Cover

Alley Wolf


“Yes, Mr. Melson,” I sighed. Mr. Melson had been here for a week with a gunshot wound.
I was more than use to Nathan’s rants by now. I kept telling myself that he means well and he’s a patient so he deserves my respect. Even if he looks 16.
“You heed what I’m telling you, girl. I know you young people think you’re invincible, but I’m here to tell ya you’re not.”
I smiled tentatively at him. He was probably right, pushing the waters around here is really unintelligent. Just this day I had got into a verbal fight with one of his visitors...they had it coming and I make no apologies.
Another reason to trust him is despite his looks he’s over 100 years old, he’s done a whole lot of living.
My mind went fuzzy with the realization. I was sitting there in a hospital having a conversation with a 100 year old werewolf.
You’d think I’d be use to it by now, I took a year long class on the supernatural, but it still blows my mind.
Eastmoor, North Dakota. That’s where I was, or as I like to call it; Creep-ville. Sure it looks normal on the surface. Some people live their whole lives here and never have a clue.
Eastmoor, the supernatural hot spot. Most of the nations ‘monsters’ live here. It’s a huge secret with the government involved and everything.
The only reason I’m here and I know about it is simple. I’m a doctor and very skillful one at that, or so they tell me. The supernatural need check-ups too.
Most of the population is vampires and werewolves, but occasionally you’ll see a dragon or fairy, but they disguise themselves with a simple spell so if you were looking right at one you probably wouldn’t notice .
Personally I’ve only seen the wolves... well actually besides Nathan and his guest, who I’m not on very good speaking terms with, I haven’t seen them either. Of course I am fairly new, I just moved in a couple weeks ago. The rest of the medical personal told me that they keep to themselves and that we mostly end up treating humans. The others don’t usually find themselves in need of medical attention. Of course their victims do; if they get away in time.
Werewolves have the ability to never age and live forever, but they don’t. See the wolves’ main activity is fighting. Fighting for dominance. Fighting for order. Fighting for mates. Fight, fight, fight!
That’s one of the many reasons to stay on their good side. Another is that they could snap your neck with two fingers, or is that the same thing? One of the first things they taught us was never meet a wolves eyes for more than three seconds. Any more and they take it as a challenge, then you’re dead.
“I know Nathan, but they just act like they own me. It makes me crazy,”I mumbled hotly, maybe I wasn’t just talking about the werewolves. It seemed like everyone around this hospital was riding my ass constantly.
His face softened considerably.
“You remind me of my wife, Barbra-Joe, may she rest in peace. She couldn’t stand people looking down on her,” his voice had a sad tone to it.
I opened my mouth to say more, but he cut me off.
“You best be on your way. Wouldn’t want people to think you’re pickin’ favorites,” he scolded.
I nodded my head and expressed that he can call me if he needs anything.
Walking down the deserted halls, I blissfully thought how nice it was that my shift was over. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job, but a fluffy bed was waiting for me at home.
Exiting through the huge electric doors I shivered. It was early October, but in North Dakota it’s like a refrigerator outside.
It’s only a 15 minutes walk to my house and I always have Ellen, my room mate, pick me up. Unfortunately the car’s in the shop.
So it’s a death march through Spooky Town for me.
I’m probably being a little dramatic about it. If I don’t run into any vampires I’ll be fine. It’s completely illegal for them to kill or feed from an unwilling victim, but if there’s no body...
Just three blocks from home and I was starting to let my guard down. A little stupid, I know, but I’m just a human.
An ear splitting cry of pain rang out cutting the peace of the night right down the middle.
I’m sure everyone knows that stupid chick in movies that runs straight towards danger. The one who looks in the closet? I’m playing her tonight.
I took off sprinting down a dark alley searching for the person in trouble. The alley was surrounded by empty apartments. Most people live in houses; vampires only need one invitation to get into every room. Even if people don’t know about the supernatural, human instincts tell them they’re not safe. Which in this Town is nothing new... I just live in a house to cut back on the risks I take, like a diet, only a little more important.
Off towards the dead end of the alley a figure was laying on the ground. I judged him to be about 6’1” and well muscled. This guy looked like a tough cookie. Someone who could take a few bullets to the Spine and get right back up.
Fear enveloped me. How was I suppose to fight off something that could take him? I try to make to the gym a couple times a week, gotta keep in shape for the random ‘run like hell for your life’ moments. But if I’m being honest; afterward I usually go for ice cream so I’m sure the point is moot. This would be the part where most people would back off, but I couldn’t just leave him there. Damn me and my doctors oath.
Now that I was closer I could see he was young no more than 18 with red-orange hair. He looked deathly pale under his tan and a knife was lodged in his stomach. He lost a lot of blood, but it didn’t look as if he’d punctured anything. The content of most girls’ stomachs would be on the ground by know, but what can I say? Guts are exciting.
I needed to get him out of here, and fast if he wanted to live. His eyes snapped open when I bent down to touch him, they were crystal blue.
“Do you have a name?” I asked in a whisper. He was more likely to respond to something that he’d heard his whole life than; ‘hey dude, can you put pressure on the wound?’
“Michael,” his voice was hoarse and broke with pain. It almost brought tears to my eyes, but I needed to be strong for him.
“Can you walk, Michael?”

“I’ll try,” he whispered unsure.
I helped him slowly to his feet and supported as much of his weight as I could, which was basically nothing, as we hobbled towards my two level Victorian style home.
His breath came out in short pants, but hell, so did mine. He was heavy.
I kept pressure on his wound and unlocked the front door. The house was empty, Ellen had a date with this weeks version of ‘Mr. Right’. Ah, Ellen. A hopeless romantic to an epic proportion. It seemed like not a minute went by without her talking about true love, a fantastic guy she met, or someone she wanted to set me up with. She wouldn’t except that I wasn’t looking for my ‘soul mate’. In her opinion, that was what everyone wanted.
I helped him lie on the couch then reached for the home phone, my cell had broken a couple of weeks ago and those things are not cheap.
“No, you can’t call 911,” he groaned crazily.
I sighed, thoroughly frustrated, “Then who the hell do I call?”
“Ace-Ace Coleman,” he choked out.
I froze, it didn’t matter if I let the fear out now, he was clearly unconscious.
Ace Coleman, Alpha and temperamental werewolf that ruled with an iron fist. I had never met him, but we were briefed on a lot of important ‘people’.
If Michael wanted Ace, it’s because he’s part of his pack. I have an injured werewolf in my living room.
The injured part brought me back to reality, I descended upon the knife and got gauze, needle, and thread out of my messenger bag.
***
Fifteen minutes later he was all patched up and besides being low on blood he was going to be fine. Werewolves can take a lot.
I got up and started pacing around my home. It was currently decorated to look like an old wooden ski lodge. The second floor was just an attic, but it was good enough for me.
It was a good thing I had found Michael when I had, anymore blood and he’d have been a dead man.
I grunted unhappily, werewolf or not he had asked me to call Coleman and as a doctor I can’t just ignore him. No matter how much easier it would make my life...
Picking up the phone book I located his number and dialed. It rang three times before an angry voice picked up.
“Hello?” Someone rumbled from the other end.
The anger woke me up enough to decide to be pissed at this guy. Who talks to a stranger like that?
“I have a wounded werewolf by the name of Michael at 610 Fox Ridge St. Perhaps, he belongs to you?” I spit at him.
“Who are you?” His voice boomed menacingly. I hung up, if nothing else he’d get over here to kick my smart ass.
A moan sounded from my now ruined couch. He didn’t say anything for a few minutes.
“Now you’ve made him mad.”
“Oh good, you’re awake,” I drawled, ignoring his comment altogether.
His eyes met mine and after three seconds I looked away like a good girl.
“You shouldn’t challenge Alpha’s,” he frowned.
I gave him a half smile, “Yes, Mother.”
Michael let out a careless laugh. “I suppose I should thank you,” he gestured to the to the wound.
A loud pounding at the door saved him the trouble.
“There’s a doorbell,” I said sarcastically. Michael shot me a warning glance and I rolled my eyes at him. Either I had a death wish or I was on a strange high.
I straightened out of my sitting position and headed for the door. I swung it open revealing a very pissed Alpha.
He looked to be about 6’2” with an impressive build, dark sun tanned skin, and coal black hair. He was very attractive with high cheek bones and a hard jaw.
His emerald green eyes glared down at me. Everything about him radiated power and dominance.
While I was busy standing there; jaw dropped and peepers wide, firm large hands gripped me around the shoulders. Before I could react Ace slammed me into the wall. It wasn’t as hard as he could have made it, but my vision still went a little blurry.
His face was so close to mine I could feel his breath, he smelled of the forest. My mind was fuzzy and I couldn’t form a coherent thought. I just stared into is beautiful angry eyes.
A hand rested itself on Ace’s should. Michael.
"Ace, cool it. Let's not hurt my savior," he said in a calm voice and was very careful not to phrase it like an order.
“She saved you?” His voice was incredulous. I realized that a human rescuing a werewolf was a little far fetched, but hey, insulting! You don’t see me shoving it in his face that he gets held up chasing his own tail!
“This wasn’t exactly how I expected my night to go, either. If you had been doing your job I wouldn’t have had to step in,” I shot at him angrily.
His head snapped back to me. He growled with teeth and everything.
If I thought his power was overwhelming before it was nothing compared to now. It enveloped my mind and it felt like I was drowning in it. I couldn’t breathe it was suffocating. My mind went blank, my eyes rolled back in my head, everything was black, and the world fell away.

