Cover

CHAPTER –I

INTRODUCTION

I. Description of the title English language is closely associated with economic modernization and industrial development of most of the developing countries. Day by day, English language is gaining prominence over other regional languages. This increasing popularity of English has caused the extinction of some regional languages in the world. Today English language is gradually occupying the position of royal language among all other popular languages in the world, especially Chinese, Greek and Latin. The growing importance of English in every field of human activities demands the need to study this popular language and to handle it fairly in everyday communication. Obviously, English remains a ‘Lingua-Franca’ in India. Hence it remains essential to communicate in English language for various purposes including trade, commerce, utilizing library and day-today transaction.

The word ‘communication’ is derived from the Latin term ‘communicare’ or ‘communico’ both of which mean ‘to share’. Communication is a social phenomenon in which there is not merely transmission of meaning from one person to another but also it enables one to acquire, exchange, store, retrieve and process information for different contexts. The purpose of language learning is communication. Hubbard, etal, quoted Widdowson’s words in A Training Course for TEFL about language use as; “… when we acquire a language, we not only learn how to compose and comprehend correct sentences as isolated linguistic units of random occurrence; we also learn how to use sentences appropriately to achieve communicative purpose”(160). Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English defines the term ‘communicative’ as “able to talk easily to other people or relating the ability to communicate, especially in a foreign language”.

Today the phrase ‘good communication skill in English’ has become key word for success in every spheres of life. Communicative English involves all four language skills such as Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing (LSRW). This project is an attempt to study the relevance of introducing communicative English at the Post Graduate level to the non-major students of Manonmaniam Sundaranar University.

II Significance of the title Post Graduation is the level at which one need to master in his subject area as well as the allied subjects connected with his/her field of specialization. Sharma,Vandana observed in her article ‘The Art of Communication’ as; “Traditional assumption about academic knowledge as an end in itself has undergone a tremendous change in the present global scenario”(40). Growing importance of English urges our present generation to equip themselves with this global language. Many professionals in multilingual and multicultural, country like India have to face with many problems when they compete with national and international firms. In India, most of the states want to preserve their regional language and they give undue importance to teaching and learning a foreign language, especially, English in schools and colleges. Though English has got the position of official language and medium of higher education in India, still our educational system allows students to write their exams in their first language, even at the P.G level. Students with poor English background prefer to write in their mother tongue, because it will help them to score high marks in their university examinations.

For the protection of first language, some state governments are supporting mother tongue as the medium of instruction. In order to support this, they provide incentives also. For e.g.; Tamil Nadu Government distributes Rs 400-/- per semester for each Tamil medium under graduate students in any discipline at college level. National Curricular Frame Work- 2005 Committee has observed that “A student may be allowed to pass without English if an alternative route for English certification and therefore instruction can be provided outside the regular school curriculum”( Muthukumaran 56). All these conditions diminished the importance of learning English language.

In an article about a workshop organized by Educational Initiatives in Bangalore noted the importance of learning and acquiring language skills. Sudhindra noted an important suggestion evolved at the end of this workshop as; “Language is definitely a key to education, but research has shown that language skills also predict success later in life. In this information age, we want all children to be able to read, understand and communicate well” (5). Today, a person’s professional career and his progress in it are largely related to his communicative skill in English. Effective communication skills are needed for our rapid changing knowledgeable society.

With the influence of globalization, many multi-national companies are conducting recruitments in developing countries. They are looking for spirited, talented graduates with excellent communication skills, especially in English. ‘Good communication skill’ or ‘flair command over English’ is the well-known slogan in our job market. When looking at the condition of ‘job fairs’, our graduates are pulling behind or feared of their lack of command over the English language. It is noted that not only engineering graduates, but also bright students from arts and science colleges are selected by multinational companies. Srinivasan and Prisccilla observed this condition in their article ‘The Future of Arts and Science Education’ as; “the mandatory study of languages has already given arts and science graduates a head-start in the communicative skills needed in today’s world” (1).

The term ‘communication skills’ involves the basic, traditional skills like: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. These skills involve both productive and receptive skills. Most of our graduates in colleges and universities are good at their reading and writing skills which are called ‘paper skills’. However, they fail in their aural-oral skills, such as Listening and Speaking. This is because of the defective methods of teaching in our educational system. In order to overcome this communicative deficiency of our post graduates, it is necessary to introduce communicative English course with much emphasis on aural-oral skills rather than paper skills.

III Area of the study The researcher has selected First year Post Graduate students at Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli for conducting present study. This university offers almost twenty three Post Graduate courses under regular scheme in various departments. Among these twenty three majors, some students from both arts and science subjects opted for supportive course conducted by Department of English, M.S.U. This is an inter-disciplinary course which consists of 24 students from different majors like Tamil, History, Sociology, Communication, Chemistry, Computer Application, Marine Biotechnology, Commerce, Education, Criminology and Criminal Justice, Physics and Master of Business Administration.

IV History of English Language Teaching in India English in India belongs to no region or group. Dasgupta Prabal called it as ‘auntie tongue’ among hundreds of mother tongue (Kudchedkar 70). Though English is an alien language for Indians, it has greatly helped for our freedom struggle, development and growth of our country’s economy, mutual understanding between states and countries, development of science and technology, medicine, education, industries, literature, trade and commerce, etc. Now around 350 million Indians use English daily in their life. It is India’s national and international language of trade, business, commerce, diplomacy, education, fashion, government, science and technology, etc. Now English is “India’s virtual highway to the IT and other market” (Choudhury,Shreesh).

English in Colonial India Thomas Stephenson, the first English man had arrived in India in 1580. He wrote about the wealth of India, which was monopolized by Portuguese. In 1601, London merchants formed the East India Company under the concern of Queen Elizabeth. In 1757, East India Company got a charter from Mughals for administration and revenue collection in Bengal, Bihar and Oudh. In 1857, Queen Victoria declared herself as the empress of India. Thus English speaking administrators, army officers, educators and missionaries spread English throughout India.

British government made many acts and policies for the exploitation of Indians under the name of helping them. The Chater Act of 1813 provided an annual sum of one lakh rupee for the revival and improvement of literature and encouragement of the learned natives of India for the introduction and promotion of knowledge of the science among the inhabitants of British territories in India”( Krishnaswamy and Sriraman 44-45). English Education Act of 1835, put forth by Macaulay changed the whole situation. “English became the language of government, Education and advancement, a symbol of imperial rule and of self improvement” (Krishnaswamy and Sriraman 45). The then Governor General, William Bentick accepted Macaulay Minutes and acknowledged that, “the great object of the British government ought to be the promotion of European literature and science among India and all the funds appropriated for the purpose of education would be best employed on English Education alone” (Krishnaswamy and Sriraman 45). All the funds were utilized for imparting to the native population knowledge of English literature and science through the medium of English. Through this, “Macaulay wanted to create a class of people, Indians in blood and colour, but English in taste, in opinion, in morals and in intellect” (Krishnaswamy and Sriraman 46).

Woods Despatch in 1854 was an important land mark in spreading of English education in colonial India. It emphasized the need to use both English and vernaculars for the diffusion of European knowledge. It recommended for the establishment of universities at Calcutta, Bombay and Madras in 1857.

In 1902, Indian University Commission was appointed to study the condition and improvements needed for Indian education. It has passed Indian University Act of 1904, which decided the academic and infrastructural activities of universities. It bifurcated university, high school and primary education. By 1900, most of the educational institutions in India used English as the medium of instruction.

Calcutta University Commission of 1919 recommended the bifurcation of intermediate class from universities and to establish a separate board for high schools and intermediate in every province. It also recommended that mother tongue should be used as a medium of instruction in intermediate colleges. Abbot – Wood Report (1936-7) emphasized that mother tongue should be the medium of instruction up to high school but English should be taught as a compulsory language at the high school level. Sergeant Committee of 1944 considered mainly of primary education and reiterated earlier committee’s views on language instruction. It recommended that, English should not be introduced as an optional subject in basic schools.

Various policies adopted by British government for the promotion of their diplomacy and education helped greatly for the spread of English education and this created a class of Indians with strong groundings in English.

English in Free India After independence, the question of language became emotional. Government of India accepted Hindi as the official language but oppositions from non-Hindi speaking states forced them to accept English as the Associate Official Language of India. The first education commission appointed by free India under the chairmanship of Dr. S. Radhakrishnan (1948) recommended that “English should be studied in high schools and universities in order that we may keep in touch with the living stream of ever growing knowledge” (Krishnaswamy and Sriraman 59).

Language planning in free India has started only after 1960s. ‘Anti-Hindi’ riots in South India and ‘Angrezi-Hatao’ campaign in North India urged the government to implement three language formula in schools. This means that,

One should be taught at school a. the regional language or the mother tongue when different from regional language b. Hindi or any Indian language in Hindi speaking areas. c. English or any other European language (Krishnaswamy and Sriraman 62).

Certainly the government cannot implement this uniformly because of the oppositions form some states. In 1966, Kothari Commission recommended that Hindi and English should continue as a Link Language and English should be the medium of instruction in all major universities. It also made a point that language instruction should focus on skills rather than literature.

First English language Teaching Institute in India was established at Allahabad in 1954 with collaboration of the British Council and a Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages was established at Hyderabad in 1958. These institutions are established for teacher training, syllabus revision and revision of teaching methods and materials for improving the standard of English. Ramamurthy Commission suggested that three national level institutions such as Kendriya Hindi Sansthan (KHS), the Central Institute of Indian Languages (CIIL) and Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages (CIEFL) should be given the responsibility of the development of Hindi, English and other Indian languages with the consultation of Central Board of Secondary Education and National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT). It also made some specific recommendations about the steps to be taken to effect the smooth change from English to other regional languages. That involves “production of University level books in Indian languages and options to be given to students for taken examination at all levels in the regional language media.” (Krishnaswamy and Sriraman 68).


In 1987, Curriculum Development Centre (CDC) was formed by University Grants Commission. This CDC submitted their report in 1989. It recommended a more learner centered and enquiry oriented teaching methods in which, “the learner should engage himself in creative and divergent thinking, problem solving, self learning and to explore new avenues of communication, productive work as well as innovations through such methods as simulation, games, project work and the like” (Krishnaswamy and Sriraman 69) should be included in the curriculum.

CDC’S report on “A Note on New Curriculum” says that, the new undergraduate curriculum comprises a general English course and a special English course. To cater to the heterogeneous tertiary level student population (the range of linguistic competence in extremely varied, since students from both English medium and regional medium schools come together at this level) the General English course is conceived of as comprising of different units and modules suited to the different levels of learners. The patterning of the course is such that student depending on their linguistic competence at the time of admission, would not only begin their general English programme at different levels, but also reach different levels at the time of graduation. (Krishnaswamy and Sriraman 70)

The National Knowledge Commission appointed by government of India in 2006 recommended that English should be introduced from class I along with the first language with greater emphasis on usage of language rather than rules and grammar. It views that, people recognize that the English language is the critical determinant of access to and opportunities for a better life. Available information suggests that middle income or lower income household spend a large proportion of their modest income on sending their children to relatively expensive English medium schools. But there are a very large number of people who simply do not have the resource for this purpose. The out come is exclusion. …There is an irony in this situation. English has been a part of our education system for more than a century, yet English is beyond the reach of most of our young people, which make for highly unequal access. Indeed, even now, no more than one percentage of our people uses it as a second language, let alone first language. (Pitroda and Singh)

They requested the Prime Minister to formulate a National Development Council for implementing teaching of English language from first standard onwards, in addition to regional language. They felt that this step will ensure that at the end of twelve years of schooling, every student will be proficient in at least two languages.

Today it is difficult to think of success in any career without adequate proficiency in English language communication skills. Though our government has permitted the use of Indian languages in many national recruitment and admission tests, English is accepted as the common medium of examination which has a basic qualification of Higher Secondary. It is felt that good professional education and growth in careers like engineering, medicine, accountancy, business, journalism, law, mass media, politics, IT, etc. may not be possible without good English. In the words of Jayakumar, “gone are the days of Angrezi Hatao’ and the new slogan is ‘Angrezi Avo’ ” (34). In his view it would be right if we say that “ the teaching and learning of English has a state in shaping the future of India and the English teachers of India have a major role to play in it” (34).

