Cover

Community Empowerment - Issues and Challenges

PARTICIPATORY COMMUNICATION FOR GENDER EQUALITY IN RURAL COMMUNITY

 

Prof. D.B. KRISHNA KUMARI

Head, Dept. and Centre for Women’s Studies, S.P. Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupati

 

Introduction

Women and men have different and unequal resources and responsibilities, which have implications on their existing and potential capacity to contribute to development. Development policy and planning must take cognizance of this if it is to ensure efficient and equitable use of scarce resources. The roles that women play are different in any given society and their situation is determined by the legislation, religious norms, economic status or class, cultural values, ethnicity and types of productive activity of their country, community and household. Examining gender relations as power relations makes clear that these are sustained by the institutions within which gender relations occur. For women, absence of power results in the lack of access to and control over resources, a coercive gender division of labour, devaluation of their work, and a lack of control over their own labour, mobility as well as sexuality and fertility.

Transformation for gender equality envisages the empowerment of women, requiring conditions that enable women to exercise their autonomy; it also envisages a process of self-empowerment, in which women begin to re-examine their lives critically and collectively. Measures of gender equality, therefore, require an assessment of the degree to which resources have been redistributed; whether State policy has facilitated women’s autonomy; and the extent to which unequal gender relations have been transformed.

Women are an integral part of farming households. They produce over half of the food in many developing countries, bear the most responsibility for household food security and contribute to household well being through their income – generating activities. In most of the areas in India sex-based division of labour is fairly rigid. The rural women participate in almost all the agricultural operations, but there are certain activities which have traditionally been left to women such as post harvest processing, weeding, storage, winnowing, bird scaring, drying and cleaning of produce. The nature and extent of women’s participation in rural sector, however vary from State to State, caste to caste, crop to crop, age of women etc. Their participation is higher than men and her partnership/involvement in agriculture can be described as a manager, decision maker and labourer.

The following table no 1 clearly states about women’s contribution and consequences in the rural economy:

Table – 1

I. GENDER BASED DIFFERENCES IN RURAL ECONOMY

Access to

Gender-Based Differences

Consequences on Woman

Land

Land title and tenure tend to be vested in men by legal or socio-cultural norms

Small holdings, No resources and entitlements

Extension and Training

Extension is provided by male agents. Male – Female contact is culturally restricted

Ignorance of women, over workload, responsibilities and constraints

Technology

Difficulties in access, cultural restriction, consideration of women’s crops and livestock as low priorities

Lower levels of technology and skill development

Finance

Limited education and mobility, socio cultural barriers, requirement of collateral security

Less access to formal financial services.

Time

Work longer total hours on productive and household work and paid and unpaid work.

Gender – based divisions of labour in child care and household responsibilities

Mobility

Over burden of work and socio-cultural norms

Less mobile

Education and raining

Less educated and illiteracy

Less access to technical information on farm sector and allied activities

In general women have to perform several activities and roles compared to that of men in the same household:

  • A wider range of tasks and enterprises

  • Different production objectives and

  • Dissimilar production constraints.

Although rural women are assuming an increasingly prominent role in agriculture, they remain among the most disadvantaged of population. Food and Agricultural Organization’s (FAO) studies demonstrate that while women in most developing countries are the mainstay of agricultural sectors, the farm labour force and food systems (and day to day family subsistence), they have been the last to benefit from or in some cases have been negatively affected by-prevailing economic growth and development processes. Gender bias and Gender blindness persist but the farmers are still generally perceived as ‘male’ by policy makers, development planners and agricultural service deliverers.

The following table No. 2 clearly states the gender issues in rural sector and how the actions should be taken for women’s visibility in development:

Table - 2

II. GENDER ISSUES IN RURAL SECTOR

Action to be taken

visibility for women share

1. Policies

Correct de-jure gender bias and ensure a gender – balanced approach.

Legal Equality:

- Property law, land title, and tenure

- Access to credit and savings

Gender Explicit in:

National development plan

Rural Development plan

- Agricultural development plan

2. Assess gender relations in the household

Specifying action on the differences and needs expressed by the rural women.

Women’s participation in family and community decision making.

- Male-Female contact culturally restricted

- Gender difference in customary law

3. Determine number of de facto women heads of farming households and women role in rural sector.

Special actions to ensure that women’s access to farming resources, services and opportunities can be designed as needed.

4. Expertise and pressure groups for gender

Potential partners, implementers and sources of information can be identified.

The visibility of women in rural sector depend upon the structural transformation.

III. INFORMATION SCENARIO OF RURAL WOMEN

The dissemination of information for everyday need of rural women will have certain notable features:

The agencies generating such information have made use of a wide range of media to disseminate their messages from the traditional folk media to the most modern ICT and technology for growing community participation.

The majority of women are living in isolation without coverage of supportive services and development plan, are poorly represented in rural sector. They have no access to information and communication services and limited coverage of rural community media.

The development of new insights and perspectives among rural communities especially are important in decision making and well being of rural women. Better information services help to achieve a society in which citizen’s, human relationships in their own communities and between people of different cultures, traditions and countries contribute to better understanding for world co-operation. An information system aims to cater to the information requirements of a broad range of users. The participatory methods using visual and verbal model of communication have been effectively used for appraisal, planning, monitoring and evaluation of the development programmes. The use of methods alone is not enough to sustain the participation of the community in the development process. Other significant aspects which need to be strengthened include the institutionalization of the processes, delegation of responsibility and decentralization of decision making and resource allocation.

The roles of different actors can be geared towards the realization of the rural development through empowerment of women/people. There is a need to create an environment where people themselves are the key actors, and all the other actors play a facilitative and supportive role- NGO sector, Government sector (decision makers, policy makers, politicians).

The following chart clearly states about the percolation process from top to bottom approach:

Several studies have shown that women’s commitment is greater in the maintenance and protection of agriculture, nature resource management and rural sector. Women’s activities in the rural areas are changing with mounting pressure on land, environmental degradation, increased rural poverty and male out migration. Female headed households, in particular may suffer from labour constraints, especially for the typically male task of land preparation. In addition, house hold data often underestimate the proportion of de facto female headed households. Women tend to concentrate their agricultural activities around the households, primarily because of their domestic and reproductive roles, they play a crucial role in food production, post harvest activities, livestock care, nature resource management, cash cropping etc. Even certain tasks, activities or enterprises are regarded as “female” and “male”.

The participation of the people is increasingly emphasized as one of the key requirements for rural sector. A participatory approach drawn out complex and multiple pressures and enables the local people to apprise, analyse, plan, act, monitor and evaluate the results or changes of interventions, made by Government and NGO’s. The analytical focus is on the group rather than the individual and on comparing rather than measuring. There are three broad reasons for women’s involvement in the rural sector:

  1. Depletion of natural resources affects women more severely than men.

  2. Women are marginalized not only in socio-economic structures but as a group in most of the development projects/process. This will provide more access and control to income, natural resources and enhance their knowledge and skills and

  3. Women have vast traditional knowledge about various species, forest produce and its uses, seeds, agriculture practices, water harvesting and its use. Their involvement ensure more optimal utilization of the talents and knowledge.

Separate tasks

In this pattern, some or all of the tasks within a single cycle are assigned by gender. Common tasks assignments include the following:

  • Men prepare the ground, women plant or transplant the crop.

  • Seed selection and storage is done by women in many systems.

  • Ploughing is done by men.

  • Certain types of plant protection may be assigned to women

  • Certain kinds of harvesting tasks may be assigned by gender.

  • Post harvest processing and storage of cereals, vegetables, tree crops and dairy products are often women’s tasks.

  • Care of animals when they are young or sick is often women’s work.

  • Milking is often assigned to one sex or the other.

The following are the some of the factors affecting women’s participation in rural sector:

  • Balancing triple roles: Women are not only performing household chores and child care but also working on farms and other income generating activities. As a result they have little time for community work.

  • Inconvenient time and duration of extension visits: Inconvenient timing and long hours of meetings/extension lecturers were impracticable for women to participate.

  • Resistance from village men: lack of support and discouragement in the family resist their presence.

  • Lack of self confidence and interest: Women are trapped in a vicious cycle where they feel that they posses only few skills to sustain in public sphere and they are confined to domestic sphere.

  • Lack of interest: Fear of intimidation is one of the main obstacles to the participation of poor and lower caste women.

IV. PARTICIPATORY COMMUNICATION AND RURAL WOMEN

Communication creates awareness about new things and a desire for change leading to development. Significance of communication in equipping people with new information and skills and mobilizing them for their willingness and participation in various development programmes is important. Democratization of information, education and communication (IEC) are pre-requisites of grass root development, more so in the case of women. Two way communication helps sharing and participation of the rural women for sustainable development.

As the participation of women was considered as one of the important component for their empowerment, women’s equal participation in decision making process, policy and administration is essential. Therefore effective techniques for their involvement in different issues of rural economy should be used for their sustainability, equality and empowerment.

V. METHODS OF PARTICIPATORY COMMUNICATION

Broadly speaking the following are the methods to be utilized for raising participation and involvement of the women for the development of rural sector under three categories: (i) Individual method, (ii) Group Method and (iii) Mass Method. The extension workers have to play important role to facilitate the rural women/people to participate in the process of information, storage, retrieval and dissemination in modern and traditional communication channels. They have to lay an intermediary role between the stakeholders of rural development and rural people for their two way involvement/process or top to bottom or bottom to top approaches for their emancipation.

(i) Individual method:

In this method, the extension worker communicates with the women individually, maintains separate identity of each person. It is used for small groups and it involves less time. It enhance effectiveness of group and facilitates getting feedback information.

This method further is divided into three, 1. Group and Home Visit: It is a direct face to face contact by the extension worker with the woman or homemaker, their home or farms for extension work. 2. Office Call: it is a call made by a women or home maker for obtaining information and assistance, and 3. Personal letter: It is written by the extension worker to particular women or homemaker in connection with extension work.

(ii) Group Method:

In this method the extension worker should visit the grass root areas by arranging demonstrations, group meeting, focus group discussions, small group training, field visit, study tour etc., for women groups or DWCRA groups or IKP. The size may be from 50 to 100 members and bring structural and socio-economic changes in the rural areas.

(iii) Mass Method:

a. News letter:

Women from the poor marginalized communities are trained to become community reporters. Women gather news by travelling across many mandals, write and edit their new paper. The community news letter is an ongoing process and it contains case studies, caste politics, stories about their own lives, livelihoods etc.

These practices raise skills, initiation, understanding of their problems, curiosity in solving them and awareness generation on crucial development areas.

b. Community Radio: (mana radio)

This community radio used by the women groups as an instrument for enhancing their livelihoods had fought many gender and socio-economic battles, including gender/caste discrimination, problems of rural economy.

A simple transmitter based radio equipment to cover a village and the women getting trained in producing and handling programming including voice modulation, script writing, broadcasting techniques and developing programming content would be of great importance. They discuss local news, regional issues, agricultural practices and other income generating activities.

c) Community Theatres – Kalajatha:

Kalajatha, the popular name for rural theater which covers the gamut of rural art forms is used effectively for information dissemination on development and issues.

d) Television:

Television has emerged as probably the most powerful mass medium for disseminating information speedily. It is suitable for creating general awareness buildup desirable change in attitude and reinforce learning. Around 93 percent of population is covered by television network.

e) Information and Communication Technology (ICT):

ICTs are important tools to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment. It will articulate women at the grass roots, their experiences, concerns, perceptions, needs and provide necessary information, insights to transform them into active conscious and confident participants in the community.

VI. Participatory interventions for the empowerment of rural women

  1. Formation of Women’s Groups: Women are strong in groups. To counter powerlessness and lack of participation in development process they need collective effort to achieve self confidence and self image.

Initially, Deccan Development Society (DDS) working in Medak district of Andhra Pradesh focused on men for their upgradation of technical expertise. The women questioned this and with the support of DDS they demanded for the establishment of women’s sangams for thrift activities. It was noticed as a visible difference between men’s groups and women’s groups. Women are effective, honest and not defaulters for the repayment of small loans taken for household purposes. Then DDS changed its focus and targeted for the empowerment of village women which was responsible for their self confidence and self worth.

In another instance, while discussing about the choice of income generating activities, women opted to buy buffaloes, while men wanted to buy grains. According to women, buffaloes would provide not only milk for personal consumption and selling purposes but also for dung whereas buying grain would have lead to only one time consumption.

  1. Self Help: Recently the concept of ‘self help’ has taken different manifestation for the economic empowerment of women. It raises effective participation, control and authority over their affairs. It would provide exchange of experiences individually and collectively.

  2. Skill Development: Skill in farming sector for women raise their productivity, participation and empowerment.

Under watershed development programme, small arable land was given to some landless women groups on lease basis for a family of four. Training inputs were given on green manure, recycled waste and other related techniques, with the intention to raise productivity and ensure food security.

The impact of the project was pointed out by Seema Kulkarni, an activist that it contributed:

  • Greater self confidence and more negotiating skills within the family.

  • Leadership qualities among the group members and

  • Access to information and rapport development with local Government Officials.

  1. Networking: Networking with NGOs and GOs in addressing pressing need of women’s issues on farming sector and national resources management actually promoted women’s voice to facilitate different schemes for community development. They can demand for more benefits and recognized them as a legitimate constituents.

  2. Adoption of villages: Adoption of villages by the Government or NGOs for its development and provision of certain special programmes to overcome certain critical issues, to provide basic needs and safety nets in the rural areas is important. It is also necessary to improve the involvement of people to participate for the development of villages.

Utthan was an organization established in 1980s to conserve and convert saline land into productive land, to solve water crisis and to provide economic empowerment for women’s groups at Bhavnagar city, Gujarat.

Few villages were selected to solve the problems of water scarcity by involving SHG women in “Pani Samitis”, the support given by Utthan team where women actively participated in thrift, worked of the people and facilitated accessibility of domestic water.

The women managed effectively and saved saved 5 hours of time per day in collecting water. As a result the female heads used the saved time for income generation, retention rates of girls increased, had sufficient time to participate in community programmes, training programmes and exposure visits provided by Utthan. Thus the women actively involved in the construction and supervision of water infrastructure.

  1. Interventions for empowerment of rural women:

Formation of information groups: Form information groups in the grassroot areas for exchange of information among the women. The Group leaders and members have to be trained in information collection and dissemination and in turn apply in the community media channels.

Steps involved:

  • Trained catalyst.

  • Bi-weekly newsletter.

  • Performance appraisal of each group.

It encourage information dissemination within the community, a bi-weekly newsletter can be published on the lives and achievements of women. These groups are responsible for exchange of experiences, common ground for decisions and give more control of their lives. It provides an opportunity to advocate changes in policies, attitudes of social behaviour or customs that affect the gender friendly media policy.

Conclusion

Participatory communication in the rural areas would raise women’s participation in the development process of the rural sector and reduce the gender gap. Different methods of communication strategies involve the rural women to create equitable and self sustaining socio-economic system. The participatory communication reduces the power relations between men and women and there by transform the rural scenario. This will bring ‘a more informed citizenry is in a better position to exercise its rights and better able to carry out its responsibilities within the community’ which are essential for the empowerment of rural women.

References:

Aggarwal V. B. (1992) Mass Media in Rural Development – Some Research Issues, Communicator 27(4): 14-15.

Bhagyalakshmi J (2001) Meeting Communication Needs of Rural Women, Yojana, October.

Ranjani K Murthy (ed) (2001) Building Women Capacities – Interventions in Gender Transformation, Sage Publications, New Delhi.

Singh A. K. (2000) Agricultural Extension: Impact and Assessment AGROBIOs India, New Delhi.

Swaminathan M. S. (2005) Connecting Rural India, Hindu, Chennai, 19th October.

White, S.A. (1994). The Concept of Participation: Transforming Rhetoric to Reality in White, S.A. et al (1994) Paticipatory Communication: Working for Change and Development, Sage Publications, New Delhi, India.

 

 

 

Social Capital Development for Empowerment of women: A study on SHG Women in Chittoor District

 

Prof. R. Jayasree

Dept. of women’s studies, Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalaym Tirupati

 

Social capital is broadly defined as ‘the institution, relationships, attitudes and values that govern interaction among people and contribute to economics and social development. Social capital is the network that helps to create linkages that in turn forge rules, conventions and norms governing the development process at different levels in all societies. It is the network of relationships between the agents within an economy.Social capital is the expected collective or economic benefits derived from the preferential treatment and Co-operation between individual and groups. Social capital can increase productivity both individual and collective through, social contacts.

Mahyar Arefi (2004) identifies consensus building as a direct positive indicator of social capital. Consensus implies shared interest and agreement among various actors and stakeholders to induce collective action. Collective action is an indicator of increased social capital. Social capital has multiple dimension and definitions. It has been used at various times to explain superior managerial performances, the growth of entrepreneurial firms, improved performance of functionally diverse groups. Early attempts to define social capital focused on the degree to which social capital as a resource should be used for public good or for the benefits of individuals.

According to Robert Putnam, social capital refers to the collective value of all social networks and the intimations that arise from these networks to do things for each other .Social capital is a key component to building and maintain democracy. He believes that social capital can be measured by the amount of trust and reciprocity in a community or between individuals. Putnam suggested that social capital would facilitate co-operation and mutually supportive relation in communities and nation and would therefore be a valuable means of combating many of the social disorders inherent in modern societies. Social capital is anything that facilitates individual or collective action generated by networks of relationships , reciprocity trust and social norms. The social capital foundation suggested that social capital should not be mixed up with its manifestations. Social capital is often understood as the networks that a person possesses and that he / she may use in social integration purpose. According to Coleman social capital is a neutral resource that facilitates any manner of action, but whether society is better off as a result depends entirely on the individual uses to which it is put.

According to Fukuyama (1999) social capital can be defined simply as a set of informed values or norms shared among members of a group that permits Co-operation among them. Social capital refers to the institutions, relationship and norms that shape the quality and quantity of a society’s social interactions. Social relationship between the members of a community help them to bring together as a common entity. The value of good interaction and relationships within the community and with the other people can consider as a ‘capital’. Social Capital refers to the relationship between people and not just people themselves. It is an invisible form of capital as it is build upon unseen social structures and relationships that form the foundation of network.

Social capital can be good for the public as well as private is the cost and benefits of the individuals connections. The social activities done by the group members and their efforts may lead to the common community. Civic engagements and social capital are interrelated because frequent interaction among various types of people tends to produce a norm of reciprocity. Social networks and reciprocity make possible a norm of generalized benefit. Social capital is a necessary compliment to natural physical, political and human capitals. It is not enough to construct infrastructure facilities to enhance economic growth of the community. It may be developed as a byproduct of other activities as well as purposively. It also consists of the acquisition of new capacities as well as the learning of constraints. Many of the skills a person acquires involve the imposition of discipline upon oneself. Social capital is a relation based resource in the sense that it exists not as a property of individuals but in their relations with other individuals.

In the above context the present paper tries to analyse the dimension of social capital and its impact of empowerment among the SHG women.

The present paper is based on an empirical study carried out in Chittoor District of Andhra Pradesh. A sample of 300 SHG women were selected from Tirupati and Chittoor Division of Chittoor District. To study the dimensions of social capital and empowerment ,the variables selected were :- networking, participation and social empowerment ; Self reliance and self confidence; Trust and solidarity; political participation and political empowerment.

Social Networking and participation among SHG Women :-

Networking and participation referenced to the informal networks that leads to the exchange of information and resources with in the members of the SHG group and the community their Co-operation, Co-ordination and mutual assist that helps to maximize the resources by the interaction between various physical, technological economic, socio cultural and institutional factors. As a strategy it is designed to improving living standards of the masses of low – income population residing in rural and tribal areas and making the process of their development self sustaining.

Self Help movement through savings has been taken up as a mass movement by women a path chosen by them to shape their destiny for better. As a result of social networking and participation most of the women developed self confidence, courage and initiation for planning, organizing and also associating themselves with group activities. Infact prior to their association with SHG, they could not raise a word against their husbands, when they were indulging in alcoholism. Now they used to question their husbands alcoholism, more over as a group activity they could participate movements against alcoholism and violence against women. In addition they are involved actively in decision making in the family regarding children’s education and other family related matters. Frequent interaction of women themselves and group pressure largely contributed to large scale adoption of family planning and small family size norm. During the group meetings women discuss the issues and problems related to them like alcoholism, health, family planning and abuse by husbands. If any women is abused by the husband or family members the group handles the situation jointly. Women gained courage and individuality through the Group. (Mahadevan etal 2002).

For the present analysis to evaluate the social networking and social empowerment fifteen variables were formulated with a five point scale and the variable selected were ;-getting help from group when needed; participation in community action; have a feeling of social security; freedom to mix with friends and neighbors; feeling as part of team work; participation in decision about family / friends; decision making in children’s education; participation against alcoholism and violence; helps received from friends / neighbours on economic crisis; feeling of concern towards sick, suffering and the marginalized; feeling as part of solving local community problems; trust the community; motivate the people to join SHG; borrowing money in distress and willingness to contribute time and money for beneficiary project. The five point scale was used to collect the responses of the above variable from the respondents. On the basis of the scores obtained the respondents were classified in to High, Moderate and Low levels of social networking and empowerment.

The table 1 illustrated that among the respondents only 7% percent of them had high score of networking and empowerment. On the other hand more than 50% belongs to moderate level and 36 percent of the respondents had low level of Networking and empowerment. The mean score of was 54.526. While comparing the mean score of social empowerment before and after joining the SHG movement, the mean score of empowerment before was 49.206 and after joining SHG the mean score has been increased to 54.526. It has been significant at 0.5 percent level.

As a result of Social networking and participation of women in SHG contributed a larger extend of changes in the family and society. This empowerment is a process to change the distribution of power in inter personal relations among different people, culture and activities of the society. In the past awareness regarding the society was unknown to the women but present women are equally participating in all activities of the society.

Self reliance and self confidence

To study the self reliance and self confidence the variables selected were. Have self confidence. Have courage, Have self reliance, Feeling of Safety and security, feeling at Home in the Group. Among the respondents only 9 percent of them had high level of self reliance and self confidence score. Three fourth of the respondents (76%) had moderate level of self confidence followed by 15% of the respondents had low level of self retiance and self confidence. While analysing the mean score before and after joining the SHG group, a significant level of difference can be observed it was 19.65 and 21.073 before and after respectively.

Political participation / Political Empowerment

Social capital offers a wealth of resources and networks that facilitate political engagement. Since social capital is readily available no matter the type of community, it is able to override more traditional queues for political engagement (e.g., education, employment, civil skills, etc.…). There are unique ways in which women organize. These differences from men make social capital more personable and impressionable to women audiences thus creating a stronger presence in regards to political engagement. A few examples of these characteristics are:

  • Women's informal and formal networks tend toward care work that is often considered apolitical.

  • Women are also more likely to engage in local politics and social movement activities than in traditional forums focused on national politics.

  • Women are more likely to organize themselves in less hierarchical ways and to focus on creating consensus.

The often informal nature of female social capital allows women to politicize apolitical environments without conforming to masculine standards, thus keeping this activity off the radar.

Political participation is yet another important determinant of empowerment of women. For the present analysis to assess the political participation the following variables were considered:- holding a political position; freedom to participate political activities / movements; participation in gramsabha and other public discourse; awareness on political institutions and awareness on Human Rights and Legislation related to women. The results showed that only 2 % of the SHG women had high level of empowerment score. The highest percentage 62% of the SHG women had moderate level of political empowerment as against 36 percent belongs to low level of empowerment. The mean score is 7.48. It has also been noticed that the mean score obtained by the SHG women group before joing the group was 6.56. It is significant at 0.05 level.

Hence the political component would encampass the ability of organize and mobilize the women for change. Consequently an empowerment process must involve not only individual awareness but collective awareness and collective action. The notion of collective action is fundamental to the aim of attaining social transformation.

Trust and Solidarity:

A growing body of research has found that the presence of social capital through social networks and communities has a protective quality on health. Social capital affects health risk behavior in the sense that individuals who are embedded in a network or community rich in support, social trust, information, and norms, have resources that help achieve health goals. Social capital also encourages social trust and membership. These factors can discourage individuals from engaging in risky health behaviors such as smoking and drinking.

Trust and solidarity is one of the dimensions of social capital. For the present study the respondents were asked about a range of trust on different types of people like:- people from own SHG group people from other group, officials and NGO’s / Bank, Teachers, Anganwadi workers and family members. It has been found that trust and solidarity is greater among the people from own SHG group, followed by members of own family and community. Trust and solidarity of other SHG group is only small extend. The members expressed trust and solidarity towards the bank and NGO’s on a greater extend.

Impact of Social capital on SHG Women

In general as a result of their group activity SHG women have totally changed their lifestyles. They developed self confidence, courage and decision making capacities. They are confident enough to protest against violence and atrocities. Besides they have become economically independent.

Interacting with fellow women in large groups which has led to several advantages. Most of the members are able to gain information on several welfare and developmental activities and programmes because of their periodic interaction with other members and officials. This has helped them to develop a sense of self confidence.

Most of the women members are illiterate but due to the group activities they are intensely aware of the importance of education. They are giving highest priority to their children’s education. The dropout rate also reduced as a result of the SHG movement.

Empowerment and political action explores the sense of satisfaction, personal efficiency and capacity of network among the group members. Empowerment and political action enabled them to have contacts with the neighborhood association as well as in other networks of groups. The positive side of the social capital is the togetherness and closeness in the community. The study observed that there is a greater level of trust among group members, that enabled them to act against social evils and atrocities against women. All these aspects reveal that there is conducive atmosphere of networking and participation takes place among the SHG movement that in turn leads to community empowerment and wellbeing of society.

Table – 1 : Percentage distribution of SHG women on Networking and participation and Social Empowerment

Level of Empowerment

Frequency

Percentage

High

21

7.0

Moderate

171

57.0

Low

108

36.0

Total

300

100

Mean

54.526

 

SD

8.715

 

 

Mean Score Before and After joining SHG

Before

After

Mean difference

T Value

P

49.206

54.526

5.230

17.56

0.05

 

Table 2 : Self Reliance and Self Confidence

Levels of Self Reliance and Confidence

Frequency

%

High

27

9.0

Moderate

228

76.0

Low

45

15.0

Mean

21.073

 

SD

2.277

 

 

Mean score Before and After

Before

After

Mean difference

T Value

P

19.650

21.073

1.423

906

 

 

Table – 3 : Percentage distribution of Respondents by level of political participation and political empowerment

Political Empowerment

Frequency

%

High

6

2.0

Moderate

186

62.0

Low

108

36.0

Total

300

100

 

 

Mean

Before

After

Mean difference

6.560

7.480

0.920

 

 

References

  • Arefi, M. 2003, Revisiting the Los Angeles Neighborhood Initiative (LANI): Lessons for Planners. Journal of planning education and research, vol.22 iss.4 pg.384

  • Coleman, J.S. 1990, Foundations of Social Theory, Cambridge MA, Harvard University Press

  • Mahadevan et al ,K. 2002, Participatory Experiment in Holistic Rapid Development ( Eds ) B.R, Publishing  corporation, New Delhi

  • Putnam, Robert. 2000, "Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community" (Simon and Schuster).

  • Social capital,From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  • Sujeesh M.K. , 2014. Role of Gender and Social Capital in Sustainable livelihood promotion of Kadar Tribe. ( unpublished Ph.D. Thesis , Gandhigram Rural university, Tamil nadu.

 

 

THE WORKING OF SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONES IN INDIA

 

H. N. Devanand* & T. Rajendra Prasad**

*Assistant Professor, Centre for Rural Development Studies, Bangalore University

**Professor, Dept., of Economics, Bangalore University, Bangalore- 560 0056

 

INTRODUCTION

The 1991 reform has progressively opened up the economy to face effectively the new challenges and opportunities of the 21st century. Considering the need to enhance foreign investment and promote exports from the country and realizing the importance of domestic enterprises and manufacturers to be competitive globally the government had announced the introduction of Special Economic Zones (SEZ) policy during April 2000 through a revision in the Export and import Policy (Exam) 1997-2002.

SEZs are intended as engine for economic growth supported by quality infrastructure with minimum possible regulations, and an attractive fiscal package, both at level of central and state governments. Various incentives and facilities are offered to both SEZ developers and units in SEZ’s for attracting investments including foreign investment into SEZ’s.

These incentives and facilities are expected to trigger a large flow of foreign and domestic investment in SEZ’s in infrastructure and productive capacity, leading to generation of additional economic activity and creation of employment opportunities. With this background the present paper intend to examine the following:

  1. Emergence of Special Economic Zones

  2. Working of expand in India

  3. Prospects of expand

EMERGENCE OF SEZs:

The first expert processing zone in India in the name and style of Kandla Free Trade Zone at the port town Kandla in Gujarat became operational is 1966-1967. Keeping in view the rapid growth of demand for electronics products Santa Cruz electronics EPZ (SEEPZ) was planned as a single product zone for processing electronic goods for export. The second zone, SEEPZ was built at Mumbai in Maharashtra in September 1972 in order to cater to the proximity market and growing popularity of Indian gold and jewellery ornaments, SEEPZ was made a two product Zone in 1988, Standard Design Factory Building exclusively for Gem and Jewellery complex was constructed.

In 1983 it was decided to set-up four more EPZ’s in the state of Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Kerala and Uttar Pradesh, at Madras (MEPZ), Falta (FEPZ), Cochin (CEPZ) and small Noida (NEPZ) respectively. While MEPZ and FEPZ were operational during 1985-86, CEPZ and NEPZ commenced exports in 1986-87. The seventh zone was decided to be set up in Vishakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh) in 1989. EPZ at Vishakhapatnam (VEPZ) became operational from 1994-95.

The objectives of the Indian EPZs have been succinctly summed up by the Ministry of Commerce as ‘EPZs are intended to provide internationally competitive duty free environment for export production at low cost. The objectives to be achieved include increase in foreign exchange earnings and stimulation of domestic and foreign investment and creation of employment opportunities.

The EPZs in India were developed, owned and managed by the Central Government. The scope of the permitted activities for operating in the zone was initially limited to processing or manufacturing with project wise specified value addition norms for strict compliance. The scope was subsequently expanded to include activities like trading, reconditioning and re-engineering in the zone also with specific value addition guidelines.

It took almost five years for SEZ concept to take a definite shape in India. The concept of SEZ was the brain child of late Sri Murasoli Maran former Union. Commerce Minister. During his China visit he had occasion to visit some of the SEZs there and he was greatly impressed by the progress achieved by SEZs and their impact on the economy. He included the concept in the Export–Import Policy 2000. His idea was to create some SEZs in India and develop them on the lines of SEZs in China. He has the desire of using SEZ concept as a medium of speedy economic growth in India. Despite the prolong debate; the SEZs Act was passed in May 2005 in the Parliament. It received presidential assent on 23rd June 2005 and came into effect on February 2006 supported by SEZ Rules.

With the announcement of Special Economic Zone Scheme, three of the existing Export Processing Zones (EPZs) – at Kandla, Santa Cruz, Cochin were converted into SEZs with effect from November 1, 2000 so that they would be in a position to avail of the benefits of preferential policies and incentives offered to SEZs. And with effect from January 1, 2003 NEPZ, FEPZ, MEPZ and VEPZ also were converted into Special Economic Zones.

The policy provision for setting up of EPZs only by the Central Government was modified in 1994 to enable State Government, autonomous agencies and the private sector to develop infrastructure fornew zones or strengthen the same in existing zones. [46] The first private sector SEZ was developed at Surat (Gujarat) by the Diamond and Gem Development Corporation over an area of 123 acres (499000 sq.m.) with an initial investment of INR 32.46 crore in the year 1997. It commenced production from 2000-2001 with an export turnover of INR 62.28 crore in the first year itself. Surat Zone primarily caters to the diamond processing units involved in diamond cutting, finishing and diamond jewelry production for exports.

AN OUTLINE FRAMEWORK OF SEZS IN INDIA:

Considering the need to enhance foreign investment and promote exports from the country and realizing the need that level playing field must be made available to the domestic enterprises and manufactures to be competitive globally. An outline framework has been drafted (in the SEZs) by the central government in a manner in which to develop both manufacturing as well as to improve the export performance.

This policy intended to make SEZs an engine for economic growth supported by infrastructure complemented by an attractive fiscal package both at the central and state with the minimum possible regulations.

Special Economic Zone Act 2005:

Under the new legislation, SEZ would be treated as deemed foreign territory for trade operations, duties and tariffs, and supplies from domestic industry would be treated as exports. Goods and services going into the SEZ area from domestic tariff area (DTA) shall be treated as exports and goods coming from the SEZ area into DTA shall be treated as if these are being imported. The basic objective for setting up of SEZ has been spelt out:

  • Generation of additional economic activity.

  • Promotion of export of goods and services,

  • Promotion of investment from domestic and foreign sources,

  • Creation of employment opportunity, and

  • Development of infrastructure.

In addition, there would be many associated advantages accrued in the process and some of these are:

  • Acquiring and upgrading labour and management skills,

  • Attracting advanced technology,

  • Development of the region with feeder industry, and

  • Establishing linkage with rest of the economy.

Management Structure of SEZs

In India, the SEZs are constituted as departmental undertaking under Ministry of Commerce, Government of India. Each zone is headed by a Development Commissioner (DC), a civil servant, appointed by Central Government. The highest decision and policy making body is the concerned EPZ authority, which is headed by the Minister of State for Commerce in the Central Ministries and the state government as members along with DCs of the SEZs.

The Authority meets periodically to undertake a review of the SEZ and co-ordinates inter departmental issues.All approvals, licenses and other matters are dealt with by the concerned SEZ Board, which meets regularly under the Chairmanship of the Additional Secretary, Ministry of Commerce with representatives of concerned Ministries.

The responsibility for development, promotion and maintenance of SEZ vests with the Central Government in the Ministry of Commerce. The DCs have been delegated authority for the management of the zones including granting permission to functioning of the units. However, the State Governments provide support for power and water supply, public transport, approach road, beside requisite social and economic infrastructure such as housing, schools, hospital, shopping centres and recreational facilities. Pollution clearance certification, approval of building plans, registration as small scale unit and grant of public utility status are other matters which fall under the purview of the State Governments. But there is no direct involvement of State Governments in the management of the zone.

Facilities and Incentives for Units of SEZs

In addition to developed infrastructure, various other facilities and incentives offered by the Central Government to attract investment in the zone are as under:

  • Duty free procurement of capital goods, raw materials, consumable spares etc. from the domestic market.

  • No license required for import.

  • 100% Income Tax exemption on export income for SEZ units under Section 10A A of the Income Tax Act for first 5 years, 50% for next 5 years.

  • Exemption from minimum alternate tax under section 115JB of the Income Tax Act.

  • Manufacturing, trading or service activity allowed.

  • Domestic sales on the full custom duty subject to import policy in force,

  • Full freedom for subcontracting.

  • Subcontracting of part of production permitted abroad.

  • No routine examination of export and import cargo by customs.

  • Facility to realize and repatriate exports proceeds within 12 months.

  • Re-export imported goods found defective, goods imported from foreign suppliers on loan basis without G.R. waiver under intimation to the zone customs.

  • Facility to retain 100 percent Direct Investment in manufacturing sector allowed through automatic route barring few sectors.

  • Exempt from service tax,(subject to Export of Service Rules).

  • Exemption from Central and States Sales Tax (to sale made from domestic tariff area to SEZ units).

  • Facility to set up offshore banking units in SEZs.

  • 100 percent FDI to SEZ Franchisee for providing basic telephone service in SEZs.

  • External commercial borrowing by SEZ unit up to US $ 500 million in a year without any maturity restrictions through recognized banking channels.

  • Exemption from electricity duty.

  • Products manufactured and exported from the zone are exempted from export control order.

  • For every unit in the zone the percentage of scrap and waste is fixed, and this can be disposed of in the DTA after payment of duties.

  • Sale of 100 percent of production in the domestic market allowed against valid import license.

  • Packing credit facility for a period of 180 days without production to firm export order of Letter of Credit.

  • Term Finance is offered at concessional rate of interest for fixed assets,

  • Fully owned foreign companies can invest in the zone.

  • There is no bar for investment in the zone even in the area where foreign technical know-how and capital are barred for units in the DTA.

  • Rebate on warfare charges at the port.

  • POL products are made available at international prices.

  • Subject to adjustment against the normal entitlement within one year. trial production is allowed for sale in Advanced Domestic Tariff Area.

  • Supplies from DTA are treated as deemed exports and they are eligible for various benefits.

  • Capital goods from domestic, foreign leasing company can be sourced by SEZs,

  • Imported and manufactured goods can be transferred internally.

  • Debonding and one time conversion of EPCG scheme is permissible.

  • Third party can be involved in the Exports.

  • Private Bond houses can be set up in SEZ for stock and sale of duty free raw materials, components.

  • SEZ units carrying out re-conditioning, repair and re-engineering activities for export in freely convertible foreign currency can be set up.

  • 100 percent of export earnings at market rate can be converted and there is no restriction on foreign shareholding.

  • Foreign capital along with appreciation if any after payment of taxes can be repatriated.

  • Profits and Dividends can be remitted unrestrictedly.

  • SEZ units can club their earning with DTA parent house for claiming Export House, Trading House, and Star Trading House Status.

  • Procure goods from the DTA without payment of duty or import goods duty free for the development, operation and maintenance of SEZ.

  • Full freedom in allocation of developed plots to approved SEZ units on purely commercial basis.

  • Essential requirements like water, electricity, security are provided to all units in the zone on priority.

Incentives by State Government

While the basic infrastructure within the zone is provided by the zone developers, certain other associated social infrastructure specifically for the industries in the zone is taken care of by the State Government. These include:

  • State financial corporations assist in getting necessary financial assistance for the units.

  • Zone units are declared as public utility services under the Industrial Disputes act and strikes without adequate notice are rendered illegal.

  • Sales Tax exemption in respect of the zone units for export production.

Facilities for Developments of SEZs

The Government has also announced a range of facilities for the develops of SEZs subject to meeting the prescribed guidelines as per SEZ Rules, 2006 and these include:

  • Duty free import/domestic procurement of goods for development, operation and maintenance of SEZs and SEZ units.

  • Full freedom in allocation of developed plots to approved SEZ units on purely commercial basis.

  • Full authority to provide services like water, electricity, security, restaurants, recreation centres etc. on commercial lines.

  • Facility to develop township within the SEZ with residential areas, markets, play grounds, clubs and recreation centres etc. with 100 percent FDI.

  • Income Tax exemption on income derived from the business of development of the SEZ in a block of 10 years in 15 years under Section 80-IAB of the Income Tax Act.

  • Exemption from minimum alternate tax under Section 115 JB of the Income Tax Act.

  • Exemption from dividend distribution tax under Section 1150 of the Income Tax Act.

  • Exemption from Service Tax

  • Exemption from Central Sales Tax on sales made from Domestic Tariff Area to SEZ’s

  • External commercial borrowing by SEZ units up to US $ 500 million in a year without any maturity restriction through recognized banking channels.

  • Permission to carry forward losses.

  • Treating supplies from domestic tariff area to SEZ at par with physical exports for the purpose of income tax exemption.

SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONES RULES, 2006

In exercise of the powers conferred by section 55 of the Special Economic Zones Act, 2005 the Central Government notified the Special Economic Zones Rules, 2006 on February 10, 2006. The rule comprehensively provides the essential requirements for setting up a unit in a SEZ, guidelines for the developer, the procedure to be followed from submission of application for approval, procedure for procurement of inputs, sub-contracting from outside, sale in DTA, monitoring of the performance of individual unit to de-bonding of the unit. The salient features are:

Size of the SEZs: the requirement of land area/built up space for different categories of zones as specified in the rule are as under;

  • A multi-product zone to have a minimum area of the thousand hectares and not exceeding five thousand hectares, and incase the zone is proposed to be set up in Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Manipur, Tripura, Himachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Sikkim, Jammu and Kashmir, Goa or in a Union Territory, the area shall be two hundred hectares or more;

  • Zones exclusively set up for electronics hardware and software including information technology enabled services, the area shall be ten hectares or more with a minimum built up space of one lakh square metres;

  • In case of a Special Economic Zone proposed to be set up exclusively for bio-technology and non-conventional energy sectors, including solar energy equipments/cells the minimum area to be forty thousand square meters; and

  • Fifty thousand square metersin case of a Special Economic Zone proposed to be set up exclusively for the gems and jewellery sector.

PERFORMANCE OF SEZs IN INDIA

SEZs in Operation

During 2007-08, there were fifty seven zones in operation of which seven have been developed by the central government. These zones are listed in table-1. These zones are small in size; their area ranges between 93 to 625 acres. Government of India has invested about INR 500 crore on the infrastructure development of the seven SEZs.

The twelve zone in operation set up before 2006 have been developed by State/private sector initiative. The investments of the private developers for development of SEZs as on September 30, 2008 have been of the order of INR 5,626.24 crore these SEZs are”

  1. Surat special Economic Zone (Gujarat) developed by the Diamond and Gem Development Corporation over an area of 123 acres (499000 sq. m) with an initial investment of INR 32.46 crore in the year 1997. It commenced production from 2000-2001.

Table – 1 : India: SEZs Developed by Central Government

Zones

Location

Area (acres)

Status

Operational w.e.f.

KASEZ

Kandla, Gujarat

625

Multi-product

1966-67

SEEPZ – SEZ

Santa Cruz, Mumbai

93

Computers and Jewellery

1972-73

MSEZ

Chennai, Tamil Nadu

262

Multi-product

1985-86

FSEZ

Falta, Kolkata

280

Multi-product

1985-86

NSEZ

Noida, U.P.

310

Multi-product

1986-87

CSEZ

Cochin, Kerala

103

Multi-product

1986-87

VSEZ

Vishakahapatnam, AP.

360

Multi-product

1994-95

Source: Department of Commerce, GOI

  1. Manikanchan Special Economic Zone developed by West Bengal Industrial Development Corporation Ltd at Salt Lake, Kolkata (West Bengal) over an area of 5 acres exclusively for gem and jewellery exports. The zone has become operational during 2004-2005. Its export turnover during the first year has been INR 95.94 crore.

  2. Indore Special Economic Zone(Madhya Pradesh) developed by Madhya Pradesh State Industrial Development Corporation Ltd in 132 hectares which is operational from 2004-2005. Its export turnover during the first year has been INR 95.94 crore.

  3. Jaipur Special Special Economic Zone was set up by Rajasthan State Industrial Development Corporation Ltd in (Rajasthan) in 110 acres exclusively for gem and jewellery which operational form 2004-2005. Its export turnover was INR 5.27 crore in its first year of export.

  4. Jodhpur Special Economic Zone was set up by Rajasthan State Industrial Development Corporation Ltd (Rajasthan) in 180-94 acres for manufacture and export of handicraft commenced exports in 2005-06.

  5. WIPRO Special Economic Zone set up a zone at Salt Lake, Kolkata (West Bengal) for software export and ITES has started export in 2005-06. Its export reached INR 95.5 crore in 16 acres and the investment in infrastructure amounted to INR 125 crore.

  6. Mahindra Industrial Park Special Economic Zone (Tamil Nadu) set up export of IT, hardware commenced export during 2005-06. The size of the SEZ is 665.68 acres with an investment in infrastructure amounted to INR 100 crore.

  7. Mahindra Industrial Park Special Economic Zone in Chennai (Tamil Nadu) set up export of apparel and fashion accessories also started export during 2005-06.

  8. Mahindra Industrial Park Special Economic Zone set up export for automobile ancillary.

  9. Surat Apparel Park Special Economic Zone (Gujarat) commenced export in 2006-07. It is an SEZ exclusively for apparels and had export turnover of INR 1.6 crore in the first year itself.

PERFORMANCE OF FIRST SEZs

KAFTZ (set up in 1965), is the first EPZ in India. It commenced export during 1966-67 with a humble beginning of less than INR 0.1 crore. By 2007-08, 57 zones in the country have been in operation, seven developed by the Central Government and twelve developed by private and state government initiative and third eight notified as per SEZ Act, 2005. The export from these zones during 2007-08 was INR 66,638 crore with an impressive growth of 92% over the previous year export of INR 34,615 crore. And the export during 2008-09 is of the order of INR 125,950 crore. The year wise export performance of the zones developed by Central Government since inception till March 31, 2008.

It is evident that the growth of export from SEZs was moderate in the initial phases, but has been substantial during the past two decades. The data of India’s total export ad export from SEZs since 1986-87is presented at table-2.

Table – 2 : SEZs Share in India’s Export, 1986-87 to 2007-08 (INR-crore)

Year

Exports

India’s Total

SEZ’s

1986-87

12,452

361

1987-88

15,674

333

1988-89

20,232

514

1989-90

27,658

737

1990-91

32,553

988

1991-92

44,041

1,192

1992-93

53,688

1,379

1993-94

69,751

1,959

1994-95

82,674

2,737

1995-96

1,06,353

3,235

1996-97

1,18,817

3,149

1997-98

1,30,100

3,354

1998-99

1,39,752

5,248

1999-00

1,59,561

6,164

2000-01

2,03,571

8,584

2001-02

2,09,018

16,067

2002-03

2,55,137

10,066

2003-04

2,93,367

13,162

2004-05

3,75,340

18,309

2005-06

4,56,418

22,839

2006-07

5,71,779

34,786

2007-08*

6,24,185

67,088

*Provisional | Sources: DGCIS, GOI

Table-3 : State-wise Exports from SEZs, (2008-09 to 2010-11)

Name of the States

Export Value (Rs. crore)

Total Exports form SEZs

% total

2008-09

2009-10

2010-11

(2008-09 to

2010-11)

 

1

2

3

4

5

6

8

1.

Gujarat

23932.50

101747.21

146877.73

272557.44

42.84

2.

Karnataka

2549.58

21337.13

46717.99

70604.70

11.10

3.

Tamilnadu

23022.32

27914.13

43704.60

94641.05

14.87

4.

Maharashtra

12811.68

15414.01

19480.05

47705.74

7.50

5.

Kerala

11942.01

17122.86

18750.65

47815.52

7.51

6.

Andhra Pradesh

3121.80

5663.66

13359.17

22144.63

3.48

7.

Uttar Pradesh

4581.37

5931.69

10883.57

21396.63

3.36

8.

West Bengal

16655.00

22966.47

10703.17

50324.64

7.91

9.

Haryana

277.92

1018.78

2807.01

4103.71

0.64

10.

Madhya Pradesh

430.49

494.41

1242.65

2167.55

0.34

11.

Rajasthan

331.74

735.41

899.39

1966.54

0.32

12.

Chandigarh

26.57

289.97

318.00

634.54

0.10

13.

Orissa

6.02

75.65

123.87

205.54

0.03

All India Total

99689.00

220711.38

315867.85

636268.23

100.00

Source: Govt. of India, Ministry of Commerce.

 

Similarly table -3 reveals the state wise exports from SEZs (2008-09 to 2010-11). Unity 13 states stated above Gujarat top the first position of 42.84 percent of exports from SEZ, followed by this Tamil Nadu and Karnataka fare well is SEZs export performance. Along with other states Kerala, Maharashtra and West Bengal also shows a moderate performance.

Table – 4 : State-wise Employment Generation from SEZs (As on 30 Sept. 2011)

Name of the State

No. of Workers Employed

% to Total

1.

Maharashtra

194013

26.66

2.

Tamilnadu

191257

26.28

3.

Andhra Pradesh

105386

14.48

4.

Uttar Pradesh

50535

6.94

5.

Gujarat

46879

6.44

6.

Karnataka

30070

4.13

7.

West Bengal

30118

4.14

8.

Haryana

27854

3.83

9.

Kerala

20913

2.87

10.

Madhya Pradesh

12313

1.69

11.

Rajasthan

10314

1.42

12.

Chandigarh

5765

0.79

13.

Orissa

2143

0.29

14.

Punjab

251

0.03

15.

Goa

28

0.01

All India Total

727839

100.00

Source: Govt. of India, Ministry of Commerce.

 

Not only the special economic zones perform a pivotal role by producing and expert abundant quantity of goods but also ensure better employment opportunity to the needy people. Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu performs a better picture is generally jobs in the special economic zones (26.66 and 26.28 percent).

Andhra Pradesh also did a proper job is ensuring better employment opportunity is the zones though Gujarat stood first in the export position but placed fifth in the employment generation from the zones.

CONCLUSION:

Although the establishment of Special Economic Zones given a prominence in the post globalization period but these zones are at the grass root level. The government must ensure the establishment of more zones so that it creates more employment opportunities. Further, it happen is many cases both the government and entrepreneurs acquire the land and misuse for making real estate business. This should be firmly avoid and creates opportunity to the indigenous is industrialists to develop the industrialization.

REFERENCES:

  • K.S. Ramola (2011): SEZs: New Generation Growth Engine of Indian Economy, Southern Economist, Bangalore.

  • Gundegowda (2013): SEZ and its Impact on Indian Agriculture:- A case study, Southern Economics, Bangalore.

  • Geeta Das (2009): Special Economic Zones, Century Publications, New Delhi.

  • Moore, Thomas G (2000); The China and Globalization, Black well Publishing, Oxford.

  • Kundra, Ashok (2000); The Performance of India’s Export Zones – A Comparison with Chinese Approach, Sage Publications.

  • Kumar, Rajiv (1986): India’s Export Processing Zones: An Evaluation, Oxford University Press, India.

  • Rajendra Prasad (2013): Performance of Special Economic Zone in India, in Soundara Pandiyan’s (Eds.) SEZS in India.

 

 

Community Empowerment and Domestic Workers: In pursuit of Social Security in the Unorganized Sector in India

 

Dr.Seema Surendran

Professor and Principal BMS College of Law, Bangalore

 

Abstract

The concept of Informal sector began to receive worldwide attention in early 1970s when the International Labour organization (ILO) initiated serious efforts to identify and study the area through its World Employment Programme Missions in Africa. The Unorganized sector also termed as the Informal sector is the group of workers who cannot be defined by definition but could be described as those who have not been able to organize because of constraints arising out of various factors. We can identify the work force in agriculture, contract labour, causal labour; labour employed in small scale industry, handloom and power loom workers, bidi and cigar workers, employees in shops etc as unorganized workforce. Domestic servants and other workers who do not fall under any of the above category but earn their livelihood by manual work also form part of this unorganized workforce. Domestic Workers in India have always been categorized under the umbrella of unorganized labour and have been excluded from the welfare law. To add to the woes traditionally domestic work was not recognized as labour because the task they are hired to do were part of a women’s unpaid work at home. Domestic work is not often perceived as real work deserving labour rights, the workers face extremely poor working conditions, low pay, violence and sexual abuse. The ILO adopted Convention 189 and Recommendation 201 in June 2011, guaranteeing domestic workers labour protection equallent to those of other workers including work hours, minimum pay coverage etc. This paper tries to analyze the existing laws in India for the protection of domestic workers, the international commitments, the shortcomings in the implementation process, and the need for community empowerment to adequately address the cause of injustice.

 

It has always been a mystery to me how men can feel themselves

honoured by the humiliation of their fellow being.”

- Mahatma Gandhi

 

Millions of people around the world revert to domestic work as one of the few options available to them in order to provide for themselves and their families, instead of guaranteeing their ability to work with dignity; government has systematically denied them key labour protection extended to workers in other sectors. Domestic workers often make extraordinary sacrifice to support their families and are among the most exploited and abused workers in the world. People engaged in domestic work are, extremely poor, illiterate coming from rural or urban areas or migrated workers from other parts and often has to eke out their existence and therefore agrees to work at nominal wages. They are excluded from the very scope of legislation of many countries including India. The specificity of their employment relationships is not addressed, there is no written contract, and they are hired and fired at the will of the employer. Their working conditions remain unregulated and there is no system of social security on which they can fall back.

Domestic work and Domestic workers

The term “domestic work” means work performed in or for a household or households, the term “domestic worker” means any person engaged in domestic work within an employment relationship; a person who performs domestic work only occasionally or sporadically and not on an occupational basis is not a domestic worker.

Types of domestic workers, based on the hours of work and the nature of employment relationships are:

  • Part time worker: The workers who work for one or more employers for a specified number of hours per day or perform specific tasks for each of the multiple employers every day.

  • Full time workers: who works for a single employer every day for a specified number of hours and returns back to her/his home every day after work.