The Coleman Manner


I’m not sure how long I was out, but when I came round my eye lids felt like they weighed 5 tons and every part of me ached like I had taken a beating with a wooden bat.
I decided that opening my eyes was to much that heard whispering a few feet from me. I strained my ears to make out what they were saying.
“What did you do to her?” A males shocked voice breathed.
“Nothing! Well, I mean- nothing I meant to,” mumbled a familiar voice. Ace.
“Why’d you bring her here? The other guy sounded a little angry.
Wait, here? Crap, guess that means I’m not in my house anymore. Damn kidnappers...well doctornappers.
My mind started racing with all the possibilities, terrifying possibilities. I tried to keep myself in check. Werewolves smell fear among other things. And fear singles you out as prey. I am no one’s chew toy.
Sudden anger at being brought somewhere against my will gave me the strength to sit up and open my eyes.
I scanned my surroundings with care. It was a house, well kind of. If a mansion counts as a house. It all seemed so orderly and clean. I was on a comfy black leather couch in a larger living room that could sit at least 30. Through the double doors I could see a large dinning room that could hold even more. Past that, I could just make out part of a modern kitchen. Everything seemed to be decorated professionally and reminded me of a hotel. Only way more more homey, like a enormous family lived here.
Standing in the middle of the living room were two men. The first one was Ace with his tall dark handsomeness, not to mention his major fear factor. The second was just as well built as Ace and just an inch shorter. He on the other hand had golden shoulder length hair, hazel eyes, and were Ace’s face was hard and breathtakingly handsome this man’s was soft and attractive. He looked to be about 2 years older than Ace’s 28. Of course that’s just how old they were when they turned, who knows how old they really are. I know it’s creepy how I know Ace’s exact age. They taught me well. It was even on a quiz I had had to take to get a job at the hospital.
I focused my attention on the two werewolves who were staring at me. I’m not sure how I knew the other one was a wolf, just something about the vibes I got from him.
Ace took a step towards me, I met his eyes and gave him a look that said ‘back the hell up, homeboy’.
His eyes narrowed, I could tell it took a lot of his self control not to assert his dominance and force me to comply to his will- it’s a wolf thing.
He stayed where he was.
I averted my eyes from his. Sure I didn’t like him, but if he was willing to make an attempt; I could certainly meet him halfway.
The other man cleared his throat suggestively; both Ace and I moved our attention to him.
Ace shared a look with him, the man raised his eyebrows and his glance flashed to me and back.
I glared in displeasure, I didn’t like being out of the loop. Ace turned to me and took in my angered expression with one of amusement.
He stretched out a hand to me, I stared at it; unsure of what he wanted.
“My name is Ace Coleman, Alpha of the Local pack,” his voice was pleasant and polite, on the surface. I gave him a few points however, because his smile was genuine. I placed my hand in his.
“I’m Vivica Khan, doctor of the local hospital. You can call me Vivi,” I matched his tone. Perhaps the first part was snotty, but I ended on a good note.
His hand was rough and calloused like a man who wasn’t afraid to do his own dirty work. I released it quickly; my teachers had never gone into great detail about touching a werewolf, besides in the medical sense, but I assumed it was a big ‘no no’.
As soon as my hand was free of Ace, someone else grabbed hold. I turned to meet the eyes of the other man, who’s smile was friendly.
I’m Alex Ross, Ace’s second in command,” his voice was playful, but I could tell he was serious.
“Good to meet you,” I took a step back, so I could keep my eyes on both of them. “Now where is Michael?”
***
The second floor was all bedrooms and the one Michael was in was at the end of the hall. It truly looked like a hotel, each room I passed was decorated almost identically to the one before. I came to the conclusion that Ace got a lot of guests. (Alex had told me on the up the stairs that the whole place is Ace’s.)
I didn’t bother knocking on the door, manners weren’t as important as making sure Michael was alright. His super werewolf hearing would have already told him I was coming.
Michael was propped up in a plushy King bed with a red comforter under him. He looked much better, his color was normal and his eyes no longer held pain in them.
I strode over to the bed and glanced over at Ace and Alex. Correction- just Ace, Alex had apparently bailed when I wasn’t paying attention; leaving Michael, Ace, and me alone together.
“You can leave,” I directed my comment at Ace, while I examined Micheal's stomach.
I was momentarily shocked to that it was almost completely healed. Someone had taken the stitches out and it was nothing but an angry pink line.
A hard chuckle came from the foot of the bed, I looked up to see Ace staring at me incredulously.
“Clearly they taught you nothing in medical school- I can’t leave you alone with a wounded wolf. Without my presence he would hurt you.”
Now that I thought about it, I remembered something from school. When werewolves are injured, instincts take over. Instincts like kill anything that’s around you- it could be a threat to you while you’re hurt- or obey your alpha. You have to wait to treat them, until a more dominant wolf shows up to control them. Guess what I did-saving Michael- was more stupid than I had realized at the time.
“I wouldn’t...” Michael mumbled.
I ruffled his hair, I already felt a strong liking for him.
“Looks like you healed yourself. Guess I’m not needed,” I grinned at him.
A twinkle appeared in his eye and he opened his mouth to say something.
“I’ll take you home,” the words were harmless enough, but the way Ace said them was possessive and harsh. It made me want to slap his handsome arrogant face, I’m sure that would go over well.
I turned to face him and forced a smile. Everything would be much easier if he didn’t set me off like a box of fireworks. I’m not usually this suicidally reckless.
Without a word I walk swiftly pass him, making sure to only bump his shoulder with mine lightly. I was not about to let him get the best of me.
It was a long march outside, mostly because I could feel Ace fuming behind me. But I couldn’t risk a look back, not if I wanted to keep the upper hand.
Once outside I stopped, there was a large gravel drive way that lead to the road, and it had at least 15 cars in it. There went my plan of leading the way.
Ace however didn’t stop, he walked right around me and up to a huge black SUV.
Turning back to meet my eyes, his voice was amused and mildly irritated, “What, do you plan to do, walk home?”
I marched right up to him and gave him my ‘I mean business’ tone, “I’m driving.”
“Not a chance,” Ace breathed menacingly. His eyes were livid, his posture stiff and ready to pounce.
I had to struggle with my inner scared-y-cat to continue to meet his eyes.
“There is no was in hell I’m trusting you with my safety,” I stated firmly. Only after I said it did I realize my mistake; dominant wolves are protective, it’s one of they’re tools to take care of a pack. I’d said something really stupid.
In the blink of an eye I was crushed up against the car, Ace was pressed into me, his hand around my throat. His stare bore into me. I couldn’t look anywhere else. He made me want to obey. No, not want, need.
My hand gripped his of it’s own accord, prying it gently off my neck. He let me do it, there was no way I could have removed it if he had resisted. I’m no supernatural being with super strength. I’m just Vivi, the blond haired, blue eyed, 26 year old trouble maker from Wisconsin.
Ace closed his eyes and leaned away from me, making an attempt to breathe normally. I could see the outline of keys in his front pocket. Well, as long as I’m already being stupid, I thought as I reached to retrieve them He stiffened but made no move to stop me. I walked over to the drivers side with exaggerated slowness and put them in the ignition.
I heard the passenger door open and shut, so I put the car in drive and started accelerating out of the drive way.
When he didn’t say anything I risked a glance over. He
seemed to be a lot calmer and just as painstakingly beautiful. That’s when I saw something that made my blood boil.
Slamming on the brakes the car lurched and squeaked, Ace’s head snapped over to gaze at me with incredulous eyes.
“Put your seat belt on,” I snarled in obvious anger and disbelief.
He looked...stunned. Maybe it was because I had the nerve to order him around, or maybe he was amazed because I cared about something like a seat belt.
Most people would think my reaction was a little severe. Those people aren’t doctors. I’ve seen what happens to those idiots who don’t buckle up.
My parents had been in that category of ‘idiots’, now they’re 6 feet under and never coming back. At least I hoped they weren’t, the idea of zombies and vampires crossed my mind.
“Do you have a death wish, or do you just enjoy tempting fate?” He matched my tone from earlier and added a little ‘I can rip your guts out’.
I continued driving and answered him in a cold voice, “I don’t want you added to my casualty list.”
He was silent for a moment, not a long moment, but long enough to give me hope that he’d just drop it.
“Who else is on your list?”
“You’re not on it... yet,” I pointed out. The car was quiet and I knew he was waiting for an answer.
I sighed heavily, “Just patients. I’m a doctor remember? People die on my watch, it’s something you have to learn to accept.”
“Have you? Accepted it that is.” I could tell that he was mocking me, not in the obvious ways like sarcasm and silly voices. More in the way that his voice told me he didn’t think anyone could accept people dying as a part of everyday life. No not anyone, humans, it was clear to me in that moment just what his opinion of normal people was. But it went farther than that, I had a strong feeling he disapproved of females in my line of work.
I grew up in a small town that was currently in the Middle Ages, I was use to men who raised pitch forks at the very idea of strong women. Still I knew he had females in his pack, so it had to be a human female predigest.
Despite all my rationalizations, it stung, knowing he was just another one of those guys. I shook off the feeling quickly. I’d known him all of a couple hours, it shouldn’t matter to me what he thinks.
We rode in silence; whether it was because he sensed my anger or that he saw the tear that rolled down my cheek. It was just one, I don’t cry. Crying is for the people who can’t or don’t go out get drunk and start random bar fights, that’s the way to deal with problems.
I pulled up to the curb outside the house. I’d never been so relieved to see it in my life.
“Vivica-”
I held up my hand up to cut him off. “Look, we don’t need to talk. As far as I’m concerned helping Michael was my pleasure, so you don’t need to thank me or scold me or whatever,” I turned to meet his eyes. “After I get out of this car, you and I will never cross paths again. I don’t know what all happened tonight, but it doesn’t matter. The past is the past, I have enough to keep me preoccupied in the present and future.”
His lips turned up in a half smile that made my heart flip flop. “You’re wrong, we’ll see each other again,” it wasn’t a threat, but a promise. His voice held an edge of something. Satisfaction?
Before I could say or do anything I would regret, or worse something I wouldn’t, I opened the car door and practically sprinted up the stairs and into my home.

Melody



“Ellen,” I called into the silent house,“Ellen!”
A stereotypical Cherokee woman of 35 poked her face out from her scary neat bedroom. We had met on the plane ride here; she was moving back after staying with her family for a year and it was my first time here. We had hit it off and since neither of us could afford a vampire proof place on our own we decided to live together.
Her eyebrows raised at my slightly hysterical appearance, walked over to the fridge and got out the emergency ice cream without a word.
***

A half an hour later I had told her everything, and I felt a little lighter. Ellen was my safe house, she could keep a secret. She didn’t interrupt at all during my little story telling and afterward she just put in one of my favorite movies; Jeepers Creepers. It actually helped watching a horror movie, like saying ‘hey it could have been worse’.
“So,” Ellen said seriously, “was he hot?”
I groaned, “Yes, because that’s the most important thing you need to know to understand my story.”
“So, he was hot.”
“He also doesn’t think women have any business in the work force.”
That quieted her up, being a female paramedic was just as hard as being a female doctor. I got up and stretched out my aching body, I can only imagine how bad it’s going to be tomorrow.
“I’m gonna hit the sack. See you tomorrow,” after a quick glance at the clock I corrected myself, “today.”
I walked down the hall past Ellen’s room and on to mine. It was nowhere near clean, but I liked it this way; I could find anything by just looking at the floor. Sinking into my fluffy purple bed, I fell asleep quickly and dreamed of a man with coal black hair and emerald green eyes.
***
I awoke to the smell of eggs and bacon, an aroma that brought me to my knees. I ran as fast as I could out the the kitchen.
I sat down at the two person and stared at Ellen’s back, willing her to cook quicker.
“Hungry?” She giggled, probably feeling my gaze on her.
“Ravenous,” I replied.
She turned around with two plates full of breakfasty goodness, I think people in China heard my stomach growl.
We both plowed in, no time for talking, just eating. I glanced over the the wall clock in between bites, about 7:30 AM. I had work in half an hour, but I was seriously considering just spending the day with Ellen. She works the night shift, a night owl. Before I could say a word about staying home she pushed me towards my room with a stern face.
“Get dressed, save your vacation and sick time for some time when you feel amazing and can enjoy it.”
I groaned, mostly because she was right. Hobbling back to my bed room, I mentally went through my wardrobe. I had an idea of what I wanted to wear now I just had to locate it.
Ten minutes later I was clean, nice smelling, and reading to go. My outfit consisted of a just above the knees black skirt, ballet flats, and a red silk shirt. My style was more of a jean mini skirt and a t-shirt with a funny quote on it, but doctors don’t wear that to work.
I called good-bye to Ellen and walked out the door. Last night Ellen had come home with a rental car that the mechanic said we could use until our car was fixed, which was good and bad. Good because I wouldn’t have to walk everywhere, bad because its presence meant the mechanic wasn't going to get our car back to us for awhile.

