Cover

Page Title











Summary of

Don't Tell Anybody

the Secrets I Told You

A

Summary of Lucinda Williams’s Memoir



GP SUMMARY


Summary of Don't Tell Anybody the Secrets I Told You by Lucinda Williams

By GP SUMMARY© 2023, GP SUMMARY.

All rights reserved.

Author: GP SUMMARY

Contact: GP.SUMMARY@gmail.com

Cover, illustration: GP SUMMARY

Editing, proofreading: GP SUMMARY

Other collaborators: GP SUMMARY

NOTE TO READERS


This is an unofficial summary & analysis of Lucinda Williams’s “Don't Tell Anybody the Secrets I Told You: A Memoir” designed to enrich your reading experience.

 

DISCLAIMER


The contents of the summary are not intended to replace the original book. It is meant as a supplement to enhance the reader's understanding. The contents within can neither be stored electronically, transferred, nor kept in a database. Neither part nor full can the document be copied, scanned, faxed, or retained without the approval from the publisher or creator.


Limit of Liability


This eBook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This eBook may not be resold or given away to other people. If you are reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please purchase your own copy. You agree to accept all risks of using the information presented inside this book.


Copyright 2023. All rights reserved.


1

The narrator's father and stepmother, Jordan, would drink gin and tonics in the summer. The narrator's mother, Jordan, was not a social drinker and drank in private. When the narrator visited her in New Orleans, she slurred her words and was drinking heavily. The narrator realized her maternal instincts were taken from her by her mental illness. They were close until she passed away in 2004, but after a certain point they didn't depend on her for anything.



The narrator's mother, Lucille Fern Day, was born on December 31, 1930 and her parents were the Reverend Ernest Wyman Day and Alva Bernice Coon Day. She was obsessed with psychotherapy and was in and out of psychiatric hospitals. She had electroshock treatment and lithium, which had horrible side effects. The narrator had to pick their spots and pick their times when it was okay to engage her, as her mental illness was similar to that of Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton. Lucille Fern Day's father was a Methodist minister and her grandfathers were Methodist ministers.



Her mother studied music but didn't pursue a career in it. She fell in love with the piano at the age of four, but it became a symbol for what she could not do. She struggled with not having a career in music, which affected her confidence and lack thereof. She had a love-hate relationship with the piano, which was a joy and a burden at the same time. Her mental illness was more understated and subtle than Bette Davis'.



Her family used newspapers for wallpaper and insulation. The narrator's mother was born into a working-class family and had an intellectual mind. She met her father when she was studying music at LSU and was sexually molested by her father and one or more of her older brothers. The narrator's mother was diagnosed with manic depression with paranoid schizophrenic tendencies and was sent into mental hospitals from time to time. The narrator learned a lot from their mother, who was sent into mental hospitals from time to time after she had nervous breakdowns.

The narrator was born in 1953 in Lake Charles, Louisiana and was born with spina bifida. As a young child, the narrator was often sick and had an emergency tracheotomy. Things grew more difficult between the narrator and their parents after they were born, with the narrator getting the worst of it. The narrator's father was intellectually minded and was interested in Freud. His explanation for his troubles was that his mother had locked him in a closet when he was three years old.



The narrator's father was always analyzing their relationship with their mother, who was poor and had to borrow bread from the neighbors to feed them. Despite this, the narrator bonded with their father in a way that they might not have had if their mother had been more stable. When their mother was bad off, the narrator's father would take them out to play Putt-Putt or to see a drive-in movie. Despite this, the narrator didn't grow up hating their mother or feeling any kind of resentment. Recently, their sister, Karyn, brought up the same memories of playing Putt-Putt with their father, which was a powerful moment for the narrator.



The narrator is seventy years old and is still struggling to cope with the trauma of their childhood. They remember a photograph of their father and me, two years old, standing on the front steps of their house. When they moved to Baton Rouge, the narrator was sent to see a child therapist, but the therapist was concerned that the narrator was acting out due to their mother's illness. The therapist told the narrator that it was just a matter of precaution to make sure everything was good. The most important details in this text are that the author's childhood informs many of her songs, and that she wrote the song "Bus to Baton Rouge" in 2001.



The song is about her mother's family and her parents' house in Baton Rouge, which she visited often. The lyrics of the song tell the story of her mother's abusive trauma and living among people who didn't follow the news. The author's mother was a very religious woman with jet-black dyed hair, and her grandmother would pull switches from the hickory tree in their yard and whip them with them. The most important details in this text are that the narrator was born in Lake Charles, Louisiana, but moved to Vicksburg, Mississippi, when they were two and Jackson, Mississippi, when they were four. The narrator's grandfathers were Methodist preachers, and their mother and father moved their family from place to place in search of new work.



The narrator's grandfathers were Methodist preachers, and their mother and father moved their family from place to place in search of new work. The narrator's grandfathers were Methodist preachers, and their mother and father moved their family from place to place in search of new work. The narrator grew up in Hoxie, Arkansas and moved twelve times before they were eighteen. Their father was a scientist and poet, and they had lived in twelve different towns since they were born. The narrator's paternal grandfather and grandmother, Ernest Burdette Williams and Ann Jeanette Miller Williams, found their way into their life through their father.



Ernest was a progressive minister and social democrat who insisted that anyone be allowed to sit in the congregation regardless of race, which was controversial because it stood against the segregation laws at the time. The narrator's grandfather was a socialist and sharecropper who founded the Southern Tenant Farmers' Union in 1934 to help sharecroppers and tenant farmers get better deals during the Great Depression. He also stood with other ministers against Arkansas's governor, Orval Faubus, in the public school conflict in 1957, and led an effort to bring together ministers who supported integration. As a kid, the narrator heard his grandfather preach about equal rights for women and against Jim Crow laws of segregation, and argued against censorship in the arts and news. In the late 1940s and 2020s, there is a fierce struggle for control between those who want to restore a vanished past and those who want to create a better future.



Don Todd, a retired philosophy professor at Simon Fraser University, told the narrator about his grandfather Ernest, who was from a small town in the rural mountains of Arkansas. He had only a sixth-grade education until his late teens, when he came across another young kid carrying a Bible and some more Bibles in his bag. Ernest was a Christian liberal kid living in the country who traded an apple for one of the kid's Bibles. He became a radical Christian in favor of unions and supporting the poor, and was ordained in the 1920s. He met his wife and was born in 1930,

Imprint

Publisher: BookRix GmbH & Co. KG

Publication Date: 05-01-2023
ISBN: 978-3-7554-4105-2

All Rights Reserved

Dedication:
Lucinda Williams' memoir Don't Tell Anybody the Secrets I Told You chronicles her life journey and the stories that inspired her enduring songs.

Next Page
Page 1 /