  • Live in worker: workers who work full time for a single employer and also stays on the premises for the employer or in a dwelling provided by the employer.

Unorganized Sector and the International Labour Organization

The unorganized sector has not been defined any where scientifically; However this term was used to speak of availability or non availability of certain benefits or rights to the working class outside the organized sector. Sometimes this sector is also termed as informal sector. The First National Commission on Labour (1966-69) has defined unorganized labour as those who have not been able to organize themselves in pursuit of common objective on account of constraints like casual nature of employment, ignorance and illiteracy, small and scattered size of establishments and the position of power exercised over them by employers because of the nature of the Industry. In rural areas, the unorganized sector mainly comprises landless agricultural labourers, small and marginal farmers, share croppers, those engaged in animal husbandry, poultry and fishing activities, rural artisans forest workers toddy tappers etc. Whereas in urban areas it comprises mainly of manual labourers engaged in construction, carpentry, trade, transport, communication etc, and also includes street vendors, hawkers, head load workers, garment makers etc.

Improving the conditions of domestic workers has been the concern of International Labour Organization (ILO) since its early days. As early as 1948, the ILO adopted a resolution concerning the conditions of employment of domestic workers. In 1965, it adopted a resolution calling for normative action in their area. While in 1970 the first survey ever published on the status of domestic workers across the world made its appearance. The Decent work Agenda provides a new and promising avenue for ensuring visibility and respect for domestic workers standard setting on decent work for domestic workers will take the ILO beyond the identification of non compliance and towards the provisions of specific constructive guidance on how to regulate effectively a category of worker that is singularly in need of support.

Empowerment of Domestic Workers through Social Security

Overcoming the impeding handicaps through empowerment is a special means chosen for social transformation in welfare democracy. Existence of a law or efforts bring in changes is not enough, community empowerment, are necessary because they are the only means to adequately address and remedy the underlying cause of injustice. Empowerment is a purpose oriented action of reinforcing the ability of the disadvantaged group to gain self generating power to be equal partners in the process of development, to remove vulnerability of the exploited and to prevent the perpetration of exploitation, violence and injustice.

Social security basically refers to protection from socially acknowledged detrimental conditions such as old age, poverty unemployment etc. It can be termed as basic security, ensuring access to the basic necessities such as food clothing shelter education and medical care. Social security was first officially recognized in 1919 by the International Labour Organization (ILO) which stressed on the need to protection of workers who were employed in countries other than their own. It was consequently accepted by the General Assembly of the United Nations while adopting Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) which states that every member of the society has a right to social security. The focus of the social security is to enhance and protect people’s capabilities to be adequately nourished, clothed, to avoid escapable morbidity and preventable death. The average experience of poorer populations is the unstable nature of their existence, since many of them undergo severe and often sudden dispossession and the threat of such a thing happening is common. The decline may result from changes in personal circumstances or from fluctuations in the social surroundings. Therefore we may understand the social security as “the provision of benefit to households and individuals through public or collective arrangements to protect against low or declining standard of living arising from a number of basic risks and needs. For clearer understanding we may enlist the social security measures or programmes for income substances income maintenance and for medical as:

  • Provident funds/Gratuity

  • Old age, survivor, widow and disability pension

  • Medical care

  • Protection from all kinds of risks life and non life affecting the social existence of individual.”

Social Security in India

The social security schemes in India cover only a small section of the organized work force, Workers who are having direct employer employee relationship with an organization. Social security in India was traditionally taken care of by the joint family and community in general. With the rapid industrialization and urbanization beginning during the early 20th century and resulting to an extent in the breakup of the family setup, the need for institutionalized and state cum society regulated social security arose. In India although social security is not a Fundamental Right, the laws incorporating it draw strength from the Directive Principles as contained in the Constitution of India (Articles 38-47). This provides for mandatory social security benefits either solely at the cost of the employers or on the basis of joint contribution of the employees and the employers, seeking to achieve social, economic and political justice for all sections of the society.

  • Article 41 states that the state shall within the limits of its economic capacity and development make effective provisions for securing the right to work to education and to public assistance in cases of unemployment, old age, sickness and disablement and in other cases of undeserved want

  • Article 42 requires the State to secure just and humane conditions of work and for maternity relief.

  • Article 47 requires the State to raise the level of nutrition and the standard of living of its people and improvement of public health.

The Concurrent List in the Seventh Schedule of the Constitution also lays down social security issues in two of its items:

  • Item 23: Social Security and insurance, employment and unemployment.

  • Item 24: Welfare of Labour including conditions of work, provident funds, employers’ liability, workmen’s compensation, invalidity and old age pension and maternity benefits.

The chief social security legislations enacted in India include:

  • The Employees State Insurance Act 1948,

  • The Minimum Wages Act 1948,

  • The Employees Provident Funds & Miscellaneous Provisions Act 1952,

  • The Workmen’s Compensation Act 1923,

  • The Maternity Benefit Act 1961,

  • The Payment of Gratuity Act 1972,

Protection for Domestic Workers

The 100th Annual Conference of ILO on Thursday 16 June adopted the historic set of international standards aimed at improving the work conditions of domestic workers. The Convention 189 and Recommendation 201 of 2011, moves the standard system of ILO into the informal economy. The Convention set out that the domestic workers around the world, must have the same basic labour rights as those available to other workers like:

  1. Minimum wage coverage (Article 11)

  2. Freedom of Association and Right to collective bargaining; limiting of working hours, Right to overtime pay, Weekly rest and paid annual leave (Article 10)

  3. Protection against all forms of abuse, harassment and violence (Article 5)

  4. Fair terms of employment and decent working conditions, optional live in requirement and right to keep possession of travel and identify documents (Article 9)

The Convention was adopted with 396 votes in favour and 16 against (63 abstentions); it is to enter into force one year after ratification by two countries. On 26 April 2012, Uruguay ratified the convention followed by Philippines on 6 August 2012 giving new hopes to domestic workers.

In India, in 1948 domestic workers were excluded from the purview of the National Minimum Wages Act. Later various versions of the Domestic workers (conditions of Service) Bill were drafted separately during the years 1959, 1972, 1977, 1989 & 2004. The bill prepared through these drafts was also known as the housemaids and the Domestic Servants Bill. The objective of the proposed bill was to ensure minimum wages, holidays and fixed hours of work for the domestic workers and to prevent the financial and sexual exploitation by their employers. In 2008, the Unorganized Workers Social Security Act was enacted by the Central Government. The first ever National Policy for domestic workers, entitles them to minimum wages, defined hours of work, paid annual leave, sick leave and maternity benefits. Once the policy is implemented domestic workers will be covered by eight existing social security laws in India. The Central Government amended the Central Civil Service Conduct Rules to prohibit any government official/civil servant from employing children below the age of 14 years as domestic workers. Indian law prohibits the employment of children below the age of 14 years age in certain occupations in accordance to the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act 1986. By 10 October 2006 the ban on child labour included employment of children in domestic work. Karnataka has passed the Minimum wages Act for Domestic Workers on 1 April 2004 followed by Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan. The Domestic Workers (Registration, Social Security and Welfare) Act 2008 provides for registration of domestic workers and states that a domestic worker between 18 to 60 years of age and engaged in domestic work for not less than ninety days can be registered as domestic worker. It also provides for minimum wages to all registered domestic workers as per Minimum Wages Act 1948. It also protects a live in worker by providing daily rest of at least 10 hours, and entitles them to annual leave with wages for at least 15 days. The Act is subject to state legislation and therefore the state governs its implementation. However the central notification date is still pending.

States such as Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Bihar, Rajasthan and Dadra & Nagar Haveli have recently taken a lead in fixation of minimum rates of wages for these workers. On the basis of the information available from State Governments, a statement showing the minimum rates of wages for Domestic Workers under the Minimum Wages Act, 1948 is as under:

Sl. No

State/Union Territory

Minimum Wage (in Rs.)

Per hour Per day Per month Effective date

 

1

Andhra Pradesh

12.50 100.00 2600.00 01.04.2009

 

2

Bihar

13.64 109.12 2837.12 01.10.2010

 

3

Karnataka

10.48 111.83 2907.70 01.04.2010

(for 45 minutes)

4

Kerala

 

-- 136.50 30.06.2010

 

5

Rajasthan

155.00 01.01.2011

 

 

6

Dadra & Nagar Haveli

136.60 01.07.2010

 

 

Source: Ministry of Labour and Employment.

 

Conclusion

What is required is a set of rules and laws that recognize domestic workers, regulate their working conditions and pay, as well as of the agents, who mediate the worker-employer relationship, could have a fundamental impact on the conditions of work. However the problem of legislating on domestic workers is intertwined with issues pertaining to the regulation of the informal sector in India. It conflict with the non-regulatory thrust of neo-liberal economic policies and the pressure against the regulation of informal workers exercised by the elite and the expanding numbers of “servant”-employing households. The complexity of work organization, wage rates, poor working conditions, poverty, illiteracy, caste, migrant status, lack of alternative work, and the exigencies of the life of domestic workers are similar to that of the vast numbers of informal workers. The success of social policy depends on the extent to which these workers’ rights are recognized rather than through piecemeal welfare measures. Discrimination and exploitative practices will not improve overnight. To make the new international standards count domestic workers groups, trade unions, the non governmental organizations and others must strengthen their efforts at national level.

Many states in India have tried to bring in social security measures to the unorganized sector including domestic workers, obviously implementation remains a problem, but this is aided by the attempts at unionization of such workers and related collective action, as have occurred in Kerala, Mumbai and elsewhere. Professionalizing the relations between employer and employee, can only be done through a combination of organization, legislation and institution-building. This makes it imperative for the Government of India to ratify the ILO Convention on Domestic Work. Ratification of the Convention is just a first step in a longer process, but it will prove to be an important step in ensuring the dignity of all domestic workers in India.

References

  1. National Commission for women,http://wcd.nic.in/ar0708/English/Chapter-10.pdf

  2. The ILO Convention 189 Concerning Decent Work for Domestic workers Article 1,full text: http://www.ilo.org/ilolex/english/convdisp1.htm

  3. Madhava Rao P, Social security for the unorganized in India-An Approach paper http://www.globalaging.org/health/world/socindia.pdf

  4. InternationalLabourConference, 99th session 2010, Report IV (1), Decent work for domestic workers, first edition 2010 www.ilo.org/

  5. Ishwara Bhat Law and social Transformation in India, Eastern Book Company, Lucknow ,2009 p.454

  6. Ibid P.454

  7. Aditi Dani, Social Security for the unorganized sector, September 29,2010 http://jurisonline.in/?p=1498

  8. Madhava Rao P, Social security for the unorganized in India-An Approach paper, http://www.globalaging.org/health/world/socindia.pdf

  9. The State shall regard the raising of the level of nutrition and the standard of living of its people and the improvement of public health as among its primary duties and, in particular, the State shall endeavour to bring about prohibition of the consumption except for medicinal purposes of intoxicating drinks and of drugs which are injurious to health (Article 47).

  10. Refer Aditi dani, Social Security for the unorganized sector, September 29,2010 http://jurisonline.in/?p=1498

Community Empowerment

  • Article10 states that 1. Each Member shall take measures towards ensuring equal treatment between domestic workers and workers generally in relation to normal hours of work, overtime compensation, periods of daily and weekly rest and paid annual leave in accordance with national laws, regulations or collective agreements, taking into account the special characteristics of domestic work.2. Weekly rest shall be at least 24 consecutive hours. 3. Periods during which domestic workers are not free to dispose of their time as they please and remain at the disposal of the household in order to respond to possible calls shall be regarded as hours of work to the extent determined by national laws, regulations or collective agreements, or any other means consistent with national practice.


     

    CHALLENGES AND STRATEGIES OF LEADERS OF BACKWARD CLASS MOVEMENT – MYSORE STATE


    Dr. N. C. Sujatha

    Chairperson and Assistant Professor, Department of Ancient History and Archaeology, Karnataka State Open University, Muktha Gangotri, Mysore


    ABSTRACT

    Turn of the nineteenth century princely Mysore witnessed a movement for the uplift of the people who were backward in all respect. Mysore being admired as a model state, but 96% of its people was backward. The government’s effort notwithstanding the communities had their own leaders. These leaders faced numerous challenges, both inherent of the society and of social stigma. Challenges of over-coming lack of awareness, lack of education, inertia among the people and lack of opportunities. The leaders followed strategies well suited for the task. Theirs was a herculean task of mobilizing, awakening, educating and bringing the masses to the level of equal opportunities. The paper intends to discuss these challenges faced and strategies followed by the leaders of these backward classes.


    Introduction:

    The social movements started in the wake of British rule in several parts of India during the 19th and twentieth century’s is an off shoot of the wide awakening among all sections of the society. The gross realities foretold by the service minded and conscious leaders in Bengal, Maharashtra cause an effective movement for the social uplift and empowering those who were so far forbidden from climbing the ladder of social mobility. This paper intends to study the problems the leadership faced, strategies, evolved and the outcome of those efforts in a nut-shell.

    Mysore State was no exception. Closing decades of the nineteenth century witnessed a sort of restlessness among the few who had come-up on their own due to the education. These leaders were so isolated, and helpless they couldn’t do anything for their people who were in dire condition of neglect and desperation. Efforts made by the princely class not withstanding their genuine concern deemed to be a failure, as the problems and challenges they faced were numerous. The Regent Maharani ‘Vanivialsa Sannidana’ and her brother Sir Kantharaja Urs lamented of their failure to provide social justice to majority of their citizens who were the tax payers.

    By the turn of the twentieth century there were few, among the majority of the backward classes, educated and in good social positions because of their elite connections and education. A handful of them had determination of working towards the uplift of the society. Thus arose, the leadership out of the backward classes.

    Leadership:

    By 1900 A.D. the leadership among these backward classes was not to be seen. They neither had a marked line to start a race for upward mobility, nor had the resources that needed to pull the majority of their people from utter deprivation they were experiencing. Slowly the leadership emerged among them and few dedicated among them were strong enough to turn those unfortunate masses.

    The Veerashaiva mathas were in the forefront of organizing their followers and imbibing the desire for progress. The mathas worked towards mobilizing the people of rural areas. This mathas like Siddaganaga Math, Suttur Math and others provided natural leadership for these backward classes. The mathas on the model of Christian missionaries tried to work-out something to make their followers progress.

    Muslim community was served by its mosques and could work towards mobilizing their followers towards their spiritual and social needs. But hardly there was any effort to shrug the poverty and ignorance of the masses of this community.

    Other communities like the Vokkaligas, the Kurubas, and Kanchutigas were scattered and had no semblance of mobilization and were scattered. The rise of leadership among them was through few who were determined to better the conditions of the people on the model of other communities. It is their social linkages, marriage alliances which were the strong factors which could lead them to mobilizes them.

    The depressed classes who were in the last wrung of the society were deeply depressed and could not provide any leadership on their own. They have to depend on the sympathy of the government and other communities.

    The leadership for these classes did not come just from within. There were sympathizers, philanthropists from few higher classes as well. The great turning point was the role of Queen-Mother and Regent Vanivilasasannidana and her brother Kantharaj Urs. Their deep thinking and compassion brought more in the form of shift in the governmental policies, as they openly expressed inclusive governance.

    Challenges:

    Rise of few dedicated leaders among these backward classes did not open vistas of opportunities for them. The problems and challenges were more disheartening to leaders. The multitude for whom they worked had no inclination, nor idea of their efforts.

    The lack of education, depressing conditions of their living showed them in poor rating of social indicators of education and employment. The foremost challenge these groups faced was the ignorance. The people were so ignorant they had no idea of educating their children to make them strong enough to face the numerous problems they faced. They lived in ignorance, led their children in the same path and left them to contemplate in the dark.

    Poverty-superstition and blind belief were the major hurdles in the working of backward class leaders. The majority of their caste-brethren were so poor, they could not think of changing the mode of their life. They were stricken from the treble curse of poverty-ignorance and blind belief. Their belief in the idea of Karma was so strong, many-a-times, even a strong willed leader could be disappointed at his failure to turn these people towards progress.

    Major hurdle in the work of motivation was the lack of opportunities to them. The people who had a chance of educating their wards left with little attraction of employment opportunities. Education and employment being the key indicators of social upward mobility; the state had a dismal progress in this sector. The employment was associated with education and merit. The few who could come-out of the shackles of ignorance had little to feel confident of gaining employment.

    Strategies:

    The backward class leaders starting the work of uplift of their brethren though had great challenges, showed their steadfast leadership by following strategies that helped them in greater way to over-come those challenges and to ensue good results.

    The leaders of all these groups and castes had tough challenge of mobilizing their caste brethren and secondly of awakening them-which seemed to be a task quite impossible. Surprisingly most of these castes organized themselves into caste-associations. By 1905 Lingayat Education Society was established. 1906; the Vokkaligara Sangha took its birth, followed by Central Mohammadan Association, 1907, Kurubara Sangha, 1908 and Kanchutigas organized themselves into an association by 1910. By the end of the first decade of the twentieth century, more than 40% of the state’s population was organized. Thus the hurdle of scattered population and lack of coordination solved.

    Mobilissation of those people on caste basis was a great achievement and greater attraction, which brought much needed organizational platform for these leaders to bring change they desired. The wider platforms they had of mutual understanding and cooperation among themselves raised their voice to be heard by the rulers.

    The government was co-operative and eagerly provided facilities of free-primary education, enhanced scholarships, opened more schools in rural areas. The responsibility of these backward class leaders was to bring the children to schools. It was a hard task. The parents due to ignorance and utter deprivation were unable to send their wards to schools. Many of those children were bread-earners. Poverty kept most of them within their homes.

    The volunteers from these associations struggled hard to convince the parents to admit their children to schools. They pleaded with philanthropists among themselves to donate to start boarding homes at District and taluk levels to enable those boys and girls to continue their education. Lingayat education, Society, Veerashaivia Maths, Vokkaligara Sangha Central Mohammadan Association and Kurubara Sangha established hostels, orphanages in all Districts and in Bangalore and Mysore.

    Fortunately for the backward class movement in Mysore was supported by a strong propaganda machinery; both in support and against to it. These leaders proved good propagandists. They utilized the press properly and in this respect their achievement is great. Veerashaiva’s were supported by the “Mysore Star” of Yajaman Veerabhadraiah, Vokkaligara Sangha went ahead and established its own newspaper Vakkaligara Patrike. Mohammadan Association had its own supporters in Urdu Papers. Missionaries showed their solidarity with backward class leaders. Harvest Field and Vrittanta Patrike played a pivotal role in awareness campaign of these leaders. The Daily Post, Madras time, Justice supported their cause.

    The critiques; notwithstanding the desperate situation of the majority of the state’s population ridiculed the attempts made by these leaders. The criticism of the government’s policy of opening schools to all irrespective of caste or creed, and other governmental measures to provide reservations in government posts divided the society on communal basis.

    The Non-brahmin movement as this movement came to be called divided State’s population. But the larger groups tend to rise up the ladder of social and political fields playing a greater role in strengthening State’s credit to be progressive state.

    Passing of Miller Committees proposals as legislation in 1921 is the major yardstick for the success of the movement. It provided reservation for the people in employment.

    Conclusion:

    The success of the movement was its empowering a larger section of the people, making them more responsible and to have a larger share in its all-round development.

    Notes and References:

    1. The leaders were: B. Basavaiah, Yajaman Veerbhadraiah, Banumaiah, B. K.H. Ramaiah, Abbaskhan, Puttaiah Gulam Ahmad Kalami, Manikavelu Mudalaiar, Banumaiah and others

    2. Muhammad Abbas Khan Thirty years History of the Central Mohammadan Association of Mysore 1907-1938. K.S.A Bangalore.

    3. Kuppuswamy B. ‘Backward Class Movement in Karnataka’ p-50.

    4. Karnataka Backward Classes Commission Report 1975. Vol-1, Part-III. P-1

    5. Kuppuswamy B. Backward Class Movement in Karnataka p-51

    6. Vokkaligara Patrike, dtd 9-11-1910., 30-07-1919, p-5

    7. The Mysore Star (micro film) dtd 12-07-1916. K.S.A Bangalore.

    8. The Daily Post (eveninger) dtd 09-11-1910, 13-4-1914

    9. Sampadabyudaya dtd 08-05-1920.

    10. The Mysore Gazette dtd 10th March 1921.


     

    Women Empowerment : Challenges and Solutions


    G.C. Varadarajegowda

    Asst. Proff. of Economics, Govt. First Grade College, Bharathi Nagara, Maddur Tq


    Abstract

    This paper examines the challenges that women entrepreneurs in India. Gender equity and women Empowerment are closely related with economic development. Our efforts should be directed towards the all around developments of each every section of women, not confining the benefit to a particular section of women in society, by giving them their due share. It is a must to protect their chastity, modesty and dignity and ensure their dignified position in society without removing social stigma, enduring progress and development could not be achieved for these, the governmental and non-governmental organization including media should come forward and play an active role in creating awareness in society. The task is not too difficult to achieve. The honesty and sincerity on the part of those involved is a must if the lots of women change, definitely it will have a positive impact on Economy hence the women’s empowerment is the need of the hour.


    Introduction

    Women entrepreneur is a person who accepts challenging role to meet her personal needs and become economically independent. Women contribute significantly to the running of family business in the form of unpaid effort and skills. The value of this effort is under estimated both by the families that take it for granted and in academic studies. Women sector occupies nearly 48% of Indian population.

    Women Empowerment is basically the creation of an environment where women can make independent decisions on their personal development as well as shine as equals in society. Women want to be treated as equals so much so that if a woman rises to the top of her field it should be a commonplace occurrence that draws nothing more than a raised eyebrow at the gender. This can only happen if there is a channelized route for the empowerment of women.

    Challenges

    There are several challenges that are currently plaguing the issues of women’s rights in India. A few of these challenges are presented below,

    Women in India constitute around half of the country’s population. Hence, they are regarded as the “better half of the society”. In the official proclamation, they are at par with men. But, in real life, the truth prevails otherwise. Our society is still male-dominated and women are not treated as equal partners both inside and outside four walls of the house.

    In fact, they are treated as weak and dependent on men. As such, the Indian women enjoy a disadvantageous status in the society. Let us give some fact about it. The low literacy rate (40%), low work participation rate (28%) and low urban population share (10%) of women as compared to 60%, 52% and 18% respectively of their male counterparts well confirm their disadvantageous position in the Indian society.

    Our age-old socio-cultural traditions and taboos arresting the women within four walls of their houses also make their conditions more disadvantageous. These factors together serve as non-conducive conditions for the emergence and development of women entrepreneurship in the country.

    Given these unfavourable conditions, the development of women entrepreneurship is expectedly low in the country. This is well indicated by a dismally low level of women (5.2%) in total self-employed persons in the country. Further, women entrepreneurs in India accounted for 9.01% of the total 1.70 million entrepreneurs in the country.

    There is a big gap between men and women literacy rates. According 2011 census while 82.14% of adult men are educated, only 65.46% of adult women are known to literate in India. In addition to that normal of culture that state that the men of the family is the be-all and end –all of family decisions is slowly spoiling the society of the country.

    Income and wealth are not distributed equally among men and women in India. About a third of the county’s population lines on less than 1.25 USD per day. Among them women are earning very less Income.

    The health and safety concerns of women are paramount for the wellbeing of a country, and is an important factor in gauging the empowerment of women in a country. However there are alarming concerns where maternal healthcare is concerned.

    Empowerment of women

    We should empower women in economic, socio and other diminations. They are as follows

    Poverty Eradication:

    • Since women comprise the majority of the population below the poverty line and are very often in situations of extreme poverty, give the harsh realities of intra-household and social discrimination, macro economic policies and poverty eradication programmes will specifically address the needs and problems of such women. There will be implementation of programmes which are already women oriented with special targets for women. Steps will be taken for mobilization of poor women and convergence of services, by offering them a range of economic and social options, along with necessary support measures to enhance their capabilities.

    Micro Finance:

    • In order to enhance women’s access to credit for consumption and production, the establishment of new, and strengthening of existing micro-credit mechanisms and micro-finance institution will be undertaken so that the outreach of credit is enhanced.

    Involving in policy framing:

    • Women’s perspectives will be included in designing and implementing macro-economic and social policies by institutionalizing their participation in such process. Their contribution to socio-economic development as producers and workers will be recognized in the formal and informal sectors (including home based workers) and appropriate policies relating to employment and to her working conditions will be drawn up.

    Agricultural sector:

    • In view of the critical role of women in the agriculture and allied sectors, as producers, concentrated efforts will be made to ensure that benefits of training, extension and various programmes will reach them in proportion to their numbers. The programmes for training women in soil conservation, social forestry, dairy development and other occupations allied to agriculture like horticulture, livestock including small animal husbandry, poultry, fisheries etc. will be expanded to benefit women workers in the agriculture sector.

    Industrial Sector:

    • The important role played by women in electronics, information technology and food processing and agro industry and textiles has been crucial to the development of these sectors. They would be given comprehensive support in terms of labor legislation, social security and other support services to participate in various industrial sectors.

    Equality in Education:

    • Equal access to education for women and girls will be ensured. Special measures will be taken to eliminate discrimination, universalize education, eradicate illiteracy, create a gender-sensitive educational system, increase enrolment and retention rates of girls and improve the quality of education to facilitate life-long learning as well as development of occupation/vocation/technical skills by women. Reducing the gender gap in secondary and higher education would be a focus area.

    Improvement in Health Sector:

    • A holistic approach to women’s health which includes both nutrition and health services will be adopted and special attention will be given to the needs of women and the girl at all stages of the life cycle. The reduction of infant mortality and maternal mortality, which are sensitive indicators of human development, is a priority concern. The policy reiterates the national demographic goals for Infant Mortality rate (IMR), Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR) set out in the National Population Policy 2000.

    Nutrition:

    • Intra-household discrimination in nutritional matters vis-à-vis girls and women will be sought to be ended through appropriate strategies. Widespread use of nutrition education would be made to address the issues of intra-household imbalances in nutrition and the special needs of pregnant and lactating women.

    Rehabilitation to Victims:

    • All forms of violence against women, physical and mental should be stopped. Institutions and mechanisms/schemes for assistance will be created and strengthened for prevention of such violence, including sexual harassment at work place and customs like dowry; for the rehabilitation of the victims of violence and for taking effective action against the perpetrators of such violence.

    Rights of the Girl Child:

    • All forms of discrimination against the girl child and violation of her rights shall be eliminated by undertaking strong measures both preventive and punitive within and outside the family. These would relate specifically to strict enforcement of laws against prenatal sex selection and the practices of female foeticide, female infanticide, child marriage, child abuse and child prostitution etc. Removal of discrimination in the treatment of the girl child within the family and outside and projection of a positive image of the girl child will be actively fostered.

    Use of Media:

    • Media will be used to portray images consistent with human dignity of girls and women. The policy will specifically strive to remove demeaning, degrading and negative conventional stereotypical images of women and violence against women. Private sector partners and media networks will be involved at all levels to ensure equal access for women particularly in the area of information and communication technologies.

    Institutional Mechanisms:

    • National and State Resource centres on women will be established with mandates for collection and dissemination of information, undertaking research work, conducting surveys, implementing training and awareness generation programmes, etc. These Centers will link up with Women’s Studies Centers and other research and academic institutions through suitable information networking systems.

    Women’s Component Plan:

    • The strategy of women’s Component Plan adopted in the Ninth Plan of ensuring that not less than 30% of benefits/funds flow to women from all Ministries and Departments will be implemented effectively so that needs and interests of women and girls are addressed by all concerned sectors.

    Legislation:

    • Strict enforcement of all relevant legal provisions and speedy redressal of grievances will be ensured, with a special focus on violence and gender related atrocities. Measures to prevent and punish sexual harassment at the place of work, protection for women workers in the organized/ unorganized sector and strict enforcement of relevant laws such as Equal Remuneration Act and Minimum wages act will be undertaken. Crimes against women, their incidence, prevention investigation detection and prosecution will be regularly reviewed at all Crime Review for a and conferences at the Central, State and District levels. Women’s Cells in Police Stations, Encourage women Police stations Family Courts, Mahila Courts, Counselling Centres, Legal Aid Centers and Nyaya Panchayats will be streangthened and expanded to eliminate violence and atrocities against women. Widespread dissemination of information on all aspects of legal rights, human rights and other entitlements of women, through specially designed legal literacy programmes and rights information programmes will be done.

    Reservation for Women:

    • Reservation for women at each level of legislative decision making, starting with the Lok Sabha, down to state and local legislatures. If the bill is passed, one-third of the total available seats would be reserved for women in national, state, or local governments. In continuation of the existing provisions already mandating reservations for scheduled caste and scheduled tribes, one-third of such SC and ST candidates must be women.

    Conclusion

    Gender equality and women’s empowerment are human rights that lie at the heart of development and achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. Dispite the progress that has been made, six out of ten of poorest people are still women and girls, less percent of the India. Parliamentarians are women, two thirds of all children shut outside the school gates are girls and Women are still systematically subjected to violence in closed doors at home. Women empowerment connotes “Economic Empowerment” which implies a better quality of material life through sustainable livelihood owned and managed by women, “Social Empowerment” which means a more equitable social status for women in society, “Legal Empowernment” That suggests the provision of an effective legal structure which is supportive of women’s empowerment and “Political Empowerment” means a political system favouring the participation in, and control by women of the political decision making process and governance.

    References

    1. Sethuraman.K.R. lans down and K.Sulivan(2006) women’s Empowerment and domestic violence, Food and Nutrition bulletein 27(2): 128-143.

    2. Kushwana, Women welfare, Some New Dimensions. New Delhi-2003

    3. Devasia, Leelamma, empowering women for sustainable Development, New Delhi-1994.

    4. 2011 census Report.

    5. National Policy for the Empowerment of women(2001) India.

    6. Heise.L.L.(1998) ‘Violence Against Women’ A neglected public health issue in less developed countries, Social Science Medicine 39:1165-79



     

    GROWTH AND PERFORMANCE OF SELF HELP GROUPS IN INDIA


    Dr.B.S. Chandrashekar

    Asst. Professor of Co-operation, University of Mysore, Maharaja’s College, Mysore-560005.

     

    Abstract

    The concept of Self Help Group has its roots in rural areas and it has been mooted along the rural and semi urban women to improve their living conditions. Though it is applicable to men in our country, but it has been more successful only among women and they can start economic activities through SHG movement. In India, this scheme is implemented with the help of NABARD as a main nodal agency in rural development. It is self employment generation scheme for especially rural women, who don’t have their own assets. The 'empowerment' of social, political and economic goals or status. Empowerment provides a greater access to knowledge and resources, more autonomy in decision making, greater ability to plan lives, more control over the circumstances which influence lives, and freedom from customs, beliefs and practices. Thus, empowerment of women not just a goal in itself, but key to all global development goals. Empowerment is an active multidimensional process to enable women to realize their identity and power in all spheres of life. This paper examines the women empowerment through SHGs and also explains the current position of women empowerment in India.


    Introduction:

    The movement of Self-help groups (SHGs) as the most effective tools for financial inclusion was started some thirty years ago with NGOs promoting self help groups. This has evolved into a national movement with the proactive role of the governments gaining recognition from all the major stakeholders. The concept of SHG services the principle, ‘by the women, of the women and for the women’. Self-help groups are voluntary associations of people with common interests formed to achieve collective social and economic goals. Such groups are organized for mutual help and benefit. It is formed democratically without any political affiliations. They may comprise of 15–20 women and/or men, although they generally consist exclusively of women members. In India, more than 90 per cent groups are formed by women. is done at micro or group level. The initial operations of SHGs start with collecting savings from members. These groups inculcate the habit of thrift among the members. By collecting small saving huge amount can be raised. These groups advance loans to the needy members. The total funds owned by the group are thus circulated in the form of loan among the members.

    The identification, formation, and nurturing of groups is carried out by NGOs, other development agencies or banks with the promoters inculcating habit of thrift among members. Once the groups are trained and strengthened, they are linked to nearby banks, usually within six months of formation. Banks provide collateral-free credit in increasing proportion to the group’s accumulated savings. All the initiatives such as selection of borrowers for availing credit, identification of activity, unit cost volume of loan, management of finance and procedures for repayment are undertaken by the poor at the group level. Briefly, SHGs can be stated ‘as a plan by the people, of the people for the people. It reflects the real people’s participation in the process of development at micro level.

    Objectives of the study:

    The objectives of this paper are to access the growth and progress of the SHGs in India.

    The objectives of this study are:

    1. To study the Origen of SHGs.

    2. To study the women empowerment throw of SHG .

    3. To analyses the genesis and growth of SHGs in India.

    4. To study the progress of women SHGs (microfinance progress)

    5. To study the savings growth by SHGs in India.




    Methodology:

    The present study is based on the secondary data. The necessary data has been collected from various reference book, published journals, Status of micro Finance 2012-13, NABARD. Report on trends and performance of banking and RBI reports. The required data for the study purpose were collected from the number of reference books, Journals and Internet. The study covers from 2008 to 2013. This paper aims at examining the role of SHGs in India. It is mainly based on relevant literature available on the subject.

    Origen of SHGs

    People’s participation in self-help organizations is not new, but a strategy spread across many countries and executed in various location-specific ways. In the areas of urban development and housing, self-help takes the form of neighborhood groups, tenant groups and slum development committees, while in rural development, SHGs focus more on the establishment of credit groups, development committees and specific user groups. In East Africa (for example, Kenya), for example, the tradition of local self-help development efforts is characterized by local initiatives to control and collectively work to use local resources focused on rural development (Thomas 1985). In Southeast Asia (for example, Vietnam), the Tontine or Hui (also Hawala or Fei Chein) tradition of SHGs focuses on financial activities through cash or kind (Abiad 1995), while self-help efforts in Indonesia, are also organized around credit unions and village-based banks, with some SHGs composed of fishermen and irrigation groups (Gaonkar 2004). Generalised as Rotating Savings and Credit Associations (ROSCA), the SHG function of locally provided, organized material support – or, informal banking – has been seen as a “middle rung in development”, historically contextualized by peasant social structure (Geertz 1962). In recent times, however, it has been given a new lease of life with the concept of microcredit, the extension of small loans to support the entrepreneurial ambitions of the poor, those least able to gain access to capital. The specific SHG form of microcredit groups has been set up in different countries in the South now. The origin of SHG is from the brain child of Gramin Bank of Bangladesh, which was found by the economist, Prof. Mohammed Yunus of Chittagong University in the Year 1975, to provide micro-finance to rural women. In Bangladesh, micro-finance has been established as a most powerful instrument to tackle poverty. Bangladesh are the most well-known example of this phenomenon, and various microcredit groups have also been formed in other countries in the region, such as in Thailand, Nepal and Sri Lanka, as well as in India where SHG’s have been helping to set up micro-enterprises for income generation. It has also facilitated social targeting within the general class of the poor, most notably of the rural poor and of women and women’s groups. Against this, however, microcredit has also been criticized, among other reasons for tending to operate only around the border of poverty (especially helping people with pre-existing businesses) rather than in its deeper reaches, and for typically offering a one dimensional support (financial credit) without other services (Islam 2007). Thus, for example, a study of the gender aspect of micro financing in the South Indian context (Holvoet 2005) leads to an argument for the need for financial and social group intermediation as part of the microcredit input so as to support women’s involvement in decision making processes.

    Women Empowerment through SHG

    Self employment is a significant step to have sustained incomes and remove the shackles of poverty. Programme for self-employment of the poor has been an important component of the antipoverty programmes implemented through government initiatives in the rural areas of India. Government have introduced an effective Self-Employment programme ‘Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar’, or SGSY This new programme has been launched from April 1999. This is a holistic programme covering all aspects of self employment such as organization of the poor in to self help groups, training, credit, technology, infrastructure and marketing. SGSY will be Funded by the centre and the states in the ration of 75 : 25. With the coming in to force of SGSY, the earlier programmes IRDP, TRYSEM, DWCRA, SITRA, GKY and MWS are no Longer in operation. Self-help groups (SHGs) is as an instrument to change the conditions of women socially and economically. Once socio-economic experiment is achieved it would have implication on the overall development of women. SHGs enable economic, social, political and psychological empowerment of women.

    1. Economic Empowerment: The economic contribution of women has been found to be related to her role and status in the society. The Self-help groups provide economic benefits to the women by providing income generating activities. Economic independence facilitates in bringing about sexual equality and increase in women’s income translates more directly into family well being.

    2. Social Empowerment: Self-help Groups improve the equality of status of women as participants, decision-makers and beneficiaries in the social, democratic, economic and cultural spheres of life. SHGs ensure the equality of status of women as participants, decision-makers and beneficiaries in the democratic, economic, social and cultural spheres of life.

    3. Political Empowerment: SHGs as active, articulate and organized citizenry act on a range of issues, holding the Panchayats accountable in terms of the use, production and distribution of public resources for the common public good. SHGs enable women to develop their communication skills to speak at the Gram Sabah, public meetings, etc. An SHG functions through its regular meetings, where members perform transactional activities and discuss over different related issues. Social mobilization through SHGs is inevitable for political empowerment.

    4. Psychological Empowerment: Self-help groups enhance the equality of women as participants, decision makers and beneficiaries in the democratic, economic, social and cultural spheres of life. The SHGs inculcate a great confidence in the minds of rural women to success in their day-to-day life.

    Genesis and growth of SHGs in India:

    Over the decades of planned development, the shift of emphasis of women’s programmes from purely welfare oriented approach to a more pragmatic and development oriented one has recognized woman as a productive worker and contributor to the economy. The formal financial institutions have failed to perform their role of supplying institutional credit to the women folk in our country for undertaking the income generating activities. As a result, a large segment of poverty stricken people and particularly the women who constitute a significant number still remain outside need for the emergence of a new institution to tackle the situation.

    The SHGs in India were formed by Mysore Resettlement and Development Agency (MYRADA), a NGO in 1985 due to breakdown of the large cooperatives organized by MYRADA. By 1986–87, there were nearly 300 SHGs in MYRADA’s projects. MYRADA then approached NABARD for an action research project on self-help groups which funded the research. Within the same timeline, Asian and Pacific Regional Agricultural Credit Association (APRACA) weighed options and agreed on further action for effectively increasing credit access for the poor. In India, NABARD and a member of APRACA, carried out an elaborate study which gave useful insights into the dynamics of group organization, saving potential and repayment ethics of the poor. Encouraged by the results of the study and action research project of MYRADA, NABARD, in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Commercial Banks and NGOs, launched a pilot project in 1991–92 for linking of SHGs with banks. late 1990s when the central government of India introduce a holistic program, Swarnjayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana (SGSY) based on the group approach for rural development Thus, the micro finance activity is the result of NABARD’S work that started in February 1992 through an initial pilot project promoting 500 SHGs. RBI had advised Commercial Banks in July 1991 to extend finance to SHGs as per NABARD guidelines. Subsequently, the linkage project was extended to RRBs and Cooperatives. The Self-Help Group movement became a silent revolution within a short span in the rural credit delivery system in many parts of the world. It has been documented that nearly 53 developing countries including India, have taken up this on a large scale. The Government of India is supporting the SHG movement. The main object of National Policy for Empowerment of Women (NPEW), 2001 is economic empowerment of women. The policy aims at enhancing supply of credit to the women through SHGs.

     

    Table 1. Growth SHGs in India ( 2006-07 to 2011-12)

    Year

    No of SHGs

    Growth rate (in percentage)

    2006-07

    2924973

    7.54

    2007-08

    5009794

    12.29

    2008-09

    6121147

    15.79

    2009-10

    6959250

    17.95

    2010-11

    7547269

    19.47

    2011-12

    7960135

    20.53

    Source: Status of micro Finance 2012-13, NABARD

    Table-1. Shown that the number of SHGs is increased 2924973 to7960135 in the period 2006-07 to 2011-12. In 2006-07, 2924973 SHGs were linked with the banks. In 2007-2008 the number of SHGs has been increased by 5009794. Growth of percent was 7.54 to 12.29 in the year 2006-07 to 2007-08. In the year 2008-09 growth of percent was 15.79, in 2009-10 growth of percent was 17.95. In 2010 -11 growths of percent was 19.45 and the year 2011-12 growth percent was 20.53.The variation is grater in growth.

    Table 2. Progress of women’s SHGs and microfinance

    SHGs

     

    Number (in millions)

    Amount(Rs in billions)

    items

    2009-10

    2010-11

    2011-12

    2012-13

    2009-10

    2010-11

    2011-12

    2012-13

    Loan disbursed by bank

    1.6

    1.2

    1.2

    1.2

    145

    145

    165

    206

    (0.3)

    (0.2)

    (0.2)

    (0.2)

    (22)

    (25)

    (26)

    (22)

    Loan out standing

    4.9

    4.8

    4.4

    4.5

    280

    312

    363

    394

    (1.3)

    (1.3)

    (1.2)

    (1.2)

    (63)

    (78)

    (81)

    (86)

    Savings with banks

    70

    75

    80

    73

    62

    70

    66

    82

    (1.7)

    (2.0)

    (2.1)

    (2.1)

    (13)

    (18)

    (14)

    (18)

    Microfinance institutions

     

    Numbers

    Amount (Rs in billions

    Loans disbursed by bank

    691

    469

    465

    426

    81

    76

    53

    78

    Loans outstanding with bank

    1513

    2176

    1960

    2042

    101

    107

    115

    144

    Source: Report on Trend and Progress of Banking 2012-13.

    In the table 2, Shows that the current progress of women SHGs and microfinance in India. The details of total number of women SHGs and amount of loan disbursed by bank, loan outstanding, savings with bank numbers with amount and microfinance loan disbursed by bank, loan outstanding with bank, SHGs loan disbursed by bank, out standing with bank for the last four years are given in the table. It may be seen that the total number of saving linked and credit linked SHGs, Loan disbursed by bank No banks 1.6 million, amount of Rs145 billion as on 2009-10. In the year 2012-13 No of bank 1.2 million amounts of Rs is 206 billion. Loans disbursed No of SHGs is decreased and loans disbursed amount is increased. In the year 2009-10 loan outstanding amount is 280billion to 394 billion. the saving with the bank in year 2009-10 no of SHGs 70 million to 73 million in year 2012-13at the same years amount of SHGs 62billion to 82 billion this is increased. The micro finance institutions no of banks loans disbursed691million to 426million amount of loan disbursed 81 to 78 billion in the study period. Loan outstanding with bank 1513 to 2042 and amount of Rs 101 billion to 144 billion in year 2009-10to 2012-13.

     

    Table 3. Saving growth by SHGs 2008-12(Amount Rs in billions)

     

    2007-08

    2008-09

    2009-10

    2010-11

    2011-12

    Commercial Bank

    20.8

    22.7

    36.8

    41.5

    41.5

    Regional Rural Bank

    11.7

    19.9

    12.7

    14.2

    11.0

    Cooperative Bank

    5.4

    7.8

    41.1

    13.6

    13.0

    Total

    37.9

    55.4

    63.6

    69.3

    65.5

    Source: Status of micro Finance 2009-10, NABARD

    Table 3. shows that SHGs savings in commercial banks, Regional Rural banks and Cooperative banks As at the end of March 2007-08 to 2011-12, The groups were savings-linked with the banking system, SHGs savings in commercial banks 20.8 billion to 41.5 billion in respectively 2007-08 to 2011-12. Regional Rural banks savings was 11.07 billion to 11.0l billion in the year 2007-08 to 2011-12. The cooperative banks savings is 5.4 billion to 13.0 billion in the study period. Total savings in SHGs was increased from 37.9 billion to 65.5 billion in the study peried2007-08to 2011-12. This table indicate that the savings was increased in commercial bank and cooperative banks that was highest than RRBs.

    CONCLUSION:

    Today, in India the role of Self Help Groups in the rural development has attracted attention from all over the realm of social sciences. SHGs is increasing empowerment of women, by making them financially strong, as well as it helped them to save some amount of money and invest it in further development. SHGs have been identified as a way to alleviate poverty and women empowerment. Women empowerment aims at realizing their identities, power and potentiality in all spheres of lives. But the real empowerment is possible only when a woman has increased access to economic resources, more confidence and self motivation, more strength, more recognition and more involvement through participation. Although it is a gradual and consistent process, but women should build their mindset for taking additional effort willingly for their overall development. SHGs have the potential to have an impact on women empowerment. To reduce poverty by enabling the poor household to access gainful self employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, resulting in appreciable improvement in their livelihood on a sustainable basis, through building strong grass-root institutions of the poor.

    REFERENCE:

    • Arjun Y., Pangannavar (2010) "Women SHG Programmes and Rural Poverty: A Micro Study"

    • Chandra P. Parida and Anushree Sinha (2010) "Performance and Sustainability of Self Help

    • Groups in India: A Gender Perspective" Asian Development Review, Vol.-27(1), pp80-103.

    • Jayaraman R. (2005). "Performance Analysis of Fisherwomen SHGs in Tamilnadu" final report

    • Lalitha N & Nagaraja B.S. (2002) “Self Help Groups in Rural Development “Dominant

    • NABARD Report 2008-2009 to 2012-13 status of micro finance in India

    • Arjun. O.&Y Pangannavar (2010) "Women SHG Programmes and Rural Poverty: A Micro Study" Publishers and Distributers, New Delhi

    • NABARD, pp1-63pportunities for Rural Poor" European Journal of Social Science, Vol.-19(3), pp371-379.

    • Surrender, Kumari S. And Sehrawat R.K. (2011) "Can- SHGs Generate Employment”

    • Report on Trend and progress of banking in India 2013.

    • Status of microfinance in India 2008 to 2013.



    MEDICAL EDUCATIONAND COMMUNITY EMPOVERMENT IN PRINCELY MYSORE


    SOMASHEKAR T.N

    Lecturer in History, Sir M.V.PG. Centre, Mandya, Karnataka.


    Abstract

    Medical Education is considered as one of the higher education after completed intermediate education. Medical service was very needed to Mysoreians. But in the 19th Century Mysore was too backward in the field of Medical service. At the time people were suffering from many communicable diseases, which are Calhara, Influenza, Malaria, Polio, Tuberculosis, Hepatitis etc., but Government wouldn’t given good treatment to them; although providing good health service to citizens is one of the objectives and features of Welfare State. In this way many Medical Schools and Colleges were opened in Mysore, which are The Ayurvedic College, Unani Pharmacy, LUMS, LAMS and other integrated courses were opened, In 1917 the Mysore Medical School was started at Bangalore finally in 1924 Medical College was started at Bangalore. Then 1930 the Medical College was shifted to Mysore and the university Medical School remained in Bangalore. As the statistical report initially strengthen of medical education too limited then Government was provide many facilities to medical students to continued their study, such as scholarship, hostel, concession of tuition fee, etc., then each and every academic year the number of candidates were gradually increased. That’s why at present death rate is too reducing and birth rate is increasing. This way many Medicines were discovered to Epidemic Diseases such as Plague, small pox, cholera etc., in 1906 the Compulsory Vaccination Act was implemented by Government, such returns many hospitals were opened for patients.


    Introduction

    Providing good health service was one of the objectives of welfare state. Though the Indian Medication system practiced in India, the introduction of modern medical system was necessary to meet this need creative administration introduced the medical education in the state. Medical education is related to the practice of being a medical practitioner; either the initial training to become a physician (i.e., medical school and internship), additional training thereafter (e.g., residency and fellowship), or training to become a Physician Assistant. Medical education and training varies considerably across the world.

    History of Medical College in Mysore

    The year 1871, witnessed the emergence of medical education in the state. A native subordinate medical department of Mysore decided to train the grade of hospital assistants for local service in the state for the training of medical pupils to qualify them for the grade of hospital assistants on stipends and government decided to select women and sent them to Madras for training as midwives with a granted scholarship of Rs.10/ each.1

    Medical Instruction in Ayurveda was being imparted in the Maharaja’s Sanskrit College, Mysore. Since 1880, Vaidy Shastra formed one of the subjects of the Mysore Vidwat Examination. But the instruction was only theoretical and the students had to undergo training in the Indigenous Hospital, Mysore. Suggestion was made that the Indigenous Hospital and converted into an Ayurvedic College.

    After the year 1881, a definite scheme was laid down for a local medical service duly qualified Indians and sufficient to have in the State during the year 1884, a Medical School was established in Mysore for the purpose of training hospital assistants but was closed in 1886.2 Scholarships were given to students to go through a course in the Madras and Bombay medical colleges.3 Students were also sent to Rayapura Medical School. In view of certain difficulties expressed by the students were seeking admission therein, Mysore Government sanctioned a scheme for training locally sub- assistant surgeons required for service in the state.

    The Government established the Ayurvedic College at Mysore in 1908 and the then existing Vaidya class in the Sanskrit College was abolished. The subjects taught were physiology, anatomy, hygiene, midwifery and material medica which extended over a period of four years. Instruction in Sanskrit works on medicine was impacted by a Head Pandit and an Assistant Pandit. An Assistant Surgeon from the Mysore city gave instruction in physiology, anatomy and other subjects of Western medicine till 1917. Those who were interested in further course in Western medicine after being successful in the Ayurvedic College could go to the Medical School at Bangalore. New building was opened in 1930. The opening of a Unani Pharmacy section and sales department was approved in 1932. Different course such as LAMS (Licentiate in Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery). LUMS (Licentiate in Unani Medicine and Surgery) and other integrated courses were offered till 1962.

    The State government demonstrated its keen interest in the field of Medical education under the control of the Senior Surgeon, on 1st July 1917,4 the Mysore Medical School started at Bangalore with a small batch of 16 pupils. The medical officer of the Victoria Hospital acting as Principal, with 4 lecturers, the senior surgeon exercising general supervision and control primarily for the training of sub assistant surgeons required for the state medical department. The training imparted was of 4 years duration which was licentiate in medical practice (L.M.P).5 In the year 1919, a scheme for training candidates in the art of compounding was formed in the Government Medical School at Bangalore, But in the year 1922 all district head-quarter hospitals and Robertson hospital started giving compounders training.

    The University Medical College was first opened at Bangalore in July. 1924 and was the first Medical College to be established in a Princely State.6 In the year 1924-25, the Medical School was rose into the grade of a college as Medical College with M.B.B.S. course for six years on 1st July 1924, and the college was affiliated to the University of Mysore. In 1930 the Medical College was shifted to Mysore and the university Medical School remained in Bangalore.

    The Medical College has been growing ever since and as yet one cannot visualize the dimensions it will ultimately reach. There is a large programme of expansion on hand. Every attempt is made to keep up the highest medical standards and no effort is spared in the training and equipment of the future doctors.

    Most of the professors are graduates of the College and have had training abroad. There are about 150 students in the College. The course is one of five and half years, six months of that time being spent on the study of the pre-medical subjects of Chemistry, Physics, Zoology and Botany.

    Most of the graduates spend a year as house surgeons in the hospitals in the State, thus starting with a good practical training in medicine, surgery and the specialties.7

    In the year 1912, A School of Hygiene was opened for training sanitary inspectors for the diploma course; the course of training was of 6 months duration. The training was conducted by the Director, Public Health Institute and his assistant, the Health Officer, Bangalore and the Sanitary Engineer and his assistant in Madras there were 20 candidates in the course. In the Year 1917 the Maternity Hospital for Women and Children, Bangalore and the Vani Vilas Hospital Mysore, become teaching hospitals for training of midwives in scientific manner.

    For more than 30 years, the State Government was sending five students to the Madras Medical College, and two students to the Carmichael Medical College, Calcutta, paying a subsidy per student per annum. As there was a growing demand for the provision of facilities for medical education at the University level and as it was found difficult for Mysore students, other than Government scholars, to secure admission to any of the Medical colleges in India, the senate of the University resolved at its meeting held in May 1923,8 that the Medical faculty may be instituted in the University of Mysore and that a medical College be started at Bangalore.9 The details of the scheme were worked out by a Special Committee appointed for this purpose and the Government gave sanction for the institution of the Faculty of Medicine in the Mysore University and for the establishment of a Medical College at Bangalore in Combination with the local Medical School with effect from the academic year 1924-1925.10 In 1930, the Government sanctioned the transfer of the Medical college to Mysore with effect from June 1930 and provided Rs. 2,85,000 for a new building, equipment and furniture. On the successful completion of this course, candidates were awarded the degree of M.B.B.S. Detailed courses of studies in Physics, Chemistry and Zoology for the Pre-Medical course were prescribed in 1933-34, and the Pre-Medical Examination was held for the first time in 1934-35. The graduates had to spend a year as House Surgeons in the practical training in Medicine, Surgery and other specialties.