***
Oh, what a day. I had volunteered to work in the emergency room, yeah I make bad decisions on a daily basis. A girl came in from a car accident, blood everywhere, the other two that were in the car died. Seat belts people! Anyway, I was working with a pregnant woman who had fallen down the stairs, no serious damage, just a few stitches.
By the time I got to the girl it way past to late and she’d been down to long. Her name had been Sasha Navode. I called it and told the surgical intern who had been working on her to take a break, she looked like shit. So there I was on my way down to the morgue, my least favorite part of the job. I stored the body quickly and started on my way up stairs to leave for the day.
Silent sobbing echoed through the halls, probably a family member of one of the deceased, I thought. I made my way down the hall to check it out, you really aren’t suppose to be down here without medical personal. Turning the corner I saw a Candy Striper, she looked to be about 15 with long red hair and freckles. She was crazy thin, kind of like myself, when she saw me she sprang to her feet. I’m a little taller than 5’8”, so she was about 5’7”.
She desperately tried to dry her eyes and hide why she had been down here, but fresh tears just replaced the old ones. After a few seconds she gave up and sank back down to the floor. I sat down beside her, while she avoided my eyes.
“What’s a pretty girl like you got to cry over?” I tricked her into giving me a small smile. “It’s a guy thing, right? Men, I tell you, if we didn’t need them to keep our species going...” This got a laugh.
“No, it’s just...some of the other girls...” she trailed off sadly. I wondered what she had done to get on their bad side. She was very pretty, so it could have been envy.
I put an arm around her, “Men are bad, but women will tear you down from the inside out. Are you new in town?” She nodded. “Just give it some time, you’ll find people who you belong with. Just forget these girls, no one needs bitch friends.”
I stood up and helped her to her feet. It was almost the end of my shift and no one was going to notice if I cut out a little early.
“Come on, sweetie,” she grinned as I practically dragged her out the hospital.
We walked over to the parking lot and I unlocked the door to the rental, a rusty old pick up. Despite my negative thoughts this morning, it was kind of growing on me. I loaded her baggage, which was enough to choke a horse. It consisted of two enormous duffel bags and a backpack. I made a mental note to ask her about it.
I started the car and looked over at the passenger seat, “I just thought to ask, what’s your name?”
“Melody, but everyone calls me Mel,” she said happily. I smiled, everyone deserved to have at least one friend.
“I’m Vivi,” I shook her hand, “Do you have a ride home?”
“I’m suppose to call my dad when I get off, but that’s not for an hour,” she frowned obviously she didn’t want to go back in there, not that I blamed her.
“Perfect, I’ll drive you home.” I didn’t leave it up for discussion. Rolling our way out of the parking lot I drove my way over to my favorite ice cream place.
Once we were parked I got swiftly out and turned back to see Mel still sitting in the passenger seat.
I raised my eyebrows, “Are you going to tell me you don’t like ice cream?” Melody smiled and followed me inside. I’ve met people who don’t eat sugar and stuff like that, but I’ve never lowered my self to socialize with them. So it’s a good thing Mel didn’t turn out to be one of those girls.
I ordered us a huge tub of double fudge brownie to share. Yeah, doesn’t that sound like heaven? It is.
Remembering the M.N I asked Mel in a casual voice, “So what’s with all the luggage, plan’n on running away?”
Her smiled faded and I instantly felt guilty for bringing it up, “No, I was suppose to go to a sleepover at my volleyball coach’s house, but...”
“What’s stopping you? It sounds like fun,” I said gently. I could tell she wanted to drop the subject, but getting to the bottom of this was only going to help her in the long run. Unless I give her bad advice...
She sighed and pretended to study her spoon, “It’s this girl, Missy, she’s... she rules the school and she hates me. No one will talk to me.”
“Missy?” I prompted.
“Missy Burkes.” I about choked on my chunk of brownie. The Burkes’ ruled the town. Mr. Burkes was a very wealthy divorce lawyer and Mrs. Burkes a very expensive trophy wife. I’d seen Missy working around the hospital, mostly princess jobs that involved no real work.
“You have enemies in high places,” I complimented.
Mel smiled tentatively, “She’s been making my life a living hell.”
I leaned forward, now this was something I could deal with. “You need to make friends with the people who have reasons to hate her guts. Quietly build your forces until the time comes to knock her on her delicate ass.”
A look of shock over came Mel’s face. I realized, one second to late, that that’s not the response most grown ups would give.
I stood up, “Come on it’s getting dark.”
The drive home was silent, but comfortable. I put on the radio and we were before singing
along to the familiar songs.
Every once in a while she would direct me down a street and before long we pulled up to a huge house in the middle of no where. I knew this place...I couldn’t place it in my memory. The plantation style mansion had all it’s lights off and I couldn’t see any movement.
“Hun, are you sure some one’s home?”
“I-I think so...’’
I sighed heavily, “You realize, of course, that as a certified adult I can’t leave you here unattended. They could revoke my license.”
After a moments hesitation I jumped out of the car and got my share of the bags. She followed my example. The gravel driveway crunched beneath our feet as we made our way up to the shockingly familiar house.
I pulled my black jacket closer against my shivering form. I had changed at the ice cream pallor into thin baggy gray sweats and a black ‘True blood’ t-shirt, not the warmest attire. I glanced back to Mel, who seemed to be perfectly cozy...maybe it was blond thing...
People usually wait for the person who actually lives in the house to get the door, so as not to seem pushy. It’s a useless practice in my opinion, didn’t they already invite you in? Shouldn’t you get the door for them, as a sign of gratitude?
The door opened with a creak, which would have made me laugh at the cliche`, but I was too busy with being scared out of my mind. This place was seriously creepy. Inside the feeling of deja vu was even more intense, it was killing me that I couldn’t remember when I had been here. I passed a large living room, it was nice and modern with a leather couch...
The truth hit me like a tun of bricks, if this is where Mel lives then...
I whirled to face her and tried to keep my tone calm, “Mel, is there anything you need to tell me?”
She looked down at her feet, “I guess you get why the other girls don’t like me...It’s not Dad’s fault, he just wants to protect me from the world, but he can’t protect me from them.” A light went on in my head. Mel’s not a werewolf, her dad is. That should of made me feel better, but I just felt sick for ever fearing her. She’d gone through enough without me making it any worse.
Her voice was so tortured and grave that I crossed the room in one bound to rap her in my arms. She felt cold, but not in an inhuman way, more like a scared little girl who had lost her way.
She started shaking with silent sobs. I sat down on the leather couch, that not so long ago I had been unconscious on after being attacked by her father. It only took common sense to figure out who her dad was, and that whole ‘protecting me from the world’ definitely sounded like Ace.
I cuddled her against me and just let her cry. Despite all my big talk, sometimes you need to open up the bottle of repressed emotions and let em` out. I felt very comfortable; holding her in my arms. It made me think about what I might have been missing out on, like getting married, being a mom, and annoying little grandchildren that you love, but want to strangle at the same time.
I had the feeling she hadn’t had anyone she felt comfortable crying on in a long time. My heart clenched painfully, someone needs to be taking better care of her. My thoughts went immediately to Ace, he hadn’t seemed like a bad man, more like a man who had no idea how to raise a teenage girl. Then again, did anyone? I remembered my own teen years, which really weren’t that long ago, I was awful to my parents. I spent most of my time avoiding them, unless of course I needed something they wouldn’t give me, then I was like the vengeance of God.
Did I really want to go through all that with a kid who wasn’t even mine? I glanced down at the beautiful little girl grieving on my shoulder, a shudder went through her and I gripped her tighter, already having decided that maybe a sidekick wouldn’t be so bad. She definitely looked like she was in need of a super hero.
The front door slammed shut. “Melody? Mel, are you hurt?” Ace’s voice was tight with anger and fear. In a blink of an eye he was standing right next to me. Normally I would have jumped in surprise, but I didn’t have the energy.
“Melody, why don’t you wait in your room,” I whispered in her ear. She nodded, stood up stiffly, and exited the room quickly. Probably a little afraid of the crazy look in Ace’s eyes.
I straightened and met his eyes, “We need to talk.”
***
Half an hour later I had told him everything, and we were sitting across from each other in his large kitchen, that was colored a strange color of green. His face was in his hand and he looked as if he hadn’t slept in years.
“Where’s Mel’s mother?” I didn’t want to ask, more than anything I wanted to wrap Ace up in my arms as I had Mel. Funny how much I liked him when he wasn’t annoying the shit out of me.
He gazed up at me through bloodshot eyes and his voice came out like a strangled choke, “Gone. The agreement we had come to was that I got to see Mel on some holidays...then a couple of months ago she dropped Mel on my doorstep and didn’t look back,” he continued in a growl, “She said she found herself a new boyfriend who didn’t like kids and she couldn’t let Mel screw up her chances.”
“And you slept with her!” I slapped a hand to my mouth, did I actually say that out loud? Please say no, please please please.
One glance at the incredulous/embarrassed look on Ace’s face and it was very clear that I needed to spend the next ten years locked in my basement with a sock in my mouth. Bad Vivi!
The next thing I knew Ace’s was laughing, no cracking up, at my expense! I so take back everything I said about liking him!
“You-you should see...your face!” Ace’s choked out in between violent guffaw attacks.
“I’m glad this is amusing for one of us...” I ground my teeth together, “Melody needs someone trustworthy, respectful, kind, and a good role model. So, until we find a human sized Barbie doll, she can have me.”
Ace raised his eyebrow and repeated my words with disbelief, “She can have you?”
“Yes, stupid,” I said with extreme slowness as if he were mentally damaged...well the jury’s still out on that one...
He leaned forward, putting his face inches from mine, “Are you implying I can’t protect my own daughter?”
I closed the rest of the distance, so that our foreheads were touching, “No, I’m saying you don’t know anything about teenage girls and you’re in way over your head.”
He held my gaze and I looked away out of common courtesy, he sighed, but it sounded like a thank you, and dropped his head to his hands like it weighed more than he could lift. Now that the threat was gone, he could relax.
“Let’s say I accept your help, what’s the plan of action?”
I frowned, “It’s simple really, Mel spends time with me; sleepovers and stuff like that. I’ll teach her to stand up to Missy-”
“You mean you’ll teach her to be a stubborn hard head who finds herself in compromising situations due to her out of control temper.”
“Oh, and what are you going to teach her? Hmm, how to be an annoying Alpha who acts like a big ‘man whore’ and goes around growling at women who defy him?” I shot back heatedly.
“Only because-wait, did you just call me a ‘man whore’?
I stared into his vividly green eyes, what would it be like to caress his beautiful face? Woa! Bad Vivi, no touchy, no thinky about touchy either.
His eyes smoldered and he moved closer to me, too close. I could barely breathe, a need to touch him enveloped me. I reached out a hand and rested it on his cheek, it hadn’t even realized I did it until I saw the hand-my hand- on his face.
I froze and waited for him to rip my throat out, instead he closed his eyes leaned into the out stretched hand.
We stayed like that for a little while, I was in no hurry to move. His eyes snapped open and gazed at me with an expression I couldn’t read.
I sighed, “I have work tomorrow.” It killed me to say it, but snuggling wasn’t going to solve all of Ace’s problems, especially the Mel related ones. No matter how much I wished it would.
He nodded solemnly and walked me to my car. He watched me as I found my keys and hopped in the truck. I rolled down the window to and opened my mouth to say good-bye, when I felt a sizzling warm presence cupping my cheek. It felt unbelievably nice to have him so close, I greedily wanted to get even closer. I reminded myself how bad of idea that would be and I reluctantly rested my hand on his and pulled it slowly and gently away; trying to keep skin contact for as long as possible.
“Until our paths cross again,” Ace whispered and disappeared into the darkness.
My cheek felt different from the rest of my body, more hyper-aware. The whole way home my mind was on Ace, it almost got me into an accident multiple times. I laughed thinking what I would say to the arresting officer, ‘Am I high? Something like that.’
When I finally arrived home it was all I could do to haul my ass to my welcoming bed and pull of my shoes before I sank blissfully into unconsciousness.

Stone Intern


A month had passed since Ace and I had had our confrontation. So far, so good. Mel had been over every night last week, for dinner and such. On some nights Ace would come with her.
Of course every time Ace did come over Ellen made a clever excuse for leaving us alone together. God, I love her.
I’m happy to report things are looking up; Mel comes home from school and work with a smile on her face and the bags under Ace’s eyes are slowly starting to disappear. I work quick as lightning.
I smiled as I swept through the door on my way to check on my last patient of the day.
“Hey, Mr. Melson-”
“Sit,” he said harshly and motioned to the chair next to his bed. He was looking at me strangely, like I had surprised him, and not pleasantly. Something about him screamed disappointed and worried, that’s why I followed his orders without argument.
He leaned closer to me and his brow furrowed. “You smell like him.”
My eyes widened, I could only guess who he meant. I opened my mouth to say something, but he cut me off.
“I always took you for a smart girl, and you are. But this, what you’re doing, is very stupid. Werewolves are dangerous to...get involved with.”
I could feel my face flush a horrible shade of maroon, “I-”
He held up his hand to stop me, “We’re a protective bunch, give us an inch we’ll take a mile. Alpha’s are worse. Their need to protect is consuming. You need to slow down, before you find yourself in too deep with no way out.” He continued in a more gentle voice, “Ace is a good man, but he can’t help what he is. What he is would take away your independence, and everything strong about you. It would brake both of you and I can’t just sit back and say nothing.”
I felt cold all over, “Are you saying I should...cut contact with him?” The words came out half choked and I wished immediately I could take them back. I couldn’t just drop Ace like a hot potato.
He just stared at me, “Perhaps you should be getting home now.”
I nodded and strode from the room without a look back. My insides felt all twisted and dead. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going, just that I was putting as much distance between me and the things I didn’t want to face as possible.
I tripped over something and went flying into a very hard wall. My vision went a little fuzzy, but I scrambled to my feet none the less. Turning towards the scene of the crime I saw a girl lying in the middle of the hallway. My mind wasn’t precessing things perfectly, but she was definitely there. I rushed to her side, and reached down to find a pulse. My hands were shaking so much I couldn’t be sure if she had one or not.
Staring into her fear-filled eyes I recognized her instantly, Jennifer Iden, the intern I had sent on break after her patient had died the day I met Mel. Sasha Nevode, the teenage car crash victim. My heart squeezed thinking about what her parents must be going through.
“Jen-Jennifer,” my voice shook and my speech was a little slurred. Damn, gonna need a CAT Scan...
She made no response to her name. I stumbled to my feet and held onto her arm attempting to drag her. I almost dislocated my shoulder for my trouble. She weighed a lot...too much. She was thin, and short, I should have been able to drag her even if she weighed 50 lbs more than she looked!
I was beginning to panic, so I called out down the deserted hallway for help. No one came. Turning back to Jennifer I placed my hand on her throat and for the first time I realized how cold she was...ice cold. Desperately I grabbed hold of her and tried putting all my weight into moving her.
Still in the mist of scooting her, my vision cleared, and I got a good look at Jennifer. Everything was stiff and...frozen; from her terrified expression to the arching of her back, something that never would of happened if she was just injured or dead.
I let go of her and brought my hand to my mouth to stifle the scream that forced it’s way out anyway. I had been putting all my weight and balance into pulling her, and now that she wasn’t holding me from falling I soared into the wall again. The back of my head crushed into the cement with a sickening crack. I felt nothing.
My eye lids fluttered and the last thing I saw before the blackness took me was a surgical intern who had been turned to stone.

