Cover

Nick had considered himself a lucky guy, until now. He was living the good life. Content at home, beautiful wife of twenty years. Four great kids, a successful career, a nice house in a suburban neighborhood. A new car in the garage. Yes Nick Alero was indeed a very lucky man.

Then he met Gina Dane, in a restaurant while waiting for a client. And life as he knew it was about to change for the worse.


She was seated at a table directly opposite. She was waiting for her date, who never showed up. Neither did Nick’s client.
They struck up a conversation. “Looks like I've been stood up,” said Gina Dane, a slight pout on her lips as she spoke.

Nick said, “More fool he, leaving such an attractive woman to dine alone.”

“You seem to be in the same boat,” Gina said.

“My client seems to be late,” Nick said , looking at his Rolex, “or he’s just not going to show.”

“Do you mind if I join you?”, Gina asked, “I can leave as soon as your client shows up.”

Nick said, “Please, it would be my pleasure.”
And it was. For a while.

Nick stood, pulled out the chair across from his, pushed it in when she was seated and sat back down.
They introduced themselves. Nick lightly shook her offered hand.

Gina looked at Nicks’ hand, noticed the absence of a wedding ring and smiled to herself.
“How is it a man as distinguished as you managed to avoid the binds of matrimony?”, Gina asked.

“Oh, I am married,” Nick said, then remembered he had lost his wedding ring somewhere between New Jersey and Oklahoma. “I took it off in the airport security line, someone must have taking it.”
Gina looked at him suspiciously, but said nothing further about it. He’s hiding something she thought. Well, so am I.

They sat and talked, both had a martini after dinner. They laughed. To Nick it felt like a date, which he quickly realized, and made an excuse to call it a night.
“Well, it’s really rather late, my flight leave at six in the morning, I had a very nice time, Nick said as he rose form table.

Gina Dane looked disappointed.

Nick Alero saw the disappointed look on Gina Danes face. Nick thought about his wife back home in New jersey for the first time since Gina Dane sat down with him to dine, so he said, “Well, it’s really rather late, my flight leaves at six in the morning, I had a very nice time, It was a pleasure to have met you , Gina,” he said.

“Oh Nick, the pleasure was all mine I assure you. You know, I’m rather glad that my date stood me up,” said Gina Dane.

Nick said, “So am I, this was a very pleasant evening.” He paid the check against her protest. “It’s a business expense”, he smiled.

Gina laughed, “Here I thought it was pleasure.”
“Oh, it was it most certainly was.” Nick stammered.
They parted. Nick watched her get into her Nissan. He waved. She waved back.

It would be the last time he ever saw Gina Dane alive.
Restaurant employees and other patrons recalled seeing Nick with the woman when questioned by police.

Nick had no alibi, as he was alone the remainder of the evening.

Nick had thought about cheating on his wife, Gina Dane being a very attractive woman, clearly interested in him. After second thoughts on how lucky he had been to have such a wife as he, and children, a job he enjoyed and everything in his life being near perfect, he decided not to take things further with Gina Dane, no matter what, the cost was too great.

But now Gina was dead. Found in her hotel room. Murdered they said. She must have come on to another man somewhere else. Or her date called and she met up with him.

All Nick knew was that he did not kill Gina Dane. He hoped his wife believed that. He hoped the world knew he wasn't capable of murder.

Nick knew his luck was running out, that he would be arrested. He knew enough from watching a lot of crime shows on TV to call a lawyer and remain silent. He would be there only suspect. She was last seem with him. So he looked guilty.

Nick knew he would get through this, he was blessed with luck. they would find the guy that did it. He tried to think if Gina had mentioned the name of the date that stood her up. But he didn't recall her having done so.
Nick was born lucky, he would get through this, somehow.

"Mr. Alero," a tall detective said, " You're lawyer is here."
Janice Cartwright walked into the police station, head held high. "Hello Nick, in a bit of a pickle I see", she quipped.

"Seems so," Nick responded.
After the detective left them alone, Nick said, " I didn't do what they say I did Janice, I swear."

"Nick darling, a beautiful woman was involved here, and I know you're weakness for beautiful women", she winked.
It wasn't like that this time, Janice, you know better than anyone that I love my wife. I admit I thought about it, but I didn't have a fling with that woman and I sure as sin didn't kill her, you know me better than that."
"I know Nick, you're a lover, not a fighter. I'll get you out of this. You do have all the luck in the world you know," she said with a smile.

"Lucky for me I hired the best criminal lawyer in the country," Nick returned the smile. He knew he was in good hands.

Imprint

Publication Date: 10-24-2008

All Rights Reserved

Dedication:
To Markie, I'm glad I met him.

Next Page
Page 1 /