    In 1940 as the accommodation was found inadequate for the requirements, a new wing was constructed to accommodate the Pharmacology Department, the Examination Hall and Students’ Reading Rooms and the old building was extended to provide for a separate Anatomy Lecture Theatre, Anatomy Models Room and other sections. In 1941 a separate building was constructed to house the Pathology Museum and the Clinical Laboratories.11

    With effect from June 1945, the number of admissions was increased from 30 to 45 and in 1947 to 50 including five licentiates with was service and two licentiates without War service for the M.B.B.S. course and the total intake was further increased to 100.

    One hundred students have passed out of the College since its foundation. Many have been taken into the State Medical and Health Departments and as instructors in the Medical College. Others have obtained appointments outside the State in the Railways or in connection with Rural Health or District Board schemes, and a few have set p private practice in this State and elsewhere and are making a success of their ventures.12

    Medical Institutions for Clinical Teaching13

    The chief Institutions for College students for the M.B.B.S. Degree are:-

    • Krishnarajendra Hospital, Mysore.

    • Muragharajendra Pathological Institute.

    • Cheluvamba Hospital for Women

    • Princess Krishnarajammanni Sanatorium for Tuberculosis cases.

    • Mental Hospital, Bangalore

    • Epidemic Diseases Hospital, Mysore.

    • Chief Institutions for Medical students of the Medical School are14:

    • Victoria Hospital Bangalore

    • Vani Vilas Hospital for Women and the Children’s Hospital., etc.

    These hospitals were function as practical classes for M.B.B.S Degree Students and Medical School Students.

    NUMBER OF MEDICAL COLLEGES AND SCHOLARS15

    Year

    Number of

    Colleges

    Scholars*

    Men

    Women

    Total

    1924-25

    1

    N.A.

    N.A.

    19

    1928-29

    1

    N.A.

    N.A.

    75

    1932-33

    1

    N.A.

    N.A.

    91

    1936-37

    1

    123

    15

    138

    1940-41

    1

    109

    18

    127

    1944-45

    1

    124

    27

    151

    1948-49

    1

    216

    50

    266

    * Medical school is not included.


    The above table shows that In 1924-25 the number of Medical College was only one but number of Medical students was 19, during 1928-29 the number of candidates were studying 75 , In 1932-33 the number of candidates were increased to 91, In 1936-37 the total candidates was increased to 138, male was 123 female was 15 only. In 1940-41 it was reduced to 127, male 109, female 18, In 1944-45 it was again increased to 151, male 124, female 27, In 1948-49 it was increased to 266, male 266, female 50.

    Thus Medical education also received great encouragement at the hands of the Mysore State. Mysore Administration was tried sincere attempt to providing good health service to Mysorieans, because it is one of the objectives and features of welfare State. In this way many Medical Schools and Colleges were opened in Mysore. As above statistical report indicate that each and every academic year the number candidates were gradually increased but in 1940-41academic year numbers of candidates were reduced compared to previous year. There were many reasons which are less result of intermediate class, less interest to join medical education, compare to male there female candidates was too less because this medical course duration is too long to complete.

    Reference

    1. Medical Department file no.5 of 1890, Karnataka State Archives, Bangalore. p.4.

    2. Medical Department file no.76 of 1903, Karnataka State Archives, Bangalore. p.1-4.

    3. C.Hayavadan Rao “Mysore Gazetteer” Vol-II & IV, p.633.

    4. Review of the Progress of Education in the Mysore State. 1932-1944., p.117.

    5. Medical Department file no.137 of 1915, Karnataka State Archives, Bangalore., p.1-3.

    6. Report on Administration of Mysore 1924-25., p.77.

    7. Review of the Progress of Education in the Mysore State. 1932-1944., p.116.

    8. D.V. Gundappa “All About Mysore” Karnataka Publishing Hourse, Bangalore. p.66.

    9. C. Hayavadan Rao “Mysore Gazetteer” Vol-II & IV, p.633.

    10. Suryanath U Kamath “Karnataka State Gazetteer” Govt. Press, B’lore.,p.664.

    11. Silver Jubilee Souvenir 1941 University of Mysore, Bangalore Press, Bangalore. p.74

    12. C. Hayavadan Rao “ Mysore Gazetteer” Vol-II & IV, pn.633.

    13. A.C.DeveGowda and Parameshwaran “History of Education” Dept of Education and Youth Service, 1985., p.364.

    14. A.C.DeveGowda and Parameshwaran “History of Education” Dept of Education and Youth Service, 1985., p.364.

    15. Ibid.,p.365.

    16. Silver Jubilee Souvenir 1941 University of Mysore, Bangalore Press, Bangalore. p.75.

    17. Ibid., p.68.

    18. Ibid., p.68.

    19.  A. C.DeveGowda and Parameshwaran “History of Education” Dept of Education and Youth Service, 1985., p.366.

     

    Role of Financial Inclusion and Micro Finance on Women Empowerment - A Case Study of Mandya District, Karnataka


    Dr. Sangappa Shirur

    Dept of Economics, University of Mysore, Post Graduate Satellite centre, Chamarajanagara


    Abstract

    Financial services actively contribute the humane and economic development of the society. These lead to social safety net and protect the people form economic shocks. Hence, each and every individual should be provided with affordable institutional financial services popularly called “Financial Inclusion”. Financial inclusion both as a topic and as a movement has attracted global attention in recent years. Financial products and services are identified as banking services like deposits accounts, institutional loans, access to payment, remittance facilities and also life and non life insurance services. Financial inclusion is contemplated as a crucial means to achieve inclusive growth in the economy during the 11th Five Year plan. It is a powerful instrument for reducing poverty and income disparities among the people in the country. Financial inclusion is necessary to enable the weaker sections of the society to participate the in the formal financial system as they are otherwise disadvantaged sections and low- income groups. Financial Inclusion is important not only from the perspective of the benefit it provides to the poor but also from the perspective of overall Stability of the social and economic system of the country. An attempt is made in this paper to study the impact of financial inclusion and micro finance on income generation and livelihood of members of SHGs in Mandya District.

    Keywords: Financial Inclusion, Community Empowerment, Weaker Sections and Micro Finance


    Introduction

    Financial inclusion is the delivery of banking facilities to all people in a fair, transparent and equitable manner at an affordable cost. The Indian micro finance industry is a boon to a greater extent in achieving financial inclusion by offering small quantum of finance structured with low rate of interest with easy repayment options, to the individual or any origination. It also enables the poor people to be thrifty. Further, these micro finances are also offered for the development of people in the semi-urban and urban areas in improving their income and living standards. Micro-finance programs have been implemented by many banks at government behest. It is in this context that micro credits has emerged as the most suitable and practical alternative to the conventional banking in reaching the unreached poor population. The essence of financial inclusion is in trying to ensure that a range of appropriate financial services is available to every individual and enabling them to understand and access those services. Apart from the regular form of financial intermediation, it may include a basic no frills banking account for making and receiving payments, a savings product suited to the pattern of cash flows of a poor household, money transfer facilities, small loans and overdrafts for productive, personal and other purposes, etc. “However, inclusive finance does not require that everyone who is eligible uses each of these services, but they should be able to choose to use them, if they so desired. To this end, strategies for building inclusive financial sectors have to be creative, flexible, appropriate to the national situation and if necessary, nationally owned.” For promoting financial inclusion, we have to address the issue of exclusion — of people who desire the use of financial services, but are denied access to the same. In countries with a large rural population like India, financial exclusion has a geographic dimension as well. Inaccessibility, distances and lack of proper infrastructure hinder financial inclusion. Vast majorities of population living in rural areas of the country have serious issues in accessing formal financial services.

    Another facet of exclusion which needs to be addressed is “Social Exclusion” which is an extreme consequence of what happens when people do not get a fair deal throughout their lives, often because of disadvantages they face at birth, and this can be transmitted from one generation to the next. Social exclusion is about more than income poverty. It is a short-hand term for what can happen when people or areas have a combination of problems such as unemployment, discrimination, poor skills, low incomes and poor housing. These problems are linked and mutually reinforcing.

    Development practitioners, government officials and foreign donors consider that Non-Governmental organizations by the virtue of being small- scale, flexible, innovative and participatory, are more successful in reaching the poor and in poverty alleviating. This consideration has resulted in the rapid growth of NGOs involved in initiating and implementing rural development programmes.

    Objectives of the Study

    The present study is mainly based on the following objectives;

    1. To study the importance of Financial Inclusion in livelihood security of women.

    2. To analyse the impact of Micro Finance on improvement of standard of living of the community.

    3. To offer suggestions for the further effective functioning of the micro finance for the community empowerment.

    Methodology of the Study

    The study is based on primary data. The primary data has been collected from the 100 respondents in Mandya District. A structural questionnaire has been used as an instrument to collect the data.

    Results and Discussion

    The study was conducted in Mandya district to analyse the impact of financial inclusion and micro finance on livelihood security of women. Here the details of the respondents are presented.

    Table – 1 Sex wise distribution of the Respondents

    Sl. No.

    Sex

    Number of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Male

    60

    60%

    2.

    Female

    40

    40%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The above table-1 shows that sex wise distribution of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents majority of the respondents belongs to male that is 60% and 40% of the respondents belongs to female.

    Table – 2 Age details of the Respondents

    Sl. No.

    Age

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    20 – 30

    19

    19%

    2.

    30 – 40

    47

    47%

    3.

    40 – 50

    22

    22%

    4.

    50 – 60

    12

    12%

     

    Total

    100

    100

    Source: Filed Survey

    The above table-2 depicts the details of age group of the respondents out of 100 respondents majority belongs to age group of 30 – 40 years i.e., 47 percent and 22% of the respondents belongs to 40 – 50 age groups and 19% of the respondents belongs to 20 – 30 age groups and only 12% of the respondents belongs to 50 – 60 age groups. Community details are very much required in order to evaluate the status, living conditions and how they are competitive with others in order to move from low standard of living to high.

    Table – 3 Category details of the Respondents

    Sl. No.

    Category

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    GM

    15

    15%

    2.

    OBC

    33

    33%

    3.

    SC

    35

    35%

    4.

    ST

    17

    17%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey


    The above table-3 examines the category of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents majority belongs to SC category that is 35% and 33% of the respondents belongs to OBC category and 17% of the respondents belongs to ST and only 15% of the respondents belongs to GM category.

    Education level of the Respondents

    Education is the most important instrument of human resource development and social mobility. The education makes the individual to acquire develop skill and ability to communicate with others in any forum. Higher education level of citizen is an important prerequisite for greater role political process.

    Table – 4 Education level of the Respondents

    Sl. No.

    Education Level

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Primary School

    60

    60%

    2.

    Higher Secondary

    26

    26%

    3.

    Degree

    14

    14%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The table-4 clearly indicate the education level of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents majority of the respondents belongs to primary school that is 60% and 26% of the respondents studied upto PUC and only 14% of the respondents studied up to degree.

    Table – 5 Marital Status of the Respondents

    Sl. No.

    Marital Status

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Married

    83

    83%

    2.

    Unmarried

    17

    17%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Filed Survey

    The table-5 depicts the details of the marital status of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents 83% of respondents married and only 13% of respondents are unmarried.

    Table – 6 Family type Dimension of the Respondents

    Sl. No.

    Family Type

    No. of respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Nuclear

    26

    26%

    2.

    Joint

    74

    74%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The above table-6 indicates the Family Type of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents majority respondents are Joint Family that is 74% and only 26% of the respondents are Nuclear Family.

    Table –7 Activity wise distributions of the respondents

    Sl. No.

    Activity

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Agriculture

    47

    47%

    2.

    Allied Activities

    23

    23%

    3.

    Business

    10

    10%

    4.

    Services

    20

    20%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Filed Survey

    The table-7 shows that activity wise distribution of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents majority of the respondents depend on agriculture activity that is 47% and 23% of the respondents obtained loan for allied activities and only 10% of the respondents obtained loan for business activity.


    Table – 8 Pre-loan income levels of the Respondents

    Sl. No.

    Income Level

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Less than 2000

    16

    16%

    2.

    2001 – 5000

    30

    30%

    3.

    5001 – 8000

    32

    32%

    4.

    Above 10000

    22

    22%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The above table-8 shows that pre-loan income level of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents majority of the respondents belongs to income group of Rs.5001-8000 that is 32% and 30% of the respondents belongs income group of Rs.2001-5000 and 22% of the respondents belongs to income group of above Rs.10000.

    Table – 9 Post loan period income levels of the Respondents

    Sl. No.

    Income Level

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    5000 – 10000

    16

    16%

    2.

    10001 – 15000

    32

    32%

    3.

    15001 – 20000

    35

    35%

    4.

    Above 20000

    17

    17%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The above table-9 shows that post loan period income level of the sample respondents. Out of 100 respondents majority respondents belongs to income group of Rs.15001-20000 that is 35% and 32% of the respondents income level was between Rs.10001-15000 and 16% of the respondents income level was between Rs.5000-10000 and only 17% of the respondents earned above Rs.20000. This is clearly indicates that after post loan period almost all respondents get benefited.

    Table – 10 Do you have a bank account?

    Sl. No.

    Particulars

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Yes

    100

    100%

    2.

    No

    0

    0

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    If can observed the table particulars out of 100 respondents 100% of the respondent opined that have a bank account. This is clearly indicated that all respondents involve in banking services.

    Table – 11 Bank wise account details of the respondents

    Sl. No.

    Bank wise account

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Commercial Banks

    43

    43%

    2.

    RRB’s

    34

    34%

    3.

    Co-operative Banks

    23

    23%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The above table-11 shows that bank wise deposit account details of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents majority of the respondents opened the deposit account in commercial banks that is 43% and 34% of the respondents opened the deposit account in RRB’s and only 23% of the respondents opened the deposit account in co-operative banks.


     

    Table – 12 Reasons for opening the Bank Account

    Sl. No.

    Reasons

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    For Savings

    15

    15%

    2.

    To get the loan

    74

    74%

    3.

    To receive the money from the Govt.

    11

    11%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The above table-12 shows that reasons for opening the bank account of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents majority of the respondents it means 74% of the respondents opening the bank account for to get the loan and 15% of the respondents opening the bank account for savings and only 11% of the respondents are opening the bank account to receive the money from the Govt.

    Table – 13 Who helped you to open the bank account?

    Sl. No.

    Particulars

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Village Panchayath Members

    52

    52%

    2.

    NGO’s

    20

    20%

    3.

    Family Members

    28

    28%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    It can observed table particulars out of 100 respondents 52% of the respondents are helped from village panchayath member and 28% of the respondents helped from Family members and only 20% of the respondents helped from NGO’s.

    Table – 14 Are you getting loan from any bank?

    Sl. No.

    Particulars

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Yes

    100

    100%

    2.

    No

    0

    0

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    If can observed the table particulars out of 100 respondents 100% of the respondent are getting loan from different banks.

    Table – 15 Borrowed amount details of the respondents

    Sl. No.

    Borrowed amount

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    10000 – 15000

    23

    23%

    2.

    15001 – 20000

    52

    52%

    3.

    2001 – 25000

    15

    15%

    4.

    Above 25000

    10

    10%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    This table-15 shows that borrowed amount details of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents 52% of the respondents borrowed amount was between Rs.15001 – 20000 and 23% of the respondents borrowed amount was between Rs.10000 – 15000 and only 10% of the respondents borrowed above Rs.25000.

    Table – 16 Reasons for getting loan from bank

    Sl. No.

    Reasons

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    To start business

    64

    64%

    2.

    To purchase land

    15

    15%

    3.

    To start other activity

    21

    21%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey


    The above table-16 shows that reasons for getting loan from banks of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents 64% of the respondents opined that to start business and 21% of the respondents opined that to start other activity and only 15% of the respondents opined that to purchase land.

    Table – 17 Did you repay the borrowed amount?

    Sl. No.

    Particulars

    Number of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Yes

    57

    57%

    2.

    No

    43

    43%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    If can observed the table particulars out of 100 respondents 57% of the respondents are repay the borrowed amount and 43% of the respondents are not repay the borrowed amount.

    Table – 18 Do you save money?

    Sl. No.

    Particulars

    Number of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Yes

    100

    100%

    2.

    No

    0

    0

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The above table-18 shows that savings habit of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents 100% of the respondents save money for different purpose.

    Table – 19 For which purpose do you save money?

    Sl. No.

    Purpose

    Number of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    For uncertain days

    32

    32%

    2.

    For education of children

    28

    28%

    3.

    For old age life

    21

    21%

    4.

    To repay the loan

    19

    19%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The table -19 shows that Saving Purpose details of the respondents. Out of 100 respondents majority of the respondents that is 32% of the respondents save money for uncertain days and 28% of the respondents save money for education of children 21% of the respondents save money for old age life and 19% of the respondents save money to repay the loan.

    Table – 20 Are you aware of the following banking service?

    Sl. No.

    Particulars

    Number of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    ATM

    49

    49%

    2.

    Mobile Banking

    20

    20%

    3.

    DD, Overdraft

    12

    12%

    4.

    I don’t any services

    19

    19%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The above table-20 shows that awareness of some banking services of the sample respondents. Out of 100 respondents 49% of the respondents aware of the ATM services and 20% of the respondents aware of the mobile banking services and 12% of the respondents aware of the DD, overdraft services.

    Table – 21 How is your life style after participation in Financial Inclusion?

    Sl. No.

    Particulars

    Number of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Good

    100

    100%

    2.

    Bad

    -

    -

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The table-21 depicts the details about respondents of their life style after participation in financial inclusion out of 100 respondents 100% of the respondents are enjoining good life after participation in financial inclusion.

    Table – 22 Do you have any Physical assets?

    Sl. No.

    Particulars

    Number of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Yes

    100

    100%

    2.

    No

    -

    -

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    If can observed the table particulars out of 100 respondents 100% of the respondents have a different physical assets.

    Table – 23 Did you get support from your family this activity?

    Sl. No.

    Particulars

    Number of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Yes

    100

    100%

    2.

    No

    -

    -

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The above table -23 shows that details of the encouragement by the family members of the respondents activity out of 100 respondents 100% of the respondents were get cooperation from their family.

    Table – 24 Involvement in Decision making

    Sl. No.

    Type of decisions

    No. of the Respondents

    Percentage

    1.

    Financial Matters

    61

    61%

    2.

    Children Education

    22

    22%

    3.

    Buy the land & other assets

    17

    17%

     

    Total

    100

    100%

    Source: Field Survey

    The above table-24 shows that involvement in decision making of the respondents out of 100 respondents 61% of the respondents involved in taking decision in financial matters and 22% of the respondent decision making in children education matter and 17% of the respondents decision making in buy the land and other assets.

    Major Findings of the Study

    Based on the analysis and discussion the following findings have been drawn:

    1. Out of 100 respondents majority of the respondents belongs to male that is 60% and 40% of the respondents belongs to female.

    2. Out of 100 respondents majority belongs to age group of 30 – 40 years i.e., 47 percent and 22% of the respondents belongs to 40 – 50 age groups and 19% of the respondents belongs to 20 – 30 age groups and only 12% of the respondents belongs to 50 – 60 age groups.

    3. Out of 100 respondents majority belongs to SC category that is 35% and 33% of the respondents belongs to OBC category and 17% of the respondents belongs to ST and only 15% of the respondents belongs to GM category.

    4. Out of 100 respondents majority of the respondents depend on agriculture activity that is 47% and 23% of the respondents obtained loan for allied activities and only 10% of the respondents obtained loan for business activity.

    5. Out of 100 respondents majority of the respondents belongs to income group of Rs.5001-8000 that is 32% and 30% of the respondents belongs income group of Rs.2001-5000 and 22% of the respondents belongs to income group of above Rs.10000.

    6. Out of 100 respondents majority respondents belongs to income group of Rs.15001-20000 that is 35% and 32% of the respondents income level was between Rs.10001-15000 and 16% of the respondents income level was between Rs.5000-10000 and only 17% of the respondents earned above Rs.20000. This is clearly indicates that after post loan period almost all respondents get benefited.

    7. It is very interesting to note that, out of 100 respondents under study 100% of the respondents opined that they have a bank account. This is clearly indicates that all respondents involve in banking services.

    8. Out of 100 respondents majority of the respondents opened the deposit account in commercial banks that is 43% and 34% of the respondents opened the deposit account in RRB’s and only 23% of the respondents opened the deposit account in co-operative banks.

    9. Out of 100 respondents 61% of the respondents involved in taking decision in financial matters and 22% of the respondent decision making in children education matter and 17% of the respondents decision making in buy the land and other assets.

    Suggestions

    On the basis of the study, the following suggestions are recorded to make micro finance programmes to be more effective and purposeful in empowerment of weaker sections of the society:

    • For the sake of consistency and administrative expediency and also in order to foster a genuine micro credit movement in the country, there must be uniformity for all micro finance schemes of different departments such that the subsidy element does not attract and wean away individuals from other genuine savings and thrift groups.

    • There must be a provision for the compulsory capacity building and training of the individual or group being targeted before the loan is sanctioned rather than after the sanction of loan. Targeted capacity building as well as the formation of SHGs should be taken up in the weaker states on a priority basis and funded separately through either NGOs or MFIs by giving them outright grant for this purpose. Training and capacity building should not be a part of the loan portfolio but should be seen as separate.

    • Subsidy for micro-finance or enterprise should be done away with. Scarce resources devoted to subsidies should be spent instead on (a) enhancing expenditure on the infrastructure and support services envisaged under SGSY, much of which will be of benefit also to the general micro-finance programme and (b) on organizing and training and providing handholding support to the groups at each of the four stages both directly by the DRDAs and by NGOs and individual facilitators.

    References

    • Banerjee G.D, Karmakar K.G, Mohapatra N.P (2011): Towards financial inclusion in India, Sage publications India pvt. Ltd

    • Kochhar Sameer, Chandrasekhar. R, Chakrabarty K.C, Phatak Deepak B (2009): Financial inclusion, Academic foundation, New Delhi

    • Kochhar Sameer (2009): Speeding financial inclusion, Academic foundation, New Delhi Articles

    • Agrawal Amol (2008): Economic research: the need for financial inclusion with an Indian perspective, IDBI Grill Ltd. Mumbai

    • Bell C (2001): post-independence India: a case of finance-led industrialization”, Journal of development economics

    • Dr.Chakrabarty K.C (2006): Financial Inclusion: concepts, issues, and roadmap, Institute for development and research in banking technology, Hyderabad.

    • Chakrabarti, R. (2006): The Indian microfinance experience-accomplishments and challenges, Indian development foundation, Gurgaon



    UNTOUCHABLES COMMUNITY RULED IN INDIA


    Dr. SUDARSHANA.S

    Post Doctoral Fellow, Dos in History, University of Mysore, Manasagangotri, Mysore-06.


    An attempt is made in this paper to trace when we look into the history of India it can be found that this country was ruled by Untouchables Community once upon a time. I would like to register some of the historical facts here.

    There were 16 Mahajanapadas and Ganarajyas or republics in India during the time of Gautama Buddha. The Mahajanapadas were-Anga (Eastern Bihar), Magadha (southern Bihar), Kashi (Benares),- Kosala (Anadh and Kashi), Vrijji (Northern Bihar), Malla (Gorakhpur, Kushinagar and Basti district), Chedi (region between Yamuna and Narmada rivers), Vatsa or Kosambi (Allahabad region), Kuru (Delhi, Meerut and Thaneswar regions), Panchala (Bareily, Badaun, and Farookabad regions), Ashmaka (Godavari banks), Avanti (western part of Madhya Pradesh Malava), Gandhara (Peshawar, Rawalpindi-some areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan) and Kambhoja (Southwestern Kashmir).

    Ganarajya means a republic ruled by democratically elected people’s representative committees. Vrijji, Malla, Kapilavastu of Shakyas, Pippalivana of Moriyas, Lichhavi etc…

    Kosala was the most important among the Mahajanapadas and Ayodhya was its capital. Sakela and Shravasti became capitals in the later years. Mahakosala was the king of this kingdom. His son was Prasenajit. His daughter Kosaladevi was married to Bimbasara of Haryanka lineage (545-491 B.C) who was the king of Magadha. Kashi was gifted to him during the marriage. Later Bimbasara’s son Ajathashatru (491-466 B.C) acquired the throne killing his father, and Kosaladevi dies of grief. Augured by his sister’s death Prasenajit takes back Kashi and declares was on Ajatashatru and is defeated in the war. After his defeat Prasenajit gets his daughter ‘vajara’ to Ajatashatru and gifts Kashi to him again. Ajatashatru and Prasenajit were contemporaries of Buddha. It has to be noted that Mahakosala, the king of Ayodhya (Kosala), and his son Prasenajit belonged Matanga i.e. Madiga community.

    When we look into the history of Tamilnadu it can be found that Pallar, Paraiyar, Chakliyan, Arundhatiyar and Valluvar were among its untouchable castes. Regarding its communal basis the Pallar community proclaims itself to be “Devendra Kula vellalar”, and calls itself to be the descendants of Pallavas Sangam period means the times of Chere, Chola and Pandyas. The Pallar community traces its ancestry on this basis. This community started agriculture in Tamilnadu for the first time. The Pallars called Devendra Kula Vellalar, that means the Mallar community, were the first to cultivate paddy. Pallars ruled Tamilnadu once upon a time. Cheras were the descendents of the Nagas.

    In Karnataka the Holeyas first started agriculture during the transition period from Mesolithic to Neolithic age. History tells that the word ‘Holeya’ was derived because they were the owners of ‘hola’ agricultural land.

    With reference to Karnataka Kadamba kingdom was established in 325 C E by Mayuravarma. What popular history tells is that Mayura went in disguise to Kanchipura seeking education and was insulted there by the Pallavas. As revenge he raised an army, defeated the Pallavas and established a kingdom. According to the Talagunda inscription “the Kadambas were Brahmins, and were Harite putras belonging to Manavya gotra”.

    According to the history of Tulunadu Holeyas and fishermen were powerful in the malnad region. The Brahmins of Tulunadu created Mayuravarma of the Kadambas to uproot them. “Nand” was the king of the Holeyas. He was very powerful and defeated Mayura. The King of Koragas, Hubhasika had also defeated Mayura. During this time a few Brahmin families were brought from Ahicchatra of Uttar Pradesh and were settled in 32 villages. But Nanda defeated Moyura and the Brahmins. Nandas son Chandrsayana was inspired by his mother and started respecting Brahmins. He decreased the respect for the people of his own community and pushed them to inferior levels. His mother was a temple-dancer.

    Another source says that “Chandrasayana was not the son of Nand, king of the Holeyas, but was a descendent of Mayuravarma and defeated the Holeyas that becomes clear from these two points is that Brahmins uprooted Holeyas through Mayura and Chandrasayan.

    What was the reason for Pallavas to insult Mayura when he went to Kanchi disguised as a Brahmin? Was it because he was not a Brahmin or was it because he was the one who uprooted Holeyas in Malnad region? Historian D. Kosambi clims that the Kadmbas were Aranyakas. N. Subramanian, a historian from Tamilnadu claims that the Kadambas were tribals and not Brahmins. What he says is, “It is necessary to remember that in this context that in early medieval India, there was a general attempt on the part of founders of dynasties or one or the other of their powerful successors to assume brahminical origins. This was best done by the resumption of brahminincal gotras. In fact originally the gotras were all brahminical. This meant an attempt to project a superior ancestry as they thought it to be. In fact reigning monarchs even when they were Kshatriyas merely adopted the gotra of their purohits who naturally were Brahmins. The Sungas who were perhaps Iranians assumed Brahminical origins and Satavahanas followed suit. In the case of Kadambas who can be properly identified with the piratical clan with peacock and Kadambu totems mentioned in ancient Tamil literature, were really not even Kshatriyas but later so persistently called themselves brahminical that many gullible historians believed in those claims. In the case of the Kadambas, it is significant that sarma and varma are alternatively used in the case if Mayura Varman, the founder of the dynasty. The pallavas too, no doubt, assumed to Bharadvaja gotra from their purohitas. The statement in Talaginda inscription that the Pallavas were no Brahmins, was perhaps strictly true and a contemporary must have known. They overlook the entire mass of evidence which connects the Pallavas with the Tondaiyar and the Tiraiyar”.

    Kadambas were pirates and were today tappers by profession. They were defeated by Chera king Senguttuvan of the Sangam era. Kadamba means ‘palm tree’. Those who tap toddy from palm trees are Eedigas. On this ground I had put forth my argument in ‘prajavani’ (vachakara vani, 14-06-2005) that Kadambas were Eedigas. But Dr. M. Chidanandamurthy had rejected this argument.

    During the same period in 350 C.E, a community which migrated from the Gangetic plains of Ahichatra of Uttar Pradesh started ruling under the name Gangas According to history they were Gangawadikars or Gangadikar Vokkaligas, as they came from the Gangetic. Kolar was their first capital and later it was shifted to Talakadu on the banks of river Kaveri. Even today in the areas surrounding Talakadu, such as T. Narasipura, Mysuru, Nanjanagudu, Chamarajanagara, Yelanduru, Kollegal and Malavalli, we can see that there is considerable population Holeyas. It has to be given thought seriously that the Ganga Kingdom was established in this region. The time of Gangas and Kadambas which were established at Talakadu and in Malnad was a dark age for the Holeyas. Because it can be stated beyond doubt that the rise of these kingdoms signaled the exploitation and downfall of Holeyas. The Pallars and Holeyas who had once started agriculture and ruled in Tamilnadu and Karnataka have became untouchables today.

    When we compare Tamil and Kannada grammars we can see that ‘pa’ in Tamil become ‘ha’ in Kannada. ‘pa’ in Kannada become ‘ha’ or ‘ga’ in Tamil. Similarly ‘ka’, ‘cha’, ‘ta’, ‘tha’ and ‘pa’ in Kannda became ‘go’, ‘ja’, ‘do’, ‘dha’ and ‘ba’ in Tamil. ‘cha’ in Kannada becomes ‘sha’ in Tamil.

    Therefore, ‘polava’ becomes ‘hola’ and ‘poleya’ becomes ‘holeya’. ‘Mohan’ in Kannada becomes ‘Mogan’ in Tamil. Tamil word ‘pola’ is derived from the root word ‘poonjai’. ‘Pallan’ has become ‘pallar’, ‘pollan’ and ‘pollar’. It means that there are chances that ‘holeya’, ‘holer’, ‘holar’ and ‘haller’ have come from ‘poleya’, and that ‘pallar’ and ‘holeyas’ have common roots. In this background it is necessary to do a comparative cultural study of ‘pallar’ and ‘holeya’ communities. Because even though both ‘pallar’ and ‘paraiyan’ communities are untouchables in Tamilnadu both have remained separate from one another. But ‘holeya’ and ‘pariah’ have been identified with common roots. The word ‘pariah’ is used to denote bothe these communities in English.

    It is said that ‘pallar community is descended from ‘Mallas’, similarly the roots of ‘holeya’ community are also in the ‘Mallas’. The word ‘mala’ is derived from ‘Malla’. ‘Malla’ (Gorakhpur) community was one of 16 Mahajanapadas of ancient India.

    The ‘Madras census report’ of 1901 says about ‘chathi’ as follows. “Chatri-Recoreded, in the Madras Census Report 1901, as an equivalent of kshatriya. It occurs also as the name of an exogamous sept. meaning umbrella of the Holeyas” . That means ‘chathri’ community was equal to Kshtriya and was an internal community of holeya that married outside the community.

    It is believed that the ‘kshtriya’ sect among Gangadikar Holeyas are of royal lineage. My family is also a sect of Gangadikar Holeyas and belongs to kshatriya clan. Our ancestors are called ‘satti’, According to ancient belief we are of royal lineage, but it is not clear to which royal family. According to Kannada dictionary ‘sattige’ means ‘chathri’ (umbrella) I history ‘sattiga’ was a title of the kalyani chalukyas. Probably ‘sattige’ is a modification of ‘sattiga’, or ‘sattige’ means ‘chatri’ is equal to ‘Kshatriya’. As there are no evidences to prove this will remain as a comparatively mada quess.

    There are four main internal sects among the Maggada holeyas, ‘mandala’, ‘muchala’, ‘Enumala’ and ‘meenuglaru’. All these four sects have many subsects having their own ‘Kattemanes’. Onake Obavva of Chitradurga was the daughter of Kahale Chinnappa of Gudekote who belonged to the Kotekere Kattemane of Muchala sect. Obavva was married to Maddahanumapa, son of Doddahanumappa who belonged to the Belagere Dattemane of Mandala sect of Chitradurga. Maddahanumappa was a Watchman in the fort of Chitradurga during the rule of Madakarinayaka. Doddahanumappa was in the intelligence department. Chinnappa was a watchman in the fort of Gudekote. But it has been stated in the ‘Gazetteer of Karnataka’ that Obavva belonged to Nayaka community.

    There is one more myth regarding the ‘Enumala’ community. The Enumala people say that. Tipparaja was their first ancestor. According to the tradition and myth Tipparaja was from ‘Chalavadi holeya community (Tippamma Nayaka was from vijayapura, of Harati (Harti, Indi taluk) and Dodderi. He was a Kshatriya descendant. One morning Tipparaja’s virgin daughter was staring at the sein. She begot a son from the blessings of the sun. The family feared that her reputation will be spoilt and abandoned the child in a dungeon. That child was brought up by a shepherd named Kamma. As he had got the child in a ‘tippe’ (dajnheap) the child was named Pippa. As he grew up drinking buffalo’s milk he also got the name ‘Enumala’ (buffalo). After some time Tippa settled in Kamalapur near Hampi.

    Once Krishnadevaraya, king of Vijayanagara had come to Kamalapura to watch tiger-fight. One of the tigers escaped the arena and attacked the cattle in the village. Young Tippa intervened and killed the tiger using an axe. After sometime he defeated a wrestter who had come to the court of Vijayanagara. Krishnadevaraya was overjoyed by the valour of Tippa and gifted him the wild country of eastern part of chitradurga district, called Vanarajya. This vanarajya included Machisamudra, Gosikere and challadere regions, and Rangappanayakana kote (Madakashira-Andhra Pradesh) was its capital. The people of Mandala clan made Tippa their cultural leader by giving the right of first worship. He also got the rights over the Harati kote province. Even today the people of Enumala community do the pooja of the first ‘gaddige’ (seat of power). But H.V Veeranayak claims that Tippa belonged to Nayaka Community. This demands for a reassessment of his history.

    In the ‘Writings and Speeches of Ambedkar’ translated into Kannada by ‘Kannada Mattu Samskruti’ department, Ambedkar says as follows, in his preface to the book “who is an Untouchable”?

    “One has to be careful to separate the untouchables from the Holeyas while searching for the roots of the untouchables. All orthodox Hindu writers have identified Holeyas as untouchables. This is wrong because untouchables are different from Holeyas.

    While Holeyas came into existence as a community during the period of the Dharmasutras’ the untouchables came into existence quite lately, after 400C.E”

    These people who had identified their basic culture with the establishment and existence of many Kingdoms were once upon a time a ruling class. Their kingdoms shattered because of the conspiracies made to forcibly impose Vedic culture and because of external attacks. These people dispersed into scattered settlements20. They settled outside other places and guarded those places and gradually became untouchables.

    The main reason for the beginning of untouchability was the aversion shown by Buddhists and Brahmins towards consumption of beef. The Gupta kings declared slaughtering of cows to be a punishable offence. Therefore untouchability was born out of the conflict for supremacy between the Buddists and the Brahmins during 400 C.E.

    The Gupta reign is considered to be a golden age in the history of India. Because during this time India was completely under the control Brahmins, both socially and politically. At the same time, i.e., in the 4th century C.E the decline of Holeyas began by the establishment of Kadamba and Ganga kingdoms. But still these people preserved their native culture holding on to small provinces here and there. These memories still live on in their rituals and traditions.

    References :

    1. Ancient India- R.C. Majumdar & Bharatda Itihasa- D.T. Joshi

    2. Ambedkar and Mao Tsetung- R. Sangeetha Rao

    3. https://www.google.co.in/q=pallarcommunity

    4. Dakshina Bharatada Itihasa - Prof. G.R. Rangaswamayya

    5. Caste and Tribes of Southern India – Edgar Thurston

    6. Making History - SAKI

    7. Social and cultural History of Tamilnadu- N. Subramanian

    8. Dakshina Bharatada Itihasa - Prof. G.R. Rangaswamayya

    9. Indian History- V.K. Agnihotri

    10. Sirigannada Arthakosha- Dr. K. Shiavarama Karanta

    11. Karnataka Sanskrutiya Purva Peetike, Part -1- Sambha Joshi

    Making Historu- SAKI

    12. Sankshipta Kannada Bhashey Charitre- M.H. Krishnayya

    13. Sankshipta Kannada Bhashey Charitre- M.H. Krishnayya

    14. Caste and Tribes of Southern India- Edgar Thurston (Vol.- 2, page 23, C-J)

    15. Sankshipta Kannada Nighantu- Kannada Sahitya Parishat

    16. Information- Sajjanakere Siddalingappa amd Suvranamma- Chitradurga

    17. Gazetteer of Karnataka

    18. Article-Chitradurga Jilleyalli Harati Paleyagararu- B.S. Shayamala

    19. Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Avara Barahagalu mattu Bashanagalu- Vol.-7, Pradhan Gurudatta

    20. Samvaada-K.Mayannaswamy


     

    COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT THROUGH ETHICAL VALUES- THE IMPACT OF PROMOTION OF MORALITY IN SOCIETY


    LINGAMURTHY .G.H

    Assistant Professor of History, Co-Ordinator Post Graduate Center, Sri H.D. Devegowda First Grade College, Paduvalahippe, Holenarasipura Taluk, Hassan Distric T


    ABSTRACT

    A community can foster with the support of moral values as moral values cheer up the needs of community towards positive behavioral attitudes. A community can move towards proper development only when it has a moral environment. Moral values can be fostered in a community through involve of all stake holders & their complete participation. This paper looks at the imperative significance of promoting moral values & discusses the roles & responsibilities of stake holders in this task. The paper spotlights that a community’s shift towards empowerment can become a reality when its all community stake holders identify & understand the importance of promotion of moral values .

    Keywords: moral values, responsibilities of stake holders , behavioral attitudes community empowerment, development of community


    For harmonious living; value based relationships should be

    preferred over situation based relationships.” 

    - Neeraja bhanot

    INTRODUCTION

    The strength of the community lies in the promulgation of ethical competencies through individual & holistic initiatives. These initiatives should instigate community members to distinguish between right and wrong, virtue and sin and human & inhuman attitudes.( Desai & others -India Human Development in India challenges for a society in transition 2010).

    Community should be able to bring out the worthiness of all stake holders so that it could make an ideal and harmonious society. These moral initiatives aim not only at the pronouncement of the right aptitude, capacity and ability of the community members but also imparts social , moral and spiritual values, apart from pragmatic knowledge. An ethically empowered community would emphasize members to give importance to ethical value based education & careers for their children. ( Desai & others -India Human Development in India challenges for a society in transition 2010).

    DEFINING ETHICAL VALUES

    Moral values are the highest among all natural values. Goodness, purity, truthfulness, humility , genius, brilliancy, exuberant vitality etc. Positive moral values are the focus of the world, negative moral values, the greatest evil, worse than suffering, sickness, death, or the disintegration of a flourishing culture. Values are the rules by which we make decisions about right and wrong, should and shouldn't, good and bad. They also tell us which are more or less important, which is useful when we have to trade off meeting one value over another. Morals have a greater social element to values and tend to have a very broad acceptance. Morals are far more about good and bad than other values. One can judge others more strongly on morals than values. Ethics tend to be codified into a formal system or set of rules which are explicitly adopted by a group of people. Thus you have medical ethics. Ethics are thus internally defined and adopted, whilst morals tend to be externally imposed on other people.( Desai & others -India Human Development in India challenges for a society in transition 2010).

    LESSONS FROM ANCIENT INDIA

    The foremost sustenance of community in ancient India was to prepare children in diverse aptitudes which were supportive in tangible prerequisites of societal life besides making him a good human being. Hence ancient Indians gave importance to spread of education. ( Crawford, S. Cromwell (1982), The evolution of Hindu ethical ideals).According to Vedic scholars education was nothing but self enlightenment. The conceptualization of value based education which the present educationists are debating was already a manifested thought during ancient Vedic Indian period. A community flourishes with the inculcation of these ethical principles. ( Crawford, S. Cromwell (1982), The evolution of Hindu ethical ideals).

    BENEFITS OF MORAL VALUES ON POLICY MAKING – moral values benefits society in policy making.

    1. Extension of moral values leads to cognitive development of all stake holders in a society .

    2. Extension of moral values allows interactions within society with all community members without discrimination.

    3. Extension of moral values helps in taking acceptable decision making, discriminative reasoning & right judgment. These qualities help in forwarding community’s unanimous decisions / pledges / decrees/ resolutions / evaluations etc on enacting community developmental projects.

    4. A community which understands & identifies the key significance of ethical values can command policy makers to take right measures towards community welfare. (Kishore Choudhary. (2011), Effect of Globalization on Rural Entrepreneurship in India).

    5. They can thus pressurize government on policy making towards bridging these gaps & extension of moral values supports the policy makers to introduce & implement large number of community welfare oriented policies.

    6. An ethically empowered community would emphasize members to give importance to ethical value based education & careers for their children.( Desai & others -India Human Development in India challenges for a society in transition 2010).

    7. Extension of moral values thus helps the community members to gain notice of the policy makers to take action for their thorough welfare.( Kishore Choudhary. (2011), Effect of Globalization on Rural Entrepreneurship in India).

    BENEFITS ON SOCIO-CULTURAL PROGRESSION-Morality can play a vital role in socio cultural progression of a community.

    1. A community involves in several socio cultural activities in the form of community festivities, community religious ceremonies, community rituals, community sports, community events, community gatherings, community congregations, community assemblies etc.( Puruashotthama billimoria -Indian Ethics – Traditions & Contemporary Challenges ).

    2. Community leaders can utilize this opportunity to impart moral values. For instance marriage celebrations can be the best platform to indict ethical principles. Naming ceremonies , festivities ritual gatherings, national festival gatherings etc can be used to spread peer paradigms.(Report On The Education For Values In Schools 2009).

    3. Community leaders can inspire the community members to take oath about non wastage of food, non-use of plastic covers, minimal use of water , good management of waste foods, good management of surrounding environment etc. (Puruashotthama billimoria -Indian Ethics – Traditions & Contemporary Challenges).

    4. If community leaders practice what they preach, all community stake holders will listen to the goodness of their preaching & will be motivated to follow them.( Report On The Education For Values In Schools 2009).

    5. Thus a community wakes up to the righteousness of a good cause. Moral values give added pleasure of making the community walk along a right path. ( Report On The Education For Values In Schools 2009).

    BENEFITS ON PERSONALITY BUILDING – The ethical values help in personality building as well.

    1. The community as a whole should integrate to transmit ethical values through periodical community sessions. ( Report On The Education For Values In Schools 2009).

    2. This helps in personality building &trustworthiness of all the community stake holders. (Phillip Wagoner-Dharma: Hindu Approach to a Purposeful Life 2012).

    3. An ethically empowered community would emphasize members to give importance to ethical value based education & careers for their children.( Phillip Wagoner-Dharma: Hindu Approach to a Purposeful Life 2012).

    4. Children would naturally learn to respect humanistic values such as warmth, tolerance, brotherhood, honesty, compassion, sincerity etc. respect towards elders, respect towards every community member, respect for living will thus become habitual. This will (Report on the Education for Values in Schools 2009).This will help in deviating anti social thinking & helps to promote harmonious living.

    CONCLUSION

    Thus the development of a community is a positive way is mooted through stress of moral values. Only through these moral values community as a whole learns self-restraint, self-confidence, self-respect, discriminative reasoning and judgment which are needed for its progression. If these values are incorporated in a community at the right time, community contributes towards superior National streamlining via self discipline and self confidence. This dignity & optimism can make the community prepare their community building serves as a bastion in combating all social ills. A society can foster to positive living through good ethical values which strengthens & bonds each other individually.

    References

    1. Crawford, S. Cromwell (1982), The evolution of Hindu ethical ideals, Asian Studies Program, University of Hawaii Press

    2. Desai & others -India Human Development in India -challenges for a society in transition 2010

    3. Kishore Choudhary. (2011), Effect of Globalization on Rural Entrepreneurship in India, Half Yearly Global Economic Research Journal, Vol. I, Issue, pp. 88-92

    4. Mohapatra & Mohapatra, Hinduism: Analytical Study 2012

    5. Phillip Wagoner-Dharma: Hindu Approach to a Purposeful Life 2012

    6. Puruashotthama billimoria -Indian Ethics – Traditions & Contemporary Challenges

    7. Report On The Education For Values In Schools - A frame work – Department of Educational Psychology New Delhi 2011

    8. Rokeach, M. (1973). The Nature of Human Values. New York: judge coronel The Free Press.

    9. Tiwari, K. N. (1998), Classical Indian Ethical Thought: A Philosophical Study of Hindu, Jaina, and Buddhist Morals, Motilal Banarsidass Publishers

    10. Wilhelm Halbfass, Tradition and Reflection - Explorations in Indian Thought, State University of New York Press

    11. William F. Goodwin, Ethics and Value in Indian Philosophy, Philosophy East and West, Vol. 4, No. 4 (Jan., 1955), 


     

    Progress of Micro Finance-SHGs in Women Empowerment in the State of Karnataka


    Mr.Srinivas.K.T* & Mr. Devaraju**

    *Research Scholar, DoS in Commerce, University of Mysore, Mysore.

    **Research Scholar, DoS in Commerce, University of Mysore, Mysore.


    Abstract

    Microfinance refers to small savings, credit and insurance services extended to socially and economically disadvantaged segments of society. It is emerging as a powerful tool for poverty alleviation in India. India falls under low income class according to World Bank. It is second populated country in the world and around 70 % of its population lives in rural area. 60% of people depend on agriculture, as a result there is chronic underemployment and per capita income is only $ 3262. This is not enough to provide food to more than one individual. The obvious result is miserable poverty, low rate of education, low sex ratio, and exploitation. The major factor account for high incidence of rural poverty is the low asset base. According to Reserve Bank of India, about 51 % of people house possess only 10% of the total asset of India .This has resulted low production capacity both in agriculture (which contribute around 22-25% of GDP) and Manufacturing sector. Rural people have very low access to institutionalized credit (from commercial bank). This paper puts forward to know the progress of Micro-finance-SHGs in Women empowerment in the state of Karnataka, to achieve the above said objective data gathered from primary and secondary Source, from the present study effects of Micro-finance-SHGs are identified; Women gets self employment, which leads in rise in income level, intern which helps for better standard of living, then women empowerment, later self reliance, then slowly poverty can be alleviation. from the a present study it is found that Bidar district stood at first place in terms of having more number of women SHGs i.e. 22,05 in the state of Karnataka. S.Canara stood at second place with women SHGs of 20,966. Then Mandya stood at third place with 16,503 SHGs. with this fact it can be conclude that these districts are contributing good efforts for women empowerment through SHGs.

    Keywords: Microfinance, SHGs, Women Empowerment, Poverty Alleviation,


    Introduction

    Microfinance is emerging as a powerful instrument for poverty alleviation in the new economy. In India, Microfinance scene is dominated by Self Help Group (SHGs)-Bank Linkage Programme as a cost effective mechanism for providing financial services to the “Unreached Poor” which has been successful not only in meeting financial needs of the rural poor women but also strengthen collective self help capacities of the poor ,leading to their empowerment. Rapid progress in SHG formation has now turned into an empowerment movement among women across the country. Economic empowerment results in women’s ability to influence or make decision, increased self confidence, better status and role in household etc. Micro finance is necessary to overcome exploitation, create confidence for economic self reliance of the rural poor, particularly among rural women who are mostly invisible in the social structure.

    In the development paradigm, Micro-finance has evolved as a need-based policy and program to cater to the so far neglected target groups (women, poor, rural, deprived, etc.). Its evolution is based on the concern of all developing countries for empowerment of the poor and the alleviation of poverty. Development organizations and policy makers have included access to credit for poor people as a major aspect of many poverty alleviation programs. Micro-finance programs have, in the recent past, become one of the more promising ways to use scarce development funds to achieve the objectives of poverty alleviation. Furthermore, certain Micro-finance programs have gained prominence in the development field and beyond. The basic idea of Micro-finance is simple: if poor people are provided access to financial services, including credit, they may very well be able to start or expand a micro-enterprise that will allow them to break out of poverty.

    According to Vice President of World Bank Micro finance can be the biggest instrument in the fight against poverty. Despite the South Asian Region’s pioneering experiments in micro finance-successful instances include the Grameena Bank in Bangladesh and Self Help Group – commercial bank linkage in Rural India – More than 3/4th of the poor families in the region still do not have reliable and organized financial services. This means that they and their little business cannot link up to the modern banking facilities.

    Micro financing has attained a special role as an instrument in poverty reduction the world over. There is a realization at both the government and donor agency levels that Micro-finance programs in India also enable empowerment of women. However, there have been doubts about this role of improvement in livelihoods and access to resources and social benefits such as improvement in knowledge and participation of selected Micro-finance programmes. Thus, Micro-finance has become one of the most effective interventions for economic empowerment of the poor.

    Empowerment implies expansion of assets and capabilities of people to influence control and hold accountable institution that affects their lives (World Bank Resource Book).Empowerment is the process of enabling or authorizing an individual to think, behave, take action and control work in an autonomous way. It is the state of feelings of self-empowered to take control of one’s own destiny. It includes both controls over resources (Physical, Human, Intellectual and Financial) and over ideology (Belief, values and attitudes) (Batliwala, 1994). Empowerment can be viewed as a means of creating a social environment in which one can take decisions and make choice either individually or collectively for social transformation. It strength innate ability by way of acquiring knowledge power and experience.

    Empowerment is a multi-dimensional social process that helps people gain control over their own lives communities and in their society, by acting on issues that they define as important. Empowerment occurs within sociological psychological economic spheres and at various levels, such as individual, group and community and challenges our assumptions about status quo, asymmetrical power relationship and social dynamics. Empowering women puts the spotlight on education and employment which are an essential element to sustainable development.

    Concept and Features of Micro Finance

    The term micro finance is of recent origin and is commonly used in addressing issues related to poverty alleviation, financial support to micro entrepreneurs, gender development etc. There is, however, no statutory definition of micro finance. The taskforce on supportitative policy and Regulatory Framework for Microfinance has defined microfinance as “Provision of thrift, credit and other financial services and products of very small amounts to the poor in rural, semi-urban or urban areas for enabling them to raise their income levels and improve living standards”. The term “Micro” literally means “small”. But the task force has not defined any amount. However as per Micro Credit Special Cell of the Reserve Bank Of India , the borrowal amounts upto the limit of Rs.25000/- could be considered as micro credit products and this amount could be gradually increased up to Rs.40000/- over a period of time which roughly equals to $500 – a standard for South Asia as per international perceptions.

    The term micro finance sometimes is used interchangeably with the term micro credit. However while micro credit refers to purveyance of loans in small quantities, the term microfinance has a broader meaning covering in its ambit other financial services like saving, insurance etc. as well.

    The mantra “Microfinance” is banking through groups. The essential features of the approach are to provide financial services through the groups of individuals, formed either in joint liability or co-obligation mode. The other dimensions of the microfinance approach are:

    • Savings/Thrift precedes credit

    • Credit is linked with savings/thrift

    • Absence of subsidies

    • -Group plays an important role in credit appraisal, monitoring and recovery.

    Basically groups can be of two types:

    Self Help Groups (SHGs): The group in this case does financial intermediation on behalf of the formal institution. This is the predominant model followed in India.

    Grameen Groups: In this model, financial assistance is provided to the individual in a group by the formal institution on the strength of group’s assurance. In other words, individual loans are provided on the strength of joint liability/co obligation. This microfinance model was initiated by Bangladesh Grameen Bank and is being used by some of the Micro Finance Institutions (MFIs) in our country.