***
I was really getting sick of being knocked out, the whiplash was a bitch.
I couldn’t really tell if my eyes were open and I was conscious or if this was all just a really intense dream.
I was back in the populated part of the hospital; Emergency Room. People were rushing around me like crazy. I almost shouted ‘hey, where’s the fire,’ but since I couldn’t feel anything, let alone my vocal cords, it probably would have ended badly.
They were preparing a bed...strange...It was then that I realized someone was holding me and it was the same moment that I got my feeling back.
My head felt like it had been lit on fire, the pain was unimaginable. The rest of my body ached, but I’ve had worse...I painfully moved my head to the side to see who was carrying me without permission.
Emerald colored eyes met mine, and instantly I was furious. I’m not exactly sure why I reacted so violently, it might have had something to do with Nathan’s lecture, or maybe it was the fact that I had just taken our relationship to the next level. Showing up when the other is hurt and saving the day.
I spasmed uncontrollably, trying to get on my own two feet, to regain some of my independence. Ace just stared at me with obvious shock, no doubt he could hold me no matter how hard I fought. His eye brows furrowed, still not understanding my need to get away from him. It didn’t take him long.
Realization dawned his face, followed quickly by hurt. My struggles stopped like he had flipped a switch. What good was freedom if I damaged the people I cared about along the way?
His eyes widened, probably wondering if it was really that easy to get my submission. I was partly wondering it myself, but I knew this was just one of the battles in the war to come.
“What happened,” my voice came out like a hoarse whisper, as if I hadn’t used it in months.
This brought an angry expression to his face, it was full of possessiveness, animal fury, and a little fear. What he had to fear I couldn’t imagine.
“You were,” he started calm but the last word came out as a growl, “injured.”
My memory came back and hit me like a bullwhip; finding Jen, trying to save her, then realizing...
Ace gripped me tighter, which was when I noticed I was shaking.
“Shhh, it’s fine, you’re safe. I’ll always keep you safe,” he purred reassuringly into my ear.
“I don’t think you’ll be able to keep that promise,” I groaned.
He froze and looked around for the threat. Without glancing away from his search he asked, “Why is that?”
I grabbed his chin and directed his gaze back to me, “Isn’t it obvious? I’m too much trouble to be worth saving, I hunt danger like you hunt rabbits.”
Ace’s eyebrows hit the ceiling, “Is that what you were doing tonight? Hunting danger?”
I shifted uncomfortable under his disapproving stare, “No, more like...running from it. Figuratively speaking of course.”
A nurse glared at us, “The bed is ready, put her down so we can actually help.”
An outraged growl burst out of Ace’s mouth, he put the nurse under his ‘death glare’. She squeaked and ran. What an idiot! The worse thing you can do is run when it comes to a werewolf. Only prey run. Ace’s body tensed, fighting his inner predator he walked to the bed and set me down.
Instantly hospital personnel was swarming me; hooking me up to machines and starting a Morphine drip. I knew I’d be feeling that in a minute, I glanced over at Ace who was watching all this through narrowed eyes. I kept my eyes on Ace while Dr. Uhane talked.
“You’ve lost a lot of blood, if Mr. Coleman hadn’t found you when he did we’d have one more body to bury.” Ace flinched, I wonder how he knew where I was...One better how did he know I was in trouble?
“Jeez, Doc, is that how you talk to all your patients?” I laughed, trying to lighten the mood.
He smiled, “I figured you could take a cold hard dose of the truth.”
“Oh, I can, but I don’t know about Mr. Coleman over here.” Dr. Uhane and I shared a chuckle and he exited to give me time to rest.
Ace pulled up the guest chair, rested his chin on his knuckles, and watch me expectantly. Probably waiting for me to sleep, so he can ask the Doc some real questions.
My eye lids fluttered and I battled with the Morphine, “How-”
He put a finger to my lips, “I’ll talk, you relax.”
“You mean go to sleep before you can answer an of the important questions,” I mumbled into his hand.
His expression was amused, “Just shut up, okay?”
“Is that anyway to talk to a lady?” I teased.
He sat back in his chair, “I understand; you already know everything I was going to say. I’ll just go talk with the doctor.”
“No!” I yelled as I tried in sit up quickly and was met with sharp agony. I cried out in pain, and the world went fuzzy. Next thing I knew I felt Ace’s warm hands holding me in place. He muttered something about an ‘accident prone blond.’ I kind of hoped he wasn’t talking about me.
“Please tell m-”
“Relax. I’ll talk, just please, be still.” He continued warily.“I was in a pack meeting when I heard you where hurt. I rushed here to find you,” he motioned to his nose and ground his teeth, “bleeding out in that back corridor, next to that thing. No one was even aware that you were gone; since you were here past your hours. I sent the fist wave of responders off with the...body, and carried you here, where you woke up.” He had calmed himself down towards the end of the story, but in the middle I had almost convinced myself he was going to strangle me for putting myself in that much danger. There was one thing that he didn’t answer.
My eyes were only halfway open and dropping lower by the second, everything was blurry and in a haze. “How did you know I was injured?” My voice sounded...exhausted.
He smiled, put cupped my cheek, and used his free hand to close my eyes for me.
“Nathan called me,” he said happily, why wouldn’t he be happy? He’d just won another battle. Although it was a pretty cheap shot, drugs were involved.
“Oh, did he know?” It came out like a slurred mess and I’m not even sure he understood.
“Sleep now,” his voice was very alluring and deep. It had me drifting even father away.
“Don’t...go...” I felt his rough hands stroking my face and then I sank into a devastatingly peaceful sleep.
***
I woke up in the passenger seat of Ace’s SUV, just as he cut the engine in fact. I lied there for a few seconds with my eyes closed.
“I know you’re awake,” he reminded me. Oh, right, supernatural senses...damn. I continued the cherade, moving just sounded so...icky.
I heard the door slam and in a matter of seconds he was opening my side. My head rolled to the side and met his eyes, then I closed mine. He swooped me up into his arms and walking. The back of my head was resting on his bicep, which gave me a great view of his face.
“Where are we going?” I asked dreamily, clearly the drugs hadn’t worn off.
“Inside,” he mocked my tone.
“Oh...okay.” I said brightly. He glanced down at me with a questioning expression. “I think...I’m...stoned,” I giggled.
Ace roared with laughter, “You think?” He held all my weight in one arm and opened the front door. That’s when I realized we were at his house.
“Wait, this isn’t-what about my bed? It’ll get all...lonely.”
He raised his eyebrows, “Do you really think I’m going to leave you alone in your...condition.” He said it with a whole lot of disapproval.
“You were alive during the 70’s, so didn’t you like...you know...” I trailed off with a blush.
He continued up the stairs, “It doesn’t work on werewolves.”
“That sucks, because I feel...amazing!” We entered a room I hadn’t seen before. It was decorated in blues and had paintings all over the place. Ace set me down a king-sized fluffy bed. I sank right in and enjoyed the softness.
I gazed over at a closet that was just full of clothes; suits, jeans, t-shirt, you name it.
“Who lives here?” I wondered out loud.
He sat on the bed and looked over at me warily, “That would be me.” Woa! I was in Ace’s room...cool.
I crawled over to where he was and rested my head against his shoulder, “Is this the part were you seduce me?” I could have strangled myself, this high was making me into an idiot! I couldn’t keep my mouth shut.
He laughed merrily, “Not tonight, I’m afraid.” He picked me up under the arms and dragged the covers over me, then pushed my head against the overly plushy pillow. “Go to sleep, the hospital has given you the day off tomorrow.”
I pouted like a child, “I don’t want to go to sleep.”
“Life is rough.”
I sighed and snuggled my body against the warm bed, maybe this wouldn’t be so bad...

His cold grey eyes stared at me from down the hall. He had his hand around Jennifer’s throat. She was screaming, calling for me to help her. His long sharp fingernails pierced into her jugular, where the nails touched became grey. It spread throughout her whole whole body. Freezing every part as a statue, forever stone. Lastly her face, a scream was trapped in her mouth. A cry the world would never hear.
He stood and walked over Jen, not sparing her a second glance. He was coming right for me. I yelled and screamed, hoping someone would hear me. I tried to run, to move, to breath, but I was frozen on the spot just as Jen was. He reached out and touched my face, his hands were like death.
“You will pay for what you have done,” he hissed before sinking his sharp teeth into my neck.  
“Vivi! Vivica, open your eyes now,” the words came as roar and I knew it was Ace. I felt myself shaking with fear from the nightmare, I opened my eyes to look upon the furious face of my prince.
When our eyes met he looked so relieved, like the world had been lifted of his shoulders. That’s about when I started balling. His bewildered expression just made my cry harder. He silently crawled into bed next to me and held me through all my tremors.
“I...didn’t...save her,” I wailed between sobs, “He killed...me...it felt...so real!”
“Shh, there was nothing you could have done. Your safe, that’s what matters,” He breathed into my hair. I shook my head violently. She had been my responsibility.
He sighed heavily, “Can you please let me win this one?”
“You win them all!” I cried.
He chuckled darkly, “Does it really seem that way to you? Do you think I like making you into something you’re not?” I went silent, I guess I hadn’t truly thought through his side of the equation. It must be terribly lonely, being afraid to fall in love, because of what it might do to the other person.
I rolled over, so that I could better reach his face. Sensing what I was about to do, he tried to pull away. I didn’t give him the chance. Grasping his head my hands, I welded our lips together. As soon as our lips met, I felt a need to let him take charge, to admit to his dominance. I fought it off. I thought of Mr. Melson, maybe there was a way to be with Ace and keep my independence. If all I had to do was be stubborn, I had this in the bag.
At first Ace had frozen, completely shocked at my sudden advance. Now that he’d thawed out, it was even harder to resist taking the submissive part. We thrashed around, both of us fighting with our inner natures. I knew I’d win, because when I met Ace’s eyes, it was clear he was going to let me win.
We settled into a peaceful rhythm, our lips moving as one. I smiled into his blazing hot embrace, and enjoyed my brief victory.