Though English Language Teaching had a long background of nearly four centuries, it is still became a nightmare for educationally backward learners, especially in villages and rural areas. Now English has become “…an international commodity like oil and microchip and more than a quarter of the world’s people use English; the world has become a global village. English has become necessary for the mobility of social and economic success in the world today” (Krishnaswamy and Sriraman 25). This condition paved the way for the bubbling of spoken English institutions and courses almost every part of our country. Now it is flourishing businesses which provide regular and correspondence course with cassettes, CDs and books. Yet it is not sure that whether they achieve their goals fully or partially.

Some reasons for the pathetic condition of English in India lies in our defective methods of teaching, lack of specific aims in teaching English, importance given to literature than language usage in the curriculum, inadequate materials and lack of trained instructor. This made our educators think over and took necessary steps to reform our educational policies.

V. Scope of the Research Topic
The present research studies the communicative ability of non- major Post Graduate students in the Departments of Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli.

Tirunelveli is the sixth largest city in Tamil Nadu and very oldest city with a history that dates back to B.C.1000. Many archaeological excavations have been carried out since 1840s to till date. This city is famous for architectural works in stones and woods in temples which were built at the time of Pandyas and Cholas. Economy of this district is chiefly agrarian in nature. This involves cultivation of ragi, paddy, pulses, groundnut, gingerly, coconut, chilly, indigo and cotton. This district is gifted with mineral resources like limestone, sulphides and ilmenite – granite sands. Some industries in this city include cement factories, cotton textile mills, spinning and weaving mills, beedi companies, steel products etc.,

Manaonmaniam Sundaranar University and Anna University which are situated in this district fulfils the higher education needs of learners. Educational institutions in this city include, three Medical Colleges, 21 Arts and Science Colleges, 12 Engineering Colleges, one Law College, 148 Higher Secondary Schools, 6 Teacher Training Institutes, 508 Middle Schools, 1521 Primary Schools and 201 Pre-kindergarten Schools. Number of student outcome per year in this city include 18000 engineering graduates, 3000 post graduate in engineering and 27000 under graduates from arts and science college.

Students from Thoothukudi, Vidrudu Nagar, Nagercoil and Kerala come here for their higher education. Learners in these educational institutions have multi-cultural and multi-lingual back ground. These learners are in search of jobs in Tamil Nadu, or in other states or even abroad. So they need to have excellent communication skills to compete with global job market. Most of these students are coming from semi-urban and rural areas with their schooling in mother tongue. These learners have sound subject knowledge but they lack good communication skills in English language. This study tries to focus on this aspect of student’s inefficiency in communicative English and analyze the need to introduce communicative English for these learners.

VI. Theoretical Background of Communicative English When we acquire a language, we do not only learn how to compose and comprehend correct sentences as isolated linguistic units of random occurrence; we also learn how to use sentences appropriately to achieve a communicative purpose. (Hubbard, etal. 160)

There are a number of means of communication which help for the effective transaction of meaning. Human beings use language as a tool of communication for centuries because it enabled them to regulate their social behaviour .Communication is the ultimate aim of any language and speech is the prototypal form of communication.

Frequent studies conducted by linguists and theorists helped for the evolution of many approaches in language teaching and learning. An approach refers to theories about the nature of language which serve as a source of practice and principles in language teaching. There are different language approaches which came under three theoretical views, such as structural view, functional view and interactional view. Structural view focuses on language structure and structurally related elements for the coding of meaning. Main target of language learning is the mastery of language elements such as phonological units, grammatical operations and lexical items. Functional view treats language as a vehicle for the expression of functional meaning. It focuses on the semantic and communicative dimension than grammatical characteristics. Communicative movement in language evolved from this view. Interactional view seen language as a vehicle and a tool for the creation and maintenance of social relations.

Communicative approach evolved from the British language teaching tradition of late 1960s. It has faced severe criticism from linguists. But some central tenets of this approach were accepted. Now communicative principles in language teaching became the central goal of language teachers. International professional co-operation in business and trade increased the popularity of communicative language teaching.

Notional Syllabuses (1972) published by British linguist D.A Wilkins created a great impact on the different approaches in language teaching and learning. He proposed functional and notional syllabus based on communicative criteria. Many theorists conducted research in this field by applying socio – linguistic principles. The concept of ‘communicative competence’ put forth by Del Hymes, a socio linguist, was another notable development in this area. Canale further studied about this aspect and brings out four components of communication. They are grammatical, socio linguistic, discourse and strategic competence.

McDonald and Christopher proposed some implications Communicative Approach for teaching as,

1. Communicative implies ‘semantic’, a concern with the meaning potential of language. 2. There is a complex relationship between language form and language function. 3. Form and function operate as part of wider network of factors. 4. Appropriacy of language use has to be considered alongside accuracy. This has implications for attitudes of errors. 5. ‘Communicative’ is relevant to all four language skills. 6. The concept of communication takes us beyond the level of the sentence. 7. ‘Communicative’ can refer both to the properties of language and to ‘behaviour’. (21)

Communicative language learning emphasizes interactive language learning rather than mere memorization of rules of grammar, semantics, phonology or lexical items. It gives much prominence to student. He has central role in the learning process. The primary goal of teaching is to develop the ability of communication. Here language learning is contextualized and utmost importance is given to meaning. This approach is generally viewed as an active learning approach and active learning strategy.

Communicative language teaching provides much exposure to practice the target language. Here communicative development is predicated and it has slow but steady progress. Principal goal of communicative language training is to develop ‘communicative competence’. This is a broad term which includes grammatical (syntactical) competence, semantic (lexical items) competence, phonological competence, strategic competence (social appropriateness) and fluency.

VII. Relevance of the study
National Knowledge Commission of 2006 stressed the significance of language as a means of communication, medium of instruction as well as a determinant as access. From their study, they came to the conclusion that, an understanding of and a command over English language is perhaps the most important determinant of access to higher education, employment possibilities and social opportunities. School leavers who are not adequately trained in English as a language are always at a handicap in the world of higher education. More often than not, teaching is in English. Even if it is not, in most subjects, books and journals are available only in English. And those who do not know English well enough, find it exceedingly difficult to compete for a place in our premiers educational institutions. This disadvantage is accentuated further in the world of work not only in the professional occupations, but also in white collar occupations. (Pitroda and Singh)

English education has been a part of our educational system for more than a century. Yet it is beyond the reach of most of our youngsters. Free and compulsory education up to high school increased the literacy rate in our country. Educated youngsters are reluctant to do their traditional jobs and aim at white collar jobs. Thus there is a great competition among our youngsters in the job market. They are well versed in their subjects but are unable to express their knowledge in English.

Though we have a long tradition of English language teaching, we fail impart it successfully. Some reasons for failures are, 1. Aversion towards English rulers. 2. Lack of specific objectives and aims 3. Implementation of defective methods of teaching. 4. Defective curriculum 5. Different policies taken by British government 6. Policies of state government 7. Inadequate material 8. Faulty system of examination 9. Lack of clear cut policy 10. Crowded classrooms and shortage of time 11. Socio political problems 12. Lack of motivation among learners 13. Lack of communicative need

It is high time to change our attitude towards English language learning and teaching. As it remains an important link language between states and countries we need to use English in our day to day life. A person who can handle English at ease can manage anywhere in the world.
The selected area for the study is Tirunelveli district, which is a fastest growing city in South India. Some major industrial operations are undergoing in this city. The state and central government have agreed to set up Information Technology Park in this district and Indian government has approved Nanguneri as a Special Economic Zone (SEZ) for the promotion of electronic, telecom, manufacture of white goods and computer hardware, entertainment electronics, software development, agro based industries, food processing and precision engineering industries. Chief promoters of this project are INFAC India Group, USA and Axes Technologies Inc, USA. Many industrialist and entrepreneurs have been invited for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI). ATMAC Ltd, JTC Singapore and Jurong International Singapore have submitted their master plan for building industrial sector, which include ready built factories, custom built factories, unit of multinational corporations, science, business and hi-tech information technology parks. When this schemes are in full fledged operation it is expected to provide a colossal opportunity for about one lakh jobs directly and two lakhs jobs indirectly in Tirunelveli district and the adjoining district such as Tuticorin, Nagercoil , Virudunagar and Madurai.

Another important industrial development in this district is Software Technology Park of India in Tirunelveli district which is situated in Vasanthpuram-Tirunelveli bypass road. This STPI is one of the international gateways of STPI Chennai. Tamil Nadu Government has chosen SIPCOT industrial complex at Gangaikondan on the Tirunelveli-Madurai highway for the expansion of this IT Park. This multi crore project IT Park will provide jobs to a minimum of 10,000 skilled workers in the first phase itself. The staff reporter of the The Hindu gives an article entitled ‘Industrial Park at Gangaikondan’ reported that

The ELCOT M.D appealed to the Vice Chancellor of Manonmaniam Sundaranar University to start more courses on information technology and computer science in the university and the affiliated colleges to churn out skilled work force with excellent communicative skills in English in the next five years. Even plus two students with superior knowledge in English are being recruited by B.P.O companies with an attractive salary. Hence it as imperative that, the skilled workforce should have high degree of communication skill to impress the foreign companies. (1)

Recently TATA groups have signed a significant project of Titanium Dioxide Plant for Rs. 2500 crore in Tirunelveli and Tuticorin district. This project will create a job opportunity for 1000 persons directly and 3000 indirectly.

Nuclear Power Project at Kudankulam which expands Radhapuram Taluk in Tirunelveli and Tuvarikulam in Tuticorin districts also provide wide opportunity for our skilled youths.
All these national, international and multinational companies need graduates who are sound in their subjects as well as in their communication skills. So it is the duty of the educational institutions to equip our learners to meet the future needs of industries and the corporate sectors.

National Knowledge Commission 2006 (NKC) also recommend to establish 1500 universities to meet out the higher education needs of learners in our country. Now India has around 350 universities. To attain this goal, they suggested to invite foreign and NRI investment in the field education. This atmosphere will also create innumerable opportunities for academic non-academic and skilled professionals. At this juncture it is relevant to conduct a study on the present topic.

VIII. Methodology of Research
Interviews, observation and interaction with the learners and teachers are the methods used for entering the entry behavior of the current situation for the present study. For this the researcher has met the learners once in a week continuously for six months.

IX. Methodological Tools Methodological Tools used for this study are Situational Activities, Role Play, Brain-Storming Sessions, Group Discussion, Simulation, Public Speaking, Interviews, Problem Solving, Dialogue Writing, Personality Development, etc.
The existing scenario demands brighter communication skills in English to reach out the international customers as well as people from various walks of life. With an aim of developing the communication skills in English, the researcher has decided to use learner-centered activities to train the non-major post graduate students of Manonmaniam Sundaranar University. The highest degree of attaining communicative competence in English can be achieved through the learner–centered activities that are to be practiced in the class room. It has no doubt that the learners will definitely being interested in participating the activities as it gives no pain to the learners. The unique approach of developing communicative English at the P. G. level can never go without fetching the favorable result.

CHAPTER – II

COMMUNICATIVE ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHING AND OTHER METHODS

I.A Brief History of Language Teaching
Today, English occupies a significant position among the world’s most widely studied languages. Almost five hundred years ago, it was Latin which enjoyed the position of dominant language of education, commerce, religion and government in the Western world. In sixteenth century, after the political changes in Europe, Latin was gradually displaced by French, Italian and English. Latin got diminished from a position of ‘living language’ to a position of ‘occasional’ subject in the school curriculum. Methods used to teach classical Latin were adopted for teaching modern languages in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

By eighteenth century, modern languages began to enter in the school curriculum of Europe. They were taught on the same way how Latin was taught. They neglected oral proficiency of the language and gave training in grammar rules, vocabulary building, reading aloud and translation. By nineteenth century, this ‘Latin model’ of teaching became a standard way of teaching foreign languages in schools. Nineteenth century text book compilers tried to codify foreign language into frozen rules of morphology and syntax. They provided explanations along with rules and learners were forced to memorize these rules. Oral works were reduced to a minimum. A modified version of this approach to foreign language teaching became known as Grammar-Translation Method.

The Grammar-Translation Method
Johann Seidenstrucker, Karl Plotz, H.S. Ollendorf and Johann Meidinger are the major exponents of Grammar-Translation Method. This method was treated as an “offspring of German scholarship” (Richard and Rogers 3). In United States, this method was known as ‘Prussian Method’.

Major characteristics of Grammar-Translation Methods are, 1. First language is treated as the reference system for the learning of second Language. 2. Focus on reading and writing skills. 3. Vocabulary taught through bilingual approach. 4. Translation of sentences into and out of the target language. 5. Focus on accuracy and high standard in translation. 6. Grammar taught deductively. 7. Learner’s native language is the medium of instruction.