    Statement of the Problem

    Mitigation of poverty, the core of all developmental efforts has remained a very multifaceted and serious concern for developing countries. Experience has shown that many of the poverty alleviation programmes have not achieved the expected success. In spite of considerable improvement in the status of women, they still comprise the largest section of deprived population. Empowerment of women is seen as one of the most important means of poverty eradication. Lack of capital is a serious constraint to the development of poor women in rural and urban areas who find little or no access to credit. Credit can help women take-up farm and allied activities such as keeping milch cattle, poultry or independent small enterprises, enabling them to respond to the opportunities created by the process of development.

    Micro credit for women has been the mantra that has worked like nothing else in pulling the poor women out of poverty and empowering them wherever it was introduced. In the field of Micro-finance, Financial Inclusion and Self Help Groups’ Bank Linkage Programme, with the active support of Government of India and NABARD for wiping out absolute poverty from the country. In this back ground present study is chosen to know the progress of Micro finance -SHGs in the state of Karnataka for alleviation of poverty and empowering women through micro-finance.

    Objectives of the Study

    1. To understand the concept of micro finance and its importance.

    2. To study the Progress of SHGs formation in the state of Karnataka

    3. To study the number of Women SHGs in the state of Karnataka

    4. to know the SHGs Savings with Bank in the state of Karnataka

    5. To offer suitable suggestions based on the findings of the study.

    Scope of the Study

    The present study is confined to the Micro finance - SHGs in the state of Karnataka only.

    Data Collection:

    To achieve the aforesaid objectives data gathered from primary as well as secondary sources. Primary data collected by interacting the with officials of department of Department of Micro Finance, Karnataka State Co operative Apex Bank Ltd., Chamarajpet, Bangalore. Secondary data collected from various published reports Apex Bank Ltd, research articles, and from official circulars.

    Tools used for analysis

    The collected data analyzed by using simple statistical tools like ratio, tables, graphs etc.

    Table No.1 : Table showing the Progress of SHGs Formation for the Month End December 2014

    Sl. No.

    Name of The DCCB

    Progress as on 31- 03-2014

    Achievement during 2014- 15

    Rank

    Cumulative progress since inception (as on 31-12-2014

    Rank

    SHGs six months old

    Bagalkot

    7551

    254

    10

    7805

    12

    7079

    Bangalore

    7875

    232

    12

    8107

    11

    7115

    Belgaum

    14146

    1575

    1

    15721

    4

    12987

    Bellary

    6677

    228

    13

    6905

    17

    6734

    Bidar

    21092

    960

    2

    22052

    2

    21499

    Bijapur

    5803

    361

    6

    6164

    18

    6093

    Chikmanglore

    12938

    56

    21

    12994

    6

    12653

    Chitradurga

    6841

    133

    17

    6974

    16

    6835

    Davangere

    5755

    112

    20

    5867

    19

    4806

    Gulbarga

    7007

    170

    15

    7177

    15

    5939

    Hassan

    13925

    132

    18

    14057

    5

    13233

    Kcc-Dharwad

    8866

    299

    9

    9165

    10

    7000

    Kolar

    2101

    130

    19

    2231

    21

    1885

    Kodagu

    4555

    135

    16

    4690

    20

    4596

    Mandya

    16365

    952

    3

    17317

    3

    16140

    Mysore

    11390

    245

    11

    11635

    8

    9809

    N.Kanara

    6859

    346

    7

    7205

    14

    6651

    Raichur

    6544

    673

    5

    7217

    13

    5199

    Shimoga

    9194

    312

    8

    9506

    9

    9426

    S.Canara

    30064

    877

    4

    30941

    1

    30476

    Tumkur

    11478

    212

    14

    11690

    7

    11404

     

    Total

    217026

    8394

     

    225420

     

    207559

    Sources: Department of Micro Finance, Karnataka State Co operative Apex Bank Ltd., Chamarajpet, Bangalore 18


    Interpretation:

    The above table depicts the progress of SHGs formation. From the above table it can observe the progress of SHGs in various districts of Karnataka as on 31-3-2014 and achievement (new) of SHGs during 2014-15 and cumulative progress of SHGs from inceptions on 31-3-2014 and it can also observe in the table that six months old SHGs. from the above table it is found that S. Canara having highest number of SHGs as compared to other districts of Karnataka state with an number of 30,941 SHGs. Bidar stood at second highest number of SHGs with an number of 22,052SHGs and Mandya stood at third highest with a number of 17,317 SHGs. from the above table it also found the progress of formation of SHGs during 2014- 15, during the present year in term of formation of SHGs Belgaum stood at first place with the formation of 1575 SHGs . Bidar stood at second position with the formation of 960 SHGs in present year. Mandya stood at third position with number of 952 SHGs. Chikmanglore stood last place with least performance in terms of formation of SHGs with a number of 52 only.

    Table No.2 : Table showing the Women SHGs in various districts in the state of Karnataka as on end December 2014

    Sl. No.

    Name of The DCCB

    Women SHGs

    Rank

    1

    Bagalkot

    6779

    16

    2

    Bangalore

    8043

    10

    3

    Belgaum

    13044

    4

    4

    Bellary

    6822

    15

    5

    Bidar

    22052

    1

    6

    Bijapur

    5578

    17

    7

    Chikmanglore

    12038

    6

    8

    Chitradurga

    6974

    14

    9

    Davangere

    5558

    18

    10

    Gulbarga

    7065

    13

    11

    Hassan

    12299

    5

    12

    Kcc-Dharwad

    8027

    11

    13

    Kolar

    2231

    21

    14

    Kodagu

    3712

    20

    15

    Mandya

    16503

    3

    16

    Mysore

    10506

    7

    17

    N.Kanara

    5513

    19

    18

    Raichur

    7162

    12

    19

    Shimoga

    8171

    9

    20

    S.Canara

    20966

    2

    21

    Tumkur

    10122

    8

    Total

    199165

     

    Sources: Department of Micro Finance, Karnataka State Co operative Apex Bank Ltd., Chamarajpet, Bangalore 18

     

    Interpretation:

    The above table depicts the Women SHGs in various districts in the state of Karnataka. It is observed that Bidar district stood at first place in terms of having more number of women SHGs i.e. 22,052 SHGs in the state of Karnataka. S.Canara stood at second place with women SHGs of 20,966SHGs. Then Mandya stood at third place with 16,503 SHGs. N. Kanara stood at 19th place with a number of 5513SHGs. Kodagu and Kolar stood at 20th and 21st place with 3712 SHGs and 2231 SHGs respectively. From the above table it can understand that there is good progress of SHGS in different districts of Karnataka for the women empowerment.

    Graph No.1 : Graph showing Number of SHGs and also women SHGs out of total SHGs in the state of Karnataka as on end December 2014


    Inference:

    The above graph depicts the total number of SHGs and also women SHGs in various districts of Karnataka State. From the above table it can be observed that S.Canara having more number of SHGs even percentage of Women SHGs is also more in S. Canara. Then Bidar stood at second place and Mandya stood at third place. From the above graph it is found that very less number of SHGs and Women SHGs are found in Kolar district.

    Table No.3 : Table showing the SHGs Savings with Bank in the state of Karnataka on end December 2014

    Sl. No.

    Name of The DCCB

    SHGs Savings with Bank/PACS (Rs. In Crores)

    Rank

    Bagalkot

    3.33

    15

    Bangalore

    3.04

    16

    Belgaum

    14.41

    6

    Bellary

    4.47

    14

    Bidar

    18.22

    3

    Bijapur

    13.50

    9

    Chikmanglore

    14.28

    8

    Chitradurga

    0.05

    21

    Davangere

    0.10

    20

    Gulbarga

    2.86

    18

    Hassan

    19.71

    2

    Kcc-Dharwad

    6.33

    12

    Kolar

    2.80

    19

    Kodagu

    5.69

    13

    Mandya

    17.31

    4

    Mysore

    15.65

    5

    N.Kanara

    14.65

    7

    Raichur

    2.90

    17

    Shimoga

    8.59

    11

    S.Canara

    63.65

    1

    Tumkur

    10.56

    10

     

    Total

    242.10

     

    Sources: Department of Micro Finance, Karnataka State Co operative Apex Bank Ltd., Chamarajpet, Bangalore 18

    Interpretation:

    The above table depicts the SHGs Savings with Bank in the state of Karnataka. From the table it can be observed that S. Canara stood at first place in terms of SHGs savings with Bank with an amount of Rs. 63.65Crores, and then Hassan stood at second place with an amount of Rs. 19.71 Crores. Bidar stood at third place even though it is a backward district in the state of Karnataka with an amount of Rs.18.22 Crores. Kolar stood at 19th Place with an amount of Rs. 2.80Crores. Davangere and Chitradurga stood at 20th and 21st place with an amount of Rs. 0.10 Crores and Rs. 0.05 Crores respectively.

    Conclusion:

    From the above study it is found that progress of women SHGs in Karnataka year by year is commendable. From the study it is also found that SHGs have been identified as a way to alleviate poverty and women empowerment. And women empowerment aims at realizing their identities, power and potentiality in all spheres of lives. It should be noted that the real empowerment of women is possible only when a woman has increased access to economic resources, more confidence and self motivation, more strength, more recognition and say in the family matters and more involvement through participation. Although it is a gradual and consistent process, but women should build their mindset for taking additional effort willingly for their overall development. SHGs have the potential to have an impact on women empowerment. at last it can be conclude that India is the country where a mutual model between banks, NGOs, MFIs and Women’s organizations is furthest advanced. It therefore serves as a good preliminary point to look at what we know so far about ‘Best Practice’ in relation to micro-finance for women’s empowerment and how different institutions can work together.

    Reference

    1. Abdul Raheem, aphyasmeen and solthana kissan (2007), World empowerment of women thought self help group a view sakthi sugans Ltd, Pp. 48

    2. Anitha H S and Revenkar A D (2007), “Micro Credit through SHG for Rural Development”, Southern Economist, Vol. 46, No. 8.

    3. Anandarajkumar P. “Multi programme approach to Women’s Economic Independence” Kurukshetra, Vol. XLIII No. 11 August 1995 PP 73-76.

    4. Arjun Y., Pangannavar (2010) "Women SHG Programmes and Rural Poverty: A Micro Study" Southern Economist, Pp47-50

    5. Agarwal P. “Role of Women in Socio-Economic Development” Social Welfare March 1987 Pp 13-16.

    6. Bhatia B S, Verma H L and Garg M C (1994), Encyclopedia of Cooperative Management, Deep and Deep Publication, New Delhi.

    7. Chandra P., Parida and Anushree Sinha (2010) "Performance and Sustainability of Self Help Groups in India: A Gender Perspective" Asian Development Review, Vol.-27(1), pp80-103.

    8. Ganapathi R and Sannasi S (2008), “Women Entrepreneurship: The Road Ahead”, Southern Economist, Vol. 46, No. 18, pp. 36-38.

    9. Gudaganavar Nagaraj V and Gudaganavar Rajashri S (2008), “Empowerment of Rural Women through SHG”, Southern Economist, Vol. 47, No. 19, pp. 35-37.

    10. Jayaraman R. (2005) "Performance Analysis of Fisherwomen SHGs in Tamilnadu" final report submitted to NABARD, pp1-63.


     

    Attitude towards E-Learning among secondary school teachers in Mandya city


    Dr.Latha.M

    Guest Faculty, Department of Studies in Education, University of Mysore, Mysore-570006


    Abstract

    The research article conducted to examine secondary school teachers attitude towards E-Learning of secondary school teachers of Mandya city in relation to gender subjects taught and types of schools. The study was conducted on sample of 120 secondary school teachers in Mandya City. The sample was drawn by simple Random Sampling Technique. The findings revealed that no significant difference between gender, subjects taught and government, aided and unaided secondary school teachers of Mandya City.


    Introduction

    In the modern era Information and communication Technology is becoming part and parcel of the educational system. ICT is medium of teaching and learning ans also an assisting tool for making assignments, collecting data and documentation, communicating and conducting research. ICT provides enjoyable environment for both teacher and learner. Educational technology also called Learning technology is the study and ethical practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using and managing appropriate technological processess and resources.Teachers are the learning and information architects of e-education and experiences the challenges of their e- teaching in the most unexpected ways. The e-teacher is surrounded by rapidly changing e-environments and technologies.

    The concept of E-Learning

    E-learning refers to internet based learning or web based learning or online learning is the delivery of learning /training/educational programme by electronic means. According to Laurillare(2006) “E-Learning as the use of any of the new technologies or applications in the services of learning or learner support”.

    Types of E-Learning

    There are fundamentally two types of E-Learning

    1. Synchronous Learning

    2. AsynchronousLearning

    Synchronous, means at the same time involves interaction of participants with an instructor via the web in real time. Synchronous technologies are telephone, video conferencing, web conferencing .

    Asynchronous means not at the same time allows the participants to take their own pace, without live ineraction with the instructor. Asychronous technologies are audio casette, e-mail, message board forums, cell phones voice mail, video cassette, CD-ROMS. A new form of learning known as blended learning is emerging. As the name suggests it is an amalgamation of synchronous and asychronous learning methods.

    E-Learning Applications

    E-examination: students are administered many proof exams in the internet environment before the formal exams.

    E-drills: with the internet based drill softwares, it is aimed to create an effective and productive studying atmosphere for students.

    E-book and E- television : in order to enable the students to access the books and TV programs on the internet, the content of the course books and TV programs could be presented on the internet as e- books and e –television.

    E-counselling: one to one academic counselling provided to the students could also be provided in a similar format on the internet. Parallel to the research software students are allowed to ask questions to their academic counselors related to their study subject.

    Strategies for E-Learning

    E-lecturing : E-lecturing as learning environment provides crucial concept and techniques to techniques to fulfill learner’s need so as to solve the problems through lecturers and discussions. It uses learning management system. As awe bases platform for distributing and facilitating the e- learning curricula.

    E-mentoring: it facilitates the learner to seek assistance from the mentor electronically. Online mentor is a professional assistant in a particular subject area where in a resource person provides ongoing feedback.

    E-tutorial: it is an instrument in the hand of modern educator to provide education to the learner to bridge the gaps of face to face interaction and to provide expertise to master the content of a particular course.

    Need and importance of the study

    Introduction of Information and Communication Technology into schools and college had impact on teachers in terms of their overall workload, including preparing lesson plan with the administrative functions and educational context. The ability of the teacher to integrate ICT into the learning experience of pupils in such away that the potential of the technology is fully realised. Teachers have to be confident in their own ICT capabilities and understand the potential benefits of using technology in a planned and pedagogially sound way on this context the investigator interested to study the attitude of secondary school teachers on E-Learning.

    Objectives of the study

    To study the attitude of secondary school teachers towards E-Learning in relation to gender, subjects taught and types of school. To study the level of attitude of secondary school teachers towards E-Learning.

    Hypothesis of the study

    • There is no significant difference between male and female secondary school teachers towards E-Learning

    • There is no significant difference between arts and science secondary school teachers towards E-Learning

    • There is no significant difference between government, aided and unaided secondary school teachers towards E-Learning

    Research question

    What is the level of attitude towards E-Learning among secondary school teachers of Mandya city?

    Methodology

    Design of the study

    The present study was descriptive nature and normative survey method.

    Sample of the study

    The study was conducted on sample of 120 secondary school teachers in Mandya City. The sample was drawn by simple random sampling technique giving due representation of gender, subjects taught and types of school.

    Tools used in the study

    In the present study, the attitude towards E-Learning scale developed by investigator. 40 statements includes 22 statements were positive and 18 statements were negative. Reliability of the scale is 0.71




    Statistical Analysis

    Mean, Standard Deviation and ‘t’ test were used to assess the significant difference between gender, subjects taught . F- ratio was used to assess the significant difference between Government, Aided and Unaided secondary school teachers.

    Research question

    What is the level of attitude towards E-Learning among secondary school teachers of Mandya city.

    Table-1: Details of level of Attitude towards E-Learning among secondary school teachers of Mandya city

    Sl no

    Level of Attitude

    Frequency

    Percentage

    1

    Positive

    51

    42.5

    2

    Uncertain

    46

    38.3

    3

    Negative

    23

    19.1

     

    Total

    120

    100


    As it is indicated in the table 1 it is found that 42.5 % of the secondary school teachers showed positive attitude and 38.5 % of the secondary school teachers showed uncertain and 19 % of secondary school teachers showed negative attitude towards E-Learning.

    Table20: Details of Significance difference between sub variables in Attitude of secondary school teachers towards E-Learning

    Sub variable

    No of teachers

    Mean

    SD

    t value

    Result

    Male

    70

    16.4

    2.41

     

    0.94

     

    Not significant at 0.05 level

    Female

    50

    16.1

    1.56

    Science

    42

    12.34

    1.13

     

    0.31

    Not significant at 0.05 level

    Arts

    78

    12.24

    1.92

    Government

    24

    23.94

    2.36

     

    F value 1.427

     

    Not significant at 0.01 level

    Aided

    36

    23.21

    5.24

    Unaided

    36

    22.53

    6.11


    Evident from the table that the ‘t’value 0.94 & 0.31 and F value 1.427 is not significant at 0.05 and 0.01 level respectively. Hence the null hypothesis is accepted that there is no significant difference with respect to gender, subject of study and types of schools of secondary school teachers of Mandya city towards E-Learning.

    Conclusion

    Symbol of globalisation has been spectacular development of Technology and are integrates into all aspects of life. Technology is a versatile and valuabe tool for teaching and learning and is becoming a way of life. The most important thing is the teachers need to be prepared to use these technologies effectively. Teacher is the architect of our future generation. The role of teacher is significant and valuable. Learning with computer and internet in which technology facilitate learning across the curriculum, integrating skills development with curriculum application. Institutions can use technology effectively and it must be done for the welfare of students, teachers and society.

    Reference:

    • Clark, Ruth, C.and Mayer, Richard, E.(2003). E-Learning and the science of instruction: proven guidelines for consumers and designers of multimedia learning , Jossey-Bass /Pfeiffer Edition.

    • Suresh Chandra Pachauri and Pardeep Kumar,(2011). E-Learning Adavance educational technology:A.P.H Publishing Corporation New Delhi.

     

    ISSUES OF NUTRITION & COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT


    Dr. SHASHIKUMAR

    Assistant Professor & HOD, Department of Sociology, Government First Grade College for Women, Hassan


    ABSTRACT

    Nutrition has been a serious imperative of health level indication in India. This issue of nutrition & community development is being debated across the world. The gravity of the situation is that it affects women more than it affects men due to the specific nutrition needs of women during childhood , adolescence, pregnancy, and lactation period etc. Widespread nutrition deprivation among women perpetuates an inter-generational cycle of nutrition deprivation in children. An integrated approach can assist in the nutrition issue & community can be strengthened to move towards progression. A healthy mother will help the community to empower towards healthier community. This paper looks at the understanding of the issue its deeper impact on community development & addresses the strategies so far adopted & the prospective strategies that can strengthen the nutrition policy of the government.

    Keywords: Nutrition, health indicator, effects on deprivation, impact on national progression , community development


    Malnutrition is more common in India than in Sub-Saharan Africa. One in every three malnourished children in the world lives in India”

    - UNICEF REPORT 1993


    Understanding the issues connected with Nutrition is very vast & a community suffering from Nutrition problems cannot thrive. Childhood is a time of critical growth in which proper nutrition is absolutely necessary. Children who have poor diets whether because of a lack of food or because of patterns of eating that lead to inadequate intake of nutrients are prone to significant short-term and long term health impacts and diseases. Children afflicted by sustained poor nutrition are at greater risk for obesity, mental and emotional health problems, and a failure to thrive academically.( Report Of The National Nutrition Policy -Government Of India Ministry Of Women & Child Welfare-1993).Undernourished girls grow up to become undernourished women who give birth to a new generation of undernourished children . Women are given the responsibility – but often not the means (empowerment) – to ensure optimal nutrition for their children. A recent study in Andhra Pradesh shows that women with higher autonomy (both financial and physical, for example – the freedom to go to the market) are less likely to have diminutive children. 

    THE IMPACT LEVEL

    This evil of under nutrition is a very seriously severe issue. It is an inter-generational cycle of under nutrition transmitted from mothers to children even before birth. It has multi faceted impact on India’s present progression & its futuristic growth . Undernourished children are much more likely to suffer from infection and die from common childhood illnesses such as diarrhea, pneumonia, measles, malaria while compared to well nourished children. (Report Ministry of Food & Civil Supplies, Food and Nutrition Board, Department of Food 2009).According to recent estimates, more than a third of all deaths in children aged five years or younger is attributable to the under nutrition issue. This explains the seriousness of the problem.(Report Ministry of Food & Civil Supplies, Food and Nutrition Board, Department of Food 2009).

    Problems with pregnant women-Under nutrition puts women at a greater risk of pregnancy-related complications and death. 

    Problems with education- Under nourished children’s educational performances also is effected as they fail to exhibit sound scholastic learning . 

    Problems with economic development- Widespread child under nutrition greatly impedes India’s socio-economic development and potential to reduce poverty ( Report Ministry of Food & Civil Supplies, Food and Nutrition Board, Department of Food 2009).

    HOW TO AVOID IMPENDING UNDER NUTRITIONAL IMPACT

    1. Timely initiation of breastfeeding within one hour of birth

    2. Exclusive breast feeding in the first six months of baby

    3. Timely introduction of complementary foods for first six months

    4.  Selection of appropriate foods for children ranging from six months to two years

    5. Safe and hygienic complementary feeding practices for babies

    6. Full immunization and bi-annual vitamin A supplementation with de-worming

    7. Appropriate feeding for children during and after illness period

    8. Therapeutic feeding for children with severe acute malnutrition

    9. Adequate nutrition and anemia control for adolescent girls 

    10. Adequate nutrition and anemia control for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers

    PARADIGM ACROSS THE GLOBE IN COMBATING UNDER NUTRITION-

    A number of emergent economies have successfully addressed their nutrition challenge. China reduced child under nutrition by more than half (from 25% to 8%) between 1990 and 2002; Brazil reduced child under nutrition by 60 percent (from 18% to 7%) from 1975 to 1989; and Vietnam reduced child under nutrition by 40 percent (from 45% to 27%) between 1990 and 2006. Four lessons can be learned from these countries’ experience: ( Report Ministry of Food & Civil Supplies, Food and Nutrition Board, Department of Food 1989).

    PROSPECTIVE PLANNING

    1. ensuring leadership- Leadership at the highest level ensured that priority is given to child nutrition outcomes, with large investments in nutrition interventions and poverty alleviation strategies in the context of rapid economic growth; 

    2. Targeted nutrition interventions- Targeted nutrition interventions to prevent and treat under nutrition as part of a continuum of care, particularly among the most vulnerable children and women. This has been a very important step. 

    3. Reliance on community -Reliance on community-based primary health care as the delivery system to ensure high coverage with essential nutrition interventions for the youngest children, adolescent girls, and pregnant women.

    4. Strong supervision -Strong supervision, independent monitoring and evaluation, and knowledge management to provide the evidence base for timely and effective policy, program, and budgetary action.

    CHILD NUTRITION, AS A NATIONAL PRIORITY-Government of India can take precautionary initiatives to reduce under nutrition ( Report Ministry of Food & Civil Supplies, Food and Nutrition Board, Department of Food 1989).

    1. Government of India should take strong steps to reduce improvement of girl’s nutrition during adolescence,

    2. Government of India should take strong steps to improvement of maternal nutrition during pregnancy and lactation, and

    3. Government of India should take strong steps to improvement of children’s nutrition in the first two years of life.

    4. Government of India should take strong steps to address the challenge of child under nutrition.The prevention and treatment of child under nutrition in the first two years of life needs to become a national development priority.

    5. Government of India should take strong steps to focus on women’s nutrition and their empowerment to make informed choices about the nutrition and well-being of their children will make of India a global leader. 

    6. Government of India should take strong steps to combine the existing technical knowledge with the political will to change the lives of millions of children and women in India. India can do it and we stand ready to support the government in this endeavor, and unite for children.

    7. Government of India should take strong steps to promoting pregnancy weight gain through appropriate feeding and caring practices of pregnant women, breastfeeding promotion, introducing semi-solid low-cost nutritious foods from six months onward in the child’s diet (in terms of improved food quantity, quality and frequency), safe water and hygienic practices, early seeking of health care for childhood ailments, adequate feeding of girls and women, and empowerment of women to choose for themselves and their children

    8. Government of India should take strong steps towards enhancing health and nutrition education involving women’s groups and local elected members (rural Panchayat Institutions and Urban Local Bodies), promote environmental sanitation, including use of toilets, maintenance of drainage and safe disposal of solid waste, prevent early marriage and pregnancy

    9. Ensuring referral and treatment of severely malnourished children to Nutrition Rehabilitation Centers (NRC) managed by CINI and the Government 

    10. Training frontline anganwadi workers and supervisors of the national  Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) programme, the flagship nutrition initiative of Government of India can be more supportive.

    CONCLUSION

    Thus educating the whole community about nutrition is important because healthy kids grow up to be healthy adults. Good nutrition for a child focuses on a healthy diet coupled with regular physical activity. Community should b sensitized to avoid categorizing foods as all bad or all good. Instead, teaching children to reserve certain foods for special events and occasional consumption. Community should allow children to choose what they eat, but adults should ensure that every option available to them is a healthy one. Healthy habits always breed healthier communities.

    REFERENCES-

    1. Report Of The National Nutrition Policy -Government Of India Ministry Of Women & Child Welfare-1993

    2. Ministry of Food & Civil Supplies, Food and Nutrition Board, Department of Food, National Workshop on Dietary and Nutritional Guidelines for food and agriculture planning, October 4-6, 1989, New Delhi.

    3. Rao, N. Pralahad and Gowrinath, - Diet and Nutrition Profile in Ten States of India over a Decade in the implementation of a National Nutrition Policy in India, October 28-30, 1985, Srinagar.

    4. National Institute of Nutrition, National Nutrition Monitoring Bureau, Report on Urban Population, Hyderabad, 1984.

    5. National Institute of Nutrition, National Nutrition Monitoring Bureau, 1981, 1982,Hyderabad.

    6. National Institute of Nutrition, Nutrition. News 8(6), Nov. 1987, Hyderabad. India. Ministry of Planning, Central Statistical Organization, Second seminar on Social Statistics, February 4-6, 1988. New Delhi, 1988.

    7. National Institute of Nutrition, National Nutrition Monitoring Bureau, Interim Report of Repeat Survey. Phase-I. 1989


     

    POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT OF STUDENT MINDSET TOWARDS REALIZING GENDER EQUITY


    Dr. VEENA.H.N.

    Associate Professor & HOD, Department of Sanskrit, Government Arts College, Hassan-573201


    ABSTRACT

    Neuroscientists have discovered through a series of observations that optimism plays a major role in framing the mindset & even Bhagavad Geetha stresses on having sportive & positive mindset. Scientific studies have revealed that students with a positive viewpoint have less academic stress, better creative options, better problem-solving skills, and better health outcomes than students with less optimistic aptitude. In addition, optimistic learners are more likely to persist in learning, motivated by the conviction that they can accomplish their learning goals. More optimistic students also have greater resistance to depression and the negative effects of academic stress. This paper examines the issues connected with framing a positive mindset among students in a campus & spotlights the imperative adoption of mindset by making students to identify the relevance of a positive mindset towards education & community.

    Keywords: Positive Mindset, Goal Setting , Campus Life, academic Stress , Programs for optimistic outcome


    The growth of mindset, the understanding of intelligence and abilities as qualities we can develop, has been shown over and over to have powerful ramifications on student motivation and learning, and school success. When teachers and students focus on improvement rather than on whether they're smart, kids learn a lot more”

    - Jeff Raikes, CEO, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation


    INTRODUCTION

    With changing campus necessities, shifting student needs, mandated curriculum adjustments, and a societal call to influence technology for a variety of reasons our education system has come under lots of modifications ( David H. - Growth Mindset -A Driving Philosophy not just a tool - Edutopia 2014).Psychological impact has heavy impact on student learning. This shows remarkable power to improve student’s success rates. The strength of psychological interventions serve to highlight the importance of changing the mindset of the students & thereby community. Achieving academic success is needed by students & even parents also expect the same from children

    OBJECTIVES OF STUDY

    1. Understanding the need for making students have positive mindset

    2. Motivating the weak & vulnerable students to spring back to life

    3. Enhancing stakeholders responsibilities

    CORE PRINCIPLES OF POSITIVE MINDSET

    Academic success depends on a strong mind which thinks positively ,acts positively ,views positively & plans positively. The following are the core principles of positive mindset.

    1. Accepting challenges

    2. Learning from mistakes

    3. Appreciating learning

    4. Rewarding learning outcomes

    There are two types of mindset as one says in an affirmative tone & the other says in negative tone. ( Sudhanshu Bhushan -Restructuring Higher Education in India,  Rawat Publications, 2009). As a result challenges & new opportunities are viewed through the lens of openly pushing towards achievement.

    PHASES OF MIND SET FRAMING – students in a campus are required to resolve towards making a positive mindset in phases.

    1. Resolving to set the mind towards a goal

    2. Setting an academic goal

    3. Visualizing the goal already set

    4. Recognition of the impact of goal on self & society

    5. Self rewarding after a successful finish

    6. Gearing up for another goal

    CHARACTERISTICS FOR POSITIVE MINDSETTING-

    Students are always reluctant to go for creative work because they fear making mistakes. When they experience a setback they wish to go back on their decisions.(Report On The Education For Values in Schools-A frame work– Department of Educational Psychology New Delhi 2011).They blame themselves , they blame their parents , society, teachers, friends etc for their failure. To change this negative mindset into a positive frame of mind there are certain characteristics. One needs to be a

    1. visionary

    2. courageous

    3. collaborative

    4. determined

    5. reflective

    PROSPECTIVE STRATEGIES

    1. PROVIDING ASSIGNMENTS- Assigning innovative projects to students with multiple projections where students are made to gain knowledge of several skills. Even though they fail initially in their attempts, it gives chances of embracing the power of failure which is very much necessary to have a determined mindset. Students can be given day long / week long /month long assignments to improve their mind set pattern.Projects which support critical thinking by putting aside pessimistic thoughts assist in bringing about affirmative results

    2. FACILITATING PEER RECOGNITION –Peers can help students to have a positive mindset through making the student feel that he is as powerful as anybody in his mind set. This can be achieved through student counseling centers. Here counselors prepare them to stay focused towards life . The students will be motivated with a positive mindset through a series of sittings. By facilitating peer recognition their mindset can be made to resolve towards a goal setting & goal accomplishment. Students should be made to experience peer recognition as a reward after finishing asset goal which influences the student mind positively.

    3. BUILDING A COLLABORATIVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT -Through building a collaborative learning environment inside the campus students can be made to learn about each other’s positive & negative approaches towards life.

    4. ENHANCING INSTITUTIONAL ABILITY -Enhancing Institutional ability to get & receive feedback on student campus behavior can prove a successful weapon. Students can be made to engage in reflective conversation by the institution which helps them in outpouring their vulnerable experiences & this can be used to frame campus guidelines involving both genders. A meticulously planned course of action linking them to respect each other ,value their identity , assess their role in a campus can be framed .

    5. INVOLVING COMMUNITY- Students gain knowledge of deep learning observation synthesizing information collaboration of facts they become active .Whatever information they gather in the college they will project in the community as well. This empowers the deeper understanding of community problems & the students are convinced of their community problems .By sharing an example / or a story or a real life incident student can be made to share their experiences before the peer .It motivates the students to take risks & helps in self evaluation besides it encourages them to do the same in the family setting or community setting. It helps in creating a culture of creativity & innovation As this is practical they learn to visualize & comprehend gender issues in a positive tone.

    BENEFITS OF POSITIVE MINDSET

    1. Students with a positive viewpoint have less academic stress hence their learning outcomes are superior

    2. Students with a positive viewpoint have better creative & problem-solving skills which assist them in molding their individuality in times of tension & need.

    3. Students with a positive viewpoint have better health outcomes than less optimistic students as it gives motivation to combat the harder situations easily.

    4. Students with a positive viewpoint become optimistic learners . They have faith in hard work of learning, because they are motivated by the belief that they can accomplish their learning goals with ease combined with hard work.

    5. Students with a positive viewpoint have greater resistance to depression and the negative effects of academic stress. (Chenicheri Sid Nair,(Ed) –Leadership & Management of Equality In higher Education 2013) .

    6. Students with a positive viewpoint have probability of successful academic outcomes. Emphasizing positive emotions helps students become more resilient and more likely to persevere with learning tasks.Their persistence is fueled by the belief that they will triumph over difficulty, learn from their mistakes, overcome plateaus in their performance, and progress (Wilson, D. L., & Conyers, M. A. (2011).Brain SMART: 60 strategies for Increasing Student Learning. Orlando) . successful, well-intentioned and high-performing faculty students should imagine new possibilities.

    7. Students have to be geared up to realize that growth, change, and progress all take patience and hard work. We can add the idea of resiliency into this mix, because struggle and outright failure are integral parts of these processes. ( Chenicheri Sid Nair, (Ed) –Leadership & Management of Equality In higher Education 2013 ).

    PROJECTED PRECAUTIONS-

    1. Enlightening the students that they should be humble enough to accept that there are things about themselves and their daily practices can be improved through a shift in viewpoint.

    2. Enlightening the students to become a part of core teams that value constructive critique instead of negative criticism. Because students especially the girls are vulnerable to negative criticism easily. They fall prey to condemnation & denigration & their academic outcomes are affected.

    3. Enlightening the students to treat setbacks as formative struggles within the learning process instead of summative failures.

    4. Enlightening the students to realize the restrictive role that timelines can play in reaching high standards

    5. Enlightening the students to understand the issues using foundational philosophies 

    6. Enlightening the students to create flexible friendship group that supports them at all times.

    CONCLUSION

    Thus the mindset of the students can be affirmatively altered by infusing a positive mindset frame. Making students to identify the relevance of their education is very much needed today. Through making a mindset change we can achieve accomplished goals of attaining campus sustainability & gender equity. Students can work wonders if motivated in a right way & as Roosevelt said no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Students can be made to cultivate a creative culture which can contribute to their community empowerment as well. Students can buildup good self identity through en arming themselves with a positive mindset. They will learn to use the power of a smile to reverse the tone of a situation only when they know the imperative implications of gender equity .Besides it helps them to understand relationships between genders which is very essential in these days of gender discrimination.

    REFERENCES

    1. Chenicheri Sid Nair, Len Webster, Patricie Mertova,(Ed) –Leadership & Management of Equality In higher Education 2013

    2. David H. - Growth Mindset -A Driving Philosophy not just a tool - Edutopia 2014

    3. Report On The Education For Values In Schools - A frame work – Department of Educational Psychology New Delhi 2011

    4. Sudhanshu Bhushan -Restructuring Higher Education in India,  Rawat Publications, 2009

    5. Susan Sullivan- Supervision That Improves Teaching & Learning - Journal Of Teacher Education, Vol. 56, No. 4, September-October 2005 

     

    GENDER ISSUES, CHILD DEVELOPEMNT & COMMUNITY EMPOWEREMNT


    Dr. PUTTARAJU .K.

    Lecturer in History, Sir M V Post Graduate Centre, Tubinakere, Mandya District, Karnataka -571426


    ABSTRACT

    Child abuse & atrocities are on a high these days in India & even across the world children are in danger. Community involvement in controlling or preventing this violence against children is to be prioritized & hence child welfare is vey imperative to community empowerment. But today children have become easy target for atrocities especially girl child in India has been an object of several astonishing violence. The birth of girl child is being considered an annoyance. Several atrocious & appalling & inexcusable crimes are reported against girl child. The very specie is in danger& on the brink of extinct. The current Indian societal scenario has been condemned by whole world over the intensifying atrocities on women. But today the scene has been changed beyond repair. This paper spotlights the significance of child welfare & steps towards providing children their share of good childhood. This paper addresses the conceptions ruling child welfare protection issues. Imperative policies of the Government towards ensuring that children obtain their equitable position in society is highlighted here.

    Keywords- Gender Issues, Child Protection, Policy Imperatives, Child welfare concepts


    “Gender equality is critical to the development and peace of every nation"

    – Kofi Annan


    INTRODUCTION

    All children have the right to be protected from violence, exploitation and abuse. Yet, millions of children worldwide from all socio-economic backgrounds, across all ages, religions and cultures suffer violence, exploitation and abuse every day. Millions more are at risk. Violence, exploitation and abuse are often practiced by someone known to the child, including parents, other family members, caretakers, teachers, employers, law enforcement authorities, state and non-state actors and other children. Only a small proportion of acts of violence, exploitation and abuse are reported and investigated, and few perpetrators are held accountable. There is significant evidence that violence, exploitation and abuse can affect the child’s physical and mental health in the short and longer term, impairing their ability to learn and socialize, and impacting their transition to adulthood with adverse consequences later in life.

    CHILD ISSUES IN INDIA

    1. Child labor

    2. Child Marriage

    3. Child Trafficking

    4. Child Abuses

    5. Child Exploitation

    6. Child Discrimination

    7. Orphan children

    8. Children with disabilities

    9. Gender based violence

    10. Child Beggary

    11. Child Prostitution

    12. Children in dangerous employment like mining

    13. Children during natural calamities

    14. Child Sexual violence


    LEGISLATIVE INITIATIVES

    Indian government has taken child welfare as a community issue & has supported with following Legislative reforms. Legislative reform which transfers real authority over children and families to Indigenous communities is widely considered to be important to the long-term empowerment of Indigenous peoples in the area of children's wellbeing. The legislative models reviewed range from the transfer of legislative, judicial and administrative functions to Indigenous communities to those which retain all of these functions within the mainstream child welfare system.

    THE NATIONAL POLICY FOR CHILDREN

    The National Policy for children lays down that the State shall provide adequate services towards children, both before and after birth and during the growing stages for their full physical, mental and social development.  The measures suggested include amongst others, a comprehensive health programme, supplementary nutrition for mothers and children, free and compulsory education for all children up to the age of 14 years, promotion of physical education and recreational activities, special consideration for children of weaker sections including SCs and STs and prevention of exploitation of children, etc.

    NATIONAL CHARTER FOR CHILDREN

    The Government of India has also adopted the National Charter for Children, which has been prepared after obtaining the views/comments and suggestions of the State governments/UT Administrations, concerned Ministries and Departments and experts in the field.  The National Charter is a statement of intent embodying the Government’s agenda for children.  The document emphasizes Government of India’s commitment to children’s rights to survival, health and nutrition, standard of living, play and leisure, early childhood care, education, protection or the girl child, empowering adolescents, equality, life and liberty, name and nationality, freedom of expression, freedom of association and peaceful assembly, the right to a family and the right to be protected from economic exploitation and all forms of abuse.  The document also provides for protection of children in difficult circumstances, children with disabilities, children from marginalized and disadvantaged communities, and child victims. 

    The document while stipulating the duties of the State and the Community towards children also emphasizes the duties of children towards family, society and the Nation. 

    UN CONVENTION ON THE RIGHTS OF THE CHILD 

    India has also acceded to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child to reiterate its commitment to the cause of children.  The objective of the Convention is to give every child the right to survival and development in a healthy and congenial environment. (Report of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare -2013 Press Information Bureau, Government of India Publication).

    NATIONAL CHARTER FOR CHILDREN

    India is also party to the Millennium Development Goals and the SAARC Conventions on Child Welfare and Combating Trafficking of Women and Children is SAARC Region.

    NATIONAL PLAN OF ACTION FOR CHILDREN -2005

    Ministry of Women and Child Development has prepared a National Plan of Action for Children2005 after harmonizing the goals for children set in the UN General Assembly Special Session on Children held in 2002 and the monitorable targets set in the Tenth Five Year Plan and goals for children in related Ministries/ Departments. ( Report of the Ministry of health & family welfare -2007 press information bureau government of India publication)

    GOVERNMENTAL INITIATIVES – Government of India has taken several measures to ameliorate the status of children through child welfare measures .

    1. Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS)

    2. Play home Scheme for the children of working mothers

    3. Nutrition component of Prime Minister Gramodya Yojana and Nutrition Programme for Adolescent Girls

    4. Reproductive and Child Health Programme

    5. Pulse Polio Immunization Programme

    6. Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan

    7. A National Programme for education of girls at elementary level

    8. Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya  for girls

    9. Mid-day meal Scheme

    10. Integrated programme for Street Children

    11. Integrated Programme for Juvenile Justice

    12. Child helpline child helpline is a toll free telephone service (1098) 

    13. The National Rural Health Mission

    14. Elimination of Child Labour 

    15. Prevention of Offences against Children

    16. Child Budgeting

    17. Pilot projects for combating trafficking of women and children

    PROSPECTIVE CHILD WELFARE MEASURES

    1. Child welfare should be a community responsive issue should not be linked as an individual issue

    2. Community based grassroots approach should be scheduled

    3. Comprehensive neighborhood based child welfare support & services

    4. Family network should be established for Child welfare

    5. There should be collaborative Child welfare activities between government & NGOs

    6. Informal resources should be used towards Child welfare

    7. Broader CW activities based on inclusive & empowerment strategies should be planned

    8. Culturally competent efficient delivery by employing indigenous personnel in support systems such as health education sanitation etc

    9. Service delivery frame work for Child welfare

    10. Community involvement in Child welfare should be a holistic approach

    11. Services providers should have autonomy & flexibility in providing Child welfare

    12. Home need based family tradition maintenance will also help community in supporting Child welfare activities

    13. A rapid expansion and improvement of government health services across the country is urgently needed to redress low and inequitable coverage.

    14. Rejuvenation of the Community-based Health Planning and Services strategy should form the backbone of the expansion plan and the foundation of an effective referral system.

    15. At the same time identified gaps in secondary and tertiary facilities, particularly district hospitals should be filled.

    16. Priority should be placed on scaling up and strengthening governmental intervention in CW policies

    CONCLUSION

    Thus as Kofi Annan opines when women thrive, all of society benefits, and succeeding generations are given a better start in life gender disparities should be eliminated through imperative policy matters.   Thus child welfare is an imperative issues which calls for arranging for legislative models for CW services to local communities is the need of the hour. Resurgence in demanding greater family welfare measures through policy promotion is being demanded today. Mainstream legislation involving total family welfare should be prioritized. stipulating the duties of the State and the Community towards children also emphasizes the duties of children towards family, society and the Nation.

    REFERENCES-

    1. Kapur M, Mukundan H. -Child care in ancient India from the perspective of developmental psychology and pediatrics. 1st ed. New Delhi: Sri Satguru Publications; 2002.

    2. Nirupama Laroia1 & Deeksha Sharma-The Religious & Cultural bases for breastfeeding practices among the Hindus- Breastfeeding Medicine volume 1, Number 2, 2006 Mary Ann Libber.

    3. Prabhata vivek & Satyvrat- Indian mental concepts on children and adolescents Indian Journal of Psychiatry. Jan 2013; 55(Suppl 2):

    4. Report of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare -2007 Press Information Bureau, Government Of India Publication

     

    IMPACT OF ENTERPISE RESOURCE PLANNING (ERP) ON HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT (HRM)

     

    MehrabZarei*, Dr.B.Nagaraju** & Mojtaba Sadeghi Moghadam***

    *Dos in Commerce, UOM, Mysore.

    **, Associate Professor, Dept. of Commerce, UOM, Mysore

    ***, Dos in Law, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, UP.

     

     

    ABSTRACT

    Issues related to enterprise resource planning (ERP) and human resource management (HRM) have been the subject of growing debate across an increasingly wide range of disciplines in social sciences and business and management studies. ERP Systems create effective organizations but measurement of this is complicated. It drives the modern Human resource management in the Organizations. ERP helped in making Human resource Management processes simpler, smarter and efficient with quick availability of decision making data. In this paper we will analyse the impact of ERP on the various aspects of Human Resource Management and how these functions can be made perform better with the ERP.

    Keywords: ERP, HRM, Organization.


    INTRODUCTION

    Businesses are focusing to provide goods and services within a shortest possible time. Therefore they by focus to implement different business applications having consistent and accurate data across units and ERP helps through ‘common language’. Enterprise Planning system is complex as well as most demanding for the businesses. Human Resource Management practices have strongly influence by this ERP system. If there is high level of system use, then it means that system is also linked with human resource management functions including merit based performances, hiring, selection, trainings etc.

    Advantages of ERP to Business Activities

    Emphasizing advantages and merits of ERP to business activities, O'Leary (2000) indicated that the value creation is attained by the following capabilities:

    ERP integrates firm activities: - Enterprise resource planning processes are cross-functional, forcing the firm out of traditional, functional, and locational silos. In addition, an organization's different business processes are often integrated with each other. Further, data that were formerly resident on different heterogeneous systems are now integrated into a single system.

    ERPs employ use of "best practices:-" Enterprise resource planning systems have integrated within them a thousand best practice business processes. Those best practices can be used to improve the way that firms do business. Choice and implementation of an ERP require implementation of such best practices. ERP enables organizational standardization:- Enterprise resource planning systems permit organizational standardization across different locations. As a result locations with substandard processes can be brought the firm can show a single image to the outside world. Rather than receiving different documents when a firm deals with different branches or plants, a single common view can be presented to the world, one that puts forth the best image.

    ERP provides online and real-time information:- In legacy systems, much information is captured on paper and then passed to another part of the organization, where it is either repackaged (typically aggregated) or put into an electronic format. With ERP systems, information is gathered at the source and placed directly into the system. As a result, information is available online to others and in real time.

    ERP allows simultaneous access to the same data for planning and control:- Enterprise resource planning uses a single database, where most information is entered once and only once. Since the data is available online and in real time, virtually all organizational users have access to the same information for planning and control purposes. This can facilitate more consistent planning and control, in contrast to legacy systems.

    ERP facilitates intra-organization communication and collaboration:- Enterprise resource planning also facilitates intraorganizational (between different functions and locations) communication and collaboration. The existence of interlocking processes brings functions and locations into communication and forces collaboration. The standardization of processes also facilitates collaboration because there are fewer conflicts between the processes. Furthermore, the single database facilitates communication by providing each location and function with the information they need.

    ERP facilitates inter-organization communication and collaboration:- The ERP system provides the information backbone for communication and collaboration with other organizations. Increasingly, firms are opening up their databases to partners to facilitate procurement and other functions. In order for such an arrangement to work, there needs to be a single repository to which partners can go; ERP can be used to facilitate such exchanges. In general, ERP has following advantages.

    ERP and HRM

    In today‘s world of Globalization, it‘s knowledge, commitment, skills, and training that provides the competitive advantage for world class companies like Microsoft, IBM etc. And it‘s HR‘s job to build that competitive advantage. That means an upgrading of HR‘s traditional role. In early 1900‘s HRM functions used to entail hiring and firing of employees, payment of salaries and administering the benefit plans. The function consisted largely of ensuring that procedures were followed. Today HRM function is shifting from protector and screener to strategic partner and change agent. HRM as a strategic business partner function has major challenges, especially in companies with multiple business units where HRM processes may not have a unified, simple method for tracking employees' time and communicating with them about benefits and services, managing recruitments centrally and co-ordinating training programs organization wide. Lack of centrally driven performance management system and talent management.

    ERP can fix all these issues by providing a centrally managed system with defined processes and procedures for various HRM functions. All the functions are defined inline to the best industry practices and procedures. HRM module of ERP covers the Definition of Organization Structures, Locations, Business Group, Organizations, Organization hierarchies, Security Profiles, Master data management, Payroll processing and legal reporting, Performance and talent management, Recruitment etc. All these automated procedures helps in better driving the HRM functions and activities.

    ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE MANAGEMENT

    One of the most important functions of HRM is Management of organizational structure in the form of Organizational chart. ERP facilitates the Management of organizational structure specific to a time period with the flexibility to analyse and change. It enables real time changes in the organizational structure through its integration with various employee related aspects like transfer and promotions. It enables view of entire organization in one shot and can project a picture of entire organizational structure in line with the future planning.

    PERSONNEL ADMINISTRATION AND MASTER DATA MANAGEMENT

    ERP facilitated the management of master data and personnel administration by providing simple data entry windows and tight procedure with integrated approach which enforces real time updating of data. ERP also facilitates faster reporting and master data analytics making processes simpler and decisions faster. With ERP the employee file can be created in the soft copy format with scanned copy of all the documents.

    TIME MANAGEMENT AND LEAVE ADMINISTRATION

    ERP helps in making the Time management and leave administration simple and easily manageable. Time Management system in ERP provides with a flexible means of setting up, recording and evaluating working times.

    WORKFORCE PROFILE

    With the implementation of ERP systems for HRM the data updating is made real time and at common location which ensures easy retrieval and processing of the data, Users can view the entire organization by time periods and can select a divisional, departmental, or workgroup view within the organizational hierarchy. With the tight integration between the workforce profile subject area, with its dashboards and metrics, and the underlying HR system of record, managers can get various trends and support for decision making into hiring the right type of candidates, prevention of attrition, manpower planning etc. Managers can get a prediction on trends of attrition like which levels have more attrition, which age group, gender, experience level age, education family profile people have shown trends of attrition and which all are the employees having many of the similar characteristics and hence are more prone to leave the organization. Based on this various measures can be taken to identify and retain the employees in the organization.

    COMPENSATION MANAGEMENT AND SALARY ADMINISTRATION

    Compensation Management in ERP covers a range of functions associated with salary and compensation administration:

    • Storing and reporting on job evaluation and salary survey results.

    • Participating in online salary surveys.

    • Planning compensation budgets and monitoring actual costs against budgeted costs.

    • Setting up compensation programs, such as Annual Salary review, Stock Option Program, that mirror.

    • Compensation policies.

    • Administering these programs so that employees receive compensation in line with company policy.

    • Administering and handling long-term incentives.

    • Projecting future personnel costs and simulating, what if scenarios.

    CONCLUSION

    A majority of contractor organizations have some “know-how” about the ERP systems and they think that the implementation of ERP systems could benefit their organizations by providing better integration of working environment, more automation and more flexibility in operations and information access.

    ERP is a set of best practices for performing different duties in corporate organizations, including finance, human resource development, manufacturing and the warehouse. To address the uncertainties of economic and political conditions, business leaders must be able to constantly grow in terms of efficiency and efficacy. Human resource being a strategic partner in the overall growth and success of Organization needs to consistently outperform on all aspects. ERP system helps in better driving the Human resource management processes thereby contributing to the overall success of the organization.

    References

    • Al-Mashari, M, 2002,”Enterprise Resource Planning Systems: a research agenda”, Industrial Management &Data Systems, vol 102, No 3, pp165-170

    • Cameron, K.S., & Quinn, R.E. 1999 “Diagnosing and Changing Organizational Culture”, Addison Wesley, Reading, MA Stephen P. Robbins, 1983, Organization Theory: The Structure and Design of Organizations, Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0136419100

    • Campbell, J.P, 1977, "On the Nature of Organizational Effectiveness," InP.S. Goodman & J.M. Pennings ,New Perspectives on Organizational Effectiveness Jossey Bass, San Francisco, CA.

    • C.G. Ash, J.M. Burn, 2003, A strategic framework for the management of ERP enabled E-business change, European Journal of Operational Research, vol 146, pp 374-387 \

    • Cliffe, S. (1999). ERP implementation. Harvard Business Review, 77 (1), pp. 16–17.

    • Davis, B., Wilder, C., (1998). False starts, strong finishes–companies are saving troubled IT projects by admitting their mistakes, stepping back, scaling back, and moving on. Information Week, 30 (November), pp. 41–43.

    • O'Leary, D (2000): Enterprise Resource Planning Systems: Systems, Life Cycle,Electronic Commerce, and Risk. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2000. P. 7.

     

    GENDER BUDGETING & COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IN INDIA


    Dr. VIDYA .H. N

    HOD & Associate professor in History, Government Arts College, Hassan -573201


    ABSTRACT

    This paper looks at the issues connected with gender budgeting in India. Gender budgeting is become a necessary in evolving the women empowerment & welfare measures. The gender budgeting is gaining importance these days because the rights of the women are at stake. Women are facing multi faceted atrocities & their very existence has become vulnerable. There are several issues connected with gender budgeting & this paper spotlights the issues & addresses several key issues linked to gender budgeting in India. This paper evolves some prospective imperatives for creating awareness among communities towards this issue. This issue can assist in framing an integrated strategy towards gender budgeting. The communities can demand policy makers to frame rules only when they understand & identify the conceptions of gender budgeting. This will naturally streamline community empowerment.