Compromise


I rolled out of Ace’s bed when the sun got to bright to ignore. I didn’t bother worrying about how crumpled my clothes looked from sleeping in them last night. Yes, I spent the whole night fully clothed, I’m not a complete idiot. Despite what some people like to say...Taking our relationship to that level without stopping to think about the serious after math, would be the stupidest thing anyone ever did.
Ace had gotten up way before I was conscious, so I decided the first thing I would do with my day off would be to find him. Which was no small mission in that house. Thank God for my photographic memory or I might have been wandering around for hours looking for the kitchen.
I found a disheveled Ace sitting at the table starting on his third coffee. I prepared myself for something that was probably going to be unpleasant. While I had been lying awake this morning, I’d had lots of time to think things over, and get a real plan going. That was always the hard part, but now, all I have to do is execute. In more ways than one, I thought darkly.
“How’s my favorite werewolf this morning?” I asked merrily.
He looked up from his cup and smiled at my lame joke, “Fine. How’s my favorite human?”
“Usually I’d be super excited about the day off, but I find myself in need of blood and guts.”
His brow furrowed and I was reminded of his beliefs. It didn’t bother me as much as it had at first, just another habit I would have to forcefully beat out of him... “So,” I tried for nonchalance, “how good is your sense of smell?”
He stiffened, and hesitated before speaking, “The best of any predator, in wolf form, in human I’m still light years ahead of you.”
I nodded like it didn’t matter, “Did you pick anything up...last night?” Ace was instantly standing in front of me, hand gripping my chin, forcing me to look him in the eye. His expression was somewhere between extreme wary and fury.
“You don’t need to worry about that. The pack will take care of it, and you will stay as far away from this issue as you can get. It was far to close last night, and I won’t allow you to put yourself in needless danger.”
I could feel my temper flaring up at the words; will, won’t allow, and needless. First, the controlling thing was a real bite in the ass. Second, needless? Tell that to Jen. I had never taken the time to get to know her, but she was still on my staff and therefor; my responsibility. Someone’s head was going to roll for this.
“It wouldn’t matter anyway, to be of any help I would have to be in wolf form. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you how this would endanger you. In my other form I’m more animal than I ever am, and given your talent to ‘ruffle my feathers’...”
“So, in short; you’ll never let me see you in wolf form?” I asked trying to lead the conversation away from my request. If he thinks I’ve given it up he’ll be more likely to let me be alone, so I can find someone who will help me. I ran through the possibilities...I was a little low on super smelling beings who didn’t care if I got hurt. Guess that meant I’d have to go S.S.B hunting. (Super Smelling Beings).
He nodded curtly, “Correct.”
I sighed heavily, and proceeded to sit at the table. I quickly grabbed his cup and took a huge swig. He smiled widely at my attempt to ‘ruffle his feathers’.
“You’re going to have to do a little better than that,” he scoffed.
“Give me time, pup,” I grinned at my annoying new nick name.
“Pup? Do you have an idea how old I am?” He raised his eyebrow.
“You were born in Iowa in 1934, you fought in WWII as soon as you were 18. After ten years you discharged and moved back home. Where you were...” I tailed off wishing I had stopped earlier.
“Turned?” There was no anger in his voice. I got the feeling he was impressed that I knew so much about him.
“It’s kind of stalker of me, but there was a course in college.” I shrugged.
He snorted, “There was a course on me?”
I groaned, “Not you! Just supernatural people of importance.”
“I’m important am I?” He said with a sly grin.
“I wish I hadn’t said anything. I can actually see your ego inflating.”
His lips touched mine gently at first then increasing with speed and pressure. I melted into his touch. All thoughts of revenge, for the time being, out of my mind. Looking back I think it that might have been his plan. Unfortunately for him I’m not easily distracted long term.
I pulled back and put a finger to his eager lips, “None of this. I have errands I need to run!” He raised his eyebrow, but I continued before he could get a word in. “You know, groceries; I’m seriously low on ice cream. Plus I could go for some therapeutic clothes shopping.”
“Should I...come?” Ace looked like the last thing he wanted to do was go clothes shopping.
So I put on a big smile and said in a happy voice, “Nope, I’ll call regularly, and I’ll take Ellen. She’s more prepared to take care of a clothes crisis.” The relieved expression on his face told me I had won.
***
As soon as I was in the car and safely out of hearing distance I called Ellen.
She picked up on the second ring, “Hello?”
“Hey Ellen, it’s me. I’m sorry I didn’t come home last night. I ended up staying at Ace’s. I’m also going to spend the day with him. You don’t mind, right?”
“That’s probably a good idea. I heard about last night, crying on a strong shoulder sounds nice to me, and I wasn’t mauled by a wall.” I could hear the amusement in her voice.
“I’m glad one of us finds that funny,” I chuckled sarcastically.
“Listen, take as much time as you need. I’m not exactly going anywhere.”
“No hot date tonight?” I smirked.
“Good-bye.” The click sounded that meant she had hung up. She’d bought my lie so easily that it made me feel bad. Maybe I should just let it go and go home.
I shook those thoughts off. Jen deserved someone to investigate her murder. I pulled out of Ace’s drive and drove to down town Eastmoor.
The 2nd day on the job I had met a vampire. He’d come in with a woman he’d rescued from a car accident. She hadn’t looked both ways before crossing the street...dumb ass. He stayed with her all through surgery and recovery, which meant we’d had lots of time to talk. He was so nice that I didn’t even count him as meeting one of the supernatural. To normal, not enough Dracula. His name, I’d learned after looking at his records because I was too intimidated to ask, was Charles Mendoza. He was a man of Mexican descent who dates all the way back to the Revolutionary War.
I wasn’t completely sure he would help me. Actually make that not at all sure. We’d gotten coffee a couple of times, and he use to hang around me in the hospital, but...It’s been months since we last talked. I checked the time on the dash; 4:27 pm. Charles owns Sunset, yeah I know, a vampire who owns a night club, clique`. He says that it’s the last place people expect to really see a vampire. When in reality it’s kind of their hot spot.
I parked across the street and hurried over before I froze my ass off. It was located at the end a small shopping strip, much larger than the shops of course. Some of the lights were on even though it doesn’t officially open til eight. I remembered him telling me that most days he’ll come in early to get some quiet before all the loud music and drunk people showed up.
I desperately hoped it was Charles and not one of his hungry friends. And me without my Buffy the Vampire Slayer weapons and outfit.
I pushed open the double door and was hit with the smell of alcohol. It wasn’t unpleasant, more alluring, like it was an advertisement. There was a medium sized dance floor in the middle of the room, surrounded by red booths and a few tables with chairs. On the far side of the dimly lit room was an enormous bar that was calling my name. The man who was wiping it down looked to be an inch or so shorter than Ace, with a good build, light brown hair, and strange grey eyes. They reminded me of rain and thunder clouds.
He gazed up from his work with an expression of confusion on his face, probably wondering why I was breaking in.
“Vivica Khan?” He chuckled like it had been years instead of months.
I lifted my hand to my forehead, as if to shield of the sun, and said in a highly sarcastic voice, “Brad Pitt?”
He rushed over to give me an encouraging squeeze and a cheesy grin, “No, but I’m told the resemblance is shocking.” Charles motioned me over to the bar and sat down next to me.
“The place looks nice,” I said glancing everywhere, but in his eyes.
“I heard what happened at the hospital,” his voice didn’t give his mood away so I was forced to meet his gaze. His brows were furrowed and he seemed a little angry, but it might have been my imagination.
“How has everyone heard? What, was there a news letter? Extra, extra, read all about an unlucky doctor who smashed her skull in...”
He sighed, “I’m afraid to ask, but what brings you down here? I know you didn’t come all the way here just to say hello.”
“It is good to see you-”
“V,” he interrupted impatiently.
“Fine, I need your nose. I want to investigate into who killed that girl, and before you say no, I’m going to snoop around anyway. I can do it with or without your help and protection.”
He glared at me, “You’ll be the death of me, Vivica Khan, if it’s the last thing you do.” I smiled at his obvious surrender and leaned in to give him a kiss on forehead.
“I knew you’d see it my way,” I said happily.
He captured my focus with his eyes and held me prisoner, “I will help you, but if I get the feeling you’re in to much danger, you go home. No questions asked, we do this my way.”
I returned his power stare, “You have yourself a deal Mr.” I held up my finger, “If you promise not to tell anyone what we’re up to.”
A smirk crossed his face, “Afraid of what a certain Alpha might do?”
I nodded cautiously, “To both of us.”
***
We clamored into my pick up and I let him drive, sense I technically owed him now. I asked him about the Club, but he said not to worry about it, someone was coming in to open it.
“So, do you mind if I ask you something very inappropriate?”
A smile tugged across his face, “You’re a very naughty girl, you know that?”
“Not that kind a question, well not about us anyway.” He motioned me to continue, “Are you seeing anyone?”
He choked a little, “W-what?” I guess that wasn’t what he was expecting at all.
“I was just curious. You’ve been around so long, you must know like every pick line imaginable,” I quickly covered my embarrassment at his reaction. I hadn’t exactly thought through what I was asking.
“I don’t know about that, but it does make it harder to...meet people,” he laughed.
I frowned, “How so?”
“I’ve been ‘around’ for so long that I’ve met a lot of women, they’ve all become the same to me. It’s a very boring life.”
“So you need someone exciting! I see...like a serial bomber or a FBI agent.” I was instantly caught in a day dream of Charles blowing up a building on their first date.
“I’m afraid the type of woman that would satisfy me is in short supply,” he joked, seemingly not affected by my geeky comments about his love life.
“I guess you now have my permission to ask me something personal or weird,” I sighed heavily, turn about is fair play.
“I may take you up one that,” he chuckled as we pulled into the hospital parking lot.
“I can’t believe I’m coming here on my day off...” God, I’m turning into a loser.
“I can’t believe I let you drag me into another one of your crazy plans.”
“Another?” I cried.
“You remember the time you forced me into helping you prank your coworker, Natalie Loyse?”
“You have a very selective memory, because you talked me into doing it,” I grumbled.
“Ha! As if.”
I got a lot of looks walking through the halls, but my determined and slightly angry expression kept them from messing with me. Just because we work together, doesn’t mean we’re friends. I took him to the exact spot where I had found her. It was really hard to even think her name, now that I was back at the scene of the crime. The body had been moved and my blood cleaned up. It was good to not to have to see it, but...at the same time I hated how it seemed like nothing had happened. Like Jen had never existed. The only thing that lingered from last night was the temperature. I felt like I was standing in a meat locker.
Charles walked around where Jen had been, his nose was wrinkled like he smelled something awful. Perhaps he could pick up something I couldn’t.
Finally he looked up at me, his eyes held concern, “You’ve got a problem.”
I frowned, “What is it?”
“Not what, who. I smell a warlock,” he growled.
I stiffened, so someone had done this to Jen. Someone with a soul, and feelings, and perhaps a family. I didn’t know much about the magically gifted, but I did know they were completely human. Just humans with powers. They are usually born with the gift, but some sell themselves to demons and get magic that way.
I don’t know what I had expected, some kind of beast. True, I didn’t know anything about Jennifer’s past but...what could someone do to deserve that? Nothing in my book, and I’m not exactly merciful.
There was only one thing on my mind, “How do I kill him?”
Charles raised his eyebrows, “Unless he casts a spell on himself, he’ll die just like a human.”
“Oh, good. Here I thought it was going to be complicated, so a gun will work?”
“You’re not serious,” he said disbelievingly.
“Deadly.” And I was. This guy wasn’t going to just get away with this, and there was no way for the police to trace magic.
“Leave this to Ace, alright? He’ll think of something.”
“I don’t need him to fight my battles,” I groaned.
He leaned closer to me. “This isn’t your battle,” he said gently, “It’s not your fault she’s gone.”
I sighed, “Have you gotten all you can get from here?”
“Yes.”
“Alright, then we may as well call it a night. I’ll think more on this tomorrow.”
***
“Ace?” I called into the seeming empty dark house. Mel had left two days ago for some kind of school related camp. I’d told her that if she came back pregnant her father would kill both of us, and sent her on her way without further questioning.
“Ace? I’m back from my day with Ellen.” Yes, I was taking the lying route again. I know I should probably stop before my nose grows to an unreasonable length, but what can I say? The scenery is beautiful.
“Ellen called,” a soft voice came from behind me. I whirled to see Ace sitting alone in the dark with his head dipped forward. It would have looked peaceful if his muscles weren’t tenser than cement. “She wanted to know if you needed a change of clothes for our day together.”
Shit. The jig was up, I could feel myself trembling at the barely controlled fury in his posture and voice. I’d been too blinded with my need for revenge to notice that I was playing with fire. Ace would see Charles as another predator closing in on his territory. On a more human note Ace would see Charles as a threat to me. No matter how friendly he was, he was still a vampire. It was pointless to think that Ace didn’t already know who I had spent my day with, I hadn’t thought about scent when I’d come back without showering extensively.
What must he think? That I’m having sex with a vampire? Guilt flooded me to my core. I shouldn’t have lied to him, even if it would have meant taking the backseat. He’d trusted me, and I’d betrayed that trust. I felt physically sick, like someone had punched me in the stomach.
I sat next to him on the leather couch, he turned away from me and the muscles in his back tightened under my touch.
“Ace, I-”
He whirled around to capture my face in his hands. His eyes were ten times lighter than his usual color. It felt like I was truly staring into an animals eyes. My heart clenched at the thought that I’d upset him to the point of losing control.
“Do you have any idea what was going through my head all day?” He hissed, “I looked for you everywhere. Then you walk through that door smelling like...” A choking sound came from his throat. He was trying very hard not to growl at me or to lose command of his inner wolf.
I leaned my forehead against his and closed my eyes, a sign of submission. The war for dominance would have to wait. I couldn’t just watch him struggle knowing there was something I could do to stop it. I’d probably pay for this in the long run, but I’ll deal with that later. Much later, if I have anything to say about it.
“I’m sorry,” I breathed, not daring to open my eyes.
“To be sorry you have to wish you’d done things differently. I see you lying to me and putting yourself in constant danger in the very near future. Again and again.” His voice was still a little strangled, but it was obvious me standing down had helped.
“How about this? I didn’t mean to hurt you in the process of getting what I wanted.” I opened my eyes and gazed into light emerald pools. We stared at each other for a long time before he broke the silence.
“I know you didn’t,” he breathed. I reached up and caressed his cheek. He leaned into my touch.
“Are you...still mad?” It seemed childish to ask, and not to mention the way it came out sounded like I was talking to my father after being caught out after curfew.
“Yes.”
“Oh.” He pulled my head to his chest, and held me tightly, like he was afraid to let me go. I wrapped my arms around his waist and squeezed him just as hard. “Anything I can do to help with that?”
“I’ll let you know,” he whispered into my ear. I felt shivers go down my spine at his closeness, not at all unpleasant. I raised my head so that our noses were touching. The heat radiating from his body was warming me to my core. I could tell that the fight was over, and we’d both come out intact. It wouldn’t be the last time.
I locked gazes with him and proceeded to say what I should have this morning. “I need to find him. I can’t just...let him get away with this. I don’t know why, but I can’t. I didn’t know her, I didn’t even like her. It doesn’t matter, no one deserves what she got. And I need to make him pay. If you keep me away from this...I’ll lose it.” There it was, what I should have told him from the beginning. He brushed a tear away from my face that I hadn’t even realized was there.
“I will let you do this, and the pack will help, but not at the expense of your safety. You don’t do anything without me. Understood?” His tone was very final, but it was the best offer I’d heard all day and I nodded vigorously.
His lips crushed into mine and I smiled, I was definitely getting better at this whole ‘compromise’ thing.

