elizabeth Kerr's death.'

Was she?”, asked O'Neil.

I thought so, but you can bet, I'll be checking. Anyway, see if “The Dip” knows anything about a connection between Spencer and Emma Prescott”.

That's easy, but you know if Eddie knows anything about this Kasbah place and the people you've mentioned,, he'll blow the whistle on your investigation”, said O'Neil.

If “The Dip” runs his mouth to you like I think he will, then it won't matter”. Wallace answered.

Alright, by now he's picked up all the slips. We'll take him on the street tomorrow morning when he's carrying. That way I have a charge and reason to hold him. Is he still using?”

As far as I know, supposedly, horse”.

If that's true we can break him by watching him go through withdrawals. He'll talk when it gets too bad”.

Wallace went back to his office and sat down at his desk. Opening a drawer he removed a red leather covered address book and looked up the telephone number of Herbert Watkins, investigator, U.S. Immigration And Customs Enforcement. He dialed the number then spoke to three different operators until he finally was connected to Watkins line. “Herb? Robert Wallace. How the hell are you. It's been a couple of years since I last spoke to you”, said Wallace.

Hello Bob. Yes, it's been awhile. Why are you calling?”, Watkins

78.

asked.

I need some information on a Moroccan couple living here in New Jersey. Right now they might be involved in two homicides and at the same time active in drugs”.

What are names and do you have an address?”

The name of the woman is Amina Hamidi. The man is Jabar El Hamidi. They both own a supper club called the Kasbah in a place known as Greenfield, New Jersey”.

Wallace noticed that there was a long pause before Watkins answered. “Unfortunately this is an open, on going investigation by us, so I can't talk over the telephone. What I can do is invite you to come here to Washington. That way we can talk”.

No can do Herb. I'm up to my ass in two homicide investigations. I'm expecting to do an interrogation tomorrow that may shine some light on this matter``.

Let me put you on hold. Don't hang up”, said Watkins.

Wallace listened to what is referred to as elevator music as he waited for Watkins to come back on line. Finally, after ten minutes the Immigration agent said, “Bob, here's what I can do. I can fax what we have to our Philadelphia Office. One of their agents will drive down to see you. He'll brief you on what we think you should know. At the same time, remember this is a two way street. We will want to know what you have on the Hamidi's in relation to your homicide investigation”.

That sounds like a deal, except for the part that you'll tell me what your guy thinks I should know. Tell you what, suppose I take the same position? I'll tell your boy only what I think he should know. How is that going across Herb?”

I see that you're still a hardheaded bastard. Tell you what, let's play it by ear and see how it goes”.

I can do that. Thanks Herb. Goodby “.

 

At ten forty five in the morning of the next day Captain Wallace sat in the small area next to the interrogation room of the Nautilus Beach Police Department. There was no two way mirror where he could observe O'Neil and the questioning of Eddie Sloan, but since a listening device had been installed he would be able to hear the conversation. Wallace turned on the receiver then sat back and waited for O'Neil to begin. There was a movement of chairs as people sat down, then a voice.

Well Eddie, here you are again. This is becoming a habit with you.

79.

If it isn't larceny where you steal something to hock, then it's an assault and battery where you go off half cocked and punch somebody out. If not that, then it's you using the shit. Now, we got you carrying number slips and horse bets”, said O'Neil.

You're making a mistake. That stuff is not mine. I found all of it in the boardwalk comfort station. In fact, I was going to turn it over to the first cop I saw”, said Sloan.

What boardwalk comfort station? What street?”

Maryland Ave”.

Bullshit!... That one has been closed for over a year. Kids busted the urinals and toilets”, said O'Neil.

Well, maybe it was the one near Kentucky”.

Yeah, yeah, roll up your sleeve”.

For what?”, asked Sloan.

I want to see your tattoos. For what? You know damn well for what. I want to see when was the last time you shot up”.

Not me Bill...I don't use the stuff, honest”.

Roll up your sleeve”.

There was a moment of silence. Wallace could visualize Eddie The Dip unbuttoning his shirt sleeve and rolling it up exposing his bare arm. When he did then Bill O'Neil would look for fresh needle marks which would indicate that Sloan had used a hypodermic needle probably injecting heroin into his system.

Don't use the stuff huh? What the hell is that?”, asked O'Neil.

That's from when I gave blood”, said Sloan.

Oh good. It's nice to know that you are a concerned citizen and do your part helping the blood drive. Now, let's stop the bullshit and move on to another topic. What can you tell me about the Kerr girls murder?”

Nothing. I don't know her and I only read about her death in the newspaper.”

How about any of her friends, say a girl friend?”

Nope. I told you I don't know anything about the Kerr girl'.

Have you ever heard the name, Emma Prescott?”, asked O'Neil.

Again there was a moment of silence. Then, O'Neil spoke again.

Have you ever heard the name, Emma Prescott?”

No”

Let's try this one. Phillip Spencer ?”

Don't know him'.

Alright Eddie. Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to put your ass in a cell all by yourself. No bail, no telephone calls, no visitors, no lawyer and

80.

certainly no doctor. Guess what you'll do Eddie. You're going to go through withdrawals. You're going to have muscle aches, your eyes will water and the sweats will come followed by stomach cramps. Then the diarrhea will come at you fast and often. You're going to shit your pants Eddie, but that won't bother you because by that time you'll be sick to your stomach, so sick that all you will do is vomit. OK Eddie, I see that we're not getting anywhere in our conversation. I'll have you moved to the jail now”.

I have the right to bail and an attorney and you know it'.

Yeah I know it. But, the law doesn't say how soon you are to get it. Hell, I'm betting your case won't go to court in say, two or three days. Same with the telephone call, visitors and lawyer. OK. Guys take him away”.

Wait a minute!. I just remembered a couple of those names”, said Eddie.

Which names?”

Spencer. Yeah Phillip Spencer”.

What about him?”

He's a bouncer at an Arab restaurant”.

What's the name of this restaurant?”

The Kasbah?”

I've never heard of it”.

It's back in the woods in Greenfield”

Never heard of Greenfield either. Let's stay with Phillip Spencer”.

What do you want to know?”

Is he on the shit?”

He uses hash oil”.

Hash oil? That's pretty potent stuff. Where's he getting it from?”

I don't know, but I know he uses it, because he tried to sell me some. He's selling it at a hundred a gram”/

Then he's a pusher, a dealer?”

Nothing big. He's small time. He wants to people to think that he's important. I think he has a few customers, but he's smart. They don't come to him in person. They call or send for the stuff and he delivers.”

And, he's dealing out of the Kasbah?”, asked O'Neil

Yeah'.

What about the Prescott girl?”

She is supposed to be Spencer's girl friend, but I've never seen them together.'

How about Elizabeth Kerr”?

81. “At the time it was reported that she had been murdered I learned that she had been a frequent visitor to the Kasbah. She traveled with two girlfriends, Emma Prescott and a girl named Gloria Esposito. The Kerr girl and Esposito were using the shit”.

How bad were they hooked?”

As far as I know, not too bad. I heard that the Prescott girl introduced both of them to heroin. Esposito was a pretty good belly dancer. I saw her perform one time”.

How about the Kerr girl? Did she dance?”

I don't know”.

What can you tell us about the owners?”

Owners of what?”

The Kasbah”.

Only that they're a couple of A-rabs”.

Eddie, Eddie, now you're insulting my intelligence. You're using the shit and you can buy it here on the street, but we find you in a place called Greenfield. This is the place where you just told us that drugs are going down. Yet, you don't know anything about the owners”.

I swear . I don't know anything about them”.

Then who are you buying the horse from?”

Spencer”.

So Spencer's dealing both horse and grass?”

Yeah”.

OK. That's all I want to know for now”.

Then I can go?”

You can go right to your cell”.

Hey I co-operated. I told you what you wanted to know”.

And here's what I'm willing to do Eddie. I'll let you get bail, contact your lawyer and for good measure I won't call your probation officer and tell him that you're still using. However, we caught you with gambling receipts. See you in court Eddie”.

After Eddie Sloan was taken down to the city jail Wallace left the anteroom and entered the interrogation room. “Nice job Bill”, he said.

Did he give you anything worth while?”, asked O'Neil

Oh Yeah. Actually he blew the whistle on the Spencer kid and gave me another reason to talk to the Prescott girl again”.

Unfortunately I couldn't squeeze anything out of him about the owners of the place”.

It doesn't matter. Immigration agents are coming down from Philly

82.

tomorrow to see what I have in the Kerr case. While they're picking my brain I’ll be picking theirs. I should know something about the owners of the Kasbah”.

What about the State Police?”, asked O'Neil.

What about them? They'll be notified, but only after I wrap things up”. Wallace responded.

OK. Drugs in Cape May County are not my problem.”

Or Mine, but those involved in pushing the shit right now are suspects in a couple of homicides”.

Wallace walked back to his office. When he got there he went to the filing cabinet and took out the Kerr case folder. Carrying to his desk he put it down then took a seat and opened the folder. Moving sheet after sheet of paper he stopped when he found the report he was looking for. The report he had submitted in reference to the Emma Prescott interview. He read and re-read the report going over the questions he had asked and the answers Emma Prescott gave. He reached for a pencil and after the word Spain he made a question mark. After the question presented to Miss Prescott on Elizabeth Kerr's use of heroin he wrote the word,.

After the question about her knowledge of a woman named Gloria, he again wrote the word, lie. And, after the question about her knowledge of flower petals, he wrote “lie”. He reached for the phone, dialed a number and when Stiles answered, said, “Frank, send Tom in here”.

When Mckenna entered the office Wallace said, “I want you to go out to the local airport. Check all the flights from here to New York or Philadelphia airports. I want to know if an Emma Prescott flew from here to Spain, returning during the month of December last year”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

83.

 

 

 

 

Chapter Eleven

Frank Stiles entered Captain Wallace's office. With him was a man attired in a dark blue suit, white shirt and a light blue necktie."Captain, this is George Fillmore, from Immigration", said Frank.

Wallace got up out of his chair, walked to the man and offered his hand. "Bob Wallace, nice to meet you. have a seat. I’ve been expecting you'.

Fillmore sat down then opened the brief case he had carried. "It is my understanding that you want information on Amina and Jabar el Himidi", he said.

"Correct, and the deal is I give you information of their involvement in a double homicide", Wallace responded.

"Fine, what can you tell me about the homicides"?

"As the little boy said to the little girl, you show me yours and I'll show you mine", Wallace replied.

"I see, you're laying your cards out on the table", said Fillmore.

"Could be. what do you have?"

" The Himidi's were born near Tangiers, Morocco. Jabar actually was born and raised in the Rif Mountains. His father was a Berber farmer. Most Berber farmers grow marijuana. It's not legal in Morocco but the government turns a blind eye since it aids the economy. Jabar became a farmer, but his expertise was and is in the production of hashish. He is very skilled in the saving of the buds and the creation of the hashish cakes or bricks. It is said that his hash was of the best in that area. Amina was born and raised just outside the city of Tangiers. Her family were Berber farmers, but instead of marijuana they grew flowers, in particular, roses. When she was ten years old she sold fresh and dry flowers in the market place outside of the Kasbah in Tangiers. We think their marriage in nineteen forty two was arranged.