Grammar-Translation method dominated European foreign language teaching from 1840s to 1940s. During mid-nineteenth century, many opposed Grammar-Translation Method. This reform movement laid the foundation for the development of new ways of teaching language.

Language Teaching Innovations in the Nineteenth Century
Increased opportunity for communication among Europeans and other foreign language speakers created a demand for oral proficiency in foreign languages. Many “language teaching specialists turned their attention to the way modern languages were being taught in secondary schools.” (Richard and Rogers 5). Individual language teaching specialists like C.Marcel, T.Prendergast and F.Gouin had developed some specific methods for reforming the teaching of modern languages. However they have failed in their attempt to create a lasting effect in the history of language teaching tradition.

Reform movement in Language Teaching:
Marcel, Prendergast and Gouin had done much to promote foreign language teaching. They failed in their attempt because; of lack of wide spread attention, support and proper leadership. In 1880s, practical minded linguists like Henry Sweet in England, Wilhem Vietor in Germany and Paul Passy in France began to provide intellectual leadership. They emphasized speech as the primary form of language, rather than written words.

In 1886, International Phonetic Association (IPA) was formed and they have designed International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) to help the learners to transcribe the sound of any language accurately. Henry Sweet, a well known linguist argued for sound methodological principles of language teaching which should be based on the scientific analysis of language and a study of psychology. He set forth principles for the development of teaching methods in his work The Practical Study of Languages (1899).

They are 1) Careful selection of what is to be taught. 2) Imposing limits on what is to be taught. 3) Arranging what is to be taught in terms of four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. 4) Grading materials from simple to complex. (Richards and Rogers 7).

Late nineteenth century reformers shared theirs views about the principles of language teaching. They believed that, 1. Spoken language proficiency can be attained through oral based methodology. 2. Phonetic principles should be applied to teaching and teacher training. 3. Listening follows writing. 4. Words should be presented in sentences through meaningful contexts. 5. Rules of grammar should be taught inductively. 6. Translation should be avoided and mother tongue could be used to explain new words or to check comprehension. These principles provided a good theoretical foundation for different approaches to language teaching.
These reform movements created interest in the development of principles of language teaching and learning. These principles are derived from the rules of first language acquisition which led to the development of Natural Method and Direct Method.

Direct Method
Gouin, one of the nineteenth century reformers had attempted to develop a methodology, which was based on his observation of child language learning. During the late nineteenth century, other reformers were also concentrated on the naturalistic principles of language learning. L. Sauveur proposed a new method which aimed at intensive oral interactions in the target language by employing questions for presenting and eliciting language. His method was known as Natural Method. Direct Method, one of the widely used methods in foreign language teaching came under this Natural Method. Major principles of Direct Method include; 1. Classroom instruction in the target language. 2. Vocabulary and sentences were taught regularly. 3. Oral communication skills were built up in a carefully graded progression. 4. Grammar taught inductively. 5. New teaching points introduced orally. 6. Concrete vocabulary was taught by using objects and pictures and abstract vocabulary by association of ideas. 7. Speech and listening comprehension were taught in the class. 8. More emphasis given to pronunciation and correct usage of grammar.

This method was successful in private language schools. Though Direct Method was successful in attaining the goals of language teaching, it has some demerits. 1. If required native speakers as teachers. 2. If was largely dependent on teacher’s skill rather than text books. 3. All vocabulary cannot be taught in target language without a single use of mother tongue. 4. This method lacks a strong foundation of applied linguistic theory.
Reform movement in Direct Methods laid foundation for the development of British Approach, which was later evolved as Audio-lingualism in United States and Oral Approach or Situational Language Teaching in Britain.

II. Nature of Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching
Theories of psychology, philosophy and linguistics greatly influenced the reform movements in language during nineteenth century. Study of teaching methods and procedures in language teaching gained a central role in applied linguistics. Linguists have made various attempts to conceptualize the nature of methods and explore the systematic relationship between theory and practice within a method.

In 1963, American applied linguist Edward Anthony proposed three levels of conceptualization and organization which he termed as approach, method and techniques. He arranged it in a hierarchical order. In his term it can be argued that, techniques carryout a method which is consistent will be known as an approach. “An approach is a set of correlative assumptions dealing with the nature of language teaching and learning” (Richard and Rogers 15). It is axiomatic and describes the nature of subject matter to be taught. “Method is an overall plan for the orderly presentation of language material, no part of which contradicts and all of which is based upon the selected approach” (Richard and Rogers15). A method is procedural and based on selected approach. “Technique is implementational. It must be consistent with a method and therefore in harmony with an approach as well” (Richard and Rogers 15).

1. Approach: An approach refers to the theories about nature of language and language learning.

a .Theory of Language
Three different theoretical views about language formed the basis of current approaches and methods in language teaching. They are, Structural View, Functional View and Interactional View.

i. Structural View
It is the most traditional view of language which treats language as a system of structurally related elements for the coding of meaning. Audio-lingual method, Total Physical Response and Silent Way support this view of language.

ii. Functional View
It views language as a vehicle for the expression of functional meaning. If emphasizes semantic and communicative diamensions of language. This view originated from the communicative movement in language. Wilkin’s Notional Syllabuses (1976) revealed the implications of this view of language for syllabus design. The movement of English for Specific Purpose [ESP] originates from functional view of language needs.

iii. Interactional View
Language as a vehicle of interpersonal relations is the focal point of this view. Language is considered as a tool for the creation and maintenance of social relations. It includes interaction analyses, conversation analysis and ethno methodology.

b. Theory of Language Learning
Methods of teaching are evolved primarily from theory of language learning.

A learning theory underlying an approach or method respond to two questions 1. What are the psycholinguistic and cognitive processes involved in language learning? 2. What are the conditions that need to be met in order for these learning processes to be achieved? Learning theories associated with a method at the level of approach may emphasize either one or both of these dimensions. Process oriented theories built on learning processes such as habit formation, induction, inferencing, hypothesis testing and generalization. Condition oriented theories emphasize the nature of human and physical context in which language learning takes place.”(Richard and Rogers18)

Stephen D.Krashen’s ‘Monitor Model of Second Language Development’, Tracy D. Terrell’s ‘Natural Approach’, Charles. D.Curran’s ‘Counseling-Learning’, James Asher’s ‘Total Physical Response’, and Caleb Gattegno’s ‘Silent Way’ are examples for methods which are developed from learning theories.

2. Design A Design links theory with practice or an approach with procedure. It is a level of method analysis. It includes

a. Objectives of methods b. How language content is selected and organized within a method. c. Type of teaching and learning activities in a method. d. Role of learners e. Role of teacher f. Role of instructional materials.

3. Procedure
This is the last level of conceptualization and organization with in a method. There are three dimensions of a method at the level of procedure.

a. Use of teaching activities to present new language. b. The way in which the teaching activities are used. c. The procedures and techniques used for giving feedback to the learners.

III. Oral Approach and Situational Language Teaching
Oral Approach was developed by British applied linguists during 1930-1960s. Main proponents of this movement were Harold Palmer and A.S. Hornby. They have attempted to develop a scientific foundation for an Oral Approach to teaching English. In 1950s Oral Approach become an accepted British Approach to English language teaching. Main characteristics of Oral Approach are, 1. Language teaching starts with spoken language. 2. Target language is used as the medium of instruction in class room. 3. New language points are introduced situationally. 4. Grammatical items are graded from simple to complex. 5. Reading and writing are introduced only after the learner is through with sufficient lexical and grammatical basis.

Situational Language Teaching was based on the behaviorist habit-learning theory. It aims at developing good practical command over the four basic skills of language. These skills are practiced by using structures which are linked to a situation. “Speech was regarded as the basis of language and structure was viewed as being at the heart of speaking ability” (Richard and Rogers 35). “Guided repetition, and substitution activities, including chorus repetition, dictation, drills and controlled oral based reading and writing task” (Richard and Rogers 38) are same of the techniques used for developing language skills.

IV. Audio lingual Method
Audio lingual method was developed by professors of American Universities as a language programme for military personnel at the time of world war-II. This method is also known as Army Specialized Training Programme [ASTP]. This Programme was brought out as a combination of structural linguistic theory, aural-oral procedures and behaviorist psychology. The term ‘audiolingualism’ was coined by Prof. Nelson Brooks in 1964.

Brooks distinguished two types of objectives for language learning. They are called short range and long range objectives. Short range objectives are immediate objectives such as training in listening comprehension, accurate pronunciation, recognition of speech symbols and the ability to reproduce these symbols in writing. Long range objectives include use of language as used by native speakers. It taught language “by systematic attention to pronunciation and by intensive oral drilling of its basic sentence patterns. Pattern practice was a basic classroom technique” (Richard and Rogers 46).

Audio-lingual syllabus contains key terms in phonology, morphology and syntax of language. Dialogue and drill practice are the basic of audio-lingual classroom practice. “Learners are viewed as organisms which can be directed by skilled training technique to produce correct responses”. (Richard and Rogers 56). It is a teacher dominated method. Instructional materials help the teachers to develop language mastery in the learners. Tape- reorder and audio-visual equipments play key roles in this method.

IV. Total Physical Response [TPR]
In Total Physical Response method, language is taught through the co-ordination of speech and action. If attempts to teach language through physical activity. James Asher, professor of Psychology at San Jose State University, California developed this method. It attributes much to developmental psychology, learning theories, humanities pedagogy and language teaching procedures proposed by Harold and Dorothy Palmer in 1925. This method is linked to trace theory of memory in psychology.

Asher compares adult’s second language learning with that of child’s first language acquisition. He stood for developing comprehension skills before the learner is taught to speak. This leads to a movement in foreign language teaching known as Comprehension Approach.

Asher developed TPR drills on the basic of spiritualist view of language. He believed that imperative verb is the main linguistic motif around which language use and language learning are organized. Asher’s theory took its base on three hypotheses.

1. An ‘Innate Bio-program’ is needed for language development. 2. Brain lateralization defines learning functions. 3. Stress act as an affective filter between the act of learning and what is to be learned.

In TPR, learners acts as a listener and performer. Teachers have to play an active and dissect role. Here “the instructors is the director of a stage play in which the students are the actors” (Richard and Rogers 93). VI. The Silent Way
Caleb Gattengno devised the Silent Way Method. In his view “teacher should be silent as much as possible in the classroom and the learners should be encouraged to produce as much as language as possible” (Richard and Rogers 99). Gattengno’s method is based on three hypotheses.

1. creation or discoveries facilitate learning rather than memorizing and repeating what is to be learned. 2. Learning is facilitated by physical objects. 3. Learning is facilitated by problem solving.

Gattengno believes that “language itself as a substitute for experience, so experience is what gives meaning to language” (Richard and Rogers 101). Silent Way takes structural approach to the organization of language materials. It separates language from its social context and teaches through artificial situations. He recommends that learners need to “return to the state of mind that characterizes a baby’s learning-surrender” (Richard and Rogers 102). He views that successful learning involves commitment to the self and to language acquisition through the use of silent awareness and an active trial. He considered silence as the best vehicle for learning. Obviously, it becomes true because “in silence students concentrate on the task to be accomplished and potential means of its accomplishments” (Richards and Rogers 102). It aims at developing independence, autonomy and responsibility among learners. Teachers act as facilitator of suitable environment which will encourage the learners to take risk. Here teachers need to use pictures, charts, gestures, etc. in order to elicit meaning and response from the learners.

VII. Community Language Learning [CLL]
Charles, A. Curran and his associates developed this method. Curran was a Counseling Specialist and Psychology Professor at Loyola University, Chicago. His application of psychological principles to learning was known as ‘counseling learning’. Community Language Learning comes under humanistic approach. CLL derives its primary insight from Rogerian counseling. Here Curran applied ‘client-counselor’ relationship in psychological counseling with ‘learner-knower’ relationship in language teaching. He advocates holistic approach to language teaching.

In Community Language Learning, learners are considered to be the members of the community. Learning is a collaborative activity in which, learners are expected to listen to the knower and share their views and feelings. Learners are divided into small groups of six to twelve members, provided with knowers. Community Language Learning compares the process of learning with various stages of development of the child.

Infant: In this stage, learner depends completely on the knower. Independence from parents: Learners establish their own self affirmation and independence by using simple expressions that they had learned. Separate existence stage: Learners begin to understand the target language. Adolescence: Learners function independently. Independent stage: Learners began to use grammatically correct language.