    Keywords : Gender Budgeting, community empowerment , expanding benefits, governmental policies, community Development


    Gender budgeting & its mainstreaming is gaining importance as it strives to ensure the benefit of developmental measures taken by the government to reach all sections of women.( Klasen (2006), UNDP's gender‐related measures: some conceptual problems and possible solutions) . It is not an accounting exercise but an ongoing process of keeping a gender perspective in policy/ programme formulation, its implementation and review. ( Klasen (2006), UNDP's gender‐related measures: some conceptual problems and possible solutions).

    THE CONCEPT OF GENDER BUDGETING

    It means acknowledging the gender responsive allocation of budget with identifying gender patterns implementing policies & plans for gender filling gender gaps in society .Gender Budgeting is a powerful tool for achieving gender mainstreaming so as to ensure that benefits of development reach women as much as men. It is not an accounting exercise but an ongoing process of keeping a gender perspective in policy/ programme formulation, its implementation and review. GB entails dissection of the Government budgets to establish its gender differential impacts and to ensure that gender commitments are translated in to budgetary commitments. Thus it is an initiative whereby the overall policy framework and set of tools are designed to assist the government in bringing gender perspective while planning for the nation's public expenditure.( Bhattacharya (2013), Gender inequality and the sex ratio in three emerging economies).

    The rationale for gender budgeting arises from recognition of the fact that national budgets impact men and women differently through the pattern of resource allocation. Women, constitute 48% of India’s population, but they lag behind men on many social indicators like health, education, economic opportunities, etc. Hence, they warrant special attention due to their vulnerability and lack of access to resources. The way Government budgets allocate resources, has the potential to transform these gender inequalities. In view of this, Gender Budgeting, as a tool for achieving gender mainstreaming, has been propagated.

    ROLE OF GOVERNMENT

    Government budgets allocate resources, has the potential to transform these gender inequalities.( The Final Population - 2011 Census of India, Ministry of Home Affairs). In view of this, Gender Budgeting has been adopted by the Government of India as a tool for achieving gender mainstreaming. Both central & state government allocate money through budgets.( The Final Population - 2011 Census of India, Ministry of Home Affairs).

    Though Planning Commission  has always focused on women-related issues & various five year plans which started right from the very first plan and has continued to the 12th five-year plan. However, up until the year 2004, this process of gender budgeting was more reactive than proactive. (Bhattacharya (2013), Gender inequality and the sex ratio in three emerging economies).

    The scenario largely changed after 2004 due to constant lobbying by the economists and women's groups which compelled the Ministry of Finance to authorise all the ministries to establish a Gender Budgeting Cell. ( Larsen, Mattias, ed. Vulnerable Daughters in India: Culture, Development and Changing Contexts).Even departments were asked to present annual reports and performance budgets highlighting the budgetary allocations for women. (Bhattacharya (2013), Gender inequality and the sex ratio in three emerging economies).

    Gender budgeting entails dissection of the Government budgets to establish its gender differential impacts and to ensure that gender commitments are translated in to budgetary commitments.( The report of the ministry of women & child development 2013-14).The rationale for gender budgeting arises from recognition of the fact that national budgets impact men and women differently through the pattern of resource allocation. (The report of the ministry of women & child development 2013-14).Women, constitute 48% of India’s population, but they lag behind men on many social indicators like health, education, economic opportunities, etc. ( Bhattacharya (2013), Gender inequality and the sex ratio in three emerging economies).Hence, they warrant special attention due to their vulnerability and lack of access to resources. (The report of the ministry of women & child development 2013-14).The way Government budgets allocate resources, has the potential to transform these gender inequalities. In view of this, Gender Budgeting, as a tool for achieving gender mainstreaming, has been propagated.( Robeyns (2003), Sen's capability approach and gender inequality: selecting relevant capabilities).

    1. Effective implementation of Pre Conception and Pre Natal Diagnostics Techniques (PCPNDT) Act.

    2. Implementation of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.

    3. Fiscal allocation must be made for the salary of anganwadi & balawadi teachers and helpers in schools.

    4. Improvement of retention rate of girls in the school.

    5. Improvement in budgetary allocation for the Public Distribution System (PDS) to fortify the provision of good quality food grains.

    6. Improvement in funds for protection and rehabilitation of child workers.

    7. Social security and social protection for women in the informal sector and Small Scale Industries.

    8. Training Institutes to provide women with more skills development in non-conventional areas.

    9. Access to information, finance, training and marketing for women entrepreneurs, SHGs, vendors and self-employed women.

    10. Night shelters with toilets and baths for homeless women and girls.

    11. Community based half way homes, working women's hostels and multi-purpose activity centers to meet a variety of needs of women and girls.

    12. Support in the area of education, health; housing and skill development must be provided to women-headed households.

    13. Protection of interests of women in difficult circumstances such as child prostitutes, homeless women, street girls, abducted girls, child brides, women suffering from HIV/AIDS, single women and elderly women.

    14. Safe transport like women special buses and local trains.

    15. Well-maintained public toilets for women.

    PROSPECTIVE ISSUES

    1. All union territories & states should adopt gender budgeting initiatives uniformly.(The report of the ministry of women & child development 2013-14).

    2. Regional workshops should be held to create awareness on gender budgeting initiatives

    3. Ministry of women & child development should be strengthened towards gender budgeting initiatives

    4. Capacity building towards gender budgeting initiatives is required

    5. Empanelment of resource persons for creating awareness on gender budgeting initiatives is required

    6. Regular evaluation of the gender budgeting schemes should be undertaken

    7. Review meetings should be held on gender budgeting scheme implementation

    8. General grant in aid schemes about gender budgeting should be evaluated periodically

    9. It should evolve concepts for provision in substantive equality

    10. The stark reality of gender based discrimination should be avoided

    11. Family counseling center schemes should be strengthened in rural areas ( Robeyns (2003), Sen's capability approach and gender inequality: selecting relevant capabilities).

    The Steering Committee on Women's Agency and Empowerment for the 12th Plan had suggested several important intrusions to address the gender-based disadvantages experienced by girls as well as young and elderly women. Various women's groups and economists have been demanding that the government review the format of the Gender Budgeting but hardly any progress has been made in this direction. ( Larsen, Mattias, ed. Vulnerable Daughters in India: Culture, Development and Changing Contexts).There are long overdue demands of various women's groups and economists with respect to budgetary allocation for various activities directed towards women empowerment. ( Larsen, Mattias, ed. Vulnerable Daughters in India: Culture, Development and Changing Contexts).

    CONCLUSION-

    Thus gender budgeting initiatives of the government should be strengthened to reach all women & should be made to reach all irrespective of geographical boundaries. It should become a multi sectoral programme. consideration of strategies to integrate this approach through a holistic rights based approach that links substantive equality to realization of other human rights of women in personal security, and socio-economic rights needs consideration . The stress on accelerating formal equality with broader concepts that can channelize development planning, law reform, budgetary allocation and policy measures, and can contribute more to better implementation, and gender justice are required. These initiatives will assist in outlining strategies towards gender issues & community can naturally wake up to the demands of gender equity & gender access. The community can also pressurize the government to frame policies towards gaining access to gender issues & benefits of these initiatives can be extended to all sections of community. The women rights will also be safeguarded.

    REFERENCES

    1. Arora (2012), Gender inequality, economic development, and globalization: A state level analysis of India, The Journal of Developing Areas, 46(1): 147-164

    2. Babu & Babu (2011), Dowry deaths: a neglected public health issue in India, Int. Health, 3 (1): 35-43

    3. Bhattacharya (2013), Gender inequality and the sex ratio in three emerging economies, Progress in Development Studies, 13(2): 117-133,

    4. The Final Population - 2011 Census of India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India (2013)

    5. Kingdon, Geeta Gandhi. "The progress of school education in India." Oxford Review of Economic Policy 23.2 (2007)

    6. Klasen (2006), UNDP's genderrelated measures: some conceptual problems and possible solutions, Journal of Human Development, 7(2), 243-274

    7. Larsen, Mattias, ed. Vulnerable Daughters in India: Culture, Development and Changing Contexts. Routledge, 2011 

    8. The report of the ministry of women & child development 2013-14

    9. Robeyns (2003), Sen's capability approach and gender inequality: selecting relevant capabilities, Feminist economics, 9(2-3), 61-92

    10. Sekher and Hatti, 2007 Unwanted Daughters: Gender discrimination in modern india pp. 3-4.

    11. Srinivasan, Padma, and Gary R. Lee. "The dowry system in Northern India: Women's attitudes and social change." Journal of Marriage and Family 66.5 (2004): 

     

    A STUDY OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT PRACTICES IN ORGANIZED RETAILING WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO SELECT RETAILERS


    Dr. A. D. Dubey

    Assistant Professor, Department of MBA, The Oxford College of Engineering Bommanahalli Bangalore, India


    ABSTRACT

    Retailing displayed its significance in India’s market with tremendous contribution to the Indian economy. The development in the organized retail sector has showed the perfect platform to the Indian companies to enter into this sector. The entry of global players in retailing business has created huge challenges to the Indian companies. The organized retailer’s in order to respond to the competition, started to realize the need for efficient man power. The HR practices and the employee satisfaction became the primary concern for the organized retailers. The present study will provide a clear picture on the issues related to the HR practices and its impact on employees. The study will also focus on the various problems and challenges faced by the HR department in procuring and retaining the employees of organized retailing companies.

    Keywords: HRM, special tellers, GDP, attrition.


    INTRODUCTION

    Human resource management (HRM) practices are most effective when matched with strategic goals of organizations. HRMs role in the company’s success is growing rapidly with the growth in many sectors in the present globalized era. HRM is a vital function in organizations and becoming more important than ever. The HRM practices are crucial in designing the structure for man power, staffing, performance appraisal, compensation, and training and development. HRM practices are a primary means for defining, communicating and rewarding desired role behaviours and desired role behaviours are a function of organizational characteristics. Innovative HRM practices can play a crucial role in changing the attitude of the companies and its employees in order to facilitate the entry and growth in the markets. The HRM practices in service sector especially in the area of retailing have found significant importance in the present scenario. The retailing is one of the service sectors where the need of qualitative human resources is highly expected.

    Retailing is an important element of business around the globe. Retailing consists of all activities that result in the offering for sale of merchandise to consumers for their own use. Retailing is the final step in bringing goods to consumer. They sell both goods and services. Retailing is the process of “Sale of goods or merchandise, from a fixed location such as a departmental store or kiosk, in small or individual lots for direct consumption by the purchaser. Retailing may include services, such as product delivery. Buyers may be individuals‟ or businesses; a retailer buys goods or products in large quantities from manufacturers or importers, either directly or through a wholesaler, and then sells in smaller quantities or lots to the end – users or consumers. Retailers are the end links of the supply chain as an important part of manufacturing/marketer overall distribution strategy.

    OVERVIEW OF INDIAN RETAIL INDUSTRY

    Retailing is one of the pillars of economy because of its 13% contribution to GDP. Though the Indian retail sector is dominated by unorganized sector with 90% share, it is providing immense opportunities for large scale retailers to set-up their operations. The organized retailing sector is steadily increasing with the entry and operations of departmental stores, hyper markets, supermarkets and specialty stores which are replacing the traditional formats dramatically altering the retailing landscape in India. India is the third most attractive retail market for global retailers among the 30 largest emerging markets, according to US consulting group AT Kearney’s report published in June, 2010. The total retail sales in India will grow from US $ 395.96 billion in 2011 to US $ 786.12 billion by 2015, according to the BMI India Retail report from the third quarter of 2011. Robust economic growth, high disposable income with the expansion in middle and upper class consumer because, the report identifies potential in India’s tier-II and tier-III cities as well. The greater availability of personal credit and a growing vehicle population providing improved mobility also contribute to a trend towards annual retail sales growth of 12.2 percent. An increasing number of people in India are turning to the services sector for employment due to the relative low compensation offered by the traditional agriculture and manufacturing sectors. The organized retail market is growing at 35 percent annually while growth of unorganized retail sector is pegged at 6 percent.

    Though the retailing sector is growing rapidly, some of the constrains are restricting its growth. Apart from the regulations and approval for Foreign Direct Investments (FDIs), the sector is strongly lacking the effective human resource practices. The problems of lack of trained work force, low skill level for retailing management, lack of development programmers to the existing human resources and problems in retaining qualitative manpower are some of the obstacles creating huge challenges to the Indian retail sector. At present, to overcome some of the challenges faced by retail, the companies are investing heavily in training and recruitment of qualitative work force.

    STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM

    In the present competitive scenario, the role of retailing is increasing rapidly with the entry of global players. Many Indian companies strongly keeping their aim on entering in retail industry. With increasing globalization, firms are entering a dynamic world of international business that is marked by liberalization of economic policies in a large number of emerging economies like India. To face the challenge of increasing competition that has resulted from liberalization, Indian organizations have initiated adoption of innovative human resource management practices both critically and constructively to foster creativity and innovation among employees. The huge opportunities in organized retailing encouraging the companies to enter in retail industry. The last 2 decades has witnessed the tremendous potential for organized retailing. The growing needs of retail industry can be matched up with the aggressive human resource practices. The present retail organizations which are performing organized retailing are facing huge challenges in procuring and retaining and maintaining qualitative human resources. Hence, an attempt was made to analyze the various human resource practices followed in select retailers in organized retailing.

    RESEARCH OBJECTIVES

    The major objective of this study is to study the human resource management practices pursued in the organized retailing. The study covers the retailer wise employee satisfaction on the various HRM practices employed in the retail outlets.

    RESEARCH METHODOLOGY

    The present research paper is an empirical one. The survey for the present research is conducted through primary data with the help of a questionnaire surveyed to employees of select organized retailers. The sample taken for the study consisted of 300 which include daily wage workers and employees from the select retail outlets situated in Gorakhpur District.

    ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION

    The research survey is conducted in order to analyze the various Human Resource Management (HRM) practices adopted in the select organized retailers. For the purpose of studying the HR practices implemented and to evaluate, the following organized retailers are selected.

    ORGANIZED RETAILERS SELECTED FOR THE STUDY

    S. No.

    Name of the Organized Retailer

    Company Name

    Places

    District

    Sample Size (%)

    1

    V-Mart

    V-Mart Retail Pvt. Ltd

    Bank Road

    Gorakhpur

    40

    2

    Spencer’s

    Spencer’s Retail Ltd

    Civil Lines

    Gorakhpur

    25

    3

    Q-Shop

    Shara India Parivar

    Jatashankar Chauraha

    Gorakhpur

    10

    4

    Reliance Trends

    Relince Industries Limited

    Bank Road

    Gorakhpur

    25

     

    Total

     

     

     

    100

    Source: Primary Data

    Overall, 4 organized retailing units are selected for the study. Reliance Fresh outlets are being more in number; hence, 3 retailing units are selected for the study. And the 3 other retailing units were selected for the study include Spencer’s, More, and Reliance Super. The samples selected from the retail outlets include the sales persons, supporting staff, teller employees and the executive and managerial level employees.

    EMPHASIS ON EMPLOYEES SHARE ON DIFFERENT ASPECTS

    Name Of The Retailer

    Share Of Part Timers

    Specialty Tellers

    Typical New Hire

    Extra Selection Test

    Incentive Based Pay

    Hots For Orientation Period

    % In Employee Involvement

    Spencer’s

    NA

    18%

    Graduate

    No

    Yes

    12

    61-80%

    V-Mart

    20%

    10%

    Graduate

    No

    Yes

    10

    21-40%

    Q-Shop

    12%

    16%

    Graduate

    No

    Yes

    10

    21-40%

    Reliance Trends

    22%

    26%

    Graduate

    Yes

    Yes

    18

    41-60%

    Source: Primary Data


    NOTE

    • Share of part-timers refers to the percentage of employees work fewer than 5 hours a week.

    • Specialty tellers refers to the percentage of tellers that perform only a subset of teller tasks during a typical shift

    • Typical new hire gives the highest education level of the typical new employee

    • Extra selection test refers to the use of additional selection procedures beyond background reviews, skills tests and personal interviews.

    • Incentive-based variable pay refers to the presence of any incentive pay program other than standard merit pay.

    • Orientation period refers to the hours a new employee spends in training before beginning work.

    • % of Employee Involvement refers to the percentage of employees involved in group problem-solving, quality circles, or other similar activity.

    From the above table, it is evident that Reliance Super is on top in terms of share of part timers, i.e., the percentage of employees work fewer than 5 hours a week. Again Reliance Super is leading in terms of specialty tellers, i.e., the percentage of tellers that perform only a subset of teller tasks during a typical shift. And “More” retail store showed that the education level for its employees begin with under graduation which is least educational qualification compared to the employees of other retail outlets, as the employees highest education level starting from Graduation and where as the Reliance Super is achieved new hire with Graduates and Post Graduates. And also Reliance Super is engaging the employees through Extra Selection Test. Whereas other retail outlets are not concentrating on extra selection test while recruiting the employees. And from the survey, it was found that all the retail outlets are adopting incentive based pay to its employees. When it comes to Orientation period, Reliance Super is making the employees to get accustomed to the work activities. Finally, the employees‟ involvement statistics clearly showing that the employees of Spencer’s have more commitment towards problem solving and other activities. From the survey on the opinions of the employees regarding different HR practices employed in the retail organizations, the following observations were made.

    71.26% of the Spencer’s employees favored to the factor “percentage of employees whose skills & abilities are fully utilized”. For the second factor, 82.16% of the Reliance Super employees favored to the factor “percentage of employees whose jobs help them acquire skills needed for other jobs in the company”. For the third factor, 58% of the employees of Reliance Super favored to the factor “percentage of employees who have more than one position available to them for promotion”. For the fourth factor, 58% of the employees of Reliance Super favored to the factor “percentage of employees whose jobs are highly enriched”. For the fifth factor, 66% of the employees of Spencer are favored to the factor “percentage employees whose performance appraisals are formalized”. For the sixth factor, 78% of the employees of Reliance Fresh favored to the factor “percentage of employees whose performance appraisal results are used to determine compensation”.

    For the seventh factor, 76% of the employees of Reliance Fresh favored to the factor “percentage of employees whose performance appraisals focus on how job is done, not how well”. For the eighth factor, 64% of the employees of Reliance Fresh have favored to the factor “percentage of employees who have a say in the criteria used in their performance appraisal”. For the ninth factor, 64% of the employees of the Spencer are favored to the factor “percentage of employees whose performance appraisals are based on objective quantifiable results”. For the tenth factor, “64 % of the employees of Spencer are favored to the factor percentage of employees whose performance appraisals are used to identify their training needs”.

    From the above table, it is evident that the role of supervisor is vital for the organized retailers in implementation of performance appraisal. 79% of the employees of Reliance Fresh favored that “Supervisor is the initiator for the Performance appraisal. 72.89% of Spencer’s employees, 73.56% of the More employees and 72.21% of the Reliance Super employees favored that supervisor is the initiator for the Performance appraisal system in their respective retail organizations. Apart from that the next decider plays key role in the performance appraisal are Supervisor’s boss. The role of peers, subordinates, clients are less in making decisions about the performance appraisal system in the selective retail organizations selected for the study.

    TABLE SHOWING EMPLOYEES OPINION ON THE MOTIVATIONAL ASPECTS ENCOURAGED THEIR PERFORMANCE

    S. No.

    Evaluator

    V-Mart

    Spencer’s

    Q-Shop

    Reliance Trends

    1

    Supervisor

    79.19%

    72.89%

    73.56%

    72.21%

    2

    Supervisor’s boss

    10.92%

    13.69%

    11.98%

    8.12%

    3

    Peers

    2.01%

    2.56%

    2.56%

    1.96%

    4

    Subordinates

    1.92%

    1.59%

    2.5%

    3.49%

    5

    Subordinates

    2.99%

    4.92%

    6.31%

    5.62%

    6

    Clients

    2.97%

    4.35%

    3.09%

    8.6%

    Total

    100%

    100%

    100%

    100%

    Source: Primary Data


    From the above table, it is clear that, the employees of the Reliance Fresh favoring more to the factor “positive work environment” which is encouraging for better performance. The employees of Spencer’s have opinioned that “good team commitment encouraged for better performance the employees of more are favoring to the fact “Incentive schemes encouraged for better performance”. The employees of Reliance Super have favored more to the fact “qualitative training and better scope for promotion encouraged for better performance”.

    From the above table, it is observed that, the employees of Reliance Super have the satisfaction of 35% over the employee rest room facilities. The employees of Reliance super again topped as 80% of the employees of Reliance Super have shown their satisfaction over the sanitation & water facilities. For the factor „satisfaction over the transportation facilities‟, 80% of the Spencer’s employees showed their intent of satisfaction. When it comes to the facilities about recreational area with landscaped sit out, no employee of any of the selected retail out lets showed their satisfaction. When it comes to On-site First-aid Clinic, 50% of the employees of Reliance Super have showed their satisfaction. And regarding the staff accommodation, no retail outlets selected for the survey are providing staff accommodation.



    PROBLEMS & CHALLENGES AHEAD

    Human resources people are the backbone of any company and the success of retail business depends a lot upon the kind of human resource strategies it is following and how people are managed. Because of increasing competition between organized retailers, the retail industry is facing the challenges and hurdles from different areas. From the survey on select organized retailers, the following observations were made.

    1. HIGH ATTRITION: Employee retention and motivation of staff has become the major concern for HR department in the organized retailing sector. Because of the strenuous schedules and tasks involved in the retail industry, it becomes imperative for HR staff to take good care of their employees who form the building blocks of their retail chain. The undercurrents among the employees regarding company policies are many and they must be felt from time to time to sustain the quality crowd and reduce the attrition rate. From the report of Retailer, it is found that the attrition rates are comparatively high when it comes to the retail industry in India. The attrition rate in the Indian retail industry is 30-35 percent. The main reasons found to be the typical nature of job where a particular employee of an organized retail company need to work on his feet the whole day and the job is reaction intensive and the business is mainly transactional.

    2. TRAINING FOR COMPETITION: The need for efficient trained sales team is of great importance in the organized retailing at present. For every retail organization, the secret behind the success of their business is to keep the list of their loyal consumers interact. The need for a well designed HR practices are greatly needed for proper training to the newly recruited people to the retail organization. Providing training to the sales staff plays a significant role in every business operation. Nowadays, the organized retailers are looking at a sales training company to help the sales staff gain more proficiency and expertise in their respective field.

    3. OBSERVATIONS FOUND IN TRAINING SESSIONS OF SELECT ORGANIZED RETAILERS

    From the field based survey, it was found that the organized retailers at Gorakhpur District, apart from using the services of outsourcing firms to train its sales people, they are also using some of the innovative new training techniques to the staff. The techniques which are observed during the survey are:

    A). STRESSING UPON BENEFITS OF ADVERTISING: The HR managers and trainers are emphasizing upon making the sales people to think and act innovatively in designing the retail out let and as well as attracting the customers through innovative promotional strategies. The trainers are focusing on making the staff to effectively use advertising as a tool to enhance sales, promote growth, and attract new consumers.

    B). COUNTING THE CUSTOMERS: In this, the retail firms and the trainers are making the staff of the retail organization to increase the customer relationship management. Through effective training, the trainers are working on highlighting the components of marketing strategies which the sales people should perform activities of promotion, product development, relationship management, distribution and pricing. The trainers are making the retail staff which include sales staff and supporting staff to identify the firm’s marketing goals, and are explaining about how the goals can be achieved.

    3. ONLINE TRAINING: The trainers of HR department are showing the visuals of well designed and successfully running retail organization’s outlets to the employees in order to make them to realize the importance of the design of retail outlet. Apart from that, from the survey it was also realized that the trainers are focusing on online training which include web based support to enhance the abilities of the staff of the retail outlets.

    4. High Labour costs and Complex nature of labour laws: Because of the increasing competition and the complex nature of the work, the retail outlets are facing the problems of labour costs. Apart from that, various labour laws are giving restrictions to the HR department to achieve desired objectives of the retail organizations. From the survey, it was found that the HR department is facing with the problems like lengthy leisure hours and frequent absenteeism of the employees to the duties. Even, it was found that the existing labour laws in India forbid employment of staff on a contractual basis that makes it difficult to manage employee schedule. Especially, when retail organizations are performing 365- day operation, the problems in encouraging and motivating the employees to perform well is a tough challenge for the HR department.

    CONCLUSIONS

    The human resource management practices are vital for the development of any business or sector. The HRM practices have inevitable dependence on the organized retailers. From the study it was found that, right from new hire to orientation period, there are many differences in the implementation of HR practices in the selected organized retailers. The satisfaction levels of various performance appraisal measures adopted in the selected retail outlets showed that the employees are not only favored to the incentive plan but also the healthy environment and close relations between the peers are playing vital role for their performance. Further, the supervisor has the key role in taking initiative in the implementation of performance appraisal at the select organized retail outlets. The employee facilities in the select organized retail outlets found to be not satisfactory to the employees of the retail outlets. The HR department is facing the challenges which include high attrition rate, absenteeism, and implementation of innovative practices in the retail outlets. Hence, from the study, it was found that the HR management practices in the select retail outlets are still in the initial stages of development. The employee facilities and proper performance appraisal measures will always encourage the employees to achieve the best. Hence, the retail outlets should decide and implement proper HR practices in order to retain and develop the work force who are the assets for the development of organizations. The government should also need to bring revision of existing labour laws and should provide flexibility in working hours and should encourage with its laws that can bring conducive environment.

    REFERENCES

    BOOKS

    1. James R. Ogden & Denise T. Ogden(2008), “Integrated Retail Management”, Biztantra, An Imprint of Dreamtech Press, Reprint Edition 2008, New Delhi.

    2. U.C. Mathur(2010), “ Retail Management - Text and cases”, I.K. International Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.

    3. Michael Levy & Weitz(2007), “Retailing Management”, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi. 4. Barry Berman & Joel R. Evans(2007), “Retail Management – A strategic approach”, 10th Edition, Eastern Economy Edition, New Delhi.

    JOUNRALS

    1. Ashok Som, “Bracing for MNC Competion through innovative HRM Practices: the Way ahead for Indian Firms”, Thunderbird International Business Review, Wiley InterScience, Vol.48(2) 207-237, March-April,2006., Pg.No.207-211

    2. Wharton, “How will competition change Human Resource Management in Retail banking? A Strategic Perspective”, Workiing Paper Series, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Pg. No.1-29.

    3. Susan E.Jackson & Randall S. Schuler, “HRM Practices in Service-based organizations: A role theory perspective”, Advances in Services Marketing and Management, Vol.1, Pages:123-157.

    4. A CII – A.T. Kearney report, “Retail in India: Getting organized to drive growth”.

    5. Derek C.Jones, Panu Kalmi & Antti Kauhanen, “How Deos Employe Involvement Stack Up? The effects of Human Resource Management Policies on Performance in a Retail Firm, Working Papers, Cornell University.


     

    Reservations for Other Backward Classes in India


    Dr. M. Laxman

    Assistant Professor, Department of Public Administration, Nizam College, Osmania University, Hyderabad, Telangana State, India,


    ABSTRACT

    Community is a social unit of any size that shares common values. Empowerment refers to the process by which people gain control over the factors and decisions that shape their lives. It is the process by which they increase their assets and attributes and build capacities to gain access, partners, networks and/or a voice, in order to gain control. ‘Community empowerment’ refers to the process of enabling communities to increase control over their lives.

    Under Article 340 of the Indian Constitution, it is obligatory for the government to promote the welfare of the Other Backward Classes (OBCs). The president may by order appoint a commission. The First Backward Classes Commission was established by a presidential order on 29th January 1953 under the chairmanship of Kaka Kalelkar, and submitted its report on 30 March 1955. The Mandal Commission was established in 1979 by the Janata Party government to "identify the socially or educationally backward." It was headed by Indian parliamentarian B.P. Mandal. The commission's report submitted in1980.

    On 29th March 2007, the Supreme Court of India, as an interim measure, stayed the law providing for 27 percent reservation for OBCs in educational institutions. On 10th April 2008 the Supreme Court of India upheld the government's initiative of 27% OBC quotas in government-funded institutions. The Court has categorically reiterated its prior stand that those considered part of the "Creamy layer" should be excluded by government-funded institutions and by private institutions from the scope of the reservation policy.


    Introduction

    Community is a social unit of any size that shares common values. The word "community" is derived from the Old French comunete which is derived from the Latin communitas (from Latin communis, things held in common), a broad term for fellowship or organized society. One broad definition which incorporates all the different forms of community is "a group or network of persons who are connected (objectively) to each other by relatively durable social relations that extend beyond immediate genealogical ties, and who mutually define that relationship (subjectively) as important to their social identity and social practice."

    Empowerment’ refers to the process by which people gain control over the factors and decisions that shape their lives. It is the process by which they increase assets and build capacities to gain access, partners, net works.

    Community empowerment refers to the process of enabling communities to increase control over their lives. ‘Communities’ are groups of people that may or may not be spatially connected. But, who share common interest, concerns or identities. These communities could be local, national or international, with specific or broad interests.

    Constitutional and Legal Provisions

    Objective of providing reservations to the Scheduled Castes(SCs), Scheduled tribes (STs)and Other Backward Classes (OBCs) in services is not only to give jobs to some persons belonging to these communities. It basically aims at empowering them and ensuring their participation in the decision making process of the State. Justice B.P. Jeevan Reddy, while delivering the majority judgement in the matter of Indra Sawhney & Ors Vs. UOI & Ors, observed that public employment gives a certain status and power, besides the means of livelihood. The Constitution has, therefore, taken special care to declare equality of opportunity in the matter of public employment. Keeping the broader concept of equality in view, Clauses (4) and (4A) of Article 16 of the Constitution declare that nothing in the said Article shall prevent the State from making any provision for reservation of appointments or posts in favour of backward class of citizens which in the opinion of the State is not adequately represented in the services under the State. Article 16 of the Constitution and also Article 335 which have direct bearing on reservation in services are reproduced below:

    1. There shall be equality of opportunity for all citizens in matters relating to employment or appointment to any office under the State.

    2. No citizen shall, on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, descent, place of birth, residence or any of them, be ineligible for, or discriminated against in respect of, any employment or office under the State.

    3. Nothing in this article shall prevent Parliament from making any law prescribing, in regard to a class or classes of employment or appointment to an office under the Government of, or any local or other authority within, a State or Union territory, any requirement as to residence within that State or Union territory prior to such employment or appointment.

    4. Nothing in this article shall prevent the State from making any provision for thereservation of appointments or posts in favor of any backward class of citizens which in the opinion of the State, is not adequately represented in  the services under the state.

    4A Nothing in this article shall prevent the State from making any provision for reservation in matters of promotion, with consequential seniority, to any class or classes of posts in the services under the State in favor of the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes which, in the opinion of the State, are not adequately represented in the services under the State.

    4B Nothing in this article shall prevent the State from considering any unfilled vacancies of a year which are reserved for being filled up in that year in accordance with any provision for reservation made under clause (4) or clause (4A) as a separate class of vacancies to be filled up in any succeeding year or years and such class of vacancies shall not be considered together with the vacancies of the year in which they are being filled up for determining the ceiling of fifty per cent reservation on total  number of vacancies of that year.

    1. Nothing in this article shall affect the operation of any law which provides that the incumbent of an office in connection with the affairs of any religious or denominational institution or any member of the governing body thereof shall be a person professing a particular religion or belonging to a particular denomination.

    The Constitution does not define Other Backward Classes. However, in pursuance of the judgment of Supreme Court in Indira Sawhney’s case, the Government enacted the National 6 Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) Act in April, 1993. As per Section 2 of the NCBC Act, “Backward classes” means such backward classes of citizens, other than the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, as may be specified by the Central Government in the lists. For the above purpose, Section 2 also defines “lists” as lists prepared by the Central Government for providing reservation in appointments to backward classes of citizens, which, in its opinion are not adequately represented in services, under the Government of India and any local or other authority. The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has notified the lists of Castes / Communities which are treated as Other Backward Classes.

    Under Article 340 of the Indian Constitution, it is obligatory for the government to promote the welfare of the OBCs. The president may by order appoint a commission, consisting of such persons as he thinks, fit to investigate the conditions of socially and educationally backward classes within the territory of India and the difficulties under which they labour and to make recommendations as to the steps that should be taken by the union or any state to remove such difficulties and as to improve their condition and as to the grants that should be made, and the order appointing such commission shall define the procedure to be followed by the commission. A commission so appointed shall investigate the matters referred to them and present to the president a report setting out the facts as found by them and making such recommendations as they think proper.


    First Backward Classes Commission

    The First Backward Classes Commission was established by a presidential order on 29 January 1953 under the chairmanship of Kaka Kalelkar, and submitted its report on 30 March 1955. It had prepared a list of 2,399 backward castes or communities for the entire country, of which 837 had been classified as the "most backward". Some of the most notable recommendations of the commission were:

    1. Undertaking caste-wise enumeration of population in the census of 1961;

    2. Relating social backwardness of a class to its low position in the traditional caste hierarchy of Indian society;

    3. Treating all women as a class as "backward";

    4. Reservation of 70 per cent seats in all technical and professional institutions for qualified students of backward classes.

    5. Reservation of vacancies in all government services and local bodies for other backward classes.

    The commission in its final report recommended "caste as the criteria" to determine backwardness. However, the report was not accepted by the government, which feared that the backward classes excluded from the caste and communities selected by the commission might not be considered, and those in most need would be swamped by the multitudes, thus receiving insufficient attention.

    Mandal Commission

    The Mandal Commission was established in India in 1979 by the Janata Party government under Prime Minister Morarji Desai with a mandate to "identify the socially or educationally backward." It was headed by Indian parliamentarian B.P. Mandal to consider the question of seat reservations and quotas for people to redress caste discrimination, and used eleven social, economic, and educational indicators to determine backwardness. In 1980, the commission's report affirmed the affirmative action practice under Indian law whereby members of lower castes (known as Other Backward Classes (OBC), Scheduled Castes (SC) and Scheduled Tribes (ST)) were given exclusive access to a certain portion of government jobs and slots in public universities, and recommended changes to these quotas, increasing them by 27% to 50%. Mobilization on caste lines had followed the political empowerment of ordinary citizens by the constitution of free India that allowed common people to politically assert themselves through the right to vote.

    Criteria to Identify OBC

    The Mandal Commission adopted various methods and techniques to collect the necessary data evidence. In order to identify who qualified as an “ other back word class,” the commission adopted eleven criteria which could be grouped under three major headings, i.e., social, educational and economics.

    Other Backward Class (OBC) is a collective term used by the Government of India to classify castes which are educationally and socially disadvantaged. It is one of several official classifications of the population of India, along with Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes (SCs and STs). The OBCs were found to comprise 52% of the country's population by the Mandal Commission report of 1980, which in fact is around 80% of India's total population. 

    In the Indian Constitution, OBCs are described as "socially and educationally backward classes", and the Government of India is enjoined to ensure their social and educational development - for example, the OBCs are entitled to 27% reservations in public sector employment and higher education. The list of OBCs maintained by the Indian Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is dynamic, with castes and communities being added or removed depending on social, educational and economic factors.

    Until 1985, the affairs of the Backward Classes were looked after by the Backward Classes Cell in the Ministry of Home Affairs. A separate Ministry of Welfare was established in 1985 (renamed in 1998 to the Ministry of Social and Empowerment) to attend to matters relating to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and OBCs.

    The Backward Classes Division of the Ministry looks after the policy, planning and implementation of programmes relating to social and economic empowerment of OBCs, and matters relating to two institutions set up for the welfare of OBCs, the National Backward Classes Finance and Development Corporation and the National Commission for Backward Classes.

    In 1992 decision of the Supreme Court of India resulted in a requirement that 27% of civil service positions be reserved for members of OBCs.  In August 2010 the Times of India reported that at most 7% of eligible positions had been filled by OBCs, in spite of the 27% reservation. This difference between proportion of different communities in higher educational institutions is mainly because of difference in primary school enrollment.

    Legal dispute - Supreme Court interim stay

    On 29 March 2007, the Supreme Court of India, as an interim measure, stayed the law providing for 27 percent reservation for Other Backward Classes in educational institutions like IITs and IIMs. This was done in response to a public interest litigation  (Ashoka Kumar Thakur vs. Union of India). The Court held that the 1931 census could not be a determinative factor for identifying the OBCs for the purpose of providing reservation. The court also observed, "Reservation cannot be permanent and appear to perpetuate backwardness".

    Supreme Court verdict

    On 10 April 2008 the Supreme Court of India upheld the government's initiative of 27% OBC quotas in government-funded institutions. The Court has categorically reiterated its prior stand that those considered part of the "Creamy layer" should be excluded by government-funded institutions and by private institutions from the scope of the reservation policy. The verdict produced mixed reactions from supporting and opposing quarters.

    Several criteria to identify the portion of the population comprising the "creamy layer" have been recommended, including the following:

    Children of those with family income above  250,000 a year, and then  450,000 a year as of October 2008 and now 600,000 a year, should be considered creamy layer, and excluded from the reservation quota.

    • Children of doctors, engineers, chartered accountants, actors, consultants, media professionals, writers, bureaucrats, defence officers of colonel and equivalent rank or higher, high court and Supreme Court judges, all central and state government Class A and B officials should be excluded.

    • The Court has requested Parliament to exclude the children of MPs and MLAs as well.

    Supreme Court conclusions from Ashoka Kumar Thakur vs. Union of India

    The Constitution (Ninety-Third Amendment) Act, 2005 does not violate the "basic structure" of the Constitution so far as it relates to the state maintained institutions and aided educational institutions.

    1. The "Creamy layer" principle is one of the parameters to identify backward classes. Therefore, principally, the "Creamy layer" principle cannot be applied to STs and SCs, as SCs and STs are separate classes by themselves.

    2. Preferably there should be a review after ten years to take note of the change of circumstances.

    3. A graduation (not technical graduation) or professional course deemed to be educationally forward.

    4. Principle of exclusion of Creamy layer applicable to OBC's.

    5. The Central Government shall examine as to the desirability of fixing a cut off marks in respect of the candidates belonging to the Other Backward Classes (OBCs) to balance reservation with other societal interests and to maintain standards of excellence. This would ensure quality and merit would not suffer. If any seats remain vacant after adopting such norms they shall be filled up by candidates from general categories.

    6. So far as determination of backward classes is concerned, a Notification should be issued by the Union of India. This can be done only after exclusion of the creamy layer for which necessary data must be obtained by the Central Government from the State Governments and Union Territories. Such Notification is open to challenge on the ground of wrongful exclusion or inclusion. Norms must be fixed keeping in view the peculiar features in different States and Union Territories. There has to be proper identification of Other Backward Classes (OBCs). For identifying backward classes, the Commission set up pursuant to the directions of this Court in Indra Sawhney, has to work more effectively and not merely decide applications for inclusion or exclusion of castes.

    7. The Parliament should fix a deadline by which time free and compulsory education will have reached every child. This must be done within six months, as the right to free and compulsory education is perhaps the most important of all the fundamental rights (Art.21 A). For without education, it becomes extremely difficult to exercise other fundamental rights.

    8. If material is shown to the Central Government that the Institution deserves to be included in the Schedule (institutes which are excluded from reservations) of The Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Act, 2006 (No. 5 of 2007), the Central Government must take an appropriate decision on the basis of materials placed and on examining the concerned issues as to whether Institution deserves to be included in the Schedule of the said act as provided in Sec 4 of the said act.

    Institutional Safeguards

    Each Ministry / Department is required to nominate officers of the rank of Deputy Secretary or above to work as Liaison Officer who take care of implementation of instructions relating to special representation of OBCs in their respective Ministries and attached and subordinate offices. The system of nominating Liaison Officers has also been extended to the offices under the Heads of Departments. Ministries/Departments have been asked in 1969 to set up a small Cell within each Ministry/Department under the direct control of Liaison Officer to assist him to discharge his duties effectively



     

    AN ECONOMIC ANALYSIS OF SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT - A STUDY OF BENGALURU CITY


    GAJENDRA. N

    Assistant Professor, New Horizon College


    INTRODUCTION

    Waste is a pejorative term for unwanted materials. The term can be described as subjective and inaccurate because waste to one person is not waste to another. Wastes are materials that are not prime products (that is products produced for the market) for which the initial user has no further use in terms of his/her own purposes of production, transformation or consumption, and of which he/she wants to dispose. Wastes may be generated during the extraction of raw materials, the processing of raw materials into intermediate and final products, the consumption of final products, and other human activities.

    Solid-waste management may be defined as the discipline associated with controlling the generation, storage, collection, transfer and transport, processing, and disposal of solid waste in a manner that is in accordance with the best principles of health, economics, engineering, conservation, aesthetics, and other environmental considerations, and that is also responsive to public attitudes. In its scope, solid-waste management includes all administrative, financial, legal, planning, and engineering functions involved in the solutions to all problems of solid waste. The solutions may involve complex interdisciplinary fields such as political science, city and regional planning, geography, economics, public health, sociology, demography, communications, and conservation, as well engineering and materials science. Solid-waste management is a major problem in urban areas throughout the world. Without an effective and efficient solid-waste management program, the waste generated from various human activities, both industrial and domestic, can result in health hazards and have a negative impact on the environment. Understanding the waste generated, the availability of resources, and the environmental conditions of a particular society are important to developing an appropriate waste-management system.

    There has been no major effort to create community awareness either about the likely perils due to poor waste management or the simple steps that every citizen can take which will help in reducing waste generation and promote effective management of solid waste generated. The degree of community sensitization and public awareness is low. There is no system of segregation of organic, inorganic and recyclable wastes at household level. Door to door collection is not practiced in most of the cities. It is estimated that the total solid waste generated by 300 million people living in urban India is 38 million tonnes per year. The collection and disposal of municipal solid waste is one of the pressing problems of city life, which has assumed great importance in the recent past. With the growing urbanization as a result of planned economic growth and industrialization, problems are becoming acute and call for immediate and concerted action. The proper disposal of urban waste is not only absolutely necessary for the preservation and improvement of public health but it has an immense potential for resource recovery.

    It is estimated that about 1, 00,000 MT of Municipal Solid Waste is generated daily in the country. Per capita waste generation in major cities ranges from 0.20 Kg to 0.6 Kg. Generally the collection efficiency ranges between 70 to 90% in major metro cities whereas in several smaller cities the collection efficiency is below 50%. It is also estimated that the Urban Local Bodies spend about Rs.500 to Rs.1500 per tonne on solid waste for collection, transportation, treatment and disposal. About 60-70% of this amount is spent on street sweeping of waste collection, 20 to 30% on transportation and less than 5% on final disposal of waste, which shows that hardly any attention is given to scientific and safe disposal of waste. Landfill sites have not yet been identified by many municipalities and in several municipalities, the landfill sites have been exhausted and the respective local bodies do not have resources to acquire new land. Due to lack of disposal sites, even the collection efficiency gets affected. Very few Urban Local Bodies in the country have prepared long term plans for effective Solid Waste Management in their respective cities. For obtaining a long term economic solution, planning of the system on long-term sustainable basis is very essential. Rapid urbanisation and changing lifestyles have led to the generation of huge amounts of garbage and waste in the urban areas, so much so, over the past few years, just the handling this Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) has assumed the proportion of a major organizational, financial and environmental challenge.

    REVIEW OF LITERATURE

    For the realization of the topic of research, relevant information in the international scientific arena was collected through studies of diverse literature from text books/literature, international scientific journals, environmental progress report from different agencies, Internet websites, reports by governmental agencies, substantial knowledge was gathered and a review of what other scientist have written on issues concurring with the research topic was made. At International level there are various organizations including private and government which are working in the field of environment and are engaged in research and development in the field of waste management. The international agencies like World Health Organization (WHO), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) are engaged in developing new technologies for waste management and its disposal including its characterization. The clear idea about literature review at national and international level is given below.

    Benneh et al. (1993) observed that residential domestic waste forms the bulk of all sources of solid waste produced in urban areas. These household wastes are known to have high densities with high moisture content and the organic component of solid wastes, which properly accounts for about 70% to 90%, while tins, cans and paper are probably responsible for about 5% to 10% of the total waste produced. They further argued that because the capacity to handle all of the household waste generated is still weak, about 83% of the population dump refuse in either authorised or unauthorised sites in their neighbourhood which creates unsanitary conditions. They also argued that insufficient communal facilities can lead to open defecation along beaches, drains, and open spaces and the tendency for faecal materials to become intermixed with household refuse.

    Lester et.al., (1999) mentioned the municipal solid waste recycling issue and they reported that Municipal solid waste (MSW) recycling targets have been set nationally and in many states but unfortunately, the definitions of recycling, rates of recycling, and the appropriate components of MSW vary. They found that MSW recycling has been found to be costly for most municipalities compared to landfill disposal. From the study they concluded that MSW recycling policy should be determined by the cost to the community and to society more generally.

    Most important study carried out by Yusof et.al. (2002) which is important to determine solid waste generation of any city. They studied the role of socio-economic and cultural factors in municipal solid waste generation in Taman Perling, Johor Bahru, Malaysia. They reported that the absence of a comprehensive database on solid waste generation and composition appears to be the major drawback to the development of an integrated waste management system in Malaysia. According to Yusof et.al.Attributes as income, education, and other socioeconomic factors barely affect the amount of waste generation. Only family size and lifestyle factors, particularly the eating habits of residents, contribute significantly to variations in the generation of residential waste in Taman Perling, Johor Bahru. While, the amount increases with the size of family, it decreases as the respondents dine out more often.

    Selvapathy and Madhavan, (2003) assessed the risks of dumping household batteries in the municipal solid waste. They reported the higher concentrations of the heavy metals in the leachate and non-carcinogenic risks obtained by the risk assessment study also exceeded the stipulated limit. Hence they suggested separate disposal of the battery waste considering it as a hazardous waste.

    Upadhyay et.al. (2005) highlights the present scenario of waste management and the options available to convert these wastes into useful products. The change in water quality not only affects the human health but it also reduces the agricultural productivity. The polluted water changes the soil properties resulting into various hazards to the crops. Hence it is also the main area for various researchers engaged in the water quality assessment. Various researchers throughout the world focused on this issue.

    Mohammad et.al., (2007) have created the water quality index for an open municipal landfill area at Kampung Sabak, Kelantan, Malaysia and South China Sea. They studied 32 variables of ground water quality and used 7 variables for creation of water quality index. After developing the index they found the index value 26.67 which indicating the poor water quality. Ramakrishnaiah et.al., 2009 carried out assessment studies of water quality index for the groundwater in Tumkur taluka, Karnataka state, India. They reported that the high value of WQI has been found to be mainly from the higher values of iron, nitrate, total dissolved solids, hardness, fluorides, bicarbonate and manganese in the groundwater and suggested treatment to the water prior to consumption.

    Sharholy et.al., (2007) studied the municipal solid waste management and its characteristics for Alahabad city. During study they concluded that the segregation of waste at source and promotion of recycling or reuse of segregated materials reduces the quantity of waste and the burden on landfills, and provides raw materials for manufacturers.

    Sahu, (2007) worked on the present scenario of municipal solid waste dumping grounds in India. He found that, in recent days the dumping grounds are being used for construction purpose which is a common practice in metropolitans like Mumbai, Kolkata, and Delhi etc. The environment is adversely affected causing damage of property like electronic equipments, sensitive computers, server rooms etc, due to release of pollutants like Methane (CH4), Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S), Methyl Mercaptans CH3SH etc. This is the very important finding in relation to the use of dumping grounds for construction purpose.

    Sadashivaiah et.al., (2008) have studied the hydrochemical analysis and evaluation of ground water quality in Tumkur Taluk, Karnataka State, India. They studied around 269 stations during pre-monsoon and 279 locations during post-monsoon and reported their results. He found that the water for irrigation is not suitable in the study area but it may be used in the well-drained soils. A statistical approach on some physicochemical characteristics of ground water of Rampur district in Uttar Pradesh was studied by Sindhu and Sharma in 2007. They studied 25 water samples and reported that the water quality is very poor and unsuitable for drinking purpose. They also recommended that the top priority should be given to water quality monitoring and indigenous technologies should be adopted to make water fit for drinking after treatment such as defluoridation, desalination.

    Sharholy et.al., (2008) reviewed the status of municipal solid waste management in Indian cities. They reported that municipal solid waste management (MSWM) is one of the major environmental problems of Indian cities. Improper management of municipal solid waste (MSW) causes hazards to inhabitants.

    Zhu Minghua et.al., (2009) studied the management practices carried out for the solid waste from Pudong New Area, China. They have illustrated important aspects of waste management, such as the current status of waste collection, transport and disposal in Pudong area. Moqsud and Hayashi, 2006, evaluated solid waste management practice in Japan and found that 20.3% of total solid waste generated in Japan is land filled, including ash from incineration. Approximately 75% of the gross amount of municipal solid waste that Japan generates annually is incinerated providing an estimated 2.5 million Kilowatts of electricity is generated. According to Moqsud and Hayashi, the “waste management hierarchy” (minimization, recovery, transformation and disposal) has been adopted by Japan in recent times as the menu for developing solid waste management strategies.

    Oyelola et.al., (2009) reported some health implications of solid waste disposal during the study of Olusosun dumpsite, Lagos, Nigeria. Their study describes correlation of the exposure factors (smoke, odor and dust) with health hazards of its workers. They found the positive correlation between eye irritation and dust and also between difficulty in breathing and smoke; likewise between typhoid and dysentery and also malaria and dysentery. The percentage of research diseases as they affect the dumpsite workers and the scavengers are 86% eye irritation, 66% difficulty in breathing, 48% asthma, 90% cough, 10% pneumonia, 82% malaria, 46% typhoid, 44% dysentery, 42% cholera and 96% fatigue. This shows that open dump solid wastes disposal affects the health of the dumpsite workers.

    According to Rajput et.al., (2009), municipal solid waste generation showed different trend and a positive correlation with economic development in term of kg/capita/day solid waste generation at world scale. During the study of scenario of solid waste management in present Indian context, they reported waste generation varies from 200-600 kg/capita/day and collection efficiency ranges from 50-90% in India.

    Yadav and Devi, (2009) conducted studies on the solid waste management in Mysore city. They made detailed investigation regarding the methods of practices associated with sources, quantity generated, collection, transportation, storage, treatment and disposal of Municipal solid. Shivayoginath et.al., 2007 carried out a research on municipal solid waste management in Raichur city. They thoroughly studied all the components of municipal solid waste management and also suggested scientific management. Agarwal et.al., 2005 investigated recycling of the municipal solid waste (MSW) in the Indian capital city of Delhi. They found that an informal sector comprising waste recyclists and a hierarchy of recyclable dealers plays an important role in the management of solid waste.

    Nishanthiny et.al., (2010) studied the irrigation water quality based on hydro chemical analysis at Jaffna, Sri Lanka. Their result reveals that ground water quality at various places in study area was not suitable for irrigation and they identified the bicarbonate hazard as a major hazard which was due to the influence of carbonate rock dissolution.

    A review of literature of Solid Waste Management in India highlights the financial issues as the most important ones limiting improvements in SWM; Hanrahan et al (2006) specifically notes that “There is an urgent need for much improved medium term planning at the municipal and state level so that realistic investment projections can be developed and implemented.” New methods for cost planning will support waste managers when faced with difficult decisions (Milke, 2006).

    RESEARCH GAPS

    Many Researchers have attempted to provide solution to some of the issues related to solid waste management. Further some of the studies either try to evaluate the overall outcome of the SWM focusing on one or major indicators as their main emphasis depending on the area of their specialization. Researcher found that earlier studies have not much focused on the policies and legal practices of the government adopted to minimize the solid wastes. The present study addresses the problems and concerns which were not focused by the earlier scholars. Hence, the present study attempts to analyze the problems and functioning of Solid Waste Management in Bengaluru City.