In nineteen forty two the United States Army invaded Morocco in "Operation Brushwood". They captured Port Lyautey and Casablanca'. During the American occupation Jabar grew flowers along side Amina's family instead of marijuana. we understand he is very adapt to growing roses with very large buds and blooms. In nineteen forty seven they emigrated to the United States, landing in New York. They stayed with distant relatives of Jabar's for about five to six months.

84.

Somehow, they acquired jobs with a Miami based flower farm. Both started out working in the fields, however, Amina's expertise with dry flowers got her out of the fields and a promotion. About a year later Jabar became a foreman and oversaw the growing operation. When South America raised its prices on flower exports he was sent to Mexico to see what could be purchased and the quality. When he came back from Mexico his company had a real nice contract with three Mexican flower farms. Our information is that he began making several trips a year to Mexico. On business of course. We think that somewhere along the way he made contact with the Mexican drug cartel.

He and his wife left Miami and came here to Southern New Jersey. He purchased land in Cape May County where he built and operates the Kasbah restaurant and gift shop. We figure he made his money smuggling marijuana and heroin into the United States. the question is how does he do it?"

"I can see why he went from growing marijuana to roses during the occupation but why roses?", Wallace asked.

"Many European companies as well as North African countries buy rose petals for scenting their soaps and oils and they use it as a spice", said Fillmore.

"And, you have no idea where he's getting drugs?"

"No...Not at this time".

" What about Mexico? Where did he get the cash to set up in New Jersey?", asked Wallace..

"We believe it came from the cartel".

"No doubt, but is it a gift, payment or loan?"

We think it was a payment. We have a watch on their bank account. All transactions appear to be legitimate. Nonetheless, if there was a payment we don't know what it was for?”

Have either one of the Hamidi's traveled to Mexico since they began doing business in New Jersey?', asked Wallace.

No”.

If I had to bet, I'd bet that he's getting his supply from the Mexicans. Alright, here's what we have. Two women were murdered. We think they were given the same poison, neriin. Neriin comes from the oleander bush and is deadly poisonous. Right now we know one woman ingested the Neriin by eating a salad. At present we're checking on our belief that the second woman was killed by eating a Moroccan stew after the meat was smoked using oleander wood.

Both women spent time at the Kasbah. One was a professional belly dancer, the other wanted to take lessons. Both victims were heroin users. We do know that drugs are going down at the Kasbah, heroin and we think marijuana.

85.

Personally, I think the young women were being used as delivery girls. In both woman’s cars we found dry flower petals. I had an undercover officer witness restaurant take out being packed with dry flowers. Our information that hash oil has shown and right now that it's used by one user”, said Wallace.

How close are you to making an arrest?”, asked Fillmore.

Not as close as I want to be. I have a few loose ends right now”.

I can't think of anything else to ask you. If you come across anything that we'd be interested in give me a call, here's my card”.

Thank you. So now I deal with you and the Philadelphia office, right?

Right”

After Fillmore left, Wallace sat in silence thinking and re-thinking what he knew about the homicides and what he still didn't know. His thoughts were interrupted by the ringing telephone. He answered with, “Major Crime Squad, Captain Wallace”.

Hello, my name is Jane Chambers. I'm afraid that you have forgot all about me since I haven't heard from you in two days”.

No one in his right mind would deliberately forget someone as lovely as you. How are you?”

Busy, lonely, maybe a little sad since you haven't called.”

Sorry. This case is moving along at a fast pace”.

And. Let me guess, you didn't have time to pick up a telephone and call”.

That's right, I'm sorry”.

When will I see you?”

What day is it?”, asked Wally.

Thursday”.

How about dinner tomorrow night?”

Where? The Glass Menagerie?”

No. someplace else”.

Too expensive?”

No, I just don't want to ware out my welcome. I'll explain it to you later'.

Then where?”

Do you like Mediterranean?”

I've never had it”.

Neither have I, but I want to try it”.

I don't know of any Mid-east restaurants around here”, said Jane.

86. “There aren't any. We'll drive up to the Cherry Hill area”.

Fine, but I want the same deal as the last dinner”.

And what was that?”

No mention of your investigation or any police work”.

Pick you up after six”.

I'll be ready.”

After hanging up the telephone, Wallace leaned back in the high back leather chair. Closed his eyes and allowed his mind go over and over the case. To him, it seemed that if he knew where or who was supplying marijuana and heroin

to the Hamidi's there would be a connection to the murder's. Mexico and Mexicans appeared to be the source, but right now he had met a stone wall.

************************************

 

Jane took a long look at Robert as she sat across from him at a table in the Marrakesh Club as he studied the menu. “See anything you might like?”, she asked.

Not yet. I'm still looking”.

I must say, you're awful quiet this evening”.

Wallace looked up from the menu and said, “Really?”

Is there something on your mind?”, she asked.

I hope so, other wise I'd be brain dead”.

You know what I mean.”

You asked me not to mention my investigation”.

I thought that was what's bothering you”.

Actually, it's no bother at all.

Well, if you want to talk about it, go ahead. I'd rather listen to you talk about the murders then having you sit with a gloomy, long face”.

Are you ready to order yet?”, asked Wallace, changing the subject.

I guess so. As a first time patron at a Moroccan restaurant everything on the menu is a challenge. I think I'll have the grilled shrimp salad to start off with then I think I'll try the crab stuffed zucchini blossoms . What are you having?”

Probably the tabouly and the kafta”.

Are you having the kafta wrapped in grape leaves or on the skewer”.

The skewer”.

Jane sipped her cocktail then said, When does the entertainment start?

Probably after everyone is either finished or nearly finished eating. Entertainers do not like to perform to the sound of clinking dishes”.

The guitar player is good”.

87. “Yeah, I think when the dancer comes out, there will be a small orchestra”.

Didn't you say that Gloria Esposito was a belly dancer?”

Yes”.

Is that why you chose a Moroccan restaurant?”

To tell you the truth, I’m hoping that something will come to me that will open a door that takes me where I want to go. It might be the food, the music or the dance. I don't know, maybe nothing will hit me. At the same time I get a new dining experience”.

I knew it had to be something to do with police work”.

True, but at the same time I get to be with you. Now, here comes our salads”.

Robert and Jane were just finishing their meal when the musicians took their places on the small stage. The lights in the dining room dimmed and they began to play. With the beat of the darbuka's and the sound of the accordion the headliner belly dancer, “Aisha” came on to the dance floor. She was dressed in a silver dance costume which consisted of a skimpy lace top, skirt and hip scarf. . The young woman was graceful. She moved her hands in a manner similar to that of a hula dancer, but instead of telling a story the hands moved in time to the music.. Occasionally, she moved her hips, but her movements although sensual were not profane. The hip motions were just part of the dance, nothing more. At the end of the set, Aisha, after leaving the dance floor returned three times to the applause of he audience.

Wallace swung onto the Expressway which at close to ten o'clock in the evening had little traffic. He fought the urge to light a cigarette, which were the remains of a habit he had when driving. Looking over at Jane he said, “Now who is the one that is quiet?”

She smiled and answered, “I was just thinking what a lovely evening this has been. We had good entertainment, and a nice meal”.

Are you sure you enjoyed dinner?”, he asked.

Oh yes, the crab was wonderful. Can you imagine anyone taking the time to stuff zucchini blossoms?”

Son of a bitch! That's it! Lady I could kiss you right now, except I'm driving”.

What are you talking about?'

I'm talking about how the drugs at the Kasbah are being sent and received. They're using flower blossoms. Do you know how much heroin can be packed inside a squash or pumpkin blossom?'

No”, she answered.

88. “Enough for any junkie to get a couple of hits”.

Really?”

Yep, and I'd bet anything that the Hamidi's are importing the drugs from Mexico the same way.”

What are you going to do?”

In order to be sure I first have to contact someone, someone who can tell me if my idea is possible, or far fetched”.

Stop the car!”, she said.

Something wrong?”

Stop the car”.

Wallace pulled to the shoulder of the road and stopped.”What's wrong?”

Nothing, you said you could kiss me and I'm taking you up on it”

Wallace smiled and took her in his arms.

He spent the weekend pacing the floor, stopping to write and re-write ideas and theories in reference to the drug smuggling and sales taking place at the Kasbah restaurant. After writing he would stand and pace the floor again only to return to the desk where he would pick up the written notes, tear them up and sit down to write again. He only took a break when Jane arrived and insisted that since he enjoyed walking the beach in the winter he should show her what was so special about doing it,

Together, they walked along the cold wet sand down near the water. A cold breeze blew and the February sky was a slate gray. Although the winter wind caused her eyes to water and from time to time she placed her wool gloved hands to her face in order to warm her cheeks she made herself walk with him, pretending that like he, she was enjoying the walk. She knew that this walk was necessary, needed to take his mind off of the murders if for only an hour or two and to occupy his mind she conversed with him, telling him about her days in college, life in Tom's River, how she almost went into nursing. She spoke about little things, television shows she has watched, t.v. actors, comedians and as she walked she hoped that he would stop, turn around and say, “Let's go back”. Finally, he did, but after stopping he took her in his arms and said, “Miss Chambers, I love you”.

You'd better Mr. Wallace, I'm freezing”.

Monday finally came and Robert Wallace waited for the elevator doors to open. When they did he walked briskly to his office, carrying the traditional white bag containing coffee and donuts. He removed his winter coat and placed it on the clothes tree. As he walked to his desk he looked at the large clock on the wall and saw that it was only five after eight in the morning. “You can bet that Andy isn't in this early. I'll have to wait until nine”, he thought to himself. He reached for a cup of

89.

coffee in the bag, lifted the lid, mixed in two paper packs of sugar and a creamer, stirred the liquid with a plastic spoon and then lifted the cup to his lips and took a sip. Frank Stiles entered the office and Wallace pointed to the bag. “Thanks Cap”, said the detective as he removed a cup from the bag. Stiles took his coffee black.

Five minutes later Tom McKenna came in, again Wallace pointed to the bag. “No thanks Cap, I had a big breakfast”, said McKenna.

As he chewed a donut Stiles stopped long enough to wipe his mouth with a paper napkin. “Anything new?”, he asked.

I sure as hell hope so. I have a theory and if I'm right it just might lead us to who kill the Kerr girl and Gloria Esposito”.

What's your theory?”, asked McKenna.

Didn't I give you an assignment on the Prescott girl?”, asked Wallace changing the subject.

Yes sir”

And?”

I should have an answer sometime this morning”.

Well with your answer and hopefully my answer we might be on our way to solving this case. Meanwhile both of you hit the street. You know who your informants are. Talk to those who are junkies, see what you can find on Phillip Spencer”.

After the two detectives left Wallace dialed Bill O'Neil's office telephone. When the lieutenant answered, Wallace said, “Bill, I'm going to call a contact of mine in Interpol. The conversation will probably be about narcotics and I'm sure that whatever he tells me will be of interest you as well as me. If you want to sit in and listen come on over”.

How soon are you making the call?”, asked O'Neil.

Wallace glanced at the clock on the wall.”In abut a half an hour”.

Then I got time to get a cup of coffee and get back. Do you want one?”

Yeah, and a lemon donut. If they don't have lemon get blueberry”.