In CLL method, the knower or teacher should have thorough knowledge in both first language and second language and principles of psychological counseling.

VIII. The Natural Approach
Tracy Terrell, Spanish teacher in California proposed this Natural Approach to language learning. In 1983, Terrell and Stephen Krashen jointly published a book entitled The Natural Approach. They have identified Natural Approach with traditional approaches to language teaching.

Natural Method in often confused with Natural Approach. These two terms are different. Natural Method is the oldest from of Direct Method, but Natural Approach is based on the Principles of second language acquisition. Unlike Direct Method, Natural Approach provides less emphasis on teacher monologue, direct repetition and formal question and answer. It gives importance to exposure and input rather than practice. Developing communicative abilities in the learners are the primary focus of this approach. Natural Approach is an example for Communicative Approach.

Krashen and Terrel give little attention to theory of language. They stressed the importance of vocabulary because they believed that language is essentially lexicon, and grammar determines how this lexicon is exploited to produce messages. They viewed language as a vehicle for communicating meaning and messages. Principal tenets of Natural Approach include 1. Acquisition or learning hypothesis 2. Monitor hypothesis 3. Natural order hypothesis. 4. Input hypothesis. 5. Affective Filter hypothesis.

Krashen and Terrel list out goals of language teaching under four areas.
1. Basic personal communication skills [Oral] 2. Basic personal Communication skills [Written]
3. Academic learning skills [Oral]
4. Academic learning skills [Written]

These goals are attained through situational practice. They adopt techniques from Total Physical Response, Direct Method and Communicative Language Teaching for developing teaching and learning activities. This method helps to provide comprehensible input to minimize the learner anxiety and to maximize learner’s self confidence.

IX. Suggestopedia
Bulgarian Psychiatrist Georgi Lozanov developed this method. Suggestopedia is derived from ‘suggestology’, which is described as “a science concerned with the systematic study of the non-rational and non conscious influences that human beings are constantly responding to” (Richard and Rogers 143). Peculiarity of this method lies in its settings, in the decoration, furniture and arrangement of class room, use of music and the authoritative behavior of the teacher.

In suggestopedia, Lozanov applied ideas he has taken from Raja Yoga and Soviet Psychology. From raja yoga he has borrowed techniques for altering the state of consciousness and concentration and the use of rhythmic breathing. From soviet psychology, he has taken the notion that all students can be taught a given subject matter at the same level of skill. He promised success for both gifted and below average learners through this method.

Suggestion is the main part of suggestopedia. Lozanov claimed that his method has a ‘de suggestive-suggestive sense’. There are six principal theoretical components which help for the operation of suggestion and de suggestion. They are, Authority, Infantilization, Double planedness, Intonation, Rhythm and Concert Pseudo Passiveness.

Main objective of Suggestopedia is to gain advanced level of conversational proficiency. It helps for understanding and creative solution of problems. Its syllabus consists of thirty days course with ten units of study. Central focus of each unit is dialogue with vocabulary list and grammatical commentary. Classroom procedures include oral review session, presentation of new material and séance or concert session.

X. Communicative Language Teaching [CLT]
Communicative Language Teaching [CLT] originates from the British Language Teaching tradition of late 1960s. Before that Situational Approach represented major British Approach to teaching English as a foreign language. Noam Chomsky criticized Situational Language Teaching in his classic book Syntactic Structures (1957). He views that structural theories of language were incapable of developing creativity and uniqueness of individual sentences.

British applied linguists emphasized the functional and communicative potential of language. They want to focus on communicative proficiency in language than mere mastery of the structures. Christopher Candlin and Henry Widdowson supported this view due to the influences of British functional linguists, American socio-linguists and philosophers.
In 1971, a group of linguistic experts focussed on developing a language course on a unit credit system in which learning tasks was broken down into small units according to the learner needs. They studied the needs of European language learners and the preliminary document was prepared by a British linguist D.A.Wilkins. From their study, they proposed a functional or communicative definition for developing communicative syllabus for language teaching.

Wilkins analyzed communicative meaning which a learner needs to understand. He attempted to demonstrate the system of meaning in the communicative uses of language. He described two types of meaning as notional categories and categories of communicative functions. Notional categories involve the categories of time, sequence, quantity, location and frequency. Categories of communicative functions include requests, denials, offers, complaints, etc. He had published all these views in a book form entitled Notional Syllabuses in 1972. This book led to the development of communicative Language Teaching. Communicative Approach gained national prominence after Council of Europe had applied this to text book preparation and language teaching.

The scope of Communicative Language Teaching expanded after the mid 1970s. British and American proponents viewed it as an approach rather than a method. “It aims to make communicative competence the goal of language teaching and develop procedures for the teaching of the four language skills that acknowledge the interdependence of language and communication” (Richard and Rogers 66). William Littlewood opines that “one of the most characteristics features of communicative language teaching as that it pays systematic attention to functional as well as structural aspects of language” (Richard and Rogers 66).

Howatt identified two versions of Communicative Language Teaching. They are Strong version and. Weak version. Strong version claims that language is acquired through communication. It supports the view of ‘using English to learn it’ Weak version stressed the importance of providing opportunities to use English for communicative purposes. It entails ‘learning to use English’.

The focus of communicative and contextual factors in language use had its traces in the works of anthropologist Bronislaw Malinowski and his collegue and ligiuist John Firth. Firth focused on discourse as subject and context for analysis. He insisted that language should be studied in the broader socio-cultural context. This socio-cultural context of language use includes participants their behaviors and beliefs, the object of linguistic discussion and word choice. Del Hymes and Michael Halliday were primarily indebted to these two linguists for their contributions on Communicative Language teaching.

Communicative Language Teaching is a learner centered and experience based view of second language teaching. “It is a theory of language teaching that starts from a communicative mode of language and language use, and that seeks to translate this into a design for an instructional system, for materials for teacher and learners roles and behaviours, and for classroom activities and techniques” (Richard and Rogers 69).

Approach
Communicative approach starts from the theory of language as communication. Most important goal of language teaching is to develop ‘communicative competence’. Hymes coined this term in order to contrast a communicative view of language and Chomsky’s theory of competence (Richard and Rogers 69). Chomsky’s linguistic theory focussed on abstract abilities of the speaker which enable him to produce grammatically correct sentences. Del Hymes viewed that linguistic theory was a part of general theory which links communication and culture. “Hyme’s theory of communicative competence was a definition of what a speaker needs to know in order to be communicatively competent in a speech community” (Richard and Rogers 70).

Many theories evolved on the basis of these theories. Halliday’s functional account of language use concerned with the description of speech acts and text. Henry Widdowson focussed on communicative acts and the ability to use language for different purposes. Canale and Swain identified four dimensions of communicative competence as grammatical, socio-linguistic, discourse and strategic.

Few learning theories were evolved on the communicative dimensions of language. Basic elements of these theories are discerned from CLT practices. They are communication principle, task principle and meaningful principle. They focus on the essential conditions needed to promote second language learning than second language acquisition.

Design
Piepho identified five levels of objectives. 1. an integrative and content level (language as a means of expression) 2. a linguistic and instrumental level (language as a semiotic system and an object of learning) 3. an affective level of interpersonal relationships and conduct (language as a means of expressing values and judgments about oneself and others) 4. a level of individual learning needs (remedial learning based on error analysis) 5. a general educational level of extra-linguistic goals. (language learning within the school curriculum). (Richard and Rogers 73)
Notional syllabus (Wilkins) was one of the first syllabus models developed on the basis of communicative language teaching. It includes semantic and grammatical categories and categories of communicative functions. Council of Europe expanded Wilkins’s Notional Syllabus to suit the objective of foreign language courses for European adults. This include
1. Situation in which learners need to use a foreign language.
2. Topics they need to talk about.
3. Notions made use in communication
4. Vocabulary and grammar needed. British applied linguists criticized Wilkins’s Notional model because it specified on product rather than process.

Communicative Language Teaching has unlimited range of exercises and activities. Littlewood observes two major type of activity in CLT. They are functional communication and social interaction activities. In communicative Language Teaching, learners have to act the role of negotiator between self and learning process. They have a preconception of what teaching and learning should be like. Teachers have different roles like facilitator of communication, organizer of resources, guide, researcher, need analyst and group process manager.

Communicative Language Teaching uses a variety of instructional materials for language teaching. These instructional materials are divided into three types. They are Text-based materials, Task-based materials and Realia.
Communicative Language Teaching is considered as an approach than a method. Teachers who prefer humanistic approach to language teaching adopted this method easily. It has got widespread approval and assumed higher position among other British language teaching circle.

Advantages of communicative Language Teaching
Communicative Language Teaching aimed at application theoretical perspectives in communicative competence as the pivot of language teaching. It acknowledges the interdependence of language and communication. Chief goal of Communicative Language Teaching is to enable students to communicate in the target language. It treats communication as a process. Unlike other methods, it gives undue importance to the knowledge of forms of language. Here a teacher has to assume variety of roles like facilitator, planner, organizer, adviser, monitor of student’s performance and communicator.

In Communicative Language Teaching, each and every activity is done with a communicative intent. Here the learner is exposed to target language through different communicative activities such as games, role play, problem solving, discussion etc. Here the learners have the freedom to select suitable language items. Communicative activities in CLT have some special features like information gap, choice and feedback facilities for the active participation and communication. Here the communication activities involved are purposeful and the speakers can evaluate themselves based upon the information they receive from the listener. Immediate feed back promotes effective communication. Activities practiced through small groups provide maximum time for each learner.

Most of the methods discussed here aimed at developing communication skill of the learners. All these methods are devised to practice inside the class room. Almost all the methods assign different roles for teachers and learners. Some methods avoid the use of mother tongue in the classroom (Direct method) but some methods like Grammar-Translation methods and Community Language Learning encourage its usage. Accuracy in grammar and structures of language are the main goals of Direct method and Grammar-Translation method but CLT, Natural Approach and Community Language Learning neglect this aspect and encourage communication in the target language. Classroom procedures are limited and teacher has to follow the predetermined steps in Audio-lingual Method, Suggestopedia and Total Physical Response. Teachers can enjoy unlimited freedom in Communicative Language Teaching and Community Language Learning.

Merits of Communicative Language Teaching over other methods are the following.
1. Meaning is paramount than structure and form.
2. Enhancement of learner’s personal experience encourages classroom learning.
3. It links classroom language learning with language activities of outside the class room.
4. It makes use of both functional activities and social interaction activities.
5. Formal properties of language are practiced along with its usage and language forms are introduced with context.
6. Learners are encouraged to find out forms and structures of language for themselves.
7. Attaining communicative competence is the desired goal of CLT.
8. Judicious use of native language is accepted.
9. A learner can evaluate himself based upon the response he receives from the listener.
10. It applies whole language approach in which all the four skills are integrated.


CHAPTER – III COMMUNICATIVE ENGLISH CLASSROOM The Following prototype course was introduced and practiced in the class room to develop the students’ communicative skills in English. ACTIVITY – I: Introducing Personalities and Commodities Task - 1: Introduce yourself to your classmates on the first day of your Post Graduate class.

The following points are to be noted:a. Nameb. Present designationc. Native placed. Family backgrounde. Educational backgroundf. Personal likings and dislikesg. Hobbyh. Ambitioni. Personalities you like mostj. Favorite actor and actressk. Your positives and weakness


Answer Hai Friends, I’m Sudheesh. My native place is Pettai. My father is a shop keeper. My mother is a housewife; she helps my father whenever she gets time. I have two ounger brothers. I did my U.G at St: Xavier’s College, Palayamkottai. My hobbies are, listening to music, stamp collection and reading. I like karnatic music and I can sing without committing much mistakes. I have a good collection of stamps of almost fifteen countries. I like reading poems and novels. I have a great admiration for Vairamuthu and Thomas Hardy. My aim is to become a lecturer. My favorite actor is Kamalhasan. Often I felt that I am a short tempered man. I like traveling to distant places which are known for beauty of nature. I like friends and their company. Thank you.

Task – 2: Introduce your friend to your class Introducer’s nameFriend’s NameWho is heWhat he is doingHis educational and family backgroundHis hobbies, likings and dislikes His favorites


Answer: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task – 3: Introduce a book you like most in your class. a. Talk about importance of readingb. Which genre you like mostc. Your favorite authord. Introduce the author and title e. Content of the bookf. Mention the part of the book you like mostg. Give your critical view

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Task: 4: Introduce a new product to your customer a. Talk about the qualities of your productb. Compare your product with other of similar brandc. Give the merits of your productd. Make your customer to buy your product


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task: 5: Introduce your chief guest on your college day celebration. a. Introduce his nameb. His designationc. His qualificationsd. Curricular and non-curricular activities.e. How he is able to adore the chair of chief guest.