    IMPORTANCE OF THE PROBLEM

    Solid waste management not only comes from industrial units. It also comes from various sources. Every man with the operation of daily domestic work creates solid waste for disposal. Ssolid waste disposal creates a problem primarily in highly populated areas like Bengaluru city.In Bengaluru, generation of municipal solid waste (MSW), industrial, hazardous waste, and biomedical waste have been increasing due to migration of people from rural to urban, population growth, changes in life style of residents and economic development. On the other hand, waste management responses have not kept pace with the increasing quantities of waste resulting:

    • High proportion of uncollected waste,

    • Poor standards of transportation, storage, treatment and disposal.

    • Open dumping of garbage by the public

    • Poorly maintained landfill sites

    Practically every citizen is now search of clear air and pleasant environment. The land pollution problem has grown enormously in the recent years due to waste dumping civics administration are facing the problem for hygiene disposal waste. Those calls for separate efforts of not only the civics administration but participation of several responsibilities publics groups and industrial lists. As the cities are growing in size and problems seen as the generation of plastic waste, various municipal waste treatment and disposal methods are now being used to try resolving these problems. Garbage generation in household can be recycled and reused to prevent creation of waste at sources and reducing amount of waste thrown into the community dustbins.

    STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM

    There has been a progressive decline in the standard of services with respect to collection and disposal of municipal solid waste including hospital and industrial wastes, as well as measures for ensuring adequacy of environmental sanitation and public hygiene. In Bengaluru city nearly half of solid waste generated remains unattended, giving rise to insanitary conditions especially in densely populated slums which in turn results in an increase in morbidity especially due to microbial and parasitic infections and infestations in all segments of population, with the urban slum dwellers and the waste handlers being the worst affected. Despite the present concerns of individuals and the government about waste management in Bengaluru, is still faced with serious solid waste management problems. From observation, domestic and municipal solid wastes are commonly found in Bengaluru. Domestic waste comes from activities such as cooking and from human excreta. Municipal wastes are the trash from commercial establishments, small industries, and households. These include tins, plastic products, and polythene bags. These form the greater part of the waste observed on the streets, in gutters, and the back of houses and roadside in Bengaluru city.

    Containers for storing solid wastes in homes include old buckets, baskets, plastic containers, boxes, sacks, and even polythene bags, which in most cases have no lids. Hence, the wastes are even spread around before they get to the sanitary sites. Solid waste, when treated well, can be turned into a resource, but the greater part of wastes generated in Bengaluru seem not to undergo any treatment before their final disposal. They are left in piles for weeks to create unsanitary scenes that smell bad and, worst of all, create diseases. Solid wastes generated in Bengaluru are most often disposed of in open dumps, gutters, and at the back of houses probably due to the inadequate solid waste management equipment or the long distances to the sanitary sites. People also leave their wastes in piles for days before they finally get to the sanitary sites for disposal. The above problems make it clear that the BBMP is unable to cope up with the problem.

    OBJECTIVES

    The overall objective of the research is to economic analysisof solid waste management in Bengaluru city. The specific objectives of the study are:

    1. To study the major problems in the generation, reduction, reuse, recycling, handling, collection, transfer and transport, transformation and disposal of solid waste in Bengaluru.

    2. To understand the prevailing technologies and practices of solid-waste management collection, transformation, and disposal of wastes at various levels.

    3. To analyse the rules and regulations, policies of state government in cleaning the environment.

    4. To analyse the factors affecting solid waste management in Bengaluru city.

    5. To assess the attitudes and perceptions of people in Bengaluru towards Solid Waste Management.

    6. To explore the policy measures and industrial action to minimize the undesirable impacts generated by solid wastes.

    HYPOTHESES

    • H1: Bengaluru city has failed to manage the problem of solid waste.

    • H2: BBMP (Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike) have failed to implement the appropriate planning and practices towards Solid waste management.

    • H3: Attitudes and life style of people in Bengaluru have affected the environment.

    • H4: There is no significant effect of Policies and practices of state government towards Solid wastes.

    METHODOLOGY

    The study hasadopted the following methodology.

    METHODS OF DATA COLLECTION

    The data collection is of two types - primary data and secondary data.

    1. Primary Data: They are collected through sample survey and structured questionnaire. The questionnaire contains both closed and open-ended questions. The authorities of the BBMP (Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike)were interviewed. Personal interviews and observations were conducted to obtain more information from the residents of Bengaluru city.


    1. Secondary data: The major sources of secondary information were collected like books, journals, newspapers, Magazines and internet sources.

    SAMPLING DESIGN

    In order to fulfill the objectives of the study the stratified sampling technique is used and it has two major strata like industrial waste and household waste. The total sample size of the study is 150 including 10 BBMP authorities, 10 industrial people and 130 residents of Bengaluru.


    SELECTION OF STUDY AREA

    As a researcher, the major problem and challenge in the Bengaluru city is disposing, reuse, recycling the solid wastes. Management of solid waste reduces or eliminates adverse impacts on the environment and human health and supports economic development and improved quality of life. A number of processes are involved in effectively managing waste for a municipality. These include monitoring, collection, transport, processing, recycling and disposal. Most urban areas in the country are plagued by acute problems related to solid waste. Due to lack of serious efforts by city authorities, garbage and its management has become a tenacious problem and this notwithstanding the fact that the largest part of municipal expenditure is allotted to it.

    LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY

    • The present study is confined only to solid waste among various types of wastes.

    • The study is only confined to Bengaluru City especially BBMP.

    • The study is much focused on hazardous wastes of Bengaluru city.

    • The conclusions drawn from the study may not be generalized.

    • The study is based on the data available by the BBMP officials of Bengaluru city.

    REFERENCES

    • Agarwal, A., Singhmar, A., Kulshrestha, M., Mittal, A.K., (2005). Municipal solid waste recycling and associated markets in Delhi, India. Journal of Resources, Conservation and Recycling 44 (1), 73–90.

    • Ahsan, N., (1999). Solid waste management plan for Indian megacities. Indian Journal of Environmental Protection 19 (2), 90–95.

    • Bhide, A.D., Shekdar, A.V., (1998). Solid waste management in Indian urban centers. International Solid Waste Association Times (ISWA)(1), 26–28.

    • Chakrabarty, P., Srivastava, V.K., Chakrabarti, S.N., (1995). Solid waste disposal and the environment – a review. Indian Journal Of Environmental Protection 15 (1), 39–43.

    • Dayal, G., (1994). Solid wastes: sources, implications and management. Indian Journal of Environmental Protection 14 (9), 669–677.

    • Garg, S., Prasad, B., (2003). Plastic waste generation and recycling in Chandigarh. Indian Journal of Environmental Protection 23 (2), 121–125.

    • Ghose, M.K., Dikshit, A.K., Sharma, S.K., (2006). A GIS based transportation model for solid waste disposal – A case study on asansol municipality. Journal of Waste Management 26 (11), 1287–1293.

    • Gupta, S., Krishna, M., Prasad, R.K., Gupta, S., Kansal, A., (1998). Solid waste management in India: options and opportunities. Resource, Conservation and Recycling 24, 137–154.

    • Jha, M.K., Sondhi, O.A.K., Pansare, M., (2003). Solid waste management –a case study. Indian Journal of Environmental Protection 23 (10), 1153–1160.

    • Joardar, S.D., (2000). Urban residential solid waste management in India. Public Works Management and Policy 4 (4), 319–330.

    • Kansal, A., (2002). Solid waste management strategies for India. Indian Journal of Environmental Protection 22 (4), 444–448.

    • Kansal, A., Prasad, R.K., Gupta, S., (1998). Delhi municipal solid waste and environment – an appraisal. Indian Journal of Environmental Protection 18 (2), 123–128.

    • Khan, R.R., (1994). Environmental management of municipal solid wastes. Indian Journal of Environmental Protection 14 (1), 26–30.

    • Malviya, R., Chaudhary, R., Buddhi, D., (2002). Study on solid waste assessment and management – Indore city. Indian Journal of Environmental Protection 22 (8), 841–846.

    • Nema, A.K., (2004). Collection and transport of municipal solid waste. In: Training Program on Solid Waste Management. Springer, Delhi, India.


     

    UNORGANIZED WOMEN WORKERS IN KARNATAKA ; PROBLEMS AND CHALLENGES


    Smt. Mangalamma.M

    Asst.Prof. in Sociology, Govt First Grade College, Jayanagara, Bangalore . India


    Abstract

    Unorganized sector comprises of major part of Indian Economy. In unorganized sector, those enterprises and employments are involved which are unregistered under any legal provision. More than 90% man power contributes in unorganized sector globally. In, Indian scenario, 86% of human resource is employed in unorganized sector. 91% of women workers in unorganized. The female work participation rate in Karnataka has increased nearly four and half times i.e. from 4.4 in 2001 to 18.7 percent (main worker 11.9 percent, marginal worker 6.8 percent) in 2011, and rural female work participation is 2.25 times that of urban female work participation. Women working in the informal sector are not included in the official statistics and their work is undocumented and considered as disguised wage work, unskilled, low paying and does not provide benefits to the worker. India was one of the first countries in the world to give women the right to vote. The Indian constitution is one of the most progressive in the world and guarantees equal rights for men and women. Despite the advances women have made in many societies, women's concerns are still given second priority almost everywhere. They continue to face discrimination and marginalization both subtle and blatant and do not share equally in the fruits of development. Their contribution is not given due credit. Women workers in unorganized sector lag behind the males in terms of level and quality of employment. Such women, when they have to perform dual of both outside employment in harsh and hostile working conditions and manage their homes, come across problems, which needs a loud hearing. These women are often illiterate, unskilled socially backward and economically weak which often hide their work participation. Poverty, lack of access to education and inadequate health facilities are their major problems. Women workers contribute substantially to the growth of Karnataka. These workers continue to labour under many severe problems. These women workers working in unorganized sector are generally exploited. In this paper an attempt is made to discuss about problem of women workers in unorganized sector and some act and laws of government to prevent women workers from exploitation and to find out measures to empower the women.

    Key words: Insecurity, Program, Problems, Policies, Unorganized Sector , Women


    INTRODUCTION

    Employment insecurity is a pressing problem for millions in India, but the most severely affected are the unorganized sector workers. This sector is characterized by the temporary, seasonal and changing nature of employment often resulting in long periods of unemployment, absence of a fixed employer-employee relationship, failure of wages to meet minimal requirements, poor work environment, long working hours, irregular incomes, etc. which contribute to poor employment security of the workers.

    Our Indian constitution assures equality of men and women. Besides of so many efforts from past years, female section of society is deprived in compared to male section. They are not given first priority in social and economic decisions in her own family. According to United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) report, women are involved in doing 67% work of world; still they are socially and economically deprived. They are receiving only 10% of the universal income and have 1% part in global assets. This discrimination also persists in their work place in unorganized sector. In informal sector, women workers don’t get same wages for same nature of work for same hours done by men. They are exploited at workplace. They are some acts i.e. The Unorganized Workers Social Security Act, 2008, Domestic Workers Welfare and Social Security Act, 2010 etc. but due to their improper implementation, women workers are forced to work and live in miserable conditions in unorganized sector


    Women in unorganized sector and their problems

    The Organized sector workers are distinguished by regular salaried jobs with well-defined terms and conditions of employment, clear-cut rights and obligations and fairly comprehensive social security protection. The unorganized sector, on the other hand, has no such clear-cut employer-employee relationships and lacksmost forms of social protection. Having no fixedemployer, these workers are casual, contractual,migrant, home based, own-account workers whoattempt to earn a living from whatever meager assetsand skills they possess.National Commission on Labour (1966-69) has definedunorganized labour as those who have not been ableto organize themselves in pursuit of common objectiveson account of constraints like casual nature ofemployment, ignorance and illiteracy, small andscattered size of establishments and position of powerenjoyed by employers because of nature of industry.

    The unorganized sector is characterized by thepresence of factors viz. long hours of work, wagediscrimination of men and women, lack of job security,no minimum wages, lack of minimum facilities at workplace, ill-treatment, heavy physical work and sexualexploitation etc.The laboring women generally work in unorganizedsector. They are outside the reach of Protective LabourLaws and Trade Union Organizations. They are notoffered fair wages and decent terms of work. There arehardly any opportunities to improve their incomebecause in this sector, females work generally aslaborers in unskilled occupations, do traditional workas domestic servants. The process of globalization,export oriented industrialization and relocation ofindustries from the developed to developing countriesalso lead to increase in women workers in unorganizedsector.

    The nature of women’s work ranges from wageemployment or self-employment, family labour andpiece rated work. The prevalence of women workersin urban unorganized sector is significant in number.They are engaged in activities like domestic work,construction work, small trades like brick making, coirand basket weaving, household industries etc. In ruralunorganized sector women are engaged in agriculturalactivities, animal husbandry, dairy, fisheries etc. In thepresent paper the status of women domestic workers,construction workers and agriculture laborers wasstudied through an empirical study.Most of the domestic workers and construction workersare primarily women who have migrated from rural areasfor economic gain. The influx of women workers to thecities for non-farm employment has saturated theexisting sectors and is one of the main reasons for herextreme exploitation. Hardships of city life, absence ofbasic amenities and exploitation of these women byemployers have added to their misery.The condition of women agriculture labour in rural areasis no better. Most of them do not have year roundemployment. They suffer vital disadvantages comparedto men in their search for employment opportunities,lower real wages, increased uncertainties andirregularities of employment. There are legal provisionsto protect their rights. Such working conditions are ahurdle in their overall development leading to underperformance and not allowing them to raise theirproductive capacity in that very profession also.

    Reasons of Women’s Engagement and Problems faced by Women Labourers

    Poverty was the main reason for women’s engagementas laborers in construction and agriculture. To support the family they took up work inconstruction sector whereas inadequacy of husband’sincome was an added cause for women to work asagricultural laborers. However women took up domesticwork primarily because of inadequate income of thehusband and poverty.that the major problem faced by mostof the women laborers in unorganized sector was lackof benefits. Among construction laborers lack ofbenefits (95%), excessive burden of work (90%) and fatigue (89%) were the three main problems faced bythem. Among agriculture laborers wage discrimination(100%), seasonal nature of employment (100%) andlack of benefits (96%) were the main problems andamong domestic workers lack of benefits (72%), lackof job security (64%) and lack of skill and knowledge(58%) were the three main problems faced by them. It was also found that there was total lack of jobsecurity as well as admissibility of social securitybenefits. There was excessive exploitation of thewomen labour, resulting in long working hours,unsatisfactory working conditions, and occupationalhealth hazards. These are the principal employers withmassive capital outlay at one end and hundreds of construction workers with highly insecure subsistencelevel of living on the other end. In between is a wholehierarchy of intermediaries, contractors and subcontractorsso that there is no direct link betweenemployer and worker.

    The invisibility of the workers andspecifically of the women labour has left the womento work in this industry with terms of employment,types of work, housing and living conditions determinedby nature of recruitment. It was observed that they areforced to live in areas with inadequate facilities,stressful living conditions and often in slums which aredeprived of basic services, unhygienic conditions, poordrainage and sanitation, regular garbage collection, exposed to environmental and health hazards. Therehad been no educational facility for the children ofmigrant labor and employee-employer relations wereunsympathetic.Women play a pivotal role in agriculture. They assistthe bread earner of the family by adding to the familyincome as wage earners.

    However, the traditionalviewpoint still prevails particularly in rural areasassigning a secondary place to women. The findingsof the study reveals that in agriculture sector themajority of the women laborers (66%) belonged to lowercastes and all of them were residents of Karnataka.There are certain types of agricultural operations, whichare mainly done by women laborers for exampleharvesting, transplanting, weeding and thrashing. It isassumed that all female jobs need less skill and lessstrength however, such operations are much morestrenuous and backbreaking. Such a great burden ofwork does not lead to sufficient amount of wages. Even when men and women perform the same task, the malelaborers receive Rs. 20 to 40 more than the femaleworkers. They work for longer hours, receive low wages, because of low level of skills, knowledge, illiteracy andignorance. The study revealed that agricultural laborersface many problems viz. poor living conditions, lackof knowledge of proper sanitation, hygiene, lack ofsocial security benefits and exploitation by the employers. The study also proved that relation betweenemployer and the laborers was not harmonious andcongenial. The poverty and landlessness push the poorrural women to do low paid jobs in agriculture asalternative supplementary occupations are just notavailable in rural areas. Due to low wages, most of thewomen workers reported that they were incapable tomaintain or fulfill the necessary requirements of theirfamilies hence they borrow money from the moneylenders. In this way they get trapped in the cycle ofdebt trap. One of the most important features ofagricultural women laborers’ was that they areseasonally employed and after the season they remainunemployed. Also with the introduction of new labourreplacing machinery there has been a reduction inemployment opportunities, particularly for womenbecause they are unskilled and hired only for manualwork.With more and more women stepping out of their homesto contribute to family’s income the demand fordomestic help is on the rise. These domestic helps arehired for doing all kinds of household chores likecleaning the house, cleaning utensils, washing clothes,cooking food, baby sitting and running little errands etc.

    The basic nature of their work could be described asphysically exhausting, tedious, monotonous andrepetitive. Domestic workers are amongst the worstpaid workers. The results revealed that the majority ofthese workers earned only Rs. 30-40 per day. It isimportant to note that these abysmally low wages arenot due to a lack of productivity on the part of domesticworkers, but are rather a function of their low bargainingpower. Domestic worker is treated like a marketablecommodity. Employers determine who they want toemploy, for how long, at what wages and conditions,and at what point the domestic worker should bedismissed, with the domestic employee havingnegligible bargaining power is an easy victim ofexploitation.

    The domestic workers are employed in the privatesphere of the house and their work is deemed assubservient. They tend to work for irregular hours andare subject to many forms of abuse and humiliationincluding threats of job loss. They are prone tonumerous problems like lack of living space, receivingless than the minimum wages, wage rates at thediscretion of individual employers, health and sanitationproblems, lack of job security, lack of sick or maternitybenefits and others. They were duped due to theirilliteracy and poverty.

    Problems and Challenges of Women Workers in Unorganized Sector

    1. There is no sustainability of employment of women workers in unorganized sector.

    2. They are not getting proper training in unorganized sector.

    3. Women belonging to lower caste and communities face more disparity in social terms.

    4. They don’t get right to raise their voice and interrupt in financial decision in their ownfamily.

    5. Exploitation is the main problem of female workers in unorganized sector.

    6. In unorganized sector women are exempted from maternity benefit and child care facilities.

    7. Women workers frequently face discrimination due to gender inequality

    8. In unorganized sector women workers do not have benefit of minimum wage act or factories Act.

    Acts and Programs for Women in Unorganized Sector

    The central and state governments have taken many steps to address the problem ofemployment insecurity. Employment-generation programmes have always been given highpriority.The Karnataka Employment Guarantee Scheme, which is the longest survivingprogramme of its kind in the field (Bagchee, 2005), was introduced to provide gainfulemployment to those seeking it. In the recent past, the SampoornaGrameenRozgarYojana(SGRY) for wage employment and the Swarnajayanti Gram SwarozgarYojana(SGSY) forself-employment have been prominent central government programmes. The National RuralEmployment Guarantee Act (NREGA), 2005, which was approved by the Parliament in August2005 and which is currently being implemented in 200 districts of the country, is a response ofthe government to the massive employment crisis in the rural areas and gives ample indicationof the magnitude of employment insecurity in the country.

    Efforts have also been made to regulate the conditions of employment and ensure the welfareof the workers. In the context of unorganized workers, a representative example of these is theConstruction Workers’ Welfare Bill in Karnataka, meant to improve the employment securityof the workers, including aspects like regulation of conditions of work, hours of work, paymentof minimum wages, overtime, safety measures, accident compensation, etc. The benefits of this Bill, however, are accessed mostly by the workers in constructioncompanies and contracting agencies1 as these workers, having relatively continuous employmentand easily identifiable employers, can easily be covered under the Bill.The ordinary construction worker, working for one or a number of contractors, seldombenefits from such legislations.2 The factors responsible for this are simply the features of the

    unorganised sector itself, as mentioned earlier. The primary problem is one of availability ofcontinuous employment. This is a ‘promotional social security need’ of the workers, and itsfulfilment is imperative for the implementation of ‘protective’ measures such as those includedin the aforementioned Bill.

    1. Domestic workers and social security Act, 2010: Women and child are morevulnerable exploitation so government has formulated this act for providing them betterworking conditions including registration.

    2. Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA):

    3. MGNREGA has played a remarkable role in employment of women workers inorganized sector. It has created better working conditions same wage to women and men.

    4. The Unorganized Workers Social Security Act, 2008This act was passed in 2008 to provide for the socialsecurity and welfare of unorganized workers. Accordingto this Act the Central Govt. shall formulate suitablewelfare schemes for unorganized workers on matterrelating to life and disability cover, health and maternitybenefits, old age protection and the State Govt. mayformulate schemes relating to provident fund.,employment injury benefit, housing educationalschemes for children, skill up gradation of workers,funeral assistance and old age homes for unorganizedworkers. These schemes may be wholly funded by theCentral Govt. or State Govt. or party throughcontribution collected from the beneficiaries of thescheme or the employers. The Central Govt. shallconstitute a National Social security board and everyState Govt. shall constitute a state Social SecurityBoard to recommend suitable schemes and to monitorand review the expenditure under various schemes.Under this Act every unorganized workers, above theage of fourteen years, will be registered and issued anidentity card and will be eligible for social securitybenefits under the scheme. A number of schemes havebeen covered under this act to provide social security to the unorganized workers like National Family BenefitScheme, JananiSurakshaYojna, Indira GandhiNational Old Age Pension Scheme, AamAdmiBimaYojna etc.

    5. Cooperative intervention: Cooperative provides employment and opportunitiesprovided to women worker for earning income. Corporative tries to make balance inindividual need and communing needs by empowering them.

    Measures for empowerment of women in unorganized sector:

    1. Providing basic education to women so that they become aware about the schemes andfacilities about the schemes for them.

    2. Make women aware of technical and financial assistance available to women entrepreneurs, and to encourage them through concessions and incentives.

    3. A trade Union should be formed among women workers.

    4. Adequate training should be provided to women workers

    5. There should be proper guidelines for recruitment process working hours and for healthhazards.

    6. A supervisory body should be established to monitor the proper implemented of legislation and provision related to women workers

    7. There is need of more effective poverty alleviation program.

    8. Co-operative should be promoted because they are important role in improving the socio economic conditions of women workers

    9. Government should focus on promoting gender equality and empowerment of women.

    Conclusion:

    In India around thirty crore people are working in the unorganized sectorand the number is on the rise. The meaning of unorganized sector, popularly known as unprotected sector, could be without regular source of income and working throughoutthe year. They constitute the fringes of society and are not getting a chance to be a part ofthe mainstream economy. It can be easily estimated that the women working in unorganized sector are living a life far below from satisfaction. The low earning of these women cannot meet with their daily needs. They do marry, bear children, and get old but under these phases of life, they live the same life. They live under unhygienic environment which results dangerous diseases. They work more than men as they have to play a dual role working both in and outside the home. They have no medical facilities even at the critical moment of giving but to children. A few of them are assisted by other members of family in household work otherwise they have to work solely. No doubt, there are laws to protect women and prevent exploitation but these laws (the Interstate Migrant Workmen Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service Act, 1979, The Bonded Labour System (Abolition) Act, 1976 and Maternity Benefit Act, 1961), but these legislations are not practically and strictly implement. It is the need of the hour that government and NGOs must come forward to improve the lot of these women. The Trade Union and Voluntary Organizations can play a vital role in making them conscious of cleanliness, health, education and above all their rights and this can be done only with the joint efforts of the government, NGOs and common people. Much remains to be done for the betterment of these beautiful creations of God.

    References

    1. Bharat Jyoti (2008), Report on Socio-economic Status of The Women Domestic Workers, Ministry of WCD,

    2. SantoshNandal (2004), Women Workers in Unorganised Sector: A study on construction industry in Haryana, International Journal of Development Issue, Volume 5 No.2 (2006),

    3. Tinu K. Mathew (2008), Role of Social Movements in Organizing The Unorganised Sector Workers: A Case Study of LEARN, Dharavi

    4. Vijya Kumar Sodadas (2011), Unorganised Sector in India Working and Living Conditions of Stone Quarry Workers

    5. Dileep Kumar M. (2012) Inimitable Issues of Construction Workers: Case Study, British Journal of Economics, Finance and Management Sciences, Vol. 7

     

    A STUDY ON THE PERFORMANCE OF SELF HELP GROUPS FOR COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT IN RAICHUR DISTRICT


    Sumitra Pyati

    Assistant Professor of Economics, GFGC, Manvi


    ABSTRACT

    Poverty and unemployment are the two major problems of under developed countries, to which India is no exception. The union Government has implemented various schemes to reduce poverty and promote gainful employment opportunities. But the most attractive scheme with less effort is the ‘self help groups’. In order to change the socio-economic scenario, SHG’s are playing significant role in the self employment by raising the level of income and standard of living rural people. In this framework, one of the most vital aspects is the formation of SHG’s which is a valuable investment in human capital through training and capacity building measures. An attempt has been made in this paper to study the performance of SHG’s for community empowerment in Raichur district with special reference to Jagruth Mahila Sangathan. The present study analyses the dalith women empowerment through the processes of Jagruth Mahila Sangathan.This study is based on secondary data like newspapers, journals, and websites.JMS envisaged as a collective of dalith women agricultural labourers in the district of Raichur in Northern Karnataka, working on issues of social and economic rights. It has financially supported the projects which are linked to Dalit Human Rights, Access to natural resources, increasing the economic and social bargaining power of Dalit women. It has its ultimate vision in envisioning A life of dignity for Dalit women and Dalit communities.


    INTRODUCTION

    Empowerment of women is multifaceted, multidimensional and multi layered concept. Women empowerment is a process in which the women understand their potentials and strengths and get greater share of controle over various kinds of resources like materials, human and intellectual resources along with socio economic independence. Basically women empowerment is a process in which women individually and collectively become active, knowledgeable and goal oriented actors who support initiatives to overcoming gender inequalities. The Govt. of India and state authorities alike have increasingly realised the importance of devoting attention to the economic betterment and development of rural women in India. TheIndian Constitution guarantees that there shall be no discrimination on the grounds of gender. Self Help Groups have, infact, emerged as one of the major strategies for poverty alleviation, human development and social empowerment. The purpose of SHG’s is to build the functional capacity of the poor and the marginalised in the field of employment and income generating activities. Self Help Groups can be defined as supportive educational and usually change oriented mutual aid group that addresses life problems or conditions commonly shared by all members. Empowerment is a multi dimensional process which should enable women to realise their full identity and power in all spheres of life (Sabyasachidas,2003).

    CONCEPT OF SELF HELP GROUPS

    A self help group is a registered or unregistered voluntary association of poor people of 10 to 20, from the same socio economic backgrounds and it involves primarily in saving and credit activities. A SHG is formed independently without any political influences. It can be all women group, all men group or even a mixed group. However it can be seen that over 90 % of these have only women members.The SHG provides not only saving mechanism, which suits the needs of the members but also has the cost effective delivery mechanism for small credit to its members. These starts with saving and not with credit; it uses its savings to give loans to members to meet their emergency and other needs. Self Help Group also known as mutual help, mutual aid, or support groups, are groups of people who provide mutual support for each other. In a self help group, the members share a common problem, often a common disease or addiction. Their mutual goal is to help each other to deal with, if possible to heal or to recover from, this problem (Sharing Solutions 1992). SHG’s are started by NGO’s that generally have broad anti poverty agendas. SHG’s are seen as instruments for a variety of goals including empowering women, developing leadership activities among poor people, increasing school enrollments and improving nutrition. SHG is a homogeneous group of micro entrepreneurs with affinity among themselves, voluntarily formed to save whatever amount they can conveniently save out of their earnings and mutually agree to a common fund of the group from which small loans are given to the members for meeting their productive and emergent credit needs at such rate of interest, period of loan and other terms as the group may decide.The SHG movement has gathered pace in countryside and is directly or indirectly contributing towards the economic development of rural areas.

    OBJECTIVES

    1. To analyse the SHGs special reference with JagruthMahilaSangathan.

    2. To studys the Dalit women development through JMS.

    METHODOLOGY

    Type of study: The study employs descriptive study.

    Sources of data: The study is based on secondary data. The data has been collected from the books, journal, and relevant websites.

    REVIEW OF LITERATURE

    • B Siddappa in his Article “Self Help Groups In Karnataka: An Assessment” said that, the women members of SHGs who had been leading below subsistence level before the membership of the SHGs, after becoming the members of SHGs have improved their living standards through their earnings. It is one of the outstanding achievements of these members. Their strength and household contribution is still improving and contributing much towards the socio-economic transformation.

    • Ravi V and S Ramesh in this article “Impact Of Microfinance On Socio-Economic Status after joining SHG in Karnataka : A Study” reveals that, the impact of microfinance on changes is more intense on factors like access to credit sources, health services, immunization, and sanitation facility etc leads to change observed with respect to asset building, decision making, family planning and girl child development awareness. Active intervention by district administration, professional bodies and voluntary organization is needed for successful empowerment.

    JAGRUTH MAHILA SANGATHAN - A DALIT WOMEN AGRICULTURAL LABOURERS COLLECTIVE

    Jagruth Mahila Sangathan (JMS) began and initiated as an idea of Dalit women empowerment in 2000 by a small group of individuals who were involved in Narmada Bachao Andolan and incidentally there that AID was introduced to these activists. The collective has grown through the women leadership and a change is visible in the 10 years in the lives of Dalit women. JMS has become a symbol of resistance to oppression and also a symbol for the potential of creative energy of Dalit women. JMS is a Dalit women agricultural labourers collective, having a membership of 800 women households from Dalit and other backward communities. The women leaders who have been trained so far take leadership in various issues and they are supported by local youth who work as karyakarthas. The work was started by group of youngsters from different parts of the country with an understanding that marginalised communities, and within them Dalit women agricultural labourers needed to be organised as a first step in the work towards social transformation using the self help groups model the women were brought together.

    Leadership and Organisation

    JMS is managed by local leadership for transparent governance and enhanced ownership, the coordination committee of JMS also called the sanchalana samiti which is responsible for the on-going work and takes decisions on important policy matters. This team is elected by women themselves as representatives of JMS. The programme team of local youth from the core staff-activities who execute the work and they support the sanchalana samiti. Then from the community are the honorary women volunteers who work at the field level, who give full time to work for the women’s collective. JMS works in two talukas namely Sindhanoor and Manvi of Raichur district covering 12 village panchayaths. From each village two women leaders are nominated by their sanghas to represent the village unit in the meetings. Annually two or three meetings of these representatives are facilitated at Pothnal. Larger issues of sanghatan, policies, difficulties and constraints are discussed at this meeting. It has also monthly meetings that discussed issues with PDS, Devadasi system, untouchability, etc.

    Goals:

    • Facilitate a vibrant Dalit Women Agricultural Labourers’ Collective addressing wider issues of social justice, civil/cultural, socio- economic and political rights.

    • Access Rights related to local governance, housing, sanitation, pensions, health care, food security, Right to work and Right to information.

    • Secure educational rights of Dalit children.

    • Secure health rights of the rural poor by mobilizing people to work for people’s participation in making the health programmes successful by participating in community monitoring and community action.

    • Initiating agricultural development and ensure food security for small and marginal farmers through sustainable farming techniques, development of marginal lands through collectivization of small landholders.

    • Secure livelihoods of the rural poor through micro-entrepreneurship using natural resources and locally available materials.

    PROCESSES :

    Right To Health:“Our health in Our Hands” – An initiative in primary Health Care:

    JMS is part of the people’s Health Movement and has taken lead in the district in the right to primary health care campaign. Existing in extreme economic depravation Dalit women carry the burden to domestic responsibilities, production within the unorganized sector and reproduction in the domestic sphere. Their social and economic status necessitates a condition of premature and repeated reproduction and production, which result in life long conditions compromised health status. In this regard the people’s health movement was started in the year 2000 at the backdrop of the failed promise of Alma Ata Declaration-1978 summarised in the phrase “Health for all by 2000”. In the mobalisation that happened in karnataka JMS was a part. As a part of reflecting upon the health situation of Dalit communities two small enquiries were undertaken with the support of community health cell,Bangalore. One, accessibility of Dalit children to Anganwadis and second, primary health care servises to Dalit communities in primary health centers.

    JMS has been one of the active people’s organization in the Right to primary health care campaign in the district of Raichur. It maintained a close relationship with PHC’s and sub centers in the area of work. It has initiated in 2003. The campaign was called ‘Nodi Nimma Arogya Kendra’(Come, see your health centers). From the year 2005 as the community health work of JMS got intensified JMS came in touch with Janaarogya Andolan Karnataka(JAAK). The CHWs of JMS got functioned as ‘bare-foot doctors’ and as healers at the primary health care level. Over the last 10 years. On February 1st, 2007 ‘Right To Health Demand Day’ at Raichur where the women submitted memorandum to district health officer asking for the primary health care services in the PHCs. A study was made of 27 PHCs in Raichur. Planning and participation in the district committee of JAAK on 28thseptember 2007 followed by survey of PHCs and the recording of denial health care in 5 PHCs-Byagwat, Hirekotnekal, Thorandinni (ManviTaluka,Raichur district) and Balaganur, Ragalparvi PHCs (Sindhnur Talukas).

    Community Health Works are known to treat people with numberof skin diseases prevalent in the are, patients with paralytic stroke, anemia, migraine headaches, virtiligo etc. The herbal products such as pain oil, skin oil, cough reliver decoction oil, hair oil, etc are medicines and local remedies as the base and in great demand from many parts of the country. They have been able to councel and treat 10000 men and women from all castes and creeds over these years through their regular ‘Thursday Clinics’. The CHWs rejuvenated their health unit in 2011 by again refreshing themselves with new energy. In the year 2012 insights on issues of mental health and disability also focussed within the community.

    Community Monitoring and Planning under NRHM Village Health and Sanitation Committee (VHSC) training: JMS was one of the three organizations which took active part in the Community Monitoring and Planning (CMP) programme in Raichur district. Community Health Cell was the nodal organization for Raichur district and the programme was implemented through the PHM partners in Raichur viz. Roovari, Samuha and JMS. This was a pilot programme in community monitoring undertaken in 9 states under NRHM. In Raichur district, 4 PHCs were selected in each of the three blocks (total 12 PHCs) and the training of the Village Health and Sanitation Committees (VHSCs) was done in each of the villages of these PHCs. A total of 135 villages coming under 12 PHCs were covered in Raichur. JMS was instrumental in training VHSCs in 50 villages. The PHCs chosen were Pothnal, Thoranadinni, Byagwat and Hirekotnekal.

    Right to Social Security and Pension parishad: One of the issues that JMS wanted to address and was always falling short of strategies for was the issue of the aged or senior citizens. The issue of their vulnerability among the Dalit communities not only as unorganized sector but even as resourceless Dalits is very critical. There was a public meeting that was organized in Raichur on this issue in which JMS participated.

    Right to Food and Campaign Against Malnutrition: JMS has been an active member of the Right to Food Campaign in Karnataka. The campaign for universal PDS, proper functioning of the system, accountability etcwere the issues that JMS raised earlier. During 2011-2012, the issue of undernutrition among children was highlighted in Raichur. Regular vigilance at the local level, identifying the undernourished children, monitoring by sanchalakis etc. have improved the functioning of the centers.

    Right to work :Right to work and adequate wages has been one of the important aspects of JMS campaigns, JMS being the collective of women agricultural labourers. Since the year 2000 JMS has raised been part of collective mass actions in the district demanding effective implementation of of NREGS. Being a drought hit area,Raichur is one of the districts having massive outmigration of labour. The efforts of JMS towards making right to work a reality.In 2002 three days struggle to get work under ‘food for work’ under drought mitigation scheme which resulted in getting work for 300 people for a week.

    From the year 2002 to 2005 struggle against the mechanized harvesting,the mechanized harvesters employed in harvesting paddy reduced the days of work for agricultural labourers. The agricultural labourers had to bargain hard for Rs.600/- per acre for harvesting and threshing the paddy. With the harvesting machines, the rate per acerage was decreasing. JMS carried on the campaign against the mechanized harvesting for three years. The campaign included awareness in the villages, petitions to Tehashildars and the District administration. In the year 2004, as a result of the campaign, the district administration banned the entry of the harvesting machines in the entire district. The people then got wages worth Rs.1500 per acre and more number of days in the entire district.

    “Joint Action Committee”- A collective effort at NREGA implementation: Joint Action Committee was formed at Raichur for effective implementation of NREGA and to controlling corruption. JMS has been an active partner in this effort undertaken campaign to raise people’s issues and to struggle for people’s rights. JMS also organised 100 days social audit. Inspected the works claimed to be done under NREGA information was obtained by visiting households. The JMS sanchalakis and the team members took up trainings in villages seriously.In number of villages coming under the Manvi and Sindhanur talukas, JMS sanchalakis organized meetings, trainings and capacity building on NREGA to take action at the local people.

    Right To Education: Chilipili Child Labourers Special School.

    Jagrutha Mahila Sanghatan is a collective of Dalit Women Agricultural Laborers in Raichur district, Karnataka State of India. It is a People’s Organization which the Dalit Women formed for increasing their collective social bargaining power, asserting their rights with dignity and empowerment. This collectivization process has created a platform for the Dalit Women of Raichur District to address their issues through collective political consciousness and collective strength to address issues relating to their own entitlement and dignity. This process also addressed another important issue- that of liberating their own children from child labour and bonded labour. This was towards preparing a generation of Dalit children who are also capable of addressing issues of injustice and inequity that their families especially their mothers face.

    Raichur district has more than 50,000 child laboures (children out of school) and many of the children are into ‘pledged’/’forced’ labour, a form of bonded labour. JMS realized quite early that due to number of factors, the children of the women in Sanghatan were working as child labourers in the farms of the land lords. Hence the child labourers school was started much early in the year 2000. The school named ‘Chilipili Child Labourers’ Special School’, used the pedagogy of conscientising education of Paulo Freire and the schools were shifted from village to village every two years, training and mainstreaming children from surrounding villages. This has been recognized as one of the model schools in the district by the National Child Labour Project and has been converted as residential schools since 2007. The objective was to create a space, ‘to be’ , ‘to dream’ , and to hope for the children. . The school was set up in the Dalit settlements to make it acceptable to the community, in their own community halls. This is an added opportunity to mould the lives of child labourers and give them hope and lives of dignity. These children have redefined and redesigned education in Chilipili school as education for life.

    Details of the Children mainstreamed in to Government schools from the Chilipili Child laborers special schools

    Sl. No

    Year

    Village

    No of children attending

    No of students mainstreamed

    Boys

    Girls

    Total

    1

    2000-2001

    Markadinni

    50

    9

    11

    20

    2

    2001-2002

    Thoranadinni

    50

    8

    12

    20

    3

    2002-2003

    Thadakal

    50

    5

    21

    26

    4

    2003-2005

    Byagavata

    50

    14

    24

    38

    5

    2005-2007

    Bagalavada

    50

    19

    19

    38

    6

    2007

    (June–Dec)

    UmboliHosur

    (6 months)

    50

    50

    7

    2008-2009

    Potnal

    50

    7

    7

    11

    8

    2009-2010

    Potnal

    50

    23

    23

    50

     

     

    Total

    400

    85

    117

    215



    Promoting Livelihood Initiatives Through Chiguru:

    Chiguru is a co-operative enterprise set up by JMS to develop supplementary sources of income for the rural poor in Raichur district.Chiguru has always been ‘a new shoot’ of hope and new life at JMS. Chiguru supports initiatives that:

    • have high employment generating potential and are labour-intensive

    • use natural, locally available resources

    • promote community health and wellbeing

    • promote co-operatives that are operated and sustained completely by rural women

    • increase economic self-reliance by finding suitable alternatives to products that cause high indebtedness among rural communities

    The Terracotta Unit (comprising of 15 women) launched in 2001, has had a turn-over of about Rs. 3 lakh and they have added quite innovative items to their jewellery. The women travelled to Delhi, Hyderabad, Chennai and Bangalore to participate in various exhibition cum sale events. The neem fertiliser unit, consists of 15 women, who every year prepare organic neem fertiliser and they have created a linkage with the farmers who purchase it for their farms. It is a very healthy relationship between agricultural labourers and farmers. They had a turn-over of 4 lakhs. The new additions to the productions were the bio-compost and vermin-compost. The neem fertiliser unit of Chiguru has ventured to purchase one-and-a- half acre land for their enterprise. They mobilised part of their resources from their savings and from the bank as loan. For the Dalit women who are landless, this was an important milestone in their journey and JMS supported this process.

    The Chiguru herbal health care initiative was started by JMS to train the members in the identification of healing plants, diagnosis of common ailments and preparation and administration of herbal medicines. These ‘Sangathan doctors’ effectively meet the primary health care needs of their families and communities through low cost natural remedies. Chiguru’s most popular products are such as Neem leaf oil,Vatanivaraka Pain Oil ,Thalispatradi Choornam, etc.

    TRAINING FOR NORTH KARNATKA ACTIVISTS ON SPECIAL COMPONENT PLAN :

    JagruthaMahilaSanghatan (JMS) hosted the state level training for activists from the field on Special Component Plan (SCP) and Tribal Sub-Plan (TSP) which are now known as SC Special Plan (SCCP) and ST Welfare Plan (STWP) on 13th & 14th January, 2012 at JMS training centre at Pothnal, Raichur. The training in which 44 activists from districts of Bagalkote, Koppal, Chitradurga and Raichur participated was organised by Thamate (Tumkur) and Mahaadiga Network with the support of Indian Social Institute, Bangalore and Human Institution Development Forum, Bangalore. The discussions included the historical background and the critical importance of SCP to the welfare of SC/ST communities.

    Suggestions:

    • Meetings, orientation programs, workshops and seminars may be organized where the members will get a chance to exchange their views and be able to develop their group strength by interactions.

    • Active intervention by district administration, professional bodies and voluntary organizations is precondition for the successful conception of empowerment through the micro finance in terms of skill training, asset building, enhancing decision making skills related to children, monetary issues, increasing literacy rate family planning awareness and girl child awareness can be created.

    Conclusion:

    The new millennium has thrown many challenges and new issues have to be addressed to effect social and economic progress of our nation. The most important one is women’s empowerment through self help groups. Processes of Jagrth Mahila Sangathan has undoubtedly begun to make a significant contribution in poverty alleviation and empowerment of poor, especially dalit women in rural areas of Raichur district who bear the burden of inequity in three fold way- as Dalits(i.e.caste), as women(gender), agricultural labourers(class).The important element of women’s leadership at the local level in community processes, in conflict resolution, in discussions and decision making has grown. The administration either in MGNREGA, ICDS, Panchayats now negotiates withwomen and recognizes them as leaders which is a significant process in JMS. In this regard investment in women’s capabilities and empowering them to achieve their choices and opportunities is the definite way to contribute to economic growth and overall development.

    References :

    • Dasgupta.R “An Informal Journey through Self Help Groups” Indian Journal of Agriculture Economic, Vol.56, July-September, 2001.

    • Ravi V. and S.Ramesh “Impact Of Microfinance On Socio – Economic Status after joining SHG in Karnataka : A case Study”, Southern Economist , Vol 52, March 2014.

    • B. Siddappa “Self Help Groups in Karnataka: An assessment”, Southern Economist, Vol52 , September 2013.

    • P.K. Bhargava, N.V.Rajeshwari, R.V.Deshpande, V.B.Joshi (2005),”Evolution Of Community Monitoring Project in Rachur and Gulbarga districts, Karnataka”, PRC report No 141,population Research centreand JSS Institute Of economic Research, Dharwad.

    • Arunachalam Ramesh.S (2011) ,”The Journey Of Indian Micro Finance:Lessons For the Future”,Aapti publications,Chennai.

     

    SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT IN A GLOBALISING WORLD: ISSUES AND POLICY IMPLICATIONS


    Asha.D. M.

    Assistant Professor, Dept. of Economics, Government Women’s College, Mandya-571401


    Abstract

    This paper explains on the present, most important challenges of sustainable development viz Poverty and Population; Health and Education; Women empowerment; Finance and Trade; Science and Technology; Managing natural resources, pollution and climate change; Human security, terrorism, violence and conflict. The paper concludes that the world has made real progress in achieve sustainable development in the last 20 years. There is, however, far more to do in ensuring that the benefits of growth are distributed equitably, particularly in fast-growing middle income countries (MICs) like India. There are also big risks, including shocks in the world economy, potentially significant challenges of civil conflict and fragility, long-term resource scarcities and climate change. Policy needs to engage with change, focusing on the local, national and international level to achieve sustainable development globally.


    Introduction:

    Globalization as it is taking place today is increasing the divide between the rich and the poor. It has to be steered so that it serves not only commercial interests but also the social needs of development. Global business thrives on, and therefore encourages and imposes, high levels of homogeneity in consumer preferences. On the other hand, for development to be locally appropriate and sustainable, it must be guided by local considerations which lie in cultural diversity and traditions. Therefore recognition at the policy level, of the significance of diversity, and the need to preserve it, is an important precondition for sustainable development.

    According to the classical definition given by the United Nations World Commission on Environment and Development in 1987, development is sustainable if it “meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” It is usually understood that this “intergenerational” equity would be impossible to achieve in the absence of present-day social equity, if the economic activities of some groups of people continue to jeopardize the well-being of people belonging to other groups or living in other parts of the world.

    For example, emissions of greenhouse gases, generated mainly by highly industrialized countries, lead to global warming and flooding of certain low-lying islands—resulting in the displacement and impoverishment of entire island nations. Or consider the situation when higher profits of pharmaceutical companies are earned at the cost of millions of poor people being unable to afford medications needed for treating their life-threatening diseases.

    The famous Rio Declaration, adopted by the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development in 1992 (also called the Earth Summit, held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), puts sustainable development in this way: “Human beings are at the center of concern for sustainable development. They are entitled to a healthy and productive life in harmony with nature.”

    “Sustainable” development could probably be otherwise called “equitable and balanced,” meaning that, in order for development to continue indefinitely, it should balance the interests of different groups of people, within the same generation and among generations, and do so simultaneously in three major interrelated areas–economic, social, and environmental (Figure.1).

    Figure.1: Relation between economic, social, and environmental factors necessary for sustainable economic development.

    Challenges and Opportunities:

    Obviously, balancing so many diverse objectives of sustainable development is an enormous challenge for any country. For instance, how would you compare the positive value of greater national security with the negative value of slower economic growth? When these consequences are negative, the situation is sometimes referred to as “exporting unsustainability.” The challenge is further complicated by the fact that in today’s interdependent world many aspects of sustainable development are in fact international or even global.

    • Poverty and Population

    • Health and Education

    • Women empowerment

    • Finance and Trade

    • Science and Technology

    • Managing natural resources, pollution and climate change

    • Human security, terrorism, violence and conflict

    Poverty and Population:

    Twenty years ago extreme poverty was the norm in many regions. In Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa more than half of the population lived on less than $1.25 in 1990 (Melamed, 2012). Between a quarter and half of all children in the two regions were underweight, and in Africa only half of all children were in school. Things are different, and better, in 2012, although an unacceptably large number of people still suffer from extreme poverty. While extreme income poverty has been slow to decline in some areas, particularly Africa, it has shrunk to affect well under half of the population in Asia.

    Reductions in East Asia in particular have been striking. Social indicators have improved at a faster rate. The proportion of children underweight has fallen to between one and two-fifths. Three quarters of children in Africa are now in school, and well over 90% in most of Asia. Globally, there has been progress on all of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). There has been enough progress on the targets related to three MDGs to meet the goals at a global level: on income poverty, gender parity in primary education and water. Three targets will be nearly met: nutrition, primary school completion and child mortality. Just one (maternal mortality) continues to lag very far behind the target

    The people who have not benefitted from progress are not distributed randomly within countries. They tend to be from ethnic minorities, and/or to live in remote areas, and/or to be from religious groups that suffer discrimination. Disability is another common and widely ignored source of inequality: UNESCO estimates that one-third of the approximately 75 million children who do not attend school suffer some disability (UNESCO, 2008). Women and girls often fare worse than men and boys within these marginalised groups. A growing number of those trapped in poverty are likely to be chronically poor, and to be poor because of discrimination and exclusion as much as because of a society-wide lack of opportunity.

    The official realization, that population is not merely about numbers but about the health and quality of life of people in general and women in particular, must be reinforced and sustained by an informed debate to bring key population issues into ever sharpening perspective at various levels of policy making from the national and state legislatures to local government institutions.

    There is need for a better and more widespread understanding that the number of children desired by any couple depends on a large and complexly interrelated number of socio-economic and cultural factors, and that any policy action seeking to control population must seriously take all these variables into account.

    Health and Education:

    Human health in its broadest sense of physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing is to a great extent dependent on the access of the citizen to a healthy environment. For a healthy, productive and fulfilling life every individual should have the physical and economic access to a balanced diet, safe drinking water, clean air, sanitation, environmental hygiene, primary health care and education. Access to safe drinking water and a healthy environment should be a fundamental right of every citizen.

    Citizens of developing countries continue to be vulnerable to a double burden of diseases. Traditional diseases such as malaria and cholera, caused by unsafe drinking water and lack of environmental hygiene, have not yet been controlled. In addition, people are now falling prey to modern diseases such as cancer and AIDS, and stress-related disorders. Many of the widespread ailments among the poor in developing countries are occupation-related, and are contracted in the course of work done to fulfil the consumption demands of the affluent, both within the country and outside.

    Notable progress towards the eradication or elimination of various major infectious diseases has been made. For example, the annual incidence of polio has fallen from an estimated 350,000 cases in 1988 (the start of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative), to an estimated maximum of 20,000 in 1999. The number of polio-infected countries fell from 125 to 30 over that period; the remaining infected countries are concentrated in parts of sub-Saharan Africa and the Indian subcontinent — particularly in areas with low routine immunization coverage, poor sanitation or where conflict is prevalent.

    The strong relationship between health and the state of the environment in developing countries is becoming increasingly evident. This calls for greater emphasis on preventive and social medicine, and on research in both occupational health and epidemiology. Because of the close link, there needs to be greater integration between the ministries of Health and Environment, and effective coordination and cooperation between them. Basic health and educational facilities in developing countries need to be strengthened. The role of public health services must give preventive health care equal emphasis as curative health care. People should be empowered through education and awareness to participate in managing preventive health care related to environmental sanitation and hygiene.

    The paramount importance of education in effecting social change is recognized. Mainstream education must now be realigned to promote awareness, attitudes, concerns and skills that will lead to sustainable development.

    Basic education which promotes functional literacy, livelihood skills, understanding of the immediate environment and values of responsible citizenship is a precondition for sustainable development. Such education must be available to every child as a fundamental right, without discrimination on the basis of economic class, geographical location or cultural identity.

    Adequate resources and support for education for sustainable development are essential. An understanding must be promoted among key decision makers of the potential of education to promote sustainability, reduce poverty, train people for sustainable livelihoods and catalyze necessary public support for sustainable development initiatives.

    Finance and trade:

    Classical economists consistently identified three sources and components of national wealth: land, labor, and capital. By contrast, Western economists of the 20th century preferred to focus on capital, understood to be human-made physical capital only—the stock of structures and equipment used for production.

    Thus expenses aimed at adding to this stock were the only expenses categorized as investment. Most other expenses, such as those for education or for environmental protection, were considered to constitute consumption and treated as deductions from potential capital accumulation.

    A better understanding of the need for sustainable development first led to attempts to “green” national accounts that is, to account for changes in natural capital in calculations of gross domestic product and gross national product—then to the development of statistical methods to account for changes in a country’s human capital.

    Although valuation methods for natural and human capital are still imperfect, they allow experts to explore some critical development issues. These include the changing composition of a country’s national wealth and operational indicators of sustainable or unsustainable development.

    Environmental and social clauses which are implicitly or explicitly part of international agreements must not be used selectively to erect trade barriers against developing countries. Developing countries will suffer a major trade disadvantage if the efforts to put in place globally acceptable Process and Production Methods (PPMs) are successful. Instead, existing disparities between the trade regimes and multilateral environmental agreements, such as those between Trade Related Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) regime and the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), should be thoroughly addressed. Mechanisms to resolve such conflicts between multilateral agreements should be set up.