At nine thirty five in the morning Wallace spoke to the city hall telephone operator. “This is Captain Wallace. I want to make a long distance call , person to person. The name of the party is Andrew Cummings. The number in Washington, D.C. Is area code two zero two, six one six nine zero nine zero”.

As he waited Wallace sipped coffee and although tempted ignored the donut waiting to eat it after finishing his conversation with Cummings. After listening to the operator completing the call he heard Cummings voice on the line.

Robert, what's up?

Hello Andy. Glad to know that you're still with Interpol”, said Wallace.

90. “Yeah, this is the last hurrah. They stuck me behind a desk in Washington”.

I know. I heard it from Tim Kelly. Wasn't your last assignment in Europe?”

Yeah, England”

Andy, I have Lieutenant Bill O'Neil sitting here with me. He is in command of the vice squad and since I'm going to ask you a couple of questions about narcotics. Hopefully you'll have the answers and when you answer Bill and I might learn something. If you don't mind I'd like to put you on speaker phone”.

No problem, Cummings replied.

Good. OK, here we go. I'm investigating two homicides. Both victims were heroin users. At present I have three suspects, a husband and wife and a young man age about twenty two. The married couple are American citizens, but came from Morocco after World War Two. The husband is reported to be an expert on manufacturing hashish. He also grows flowers for his wife. The wife is versatile in using dry flower petals and Moroccan cuisine where the petals are used as a spice.

Together, they own a Moroccan style supper club which they built in the out of the way woods of Cape May County. Now, I'll get to the point. I believe that they are dealing heroin, marijuana, hashish, and recently hash oil. I think the heroin is stuffed into flower blossoms then boxed appearing as take out food. Here's my first question. Why would they cover the stuffed flower blossoms with flower petals?:”

It sounds to me that the type of heroin is crude, possibly black tar heroin. Black tar has a vinegar smell caused by the ingredient, acetic anhydride. They are trying to cover the odor of the heroin”, advised Cummings.

Great, that answers that question. I have information that the husband, Jabar el Himidi could possibly have contacts with the Mexican drug cartel.

I think that's where he's getting his supply. If the New Jersey operation is selling drugs concealed in flower blossoms is it possible that it's shipped to him in the same way?”

More than likely Bob. I remember a case in England where Dutch dealers in Holland moved a ton of marijuana by hiding it in shipments of tulips and daffodils. With your suspect maybe having ties to Mexico, the Mexican method is to place marijuana with stems, flowers and leaves in with roses. If your man is an expert in making hashish, then that's the way he would want to receive it. Recently, heroin dealers in South America using a front as flower merchants shipped their flowers in cardboard boxes. Those receiving the shipment remove the flowers, tear the boxes into small pieces and then with a solution turn the box into liquid heroin”.

Hey, what you're telling me backs up my theory. One more question. To your knowledge is anyone, South America or Mexico shipping hash oil?”,

91.

asked Wallace.

No. Hash oil is usually made or manufactured on site and sold in the immediate area of the site. Which one of your suspects is using hash oil?”

The young American”.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark. Hash oil is not a hot ticket item in Morocco, so I don't think your man Himidi is manufacturing BHO”.

What's BHO?”, asked Wallace

Oh, I'm sorry. BHO stands for butane hash oil or butane honey oil,” Cummings answered.

They use honey?”

No. What happens is they take a long glass tube and pack it with

marijuana. Then they pour liquid butane into the tube and it flows slowly over the weed. When the solution comes out of the end of the tube it is the color of honey.

Next, they have a bowl of very hot water. The container holding the solution is placed over the bowl of hot water and it more or less crystallizes. When it cools it turns to the color of dark motor oil. The user then uses a dabber. He inserts the end of the dab into the oil, places a drop in a bong, heats it with a torch, inhales and gets a supposedly high greater than smoking in the general way”.

Then your explanation and description points to the young man supposedly hired as the bouncer”, said Wallace.

Well, who ever it is probably introduced a new way to make and sell marijuana to the Moroccan couple. In all probability he has joined the operation as some kind of partner. If I were you, I'd start checking for companies filling large orders of butane to him and also his bank account”, Suggested Cummings.

I'll do that Andy. Thanks for your help. Your information confirms a lot in our investigation. Now I need to figure out how the flowers are arriving and you can bet it's not by UPS or Federal Express. You know if you need anything down here on our end all you have to do is yell.”

Hey, you take are...Good by”.

Hanging up the telephone Wallace turned to O'Neil. “Well, did you learn anything?”

Hell yeah”.

So did I”. Wallace then dialed the number for the outer office.

Major Crime Squad, Detective Mckenna”.

I thought I sent you out on the street looking for information?”, said Wallace.

Right now all of my informants are in bed Cap”.

Alright, is Myers there?”

92. “Yes sir”.

Then both of you come in here”.

On the way”.

Both young detectives walked into Captain Wallace's office and stood in front of his desk looking at him. Wallace looked up at the two and said, “Time to make yourselves useful. Tom, I want you to find every butane supplier in New Jersey. Make a list and list them alphabetically. Carol, find me a map of New Jersey, one that I can write and draw on”.

How about suppliers in Philadelphia Cap? Philly is closer than North Jersey”, said McKenna.

Good thinking, list Philly suppliers also”.

Yes sir”.

Twenty five minutes later Officer Myers handed Captain Wallace a folded map. He looked at it and read, “Map of New Jersey showing Delaware and Parts of Pennsylvania”. He then unfolded the map and spread it out on top of his desk. Running his forefinger over the delineation he stopped when he got to the words, “Reeds Beach”. He then looked at what was designated as “U.S.95” and following the red line with his eyes until he came to the words , Delaware Memorial Bridge. Looking up at Myers he said. “That's too damn far. Too many weighing stations, and highway patrols. Let's look again. They say the shortest distance is in a straight line.”. He returned to the words, Reeds Beach and held his finger there as his eyes scanned the map. “Wallace, you dumb ass! It's as plain as the nose on your face.

You wanted to know why Himidi built out in the woods near Reeds beach? Well here's your answer, the Cape May, Lews Delaware Ferry. The flowers come up from either Florida or Texas. As soon as they can the drivers get off of the main highway and use the old routes like U.S. 1. In the case of delivery to the Kasbah they pull their tractor and trailer on to the ferry, float across Delaware Bay and enter Cape May County. In less than an hour they unload in Greenfield at the supper club”.

Looking up from the map and at Carol Myers Wallace said. “Go back to your desk and get the telephone number for Cape May Court House. Then, call the number and ask for the trash collection schedule for Greenfield. Let me know what they tell you”.

Yes sir”.

Just as Detective Myers was leaving the office the telephone on the Captain's desk rang. Wallace answered, “Major Crime Squad, Captain Wallace”.

Robert?, Manny here”.

Doc?, kind of early for you to call. What's on your mind?”

I'm calling from the University of Pennsylvania”.

What the hell are you doing there?”

93. “I had my friend run a test on samples I took from the Esposito girl. The samples were subject to the Abott TDX Analyzer. Guess what? I was right. We found neriin”.

That's nice. I hope your friend doesn’t mind testifying in court”.

He doesn't mind. I advised him of that possibility before he ran the test”.

Well, thank him for me and doc?”

What?”

Thank you “.

After hanging up the phone, Wallace made written notes and placed them in the file. As he did Carol Myers came back into the office. “Captain? I called Cape May Court House. There is no trash or garbage pick up by the county in Greenfield. Residents and business people either contract with private companies, or take care of their trash themselves”.

Interesting, thanks Carol”.

You're welcome. Do you mind if I help McKenna? There are many, many butane suppliers between New Jersey and Philadelphia”.

Actually, you can tell him to stop looking. I have something else in mind. When you go back tell him I want to see him”.

Yes sir”.

Five minutes later Tom McKenna walked into the Captain's office. “You wanted to see me?” he asked.

Yeah Tom. With your visit to the Kasbah, did you happen to notice if they had dumpsters for their trash?”

No sir. I think they burn their waste material. When I was in the parking lot I smelled a mixture of garbage and smoke. Actually it reminded me of the city incinerator outside of town”.

OK. Anything on Emma Prescott?”

Yes sir. I just got off of the telephone with the security officer for Iberia Airlines. That's the last of all the airlines I checked with. None of them have a Emma Prescott flying to Spain during the past year and six months”.

Wallace wrote the information on a lined yellow tablet. “Thanks Tom. Don't make any plans for tonight and if you did change them. And, by the way wear old clothes, preferably, black. Meet me here in the office at midnight. By the way did you see or hear any watchdogs at the Kasbah?”

No sir”

Good, good”.

Near midnight, Wallace stood at his desk and opened the black, nylon back pack and examined the interior. He didn't know exactly what evidence he

94.

would find, but he was sure that he would find something. He closed the pack then tested the black, pen light. Seeing that it cast a straight, steady stream of light he shut it off, then instinctively reached into his trouser pocket making sure the extra batteries were there. He looked up to see Tom McKenna standing in the doorway. McKenna was attired completely in black.

All set”, said the young detective'.

OK, let's get going. We've got a way to go and might have to wait until well after the place closes. I'm betting that since they're closed on Sunday` that it's the day they burn their trash. If I'm right, then what I'm looking for will be there”.

What are we looking for Captain?”

Used butane canisters, shipping invoices and cardboard boxes”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

95. Chapter Twelve

 

At nine o'clock in the morning Wallace and Mckenna sat in the Captain's office drinking coffee. As they did a crime scene investigator dusted three, empty butane canisters for fingerprints. “Let me know if you find anything”, said Wallace to the technician.

Do you think those papers I found are anything we can use?”, asked McKenna.

Wallace picked up a dirty white sheet of paper and looked at it.

To me it appears to be either an invoice or a shipping slip. I forgot most of the Spanish I learned in high school, but I think the words, “Libre Transporte” mean Jack Rabbit Transport. The words, Matamoros, Tamaulipus are probably where the trucking firm is from, but we'll have it checked. Can we use it? Sure, if it's of no value to us, we'll give it to George Fillmore or Andy Cummings. Holding up another sheet of paper,, he said,”Now this baby, this piece of paper, an old invoice listing the Mexican farm, Camelite la granjo, or, “Garden Land Farms”. This baby tells us that the order was filled on January, the twenty eighth of last month. Figuring that it took three or four days to drive to Greenfield, New Jersey using U.S. One and back roads to get to Lews, Delaware, delivery should have been made on or about February second or third. That means that armed with this information any agency can maybe sit and wait for a delivery to the Kasbah during the first week of any month and if there are drugs involved make an arrest.

As he was talking Sergeant June Campo walked into the office. “Sergeant, I'm glad you're here. I want these sheets of paper and the remains of this cardboard box tested for cannabis and heroin”, he said.

No problem Captain. I just came in to see if there are any prints on the canisters”.

I got plenty Sarg”, said the technician.

Good, but which belong to employees of the manufacturer, the supplier and the last person to use them?”, asked Campo.

Hopefully there are the prints of one of my suspects”, Wallace replied.

Do we have the prints of your subject on file?”,asked Camo.

Not yet”, Wallace answered.

After the Lab technicians left the office, Wallace carefully packed the items retrieved from the Kasbah's trash pit, then typed a list of the items making sure he had the original and three copies. Looking at McKenna he said. “Tom. It's been a long night. Long, but productive. Go home get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow. Come on, I'll walk you to the elevator. I have to give this evidence to the

96.

evidence clerk, then see the Chief and tell him that we worked all night”.