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY II – Describing Task: 1: Describe the given doll. a. Talk about the dollb. It’s colourc. It’s dressingd. Heighte. Other peculiarities

Answer I would like to introduce this beautiful doll to you. This is a small doll about twenty centimeters long and she is wearing a long golden colour frock. She has long black hair and blue eyes. She will close her eyes when we put her down and she will automatically open her eyes when she stands. She is wearing ornaments such as one necklace,some bangles and a set of anklets. It is made up of plastic and we can make her dance by moving her hands and legs because of the flexibility of her joints. This doll looks like a real baby girl in her mother’s arm. Thank you. Task: 2: Describe the alarm clock. a. Talk about its shapeb. It’s colourc. How to adjust alarmd. What kind of sound it will produce?


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Describe brinjal

a. What is the shape of it?b. Give the colourc. Parts of brinjald. Usese. How can you cultivate it?f. Name same dishes you can make out of it.


Answer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 4: Describe chair a. What is a chair?b. What are the uses of it?c. What are the different parts of a chair?d. What are the advantages of a chair?


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Task : 5: Describe Spectacles a. What are the uses of spectacles?b. What are the important parts of spectacles?c. Mention its colour and type

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: III–Guessing: Some newspaper cuttings will be given and asked to guess the meaning of the given picture and write down about it. The following things will be taken into account while doing this activity.

a. Minutely observe the given pictureb. What is the given picture?c. Who are the characters in that picture?d. What is the action going on?e. Give a good caption.


Task: 1. Picture 3.1


Answer Juxtaposition of LifeAn aged old lady who is walking without the help of others is the main focus of the picture. She is about eighty five and walking with the help of two sticks in two hands. She cannot stand straight because of her old age problems. Though she is too old and poor, she wears spectacles, slippers, bangles and nose rings. She has white teeth which in seen through her half opened mouth. Behind her, there are two boys who are talking to each other. One boy is sitting on the bicycle and the other is standing. These two boys are not giving any attention to this old lady. This picture shows the condition of old age people who are not getting proper caring from present younger generation. We need to change that kind of attitude and give respect to our elders because they are the “golden treasures of knowledge and experience”.

Task: 2. Picture: 3. 2


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Task: 3. Picture: 3.3


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task: 4 Picture: 3.4

Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task: 5. Picture: 3. 5


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


ACTIVITY: IV–Case Study:
Analyze the given situation with the help of suitable example.

Task: 1: Drug addiction Answer Drugs are the chemicals which we normally use in a limited dose to cure some disease. But when we use it in large quantity it will adversely affect our immunity system. Some drugs are used as painkillers, which primarily stuns our senses and gives momentary relief. They are harmful to our human body. Most of the consumers use it in order to escape from tensions. One cannot easily escape from its hands once fall prey to it. Today these drugs are available in different forms like tablets, injection, cigarettes, syrup, chewing gum etc. This habit one can saw among college boys, especially hostlers than day scholars. Most of the time they are forced to use it in the name of ragging or friendship. Balamurali, who is the only son of teacher parents sent to a reputed Engineering college at Chennai. His parents are loving and kind to him. He is good at his studies. His hostel mates have the bad habit of using drugs and alcohol. They were forced him to use that. At first he resists but later he fell in their tricks. After one year, he cannot live with out the use of it. His parents came to know about this situation and took him for treatment. Even years later, he cannot recover fully from its clutches. This is not a rare incident. Some of the reasons for drug addiction are :1. Lack of proper guidance2. Influence of friends3. Search for easier ways to get pleasure4. Cowardice to face the world5. Lack of affection and caring from parents

Task : 2: Oil price hike

a. Reasons for thatb. After effectc. Give one example

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Higher Education in India

a. Present condition of higher educationb. What are the changes came overc. Give one example


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 4: Air Pollution a. What is air pollutionb. What are the reasons for thatc. After effect of air pollutiond. Example

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Task : 5: Scarcity of Water

a. Uses of waterb. Reasons for climatic changec. Give one example.

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: V: Group Discussion Learners are divided into groups of five to six members and they discuss about the given topic with in their groups. A group leader will be selected and they have to present their groups’ ideas after allotted time.

Task: 1: Planning of a tour from your class. a. Discuss about what type of tour you want to gob. Plan places of interestc. Plan number of daysd. Reason for selecting these places

Answer

Group A We discussed about the tour programme. My group members have the opinion that we can plan for a tour to North India because most of us had visited some places in South India. We have planned for fifteen days tour. For transport facility we can approach Central Railway which provides student concession for tour programmes.


Task: 2: Science as a boon for humanity a. What are the developments in scienceb. Advantages of development of sciencec. Disadvantages

Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Task: 3: Brain drain

a. What is brain drainb. How it affect our countryc. What are the benefits and disadvantages?

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task: 4: Measures to overcome environmental pollution a. What are the reasonsb. Sources of pollutionc. How can we overcome it

Answer: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Task: 5: Mobile Phone–is it necessary for college students a. Introductionb. Usesc. Misuses

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: VI–Role Play Each person will be given some roles and they have to assume themselves in their respective roles and speak accordingly. Task: 1: Shopkeeper and customer in home appliance shop. a. Welcome each otherb. Enquire about needsc. Shopkeeper helps his customer to select a product


Answer Shop Keeper : Good morning sir, hearty welcome to our shop.Customer : Good MorningShop Keeper : Can I help youCustomer : Of course. I would like to buy one good mixer grinder for my Kitchen.Shop Keeper : Well, please come to this sideCustomer : Ok.Shop Keeper : We have a good collection of mixer grinder. May I know which brand do you prefer?Customer : I think Prestige is the good one.Shop Keeper : Of course. But there are some varieties available with cheaper ratesCustomer : But what about the quality of these items?Shop Keeper : We are so particular that we want to give quality products with cheaper rates to our customers. Normally most of the companies offer warranty or guarantee to their products. Again you can have selection from number of facility they are providing. Some companies provide four jars. Others provide two jars with different types of blades for mixing and juicing.Customer : I feel that...... different jars for each item will be more reliable than others.Shop Keeper : Ya, it can be trueCustomer : What about the rates?Shop Keeper : For Sumeet–Rs.2900/- Pigeon–Rs.3500/- Rico–Rs.3100/- Butterfly–Rs.3400/-Customer : Ok, I think I can choose prestigeShop Keeper : Ok, another benefit of this piece is that, it will not produce sound while working.Customer : Ok, that’s good. Is there any reduction in its rate?Shop Keeper : We are not demanding much money from our customers. So the price is fixed one and we cannot change it.Customer : Not even fifty rupees?Shop Keeper : Sorry sir, I told you earlier that we charge reasonably.Customer : Ok, then pack it up.Shop Keeper : Here is your bill. Pay it in that counterCustomer : Ok.Shop Keeper : This is your selection and this is our free gift for you.Customer : Thank youShop Keeper : Thank you sir, come again.


Task: 2: Father and daughter discussing about her higher studiers a. Discuss about the scope of each courseb. Discuss about the mode of educationc. Discuss about the fees structure

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Principal with late coming student a. Asks reasonsb. Asks excusec. Warning and punishment

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Task: 4: Interview board for selecting candidate for merit scholarship at the
P.G. level a. Prepare questions and answersb. Prepare questions based on respective subjectc. Reasons for applying scholarship

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task: 5: Interviewing the President Abdul Kalam a. ask about his goalsb. Missionc. Dreams

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: VII: Problem Solving

The whole class was divided into three or four groups and asked to discuss and find out solution for the given problem. Group leaders were selected and they would present their group’s idea in front of the class after their discussion. Task : 1: Environmental Pollution in our city. Answer Group A: Dear friends, my group members discussed about environmental pollution in our city. For discussion we took Nellai town. Land is the most polluted area in this part because the density of people is high when compare to remote parts. Again there are many industries and factories working based on this place. Inadequate sanitation facilities and drainage system dangerously polluted this part of town. We have some suggestions to improve the condition1. Provide adequate sanitation facilities 2. Conduct awareness programmes about healthy habits

Task : 2: Traffic problems in your town a. Reasons for traffic problemsb. How can we overcome that


Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Planning to go for a newly released film on a working day. a. What are the excuses you need to give to your parents and to your teachers.b. How will you reach the theatre?c. What are the precautions you need to take in order to avoid other’s notice?

Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Task : 4: What do you do when your friends turn up unexpectedly and you haven’t made any preparation but you have all raw materials? a. How will you greet themb. How will you treat them

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5: What will you do when you witness an accident on the way to attend an interview? a. What will you do at firstb. What decision you will take at that timec. What are reasons you can give to support your decision

Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: VIII: Brain Storming In this activity learners are asked to find out new ways for solving the given problem. Task : 1: Planning to organize a departmental seminar on behalf of your class In order to arrange a departmental seminar, a thorough planning should be made on.1. Theme of seminar2. Date of seminar3. Venue of seminar4. Number of resource persons5. Planning various committee and coordinators 6. Selection of members for the committee. Each committee should be formed on the basis of various items like welcome, registration, reception, organization, decoration, refreshment, lunch, etc.

Task : 2: Measures to take conservation of energy a. Discuss about the sources of energy loss.b. What are the measures we need to take for the conservation of energy?


Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: How to create reading habits among youngsters a. Reasons behind lack of reading habitsb. Measure to create reading habit.

Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 4: Solution for water problems in your campus. a. Reasons for water problemsb. Solutions for that


Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5: Create a suitable slogan for a tooth paste.

a. It include special qualities of tooth pasteb. Select suitable words for that

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: IX: Improvisation Express yourself as in real life without any prior preparation Task : 1: Meeting your school mate at the bus stand. Answer: Karthik : Excuse me, are you Murali?Murali : Ya, but……….Karthik : Are you from Rajapalayam?Murali : Ye, but you ….Karthik : I’m Karthik from the same place. I think we were class mates at St: Joseph’s H.S.S, Rajapalayam during 2001 to 2004. You were the new comer to our class. And if my memory is right, you were the first person who usually sits on the first bench.Murali : Oh! You are that lean, smart and tall boy.Karthik : Ya yaMusali : You are….. Our karthu?Karthik : Yes, I am your same karthu.Murali : Oh! What a surprise, you have changed a lot with in eight years.Karthik : What are you doing now?Murali : Now I am doing MBA at M.S University, Tirunelveli and what about you ? Karthik : I’m working as a project co–ordenator in Durbar Consultancies. Murali : Ok good. Today I am in a hurry to catch my bus which starts at 6.30 P.MKarthik : Its ok, you go fast we can meet again. Good bye. Murali : See you, good bye.

Task : 2: Interviewing Indian Cricket team captain after his team’s victory in 20– 20 Cricket match. a. Congratulating the captainb. Reasons behind frequent failuresc. Condition of team membersd. Factors lead to victory Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Campaigning students in favour of your representative for the forthcoming college election. a. List out the needs of your campusb. Introduce your representativec. Talk about his merits and how he is suitable for that position.

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Task : 4: Act the state assembly which discusses about the admission criteria for professional course. a. Assume the roles of ministersb. Discuss about the problems of higher education. c. Discuss about the demerits and merits of present conditiond. Discuss about the need to revise the present situation.

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5: Give a brief picture about your N.S.S camp evening programme. a. Mention the place b. Give the programme listc. What is your role?


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: X: Letter Writing: Learners are asked to write letter on a given topic or advertisement. While writing a letter keep in mind the format and type of letter you are going to write. Task : 1: Write a request to Regional Institute of English, Bangalore for conducting orientation programme for U.G students in your college. Answer From The Coordinator, Department of English, P.M.S College, Gopalapuram ,To The Director, Regional Institute of English, Bangalore.Respected Sir, We are planning to conduct an orientation programme in English for our under graduate students. For that we request you to conduct an English orientation camp for seven days at our college in July 2008. Kindly agree our request and communicate suitable dates convenient to you at the earliest. Thanking you Yours Faith fully,Gopalapuram 05-01-08The Co-Ordinater, P. M. S College. Task: 2: Write an application form to apply for the post of P.G Teacher in Keswick Public School from the given advertisement. Picture 3.6


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Write an application letter for the post of senior research fellowship from the given advertisement.

