Cover

All about solar-powered cars

The development of progress and the preservation of ecology became the main catalysts for the invention of solar-powered cars. They have pros and cons, but in practice have not yet become widespread, for which there are a number of reasons.

 

General characteristics

 

The functioning principle is based on conversion of solar energy into electrical energy. The latter becomes the power source for the electric motor and best d1s bulb, installed on the car. If you connect such a motor, auxiliary electronic devices, responsible for full operation in different driving modes and a certain number of batteries, providing power reserve - this brings the car closer to the usual.

 

The first car based on solar panels was created in the middle of the twentieth century. This event took place in the United States. But at that time there was no technology for creating powerful batteries. Producing batteries had a low capacity, which halted the development of this sphere.

 

 

In the 90's there were new attempts to design "solar" cars. By increasing the efficiency of the batteries, the inventors managed to significantly increase the amount of energy produced. Energy-consuming batteries can create the necessary supply of power for the engine to drive for long enough distances.

 

The use of innovative materials to create bodies, improved transmissions, and electric powertrains has had a positive impact. The bodies are made of durable lightweight plastic elements. The transmission has parts with the lowest rolling resistance.

 

Instead of conventional electric motors, motors of the commutatorless type are used. There are poles made of rare-earth magnetic alloys. Some manufacturers install motor-wheels - power units placed on the drive wheels. Such a scheme greatly increases the efficiency of the transmission mechanism.

 

The power reserve of solar energy in the aggregate has increased due to the release of flexible batteries. They can now be mounted on any element of the body.

What solar cars are available

Virtually every leading automotive technology company is working on the invention of the perfect solar car. The most famous are the offspring.

 

 

Venturi

The car of this French company Ecletic has 22 horsepower. It is able to overcome without recharging about 50 kilometers at a speed not exceeding 50 kilometers per hour. It uses a backup power source, which is a wind generator. In addition, the car can be charged from the mains. Another of its inventions is the Astrolab. This model has a power of 16 kW and a speed of 120 km/h. Its weight is 300 kg and the battery is placed on the roof.

 

 

 

Green GT

 

The Swiss have contributed to progress. Their invention Solar World GT has 400 horsepower. The car is able to gain up to 275 kilometers per hour.

 

The production of solar cars is also engaged in the territory of the Russian Federation. In St. Petersburg created a device weighing 200 kg, which is due to the use of lightweight composite for the construction of the body. Externally, the model resembles a catamaran and is characterized by the ability to gain speeds up to 150 km/h.

 

The industry leaders are the Japanese. Their solar-powered Tokai Challenger 2 won the race. Its body is made of carbon fiber. Mass of the car is only 140 kg, its speed reaches 160 km/h. It is equipped with batteries of the famous company Panasonic.

 

Pros and cons

Cars powered by solar energy are endowed with positive characteristics:

 

  • environmental safety and the absence of restrictions on the power supply reserve;

  • compact size, long service life;

  • no need for refueling at special stations;

  • low operating costs (free refueling).

 

It is not without disadvantages, which outweigh the advantages. These include the high cost and inability to start mass production, reduced power and speed compared to conventional cars. There are no workshops to service such cars in the world yet.

 

Solar electric cars in practice

These cars are not applied in practice. This is prevented by the cost of cars and low efficiency of solar batteries. Not every motorist is ready to lay out a couple of million dollars for a car which has disadvantages.

 

The development of new technologies contributes to the improvement of solar cars. They have already become compact and lightweight. They are equipped with flexible solar panels. A certain Venezuelan company promises to produce solar-powered cars and light trucks. So far these are only promises, but experts are confident about the future of these vehicles.

 

Solar energy is an inexhaustible and renewable source, which, if used properly, opens up limitless possibilities for mankind.


Source: https://lampsap.com

 

Imprint

Publication Date: 05-09-2022

All Rights Reserved

Next Page
Page 1 /