At six P.M. Robert Wallace woke from a deep sleep. He looked at the alarm clock on the night stand, stretched and yawned then got up off of the bed. Walking barefoot he went to the kitchen and poured a cup of coffee that was now eight hours old. Taking the cup he moved to the kitchen table and took a seat. He hated the feeling he was having. He had always disliked night work, particularly the midnight to eight A.M. Shift. It was his opinion that the human body was made to sleep at night and any deviation from that caused stress on the human system, making it difficult to function in day light. He took a sip of the coffee and finding it now strong and bitter got up from the table and dumped the contents of the cup into the sink. He stood and watched as the dark, brown liquid flowed down the drain.

After turning off the coffee maker he walked back to the bedroom and sat again on the bed. He reached for the telephone, dialed Jane's number and waited for her to answer.

Hello?”, she said.

Hi”.

Where have you been?”

We worked all night”.

You sound tired”.

Not really. What you hear is the hangover of daytime sleep”.

I won't ask where you were or what you did”.

Good, I wouldn't tell you anyway. Do you have any plans for the weekend?”

No, why?

I want to drive up to Princeton University on Saturday. I thought maybe you would like to go along”.

After you do what you have to do there where will we go?”

I don't know. Why?”

Again, I have to know what to wear. Are we having lunch, or dinner, at the university or some place else?”

Here's what I'll do. You dress the way you want for the type of

restaurant you desire. Don't over dress because I'll be comfortable and casual”.

Thank you. The word casual gives me a clue”.

See how helpful I am”.

Speaking of eating, do you want to come over and have dinner here?”

Sounds good, what's on the menu?:”

Don't you like surprises?”

97. “Yeah. Give me time to shower, shave and get dressed and I'll be there”.

Alright, see you when you get here”.

An hour later Robert Wallace rang the bell and waited for Jane to open the door. When she did she greeted him with a large smile and a quick kiss on the lips. When he walked into the house he stopped and said, “I smell sauerkraut . I love sauerkraut. I haven't had it in a long, long time”.

We're having sauerkraut and pork with mashed potato's. I like mine with apple sauce. What about you?”

Hey, that's fine”

Good, go into the living room. Make yourself comfortable while I set the table.”

Wallace walked into the living room and instead of sitting down, he stood admiring the framed oil paintings on the wall. He studied a seascape noticing the fine detail of the sandy beach and sunlight shining down on calm ocean waves. “This seascape? Does the sunlight on the water represent sunrise, or sunset?”, he asked.

Sunrise”, she answered

Really, how do you know?”

Because I painted it. Thats Dover Beach”.

I don't believe it”.

What? That it's Dover Beach or that I painted it”.

That you painted it'.

I painted all that you see in this room. I've got a few others, but they're stored away”.

You're good enough to sell'.

I thought about it at one time. Then, I decided that I liked eating three meals a day better than a career as a painter'.

I like this one of a church”, said Wallace.

That's the Presbyterian Church in Tom's river”.

Amazing”.

Come on. It's time to eat”.

Well, if you cook as well as you paint. I'm in for a treat”.

Thanks for the compliment. Now sit down and while you're eating tell me about why you or we are going to Princeton”.

I'm going to meet with the campus police. Actually, I want information on Emma Prescott and the Thomas kid. You are going along because I've missed you all week and I want some time with you. So, you could say, I'm mixing work with pleasure”.

98. “I have a question for you”, she said.

And, it is?”

Why haven't you tried to get me into bed?”

Hell, that's obvious. How many times have I told you that I love you”.

Several times”.

Well, there's your explanation”.

Robert?”

Yes?”

Thank you”.

Now, I have a question”.

What is it?”

What's for desert?”

 

On a brisk, February, Saturday morning Robert Wallace drove his Ford sedan north on route 206 heading for Princeton, New Jersey and the university.

Jane Chambers sat beside him. Looking out of the car window. She saw the dormant farm fields, some coated with ice. Here and there the remains of melting snow could be seen on the onetime neat rows where once corn stalks grew. In the distance, white smoke rose gently from the chimney's of farm houses. Soon, the vast growth of tall, pine trees came into view as the highway touched the edge of the “Pine Barrens”.

Wallace looked over at Jane and asked, “What are you going to do while I'm meeting with campus security?”

I was thinking that I'd take a look at the Firestone Library. Who knows, I may never get here again”.

Sorry dear, entry to the library is restricted to outsiders”.

Now you tell me”.

Honey, you should have said something before we left. How about taking in the Art Museum? I'm sure there's plenty of different art works that you'd enjoy. At the same time, once I'm finished with security, i'd like to see their collections”.

Alright, once you find it, drop me off”.

Yes Mam”.

 

Wallace pulled the Ford in front of the building located at 200 Elm Drive. He got out of the car and walked into the building that housed the Campus Security. A young lady greeted him. “Good afternoon, may I help you?”, she asked.

I'm Captain Wallace of the Nautilus Beach Police Department. I'm

99.

supposed to meet with Detective Ed Mullen”, he answered.

A young man seated at a desk got up out of a chair and said, “I'm Ed Mullen Captain. Come on in and have a seat. Can I get you anything, coffee perhaps?”

Hey, you just said the magic word, but no thanks”, Wallace responded.

How was your trip up here?”, asked Mullen.

Nice, I brought the girlfriend along with me. She wanted to see the Firestone Library, but I told her it's off limits to outsiders”.

It is, but we could escort her through it”.

No matter, right now she's in the art museum”, said Wallace as he stirred his coffee.

Well Captain, if I recall our telephone conversation you were interested in the course curriculum for one, Emma Prescott, student. Here are Xerox copies of her records. I figured it would be easier to copy what you wanted rather than wait for you to subpena them with a court order”.

And, I appreciate it Ed.'

Do you mind if I ask why you are interested in Miss Prescott?”

Not at all. I'm investigating a homicide. Four young people from Nautilus Beach, all of them friends either are attending Princeton or had applied to attend Princeton in one way or another. Miss Prescott is one of the four”.

You say four, yet you have only asked for her records”.

Now, Detective Mullen would you really have enjoyed standing Xeroxing record after record? In all probability I'll be back for the records of the others. Meanwhile, I've taken enough of your time, So thanks for everything and if you're ever in my town stop in and say hello”, said Wallace as he shook hands with Detective Mullen.

Together, Jane and Robert toured the Princeton University Art Museum looking at works of art from antiquity to the contemporary period. When finished looking at paintings they admired the large collection of Roman and Greek

antiquities including, ceramics, marbles , bronzes and Roman mosaics taken by Princeton University's excavations in Antioch. By the time they got to the Medieval Europe collection they had had enough and promised each other that they would come back one day to complete the tour.

As Wallace drove off of the campus Jane asked, “Where are we going now?”

To a place I ate in several years ago when I was up here, the Peacock Inn”.

100. “I never heard of it, but knowing you it must be fine dining”.

It is”.

What's their specialty?”

It's been so long since I was there that I don't remember”.

Oh well. I'm sure that the waiter will tell us”.

Yeah and when he does you'll stick your nose up at it, read the menu and order something else”.

Am I really that difficult?”, she asked.

Not to me, just to waiters”.

Later, after parking the car Jane and Robert entered the Inn. Once inside they were shown to one of the small dining rooms that had four tables. The chairs were covered in dark maroon velvet and they were given a table next to a window with bamboo shades. A large, red brick fireplace was centered in one wall with the color of the hearth accenting the soft, gray, painted ,walls of the room. Framed oil paintings and prints hung on the other walls.

Jane sipped her usual Bloody Mary as she studied the menu while Wallace examined the long list of fare that the restaurant offered. His attention to the bill of fare was interrupted when Jane, in a low voice said, “Do you see those prices?”

He looked up over the top of the menu at her and said, “If I couldn't afford to dine here I would have taken you to McDonalds. Now, stop worrying about the price and concentrate on what you want to eat”.

Have you decided Robert?”

I settled on the duck”.

Really, I think I'll have the chicken”, Jane replied.

The waiter poured ice water from a stainless steel pitcher, filling Chrystal goblets. After finishing, he asked, “Are you ready to order?”

Yes”, to start with, I'd like the heirloom tomato salad and for the entree, the roasted organic chicken, please”,said Jane.

And you sir?”, asked the waiter.

For the appetizer, the seared sea scallop and almond puree. Then you can bring me the honey-glazed duck breast and duck con fit. However, I prefer the toasted cashew Basami rice instead of the parsnip cake. Is that possible?”,asked Wallace.

Certainly sir, no problem at all. May I bring the lady another cocktail?”

No thank you”, Jane answered.

You can bring me a cup of coffee, and a bottle of zinfandel” Robert said.

101. “Very good sir”, the waiter responded.

As they both ate their appetizer Jane asked, “Did you get what you came up here for?”

Maybe yes, maybe no. I haven't even looked at the information yet. I'll do that when I get back to the office”.

Then, I take it, you're in no hurry”.

There is no statute of limitation for the crime of murder. The mistake some investigators make is rushing to make an arrest. When they do that two things happen. They make mistakes and they overlook things, like facts and evidence. A good defense lawyer then hands them their ass in a basket. I don't like to lose in court, any court, like traffic court when I issue a ticket or criminal court when I make an arrest”.

But you do lose once in awhile, don't you dear?”

No, not me. The loser is the public. It's the public that elect and re-elect crooked politicians. It's the politicians that appoint the judges, judges they then have in their pocket.”.

Then, what you are saying is that it's never the police that are wrong”.

That's not what I'm saying at all. Police officers are human and do make mistakes and at times are wrong. What I am saying is that it's the public that break the law and when the individual is arrested it's the rest of the public that cries for leniency. Take for instance a rapist-murderer who is convicted and sentenced to death. What happens? The public petitions for the guy not to be put to death and they hold vigils outside of the prison. These same do gooders never gave a thought to

sympathizing with the victims family or attend the funeral”.

Oh, I can see that I opened a can of worms. Let me change the subject. You said you ate here some time ago. Why were you in Princeton then?

Doc Edwards and I came up to watch Princeton and University of Penn play football”.

Who won?”

You know? I can't remember”.

Remind me not to give you the opportunity to stand on a soap box again.”

Wallace laughed. “Sorry dear. There are times when I get carried away. Do you want dessert?”

Goodness no”.

Alright, as soon as I get the check we can go”.

Jane picked up the wine bottle from the table and made sure that the cap was on tight.

102. “What are you doing?”, asked Robert.

How much did this bottle of wine cost you?”, she asked.

I don't know, eight or ten dollars”.

And we each had a glass. You know that they will take this half filled bottle back to the bar and use it to sell to patrons who only want a glass of wine”.

So what, leave it”.

No indeed, if you don't want it, I do. Besides the next time you come to dinner at my house I can serve you a glass of white zinfandel”, she said.

 

George Fillmore sat intently listening to Robert Wallace as the police captain gave information to the immigration Officer in reference to the Kasbah Supper Club. When Wallace was finished Fillmore said, “What you are giving us is just what we need in order to serve a warrant and make an arrest. However, things have changed. Our agency has turned over the narcotic investigation to the DEA. At this stage, we will handle the immigration and customs phase of the case”

Why?”, asked Wallace.