Picture 3.7


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Task : 4: Apply for the post of lecturer in Tagore Engineering College. Picture 3.8


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5 Write a complaining letter to newspaper about the bad condition of your road during rainy season.


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: XI: Writing Reports: Reports are always factual and they can be verified. It aimed at people with specific interest in that particular area. Task : 1
Write a report to newspaper regarding a recent programme arranged in your campus named ‘Green Campus”. a. A report should have a title b. Indicate place and datec. Keep in mind the type of audience.


Answer: CHANGING FACE OF MSU TIRUNELVELI, Feb 19: Honourable Vice-Chancellor of M.S. University had inaugurated a programme entitled ‘Green Campus’ today in the university premises. Through this programme they have aimed at implanting nearly one lakh shady plants. The whole area of university in divided and given to each departments and they have the responsibility to implement this programme successfully. For this programme university has to spend more than five lakh rupees. Through this programme Mrs. Pandian wants to create love and caring for nature and natural objects. “Youth for Greenery’ is the motto of this programme. Most of the professors, research scholars and students participated in this programme.

Task : 2: Write a report on the accident you have witnessed on the way to college. Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Write a report on the workshop conducted in your department. Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Task : 4: Write a report on your college day celebration on the basis given programme list. Table 3.1 Programme List10.30 A.M : Arrival of Chief Guest 10.45 A.M : Welcome by staff Co-Ordinator 11.10 A.M : Presenting Bouquet for chief guests. 11.20 A.M : Annual report by Prinicipal 12.00 A.M : Distribution of prize 12.30 A.M : Address of Chief Guests 12.50 A.M : Vote of thanks by college union chairman 1.00 P.M : National Anthem 2.00 P.M : Cultural Programmes.

Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5: Imagine yourself as the District collector and write a report about the places you have visited which was affected by heavy storm and rain. Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: XII: Describe the Characteristics Describe the characteristics or qualities of the given position. Task : 1: Teacher Who is teacher What are the roles of teacherWhat are the qualities he should possess

Answer A teacher is the person who shares his knowledge with the needed ones and guides them in the right way. He is an architect of future citizens of a country. A good teacher should be a good companion, a friendly guide, a philosopher, and a good model for his students. He should possess clean habits. Because teachers will create a great impression in child’s mind. A good teacher can be compared to a blacksmith who works with hard iron pieces at his furnace and mould that into useful equipment.

Task : 2: Friend

a. Who is a friend b. What are the qualities of a good friend


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Mother – in –law Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 4: Principal Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Task : 5: Prime Minister Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: XIII: Foreseeing Result Give the consequences of given situation when it happens in the future. Task: 1: Outbreak of communal violence Answers Indian society is a good example for the slogan ‘unity in diversity’. Because Indians are diverse in their mother tongue, religion, castes, colour, customs etc. Thus there are many chances for the out breaks of violence, especially in the name of caste and religion, because these are the two things which hypnotize people’s mind easily. Man will turn into a cruel animal when the spirit of community feeling comes in. Each member will try to destroy their enemy by any means even though once they were close friends. Use of explosives and other modern weapons and killing of each other will become common thing. Government cannot control that because they will support any one of the group. Government will announce emergency period in that part.


Task: 2: Banning of plastic What are the uses of plasticHow it affect our environmentSituation leads to the banning of plasticGive another material which will occupy the place of plastic

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Paper production stopped a. Give the situations lead to stopping of paper productionb. List out its after effectsc. Find a solution

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Task : 4: No traffic control in the city a. Reason behind thatb. How vehicles are movingc. Give its after effects

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5: What will you do when you hear that the world will be going to end within ten days. a. Give your preparationb. What are the things you want to do before thatc. What will be your reaction

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ACTIVITY: XIV: Debate
Divide the class into two groups and select group leaders. Contradict topics will be given to each groups. Group leaders and members try their level best to support their view points by giving genuine reasons. At the end, the moderator will conclude the session.

Task : 1: Religion is the opium and Religion to develop moral values.

a. Group A should speak against religion.· How it act on people’s mind?· How religious people act?· How they are turning the minds of their followers according to their wish?· What are the consequences of it?· What are the suggestions of your group?b. Group B should support religion· Why and how religion originated?· What are the aims of religion?· How religion helps people to develop their mind and spirit?· How it helps to develop moral values and discipline in man?


Task : 2: Love your country and patriotism is outdated Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Brain drain and Brain gain Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 4: Wealth makes you happy and wealth cannot make you happy. Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5: With age comes wisdom and older is not necessarily wiser Answer -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: XV: Publicity Campaign Through this activity one can convince the public about some general issues through Radio / Television programme, newspaper, articles, advertisement and demonstration.

Task : 1: Write a newspaper advertisement on the preventive measures of Dengu Fever. Answer KEEP YOUR ENVIRONMENT NEAT AND CLEANWE CAN JOIN HANDS TO DRIVE AWAYDENGUE FEVERREMEMBER THAT DENGU FEVER SPREAD ONLY THROUGH MOSQUITO.v Avoid chances of water stagnationv Avoid chances encourage the growth of mosquitov Use boiled water for drinkingv Keep eatables in a airtight containerv If you have fever with itching sensation and reddening of eyes, immediately contact your physician.REMEMBER THAT EARLY DIAGNOSIS SAVES YOUR LIFE.

Task : 2 Road Safety Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Task : 3: Write a video script about the consequences of global warming Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 4: Write a radio script on the importance of polio vaccination. Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5:Write a documentary script for HIV/AIDS awareness programme. Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: XVI: Public Talk Give an oral presentation on the given topic. It should contain · A good introduction · Point wise presentation · Give suitable examples if necessary · Give your point of view · Give a conclusion mentioning all the points you have mentioned before. Task : 1: Election campaigning speech of college union chairman Answer
Dear friends. I’m Suresh, from third year mathematics. I think most of you may know me except first years. Because, last year I came before you for the same reason not as the candidate of chairmanship but as the Arts Club Secretary. I am happy that you are whole heartedly selected me for that post. You know that I did my level best as the Arts club secretary. Once again I need your precious votes for the coming college union election. I have some plans for the welfare of our students. I will voice for· Improvement of our library · Ladies waiting room· Drinking water facility to all departments· Improvement of our old canteen.Once again I promise that. I will do my level best for the welfare of the student community. So cast your precious votes for me. Thank You Task : 2: Undue importance given to I T and related field. Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Youngsters and drug addiction Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 4: Privatization of higher education Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5: National Integration Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: XVII: Telephonic Conversation Two persons are selected and they have to act as they are talking over telephone after writing the dialogue. While doing this note that, Your speech should be clear Use simple words Audible sound and pitch Task : 1: Enquiring about the admission procedures at the university reception. Answer Receptionist : Good morning. This is Manonmaniam Sundaranar University Tirunelveli.Maya : Good morning, can you tell me about the admission procedures of M. Phil regular programme.Receptionist : Of course, our university is conducting M.Phil regular pragramme for one year. Admission procedures will starts from May itself. We will issue application form from May and you can get it from here in person or by post by giving a request letter and D.D of Rs.150/- from any nationalized bank. Maya : Can you tell me about the mode of admission?Receptionist : Here admission is based on the entrance test and the marks scored in your post graduate programme.Maya : O.K. thank you for this valuable informationReceptionist : Thank you for calling

Task : 2: Conversation between two friends after a long gap. Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Task : 3: Conversation between father and son who is in abroad for his studies. Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 4: Telephonic interview for the post of receptionist. Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5: Complaining about theft at your neighbour’s house to police Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ACTIVITY: XVIII: Review writing:
Write about the summary and your critical view about the given topic

Task : 1: Write a review for the book you have recently read Answer Title : BREATHLESS IN BOMBAYAuthor : Murzban F. Shroff Mumbai has recently been crowned the dirtiest city in India and seventh dirtiest in the whole world. A city that means different things to different people, a land of opportunity to penniless people who make it big; a rainbow at the end of many travails for those who seek and find frame; an existence of sheer drudgery for the millions that flock to its shores in the hope of finding a life and finally a city that continues to fascinate and repel at the same time. Many books have been written on this city – some in praise, some defiling it. Mumbai haunts like no other. Be it poor dhobis that eke out a living on its shores. The dabbawalahs, the old Parsis who have made this city theirs for generations, or the boorish taxiwallah who refuses to play ball. All these different and unique characters make this city what it is. Their struggles spill out onto the city’s footpaths where many spend their lives. If there is gold to be found there, there is also heart ache. This anthology of short stories epitomizes all these characters with a surprising dexterity.


Task : 2: Write a review for a novel you like most Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Write a review for the film you have seen recently Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 4: Write a review for the documentary aspects of higher education Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5: Write a review for the newly published book. Answer ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIVITY: XIX: Pros and Cons
Find out some of the advantages and disadvantages of the given titles. Task : 1 Living abroad Answer:
People prefer to work abroad because of attractive salary and other benefits. Actually living in another country is a challenge for any one. There everything will be slightly different from his native land. Language, culture, mode of living, food habits, working time, climate, ect. Will be different for him. At the end he will feel lonely and starts missing his family and friends. Thus he develops diasporic feeling which forces him to return to his country.


Task : 2: Being only one child Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 3: Growing up in the city Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 4: Loss of grandparents Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task : 5: Nuclear family Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XX. Picture differences:
Identify pictures and find out similarities and differences. Task : 1 Picture 3.9


Answer 1. Shakespeare’s eyes are down2. There is no pen in the ink bottle in the table3. There is no crumpled paper by Shakespeare’s foot4. Shakespeare has a hole in his shoe5. There are two rows of nails in the side of the table6. Shakespeare has only one eyebrow7. There is no comma after the first ‘to be’8. There are only two dots after the word ‘catchy’.

Task:2 Picture 3.10

]Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task: 3 Picture 3.11

Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task: 4 Picture 3.12


Answer: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task: 5. Picture 3.13


Answer ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


CHAPTER–IV

PERFORMANCE AND ANALYSIS

Performance of the learners can be assessed through evaluation process. Evaluation is a process of collecting analyzing and interpreting evidence to judge the level of achievement acquired by a learner or a group of learners. This evaluation helps the teacher to plan his course of teaching, provide timely feedback, motivation and counseling and his learner’s future. Various types of tests are used for the proper assessment of learners.

Traditional language test are used to test the knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and not focused on the fluency of language in practical situations. Communicative Language Testing is a recent development in the field of language testing which focuses on both productive and receptive skills in language.

Communicative Language Tests are context specific. It reflect the communicative situation in which the testers are likely to find themselves. They are directed toward general social situation where they night be in a position to use English.

Communicative Language Tests have been used to measure how testers are able to use language in real life situation. While testing productive skills, more importance was given to appropriateness of language rather than the ability to from grammatically correct sentences. In the case of testing receptive skills, emphasis is placed on understanding the communicative intent of the speaker or writer rather than on picking out specific details. These two things are often used in combination in Communicative Language Testing. Because, in real life, these different skills are not used in isolation.

Communicative Language Tests are context specific. It reflects the communicative situation in which the testees are likely to find themselves. They are directed toward general social situation where they might be in a position to use English. Through Communicative Language Test the researcher took efforts to test the language of the learners in a way that they use it in real life communication.

For the present research, the researcher has selected Communicative Language Testing for assessing her learners. Here researcher has framed twenty activities with five tasks each. The first task can be taken as a model. The points that the learners should mention will be given separately. Learner’s responses were assessed through grading under three category such as non satisfactory*, satisfactory* and excellent* [below 50–non satisfactory, below 65–satisfactory, above 65–excellent]. Based on this, a checklist has been prepared under each activity which would show how these activities were worked out in the classroom.

Activity I: Introducing Personalities and Commodities: It deals with introducing personalities and commodities. Here learners were given various tasks like introducing a friend, a book, a new product and a chief guest.

Table: 4:1 Checklist: Introducing Personalities and Commodities Level / Task Non- Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Self Introduction Ö 2. Introduce your friend Ö 3. Introduce a book Ö 4. Introduce a new product to your customer Ö 5. Introduce your chief guest Ö

Description First task was given as a model. Based on that learners were asked to introduce themselves in front of their classmates. The researcher has given 8–10 minutes for the preparation of each task. In the first activity they did well following the given model. While doing second task, they committed lot of mistakes in the usage of personal pronouns. For e.g.: instead of using ‘her’ they used ‘she’s’. While doing third task, they found difficult to select suitable book, because of lack of reading habits. While doing fourth task they got some confidence to do it. It has to be admitted that here also they committed some mistakes. Learners were able to do task five with less mistakes.