    Science and Technology:

    Science and technology are considered amongst the most effective means to enhance growth and socio-economic development of nations. Technological development has a profound and long-term impact on income distribution, economic growth, employment, trade, environment, industrial structure and defence and security matters. The acquisition and use of science and technology (S&T) are critical for the achievement and sustenance of food security, as well as the promotion of public health and environmental quality.

    The importance of science and technology to modern societies, and the role of a technologically educated population in promoting social and economic development, has long been recognised. At the same time, ‘modernisation’, if not properly managed, can exacerbate risk and its unequal social and geographical distribution can also widen disparities in personal incomes and well-being.

    Technology transfer must be informed by an understanding of its implications in the social, economic and environmental contexts of the receiving societies. Technologies must be usable by and beneficial to local people. Where possible, existing local technologies must be upgraded and adapted to make them more efficient and useful. Such local adaptations should also lead to the up gradation of local technical skills.

    Greater capacity needs to be built in science and technology through improved collaboration among research institutions, the private sector, NGOs and government. Collaborations and partnerships between and among scientists, government and all stakeholders, on scientific research and development and its widespread application need to be improved.

    Local innovations and capacity building for developing and managing locally relevant and appropriate technologies must be encouraged and supported. Integrating highly-sophisticated modern technology with traditional practices sometimes produces the most culturally-suited and acceptable solutions, which also makes them more viable. This trend should be encouraged.

    Empowerment of women

    Women play a particularly important role in home life, caring for children and the elderly, cooking and cleaning, contributing to household income, and, in many instances, managing household resources. Women are also significant actors in civic activities that lead to improvements in community conditions such as water, sanitation, garbage removal and other essential services. Meeting women’s needs, therefore, is crucial to improving family health and wellbeing. Longitudinal research of Rio De Janeiro (1969-2004) found an inverse relationship between number of children and socio-economic status. The higher the degree of choice and educational attainment for women, the lower their birth rates, and the higher the well-being of their children. Although the research did not test for the direction of causality (whether more educated and affluent women choose smaller families or the choice to have fewer children leads to greater affluence), it did find that smaller families can provide better nutrition, care and educational opportunities to their children.

    In many cultures, Women are at greater risk of gender-based violence (GBV) owing to the break-down in cultural mores that govern relations between the sexes and the lower likelihood that neighbor would intervene. Domestic violence, rape and sexual assault, forced trafficking, and verbal threats are the most common forms of GBV, and usually leave women feeling guilty and fearful. Owing to the private nature of GBV, it is difficult to research, yet new studies are shedding light on its dynamics.

    Women are under-represented as advocates, professionals and elected and appointed municipal officials. Even in Indian contexts, where women often have economic power through market activities, women rarely have political power. Thus, women’s voices need to be hear d, particularly in the context of health systems and urban planning (see premises 3 and 4 below). The overall legal framework concerning women’s rights in domestic relations is also vitally important, and is given further attention.

    An important part of empowering women in matters pertaining to population is to explicitly recognize and respect their rights over their bodies and their reproductive behaviour. The empowerment of women and girls must be supported by actions to improve their access to basic and higher education, training and capacity building. The emphasis should be on gender mainstreaming.

    Managing natural resources, pollution and climate change

    The environmental impact of human beings has grown in scale, become more rapid, and changed in character. Whereas we once transformed locales or regions, today we can be said to be transforming the Earth on a global scale. Changes which once took decades or centuries are now taking place over the course of a few years. And whereas we once changed the Earth in relatively small ways (for example by clearing a field of forest cover), we are now able to substantially alter the flows of elements and energy that constitute the planet's basic life-support systems.

    Through burning fossil fuels and industrial processes, we are releasing many pollutants into the atmosphere. Some of these reduce air quality, whilst others are most probably causing a change in the Earth's climate. Other wastes from the consumption of natural resources can pollute soil and water environments as well.

    By 2030, the world will need at least 50% more food, 45% more energy and 30% more water (High Level Panel on Global Sustainability, 2012). Almost one quarter (23%) of the substantial increase in crop production achieved over the past four decades was due to the expansion of arable land. Agriculture accounts for about 70% of water withdrawals, while water extraction from rivers and lakes has doubled since 1960 (Turral et al., 2011). Only 13% of global energy comes, at present, from renewable sources, but the imperative of emissions reduction means that renewable energy must increase, with consequences for both land and water resources.

    As highlighted by the Secretary General’s High Level Panel on Global Sustainability, our challenge is ‘to eradicate poverty, reduce inequality and make growth inclusive, and production and consumption more sustainable, while combating climate change and respecting other planetary boundaries’ (High Level Panel on Global Sustainability, 2012).

    It is important to note that it is the poor and powerless who are most vulnerable to the negative impacts of climate change (whether from biophysical events such as droughts and cyclones – or from the unintended consequences of mitigation policies that can negatively impact the poor, such as bio fuels). The protection of their assets (whether land and land-based natural resources in rural areas or housing in urban areas) is a critical element.

    Human security, terrorism, violence and conflict

    Links between development, peace and human security are complex, dynamic and permanently changing; however they are based on general permanent mechanisms. These have developed throughout history and are therefore present in the actual situation and interactions of the world society.

    Over the past decade the threat of inter-state conflict has reached historically low levels, suggesting that this is an era of unprecedented peace and security. But this is only a partial picture. Security issues are very high on the development agenda, particularly civil conflict, terrorism, trans-national criminal networks, and some forms of social violence (e.g.urban gangs).

    To face this complexity it is necessary to develop a multidisciplinary approach that outlines present results, and based on historical experience, permits some future perspectives of development. Following Significant lessons for development practice include the need to recognise:

    • The importance of understanding context and the complexity of relationships, interests, perceptions and incentives in conflict situations (although ability to do this effectively does not follow on automatically from recognition of the issue)

    • The importance of sustainable governance transitions as a basis for development following fracture and conflict. Political arrangements need to be inclusive and durable enough to allow progress

    • that getting markets moving (through small, local enterprises) is critical to build social cohesion and sustainable development

    • that tackling persistent and chronic inequalities between social groups (including gender inequality) really matters for social cohesion and long-term sustainable development

    • that tackling trans-national threats to development through illegal trafficking is a high priority for sustainable development.

    Conclusion:

    Sustainability has gained much importance since 1960 and it can be studied in respect to ecology, economy, and society. Ecological sustainability includes conservation of natural capital by using resilience of natural ecosystems as sinks; and by evaluating spatial distribution of human activities, and of rural-urban configurations. Economic sustainability means the efficiency of economic systems (institutes, policies, rules) to insure continuous socially equitable quantitative and qualitative progress. However, while the term “sustainability” has been in use for a long time, it is difficult to translate it into reality. In practice, any step towards sustainability of products, process or services poses an enormous challenge as it requires action in several directions and in various sectors.

    References:

    • Assefa, R.A., and Frostell, B., 2006, Social sustainability and social acceptance in technology assessment: A case study in energy technology. Techn. in Society, 29(2007), 63-78.

    • Brenna,M.,Foidelli,F., and Rosscia, M.,2007, Sustainabilility of energy indicators by using fuzzy logic.IEEE,7p. International Journal for Sustainable Innovations, Vol.1, No.1, January, 2011 35

    • Holden,J.P.(editorial).,2007, Energy and sustainability., Science, vol.315, 9th Feb. 07, p.737.

    • Issar, A.S., 2008, Progressive development of arid environment: adapting the concept of sustainable development to a changing world. Hydrogeology Journal,16: 1229-1231.

    • Letcher,R.A. and Giupponi,C.,(editorial), Plans and tools for sustainable water management in the European Union. Envl. Modelling & Software,20(2005),p.93-95.

    • Manahan,S.E., 2007, Environmental Science and Technology: A sustainable approach to green science & technology (3rd edn). CRC Press,Boca Raton, FL., 646p.

    • Sahu,B.K., 2006, Allocation and pricing policy for groundwater resources.(p.437-443). In: Romani,S. et.al. editors., Groundwater Ownership and Governance. Capital Publ. Co., New Delhi, 514p.

    • Sahu, B.K., 2007, Evaluation of water pollution risks from single/multiple contaminants/pollutants using statistical methods.(p.200-205),

    • Warhurst,A.R., and Norhona,L., 2000, Environmental Policy in Mining: Corporate Strategy and Planning for Mine Closure. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fl., 513p.


    The Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and Selected Socio Demographic Variables of Teachers- a review article


    Savitha.L* & Dr.Vijayalaxmi.A.H.M**

    *PhD research scholar

    **Associate professor, Smt. VHD Central institute of Home science, Sheshadri road, Bangalore-01


    Abstract

    The conventional teaching just impart knowledge or fill students' brains with facts, but today’s educators also having a broader role of shaping students skills to manage their emotions, resolve conflict nonviolently, and make responsible decisions. In brief they develop subject intelligence as well as emotional intelligence of students. Teachers must possess the vital skills, personality characteristics and behaviors that students perceive to impact their motivation to learn. In such circumstances teachers working under educational institutions need to familiarize and practice Emotional Intelligence in their job setting. Recent research suggests that emotional intelligence is found to be significantly influencing the teaching effectiveness. Teaching effectiveness varies with qualification, experience, age, gender and other demographic characteristics.Hence thepresent study attempts to understand the impact of these variables on the emotional intelligence levels of the teachers. Numerous research studies related to the topic have been collected and reviewed thoroughly. Reviews revealed that From the reviews studied by the researcher it is observed that the relationship between the demographic variablesviz age, gender, socio economic status, educational qualification, teaching experience, locality and emotional intelligence among teachers is not clear as some of the research studies depict that these variables do have an influence on EI of teachers whereas others contradict.

    Keywords- Emotional intelligence;Socio demographic variables-teachers-age- gender- teaching experience


    Introduction

    Efficient teaching and good learning are the two most important factors for success in academia.

    Over the century the role of teachers in a child's education has fundamentally changed. On theone hand, teachers are being exhorted to ‘deliver’ a tightly prescribed, one-size-fits-all curriculum, administer pre-packaged tests and rate children and young people according to levels and grades in prescribed subjects. The emphasis is firmly on the pragmatic, the practical and the measurable. On the other, there is an increasing emphasis on the more effective aspects of education, on personal and social development, on understanding what makes children and young people become effective learners and on personalizingtheir learning experiences. The emphasis is shifting towards the emotional wellbeingof individuals and schools, on feelings as well as facts.

    Nevertheless teachers have been trained with the knowledge, attitudes, behaviors and skills they require to perform their tasks effectively in the classroom, but they never have been, and still aren't being prepared well in how to deal with the challenges of being in classroom. They are largely left to their own devices in how to manage what goes on inside their own heads when challenges arise in the classroom, and typically fall back on what they learned from their own upbringing and education, which could be good or bad. That's why such a wide range of emotional and behavioral responses from teachers to the same challenges students present them with.

    The emotional state of both teachers and learners affects the children attention,focus, perception,the time spent on tasks and their academic performance.Jennings & Greenberg andRoeser, 1999) state that Socially and emotionally competent teachers set the tone of theclassroom by developing supportive and encouraging relationships with their students,designing lessons that build on student strengths and abilities, establishing and implementing behavioral guidelines in ways that promote intrinsic motivation, coaching students through conflict situations, encouraging cooperation among students and acting as a role model for respectful and appropriate communication and exhibitions of prosocial behavior.

    These teacher behaviors are associated with optimal social and emotional classroom climate and desired student outcomes. An optimal classroom climate is characterized by low levels of conflict and disruptive behavior, smooth transitions from one type of activity to another, appropriate expressions of emotion, respectful communication and problem solving, strong interest and focus on task, and supportiveness and responsiveness to individual differences and students’ needs (La Paro&Pianta, 2003).

    When teachers lack the resources to effectively manage the social and emotional challenges within the particular context of their school and classroom, children show lower levels of on-task behavior and performance (Marzano, Marzano, & Pickering,2003). In addition, the classroom climate deteriorates, triggering in the teacher what refer to as a “burnout cascade.” The deteriorating climate is marked by increases in troublesome student behaviors, and teachers become emotionally exhausted as they try to manage them. Under these conditions, teachers may resort to reactive and excessively punitive responses that do not teach self-regulation and may contribute to a self-sustaining cycle of classroom disruption (Osher et al., 2007).

    Emotionally exhausted teachers are at risk of becoming cynical and callous and may eventually feel they have little to offer or gain from continuing, and so drop out of the teaching workforce. Others may stay—although unhappily—coping by maintaining a rigid classroom climate enforced by hostile and sometimes harsh measures bitterly working at a suboptimal level of performance until retirement. In either case,burned-out teachers and the learning environments they create can have harmful effects on students. This science of emotions is very new, and schools are just now beginning to understand how emotions impact students’learning and well-being. Recognizing ones emotions and using them effectively is termed as emotional intelligence.Salovey and Mayer (2000)defined Emotional intelligence (EI) as the ability to monitor one's own and other people's emotions, to discriminate between different emotions and label them appropriately, and to use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior.

    For teachers, emotional intelligence skills are imperative not only for their personal well-being but to improve student learning.  According to Patricia Jennings and Mark Greenberg, leading scientists in the field of social-emotional learning, teachers who possess social-emotional competencies (SEC) are less likely to experience burnout because they’re able to work more effectively with challenging students—one of the main causes of burnout. But emotional intelligence is the unrecognized component of what a teacher has to offer to learners (Mortiboys, 2005). A good teacher needs an understanding of individual and group motivation and behavior to create a learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement and the motivation to learn. According to neuroscience, the neural connection between the thinking and emotional centers of the brain can either enhance or inhibit a person’s ability to learn (Davidson, 2000; Cacioppo&Berntson, 2009). Studies have also shown that emotions can activate and stimulate the brain for better recall (Cahill, Prins, Weber, &McGaugh, 1994; Dalgleish, 2004) and are crucial to sensory development because they facilitate the storage and recall of information (Rosenfield, 1988). Therefore teachers must understand the emotions of the students and act accordingly. This helps in creating a positive learning environment and motivating students for better performance because how a person learns is as important as what he/she learns.

    Research on emotional intelligence with regard to certain teacher’s demographicfactors such as age, sex, locale and socio economic status has been reportedwidely. Numerous studies were intended to find out the impact ofdemographic variables on emotional intelligence of teachers. However,these studies don’t reach to similar conclusions but, have reported thesignificance of demographic variables in studying emotional intelligence of teachers.Some of the reviews in this context are discussed in the following pages.

    Aim : To study the influence of socio demographic variables on emotional intelligence of teachers

    Objectives

    • To understand the relationship between age and emotional intelligence of teacher.

    • To understand the relationship of between gender and emotional intelligence of teachers

    • To study the influence socio economic status/ income on emotional intelligenceof teachers

    • To learn the influence of teachers work experience and qualification on their emotional intelligence

    Methodology

    Initially a literature survey was carried out to collect research studies related to emotional intelligence of teachers. Several research studies related to emotional intelligence of teachers and demographic variables were collected from various sources like, books, journals, online publications, etc. The collected articles were reviewed and were grouped under different headings. The articles categorized based on influence of age, gender, economic status, etc. are discussed under results and discussions.

    Results and discussions

    Age:

    Several research studies have been conducted to find out the relation between age and emotional intelligence of teachers. One of the pioneer in research on EI, Goleman (1996) have also stated that emotional intelligence increases with age and it can be learned, cultivated and increased in adulthood. In a series of longitudinal studies, it was shown that people can change their EI competencies over two to five years.

    Goleman (1995), Tyagi (2004) carried out a research to measure the emotional intelligence and its relation with age among secondary school teachers,and found that the level of emotional intelligence is low and independent of age.A study on relationship between emotional intelligence and agereported by Gowdhaman and Murugan (2009) among B.Ed. teacher trainees(N= 300) have revealed a significant effect of age on emotional intelligence.

    Singh, Gaurav (2009) study on Emotional Intelligence and Ageof Secondary School Teachers revealed that, the emotional intelligence of secondary schoolteachers differed significantly in relation to their age difference and it also had beenobserved that on the aspects like self awareness, emotional stability, managing relation,integrity and self-development, teachers with age group of 30 years and above aremuch better, whereas on the aspects like self-motivation, commitment and altruisticbehavior, the teachers with age group less than 30 years have greater mean value.The study also stated that there was no significant difference on empathy and value orientation aspects ofemotional intelligence between teachers of age group less than 30 years and with agegroup 30 years and above.

    Mayer et al.,(1999) asserted that in order for emotional intelligence to be considered a standard intelligence, it should increase with age and experience. Rooy et al., (2005) examined the relationship between emotional intelligence and age using the 33-item Emotional Intelligence Scale. There was a significant positive correlation between emotional intelligence and age.

    Fariselli et al.,(2007) have conducted a study on 405 people in the age group of 22-70,for predicting if age is a significant variable which impacts emotional intelligence level.It was found that emotional intelligence is significantly correlated to age(i.e. with increase in age, there is increase in emotional intelligence level. The relation was r=.13, p<.01 showing that though the prediction is slight, but is significant. Whereas Celgk and Dengz(2008) concluded that no significant relationship between age and emotional intelligence.

    Gender:

    In the context of EI and socio-demographic variables, gender can be identified as the most commonly studied variables. Generally, women are believed to have more skills than men with respect to emotional forte. This can also supported by the study on EI ability and demonstrated higher EI ratings for women in total EI and most subdomains of EI (Ciarrochi et al., 2000; Extremera et al., 2006; Mayer et al., 1999)

    Perry et al. (2004) was found that femalesreported significantly higher emotional intelligence than did men. Some of studies indicate that in some competencies male seem to be higher whereas females fare better in some other competencies. e.g males were more self-confident ,optimistic whereas female possessed more self-awareness, demonstrate more empathy. However Sigaravelu (2007), Celgk and Dengz (2008), Cakan and Altun (2005)reported that gender was not significant. Kumar and Pandey (2009) conducted a comparative study on managementprofessional and teacher educators on emotional intelligence.The findings of the study were: (i) there was no significant difference in theemotional intelligence of male and female professionals of management. (ii) there wasno significant difference in the emotional intelligence of male and female professionalsof teacher education. (iii) male management professionals had been found to be moreemotionally intelligent than female teacher education professionals. (iv) there was nosignificant difference between female professionals of management and teachereducation.

    An exploratory examination of emotionalintelligence among elementary school science carried out by Okech (2004) reveals that there existed a significant positive relationship between EI and teacher gender. In contrast to this Pathan’s (2004) reseach study on Emotional intelligence of secondaryteachers at D.Ed. College, Navapur, Maharashtra, whichindicatedthat nearly all the teachers under study were under ‘low’ category of emotionalintelligence. There was no significant difference between the emotionalintelligence of males and females, and the age was independent of EI.

    However, Amritha and Kadhiravan (2006) found that gender, influenced the emotional intelligence of school teachers.Gowdhaman and Murugan (2009) have also been reported asignificant effect of gender on emotional intelligence, in their study among300 B.Ed teacher trainees. In contrast,SreekalaEdannur’s (2010) review article on “Emotional Intelligence of Teacher Educators” found out that the group under the study possessed average Emotional Intelligence and gender of the teacher educators do not make any differential influence on their Emotional Intelligence.Pathan Young (2004) study on emotional intelligence of secondaryteachers at D.Ed. College, Navapur, Maharashtra, revealed that 98.4% teachers had low level ofemotional intelligence and there was no significant difference between emotionalintelligence of males and females. Rajwinder Kaur and Jyotika Gupta (2006) conducted a study on emotionalintelligence among prospective teaches.The findings of the study were: (i) 9% male and 22% female B.Ed.students with high EI. ; 6% male and 12% female B.Ed. students have low EI and male and female students differed significantly on self – management dimension ofEI, while arts and science stream students differed on social skills dimension of EI.Whereas MohanaSundaram (2004) study on emotional intelligence andachievement of teacher trainees at primary level revealed that men and women teacher trainees did notdiffer in their emotional intelligence.

    The study on ‘Adaptation of an emotional intelligence scale for Turkish educator’ was done by Cakan and Altun (2005). The results indicated a non significant gender effect on the scores, suggesting that gender was not a determining factor for emotional intelligence. IlhanAdilogullari (2011) concluded that teachers' emotional intelligence levels and gender do not have any significant relation. The above studies on emotional intelligence and gender were not conclusive, whether males or females were higher on emotional intelligence. Therefore some researchers recommended that further studies explore the relationship between gender and emotional intelligence.

    Socio economic status:

    In order to find out the effect of monthly income on the level ofemotional intelligence among B.Ed. teacher trainees (N=300) Gowdhamanand Murugan (2009) have executed an empirical study and results showedthat the socio economic status or monthly income do not cause anysignificant effect on the emotional intelligence. However, to delineate the human ecological factors affecting emotionalintelligence skills of school teachers (N=60) a study was made by Duhan andChhikara (2007). Study revealed a significant association between thedevelopmental facilities (exosystem variables), provided in communitysurrounding and emotional intelligence skills of teachers. The results alsorevealed that most of the high category respondents (16.7%) were havingmore developmental facilities (i.e. hospital, bank, park, club, market etc.) intheir surroundings, whereas near about 19% (out of 28%) of low categoryrespondents were having less number of development facilities.

    Singh and Kumar (2009) have conducted a study on secondary schoolteachers of convent schools (English medium) and saraswati schools (Hindimedium) to analyze their emotional intelligence. The results indicatedthat emotional intelligence of teachers of convent schools and Saraswatischools differ significantly. It was also observed that Saraswati schoolteachers were good in Self-motivation, Value orientation and Commitmentareas whereasconvent school teachers scored good in Self-awareness, Self-development, Managing relation, Integrity, andAltruistic behaviour aspects of emotional intelligence. It also has beenobserved that there is no significant difference between teachers of conventschools and Sarawati schools on Empathy and Emotional stability aspects ofemotional intelligence.

    SingaraVelu and EzhilRanjan (2007) studied on the emotional intelligence ofstudents teachers (Pre-service) in the union territory of Puduchery.The findings of the study were(ii) student teaches who were studying in government colleges and private collegesdiffer significantly in their EI. Similarly, Lenka Samir Kumar&Ravi Kant (2013)investigated that socio economic status shows a significant effect on emotional intelligence. With high socio economic status trainee teachers has high emotional intelligence; on other hand with low socio economic status some trainee teachers has low emotional intelligence.

    Locality

    Gangal MaheshKumar, Jayotsna Singh (2012) carried out a research to study the emotional intelligence of teacher trainees of Meerut cityin relation to their gender and residential background using descriptive survey method with a sample of 201tranees. The study revealed that the Rural and urban male teacher trainees do not differ significantly in reference to their emotional intelligence, but Urban and rural female teacher trainees differ significantly in reference to their emotional intelligence.Carr (2009) has found in her study that Asian students demonstrated higher emotional intelligence total and, branch scores than white students.

    In contrast to this, Gowdhaman and Murugan (2009) study on locate effect (mentioned as community) on the emotional intelligence of 300 B.Ed. teacher trainees found that there is not any significant effect of community on the emotional intelligence.

    SingaraVelu and EzhilRanjan (2007) studied on the emotional intelligence ofstudents teachers (Pre-service) in the union territory of Puduchery.The findings of the study indicated that rural and urban student teachers differed significantly in their EI.

    Teaching experience

    Study by Kumar &Muniandy (2012) determined the relation between work experience and emotional intelligence. Kruskal-Wallis test on the effect of working experience as a lecturer towards emotional intelligence revealed a significant difference between the groups. The results are not in accordance with other demographic profiles that recorded an increase of emotional intelligence within the increase subgroups level. The highest median value was recorded on those who have served more than 20 years, followed by the age group 11 to 15 years of working experience. The lowest level of emotional intelligence was recorded by those who have worked less than 5 years. In a study conducted by Day & Carroll (2004), experience was positively correlated with three of the four emotional intelligence scales. Shipley et al., (2010) found that Emotional intelligence positively correlates with work experience. Further it was found that work experience is a significant predictor of emotional intelligence using regression analysis.

    AfsanehGhanizadeh and FatemehMoafian (2010) conducted a study on therole of EFL teachers’ emotional intelligence in their success.The findings of the study were: (i) there was a significant relationship betweenteachers’ success and EQ. (ii) significant correlations were found between teachers’EQ, their teaching experience, and their age. And Mayer et al. (1995) found that emotional intelligence increased with experience. Jorfi et al., (2011) also found that the work experience have positive relationship with emotional intelligence. In contrast, Ameru and Tejumola (2008), Cakan and Altun (2005) concluded that experience was not related to emotional intelligence. Hence it can be said that, the studies on emotional intelligence and length of experience were not conclusive.

    Educational qualification

    Neelakamal (2007) conducted a study on emotional competence of primaryschool teachers.The findings of the study indicated that the teachershaving higher qualifications were found to have better emotional competence thanteachers having essential qualification only.

    IlhanAdilogullari (2011) study aims to examine the level of emotional intelligence of some of the demographic variables of the teachers working in the province of Gaziantep. A total of 340 teachers participated in the study whoserved in the center of Gaziantep. The study revealed that the teachers' levels of emotional intelligence and educational qualification had a significant relationship.

    Kumar &Muniandy (2012) in their paper suggest that Academic qualification and emotional intelligence are significantly related. Kruskal - Wallis test on the effect of academic qualification towards the level of emotional intelligence revealed a statistically significant difference between the academic qualifications of the lecturers. The lowest median score is recorded by those with Diploma qualification, followed by Degree, Masters and Doctoral. Therefore the level of emotional intelligence in this study increases with the increase of academic qualification.

    P. K. Paul, and N. K. Mondal (2012) studied on “Emotional Intelligence Level between Secondary School Teachers. This study tried to analyze the nature and extent of emotional intelligence among some selected secondary level school teachers of Burdwan district in West Bengal. The study covered three hundred teachers both in urban and rural areas encompassing different sex, age, teaching experiences, qualification and training. The results revealed that few factors have significantly positive impact on enhancing the level of teachers’ emotional intelligence (EI) while some are non significant on EI. Finally, the study concluded that the extent of EI among teachers’ is significantly affected by their own personality, attitude along with age

    Conclusion

    The ability to develop and nurture specificemotional intelligence properties at different phasesof learning could help to increase the intensity anddepth of one’s learning experience of emotional intelligence skills which includes, interpersonal relations, stress management, understanding ownfeelings and understanding other people's feelings, adaptation to the conditions and environmentcapabilities. In this respect, emotional intelligence is of great importance. When emotional intelligence skillsare advanced teachers are expected to be peaceful and productive social life and have a happier workenvironment. From the above review it is observed that the relationship between the demographic variablesviz age, gender, socio economic status, educational qualification , teaching experience, locality and emotional intelligence among teachers is not clear as some of the research studies depict that these variables do have an influence on EI of teachers whereas others contradict.

    References:

    • AfsanehGhanizadeh and FatemehMoafian (2010), The role of EFL teachers’ emotional intelligence in their success, ELT Journal (oxford journals), Volume 64, Issue 4, Pp. 424-435

    • Bernston, G. G., &Cacioppo, J. T. (2009), Handbook of neuroscience for the behavioral sciences. New York: John Wiley & Sons.

    • Cahill, L., Prins, B., Weber, M., &McGaugh, J. L. (1994), β-Adrenergic activation and memory for emotional events, Nature, 371, 702-704.

    • Dalgleish, T. (2004), Cognitive approaches to posttraumatic stress disorder: The evolutionof multirepresentational theorizing. Psychological Bulletin, 130, 228-260.

    • Fariselli L., Ghini M., Freedman J. (2006), “Emotional Intelligence and Age”, Retrieved from: http://www.6seconds.org/sei/wp-age.php

    • Gangal Mahesh Kumar and Jayotsna Singh (2012), study on emotional intelligence of teacher trainees of Meerut city, international journal of behaviour social and movement sciences, Vol.01, Issue02

    • IlhanAdilogullari (2011), The teachers level of emotional intelligence some of the demographic variables for investigation, Educational Research and Reviews, Vol. 6(13), pp. 786-792.

    • Jennings & Greenberg (2009), The Pro-social Classroom: Teacher Social and Emotional Competence in Relation to Student and Classroom Outcomes, sage publications,  vol. 79 no. 1491-525

    • Kaur RajwinderJyotika Gupta, , (2006), Emotional Intelligence among prospective teachers, Journal of Community Guidance & Research, Vol.23 No.2 Pp.133-140.

    • Lenka Samir Kumar & Ravi Kant,  (2013),Does Emotional Intelligence Get Affected from Some Biographical Factors- in Special Reference to Trainee Teachers? American Journal of Educational Research, 2013 1 (6), pp 216-220. 

    • SreekalaEdannur (2010) reviewed on “Emotional Intelligence of TeacherEducators”, Kamla-Raj 2010 Int J Edu Sci, 2(2): 115-12.

    • Tyagi, S.K. (2004) Emotional Intelligence of Secondary Teacher in relationto gender and age. Indian Educational Abstracts. New Delhi: NCERT.

     

    Language and Community Empowerment


    Dayananda sagar.G.S

    Assistant Professor of English, Govt. college for women, Mandya

     

    Before entering into the space of my article I would like to deal with the core part title of my article. Let me convey the meaning in which I would like to use the term ‘empower’. According to Webster’s new world dictionary means ‘to give ability or power or enable’. There are aspects as well but for my discussion I will use the above mentioned meanings. In this article English language stands as a pretext to substantiate the importance of language in empowering humankind.

    In this expeditiously changing world there are countless issues which will remain considerably dormant. In spite of immense changes otherwise , people’s ideas on development , academic affairs, medium of instruction ,society and social relationships and other global factors are ,even now unaltered. This paper lays emphasis on one main question which is whether the English language is a boon and an empowering tool of the academic classes to empower the literates. Literates are there in India and worldwide but, the question here is about literates and educated classes have been lit rated and educated through their ages old and limited speaking mother tongues. As we know we are living in multi- lingual world. The recent globalization has made the vast cosmos a global village .In this scenario, a man has to encounter other man of a different lingua franca. Then, there is a need of a unique language. But such a uniqueness in a sole language speaking is possible only through the language which has universal usage and approval. The largest speaking tongue may get approbation of the global village.

    In the modern scientific era everything is possible. What need is an attitude to accept the change and a will to open ourselves to the course of change. The words ‘community and empowerment themselves have become cliché from the concept of globalization. Every citizen on the earth has given a chance to adopt and adept the things which may empower him to get overall development. We may question why only one universal language and why can’t many languages or our own mother tongue only? It is very simple to answer as we are living among the several language speakers. But the complexity in the answer is what was the world or a particular place before the present necessity of the unique world language. If we theoretically deal with this question, we may get the contrary concepts. We can go with the theory of ‘Structuralism’ and ‘Post structuralism’. Ferdinand Saussure outlines that the language is ‘arbitrary, relational and systematic’. In which he says the meanings we attribute the words are entirely prescribed through usage and convention only. So, language is a system in itself. Language constitutes our world and our very existence .That is language which constructs the very nature of our perception of reality. Thus, literary visual, musical texts are structured like a language. In post structuralism, language is never stable. Even Jacques Derrida’s deconstruction and post structuralism give new approach to the language, narratives, and interpretations. If we speak about Gayathri Spivak, a well- known literary and cultural critic, she tells that ‘Subaltern’, who are inferior or below the status cannot speak for him /herself because the very structure of colonial power prevents the speaking. What Spivak argues that the work of intellectuals is to make visible the position of the marginalized. According to her the subaltern must be spoken ‘for’. Then what they need is a language which convinces and demands their rightful claim for the natural living.

    In the course of my paper I would desire to delineate the importance of a language. Therefore, I have used these memorable and fundamental theories literature and language in loose and somewhat in irrational usage to describe the language with. My intention is to show how the language plays an important role in signifying something out of nothing. The subaltern, who are socially and economically below the high ranks are capable to speak for themselves when they will get adequate usage of the language which fulfills their dream and desired status. The world is seeing a boon in the usage of new discoveries. But that is language which makes the boon fruitful and reachable to the every nook and the corner of the world. A language may passes, shares, expresses the ideas and feelings and experiences. It builds democracy; it creates an ideal society on basis of liberty, fraternity and equality. This is the gab or craft of language which destroys Julius Caesar and his tyranny; this is the language craftsmanship which made NarendraModi, prime minister of India. With the help of language only, innovations and communication are made possible. Young people need something to believe in. In searching of identity, they experiment with ideas, actions and devotions .This results in polarities in their behavior and thinking. These all are relation with the language which is an easy access to the contemporary world.

    Now it is the time to discuss English, as a boon to empower a community. The community in the sense a collective living of the same or for some extent similar kind of people. The empowerment of a community may not be in whole, may be in individual. As I said earlier, in the present scenario of the global and multi –lingual world English language stands as an international link language. The language must primarily be able to satisfy the speaker’s economic, educational and social requirements. It’s interesting to note that a mono- lingual individual cannot be held responsible for the death of any language. When an individual finds that one language has a competitive advantage over the other, in terms of providing better opportunities, in terms of education, employment, lifestyle, he is gravitate towards that language and that is what happening in concern with the English language in the world today. The importance of English language is naturally very great. English is the language not only of England but of the extensive dominions and colonies associated with the British Empire and it is also the language of the U.S.A.

    As a result of colonial expansion of England, English speaking nations are about a quarter of the earth’s surface. English language was the language of many nations’ transactions of nearly three or four hundred million people. The academic, political, social, and economical changes in India are the result of English education in India introduced by the British Raj. The English education was resulted for many social reforms in the orthodox Hindu religion. Many reformers from the western education had put their effort to change the course of Indian social life. The English language only that can link a remote Indian to the front part of an international frame work. English has become the language to link the people of different countries and different cultures to the one perspective. It is through English language that many are getting the opportunity to work in abroad where they are alien in respect of speaking language.

    After the British Raj in India, English was the language of upper and privileged class people. But the globalization has made it mandatory and obligation to learn the English language. Even the least concerned untouchables in India are capable to get the world language and they have been getting working opportunity in multinational companies in India and abroad. It is through English language only ,Dr. B.R. Ambedkar had succeeded to become the architect of Indian constitution and worked hard for the welfare of dalits and other downtrodden people in India. Through the individual development and empowering many social reformers, business entrepreneurs, economist and political leaders catering their knowledge and service to the whole community irrespective of castes and nation’s .English language and education has made the teachers and other professionals are enabled to practice worldwide beneficial theories and services to their respective nations and places. This is what the English language that awakes the suppressed women of India and other countries from the nightmarish of the cultural and patriarchal construct. Through the English language only the Euro-centric values became universal and deconstructed the ages old construct of women in the male dominated ; hegemonic society.

    Thus, we can conclude that language is the primary source of development and empowerment of an individual and a community in whole. It enriches and enables the people or community to changing global demands.

    References:

    1. Webster’s New world Dictionary

    2. A Course in General Linguistics (1916), Ferdinand de Saussure.

    3. Derrida and Difference, (p53), ,Cultural Studies(2008) Pramod k.Nayar.

     

    IMPACT OF RURAL ROADS ON RURAL ECONOMY - A CASE STUDY OF KOLAR DISTRICT


    Dr. BALAPPA

    Associate Professor of Economics, Government First Grade College, Chamaraja Nagar, Karnataka, India


    ABSTRACT

    There are innumerable references to the Road Policy and Road Construction in vogue in different periods in the Indian History. The excavations at Mohenjo-Daro in Sindh and Harappa in Punjab have revealed that in these cities which existed in 3,500 and 2,500 B.C. In 1943 for the first time British Government convened a Conference of Road Engineers at Nagpur which gave out a Blue Print for the Road Development in the Country, popularly called the `Nagpur Plan'. The need for rural roads for the rural economy in the third world particularly in India tends to have a crucial place in the process of socio-economic transformation for the rural masses. The study has the following specific objectives such as (1) To examine the role of rural roads in rural economy in general and agriculture in particular. (2)To examine and analyze the socio-economic development due to the rural roads. (3)To study the changes in the socio-economic levels of the rural farming families due to road and access to communication in the case study area.An attempt is made to collect primary level data by using random sampling method selecting a sample of 200 farmers, 50 families each from in four villages of Malur taluk of Kolar district. This study was undertaken to study the impact of roads on Rural Economy in four villages. With emphasis on the Socio-Economic impact before and after the construction of roads. The major findings are: (1) Marginal and small farmers are dominated in the rural sample households of farming community having the average land holding of 1.5 acres and 379 acres respectively in the study area, (2) Construction of village link road and improved transport system has direct bearing on the income generation, (3)Out of the state total length of the road rural road account for 56.1% in Karnataka(4) In Rural areas the total geographical area and the rural population show 98% and 69% respectivel.

    Keywords-Road policy, Nagpur plan, Third world, Rural Economy, Marginal Farmers


    INTRODUCTION

    There are innumerable references to the Road Policy and Road Construction in vogue in different periods in the Indian History. The excavations at Mohenjodaro in Sindh and Harappa in Punjab have revealed that in these cities which existed in 3,500 and 2,500 B.C, there were broad streets with proper drainage system. Emperor Ashoka recognized the importance of highways in the fourth century B.C. In 1943 for the first time British Government convened a Conference of Road Engineers at Nagpur which gave out a Blue Print for the Road Development in the Country, popularly called the `Nagpur Plan'. This plan clearly classified the roads in the country assessed the needs of roads for 20 years and laid down ambitious construction targets for ten years. The responsibilities of central provincial and local bodies were also clearly indicted. The modern are of Indian roads commenced from then onwards.

    The need for rural roads for the rural economy in the third world particularly in India tends to have a crucial place in the process of socio-economic-cultural transformation for the rural masses. In the emerging scenario, the need for rural roads gets prioritized due to the availability of very limited resources .In addition the rate of growth of rural roads often outstrips the population growth rate for the less developed countries seem to make up for the lost time. More so the industrial and tertiary sectors having agriculture is usually very limited the job prospects in the Public Sector are restricted for unskilled labor force to absorb due to shortage of budgetary resources and the private action measures in the ongoing economic reforms process. The continued alleles of all these phenomena envisage a serious risk of imbalance in countries like India. A concerted effort on planning the rural roads is therefore essential to anticipate and avoid these risks.

    The term road has a very wide connotation. Any stretch of land joining two termin is a road. It may be quite narrow muddy and short (as is common within villages). The Government of India appointed a One-Man Commission to make recommendations regarding the developing of rural roads in the country in the year 1967. The Committee has defined rural roads as those roads which serve predominantly the need of village and provide communication not only between one village and another but also from one village Mandy (market place) and to the main road.

    OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY

    Given the findings of some studies the major objectives of this study is to examine the impact of road development on rural population at a micro level. Taking the following are the objectives of the present study.

    1. To examine the role of rural roads in rural economy in general and agriculture in particular.

    2. To examine and analyze the socio-economic development due to the rural roads.

    3. To study the changes in the socio-economic levels of the rural farming families due to road and access to communication in the case study area.

    METHODOLOGY

    An attempt is made to collect primary level data by using random sampling method selecting a sample of 200 farmers, 50 families each from in four villages, namely, Sonappahalli, Kudenur, Nagondahalli and Baliganahalli villages of Malur taluk of Kolar district of Rural Karnataka. A structured questionnaire was prepared to canvas with the sample farmer respondents on the issues connected to them, connected to their socio-economic activities in relation to the rural road connected to their respective villages.

    RURAL ROAD DEVELOPMENT IN INDIA

    Detailed Rural Development Plans were drawn periodically and the rural road development programmes were speltout clearly in each Road Development Plan. Various schemes launched in rural areas focused the main attention of poverty alleviation through employment generation. Thus the rural road development was incidental to these programmes. In place of systematic planned development of rural roads. The latter became one of the components of various poverty alleviation programmes.

    The first of its kind was Minimum Needs Programme introduced during 5th Five Year Plan. Rural roads were considered as one of the basic needs of the rural community in addition to other basic needs such as Education, Health, Electrification and Housing in rural areas.

    The following table can be seen that India has witnessed a gradual and phenomenal increase in road network during the past 40 years under various plan periods

    DEVELOPMENT OF ROADS DURING 1950-51 to 1990-91

    ITEMS

    1950-51

    1960-61

    1970-71

    1984-85

    1990-91

    Total road length

    398

    705

    917

    1772

    2210

    Surfaced length

    156

    234

    397

    833

    1115

    Unsurfaced length

    242

    471

    520

    939

    1095

    National Highways (in kms)

    19700

    23769

    24000

    31717

    33600

    Source: Annual Plan Report of the Ministry of Transport and Communication, Government


    VILLAGE CONNECTIVITY WITH POPULATION LESS THAN As on 31-3-95(Roads in Kms)

    Sl. No.

    States/Union Territories

    No. of Villages

    Villages connected up to 1991-92

    Balance to be connected

    1

    Karnataka

    18,632

    6,399

    12,233

    2

    Arunachal Pradesh

    3,176

    612

    2,564

    3

    Assam

    18,777

    11,362

    7,415

    4

    Bihar

    53,234

    14,457

    38,777

    5

    Goa

    172

    172

    0

    6

    Gujarat

    9,814

    7,362

    2,452

    7

    Haryana

    3,275

    3,209

    66

    8

    Himachal Pradesh

    NA

    -

    -

    9

    Jammu & Kashmir

    NA

    -

    -

    10

    Andhra Pradesh

    13,888

    4,504

    9,384

    11

    Kerala

    -

    All connected

    -

    12

    Madhya Pradesh

    63,546

    13,982

    49,564

    13

    Maharashtra

    25,057

    6,381

    18,676

    14

    Manipur

    1,760

    695

    1,065

    15

    Meghalaya

    4,793

    80

    4,613

    16

    Mizoram

    395

    287

    108

    17

    Nagaland

    -

    -

    -

    18

    Orissa

    41,132

    11,428

    29,704

    19

    Punjab

    8,842

    8,729

    133

    20

    Rajasthan

    27,598

    6,655

    20,943

    21

    Sikkim

    19,598

    6,655

    20,943

    22

    Tamil Nadu

    371

    234

    137

    23

    Tripura

    19,867

    11,996

    7,871

    24

    Uttar Pradesh

    4,183

    3,120

    1,063

    25

    West Bengal

    90,271

    31,762

    58,509

    26

    Union Territories

    27,646

    11,004

    16,642

    27

    Andaman and Nicobar Islands

    460

    223

    237

    28

    Chandigarh

    0

    0

    0

    29

    Dadra and Nagar Haveli

    34

    30

    4

    30

    Daman and Diu

    11

    11

    0

    31

    Delhi

    54

    54

    0

    32

    Lakshadweep

    0

    0

    0

    33

    Pondicherry

    207

    207

    0

     

    Total

    4,37,195

    1,54,955

    2,82,240

    Source: Compendium of Transport Statistics, Planning Commission, January 1996


    The table indicate that till 1991-92, with less than 1000 population only 1.55 lakh villages less 25% were covered under Rural Road Programme.

    IMPORTANCE OF RURAL ROAD NET WORK IN KARNATAKA

    Karnataka state being predominantly with agriculture based economy, rural roads play a prime role in providing inputs for agriculture marketing of agricultural produce and products helps for crop diversification and provide good employment to rural mass. Improved rural connectivity provide access to villages and open up the area and pave the way for further social economic development. They help in the mobility of rural population and rural produce, help in improving the rural economy living standards of rural population and increase in their percapita income. Transport is a vital infrastructure for rapid economic growth.

    Road transport is preferred mode of transport because of its inherent advantages such as door to door services, flexibility, reliability, timely deliveries, etc., so it is rightly said that good roads are an asset and bad roads a debt for the nation. About 70% of the passenger traffic and 60 % of the freight are carried by the road network. A rail dominated economy has now become a road dominated economy. The road transport has to bear a major share of transport burden in view of rural development oriented plan programmes implemented since the five year plans as there is enormous facilities in rural areas, good number of rural roads are attracting heavy traffic and are in dire need improvement.

    Road Network in Karnataka

    Karnataka has a total road network of 1, 22,383 kms (as on 31-3-1995) spread over an area of 1, 91,791 sq.kms. Average road length per 100 sq.km of area comes to 64 km and 272 km road length per one lakh population both of which are above the national average of 63.3 kms and 238.80 respectively.

     

    Road Development since 1956 – 2005

     

     

    SURFACE DETAILS

    Year

    Total Road Length

    CC

    BT

    WBM

    Motorable

    Non-Motorable

    1

    2

    3

    4

    5

    6

    7

    1956

    43182

    426

    3432

    18059

    5540

    15725

    1961

    45669

    555

    7406

    19354

    6669

    11685

    1966

    55369

    565

    13888

    19900

    10274

    142

    1974

    79947

    420

    2338

    22500

    1568

    18621

    1979

    95363

    421

    26051

    29266

    17527

    22098

    1985

    112610

    360

    30436

    37309

    20837

    23668

    1990

    117138

    298

    34561

    41767

    18638

    21874

    2005

    122383

    233

    42061

    41928

    17741

    20420

    Source: PWD at Glance, 2005 A Report, DES, Govt... of Karnataka


    The road length which was 43,182 kms in 1956 has increased to 1, 22,383 kms by 2005 with an overall increase of 79,201 kms or 183.4 % increase. In the same manner there is an enormous improvement as well as increase in the surface of the total road network since 1956 in the State. Rural roads are the nearest to the vast majority of rural population. As already noted, out of total geographical area of 1, 91,791 sq.kms of the State, rural area comprised of 1, 87,520 sq.kms accounting to 97.8%. In the same manner of the total population of 4, 47,77,201 Rural population is 3,10,69,413 accounting to 69%. Similar total length of rural road (ODRs, VRs and TDBRs) other district roads, village roads and taluk development roads is 68,708 kms out of the state total of 1,22,383 kms which accounts to 56.1%. The details are given in the Table

    RURAL ROAD LENGTH AS ON 31-3-1979 AND ON 31-3-1995

    Category

    Road length as on 31-3-1979

    Road length as on 31-3-1995

    CC

    BT

    WBM

    US

    TOTAL

    CC

    BT

    WBM

    US

    TOTAL

    1

    2

    3

    4

    5

    6

    7

    8

    9

    10

    11

    Other district roads

    5

    3,802

    4,945

    496

    9,043

    2

    1,248

    822

    20

    2,090

    Village roads

    10

    2,451

    15,352

    14,849

    32,662

    9

    7,929

    21,431

    7,812

    36,931

    T D B roads

    -

    100

    3,253

    20,044

    23,397

    -

    205

    5,732

    23,700

    29,637

    Source: Master Plan for rural roads in Karnataka, 1996, PWD,Govt..of Karnataka

    The road length under Black Tap which was 6,153 kms has increased 9,380 kms, i.e. 52.5% increase road length under Water Bound Mackdom has increased from 23,550 kms to 27,985 kms with percentage increase of 18.8% during the period from 1979 to 1995. Similarly 35,389 kms of unsurfaced road length has been reduced to 31,332 kms (13.0 %) and there is 5.5 % increase in the total rural road length from 65,107 kms to 68,708 kms during the same period.

    CONNECTIVITY OF VILLAGES AS ON 31-3-1979 AND AS ON 31-3-1995

    Number of Villages

    Number of Villages

    As on 31-3-1979

    As on 31-3-1995

    All weather roads

    Fair weather roads

    Kutcha roads

    No. of roads

    Total

    All weather roads

    Fair weather roads

    Kutcha roads

    No. of roads

    Total

    2185

    2310

    7043

    1580

    13118

    3539

    3057

    4557

    136

    11289

    1871

    1799

    3017

    320

    7007

    3633

    2132

    1570

    8

    7343

    1157

    916

    839

    87

    2999

    2503

    707

    245

    6

    3461

    2111

    1021

    555

    60

    3747

    4183

    585

    166

    1

    4935

    7324

    6046

    11454

    2047

    2687

    13858

    6481

    6538

    151

    27028

    Source:Road Development in Karnataka, Public Works Department, Government of Karnataka, 1995

    From the above table it can be seen that number of villages having all weather roads has almost doubled during the period from 1979 to 1995, number of villages which had kaccha roads 11,454kms in the year 1979, this number has come down to 151 villages by 1995.

    IMPACT OF ROADS ON RURAL ECONOMY

    This study was undertaken to study the impact of roads on Rural Economy in four villages of Malur Taluk of Kolar District. With emphasis on the Solo-Economic impact before and after the construction of roads. Detailed information from the members of villages was collected through questionnaire. Interaction with members of villages was carried out through Focus Group Discussion as well.

    Details about Sample

    For the present study four villages were selected and 200 respondents were consulted to assess the impact of roads on rural Economy. Gender details of these village members from four villages are given in the Table 1.

    Table-1 :Gender Details of Sample

    villages

    Gender

    Total

    %

    Male%

    Female%

     

    Village 1

    29(14.5%)

    21(10.5%)

    50

    25%

    Village 2

    33(16.5%)

    17(8.5%)

    50

    25%

    Village 3

    31

    19

    50

    25%

    Village 4

    40

    10

    50

    25%

    TOTAL

    133

    67

    200

    100%

    Source: Primary data

    As shown in the Table 1, the sample size in all the villages is 50. However representation of gender varies from village to village with Village 1 having highest number of feminine gender (N = 21), while the Village 4 has lowest representation of feminine gender (N = 10)

    Dwelling Details

    Types of dwelling details were collected from the sample and details are given in the Table 2.

    Table- 2 : Details of Dwelling

    Land Holding of Farmers

    Pucca

    Semi Pucca

    Kutcha

    Marginal Farmer

    8

    38

    29

    Small Farmer

    9

    42

    30

    Medium Farmer

    7

    29

    2

    Large Farmer

    3

    3

    -

    Total

    27

    112

    61

    Source: Primary data.

    As can be expected marginal and small farmer dwellings were dominated by Katcha and Semi Pucca Houses. However, there are some marginal farmers having pucca houses as well and similarly some large farmers (3 nos.) living in semi pucca houses.

    Household Details

    Nature of household members with reference to joint or nuclear family was collected and details are given in the Table 3.

    Table – 3 : Household Details

    Class

    Nuclear

    Joint

    Total

    Marginal Farmer

    57

    18

    75

    Small farmer

    59

    22

    81

    Medium Farmer

    31

    7

    38

    Large Farmer

    5

    1

    6

    Total

    152

    48

    200

    Source: Primary data.

    As can be seen from the Table 3 most of the families are nuclear in nature and joint family is observed to be declining.

    Land Holdings across the Study Area

    To capture the impact of the intervention, assumption was made that marginal and small farmers would have highest bearing of intervention, sample is selected in selective random with Marginal and Small Farmers constituting highest percentage and large farmers constituting lower percentage of total sample (Table 4).

    Table – 4 : Details of Land holdings

    Villages

    Class

    Total

    %

    Marginal Farmer

    Small farmer

    Medium Farmer

    Large Farmer

     

     

    Village 1

    21

    22

    6

    1

    50

    25%

    Village 2

    14

    23

    12

    1

    50

    25%

    Village 3

    21

    19

    9

    1

    50

    25%

    Village 4

    19

    17

    11

    3

    50

    25%

    Total

    75

    81

    38

    6

    200

    100%

    Source: Primary data.

    As can be seen from the Table, marginal and small farmers constitute more than 75% of total sample. Analysis of the average land holding findings are given in Table 4

    Table- 5 : Average Land holdings Class wise

    Class

    Mean Land Owned (in acres)

    Marginal Farmer

    1.8

    Small Farmer

    3.4

    Medium Farmer

    7.2

    Large Farmer

    12.2

    Total

    24.6

    Source: Primary data.

    It emerges clear that the land holding of marginal farmer is 1.8 acres while that of large farmers own land of 12 acres. This difference has significant impact on livelihood as for marginal farmers other sources of income other than farm income is essential.

    Details pertaining to the number of buffaloes was collected and compared with before and after the construction of road. Details are given in Table 5

    As shown in the Table 1, the sample size in all the villages is 50. However, representation of gender varies from village to village with Village 1 having highest number of feminine gender (N=21), while the Village 4 has lowest representation of feminine gender (N=10)

    MAJOR FINDINGS:

    • Marginal and small farmers are dominated in the rural sample households of farming community having the average land holding of 1.5 acres and 379 acres respectively in the study area. The main crops grown are cereal crops vegetable crops and commercial crops.

    • Among the social groups, General followed by SC/STs and OBC caste groups are living in the study area. The average family is 4.68%.