We're part of a drug enforcement task force and generally that's our role when it comes to enforcing the law. However, I'm sure that you and your people would be invited to join us at the scheduled time”.

No thanks. That's not my jurisdiction. As far as me working with the DEA that would only happen if I was ordered to do so. I had a bad experience with the DEA. A couple of years ago I headed the Vice Squad. We picked up a dirt bag who ran his mouth to us. The information we obtained from him was that a caravan of vehicles was to leave Nautilus Beach for a trip to a place just outside of Woodford Kentucky. One enclosed van even carried spare wheels and tires in case of breakdowns .

It seems that marijuana was growing wild there. The members of the caravan intended to pick the plants at night filing trash bags then pack the vehicles with the grass and drive to an all night laundromat and use the dryers to removed the night dew. First, we called the Kentucky State Police. We got co-operation, but the problem was the one trooper we spoke to had a patrol area of forty square miles and was too far away to be there when the harvest and transportation took place. So, we called the DEA and gave them everything we had. We were told that the DEA had enough marijuana arrests for the month and at that moment were concentrating on cocain.

So, we won't be with you if and when you make an arrest. What I would like is the location of those arrested and permission to question them in relation to our homicide investigation”.

103. “I don't see any problem with that Captain”.

Good and if there is something else you need just let us know and if I forgot something I'll call you immediately”, said Wallace as he shook hands with the agent.

After Fillmore left, Wallace, Stiles and McKenna sat in the office. they all turned to see Detective Myers enter. “Excuse me Captain, Sergeant Campo asked me to tell you that the test they ran for cannabis and heroin tested positive”.

Thank you, come on in and take a seat, don't forget, you're a member of this team”. Said Wallace.

What are you going to do with that piece of evidence? Cape May County is out of our jurisdiction and we're investigating two murders, not narcotics”, said Stiles.

You're absolutely right Frank. Although drugs are involved I could care less about them. Even though I know for a fact that latent prints were found on the butane canisters, I still have to compare them to one of our suspects. However, I could turn over the evidence to the federal agencies right now, but I'm going to wait. I want to see just how co-operative they are with us, like letting us question those they arrest”.

And, if they're not co-operative?”, asked Myers.

I'll give it to them anyway. Don't forget, we're professionals”.

 

Robert Wallace drove the unmarked police car slowly down Elm Drive on the Princeton University Campus. He had made arrangements to meet Martin Thomas and the young man had told him that he would be standing on the steps of the dormitory of Whitman College. When Wallace saw Thomas he pulled over to the curb and beeped the horn. Thomas walked down to the sidewalk, opened the automobile door and sat down on the passenger seat. “Hello Captain”, said Thomas.

Martin? I hope this is not too much of an inconvenience. I can just imagine how much of your time is spent on your studies. Still, I thought it would be better to talk to you here, on campus, in the car, away from university security. I need some information and I think that you are just the man who can give it to me”.

No problem. I do have a class in two hours, but I thought I told you what you wanted to know when we talked the last time”.

Oh, you did, but new information has been brought forward resulting in a need for additional questioning. I hope you understand”.

Yeah, I do. What do you want to know?”

Have you ever been to a place called the Kasbah?”

No. I've heard of it, but I never went there”.

Now my next question is just between you and me. I promise what

104.

ever your answer is I'll keep it confidential”.

Shoot”.

Are you using drugs, or have you ever used drugs?”

When I was a sophomore in high school I tried a joint at a party. Nothing happened. I didn't get high and it made me sick to my stomach. I haven't touched it or anything else since”.

Good, that gets that subject out of the way. Now the last time we talked you told me all about the night Elizabeth died”, said Wallace as he pulled away from the curb. “I think it's best that we talk as I drive. What I want to know now is anything you can tell me about Philip Spencer”.

What's to know? Basically he's a jock. He could be in the hotel business with his father, but he wants to make a successful reputation on his own”, said Thomas.

What do you know about him and drugs?”, asked Wallace.

Know? Nothing. Rumor? Yes. The word is that he deals hash and hash oil”.

Where?”

Out of the Kasbah. Once in awhile he comes up to Nautilus Beach. Some say it's to see his family. Others maintain that he has one or two rich clients that he delivers to”.

Any names?”

No”.

 

OK, let's now deal with Philip and Emma Prescott. I get the feeling that there's more to their relationship then meets the eye”.

There is.”

Oh? What is it?”

The word is they're partners in the hash trade”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

105.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Thirteen

 

On Monday, April 15, 1974, Frank Stiles motored up the Expressway heading for Philadelphia. In the unmarked police car was Captain Robert Wallace. Seated in the rear seat was Officer Carol Myers. “So let me get this straight.

The D.E.A. Raided the Kasbah last Friday night and arrested the Hamidi's and Philip Spencer and they have agreed to let us interrogate them, correct?”, asked Stiles.

Exactly and just as I figured they want our evidence”, answered Wallace.

Why?”, asked Myers.

More or less it's a backup. Our finding the butane canisters and the box with marijuana and heroin residue reinforces their case that narcotics were being manufactured and sold at the club', Wallace explained.

And, of course they'll be listening and recording every word that being said by the Hamidi's, Spencer and us”, said Stiles.

Naturally, by the way if I start bad mouthing the D.E.A. Or F.B.I. I want you to kick me square in the ass. Actually Fillmore brought me up to date. It seems D.E. A. has linked the Hamidi's to a Mexican cartel operated by a Victor Guzman. They gave the money to Jabar el Hamidi to buy the land and to build the supper club. By doing so it gave them an outlet for drugs and a way to launder their money”.

I thought that Immigration and Customs were in on this”, said Myers.

I thought so too. I think that what happened is they found out

106.

that the Hamidi's are naturalized citizens. That maybe takes away the immigration stage of the investigation. It is also possible that the information ascertained in the customs probe is being held in reserve, just like the information we have in the two homicides.”

Stiles drove into Philadelphia. “What am I looking for?”, he asked.

First of all get on Arch Street. We want the Federal Detention Center. The address is 700 Arch Street”,, explained Wallace.

I'm on Arch Street”, said Stiles.

Then look for the numbers on buildings”, said Wallace.

Isn't that it, that big building up ahead?”, asked Myers.

Damn if it isn't. Nice job Carol”, said Stiles.

Good, now find the entrance to the parking lot”, added Wallace.

After entering the facility, showing their identification and giving up their firearms which were placed in a secure vault, the three Nautilus Beach, Police Officers were led to an empty interrogation room that held a table and two chairs. Wallace looked around at the room seeing light green painted walls. One window high on the outside wall that was covered by heavy steel mesh. The tables and chairs were steel, painted in a battleship gray. Looking at the guard he had escorted them to the room, Wallace asked, “Could I have two more chairs in here?”

Yeah, we have someone bringing them”, the guard answered.

Thank you”, said Wallace.

Your welcome. Which prisoner do you want to talk to first? The U..S. Attorney has instructed us to remind you of the need for the Miranda Warning”

How nice of the government to help me with my investigation. Knowing the U.S. Attorney's Office I brought my own tape recorder”. said Wallace.

Hey Captain, are you looking for that kick in the ass?”, asked Stiles.

You are exactly right Frank. When your people are ready we would like to start with Mr. Himidi”, said Wallace.

The guard left and a maintenance man arrived carrying a gray, steel. folding chair, one in each hand. He entered the room, unfolded them and set them on the floor. Carol Myers took a seat. Wallace took his tape recorder out of the large brief case he carried it in, looked around for an electric outlet and finding one plugged in the extension cord. Then, after inserting a fresh cassette spoke into the microphone and then played back the tape. Satisfied when he heard his own voice

107.

saying,”one two three, one two three. He rewound the tape to its beginning and shut it off.

Fifteen minutes later, a different uniformed guard escorted a short, overweight, balding man wearing a bright orange jump suit into the room. Wallace looked at the man seeing a male figure who appeared to be in his late fifties or early sixties. What little hair he had on his head was turning gray, nonetheless the full, beard he grew on his face was cropped close, jet black and covered his throat. He looked first at Carol, then Stiles and finally, Wallace. “Where do you want me to sit?”, he asked.

Take that chair on the other side of the table”, Wallace instructed.

The man with his hands cuffed together made his way around the table and sat down. He looked at the tape recorder on the table. “It appears that you expect a long conversation”, he said.

Wallace smiled. “And a fruitful one, I hope. Let's start with an introduction. I am Captain Robert Wallace. The lady is Detective Carol Myers and that fellow standing in the corner is Detective Frank Stiles. We're from the Nautilus Beach Police Department in New Jersey. Now, it is my understanding that the United States Government arrested you and charged you with crimes related to narcotics. I want to assure you that we are not interested in anything connecting you and narcotics. In fact, we take the position that you as a citizen are innocent until proven guilty. However, Mr. Hamidi what we would like to do after advising you of your rights and having you sign the Miranda Warning Card is interview you in relation to another matter”.

What other matter?”

Can I advise you of your rights first?”

Yeah, yeah, go ahead”

Frank, read Mr. Himiidi his rights under the Miranda Rule. While you're doing that I'll see if I can scrape up some coffee. Would you like a cup of coffee, Mr. Hamidi?”

Not from here. What they call coffee in here is more like horse piss. Excuse me lady”.

Alright, I'll see what I can do”, said Wallace as he left the room.

Fifteen minutes later, Wallace came back into the room. “Sorry,

they won't allow me to send out or bring in anything. It seems that they're afraid of poison”, said Wallace as he picked up the Miranda card. “Is this your signature Mr. Hamidi?”

108. “Yes”.

Very good. Now as I mentioned, we will not be questioning you on or about the charges the United States Government has charged you with. At present we are investigating the murder of two young women, young women that either visited your supper club or worked for you. Do you understand?”, asked Wallace.

Yes”.

Then, is it your desire to talk with us and to answer questons put to you?”

Yes, but if I don't like the question I reserve the right to refuse to answer”, replied Himidi.

Agreed. Now let's get started said Wallace as he turned on the tape recorder. “First I want to ask you if you knew Elizabeth Kerr?”

Yes, a nice girl she hung around the club. At times she ran errands, but most of the time she watched the dancers”.

When she ran the errands, were they for you?”

Mostly they were for my wife who ran the gift shop”

You use the word mostly. Was their someone else that she ran errands for?”, asked Wallace.

Yes Philip Spencer”.

Can you tell me just what these errands were for ?”

For my wife or for Spencer?”

Either one or both”.

For my wife, the girl delivered take out Moroccan meals. For Spencer, who knows?”

We know Jabar, just like we know that you have a reputation both in Morocco and New Jersey as being an expert in the production of hashish. We also have information that Philip manufactured hash oil. However, as I have promised you, I'm not looking for information about drugs or your involvement with drugs. What I'm looking for right now is information about Elizabeth Kerr”.

It is my understanding that she delivered Philip's product to his customers. She also bought canisters of propane for him”.

Now, you're starting to bullshit me Jabar. The truth is you and Spencer were partners when it came to the sale of hash oil. Alright, we'll come back to what you know about the Kerr girl. For now, tell me what you know about Gloria Esposito”.