Activity II: Describing Second activity deals with describing objects. In this activity, learners were asked to describe some objects which were shown to them. Here they were asked to describe doll, alarm clock, brinjal, chair, and spectacles. Most of the things shown to them are familiar objects. So they felt easy but they struggled for vocabulary while describing these objects.

Table: 4:2 Cheek list: Describing Level/Task Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Describe the Doll Ö 2. Describe the alarm clock Ö 3. Describe Brinjal Ö 4. Describe Chair Ö 5. Describe spectacles Ö


Description For the first three tasks learners felt difficult to describe the given object. Thus for the next two activities, they are asked to write down the points and present it. This time they were able to do well.

Activity III: Guessing In activity III, learners were given some newspaper cuttings and were asked to give the meaning of that picture and write about it. Table: 4:3 Checklist: Guessing Level/Task Non-satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Picture 1 Ö 2. Picture 2 Ö 3. Picture 3 Ö 4. Picture 4 Ö 5. Picture 5 Ö

Description Learners took this activity as a challenge and they were given different interpretations. First two activities were given as individual activities. The result was so poor. So the learners were dived into groups and asked to write down after discussing with their group members. This produce positive result and learners did well than the first two tasks. Activity IV: Case Study Fourth activity deals with case study. Here learners were given some familiar situation and were asked to analyze that with the help of suitable example. It includes various topics like oil price hike, drug addiction, higher education in India and scarcity of water.

Table: 4:4 Checklist: Case study Level/Task Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Drug Addiction Ö 2. Oil Price Hike Ö 3. Higher Education In India Ö 4. Air Pollution Ö 5. Scarcity of Water Ö

Description This activity was given as individual written work. They did this activity in a better level than other activities.

Activity V: Group Discussion In Group Discussion learners were divided into three or four groups. Group members share their ideas and views on the given topic and their group leaders present it before the class. Table: 4:5 Checklist: Group Discussion Level/Task Non-Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Planning of a tour from your class Ö 2. Science as a boon for humanity Ö 3. Brain drain Ö 4. Measures to overcome environmental pollution Ö 5. Mobile phone – is it necessary for college students Ö

Description Group discussion was a lively activity. Almost all the learners were actively participated in this activity. For the first task most of the learners expressed their views freely. For the second and the third they did not do up to the expected level. The fourth and fifth one, they did satisfactorily

Activity VI: Role Play In this activity learners were asked to write dialogue after forming pairs or groups and speak accordingly Table: 4:6 Checklist: Role Play Level/Task Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Shop keeper and customer in home appliance shop Ö 2. Father and daughter about her higher studies Ö 3. Principal with late comer Ö 4. Interview board (4 members) for selecting candidate for merit scholarship at P.G. level Ö 5. Interviewing Former President Abdul Kalam Ö

Description In activity VI, learners were divided into groups and they are asked to assume given roles. For the first task, learners did satisfactorily. For the second and third tasks learners were not able to perform up to the level of satisfactory but they did well in conveying meaning. For fourth and fifth tasks, learners developed the skills of framing questions and responding to that in a particular situation

Activity VII: Problem Solving Problem solving is also a group activity. Here learners were asked to find out solution for given problems. Table: 4:7 Check list: Problem Solving Level/Task Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Environmental Pollution in our city Ö 2. Traffic problems in your town Ö 3. Planning to go for a newly released film on a working day Ö 4. What do you do when your friends turn up unexpectedly? Ö 5. What will you do when you witness an accident on the way to attend an interview? Ö

Description For doing problem solving learners were divided into some groups and they were given problems and asked to discuss for ten minutes. After their discussion group leaders presented their group’s solution. Through this activity learners are encouraged to speak without any hesitation. They were not able to express exactly what they were intended to speak. This is the main defect the researcher has noticed in learners while doing this activity.

Activity VIII: Brain Storming Through this activity learners were asked to find out new ways of solving given problematic situations. This activity was given as an individual activity. Table: 4:8 Check List; Brain Storming Level/Task Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Planning to organize a departmental seminar on behalf of your class Ö 2. Measures to take conservation of energy Ö 3. How to create reading habits among youngsters Ö 4. Solution for water problems in your campus Ö 5. Create a suitable slogan for the toothpaste Ö Description Here each individual were asked to give their own ideas and solutions separately. Learners framed their answers based on the points given to them. For the first two tasks, their performance was very poor. They were given some remedial instructions about how to do these activities, how to develop points and how to coordinate them during their planning. While doing third, fourth and fifth activity learners were able to produce satisfactory results.

Activity IX: Improvisation: Through this activity learners were asked to respond themselves as they react when they encounter the given situation in real life. Table: 4:9 Checklist: Improvisation Level/Task Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1 Meeting Schoolmate at bus stand Ö 2 Interviewing Indian cricket team captain Ö 3 Campaigning students for the forth- coming college election Ö 4 Sate assembly which discuss about the admission criteria for professional course Ö 5 N.S.S. evening programme Ö

Description Improvisation was a group activity. Here learners were given different positions and they have to react according to their position without taking much time for preparation. For the first task most of the learners except three did satisfactorily. For the next three tasks, they were not able to respond with immediate situations. This activity involves listening and speaking skills. For the last task, all the learners participated effectively.

Activity X: Letter Writing In this activity learners were given some situations or advertisement from newspapers and were asked to write letters for respective purposes. Table: 4:10 Checklist: Letter Writing Level/Task Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1 Request to conduct an orientation programme Ö 2 Application letter for the post of P.G. teacher Ö 3 Application letter for the post of senior research fellowship Ö 4. Application for the post of Lectures Ö 5. Complainingletter to newspaper Ö Description Letter writing was given as an individual activity. The learners were thorough with the forms of letter writing. So here the researcher tried to provide practice in official letter writing. Most of the learners took these tasks in an easy way and all of them gave satisfactory results.

Activity XI: Writing Reports Through this activity the researcher wanted to mould the learner’s writing skill. Learners were asked to write newspaper report or official report according to given question. Table: 4:11 Checklist: Writing Reports Level/Task Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Newspaper report on Green Campus Ö 2 Newspaper report on the accident Ö 3 Newspaper report on the workshop Ö 4. Newspaper report on the college day celebration Ö 5 Official report on natural calamity Ö Description Report writing aimed at developing the writing habits of the learners. For newspaper report writing, one should take care about the selection of words. Limited number of words should be selected. For the first two tasks, they wrote the report like a story. For the remaining tasks, they produced satisfactory results.

Activity XII: Describe the Characteristics Through this activity learners were asked to talk about the qualities of given position. This activity was given as an individual work. All the tasks given to them were of familiar situation. Table: 4:12 Checklist: Describe the Characteristics Level/Task Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Teacher Ö 2. Friend Ö 3. Mother-in-law Ö 4. Principal Ö 5. Prime Minister Ö

Description Describe the characteristics activity aimed at developing narrating and describing skills of learners. Situation given to them were familiar ones. Most of them committed errors in sentence construction. All the learners were able to give satisfactory results.

Activity XIII: Forseeing Result By this activity the researcher made her learners to think about actions which may happen in the future. This activity was given as an individual work, which aimed to develop speaking and writing skills.

Table: 4:13 Checklist: Forseeing Result Level/Task Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1 Outbreak of communal violence Ö 2 Banning of plastics Ö 3 Stopping of paper production Ö 4 No traffic control Ö 5 End of world within ten days Ö


Description: Through this activity the researcher made her learners think about the future event, and write it and talk about it. While doing this activity the researcher has noticed that learners felt no hesitation to express their words in front of their class mates. While doing written work, they did well but in speaking, they committed lot of mistakes in grammatical construction of sentences. Activity XIV: Debate: For conducting debate, the researcher divided the whole class into two groups and they were given contradicting topics. Each group selected their group leader and one group member act as the moderator who controls the whole discussion.

Table: 4:14 Checklist: Debate: Level/Task Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Religion is the opium and Religion to develop moral values Ö 2. Love your country and Patriotism is outdated Ö 3. Brain drain and Brain gain Ö 4. Wealth make you happy and Wealth cannot make you happy Ö 5. With age comes wisdom and Older is not necessarily wiser. Ö

Description: Debate helped to develop integrative skills like listening, speaking arguing, questioning, demanding etc. While doing this activity, the researcher took care to change moderators and leaders in each task. This activity helped learners greatly for the co-ordination of ideas and to express that in correct order. While doing first three tasks, learners were not able to come up to the level of satisfaction. For the last two tasks they did well.

Activity XV: Publicity Campaign Publicity campaign intended to develop writing skill among learners through writing advertisements, tape script, video script, etc.

Table: 4:15 Check list: Publicity Campaign: Level/Tasks Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Newspaper advertisement of prevention of Dengue fever Ö 2. Newspaper advertisement in road safety Ö 3. Video script on the consequence of global warming Ö 4. Video script on the importance of polio vaccination Ö 5. Documentary script for HIV/AIDS awareness programme Ö

Description Publicity campaign activity demands vocabulary skills from learners. Through this tasks learners were asked to select apt words which clearly indicate what they have intended to convey. Familiar themes were given as tasks. All the tasks were done well and the last two activities did excellently by all the learners except three.

Activity XVI: Public Talk In this activity learners were asked to give a speech on given topic. This activity intended to develop their speaking skills, presentation skills and coordination of ideas.

Table: 4:16 Check list: Public Talk Level/Tasks Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Election speech of college union chairman Ö 2. Importance given to IT field Ö 3. Youngsters and drug addiction Ö 4. Privatization of higher education Ö 5. National Integration Ö

Description Public talk was given as an individual work. They were given topics beforehand for preparation and they were asked to present a talk less than ten minutes. Thus learners collected point and they presented it. For the presentation of this activity, learners need a good background in current affairs. Most of the learners lack newspaper reading habits. This adversely affected the fourth task. They were not able to provide adequate points on that topic on privatization of higher education. Learners did well for all other tasks.

Activity XVII: Telephone Conversation Telephone in the most frequently used medium of communication. One cannot talk for a long time as he/she is talking in person. The words should be limited and clear. Simple words should be used for easy understanding.

Table: 4:17 Checklist: Telephonic Conversation Level/Tasks Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Enquiring about admission procedures Ö 2. Between two friends Ö 3. Between father and son Ö 4. Interview for the receptionist Ö 5. Complaining about theft. Ö

Description In telephonic conversation activity, learners were divided into pairs and groups and were asked to write about conversation on given topic. After written work, they were asked to speak accordingly. All the group members were actively participated in this activity. They were able to produce excellent performance in both written and spoken tasks.

Activity XVIII: Review Writing In Review writing learners were asked to write a critical summary of a book, a film or a documentary. Through this activity the researcher wanted to develop the quality of summing up a work of art without losing its main points.

Table: 4:18 Checklist; Review Writing Level/Tasks Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Review for a book recently read Ö 2. Review for a novel Ö 3. Review for a film Ö 4. Review for a documentary Ö 5. Review for a newly published book Ö Description Review writing demands in-depth reading habits among learners. But today, most of our learners lack this habit. So the learners were not able to given expected results from these tasks. They were more interested in watching films than reading book and newspapers. Half of the students were able to do this exercise well.

Task XIX: Pros and Cons In this activity learners were given some situations and they need to analyze advantages and disadvantages of the given topic.

Table: 4:19 Check List: Pros and Cons Level/Tasks Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Living abroad Ö 2. Being only one child Ö 3. Growing up in city Ö 4. Loss of grandparents Ö 5. Nuclear family Ö

Description By giving pros and Cons activity the researcher wanted her learners to analyze each minute points of given situation and express their own ideas individually. The situations given to the learners were contemporarily relevant one and they were able to did well. All the learners produce excellent results in these tasks.

Activity XX: Picture Difference In this activity the learners will be given a set of pictures which contain almost identical pairs of pictures. The researcher wanted her learners to identify differences in that identical pairs.

Table: 4:20 Checklist: Picture Difference Level/Tasks Non–Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 1. Picture 3.9 Ö 2. Picture 3.10 Ö 3. Picture 3.11 Ö 4. Picture 3.12 Ö 5. Picture 3.13 Ö

Description Picture Difference activity was given as an individual work. It demanded much attention to minutely different items. So the learners paid full concentration while doing this activity. Through this activity learners were asked to observe the pictures and then write down the difference they have noticed with these two pictures in grammatically correct sentences and talk about that differences in the class. Because of some careless mistakes half of the learners committed mistakes while doing the first two tasks. Last three tasks they did well and produced excellent results.