Captive


“Wake up, trouble maker,” Ace’s voice rang from just outside my consciousness. I frowned, ‘waking up’ sounded like a bad idea. No, going back to sleep was a better course of action.
“Go. Away.” I peeked through one eye and saw Ace looming over me with his arms crossed. I sighed, “You’re still here.”
“My bed,” he pointed out with a grin. I scooted to the center of the bed and threw my arms and legs out so I claim my territory.
“My bed.”
“You do seem to sleep in it more than I do.” My face heated up, much to my mortification, he laughed at my embarrassment. “No need to be ashamed, I like waking up to see you there,” he said seductively.
“I bet you do,” I giggled, as I searched the room for the bag of clothes I’d brought with me. I pulled on my favorite tight fitting jeans and a red top. I turned around to see Ace leaning against the wall watching me change out of my PJ’s.
“Enjoying the show?” I raised an eyebrow. He smiled and followed me out the door. I hadn’t thought about what we were doing.
“Where are we going?” I asked idly. It didn’t really matter to me, I was up for any thing as long as it meant spending the day with Ace.
“I’m taking you to work,” when he noticed how my face fell he added, “Then I’m going to stick around and see how you make a living.”
My whole day brightened at the prospect of getting paid to hang out with Ace. “I hope you won’t prove to be a distraction.”
I felt his hot breath on my neck, “I’ll be on my best behavior.” I turned back to to push him out of my personal space and found myself trapped in his embrace. I rested my hands on his chest and felt his muscles relax under my touch.
“This is behaving? What will the nurses think?” I teased.
“If half the rumors about the nurses at that hospital are true, I can’t imagine they’d mind.”
I swatted the back of his head, “It’s not just the nurses! It’s fun having shameful relations with patients. Just last week-” I was cut off with an outraged growl, and I couldn’t contain myself anymore, I completely lost it. My whole body convulsed with laughter, I couldn’t stop! Ace’s arms were the only thing holding me up right. Ace had actually gotten jealous, because he believed that I had been having casual sex with my subjects! “You knew I was joking, right?” I asked, suddenly serious. He looked away from my gaze, “Ace-”
“I over reacted,” he said, slightly ashamed. I took his face in my hands. I couldn’t even begin to imagine how  hard it must be to be a werewolf. You can’t get close to people for fear of hurting them if you lose control. All it takes is one moment of bad judgment or someone pushing you too far, and you do something you spend the rest of your incredibly long life hating yourself for what you did. It kind of reminded me of my job.
“You’re cute when you’re jealous,” I cooed, trying to make him feel better about his out burst.
“Jealous?” He scoffed, “Absurd.” I almost fell back into my laughing fit. Men, whether they howl at the moon or not, are all the same. I leaned in and rested my lips gently against his for a few seconds before pulling away. He looked disappointed at my sudden retreat.
“I’m late,” he opened his mouth to protest, “and you promised to be on you’re best behavior.”
***
True to his word, Ace shadowed me the whole day. It was a little unpleasantly uncomfortable when we visited Mr. Melson, but that rest of the day was amazing. It was a wonder that I got through all my work with Ace stopping me every ten minutes for a heated kissing session. Not that I’m complaining, it beats paperwork any day.
I was so happy with the last few hours that I even let him drive. He was very surprised, but pleased none-the-less.
Arriving at home, well his home, we noticed the lights were on. I spent so much time there it was almost like my home.
“Is Mel home?” I asked curiously. She’d been spending a lot of time at her new friends houses’, thanks to my great advise. I’m just cool like that.
He shook his head slowly, “She said she was staying over at Sabrina’s.”
“I’ll get the bat,” I smiled. It was baffling how safe I felt around him, even a strange intruder in our home didn’t bother me! Of course who would really worry about burglars when in the presence of a werewolf? It’s just not good sense.
He looked at me sternly, “Stay here.”
I shook my head, “Not a chance. If they finish you off, I really have no chance of escape anyway.” I got out of the car and started walking towards the house, with or without him. A warm hand grabbed my arm and pulled me back.
His green eyes showed were neon in the dark as they bore into mine, “Stay behind me.” I decided for a compromise, wrapped both my arms around his waist, and rested my head on his chest as we entered the house.
As soon as we were across the threshold, Ace visibly relaxed, he obviously recognized the scent. I could smell anything but Ace’s house, of course that was probably a human thing. We walked into the living room and my eyes widened, there were at least fifteen people in there! Someone forgot to send me an invitation to the werewolf convention. Just like always, I could just tell they were all wolves. My senses have gone way up for that sort of thing.
It was a mix of men and women, more men though, and every woman was standing by a man, were some men stood alone. In the middle of the room a man was tied to a chair, I couldn’t see his face, his back was to us. His bare back, he was shirtless.
“Is this the werewolf substitute for a pinata?” I asked dryly. Coming home to strange hostages just grinds my gears...not that it’s ever happened before, well no more than twice.
“What’s the meaning of this?” Ace’s voice was dangerously close the out of control. I peeked at him out of the corner of my eyes, he looked stiffer than a metal board. Everyone looked down respectfully acknowledging their Alpha. A blond man stepped forward, I realized after a moment that he was the man that I met the first time I ‘visited’ Ace’s home. Alex Ross, the pack’s Beta, or second.
“We found him trying to break into Vivica’s home. I think he might be involved with what happened at the hospital,” Alex explained. I tensed, at my house? Was Ellen home? Terror gripped me with it’s horrible teeth. If this werewolf was working with the warlock, and he was at my home, then...Someone wanted me dead. I couldn’t see any other explanation, even if the intent was to kidnap me, they’d have to kill me afterward, because they could bet their asses that I wouldn’t ‘keep quiet’ about it. Another thing confused me, why had they been at my house? Was Ace keeping a watch on me?
I felt Ace grow even more rigid beside me, fighting his temper. His eyes were murderous. Wolves are very territorial, and in Ace’s mind I am his territory. This wolf was threatening his ‘mate’, and the only punishment Ace’s wolf could see fit would be painful death. Never mind that we haven’t even had sex yet, and that I hadn’t agreed to anything permanent.
Ace stalked around to the other side of the man so he could better see his face, or punch it, I wasn’t sure at the time. I just hung onto his arm and let him pull me. I was more than a little scared and angry at this stranger.
He was of Asian decent and his features said so, I could only detect a small bit of American in him. His almost black eyes narrowed dangerously at me.
He smiled sadistically, “Hello, my sweet, I’m afraid I missed you earlier. I’m sure we can reschedule.” His eyes roamed my body, I felt dirty. I shrunk back, something in his eyes told me I wouldn’t like what he had in mind for our ‘date’.
With a start I realized I was shaking. No, Ace was shaking, well more like vibrating. His eyes were completely slitted like an animal, and I was thrown across the room with the force of Ace exploding out of his skin.
It happened so fast I barely caught it all, one moment I was by his side the next I was on the other side of the room staring at a wolf. He was almost completely coal black, much like Ace’s hair, except for one white ear on his left side. His eyes were...terrifying I couldn’t even look at them, he was far too dominant in wolf for that, some of that could be his rage, but most was just...Ace.
That thought snapped me back to reality, this wasn’t just a wolf, this was Ace. My Ace. I was blessed with the gift of being able to look him the eye. It was almost as if they were on fire he was so angry, green fire, but there was pain there too. A lot of pain and fear.
I crawled towards him, very slowly, I didn’t want to scare him anymore than he already was. I reached out and intertwined my fingers in his thick fur. I leaned in and rested my head on him. He flinched away from my touch at first, but eventually he turned and met my eyes. Shame, that’s what I read there. He was ashamed that I had to see him like this, that he had lost control. He still hadn’t relaxed his tensed position, ready to pounce on the strange wolf at any moment. I got a better grip on his fur and started moving him away from the wolf. He didn’t resist. Before long we were at the other end of the room, me leaning against the wall, him with his head in my lap.
The pack on some silent command moved the prisoner somewhere else, and a few minutes later I heard the front door open and shut. The house was quiet. Then I noticed Alex leaning against the door frame, wearing an bemused expression as he took in the situation. He took an unconscious step forward and Ace growled. It wasn’t one of those playful noises that he does when he’s pretending to be mad at me, this was real, and had nothing playful about it.
I stared into his eyes and flicked this nose, like you see them do in movies.
“Bad Ace. No bark,” I scolded firmly. That earned me incredulous looks from both of the werewolves in the room. “What? If you insist on acting like an animal, then I’m going to treat you as such.”
Alex smiled tiredly at me, “Why don’t you wait upstairs?” When he saw I was about to argue he continued, “It’ll be easy for Ace to change back if you’re not here.”
I eyed Ace, he looked exhausted, and was trying very hard to hide it. I stifled a sigh, if my absence would make it easier for him, then I guess I didn’t have a chose. Besides, it’s not like I’ll be far...
***
Back and forth. Back and forth.
I’d tried sitting for a time, but that was just way too calming, so pacing it is.
I’ve never been the patient type. I always say there’s no time like the present. So, you can imagine my displeasure at being cooped up for an hour in Ace’s room waiting for him to...Come to think of it; I have no idea what they’re doing. How long does this shit take? I suppose I shouldn’t be angry, I mean, changing from a large wolf into a large human does sound complicated.
The door swung open and I was disappointed to see a sweaty Alex standing in front of me. Not that I don’t like him, anything but Ace is a let down. Anything but Ace means more waiting!
“He’s asleep on the couch,” Alex sighed, “a forced change is...strenuous and he’ll be out of commission for at a day or two. Maybe less, maybe more.”
“Out of commission?” It came out like a squeak. What did that mean? In pain or... I shuddered at the endless possibilities.
He gave a reassuring smile, “He’ll be very tired and sore. If you can swing it; put him on bed rest. I understand you have a job-”
I waved it off, “I’m the hottest thing that hospital has seen in a long time. I can take a few days off, no problem.” Ace came first. Besides playing doctor with him might prove to be interesting...
He made a move to leave then hesitated and turned back, “He loves you, you know. I’ve never seen him this way about anyone and we’ve been friends since the beginning.” He met my eyes, “What I’m trying to say is; be careful. Let the pack protect you- at least until this whole mess is over. It’s not worth it, trust me. If anything were to happen to you...it’d destroy him.”
I nodded, shocked at his speech. It wasn’t what I had been expecting. Never-the-less I felt...warm and tingly all over. Sure the confession of love hadn’t come from Ace himself, but it was a damn close second.
“I’ll check in tomorrow,” and with that he left me alone with my thoughts. I stood there for a while, just replaying the words ‘he loves you’ over and over again in my head. Part of me was terrified, love with a werewolf? It was a recipe for disaster, but did it really matter? I could feel myself growing closer and closer to him each day, I was in far too deep to get out now. And what’s worse, I didn’t want out. I loved him with all my heart, and if that meant turning my back on my old life, then it was a small price to pay for happiness.
Coming out of my ravine, I was intrigued. I’d never actually seen Ace asleep, and it hardly seemed fair- considering how often he’d seen me. I descended the stairs very quietly, hoping Alex was right and he really was asleep.
Peaking around the corner to the living room; I saw him lying on the leather couch. It was a large piece of furniture, but no where near long enough for him. His feet and half of his calves hung of the other end. He only had on sweat pants and his bare chest was streaked with perspiration. His breathing was relaxed and even, like all stress and pain that he usually carried around had been wiped away. Ace’s eyes were closed and his was peacefully blank.
In other words- he was out like a light.
I tip-toed over to him and gently eased myself into the space he’d left unoccupied, like I said; big couch. Wrapping my arms around him, I snuggled myself into his heat. I was instantly tired, happy, and completely safe.
“Vivi?” His voice was hoarse and a little strained.
This time it was my turn to put my finger to his mouth, “You’re exhausted. Just relax, I’m not going anywhere.” In that simple sentence I explained everything, that I really wasn’t going anywhere, ever. This was where I belonged; at his side.
“You don’t have to make any promises to me. You can leave, I’ll- I’ll let you go. Don’t you ever feel like you...owe me anything.” I could tell it took a lot out of him to say it, and he meant every word. He would let me go if I wanted to leave. He was saying that he didn’t want me to go, but I’d probably be happier without him.
What a load of shit! How can he expect me to just walk away? It was very considerate, but completely unnecessary, and stupid. Like offering someone who was bed ridden and had less than two hours left to live two million dollars. What the hell are they going to do with that? They can’t and won’t use it, so no matter how thoughtful, it’s useless.
“Would you just shut up and hold me, already?” I growled into his ear. He leaned back and closed his eyes, while his arms held me in a firm and unyielding hold against his chest.
“What ever you want,” he breathed and pressed his lips to my forehead. “I’m under your command.”