A nice girl. A professional dancer. Good, but not great. Her problem was the movement of her hands. She was not graceful. My wife insisted that I hire her as entertainment for the supper club. I did. But I only allowed her on the

109.

floor on slow nights like Wednesday's”

And, when she wasn't dancing?”

Like the Kerr girl she worked for Amina”.

And, like the Kerr girl did she also work for Spencer?”

Yes”.

And, since you and Spencer were partners that also means she worked for you. So, what did she do?”

Himidi smiled, “I refuse to answer under my constitutional right not to give evidence against myself”.

You got it almost right Jabar, but I withdraw the question. Let's try a different question. Do you know a woman named Emma Prescott?”

Yes”.

What can you tell me?”

I can tell you this. She is a treacherous bitch”.

What do you mean by treacherous?”

Once again, I refuse to answer under my constitutional right not to give evidence against myself”.

Very good Jabar. For the moment this interview is over. You can go back to your cell. I want to thank you for your co-operation”.

Jabar el Himdi smiled. “Actually Captain, I haven't told you anything”, he said.

Not in so many words, but you did reinforce evidence that we already have”. He stepped out of the room and said to the guard, “We're done with him. You can bring us Amina Himidi when you get time”.

Well, what do you think of Himidi? I listened carefully to everything he said and I don't see him adding anything to our case”, said Stiles.

Like I told him, he confirmed several things. Both girls were used by both Himidi and Spencer as mules, delivering heroin, marijuana and hash to customers who didn't want to be seen at the club. At the same time he just opened a door leading to Emma Prescott”, Wallace responded.

Maybe Amina will provide some answers”, said Myers.

Don't count on it. Both she and Jabar are Berbers. Berbers are lovers and Berber women can marry who they choose. Therefore, I expect her to protect Jabar by being very careful on how she answers my questions”.

There was a knock on the door and then it opened. “Here is Amina Himidi”, said the guard.

Come in Mrs. Himidi”, said Wallace as he greeted her. At the same time he gazed upon a short, slightly built woman in what he judged to be in her

110.

mid fifties. She wore the orange jump suit, an attire that was too long for her and the pant legs were rolled up, creating large, thick, cuffs. Her head was covered with a wool multicolored hijab, which traditionally is called a zif, worn when woman marry.

Detective Myers escorted Amina to the chair and helped seat her. “Are you comfortable”, asked Myers. The woman nodded her head. Wallace then introduced himself, Myers and Stiles and informed her of her rights. He then stood and watched her sign the Miranda card. Next, the Captain gave her the same assurances that he had given her husband, promising not to question her about anything related to the United States Government's charges against her Then, he began his questioning.

May I call you Amina?”, Wallace asked.

No, you can refer to me as Mrs. Himidi”.

Very well. It is my understanding that at the Kasbah your husband ran the supper club and you were in charge of the gift shop”.

I was in charge of everything related to the Kasbah, the supper club, kitchen, and the gift shop”.

And why was that. Mrs. Himidi?”

I am much more educated than my husband. As a girl I went to school. As a boy Jaber worked in the fields”.

I see, you say that you were in charge of the kitchen in the Kasbah. I am curious in how you can stuff flower blossoms with such things as goat cheese, or ground meat”, said Wallace.

The thing to remember is the consistency of the filling”.

I see. Why is it that you fill take out orders in the gift shop?”

I can't be in two places at once”. Therefore the kitchen help bring me the orders and I fill them in the shop”.

In the shop you have many leather goods”.

Yes, all imported from Morocco”.

Can you tell me if you sold matching shoulder bags to Elizabeth Kerr and Gloria Esposito?”

I didn't sell them the bags. I gave the first one to Gloria as a gift.

Betty seeing the pocketbook admired it, so much that I gave her the last one that I had. It was a coincidence that both bags were identical”.

And, why would you give the girls these fine gifts?”

Both girls worked for me. I found them efficient and competent. Take out and delivery is about forty per cent of our business. In appreciation one day I gave Gloria the purse'.

I thought that Gloria as a dancer worked for Jabar”.

111. “I just told you that I run the entire business, including the entertainment”.

And, Jabar doesn't mind that arrangement?”

We are Berbers. Traditionally the husband and wife live separately. Men cohort with men. Women associate with women, so much so that men do not understand the arrangement and at times fear it. Although I am married. I have no children. At the same time there are no Berber woman or Moroccan woman for me to associate with. So, the young women, Gloria and Betty became my associates. In a business sense they worked for me. In the social sense they were my friends”.

I see. Now, I can understand how Gloria. A professional dancer came to the Kasbah and gained employment, but Elizabeth comes from a different social setting. She comes from a wealthy family, is educated, can come and go as she pleases with money being no object. Can you explain how she, with that background became a delivery girl, even using her own car?”

It's called love Captain. She lacked love. Her family showered her with objects, clothes, jewels, automobiles. But never love. It is my understanding that the father concerns himself with his business and the desire to be not only rich, but famous. Is it not true that he is considering entering politics?”

Yes, that's correct. What can you tell me about Philip Spencer?”. Asked Wallace.

Another lost rich kid. One who seeks attention, whether it's as a good looking young man and lover women would fight over or as a smart, tough business man, like his father”.

What is his connection with your husband?”

Captain if indeed you asked Jabar that question I know that he never gave you an answer. I will tell you what was his relation to me.”

And, what was it?”

He was responsible for order in the club, but mostly he prepared orders for delivery”.

Working beside you in the gift shop?”

Exactly”.

Alright Mrs. Himidi what can you tell me about Philip Spencer and Emma Prescott?”

Amina laughed. “Really Captain. You may look upon this aging Berber woman from the Rif mountains of Morocco and think of her as backward and uneducated, but you'd be wrong. I've lived in the United States long enough to know what it takes to survive in business, any business. All one really needs is an excellent accountant and an excellent attorney. Jabar and I have both. Our attorney has

112.

explained the governments case against us and at the same time informed us how a plea deal works in the American judicial system. So, our knowledge of the activities of certain Mexicans and Americans, including Philip Spencer and Emma Prescott will remain between us and our lawyer. I hope you understand”.

Wallace smiled. “Certainly Mrs. Himidi, but you can't blame an old cop from trying. Thank you so much for talking with me. You're free to go”.

Not at all. And may I say you are a gentleman”.

Thank you Mrs. Himidi”.

After Amina Himidi left Wallace turned to Stiles and Myers and said, “There goes a very smart woman, not only smart in a business sense, but also in the ways of life. Alright, let's get Spencer in here then we can finish up and get out of here”.

Carol Myers opened the door and seeing the guard posted in the hallway asked for Philip Spencer to be brought to the interrogation room. “Sorry Miss. That prisoner is probably in court with his attorney. His lawyer is filing a writ of habeas corpus.”

Myers rushed back to the room and gave Wallace the information.

Captain Wallace walked over to the wall with the electric outlet and unplugged his tape recorder then started packing everything into the large brief case.

Looks like his lawyer is one step ahead of us”, said Stiles.

Like hell. Think about it this way, The Kasbah is closed. Where else can he go? Only one place, home. Spencer's lawyer just put his client in our jurisdiction, Nautilus Beach”. When I'm ready for him, we'll pick him up. Meanwhile, we keep digging”, said Wallace.

Back at headquarters Captain Wallace called for Detective McKenna.

When the young officer reported Wallace handed him a large, manila envelope. “inside of this is a half burnt piece of paper. To me it looks like an invoice.. I can't make out what it's for, but you're going to find out for me. I was able to get the zip code. It's 07416. That's Franklin Township, New Jersey. As far as I know there is only one plant nursery there. Show the paper. If it's one of their invoices I want to know what was shipped and to who. Take my unmarked car tomorrow morning”.

Yes sir”.

And sign for the evidence.”

Later that evening Robert Wallace sat relaxed on the living room sofa in Doctor Manfred Edwards home. The pathologist sipped a scotch and soda while Wallace nursed a beer, taking occasional sips from the brown glass bottle.

So, you think this is the one”, said Edwards.

Yep”

113. “Seems to me that, what was her name? The college professor?”,asked Edwards

Deborah”

Oh yeah, Deborah Roth, seems to me that you thought she was the one”.

At the time I thought she was”.

Then, after her there was the newspaper reporter”.

Wallace smiled, remembering the time in Tobago. I never said she was the one”.

After her, there was the nurse”.

Too independent and combative. However. Excellent in the sack”.

And the realtor”.

Again, an independently wealthy widow, too serious and wanted to remarry”.

And, now, what's her name?”

Jane”

Jane. And according to you, she's the one”.

Yep”.

What makes her different from the others that you insisted was the one?”

I can give you a million reasons. A few are, sophisticated, educated, smart, beautiful, young enough to bare children and most importantly, she puts up with my bull shit”.

Oh, well that settles it. If she can put up with your bull shit you better marry her. Those in your past couldn't and those in your future won't. Hell, go down town tomorrow and get the license before she gets away”.

I haven't asked her yet”.

Why not?'

I'm afraid she will say, no”.

I thought that you just said that she is sophisticated, educated and smart”.

I did”.

Then she will definitely say no”.

Wallace laughed. “You could be right. OK. I'm going home. As they say, tomorrow is another day”.

Are you getting any closer in solving these cases?”, asked Edwards.

Closer? Yes, inch by inch”.

You are always in a hurry. Don't rush. When you do that, mistakes are made.”

114. “Yeah, I know. Good night Doc”.

Good night”.

 

After a good night sleep, Wallace walked into his office. As usual he carried the white paper bag containing coffee and donuts for members of his squad. Things had changed since Carol Myers joined the unit. Now the bag contained one Styrofoam cup of tea and a plain muffin with butter. He sat eating at his desk when Frank Stiles walked in, reached into the bag and took one coffee and one donut.

Stiles took a seat and then looking at Wallace said, “I hate to tell you this Cap, but you're putting on weight”.

It's because I quit smoking. If it keeps up I'll have to go on a diet. If that happens, no more coffee and goodies in the morning”.

Speaking of goodies, would someone pass me my tea and muffin”, said Myers as she walked into the office.

Looking at the clock on the wall and then at Myers he said, “Are you just getting in? It's eight fifteen”.

I've been here since seven forty five Captain. I was talking to some of the girls downstairs and I went to the ladies room. If anyone missed roll call it's McKenna. He's not in yet”.

He's better be on his way to Franklin Township”, said Wallace.

His conversation was interrupted when the telephone on his desk rang.

Major Crime Squad, Captain Wallace”, he said when he answered the phone.

Captain, this is James Walker, United States Attorney here in Philadelphia. I understand that you are investigating two homicides and that Jabar and Amina Himidi are persons of interest in your investigation. Is that right?”

Yes it is”.

Well, to bring you up to date, the Himidi's have agreed to a plea bargain. Now, it is my understanding that Amina Himidi wishes to talk to you. You of course can refuse to talk to her or you may come up here and see what she wants to tell you. I'm only letting you know that she wants to communicate”.

Thank you. Can I see her today?”

We have no problem with today or for that matter any day that you would prefer”.

By tomorrow she might change her mind. I'm on my way. Thank you Mr. Walker”.

You're welcome.”

Wallace hung up the receiver and looked at Myers who was sipping her tea. “Carol, when you are finished go down to the desk sergeant. Have him bring in a radio car off of the street and have them transport you to the police garage. When

115.

you get there, check out an unmarked car and schedule it for a trip to Philadelphia. Then, come back here and pick me up”.