Assessment
The researcher has prepared about twenty activities in order to develop communicative English among the learners. These activities mainly focused on developing speaking, listening, reading and writing skills. At the beginning stage, they were not able to express themselves freely in English. During the end of the course all the learners were improved in their communication skills. All learners know the fundamentals in English. It was observed that they did not know where to apply it and where to use it. Most of the learners had completed their degree course in Tamil medium. Due to this fact they felt a kind of inferiority complex. They showed an extra interest and intention to speak in English. This initiative spirit helped them to attain their goal at the end.

Graphical Representation of Performance of the Learners
Graphical representation of data analysis shows the percentage of learners’ overall performance separately as non satisfactory, satisfactory and excellent. Graphical representation of table 4:21 is given in Fig 4.1. It shows the success of the present research. Table 4.21

Non Satisfactory Satisfactory Excellent 60 40 0 60 40 0 40 60 0 20 80 0 40 60 0 60 40 0 80 20 0 40 60 0 60 40 0 0 100 0 40 60 0 0 100 0 0 100 0 0 60 40 0 60 40 0 40 60 0 20 80 0 60 40 0 0 100 0 40 60 Fig.4.1


CHAPTER–V

SUMMATION

Language is an important medium of communication. Communication will be meaningful when we use words and actions together instead of mere jesters. Language is an essential medium of communication. Language development is a gradual process. Language learning is a skill developing process. It needs continuous training and frequent practice. One cannot learn a new language all of a sudden. It will develop gradually from Listening, Speaking, Reading and then Writing. This is the normal course of development of mother tongue in a child. Here child learns language at first as utterances, single words, phrases and then sentences.

English is a foreign language to Indians. The students have not been grown up in this language atmosphere. The grammatical structure of English and our regional languages are entirely different. Thus this language is an alien one and became a ‘promissory note’ for most of us. Indians feel this language more difficult to learn because of their attitude towards this language. They hate English because they hate British people.

Now this situation has changed and people understand the value of English education. Soft skills and communication skills are unavoidable elements in today’s job market. This demand changed the condition of school and college education scenario. Now more students are opting for English medium education. Even parents who were uneducated were ready to provide English education to their children. But even after these changes, the condition of English language in our learners were not changed. Though these learners are undergoing their education in English medium schools, they were trained in rote memorization. Defective execution of curriculum and evaluation system were some reasons behind this. Again teachers were not concentrating on the communicative part of language than their syllabus. Traditional method of teaching will not provide adequate development in target language. This condition forced most of our learners and job seekers to buy ‘spoken English’ books and materials or to attend some crash training programme for 24hrs, three weeks, Six months etc. One can find a great rush in spoken English institutions. Today it has become a flourishing business. But it is not sure that, whether the learners were able to attain their target after attending these crash courses. In most of the training programmes, they were given training only in the fundamental rules of grammar. They will be provided with some example. They will not get any chance to use this language. Thus these learners lack practical usage of grammar.

Present research is also dealt with this problem. Learners, who had completed their degree course need to have good communication skills in order to communicate with his occupational settings, use language with more generalized set of academic skills like research, seminars etc and ability to use language in everyday informal talk.

This present research is aimed at developing communicative English among learners of post graduate course. For this the researcher has framed some activities according to their needs. These activities were not focusing on the grammatical accuracy but on the development of communicative ability which lead to grammatical accuracy. At the end of this course, it is viewed that all the learners who were participated in this course were able to perform well in their second language.

Observation Learners in this course are undergoing their post graduate degree in various subjects. They know the grammatical rules of second language.. They were aware of tenses. Due to direct translation of matter from mother tongue to English they have committed lot of mistakes and they were confused with its usage. Another defect the researcher noticed was lack of reading habits. Because of this, they find it difficult to use suitable vocabulary to express their ideas. They were often confused with numbers and tenses,usage of plural forms and pronouns. Stage fear was another problem for committing frequent mistakes. Often they know the answer and idea but were unable to express that in second language. After the practice of fifth activity, they felt confidence to express themselves before the class.


Consolidation The researcher had prepared twenty activities with five tasks each in every activity. One task in each activity was given as a model of how to do that activity. After that they were asked to do the same task once again. This helps to give confidence to do the remaining tasks in the learners.

First activity demands the ability to describe persons and objects. Learners did only the first activity as satisfactorily. They commit lot of mistakes in tenses. And personal pronouns, For e.g.: She’s, He’s, They’s instead of Her, him, them etc.

Second activity was also the continuation of first activity. Here learners were asked to describe objects they were familiar to. Here researcher helped learners to select suitable vocabulary for describing. While doing guessing activity they were confused with the uses of tense in present and future forms. Case study demands practical experience and newspaper reading from learners. Here they felt difficult to support their ideas with suitable examples. Group activities helped to overcome fear in learners. At first they used mother tongue for discussion. But later they were encouraged to use second language and they were asked to correct with in their peer groups. For each group activity, the group members were rotated and all the learners get chance to became leader and present their group’s ideas. After fifth activity learners were ready to express themselves even if they did not have much idea about the given topic. This indicates the success of this course.

For the sixth activity, they were asked to write dialogue and role play. Dialogue writing needs knowledge of colloquial language usage. At first most of the learners wrote it in indirect speech. For activity VII, learners were asked to find out solution for the given problems. Here also they felt lack of vocabulary to express their views. In the next activity learners were given training in brain storming. In Improvisation learners felt difficult to express themselves freely in the given situation. They took much time for its preparation and utterance of words in immediate situation.

Letter writing was a familiar activity for learners and they felt easy to do this activity and they were able to produce satisfactory results. Report writing was another activity in which learners get confused with tense and reported speech. In Describing Characteristics and Forseeing results, learners commit mistakes in sentence construction. Debate was a spirited activity in which learners felt no hesitation to express their ideas and disagreements freely. Publicity campaign is another activity which incorporates dialogue writing and script writing. Each learner brought out different views and ideas and they did well in this exercise. While doing public talk, learners felt easy and frequency of errors became decreased. Review writing was another activity where learners felt difficult because lack of reading habits. Pros and cons and Picture difference activities felt easy for them.

All these activities were intented to mould the whole personality of learners. Through these activities, they were not only able to develop their language, but also their manners, total behavior and soft skills. Thus at the end of this course, researcher felt that, all the learners who were participated in this course get benefited and they could communicate freely in any situation they were encountered with.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

Bachman, Lyle.F. Fundamental Considerations in Language Testing. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1990.

Beck, Andrew, Peter Bennet and Peter Wall. As Communication Studies: The Essential Introduction. London: Routlege, 2001.

Bond, Linda A. “Norm and Criterion Referenced Testing”. Practical Assessment, Research and Evaluation Nov.(1999). Aug.1-2008.
<http://www.PAREonline.net/getvn.asp?v=s$n=2.html.>

Brumfit, C.J and K. Johnson, eds, The Communicative Approach to Language Teaching. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1987.

Carter, Ronald and David Nunan. The Cambridge Guide to Teaching English to Speakers of Other Language. UK: Cambridge Up, 2001.

Chaudhury, Shreesh, “ELT in India:400 Years and Still Going Strong” The Hindu 5 May 2000. 14 June 2008 <http://www.hidu.com/thehindu/nic/indez.htm.>

Clyde, A. Warden. “Different Attitudes Among Non-English Major EFL Student”. The Internet TEST Journal April (1998) Aug. 2008.
<http://www.cyat.edu.tw/cyaogangUniversityofTechnology.html>

Davison, Jon and John Moss, eds. Issues in English Teaching. London: Routledge, 2000. Doff, Adrian and Christopher Jones. Language in Use: Upper Intermediate Classroom Book. New Delhi: Foundations Books Pvt, Ltd., 2004.

Edmen, Joan Van. Effective Communication for Science and Technology. New York: Palgrave Pub. Ltd., 2001.

“English Skills and Success”. Universal Education May 2007: 39-41

Freeman, Diane Larsen. Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching. New Delhi: Oxford UP, 2004.

Gilfert, Susan. “Developing Effective Communication Strategies for Non-English Majors in Japanese University”. The Aichi Gakuin Research Journal. 45(2) Nov(1997). Aug.2008
<http://www.excite.comAichiGakuenUniversity/researchjournal/generalEducationfaculty.html.>

Goodland, Kansas. “Communicative Curriculum Design for the 21st Century.” English Teaching Forum. 1998. 2 Jan. 2007 <http://iteslj.org/articles.html>.

Goodman, Sharon and David Graddol, eds, Redesigning English New Texts, New Identities. London: Routledge, 1996.

Graham, Suzanne, Effective Language Learning. London: Multilingual Matters Ltd., 1998.


Harmer, Jeremy. How to Teach English. London: Pearson Education Ltd., 1998.

Hubbard, Peter, etal. A Training Course for TEFL.Oxford: Oxford UP, 1998.

“Industrial Park at Gangaikondan”. The Hindu 10 May 2007. Tvm ed. :1

Jayakumar, R. Daniel. “English for India in a Flat World”. The Journal of English Language Teaching (India) XLV/6 (2007): 30-34.

Kathleen,S. “Testing Communicative Competence”. The Internet TESL Journal II.5 May (1996). 30 June 2008< http://www.iteslj.org/journals.html.>

Klippel, Friederike. Keep Talking. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2004.

Krishnaswamy,N. and T.Sriraman. Teaching English in India. Madras: T.R.Publications, 1994.

Kudchedkar,S,ed. English Language Teaching in India. Hydrabad: Orient Longman Pvt. Ltd., 2002.

“Learning and Teaching Assesment”. De Montfort University Online March(2003). Aug.2008 <http://www.dmu.ac.uk/james/teaching/assessment.html>.

Littlewood, William. Communicative Language Teaching. 2nded. Cambridge: Cambridge U P, 2005.

Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, 3rd ed. England: Longman Group Ltd., 1995. Louma, Sari. Assessing Speaking. UK: University of Cambridge, 2004.

McDonald, Jo and Christopher Shaw. Materials and Methods in ELT. Cambridge: Blackwell Pub. Ltd., 2004.

Mishra, Sharda. UGC and Higher Education System in India. Jaipur: Book
Enclave, 2006.

Montgomery, Martin. An Introduction to Language and Society. 2nd ed. London: Routledge, 1995.

Muthukumaran, S. “Education for All”. Universal Education Oct. 2007: 53-58.

Nunan, David. Designing Tasks for the Communicative Classroom. Cambridge: Press Syndicate of Cambridge University 1998.

Pitroda, Sam and Montek Singh Ahluwalia. “National Knowledge Commission 20th October 2006.” National Knowledge Commission. Oct (2006). 28may 2008.
<http://knowledgecommunision.gov.in/recommendations/languageletterPM.html.>

Richard, Jack C., and Theodore S. Rogers. Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching. New York: Cambridge UP, 1991.

Schiffrin, Deborah. Approaches to Discourse. Cambridge: Blackwell Pub. Ltd. 1995.

Sharma, Diwakar. Teaching English as a Second Language. New Delhi: Deep and Deep Pvt. Ltd., 2007. Sharma, Ramkumar. Problems and Solutions of Teaching English. New Delhi: Janaki Prakashan, 1999.

Sharma, Vandana. “The Art of Communication”. The Journal of English Language Teaching (India) XLIV/5 (2006): 41-43.

Sharp, Andrew, ed. The English Levellers. UK: Cambridge UP, 2002.

Skehan, Peter. Individual Differences in Second Language Learning. U.K.: Edward Arnold, 1989.

Spratt, Mary, Allan Pulverness and Melanie Williams. The TKT: Teaching Knowledge Test Course. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2005.

Srinivasan and Prisccilla. “The Future of Arts and Science Education” The Hindu. 7 Jan. 2008, Tvm ed. :1.

Sudhindra. “Helping Students to Understand Basic Concepts” The Hindu 20 Nov. 2007, Tvm ed. :5.

Thomas, Ann Malamah. Classroom Interaction. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1991.

‘Tirunelveli’. Wikipedia.org. May (2007).28 May 2008.
<http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirunelveli.html>

Ur, Penny, A Course in Language Teaching Practice and Theory. UK: Cambridge UP, 2006.

---, ed. Discussions that Work: Task Centered Fluency Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2004.

Wajrynb, Ruth. Classroom Observation Task. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2003.

Widdowson, H.G. Teaching Language as Communication. New York: Oxford UP, 1985.


Imprint

Publication Date: 02-24-2009

All Rights Reserved

Next Page
Page 1 /