His Mind


I opened my eyes to the late afternoon sun light streaming through the window. I felt fully rested and rejuvenated. I’d called the hospital late last night to inform them I’d be taking a  couple personal days. The nurse on call had been less than pleased to have to relay that message on the higher authorities. Not my problem.
Now I had the whole day to do whatever the hell I wanted. The possibilities were endless. Well except for anything that involved leaving the house. I couldn’t forget the reason I’d taken off in the first place. Ace. Who was surprisingly still asleep, with his arms clinging me to his side.
I sighed, his grip was rock solid. The only way I was getting away was if he let me, and until he woke up, he wasn’t in a position to do that.
Two options; lie here patiently, for what could be hours, and wait for him to wake up, or have a little fun. Smiling to myself I moved my face closer to his ear.
“Wake up!” I screeched.
Not even a flinch! Hmm, I guess it was time to change tactics.
Rolling over, I straddled his hips. I had to lean down to his face, because his arms would only allow so much movement. He was like a raccoon with something shinny; he just wouldn’t let go.
“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE,” I mimicked a buzzer at a basket ball game. His eyes flew open, and his brow shot toward the ceiling when he took in our current predicament. My face flushed when I realized I was sitting on him. How had that seemed like a good idea?
He folded his arms behind his head and grinned up at me. “Can I help you with something?”
I glared and ground my teeth together, which only made his smile widen. “Don’t flatter yourself, Sleeping Beauty. This is not what it looks like.”
He faked an innocent tone, “What does it look like?” Turning my red face away, I got up stiffly. He really could be a such a jerk! A cocky, furry, jerk!
“So, where are you keeping the prisoner?” I asked nonchalantly. His face froze into an angry mask. I figured that might be his reaction. Oh, well, I could certainly find it on my own. How big could that place be anyway?
I snapped out of my mental debate when Ace tried to sit up. He cringed against the sudden pain and I rushed over to place my hands on his bare chest. Carefully I pushed him back to his original position.
“You’ve had better ideas,” I scolded him.
“What do you expect me to do? Just lie here while you go in search for a werewolf that was stalking you?” He growled.
I sighed heavily, “What if I promise not to look for him?” It was the last thing I wanted to do, but if it was the only thing that was going to keep him grounded...Damn, I really hate waiting.
He eyed me warily, “And I’m just suppose to believe you?”
“Hey, this is a good deal, and besides, you’re not really in a position to stop me.” I pointed out hesitantly. This could go one of two ways...
His face scrunched up in obvious agony, he brought himself to a sitting position, and unlike last time, he stayed there. Ace smiled at me tightly. “Impressive, but still-” I was cut off by him suddenly lurching to his feet, it wasn’t pretty. He swayed a little and I instantly snaked my arms around his waist; taking as much of his weight as I could, but as we had found out with Michael, that wasn’t much.
“Would you just lay back down?” I huffed angrily.
“No.”
“I could let go,” I warned, “and drop you on your ass.”
“Go right ahead.”
“Let’s just try and get you to your bedroom, okay?”
“Oh, it’s my bedroom now?” He chuckled as I helped haul him to the stairs.
“Shut up and climb,” I grunted.
Fifteen minutes later we were stumbling down the hallway leading to Ace’s room. I was tired, he was tired. Not to mention the fact that I could no longer identify his sweat from mine. This whole ‘nurse’ idea had sounded better in theory. If I get out of this alive, I thought to myself, it’ll be nothing but the gym and strength workouts.
When we reached the bed, we both collapsed onto it. Well, Ace did, I collapsed onto Ace. We were both too exhausted to read anything into it.
Or at least that’s what I thought until Ace’s hands found my face. I rested my forehead against his, and stared into his eyes, drinking up the affection I found there. My fingers traced over the hard panels of his chest. He closed his eyes, and his mouth opened slightly at my touch.
He looked so much younger, and fragile, like my caress could break him.
“Ace-” Whatever I had been about to say was cut off by a sharp knock on the wall next to his wide open door. I whipped my head around to see the figure standing there. Much to my surprise, Ace didn’t even flinch, which highly suggested that he’d known he was there all the time. I furrowed my brow in frustration. Human senses, what are you gonna do?
“Hello, Yhan,” Ace muttered with out opening his eyes.
“He’s awake,” Yhan stated, all the while eying me with an indecipherable expression. He was clearly of Asian decent, and possibly a little Spanish, with a large frame only dwarfed by Ace’s. Unlike most of the werewolves I had met to that point, he wasn’t abnormally tall. He had a few inches on me, but with his muscles it gave him the appearance of being stocky. I’d put his age in the early thirties.
Ace sighed heavily, my body moving along with him. “You sure have great timing, Manchester,” he chuckled sarcastically.
“I’m sorry if I interrupted something.” In all my twenty-six years, I had never heard someone as not sorry as that compact werewolf. My mind processed that carefully, apparently not everyone in the pack was as accepting as Alex. I decided to talk to Ace about it later. One adoring fan at time, that’s what I always say.
“Are you planning on. . .questioning him yourself?” Yhan asked, his voice full of hidden meaning. It wasn’t wasted on me.
“Not in your condition your not.” I remarked coldly, leaving no room for argument.  
His fingers traced my cheek, leaving behind a trail of heat. His eyes were determined, with an underlining of kindness. “He threatened you.” He said it like it explained everything, and maybe it did. For him.
“So? Doctors get threats all the time, it’s in the job description. You just can’t save everyone. And it never fails that the people you can’t save have mentally unstable relatives...” Under the stubbornness in my tone was a deep sadness that I couldn’t keep out. All the faces of patients that I had lost flashing their way through my vision. I could tell you each of their names, their hobbies, what they did for a living, who their favorite teacher was.
I could even tell you how I killed them.

Ace’s POV
Her gaze was faraway, the despair I saw there brought forth my own. She had demons, that much was clear. So did I.
I wanted nothing more than to grab her and bring her back to the present. Back to me, and away from the ghosts that haunted her stare. What she had said about doctors getting threatened all the time shook me. Who would dare bring harm to her? She belonged to me.
I thought back to that night, only a few days ago, that I had found her cold and unresponsive next to a statue. My entire being shied away from those memories, I had thought Vivica dead, her pulse so faint that even I couldn’t hear it until I pressed my ear to her chest.
I wasn’t human, I was very aware of that fact. But what I felt for her went beyond love. Love, such a simple word, but it holds so much meaning. Wolves don’t technically love, we mate, and we possess. The human part of me loved her, adored her with all of my heart. She was stubborn, clever, with a enormous heart of gold, and she was utterly mine.
It didn’t matter to the wolf or the man that she hadn’t completely accepted me yet. I could be patient when called upon. The wolf, however, was getting restless. He fought at me, trying to weaken my resolve, but I knew she had to come to me. Any other way and I would scare her away. That was unacceptable to both man and beast.

Vivica’s POV
His eyes darkened considerably, but Yhan spoke before he could. “He’s more than capable, we’d never risk his safety.” Did I imagine the emphasis on the “we”? I whipped my head in his direction. His mouth was set in a grim, serious line but his eyes held a hint of mockery.
I practically leaped off of Ace and met him predatory stare to stare. His nostrils flared slightly, giving away his vexation.
“Is there something you’d like to say, Yhan?” I said through clenched teeth. His posture stiffened ever more at my tone and prolonged eye exposure. He took a threatening step forward and opened his mouth to reply.
“Enough. Both of you, enough,” Ace’s tone was pure Alpha wolf and left no room for disobedience. I found myself bowing under it, before I snapped out of it. Turning towards him I straightened my shoulders in defiance.
“You may be his-” I jabbed my finger at Yhan- “keeper, but don’t even try that shit with me.”
Ace’s eyes flared at the changed but when he spoke his words were unbearably gentle. “This is my job, these are my people. Do you expect me to sit idly by?”
I glanced back and forth between Yhan and Ace. What was more important? To win the fight or the war? Sacrifice or unyielding justice? I know what I would have chosen a few month prior...
“I want to be there.”
His eyes froze over instantly. “I don’t want you anywhere near him,” he growled.
“Tough.”
“Perhaps, I could propose a compromise?” Yhan injected himself into the conversation, filled to the brim with know-at-all syndrome.
“Yhan Manchester, there is absolutely nothing I would like more than to hear you blabber,” I answered with fake enthusiasm and interest.
“Go on,” Ace ordered as if I hadn’t spoken. Annoying.
“Your human could sit in on the interrogation; close enough to ease her worries, but not too close for her to be in danger.” Arrogant ass, he made my ‘worries’ sound like female nonsense. I won’t even go near the whole ‘your human’ thing, it made me see red. If anything he was my werewolf, not the other damn way around.
Yhan continued to lay out the basics of his ‘proposal’ as I started to fade from the conversation. It couldn’t hold my focus, nothing could. Everything seemed fuzzy, like it was going through different layers of wax paper before getting to me. I was growing wary of this argument, which was really strange. I live to joust with words.
My vision was the next to go, blurring over and then disappearing altogether. I had the vague impression something was talking to me. . . calling my name. I was past hearing, past feeling, past. . .everything.
Then he was there in my head, so very vivid. His thoughts were mine, his anger was mine. I felt what he felt or more what he didn’t feel. My consciousness dissolved into his. In those moments Vivica Khan was gone, as if she never existed.

Unknown POV
I could sense her in my mind, trapped by my power and will. Just like the two women in front of me. The only difference was that they were with my in a corporeal way and Dr. Khan just...was. Her terror pounded on the sides of my psyche, desperately fighting for an escape. I smiled at her helplessness, she would just have to wait. And watch.
I kneeled next to the leggy brunette, her breaths came out in horrified pants. She refused to meet my scrutinizing gaze or the glassy one of the woman she had killed. Marissa Hellem whimpered and clutch ever tighter at the sharp blade in her hands, still drenched with her companion’s, Ruth Lona, blood. Her nurses uniform was covered in it. They’d both screamed at first, but when they’d realized no one was coming...
My pleasure clashed with Vivica’s anger. I wasn’t enraged at the moment. Why would I be? This is exactly what the doctor ordered. The irony of my statement wasn’t wasted on me. This was the closest I got to happiness anymore. Taking Marissa’s mind had been easy, Ruth had never seen it coming. Even after Nurse Hellum’s knife had been lodged in her digestive organs she had just stared at her companion, completely shocked at what had happened. Then she was dead.
Hearing sirens off in the distance I cursed under my breath. I had so hoped to have more time with the victims. Sighing in regret at the haste, I clutched Marissa’s neck with an iron grip. The grey spread with excruciating slowness, keeping her alive as her inners turn to rock. All too soon it was done and I moved onto Ruth. She was already gone so I quickly touched her forehead to administer the magic. It went much faster, no point in torturing someone who can’t feel the pain. I could still feel Khan fighting inside my mind, trying against hope to return to her body.
I stepped back to admire my handy work, but the sirens grew ever nearer and I had to leave my two beautiful statues before I could completely appreciate the delicacy they offered.

Vivica’s POV
I felt cold so cold. And dirty, like I’d been rolling around in the foulest substances known to man. My head was stuffed with cotton, nothing coming in or going out right.
I wasn’t alone, that was for sure, I could hear voices. More faint vibrations than anything. It was like they were speaking a different language, Gibberish for one.
“Vivi?” That voice...I knew that voice. It was rough with worry and more than a little pain. “Open you’re eyes, sweetheart.” I strained against my heavy lids. Every part of my body felt limp with exhaustion, but still, I’d do anything for that voice.
“Ace?” My call was barely recognizable, covered by the hoarseness of infrequent use. I felt hands on my face, gently stroking, callous and well used. I relaxed against them. My eyes snapped open of their own accord.
His face was tense, lighting up in a way that was more wolf than man. Their were people all around me, some I recognized some of them from the pack gathering. I assumed all were werewolves. I steeled my back bone. I was so not going to show weakness in front of these people, well no more than had already been revealed.
I lifted my finger to run them across his hard jaw line, he shuddered against my touch. “You wouldn’t wake up- I couldn’t wake you,” his voice shook slightly, it was a few octaves lower than normal, a growl really. “I- I thought...”
“I’m okay,” gripping his face harder. “Or I’m getting there.”
It was only a partial lie, but his eyes narrowed non-the-less.  One woman was standing on my other side, she held a first-aid and a stethoscope. She looked a little uncertain with the things.
I raised my eyebrows and set my mouth into a grim line, “I don’t think so, honey. Go find someone else to play Nurse on. I can take care of myself and others. I’ve multiple degrees to prove it.” Okay so it was a little bitchy of me, but I was aloud some leeway after what. . .
No. I didn’t want to think about that. To think about him. Thoughts forced their way through my mind anyway. Oh, god. Those poor women. I had to get out of here, they merited more than to be left to rot in that alley.
Ace seemed to sense my change of mood and shifted me off the bed and into his comforting arms. I tried to resist, pushing at his embrace. I didn’t deserve to be held, loved. Who had held those women as they were murdered? No one. No one had assuaged them as I witnessed there demise, as I sat there and watched. I had been powerless to help them and it torn into me worse than any knife. I saved people, that was my reason for existence. How could I forgive myself for sitting passively by while two lives were taken in front of me? Lord knows I’d had people die on me, but never like that, never without a fight.
The truth of it was that I couldn’t and that was why I felt dirty. Nothing the warlock could do to me would compare to what I would do to myself.