How about me Cap? Do you want me to go with you?”, asked Stiles.

No. What I want you to do is find out if Philip Spencer is in town. If he is I want to know where he's living so we can pick him up when we're ready”.

A civilian employee knocked on the office door even though it was open. “Come in”, said Wallace.

Sorry to bother you Captain, but I have mail for you”, said the male clerk as he handed Wallace a white envelope”.

Thank you”, said Wallace. He took the letter looked to see who it was from then using the letter opener on his desk sliced the top opening the envelope. He reached in and removed a type written document, unfolded it and leaned back in the high back, leather chair. As he read, a slight smile formed on his lips. “Excellent”, he said aloud. He got up from the chair walked around the desk and placed the letter in the Kerr file. Turning to Myers he asked, “Are you ready?”

Yes sir”, she answered as she got up and left the office carrying the cup of tea with her.

Turning then to Stiles he said, “I'll probably be gone all day. You run things here. That means you keep the nosy press off of our ass. If the prosecutor or his staff call you don't know anything. Same thing with the State Police. By now they're pissed off because the feds made a bust and they weren't invited. If they give you any trouble hang up on the bastards and I'll deal with it later. Most important, I want to know where Spencer is living”.

No problem Cap”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

116.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Fourteen

 

The uniformed guard at the United States Detention Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania opened the heavy steel door of the interrogation room allowing Amina Himidi to enter. The woman wore the handcuffs on her wrists and the rolled up pant legs of the orange jump suit. By tradition she wore the multi colored hijab that covered her head and as she entered the room she looked at Wallace and said, "Good morning Captain. I prayed that you would have a safe trip coming here to see me"

"Good morning Mrs. Himidi. I trust you remember Detective Myers".

"Yes I do. how are you my dear?"

"I'm fine Mrs. Himidi", answered Myers.

"I brought you a little something. A cup of Moroccan coffee and a few almond brioust. Now, i made sure that the coffee was made with orange blossom water, but I was told that the orange water was added to taste. As far as the

117.

milk goes, I was told that milk is optional when drinking. so, i had them put the milk on the side," said Wallace.


"How nice of you to bring me a treat. i am sure that who ever prepared the coffee used the correct amount of orange water and then brewed it strong. As for the brioust, I will wrap them in this napkin and enjoy them in my cell. Thank you very much".

"You are quite welcome. Now, it is my understanding that you and your husband have agreed to plea bargain with the United States Attorney's. Is that correct?"

"Yes it is. and, let me get right to the point as to why I wanted you here. You see, the Spencer boy went before a judge yesterday and is out on bail. My lawyer has told me that he has agreed to testify against Jabar and me. Well, since he chose that path to walk down I have decided to make his trip a little less satisfying. at this moment, on this day I will answer your questions pertaining to the death of the two girls".

"Do you know who killed them?"

"Not exactly. I can tell you this. It wasn't Jabar or myself. I have the feeling dear Captain` that you yourself know who the killer is, but you don't know why the girls were killed."

"And you can give me the motive?"

"Oh yes", said Amina then took a sip of her coffee. "My that is good. Where did you get this?", she asked.

"The Fez Restaurant on Second street".

"Ah yes, I've heard of it. Now i know that you want to know why Betty and Gloria were killed. You see, Jabar, ignorant when it comes to a lack of schooling became an expert on growing marijuana and later the manufacturing of hashish. I am sure that by now you know that we made contact with the Mexicans. From them we were really interested in their supplying us with heroin. However, for us to buy their heroin we had to also buy a certain amount of marijuana. That was no problem. You see over time the Mexican business here in New Jersey became so large that they needed a place to exchange the money they made. I think you call it money laundering. it was they that offered us the money to build and operate the Kasbah. They wanted business as usual, but in addition they wanted Jabar to increase his production of hashish. Jabar became so busy making the hashish that the heroin production went down so it was his decision to take in someone to help him".

"Let me guess. that someone is Philip Spencer",said Wallace.

"That's correct. Philip had been a regular customer at the club.

118.

He ate and drank and spent a lot of money, both on food and drink and hashish. One day Jabar came to me and insisted that we hire Philip. I was against it from the start. However, there are times when a Berber woman must allow the husband to assert himself as head of the family. That time I did just that.

What happened next was that Philip went from being the security man in the Kasbah to working next to Jabar in the creation of black tar heroin, marijuana and hashish. I didn't like it and I told Jabar that I didn't like it. After many arguments I convinced Jabar to place Philip in my gift shop where I could watch him". Amina took another sip of coffee.

"Unfortunately, Philip learned how to make hash oil. The information we received was that he made an excellent product, so good in fact that they wanted him to fly to Mexico, meet with them and teach them how he made it.

You must understand that Jabar felt that the Mexicans and Spencer were cutting him out of the hash oil end of the business. What happened next, was Jabar sat down with Spencer and offered him a partnership in the hash oil end of the operation. However, Philip wanted a partnership in our complete enterprise. Jabar suggested that Philip fly to Mexico and meet with the, what's the word they're using today? Cartel?”

Yes, Cartel”, said Wallace

Jabar suggested that Philip fly to Mexico, meet with the cartel and learn what they were willing to pay with the oil being made in New Jersey rather than in Mexico. At the same time if the arrangements were beneficial to us Jabar would consider taking Spencer in as a partner”.

What happened?”, asked Wallace.

When Philip returned from Mexico he had changed. From being a co-operative employee he became domineering. He became insulting and insolent to his customers. Fortunately he had a product that they wanted and desired, even after he raised the price of the oil.'

Did he and Jabar become partners?”, asked Wallace.

No, I refused to allow it. Why should we give him half of everything? Half of the heroin trade, half of the marijuana trade, half of the supper club along with half of the gift shop, for what, the hash oil business? No, I don't think so”.

And how did Philip accept your decision?”, asked Wallace.

With our refusal he made plans to cut us out of the hash oil trade and go into business for himself”, said Amina.

How do you know this?”, asked Wallace

I know because Betty overheard Philip and his girlfriend talking

119.

about making their own deal with the Mexicans for buying and selling marijuana and hash oil.”

You say girlfriend. Who was Philips girlfriend?”

Emma Prescott”.

Are you sure?”

Yes'.

OK. Then what?”

Betty was into heroin heavy, not as a user but she was either selling it among her friends or giving it away. I don't know which. So in exchange for her silence she wanted free heroin from Spencer. Well, one or both of them killed the girl. But not before she told Gloria”.

And, Gloria told you”.

Exactly”

I was told that Gloria was on her way to see me the day she died. Can you tell me more about her?”

What's to tell. Gloria was a lost girl from the streets. She had told me that she became a prostitute at age thirteen. She dropped out of school when she turned sixteen. She held menial jobs a waitress one time, cashier another time and of course she worked the streets. Some how for some reason she took up belly dancing and got a few jobs in little restaurants and private parties. Still, even though she could move her hips, she lacked the gracefulness required by those considered the best such as the movement of the hands. But, she tried. At my insistence Jabar featured her on Wednesday nights. You see a good belly dancer can make between two hundred and a thousand dollars a set. So even if she only danced once a night in our club she made two hundred dollars. Of course there were times when a Wednesday night was busy. When that happened we allowed her to dance two sets”.

So. Why was she killed?”

I think she was angry. She put two and two together and figured that Spencer and the Prescott girl killed Betty. She made the mistake of telling them that she was going to tell you what she knew”.

Why me?”, asked Wallace.

Because your name and picture was in the newspaper about Betty's murder”.

Let's talk about the flowers you use in the Kasbah”, said Wallace.

What about them?”

Why so many? And different kinds”.

As a girl in Morocco I learned how to dry flowers in the sun. My

120.

family would sell the dry petals to the perfume and soap makers. What we didn't sell to them we sold to the spice merchants. When I came to America I continued to dry flowers. Here, the American woman use dry flower arrangements for decorating. At the Kasbah I sold arrangements, and petals for cooking, along with Moroccan recipes.”

You also used them to cover up the smell of the black tar heroin”, said Wallace.

That's true Captain. That's true.'

We found a lot of dry petals in both girls automobiles”.

Probably because they were delivering for us. I'm sure that heavy users ripped open the packages and the flower petals spilled in the car”.

Do you use oleander flowers for anything?”

Oleander? No. I would have no use for it. It is not too aromatic and as for its use in cooking it is said to be poisonous.”.

I see”.

Is there anything else that you can think of that I can tell you?”

No Mrs. Himidi you gave me exactly what I needed, the motive for the girls death. However, if I should need to talk to you again I hope the invitation is on going”.

It is Captain it is. Nonetheless if there is a next time you will have to pay for any information”.

And how much will it cost me?”

One dozen of the almond brioust”

Hey, that's a deal”, said Wallace.

And, should we not meet again be assured that I will pray to Allah to protect you Captain and you also Miss Myers”.

Thank you”.

Good by”.

On the drive back to Nautilus beach Wallace played and re-played the audio tape of Amina Himidi's conversation. Satisfied, he removed the single ear piece from his ear, shut of the recorder/player and placed it in the large, leather carrying case where he kept it . Turning to Myers who was driving he said, “Well, I'm satisfied that neither Amina or Jabar Himidi are guilty of killing Kerr or Esposito. When I asked her about oleander, she didn't even flinch. Hell, she even told me that the stuff is poisonous. Miss Myers, we are closing in on the culprits”, he said happily.

Arriving back at headquarters Captain Wallace and Detective Myers were met by Mckenna and Stiles. Looking at McKenna Wallace asked, “How did you make out?”

121. “Here's my report. I would say I made out fine and I got what you wanted”, Mckenna answered.

Wallace walked around his large, walnut desk and sat down. With McKenna's report in his hand he leaned back in the high-back black leather chair and began to read. When he was finished he smiled and looking up at Tom McKenna said, “Nice job Tommy. Nice job”.

Thanks Cap”, McKenna replied.

Wallace then turned his attention to Stiles. “What have you got Frank?”, he asked.

Our poor little rich boy is home, safe in his mothers arms. He's not going anywhere. One of the conditions of his bail is that he remain in New Jersey and if he wishes to leave either Nautilus Beach or the state he is to notify the United States authorities”, said Stiles.

Alright, it's been a long day. You and Tom pick him up tomorrow and bring him in for questioning. It's going to be very interesting to see what he has to say”.

It was one thirty in the afternoon the next day when Stiles and McKenna escorted Philip Spencer into Captain Wallace's office. Wallace looked up from the reports he had been reading at took a long look at the young man who at that time appeared to be agitated. “Something wrong Mr. Spencer?”, asked Wallace.

You're damn right! This is nothing more than police harassment! Just because I have been accused of dealing narcotics by the feds doesn’t give you guys the right to pick me up on trumped up charges. You know and I know that I have rights and one of those rights is to have my lawyer present when you pull bullshit like this”, said Spencer.

And just what do you consider to be bull shit? We haven't even asked you a question yet. But, you're right. You are entitled to have your lawyer present. Who is he? I'll call him for you”. Said Wallace.

Never mind”.

No. no, no. Who is you're lawyer? I insist that you have everything you deserve, which by the way might be life in prison”, Wallace responded.

What the hell are you talking about? Life in prison? For what dealing drugs? The feds and I cut a deal. They said ten years and I'll be out in three”.

What they didn't tell you is that they're the governments attorney's. They prosecute their case against you. In the end they can recommend ten and out in three. It's that person in the black robe sitting high on the bench who makes the final decision”, said Wallace.

They wouldn't lie to me. I'm their star witness”.

Is that right? I imagine that you came to that conclusion when they

122.

asked you to testify against the Himidi's, right?”

Absolutely”.

Did they tell you that they gave the same deal to the Himidi's to testify against you?”

You're trying to bullshit me. They wouldn't double cross me. They want the Himidi's too much to do that and I'm the guy that can give them to the feds”.

OK, if you say so. If I were you I'd ask my lawyer what the status of the governments case against you is right now. Things happen. Things change.”

Yeah, but let's stop and get on to just what you want with me”, said Spencer.

No problem. I just have a few questions I want to ask you”.

Such as?”

Such as how did you end up working at the Kasbah?”

A friend of mine told me that grass was being sold down there. I drove down had dinner asked around and made a buy”.

How much did you buy?”

Hell, I don't remember exactly how much. It was a long time ago. It was enough to last me two or three days”.

Did you roll it?”

No, I used a bong”.

OK, what next?”

Well, it was so convenient that I guess you could say I became a regular. Jabar told me that if I steered customers to him that he's take care of my supply”.

Now, these customers, were any of them Elizabeth Kerr and Gloria Esposito?”

I took Betty Kerr down there. I also took Marty Thomas and Emma Prescott, but at that time I didn't know Gloria. I met her later, when she went to work as a dancer at the club”.

And it is our understanding that Betty, Gloria and Emma went to work for you as delivery girls. Is that true?”, asked Wallace.

It seems that the feds gave you some false information Captain. Emma never went to work for me”.

Why not?”

We have something special. I didn't want her out there at night carrying horse and grass”.

Something special? Is it still special after you've been busted?”

123. “Certainly, she promised to wait. I'll do the three, come out and go to work in the hotels with my family”.

I see, then the two of you have made plans to marry”.

Yep.

Well, congratulations. Is there anything you would like to ask us?”, said Wallace.

Yeah, two things. First, why didn't you read me my rights? Anything I just told you isn't worth a damn. Looks like you made a mistake. Second, can I leave?”

Wallace smiled. We didn't read you your rights because we haven't charged you with anything and incidentally what you have told us is not only interesting, but how do I say it?...beneficial”. And, you can go. Lots of luck in the future”.

After Spencer left, Wallace got up from his desk and looking at Stiles said, “ In two hours our shift is done for the day. Now, we could work overtime, but here's what I want to do. I'm taking the case home with me since there are a few things I want to use to refresh my memory. Tomorrow, bright and early I want you Stiles and you Myers to travel to Princeton University. There you will meet with Emma Prescott and convince her to return with both of you to Nautilus Beach.”

And if she refuses?”, asked Stiles.

Then you arrest her for lying to a police officer and obstruction of justice”. Looking at Tom McKenna he said,”Get over to the court and have an arrest warrant issued”. Then turning to Stiles he said, “Don't serve it unless you have to”.

Got it”.

Good, now let me get the hell out of here. I need a cup of coffee”, said Wallace as he placed the thick folder in his brief case”.

The next day, Wallace looked up to see Carol Myers entering his office. Then, he looked at the clock on the wall. It was two forty five. “What the hell took you so long?”, he asked.

Traffic and lunch. Incidentally you owe me thirteen dollars and seventy five cents. Not only did I have to feed Emma Prescott but Frank as well. He never carries cash, or so he says. He did leave the tip, a whole dollar”, said Myers.

Wallace laughed. “Look how fast you're learning”.

So far I've learned that Stiles and Mckenna are a coup[Le of cheap bastards”, said Myers.

Where is he and where is Miss Prescott?”

They're coming. She had to use the ladies room. Right now there's a uniformed police woman with her”.

While they waited Wallace prepared the tape recorder, then

124.

reached into the side drawer of his desk and removed a card containing the Miranda warning. Handing the card to Myers he said, “She's not the only one that has to go. When she arrives give her her rights and have her sign the card. I'll be right back”.

When he came back into his office he found Emma Prescott seated as two detectives watched her. He picked up the Miranda card and saw that Prescott had signed it. “How are you Miss Prescott? It's been awhile since we last met”. He said.

How am I? Angry, that's how I am. Angry and embarrassed . Do you have any idea what it is like to have the police come to your dormitory and remove you for no reason and in front of your fellow students?”,she asked.

I'm sure that like most citizens you shouted at the top of your lungs that there was a mistake. And, let me tell you from experience the student body will get over it and so will you. Now, it is my understanding that you have had lunch and was allowed to go to the ladies room. Is there anything else you might need before I start asking you some questions?”

No but make it quick and I want you to know that I expect these two to take me back to Princeton”.

Alright, let's see how good your memory is. A few months ago you came in here and we had a conversation. Do you remember?”

Yes”.

Oh good. Just in case one of us does forget, that conversation was recorded and typed into a police report. Now, here's what you said about Elizabeth Kerr's death. You said, I was in Spain at the time of her death. Do you recall making that statement?”

Yes”.

Actually, you were never in Spain during the Christmas holidays. We checked each and every airline leaving the United States and returning from Spain during your holiday break from Princeton. You weren't on board any flight”.

I have nothing to say other than I had a reason at the time to tell you that”.

And what woulds that reason be?”, asked Wallace.

I had a medical problem”.

I see. We'll come back to that. Another thing you told me was that you and Philip Spencer were not involved romantically, but just friends”.

That's true”

And, that you were not familiar with Gloria Esposito”.

That's right.”

Let me stop you right here, because you're digging yourself into a

125.

deep hole.”

I don't know what you're talking about, a deep hole”.

OK. We'll play it your way. First of all, you and Philip are more than casual friends. We know this because you and him flew down to Mexico together to meet with members of a cartel”.

That's not true”.

No? Then explain this to me. This is a letter from the Guardian Air Travel Insurance Company confirming the fact that you, Emma Prescott did purchase flight insurance for yourself and Philip Spencer for flight 3709 Aztec Airlines, from Philadelphia to Cancun Mexico.”

Simply a coincidence. We were both going to Mexico so we decided to travel together”.

And, out of the goodness of your heart you decided to insure just a casual friend?”

I'd like a glass of water if you don't mind”, said Emma.

Stiles get the lady some water. Officer Myers will stay here and chaperone the both of us Miss Prescott. While we're waiting let me remind you about you and Gloria Esposito. The truth is you did know her. You knew her because she worked at the Kasbah first as a dancer and then as a delivery girl for you and Philip. And since Gloria or Fatima as she was also known as only danced on Wednesday's and you spent weekends with Philip at the club as well as his place you had to know her”.

I've told you, Philip and I are only friends, nothing more. I don't know who told you things like me staying with him on weekends, but it isn't true”.

Hmm. Just yesterday I spoke with Philip. Did you know that he has been arrested and charged with manufacturing and distributing narcotics?”

Yes, I read it in the papers”.

I see well, yesterday he told me that as he serves time in prison you promised to wait for him”.

He lied to you”.

He lied to me. If anyone has or is not telling the truth, it's you. Do you remember me asking you about flower petals?”

Yes”

You pleaded ignorance just as you've done here today. However, you know that flower petals were used to cover the odor of the black tar heroin you and Philip were sending out every night. Let me ask you, what can you tell me about oleander?”

I don't know. I think it's a tropical plant, a bush, maybe a tree”.

126. Wallace reached into the pile of police reports on his desk. “You are Emma Prescott?”

Certainly, you know I am'.

And you live at eighteen hundred Chamberlain Drive, Nautilus Beach New Jersey?”

Yes”.

Then. Explain this invoice from Miller's Nursery, in Franklin Township New Jersey showing that an order for two, potted oleander plants was filled and shipped to a Miss Emma Prescott, eighteen hundred Chamberlain Drive, nautilus Beach New Jersey.”

I refuse to answer any more questions. I have a right to a lawyer and I want one now”, said Emma Prescott”.

And you shall have one. At this time I must stop questioning you. But, I will tell you this. You are under arrest for the murder of Elizabeth Kerr and Gloria Esposito. You killed Elizabeth inviting her to your home and by feeding her a nice, fresh garden salad, one that you added several leaves from the oleander plant, knowing that it was highly poisonous. You did the same thing to Gloria, only you changed the recipe. That time you boiled the leaves and branches and added the potion to a nice spicy stew.”

Where did you come up with that ridiculous idea?”, asked Prescott”.

Actually, you gave me the idea. I went to Princeton and pulled your list of courses. You are taking biology and at the same time you joined the Princeton Botany Club.”.

I would say that everything you have told me only means you have circumstantial evidence”, said Emma.

That's a problem for the prosecutor, not me. Unfortunately for me you killed both women in Nautilus Beach which brought me into the case”. Looking at Stiles he said, “You and Myers, take her down stairs and book her”.

 

 

Jane Chambers opened the front door and saw Robert Wallace standing there with a bottle of champagne in his hand. She saw the smile on his face. “You've done it haven't you? You solved the case”, she said.

Yep, and to celebrate I brought a bottle of the bubbly.”

Good, because I also have something to celebrate. But first tell me, who killed Elizabeth?”

Emma Prescott”.

Oh my. Does Mr. and Mrs. Kerr know?”

127. “Yes”.

What did they say?”

I don't know. It wasn't me who informed them “.

Keep talking, I'll get the glasses. You can open the bottle”

OK. What are you celebrating?”, asked Wallace as he ran his finger over the engagement ring box in his pocket.

The Kerr's bought a place in Paris and they want me to go with them”, she said.

Wallace took a deep breath then turned slowly, almost dropping the bottle he held in his hands. “And what did you say?”. He asked.

Well, naturally I said yes. What would I say?”

I was under the opinion that you and I had something special”, he replied.

We do, but it's not like we intended to get married or anything”.

Suppose I asked you to marry me, what would you say?”

I'd say Robert, what's the hurry? We haven't even known each other for a year. This is an opportunity of a life time. I'll be living in Paris and getting paid for it. At the same time I plan to study art. This is a chance for me improve my painting. Then I'd say, who knows what the future hold for both of us', Jane said as she handed him a champagne glass.

Wallace poured the wine, filling two glasses. After handing her one glass he raised his and said. “Congratulations. Here's to your new life in France and home. I hope that your art career takes off. Now, I think I'll hit the road. It's been a tough case and a long day”.

Certainly, I understand. Call me when you're free”.

I will. Good by”.

Later, Robert Wallace opened his desk drawer and placed the black velvet covered ring box containing a one caret diamond ring inside. Next, he opened the receipt , read the words, Koon's Jewelers and the price, $ 5, 000.00. And he put that with the ring. Closing the drawer he picked up the telephone and dialed the old familiar number.

Hello”?

What are you doing?”

None of your damn business. What do you want?”

How much vacation time do you have?”

Enough. Where are we going?”

How about Vegas?”

Fine with me”

128. “See you later.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Imprint

Publication Date: 10-14-2013

All Rights Reserved

Dedication:
Dedicated to my granddaughter KIM

Next Page
Page 1 /