The Catholic Stone




Ellen Dyer’s POV
“King me, baby!” I chuckled at Derrek’s sour expression. Sore Loser. It in no way affected his beauty. His hair was a deep chocolate, his eyes a bright blue, frozen water. Derrek’s facial features were just as handsome, not that I’d tell him as much. We’d been partners for close to five years, I’d seen him go through more girls than I would’ve believed possible. The last thing I needed was to open another can of worms.
“I refuse,” he retorted. A couple of my fellow paramedics sat around, snickering to themselves, watching our exchange. It was a slow night; most had taken off to spend it with their families. I shook my head mournfully. Wouldn’t that be nice?
I was over joyed to see Vivica with someone and so happy, but it did mean a lot of lonely days for me. I found myself sitting around the house, wondering when she’d be home. Damn, I needed a man.
“In that case, I’m afraid you must succumb to capital punishment.” I drew my index finger across my neck in a beheading movement. That earned me a wicked grin.
He opened his mouth to reply, but was cut off by the Chief’s angry bellow.
“Dyer, Stanton, I need you geared up. Now.” A pregnant pause, “Bring two body bags.”
Now that was strange. Had a call come through and we hadn’t heard it? Seemed unlikely, our ears were fine-tuned for that crap. People lived and died on our ability to do so. When Dispatch called, you had better be half to the truck. Nothing killed like the feeling of pronouncing someone Dead on Scene, knowing that if you’d been faster by just a few minutes...
And what about the body bags comment? We never just assumed death; get the paddles out, charge to two-hundred. Pump some Epi; they weren’t dead till I called it. I shuddered to think about what kind of condition the bodies must be in for the Chief to call it that early.
I sprang to my feet and headed over to the ambulance to help Derrek load her up. Wasn’t much to do, it saved time to have everything you think you could need already aboard. Stanton was almost finished by the time I got there, just seconds behind him. I shrugged and hauled ass to the passenger side. I hated driving those huge things. This was one of the reasons our partnership worked so well, he loved it.
I didn’t feel any eyes on us, despite the Chief’s unusual wording. Stanton and I were one of the most senior pair there, which said a lot about how many people were brave enough to work in health care in a town like that, so we were the logical choice for any high profile cases. High profile meaning; supernatural. I’d seen some messed up shit in my many years on the job, none of which I like to think about.
Wrenching the door open, I plopped myself down onto the seat. I didn’t bother with a seat belt, I needed to be able to fling myself from the truck as quickly as possible, no restraints holding me back. If that meant I had the potential to get a little banged up if- God forbid- something happened, then so be it. My life, for the lives of so many others? No contest, none at all.
I heard the engine roar to life and latched my arm onto the safety-handle. Derrek drove like a bat out of hell, stoplights and one-way streets were all suggestions in his eyes. My first night out with him I almost become a smashed window ornament. They would’ve had to get the spatula to peel me off when I started to stink. We had a little conversation about the letter of the law.
“Alright, Dyer, let’s blow this pop sickle stand,” Stanton chuckled grimly as he tore out of the garage at speeds to rival a space shuttle.
“Just keep this thing on four wheels. I don’t want to be late, because I had to shove your guts back inside your body.” I commented wryly as I watched the streets and people fly by at surprising velocities. “Where’s the fire, Medic?”
“The sooner we finish up, the sooner we can head over to Tony’s.” He replied, not taking his eyes from the road. Good boy.
“Alcoholic.”
He flashed a quick grin in my direction before backing up into an alley just a few blocks from the hospital, popular smoking spot. “Takes one to know one.” The ambulance hadn’t come to a complete stop when I threw myself form it. The balls of my feet stung from the sudden impact. I jogged over to the crime scene unit, frowning in confusion. Paramedics were the first responders, not back-up.
“Sarah,” I called out to a familiar blond. “What gives?” She turned to me, her face held an almost innocent quality that I’d never seen there before. The woman was a fifty-six year old shark, ruling her team with an iron fist.
Her mouth was set in a grim line, “We’re finished with the scene. Take the bodies to the morgue.” I raised my eyebrows in disbelief. She needed a body transport?
“Who pronounced them?”
She shook her head slowly, “Wasn’t any need for that....”
I cursed under my breath, “Are you crazy? We could have-”
“Why don’t you go have a look-see and tell me if there’s anything we could have done for them.” She snapped.
“Easy, Sarah. What’s go so shaken up?” In the back of my mind I noticed the rest of her team packing up to leave, departing with terrified last glances at one another.
She sighed heavily, her eyes darting in all directions frantically. “I-I just need to get out of here, okay? I’ll see you...” Her shoulder brushed mine on her way past; she didn’t stop to look back.
I locked eyes with Derrek as I proceeded toward the yellow tape, closing off the area. I ducked under it quickly and sucked in a breath as my eyes adjusted to the horror in front of me.
Making a sign against evil on my chest, I took it all in. Two bodies splayed helpless on the ground in front of me. The blood was everywhere, covering everything, like it had been spread around by something. One had a knife wound to the abdomen and the other was holding a steak knife, hard not to do the math.
Mt stomach clenched inside of me. It wasn’t the fact that they’d been turned into human gargoyles that bothered me the most, though that was part of it. It was the smell; to this day, I can’t really describe it. If madness and despair had a scent that would have been it. Bitter, metallic, sandpaper rubbing on my senses.
I flinched away from the hand that landed on my shoulder, then relaxed into it. “You okay?” Derrek’s voice was rough and woke me from my stupor.
I cleared my throat uneasily, “Let’s get them on the truck.”

***


Almost exactly three hours later, you could find me sitting in Tony’s Bar and Grill, staring resentfully into my half-empty beer. A soft shuffling noise that I barely heard above the roar of the bar signaled Derrek’s return. He was the only one brave enough to sit anywhere near me when I was in a mood.
Which I was.
“It’s rude to ignore people. Didn’t your mother ever teach you that?”
“She also taught me not to entertain strange men in shady bars.” I took another generous swig from the bottle. I was planning to get flat wasted and sleep off all the horror and gore. Had Sunday off anyway.
A quick glance at my wristwatch told me it was Sunday. I rubbed the exhaustion from my eyes wearily. What a night.
Across the room, I could hear the tap-tap of cues hitting pool balls. Tipsy women led their desires into the bathroom for a quicky. Men were arguing in slurred voices about whose sperm count was higher. Another typical night at Tony’s.
I’d been coming here since my first shift, everyone at the hospital did. We had the highest percentage of alcoholics in the state. I was right there with them, not wanting to spend any more time than necessary conscious. Life sucks whether you remember it the next morning or not.
Lurching to my feet, I clapped a hand to Derrek’s shoulder. His muscles flexed under my palm and I stifled a grin. Show off. I could feel his warmth through the cotton of his shirt, so deliciously warm. I hesitated for the barest second. The thought of taking him up on all his offers was an appealing one. He’d make me forget far faster than any brand of scotch would. There’d be consequences in morning, always were. But...
Shaking my head slowly, I allowed a smile to cross my face. Two mutated corpses and I was ready to throw my self-respect to the wind? Really said a lot about myself control.
“See you in the morning, Stanton.”
His eyes danced as if he knew what I’d been contemplating. “Sure?”
“Positive.” I patted his cheek a little rougher than needed and walk out of that bar with my dignity intact. At least I could hold my head up tomorrow. No confession for me, thank god.
The cold bit at any skin my jacket and jeans left exposed. By the time I reached the rental truck, my hands felt like someone had stuck little needles in them. Pleasant.
The pick-up was waiting for me, as I knew it would be. I had no idea what Vivi saw in it, the Camaro was far cool. Damn, I missed that car. Flinging open the door, I snuggled myself against the war interior. The engine roared to life beneath me with much of struggle. What a relief.
I pulled out and headed straight home, impressively obeying every single traffic law in the book. I’d risked my skin enough for one night, thank you very much. There was next to no one on the road at that hour. Who’s crazy enough to stay out late in a town like that?
In a minimum of twenty minutes, I was pulling up to the Victorian style two-story house I’d grown to love. The lights were all off, making it seem abandoned and lonely. I wasn’t practically surprised, I hadn’t expected V to tear herself away from her knew ‘happy family’ to spend time with me. Hell, I wouldn’t want to spend time with me. I’d been in a bitch of a mood for weeks.
Locking the doors behind me, I proceeded to the kitchen to grab a snack before settling next to the modest sized TV. The couch was like heaven for my sore muscles and joints. Worrying too much actually does take its toll on your body.
There was a slight debacle over where the remote was located, like there was every night, but eventually I found it tucked securely between the cushions. Switching the channel to late night/ early morning sitcoms, I relaxed and let my mind drift too far away lands where I wasn’t spending another night alone.

***



The loud, electronic beeping rang throughout the empty house, waking me from my sleep. I cursed silently as I narrowly avoided falling from the couch and into a big heap on the floor. I’m so a morning person.
As I scrambled to my feet, still wearing last night’s attire, the alarm blared as annoyingly as ever. I groaned and walked over the hard wood floors towards my bedroom. The door swung open silently, the only silent part about the house at that moment, and I walked over the threshold.
Vivica had told me that my space resembled a hotel room...after the house cleaners had been there. It was true that I had no posters on the wall, no pictures littering the place, no liter of any kind really. A trait passed on from my dad. Everything had a place, and nothing was out of its place. Sterile. Government Issue.
I slammed my hand down onto the clock, the noise stopped immediately. Good thing they made those things tough. I have a right with the potential force of a high-speed collision. Ask anyone. Well, anyone who’s had the misfortune of finding out...So, yeah, ask anyone.
Glancing at the clock, I resisted the urge to swear. I was so going to be late. Moving hastily towards the closet, I wrenched out my Sunday closes, long black slacks, and a crisp white top and grey flats. Professional, detached. Perfect for where I was going.
Five minutes later, I was sprinting out the door after quickly combing my hair and applying an appropriate amount of make-up. The car was right where I left it; I hoped right in and started her up. This time it took a couple tries and a little coaxing, but finally I was on the road again.
The sun was high in the sky that day, shining through my windows and into my eyes, making me wish I’d brought along sunglasses. A few blocks away, I pulled into a small parking lot and rushed to lock the door behind me as I sprinted up the steps. The building had been there for centuries, ever since people from the east settled this area. It'd been rebuilt at least three times in recent history. Recent being about a hundred years or so. As far as I know, It’s only had one purpose; Eastmoor’s only Catholic Church. This was strange considering how big the percentage of religious to nonreligious was at that time.
Slightly breathless, I took my spot at the end of the line of people waiting to be greeted and then waved to their seats. Same old, same old.
“Late again, Ms. Dyer,” I tsk tsk sound came from behind me. Whoops, caught red-handed.
“The Dyer’s are never late, everyone else is simply early.” I responded sheepishly. I turned to meet the eyes of a slightly balding old man with silvery hair and a potbelly.
“Dear girl, you’ve been giving me that excuse for nearly thirty years. I suggest you learn some new tricks.” His tone was admonishing with an undertone of amusement.
“As you wish, Father Keller.” I smiled at the man as we walk side by side into the chapel, his long black robes swaying restlessly. I took my seat as he made his way up the aisle. His speech was as inspiring as ever, he made a special shout out to the families of the victims of the Statue Killer. Apparently, that’s what people were calling him, how poetic.
I tried not to let my mind wonder, I’d been raised to pay attention to the word of the Lord, but as the good priest had said, I’d been listening to him for thirty years. It felt like mere minutes before we were all pilling out, I exchanged a few friendly words with the people I’d known my whole life, and then skedaddled as fast as I could manage. There’s only so much time you can spend with a certain crowd before being driven to insanity. I made sure to give my respects to Father Keller and promise to go help out at Sunday school; they were seriously low on teachers. I can’t imagine why.
I headed towards the truck across the parking lot when I heard the loud crash of metal crashing against metal. Craning my neck toward the alley between the church and the hamburger place, I squinted my eyes. I couldn’t see a damn thing.
Moving closer, I glanced around to make sure no one else had noticed the disturbance. Most of them had cleared out by that time, but no one who remained was looking that way. I stepped a few feet into the dark space, trying to make out anything out of place. A faint shape loomed past the large garbage can. It was kneeling down over something, but it was all too dark to understand what I was beholding. They almost looked...human...
In a blink of the eye, the thing was a little more than a yard away from me. I willed myself not to flinch. The first thing that hit me was the smell, far too complex, like my noise was being overrun with flowers. It made me want to sneeze. He was hunched over in a predator like stance; animalistic for all that, he was human. Definitely a he. In the small amount of light available I could just see his skin, it sent shivers down my spine. It was grey. It was...rock.
In that moment, his blood red irises met mine and for the first time in my life, I let out a shriek of true and utter terror.

Imprint

Publication Date: 07-07-2011

All Rights Reserved

Next Page
Page 1 /