    • Majority of the sample households contacted have semi-pucca houses. The general income and the type of houses have direct relationship. Almost all the sample households are electrified.

    • Educational level reveals that it is better among the higher landholding size and just opposite in the case of agricultural laborers and few non-land based activities.

    • As part of agricultural activities the income generation from livestock supplements is the additional source of income to the farming community.

    • Respondents are of the opinion in the developed taluk where village link road and transportation reveals higher education for the children in general and female in particular. It is observed reverse trend in moderate/backward taluk.

    • Construction of village link road and improved transport system has direct bearing on the income generation. Life style in promoting rural transformation at the household level is evident in the study area.

    • It is clear that the better rural roads together with well knitted transportation system both public and private transport facilities for marketing agricultural produces and products related to non-land based activities across the social groups. The middle men or brokerage role has been drastically reduced.

    • Average road lengths per 100 sq/kms of area comes to 64 kms and 272 kms road length per one lakh population are above the national average of 61.3 kms and 239 kms respectively.

    • It can be seen that number of villages which have all weather roads are almost doubled in the post economic reform period. Number of villages which had Kutch roads has drastically reduced over the years.

    • By and large the respondents were using bullock carts in the past as mode of transport shifted to bullock cart to two/three/four wheelers. It is evident that lot of transformation taking place even in rural areas.

    CONCLUSION

    The need for rural roads for the rural economy in the third world particularly in India tends to have a crucial place in the process of socio-economic-cultural transformation for the rural masses. In the emerging scenario, the need for rural roads gets prioritized due to the availability of very limited resources further the How of rural people to semi-urban and urban areas remains to be very high due to the higher population growth rate on the one hand and absorption of the surplus rural labour force in the vicinity of the cross section rural sectors. The continued alleles of all these phenomena envisage a serious risk of imbalance in countries like India. A concerted effort on planning the rural roads is therefore essential to anticipate and avoid these risks.

    It is very clear from the study “IMPACT OF RURAL ROADS ON RURAL ECONOMY depicts that the rural roads has played a major role in beginning change in the socio- Economic life of the people in the case study area in Kolar district the present study clearly proved of the overall economic activities of the people in regard and allied activates have taken a positive upward mobility even at the Micro – Economic activities when the economic activities compared with pre-and post-construction of Rural Roads.

    REFERENCES

    • Bhanari, Sukla. (1992): Transport and Regional Development, Concept Publications, Delhi

    • Ciandhi. P. J. and Gandhi. (1990-91): Indian Transport System Mittal Publications, Delhi.

    • Das & Ram. (1994):Third World and Its Socio-Economic Participation Twenty-first Century Publication, New Delhi

    • Desponded. R. A. (1980):Development of Rural Roads in IndiaIndian Highways, Vol.1, January 1980.

    • Lal Monhar. (1989): Rural Road and Economic development, Amar Prakashan New Delhi.

    • Khare. L. P. (1985): Rural Roads in India, Roads Transport in Rural Area, New Delhi.

    • Manahan. (1989): Rural Roads and Socio-Economic Development, Aman Prakashan, New Delhi.

    • Sharma. R. K. (1994): Rural Development in India, Radha Publications, New Delhi.

    • Farrooque .A .K .M(1977): Road and communication in Mughal India, Idrhi –I, Adbiyat New Delhi.

    • Tripathi. P. C. (1972): Rural Transport and Economic Development, Sultan Chand and Sons Publishers, Delhi.

    • Annual Reports of the Ministry of Transport and Communication, Government of India, 1951-1996.

    • Karnataka at a Glance, Directorate of Economics and Statistics, Government of Karnataka, Various Issues 1990, 2000, and 2009.

    • Karnataka State Gazetteer, Kolar District, 1993.

     

    EMPOWERMENT OF WOMEN IN KADAMBA PERIOD - A Feministic Approach


    Dr. SANTHOSH KUMAR T.S

    Assistant Professor, Department of History, Govt College for Women, Mandya. Karnataka State


    A study of Kadambas is a subject to a fascinating subject to a student of history. The present paper throws a light on the empowerment of women in the period of kadambas. Within this limited arena I would like to discuss the awareness of women about their predicament in their male-dominated society. Because the condition of the women of ancient time was not in good and ideal condition. They were away from the hint of knowledge for their own liberation from the clutches of patriarchal construct. They did not know the the concept of feminism in full length, moreover the world feminism and empowerment are the recent phenomena.

    Feminism affirms women and their contribution to the full public life and anticipates a future where there barriers of age will be removed. Feminism has many agendas, political agenda, philosophical position ideologies, values and socio-political movements designed to enable women to participate in public as full citizens. The women have been marginalized and subjugated by the double standard of laws, culture, religion, customs and by the society. Cultural construct of women in the patriarchal society is very pathetic. Women are victimized in personality-politics by the patriarchy. In this contention to through light on the women of ancient history stands as an important method to compare and see the women of kadamba period who they were ignorant of the present day women’s demand for their rightful claim equal to men of the same time. After math of the Second World War the Euro-centric values spread in fusion with religion and cultural construct reaches far and wide. With the arrival of feminism in 1960 and subsequently, Gender-studies, in the tone of realization of women oppression, marginality and subjugation that have been rooted for centuries have been reviewed and up-rooted .The women have realized their exploitation and family politics , and become self-reliant, and carving their own new shapes in society. The women raised their voice in words against injustice and gender inequality.

    I am making a sincere effort to present the Picture of women community in the ancient dynasty of kadambas of Karnataka state. As we know kadambas are the prominent rulers in the history of Karnataka. An attempt is made in this paper to explain the conditions and the strategies used by Kadamba rulers to welfare of women community. The empowerment of women itself includes the empowerment of an individual. In the period of Kadambas the queens of the dynasty stand as a symbol of ‘empowered women’ of the same dynasty. They were supporting the kings in their administration and they were the in charge rulers of the particular provinces. For instance we can quote the example of Hangal kadamba king Mayura verma’s wife, Akkadevi who was looking after Kiskud-70.Thogare-60 and Masavadi-140. The queens of the day were generously involving in the charitable works such as constructing education centers, temples, and other public works to help the common folks. But the common women of the same period were exempted from this kind of liberty and choice to work outside their homes. Somewhat liberty was given to Devadasis or Temple dancers. The privileged women communities were the women of the royal family and of the upper classes. Here itself my paper makes an attempt to bring forth the conditions of women and their places in society.

    In ancient Karnataka, the wife and daughter-in-law were considered to occupy an important and honorable place in the family. Women of the upper classes and ruling classes and of the families of officials are received education. The education mainly consisted of the fine arts as music and dance, in addition to general education. Some of them were exponents in the field of their learning. Women of the royal families were entrusted with the work of administration. Among the women of the common people, the Davadasis specialized in singing and dancing. They sang delighting songs with clear modulations of the seven notes. The dancing was not restricted to the class of courtesans but was regarded as one of the fine arts and accomplishments in which all classes of people participated.

    There is no evidence in the records of child marriages. The girls were married only when they became youths. Jayakesi the son-in-law of the Chalukya Vikramaditya VI had attained marriageable age at the time of his marriage. Generally boys were married when they were 15-20 years and girls were married between 12-16 years. It appears that the young peoples were left free to select their own match. The event that has greater interest for for the history of the period in the fact narrated by the daughter of Jayakesi I, the Kadamba King of Goa,fell in love with the handsome king Karna Raja and went to the latter’s carotidal to marry him. The instance shows that love marriages not uncommon. During this period inter caste marriages as not in vogue.

    The dowry systems were not in vogue during this period. After the marriage, the bridegroom used to be honored by presents. The King Mummuri period V lakhs of gold coins to the Kadamba prince Chattayyadeve, only after the marriage Chattayadeva’s son Jayakeshi gave unlimited presentations to his son-in-law Permadideva. According to Manu Polygamy was Permissible. King and Prince continued the practice of having more than one wife. The terms “savati gandhavarance”, Savatimada bhanjane are indicative of the Jealousy that existed among the queens.

    Collection of a marriage was in vogue. This was more or less an arrangement made by the people of the locality or village. The money collected thus was usually given away given as a gift to the tank or temple of the place. Instances of the people paying this ta have been cited in some of the records of the period. The people believed that extend monetary help to poor people and Brahmans for the purposes of marriage was an act of merit. The matrimonial bondage could only be separated by loath, as the husband and the wife had no divorce. Through the husband was permitted to marry gain during the life time or the first life. The wife was not provided with any kind of remedy.

    The very large number of Sati Stones in the region ruled by the Kadambas, points out that sati or the burning or a widow with the dead body of her husband, was largely practiced by the fighting classes. The epigraphically to the free choice in South India. It was left completely to the free choice of the window. It was more or less voluntary. During this period, widow re-marriage was not in vogue. But this was not prohibited among the lower sections of Hindu Society. The scope of Stridana ri has came to be considered, Vignanesvara wha was the chief Justice in the court of the Chalukya Vikramaditya VI advocated in the mitakshara, the widow’s right of inheritance. By the end of the 13th Century A.D. the widow’s rights had come to be recognized. One of the record states that Tippayye, wife of Tippayya, made over the land Tippayya had received towards his hare to her brother-in-law Achayya to repay had by them passed away and his share come to be inherited by his wife. Tippayye accepts not only time a set but also the liabilities of her husband. Devadasis were women servants of God. Their life was dedicated to his service in the temple. They were meant to serve god by singing and dancing in the temple. The epigraphs speak of gifts being made for the Angabhoga and Rangabhoga of the god in the temple. The Rangabhoga includes music and dancing by beautiful ladies before the ideal. Generally the dancing girls were courtesans.

    Women enjoyed such freedom during this Period. Women of the royal families were entrusted with the administration in political and religious matters. The epigraphs inform us of several queens taking an active part in the administration. One famous of a women administrator is that of Akkadevei. The Hangal Kadamba queen Akkadevi was ruling the divisions kisuk du-70, Torugave-60 and the Masavadi-I40. She also participated freely in the religious matters. In a Belur record, she is described as practicing the religious observances prescribed by the rituals of Jina, Buddha,Anantha and Rudra. She supported all the faiths equally. Mailaldevi who was the queen of Jayakeshi II of the Goa Kadambas, lived a glorious life. The association with her husband in matters of administration speaks of her abilities in her epigraphs.

    Conclusion:

    Thus, the condition of the women in the ancient time was not better than the condition of the modern women. Only the change is women of today are awakening from their strangled clutches and fighting for their own empowerment. In the period of Kadambas only the women like Devadasis were suppressed from the side of the royal family and nobles of the day. The social, cultural and patriarchal construct of women of the Kadamba period suffered a lot by the double stranded rules of religion, administration, law and custom.

    References:

    1. Sexual politics,(1967), Kate Millet.

    2. Karnataka State Gazetteer Vol. 1, Suryanath Kamath.

    3. Karnataka Parampere, Vol. 1, Mysore State Government, 1970.

    4. Banavasi, Dr. B R Gopal.

    5. Temples of South India, K R Srinivasan.

    SPORTS BETTING IN INDIA – TIME FOR A STRONG BETTING LEGISLATION SUPPORTING COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT


    Praveen.M

    Physical Education Director, Govt. First Grade College, Gowribidanour, Chikkaballapur Dist.


    India has a paradoxical situation. You can bet on the skill of a horse and its jockey but you cannot bet on the skills of let's say Sachin Tendulkar or Sardar Singh,"

    - Mudgal at the FICCI seminar on 'Regulating Sports Betting and Sports Law.' 


    ABSTRACT

    Betting in sports has become a nuisance on civic society. There have been several repercussions of betting on the promotional benefits of sports. Because betting has misrepresented virtuousness of sports & the very dignity of sports is at stake . Several key players have lost their great sporting careers because of their involvement in betting. Betting has made them blatantly shameless .Spurious involvement in betting activities jeopardizes the very integrity of the game socially as well as culturally & a nation becomes prey to mass indictment & allegation. The heritage & respectability of the nation becomes questionable & the question of doubt is fingered on all its past successes & futuristic advancements. A community can be made to flourish on sporting events as it enhances the chances of its all round development. But association in betting will tarnish the very expansion of the community harmfully. This paper examines the issues connected with betting in sports & demands the need for a strong legislation to prevent betting in sports.

    Keywords: Betting in sports , negative impacts, staking national pride, strong legislation , community empowerment


    INTRODUCTION

    Indian sports field has not been able to prove its full capacity as there several problems beings its pitiable presentations at global meets. So far India has been unable to record steeping success in sports field even though it is being considered number one in economic development. The betting in sports is a hazardous phenomenon which is harming the very integrity of the nation as well its socio cultural heritage. There have been several studies which have been highlighting the appalling impact of betting in sports.

    MEANING

    Sports betting is the activity of predicting  results and placing a wager on the outcome. It is generally considered to be a form of gambling .

    HISTORICAL PROLOGUE

    Betting in sports & betting on its outcome has harmful impact . With the advent of liberalization economic policies there have been multi dimensional sporting activities. Several new sports are being conducted across the world with much hype & fan fare. Several sporting events have surpassed all profit limits of sports & have become a safe corporate investment criterion. (Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2011).Over the time betting in sporting results has assumed the colors of professional gambling with corporate outlook. Betting in sports has become wide spread because

    1. Outrageous telecasting

    2. Broadcasting openings

    3. Newspaper coverage

    4. Coverage Local language newspapers .local TV channels etc

    5. Publicity over hand phones /mobile phones/ tablets/ I-pods etc

    6. Exposure over internet

    7. Publicity through hoardings, flexes , banners etc

    EVILS EFFECTS OF BETTING IN SPORTS

    Indian sports field is suffering from several types of betting .plain betting ,on line betting , universal betting , individual betting etc. All forms of betting have negative effects on community living.

    1. Betting in sports induces addictive behaviors in youth

    2. Harms nation’s pride & prestige

    3. Questions the authenticity

    4. Question of ambiguity looms large over other such past successes

    5. Job loss enhances It enhances family tensions

    6. Impact on family life

    7. Increase in domestic violence

    8. Morbidity

    9. Child abuse

    10. Premature mortality

    11. Divorce suicide

    12. It induces drug addiction heavy drinking smoking

    13. drinking

    14. causes depression

    NEED FOR A STRONG LEGISLATION

    There is a call for stringent& strong legal permissible actions against containing betting in sports.

    1. The rules & regulations regulating sports should be made more stricter

    2. Justification from the national &social point should be stipulated among communities

    3. Professional sports leagues should be brought under uniform anti betting regulation

    4. The money earned through professional sponsorship, revenue & sales should be properly taxable

    5. Government overview of betting practices need strict legal supervision

    6. Children and youth should be protected from exposure to gambling advertising and gambling-related harm as a matter of urgency.

    7. Youth should be the focus of targeted prevention programs, and consideration should be given to regulating the burgeoning advertising of gambling so that it does not deliberately target this vulnerable group.

    8. This could include banning gambling incentives and gambling-related marketing aimed at children, young people and families, banning gambling sponsorship of junior sport, incorporating harm minimisation messages through sport, and promoting healthy sporting participation.

    9. A range of measures should be developed to target athletes and sports people specifically

    10. With application of primary prevention measures , early intervention measures and response level measures all sports organizations & leagues should curtail betting.

    11. Such measures could start with the acknowledgement that the best prevention and ‘treatment’ is to keep athletes engaged in their sports, and to use the positive peer pressure and motivation of their sport involvement to pre-empt problems or to promote behaviour change as needed.

    12. Research and development should be promoted into the potential for internet and mobile phone applications to deliver liable gambling messages, gambling treatment and self-help interventions.

    13. Public education and treatment programs should be expanded and accessible to assist those who are problem gamblers, especially young people.

    14. This includes promotion of responsible gambling and harm minimization messages in all forms of sport games and media.

    15. Further research should be undertaken to understand the impact of gambling & to enable informed policy and regulation of gambling advertising.

    16. Consumers, including athletes, sporting clubs, young people and sports fans, should be involved in the development of policies designed to reduce gambling-related harm, and in the evaluation and review of interventions to prevent and minimize gambling harm. Input from athletes and other consumers with direct experience of sport-related gambling harm would be predominantly valuable & precious . ( Finley, Peter (2008). Sports Scandals ).

    DEMAND FOR LEGALIZATION OF BETTING

    There have been demands from all quarters demanding betting legalization of betting. (Stephen Robson -Strategic sports development).The corporate sector is immensely putting pressure on the government to legalize betting. Cricket boards across the cricket playing countries are already demanding this.( Rowlend bowen Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development). A ban of betting might find identical finish like the ban on liquor but all stake holders in community should wake up to understand & identify the key impact the future generation would have without stringent legal actions against betting.

    CONCLUSION

    Thus sports betting which completely endangers the authenticity & integrity of the game should be checked through strong legal legislation. The entire community should involve in creating awareness about evil reflections of betting in sports. All stake holders should become key players in restraining the evils of sports betting. A community which wakes up to the impact of betting in sports on community welfare & development can create a strong impact on its members as well as policy makers. Socially as well as culturally & a nation can advance towards progression & consistency. The uniformity of vision towards maintaining the merits & worthiness of the sport thus calls for an awakened community. A rethinking about considering an alternative regulation system & organizational restructuring technique towards reduce all negative impacts on the community wherever possible is a need of the hour.

    References

    1. Boyd, Kier (1981). Gambling Technology Washington, DC

    2. E-Sports And E-Gaming Laws & Regulations In India, Internet Games Laws And Regulations In India & Online Poker, Rummy, Card Games, Chess, Lotteries In India. 28

    3. Finley, Peter (2008). Sports Scandals Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press

    4. Mihir bose - A History of Indian Cricket, Andre-Deutsch, 1990

    5. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2013.

    6. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2012

    7. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2013.

    8. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2012

    9. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2011

    10. Rowlend bowen Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development, Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1970

    11. Stephen Robson -Strategic sports development , Route ledge , 2013


     

    SOCIO-ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT OF PEASANTS IN KARNATAKA: A STUDY


    ANANDA.S

    Asst. Professor, Dept. of History, Government Arts College, Bangalore, Karnataka-560001


    ABSTRACT

    Agrarian mobilizations are a persistent phenomena of the Indian rural social system being manifested in different parts of the country over a long period of time. During the colonial rule peasants conducted a relentless struggle against feudal oppression and played a significant role in the freedom movement. The process of state control over natural resources that started with the period of colonialism must be rolled back. The change of socio-economic situation and the pressure on natural resources, new community control systems have to be established that are more highly integrated, equitable and sustainable. It can be observed that through the period of British colonialism upto present times there has been a certain continuity, particularly in the backward states of India, where the agrarian system still continue to be feudalistic and capitalistic. The major contradictions can be located within the feudalistic agrarian system, and in the latter, this is to be found as between the agrarian and the urban-industrial systems. Thus movements relating to security of the tenancy cultivation, against unfair crop share and usury, against bonded labour etc., are principally anti-feudal struggles. Also the agricultural taxes, loans, reduction in the input changes demand for remunerative prices etc complexions pressured on farmer’s movements. In this paper an attempt is made to discuss about the emergence of various present organizations in rural areas, farmer unions and its impact on socio-economic problems and other grievances and also examine the socio-economic empowerment of peasants.

    Keywords: Agrarian, discontent, empowerment, movement, peasant, socio-economic


    INTRODUCTION :

    After independence of India, the policies and programmes we pursued have benefited only a small segment of the society. However, the large sections of people especially those who are dependent on natural resources have been further impoverished the peasants. There is a continuing and ever increasing migration of rural poor who have been evicted more times from their houses in the name of globalization development and scientific management of natural resources have most seriously threatened. The vast section of the people on greater control over their land from many decades through utilizing them in a frugal and sustainable way. All these experiences have led us to understand these issues indepth and redefine the notions of the development process, progress and civilization. The trajectory of a mid 1960’s green revolution influenced by the modernization policy implemented by the central government as well as the responses of the peasant and their struggle to globalizing processes etc where farming has been less affected by this type of intervention. This permits to identify the issues at stake in the two regional ecologies and to see whether they give rise to comparable or even co-ordinated responses by peasant movements.

    Western civilization and the forces of globalization, liberalization and privatization have concentrated enormous power in a few lands at huge cost to the vast sections of poor and tribal communities. This power is being misused to make the poor and poorer and invade a whole some lifestyle and culture of human societies. The last man who should occupy the central place in our development paradigm is systematically marginalized and eliminated. The fact that our own democratic governments have since 1947 evicted 1-5 crore rural poor from their homes and habitats in the name of national development and that even after 50 years of adoption of the constitution we do not have a rehabilitation policy is a sad commentary. There is need to give legal protection to the rural poor by incorporating key features into the land acquisition bill itself. The efforts by voluntary agencies who worked out alternate forest, land acquisition and rehabilitation bills are unfortunately not being recognized and the interest of these vulnerable communities not protected.

    Agrarian mobilizations are a persistent phenomena of the Indian rural social system being manifested in different parts of the country over a long period of time. Since Indus valley civilization, the cultivation has been in existence, it is the belief of the people that it is a part of their cultural pride. At present they adopt agriculture not because it is profitable but because they have no other alternative and they can feed themselves at for a few months from the yield they are getting. The portrayal of Indian peasantry as fatalistic, docile, unresisting, superstitions and passive has been proved to be without much foundation. During the British period, the Indian rural scene bristled with large scale protests, revolts and militant struggles by the peasantry involving several hundreds of villages and lasting for years together. Peasants conducted a relentless struggle against feudal oppression and played a significant role in the freedom movement.

    The colonial rule and the implementation of their land bills upgraded the position of Zamindars and tax collectors into land lords and degraded the position of farmers into tenant. The zamindari system in various provinces of India, the land tax was high and the farmers were forced to pay it off even when there was most unexpected natural catastrophes. In this system only one zamindar was placed instead of many and it made him the foe of the farmers. The defects of these pushed the farmers into object poverty. The inevitable surrender to the money lenders, there was no other source of income, etc., influenced on the social status of the farmers and he gotdown to his position in the society as labour.

    The beginning of the 19th century witnessed the extremes of the farmers poverty which drove them to leave their homes and villages. The cause of this exodus took place because of the zamindars who acted as the agents of the British. As a result the second half of the nineteenth century, there was a beginning of new kind of peasant struggle rose against enhancement of rent, evictions and exactions of landlords who were often money lenders. A large scale agrarian mobilizations continue to surface at present times and have acquired varied organizational identities. Political parties, Sanghas, unions have become the organizational expressions of the contemporary agrarian unrests and mobilizations. These organizations were worked as the power groups in the regional or national political scene.

    The peasant movements in mid-nineteenth century were intermittent and remained confined to a few regions. Among those the tribal rebellion of 1855-56 in Bengal region against the money lenders, Indigo revolt of 1859 against the indigo planters in Bihar, Maratha peasants’ uprising in Maharastra region during 1869-1974, against the moneylenders. Tenant struggles in UP during 1920’s and 1930s. The Agrarian disturbances in the Madras presidency between 1911 to 1936 etc. are important peasant movements gave support for the future movements of India. As Kathleen Gaugh, the review of the Indian peasant uprisings for more than 200 years, peasants were repeatedly raised against land lords, revenue agents, money lenders, bureaucrats etc. These uprisings have generally fallen into the categories of restorative movements, religious movements, social banditry, tenorist acts for vengeance and justice, mass insurrections and political oriented uprisings.

    The phenomena of agrarian mobilization in contemporary times present a far from uniform pattern. On the one hand we have movements such as in the flaming fields of Bihar and the people’s war phenomenon in Andhra Pradesh. On the other hand, large scale mobilizations of the so-called farmers’ movements are taking place in the states of Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamilnadu, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Punjab. These movements have different objectives, goals, strategies, vastly different ideologies and nature of leadership. Among these the peasants movement in Karnataka is important. The main thrust of this paper is to understand the evident agrarian discontent in the study is, the empowerment of peasant movement in Karnataka. Here is an brief attempt to find an answer to the discontent of peasant movement. Due to the imbalance of deprivation theory, people become discontented not because of the absolute conditions of their situation but because they compare their actual condition with what they believe it could and should be.

    The peasant movement in Karnataka was one of the major revolt in the global peasant revolts of India. The movement took place for the people’s sovereignty both locally and globally. Although an agrarian movement, it took place under the farmers issues and aims for broad social change at various levels of society. Autonomy, justice, peace and dignity are fundamental tenents of the vision of the peasants struggle. Under the empowerment of farmers community, the peasant movement become powerful under the banner of Karnataka state farmers’ association called Karnataka State Rajya Raitha Sangha. It has inspired the farmers to participate and made a movement in and around the world to take direct action against multinational companies by creating solidarity and collective action through people’s movements. In Karnataka many isolated smaller local farmers groups under the leadership of Prof. MD Nanjundaswamy, H.S. Rudrappa and N.D. Sundaresh bringing together under the banner of Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha. The Movement took place as part of a long process of construction of a new society, which is driven by people at the local level but must reach the global level and which cannot take place without the active and direct involvement of society as a whole.

    The Gandhian objective of village republic, a form of social, political and economic organization based on direct democracy, economic and political autonomy and self-reliance. The movement is strongly based on Gandhi’s philosophy of Swadeshi. This means that political and economic power must reside in the villages through democratic village assemblies. The needs of the villages should be met first and foremost through local production and consumption. Swadeshi emphasizes local technologies and cultures. Under the protest while most of the peasants did not get good quality of seeds and pesticides and at fixed price. The supply of seeds by the government and private agencies were spurious and of low quality. The fertilizer of good quality, required quantity and at fixed price non-remunerative prices for agricultural products, costly agricultural inputs, the malpractices and ill functioning of the agricultural market, lack of irrigation facilities, uncertain monsoon, the inadequate agricultural tools and implements, agricultural labourers, the indebtedness due to loan in order to overcome their economic problems causes for the movement launching against the government.

    The peasants felt that the cities and the towns were growing at the cost of villages. The shortage of basic amenities like hospitals, schools, roads, drinking water, etc. In total there was an element of discontentment among the peasants since quite longtime, but this discontentment was not transformed into a movement probably, due to lack of leadership and organization. The discontent was silently tolerated due to the prevalence of widespread illiteracy and resultant ignorance. The absence of enlightened leadership to show them the path of solving their problems. The peasants caught in the vicious circle of poverty, illiteracy, ignorance, tradition, unemployment, exploitation and so on were incapable to act on the grievances. The farmours association called Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha created the necessary conditions for transforming this discontent into a movement. The association created the awareness among the peasantry, it motivated, educated and activated the peasantry. The farmers became conscious of their rights and dignity. The 19 points charter of demands submitted by the farmers association to the government included most appealing and attractive demands like load waiver, remunerative prices, cheap agricultural inputs, reduction in electricity changes, old age pension, treating agriculture as an industry and reservation of 50 percent of seats in educational institutions and so on. The very strong, appealing and convincing speeches of the leaders made their own impact on the peasants. Thus the association was successful in the mobilization of the peasants in movements and in motivating them towards action. The peasants wanted to remove the structural barriers which were the sources for their discontentment. The exploitative and profitless agricultural market system, exploitative and anti-peasant government departments, expensive, time consuming and complex procedures of getting loan etc., were some of the important structural barriers for the socio-economic progress. Thus all these factors were the genesis of peasant movements in Karnataka due to the socio-economic empowerment on community progress.

    REFERENCES :

    1. Brass Tom, ‘The Policies of Gender, Nature and Nation in the Discourse of the New Farmers Movements’, Journal of Peasant Studies, Special Edition, 21 (3-4), 3-26, New Delhi, 1994.

    2. S.R. Hiremath (ed.), ‘Community Control, Ref: Samaj Parivaratana Samudaya (SPS) et al., Amended draft of Forest and the Land Acquisition Bill of 1995 & 2000, Bangalore.

    3. Ghanshyam Shah, ‘Social Movements in India-A Review of Literature’, Sage Publications, New Delhi, 1990, Pp.32.

    4. Krishna Reddy, K., ‘Bharatha Desa Charitra Adhunika Yugam’, Hyderabad, 1994, P.247.

    5. Shambhu Prasad, S., Bharathi, Sahitra Masa Patrika, Madras, March-1939, Pp.328-29.

     

    RESERVATION FOR BACKWARD CLASSES AND WOMEN


    AKSHATHA PARANJYOTHI KUMAR* & Dr.VANAJAKSHI R HALLIYAVAR**

    *Assistant Professor, Dept. of Sociology, Government First Grade College, Rajajinagar, Bangalore-10

    **Associate Professor, Dept. of Kannada, Government First Grade College, Rajajinagar, Bangalore-10


    Reservation in India deals with distributing certain percentage of seats in government institutions for backward classes and women in society. It can also be regarded as a form of quota-based affirmative action. Reservation is governed by Constitutional laws, statutory laws and local rules and regulations. The Reservation Policy in India focuses on Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes(ST), and Other Backward Classes (OBC). It has the main objective of uplifting these sections of the society. The Reservation Policy has strived hard to reduce the gap between upper and lower castes of the society.

    HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE CASTE BASED RESERVATION-

    Since time immemorial India is facing evil practice such as untouchability. Scheduled Castes were the worst sufferers of this practice, which has been eradicated by the Article 17 of the constitution. An untouchable person is referred as impure or a person who does menial jobs.

    During Vedic period Varna System was very much prevalent in the society. It was largely based on the work that a person does than based on birth. The system consisted of mainly four varnas namely Brahmanas, Kshatriyas, Vaisyas and Sudras in the social hierarchy of the society. A person’s varna was mainly defined on the basis of a person’s socio-economic duties. Later on the varna system was changed to caste system which was based on birth rather than by the duties that a person performed.

    The most important objective of the Indian reservation system is to increase the opportunities for improvement in social and educational status of the under privileged sections and also to bring them to the mainstream of the society. The reservation system also tries to improve their political status by giving opportunity to represent in State Legislatures.

    In Article 16(4), the Constitution states, “Nothing in (article 16) or in clause (2) of article 29 shall prevent the state from making any special provision for the advancement of any socially and educationally backward classes of citizens or for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes. According to Article 46, “ the State shall promote with special care, the educational and economic interests of the weaker sections of the people, and in particular, of the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes and shall protect them from social injustice and all forms of exploitation.

    Among 543 seats in India’s Parliament, 84 or 18. 42% are reserved for SC or Dalits and 47 seats or 8.66% for Scheduled Tribes. Allocation of seats are made on the basis of their total population. In 1982, the constitution mentioned 15% in public sector and 7.5% vacancies in government aided educational institutes should be reserved for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes respectively for a period of 5 years. The Supreme Court has also ordered that reservation cannot exceed more than 50%.

    At present the Reservation System of the Union Government for different backward classes is as follows:

    Scheduled Castes(SC) - 15%

    Scheduled Tribes (ST) - 7.5%

    Other Backward Classes(OBC) - 27%

    Total Constitutional reservation percentage - 49.5%

    General which includes SC/St and OBC - 50.5%

    While coming to Gender aspect, in 1993, a constitutional amendment in India called for reservation for women in gram panchayat. The village council is responsible for providing infrastructure facilities in villages such as public buildings, water and roads and also identifying several government programmes and policies. Some of the recent research studies on quota system have stressed on the fact that, perception about ability of women has been changed and it has made significant improvement in women’s electoral chances and also to attain education.

    When the women’s Reservation Bill was passed on 9th March 2010, in Rajya Sabha 186 members were in favour and only 1 was against reservation for women. Some of the critics argued that even economic and social conditions of women should be given importance and according to some of the feminists reservation should atleast be 50% as they represent 50% of the population.

    Some of the states have done a remarkable achievement by providing reservation for religious minorities. For example, The Tamil Nadu government has reserved 3.5% of seats to Muslims and Christians thereby providing 23% reservation to Other Backward Classes (OBCs) instead of 30%. Andhra Pradesh Government has also reserved 4% of seats for Muslims in 2004. Maharashtra government has also reserved 5% of seats for Muslims.

    Long before independence reservations for backward classes comprised of Presidency areas and the princely states. Hunter Commission was appointed in 1882. Jyotirao Phule demanded for free and compulsory education and also representation in government jobs for backward classes. In 1901, reservations were introduced in Maharashtra by shahu Maharaj. In 1902 Sahuji Maharaj introduced reservation for non- Brahmin and backward classes. He also appealed for the abolition of untouchability.

    After independence in 1979, Mandal Commission was established to look into the situation of socially and educationally backward classes. Other Backward Class is a term used by Government of India to classify castes which are educationally and socially disadvantaged. It is one of the official classification along with Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. The Indian Constitution has described OBCs as “ socially and educationally backward classes and the Government of India should ensure social and educational development of OBCs and they are entitled to 27% reservations in public sector employment and higher education. Article 340 of the Indian Constitution promotes welfare of the OBCs.

    On 29th January 1953, the first Backward Classes Commission was appointed under the chairmanship of Kaka kalelkar. In its report in 1995, it has prepared a list of 2,399 backward castes out of which 837 were classified as the most backward. The recommendations of the Commission are as follows-

    • Caste-wise enumeration of population in the Census of 1961

    • Relating social backwardness of a class to its low position in the traditional caste hierarchy of Indian society

    • Treating all women as backward class

    • Reservation of 70% seats in technical and professional institutions for backward classes.

    • Reservation of vacancies in all government services and local bodies for other backward classes.

    On 1st January 1979, second backward classes commission was set up which is known as Mandal Commission under the chairmanship of B.P Mandal. According to thios Commission, 52% of the total population included other backward classes. As this estimation was criticized, the National Sample Survey estimated this figure as 32%.

    WOMEN’S RESERVATION BILL

    Women’s Reservation Bill or The Constitution (108th Amendment Bill), is a pending Bill which proposes for 33% of all seats in the lower house of Parliament of India, Lok Sabha and in all State Legislative Assemblies for women. Rajya Sabha has passed the Bill on 9th March 2010. In February 2014, the Lower House Lok Sabha has not yet voted on the bill. If Lok Sabha approves the Bill, then it has to be passed by half of India’s State Legislatures and signed by the President. In 1993, a Constitutional Amendment was passed in India that called for 1/3rd of positions in Gram Panchayats to be reserved for women. Some of the feminists argue that reservation of seats for women will increase women participation in politics and society.

    Part xvi of the Indian Constitution has specified SPECIAL PROVISIONS RELATING TO CERTAIN CLASSES which are as follows-

    330. Reservation of seats for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in the House of the People

    1. Seats shall be reserved in the House of the People for-

    1. the Scheduled Castes

    2. The Scheduled Tribes except the Scheduled Tribes in the autonomous districts of Assam; and

    3. the Scheduled Tribes in the autonomous districts of Assam.

    2. The number of seats reserved in any state or Union territory for the Scheduled Castes or the Scheduled Tribes under clause(1) shall bear, as nearly as may be, the same proportion to the total number of seats allotted to that State or Union Territory in the House of the People as the population of the Scheduled Castes in the State or Union Territory or of the Scheduled Tribes in the State or Union territory or part of the State or Union Territory, as the case may be, in respect of which seats are so reserved, bears to the total population of the State or Union Territory.

    331. Representation of the Anglo-Indian community in the House of the People-

    Notwithstanding anything in article 81, the President may, if he is of opinion that the Anglo-Indian community is not adequately represented in the House of the People, nominate not more than two members of that community to the House of the People.

    332. Reservation of seats for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in the Legislative Assemblies of the States-

    1. Seats shall be reserved for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes(except the Scheduled Tribes in the autonomous districts of Assam )in the Legislative Assembly of every State.

    2. Seats shall be reserved also for the autonomous districts in the Legislative Assembly of the State of Assam.

    3. The number of seats reserved for the Scheduled Castes or the scheduled Tribes in the Legislative Assembly of any State under clause (1) shall bear, as nearly as may be, the same proportion to the total number of seats in the Assembly as the population of the Scheduled Castes in the State or of the Scheduled Tribes in the State or part of the State, as the case may be, in respect of which seats are so reserved bears to the total population of the State.

    333. Representation of the Anglo-Indian community in the Legislative Assemblies of the States- Notwithstanding anything in article 170, the Governor of a State may, if he is of opinion that the Anglo- Indian Community needs representation in the Legislative Assembly of the State and is not adequately represented therein.

    334. Reservation of seats and special representation to cease after ( 60 years )-

    Notwithstanding anything in the forgoing provisions of this part, the provisions of this Constitution relating to-

    1. The reservation of seats for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes in the House of the people and in the Legislative Assemblies of the States; and

    2. The representation of the Anglo-Indian Community in the House of the People and in the Legislative Assemblies of the States by nomination,

    Shall cease to have effect on the expiration of a period of (60 years) from the commencement of this Constitution.

    335. Claims of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes to services and posts-

    The claims of the members of the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes shall be taken into consideration, consistently with the maintenance of efficiency of administration, in the making of appointments to services and posts in connection with the affairs of the Union or of a State.

    336. Special Provision for Anglo-Indian Community in certain services- During the first two years after the commencement of this Constitution, appointments of members of the Anglo-Indian community to posts in the railway, customs, postal and telegraph services of the Union shall be made on the same basis as immediately before the 15th day of August, 1947.

    337. Special provision with respect to educational grants for the benefit of Anglo-Indian Community- During the first three financial years after the commencement of this Constitution, the same grants, if any shall be made by the Union and by each State for the benefit of the Anglo-Indian community in respect of education as were made in the financial year ending on the 31st day of March, 1948.

    338. National Commission for Scheduled Castes-

    1. There shall be a Commission for the Scheduled Castes to be known as the National Commission for the Scheduled Castes.

    2. Subject to the provisions of any law made in this behalf by Parliament, the Commission shall consist of a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and three other members and the conditions of service and tenure of office of the Chairpersons, Vice-Chairpersons and other Members so appointed shall be such as the President may be rule determine.

    3. The Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and other Members of the Commission shall be appointed by the President by warrant under his hand and seal.

    4. The Commission shall have the power to regulate its own procedure.

    5. The President shall call such reports to be laid before each House of Parliament along with a memorandum explaining the action taken or proposed to be taken on the recommendations relating to the Union and the reasons for the non-acceptance, if any, of any such recommendations.

    6. 6. Where any such report, or any part thereof, relates to any matter with which any State Government is concerned, a copy of such report shall be forwarded to the Governor of the State who shall cause it to be laid before the Legislature of the State along with a memorandum explaining the action taken or proposed to be taken on the recommendations relating to the State and the reasons for the non-acceptance, if any, of any of such recommendations.

    7. The Commission shall, while investigating any matter referred to in sub-clause(a) or inquiring into any complaint referred to in sub-clause(b) of clause(5), have all the powers of a civil court trying a suit and in particular in respect of the following matters, namely-

    1. Summoning and enforcing the attendance of any person from any part of India and examining him on oath;

    2. requiring the discovery and production of any document;

    3. receiving evidence on affidavits;

    4. requisitioning any public record or copy thereof from any court of office;

    5. issuing commissions for the examination of witnesses and documents;

    6. any other matter which the President may, by rule, determine.

    1. The Union and every State Government shall consult the Commission on all major policy matters affecting Scheduled Tribes.

    339. Control of the Union over the administration of Scheduled Areas and the welfare of Scheduled Tribes-

    1. The President may at any time and shall, at the expiration of ten years from the commencement of this Constitution by order appoint a Commission to report on the administration of the Scheduled Areas and the welfare of the Scheduled Tribes in the States.

    2. The executive power of the Union shall extend to the giving of directions to (a State) as to the drawing up and execution of schemes specified in the direction to be essential for the welfare of the Scheduled Tribes in the State.

    340. Appointment of a Commission to investigate the conditions of backward classes-

    1. The President may by order appoint a Commission consisting of such persons as he thinks fit to investigate the conditions of socially and educationally backward classes within the territory of India and the difficulties under which they labour and to make recommendations as to the steps that should be taken by the Union or any State to remove such difficulties and to improve their condition and as to the grants that should be made for the purpose by the Union or any State and the conditions subject to which such grants should be made, and the order appointing such commission shall define the procedure to be followed by the Commission.

    2. A Commission so appointed shall investigate the matters referred to them and present to the President a report setting out the facts as found by them and making such recommendations as they think proper.

    3. The President shall cause a copy of the report so presented together with a memorandum explaining the action taken thereon to be laid before each House of Parliament.

    341. Scheduled Caste

    1. The President (may with respect to any State (or Union Territory), and where it is as State, after consultation with the Governor thereof, by public notification, specify the castes, races or tribes or parts of or groups within castes, races or tribes which shall for the purposes of this Constitution be deemed to be Scheduled Castes in relation to that State (or Union Territory, as the case may be).

    2. Parliament may by law include in or exclude from the list of Scheduled Castes specified in a notification issued under clause (1) any caste, race or tribe or part of or group within any caste, race, or tribe, but save as aforesaid a notification issued under the said clause shall not be varied by any subsequent notification.

    342. Scheduled Tribes

    1. the President (may with respect to any State (or Union Territory), and where it is a State, after consultation with the Governor thereof, by public notification, specify the tribes or tribal communities or parts of or groups within tribes or tribal communities or parts of or groups within tribes or tribal communities which shall for the purposes of this Constitution be deemed to be Scheduled Tribes in relation to that State (or Union Territory, as the case may be).

    2. Parliament may by law include in or exclude from the list of Scheduled Tribes specified in a notification issued under clause (1) any tribe or tribal community or part of or group within any tribe or tribal community, but save as aforesaid a notification issued under the said clause shall not be varied by any subsequent notification.

    CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISIONS ON BACKWARD CLASSES-

    Article 15- Prohibition of discrimination on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth –

    1. The State shall not discriminate against any citizen on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them.

    2. No citizen shall, on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them, be subject to any disability, liability, restriction or condition with regard to –

    1. access to shops, public restaurants, hotels and places of public entertainment; or

    2. the use of wells, tanks, bathing ghats, roads and places of public resort maintained wholly or partly out of State funds or dedicated to the use of general public.

    1. Nothing in this article shall prevent the State from making any special provision for women and children.

    2. Nothing in this article or in clause (2) of article 29 shall prevent the State from making any special provision for the advancement of any socially and educationally backward classes of citizens or for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes.

    3. Nothing in this article or in sub-clause (g) of clause (1) of article 19 shall prevent the State from making any special provision, by law, for the advancement of any socially and educationally backward classes of citizens or for the Scheduled Castes or the Scheduled Tribes in so far as such special provisions relate to their admission to educational institutions including private educational institutions, whether aided or unaided by the State, other than the minority educational institutions referred to in clause (1) of article 30.

    Article 26- Freedom to manage religious affairs- Subject to public order, morality and health, every religious denomination or any section thereof shall have the right-

    1. to establish and maintain institutionsfor religious and charitable purposes;

    2. to manage its own affairs in matters of religion;

    3. to own and acquire movable and immovable property;

    4. to administer such property in accordance with law.

    CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION FOR WOMEN-

    Reservation of certain posts exclusively for women is valid under article 15(3), article 15 covers every sphere of State action;

    Clause (3) of article 15, which permits special provision for women and children, has been widely resorted to and the courts have upheld the validity of special measures in legislation or executive orders favouring women. In particular, provisions in the criminal law, in favour of women, or in the procedural law discriminating in favour of women, have been upheld.

    Similarly, provisions providing for reservation of seats for women in local bodies or in educational institutions are valid.

    Sexual harassment of working women amounts to violation of the rights guaranteed by articles 14, 15 and 23 (equality and dignity), the court has issued detailed directions on the subject.

    To conclude it can be mentioned that many constitutional provisions have highlighted the importance of social and economic opportunities for backward classes and women. It is very essential to uplift the status of such groups socially, economically, and so on.

    Reservation policy is very essential to the personality improvement of such classes. The present paper is an attempt to highlight the importance of reservation policies for backward classes and women.

     

    ICT and Community Empowerment: Role of DEF (Digital Empowerment Foundation) with regard to Digital Panchayat


    Sayam Deepathi* & Dr. J.Krishnaiah**

    *Assistant Professor, Malla Reddy College of Teacher Education (M.Ed).

    **Assisatnt Professor (C), Faculty of Education (IASE), Osmania University


    Community empowerment is high on the current policy agenda. The Department for Communities and Local Government is leading the drive to “enable more people to play an active role in the decisions that affect their communities”. NGO’s are playing remarkable role towards community empowerment, Digital Empowerment Foundation (DEF) is one of the great NGOs. With the motto of ‘Inform, Communicate and Empower,’ Digital Empowerment Foundation (DEF) started its journey in the month of December, 2002. Based out of New Delhi and registered as not-for-profit under the “Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, the effort at DEF has been to find sustainable Information Communication Technology (ICT) solutions including digital and new media to address digital divide in under-served and unreached regions and communities. With a non-political approach, it was founded to contribute to an enabling social and economic order in India as well as in developing societies with the need based support of ICT tools and means. Their ultimate vision is “to make the digital inclusion reach the masses, to create even opportunities and linkages between haves have-nots so that the gross roots knowledge reaches the economic prosperity and vice versa through information communication technology and Digital Media.” The founders are Osama Manzar and Shafali Cheikermane. One of the Important Projects is ‘DIGITAL PANCHAYAT’. Their Digital Panchayat project has been improving development and governance public service delivery at Panchayat level through information on policy programmes and implementation & it making the people to create a digital data house at every Panchayat level. So it is huge programme and programmes such like this should be appreciate by Government. The government should encourage researches in this area.

    Key Words: Community Empowerment, Digital Empowerment Foundation(DEF), ICT & Digital Panchayat.


    "Happiness is not the absence of Problems, it's the ability to deal with them”

    - Steve Maraboli


    INTRODUCTION TO COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT:

    Community empowerment is high on the current policy agenda. The Department for Communities and Local Government is leading the drive to “enable more people to play an active role in the decisions that affect their communities”. It produced a Community Empowerment Action Plan in 2007 to outline its own plans, and the new Community Empowerment White Paper will set out cross-Government commitments.

    Values into Action:

    Community Development Values Real community empowerment is the result of putting community development values into action. These are values of:

    • Learning: recognizing the skills, knowledge and expertise that people contribute, building on these and what has gone before.

    • Equality: challenging discrimination and oppressive practices within organizations, institutions and communities.

    • Participation: facilitating democratic involvement by people in the issues which affect their lives based on full citizenship, autonomy and shared power, skills, knowledge and experience.

    • Co-operation: working together to identify and implement action, encouraging networking and connections between communities and organizations.

    • Social justice: enabling people to claim their human rights, meet their needs and have greater control over the decision-making processes which affect their lives.

    INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL EMPOWERMENT:

    With the motto of ‘Inform, Communicate and Empower,’ Digital Empowerment Foundation (DEF) started its journey in the month of December, 2002. Based out of New Delhi and registered as not-for-profit under the “Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, the effort at DEF has been to find sustainable Information Communication Technology (ICT) solutions including digital and new media to address digital divide in under-served and unreached regions and communities. With a non-political approach, it was founded to contribute to an enabling social and economic order in India as well as in developing societies with the need based support of ICT tools and means. With ground work since 2003, DEF has reached over 22 States and 8 countries. The increasing and fruitful use of Information Communication Technology (ICT) is being recognized and acknowledged world over. That ICT is a great tool for development and empowerment is being realized by its various stakeholders. Countries of the world are resorting to use of ICT to better their socio-cultural and economic landscapes in ways feasible and sustainable depending on their ground level situations. Developed and under developed countries and societies are experiencing the increasing interventions of ICT in various domains of activities. The ICT components increasingly being used for development and empowerment purposes includes computer, Internet, Community Radio, audio-video, and other latest gadgets. Blogging is another new entrant in the ICT domain.

    So far ICT is being increasingly used in areas like livelihood, education, employment generation, entertainment, health, environment, sustainable development, ICT literacy, business, commerce, and in other fields. Instances have been reported in large numbers of how ICT has helped and assisted in community empowerment and development, trade and business, education and health and so on. In this entire gamut of ICT exercises credit goes to governments, CSOs, NGOs, individuals and others whose valuable contributions have bore fruit so far and the efforts still continues. So far so good. It is not roses all the way in case of ICT and its role in development and empowerment world over. There are increasing reports of digital divide, information poverty, information haves and have-nots, digital gaps, digital poverty which all point to the huge gap in making ICT available to a huge chunk of world population as well as to a huge section within a nation. India fits well into the above dichotomy of digital growth versus digital divide.

    It is more than a decade that ICT has seen its vertical as well as horizontal growth in various domains of interventions be it education, health, livelihood, trade and commerce and governance. Both public and private projects and programs have been initiated at the behest of Governments, CSOs, Corporate bodies, individuals using ICT. No doubt such gigantic exercises using ICT for development and empowerment have bore mixed outputs.

    There are reports emanating from states in India like Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Uttaranchal, Delhi where ICT has been used in the most utilitarian and quality perspectives. Instances are reported of how individuals and local communities are being empowered and sustained using various ICT tools like Internet, PC, CR and other mediums. Projects like NeGP, Mission 2007, CSCs, Info kiosks run by various bodies and agencies are all leading to an accelerated use of ICT for all round holistic growth and development of India.

    Despite all these, the bug of digital divide haunts India. There are cases where ICT has been pumped into those hands and heads wherein the existing environment is either healthier or better of vis-à-vis in those areas wherein even the basic services of ICT is still being deprived in terms of telecom facilities along with power non-availability, no PC penetration, no trace of Internet, no means of traditional technology and so on. With this the information gap is hurting the community development in the holistic sense. The rich-poor divide is seen to have its reflection in this information and ICT maps as well. With this there is left out huge gap for quality and timely interventions of ICT in those inaccessible, unreachable, alienated lands and communities for their upliftment and empowerment.

    MISSION:

    To constantly create an order of economic and knowledge empowerment of the people living at the edge of Information Communication Technologies and Digital Media.”

    • The mission of DEF is based on practical considerations and realistic visions. Its mission is to inspire individuals and communities to use technology for their own advantages.

    • The mission is to enable communities to be aware and conscious of the utility and necessity to using ICT for their upliftment and empowerment.

    • DEF’s mission is to see widespread development, use, spread, and promotion, and accessibility, affordability of digital content based on cultural specifics or language necessities.

    • The purpose is to bring the content delivery of ICT into limelight. The reason being content comprises the fundamental component of any ICT interventions. If technology inspires, content inspires more and is what ultimately matters in the long run.

    • The larger part of DEF’s mission is to contribute its efforts towards making India an information rich country vis-à-vis the world info society.

    • The mission is to fill in the gaps of digital divide in this country in terms of content gap, information and awareness gap, technology gap, in various intervention modes.

    • DEF’s mission shall be of seeing itself put continuous pressure on the policy framework and formulations pertaining to holistic promotion and growth of ICT and content in this subcontinent. In this drive it shall work along with like minded partners and supporters.

    VISION:

    The vision is a well thought out framework of ideas and perspectives on ICT and its utility in growth, development and empowerment:

    To make the digital inclusion reach the masses, to create even opportunities and linkages between haves have-nots so that the gross roots knowledge reaches the economic prosperity and vice versa through information communication technology and Digital Media.”

    • DEF’s vision is to see that there is no information barrier in India, that there should be no avenues for information gap among individuals and communities.  Behind this is the prime reason to understand that information barrier is the prime reason for the under-development and backwardness in India.

    • DEF vision is to see that information delivery and spread is being facilitated in every possible methods and ways including making information services available in local language content. This way it shall contribute in making so many information and knowledge communities and societies within India. No doubt this would result in socio-economic awakening and upliftment of the masses.

    • DEF’s vision is to see that individuals and communities in India do not lag behind or lie in backwardness due to lack of avenues to access the immense power of information and communication technologies. This way it shall contribute in making India a rich information society as well as an empowered country in the real sense.

    FOUNDERS:
    Osama Manzar and Shafali Cheikermane

    Mr. Osama Manzar is an entrepreneur, author, speaker, editor, columnist, and new media specialist who is spearheading the mission to overcome the information barrier between India’s rural sector, and the so-called developed society, through Digital Empowerment Foundation (DEF), the not-for-profit organisation founded to accomplish the mission.

    Ms. Chikermane is with expertise in creative and design world taking the leadership role in digital designed based solutions to various community centric programmes within Digital Empowerment Foundation. She has a professional experience of 14 years by now.

    THEIR NETWORK PRESENCE:

    Uttar Pradesh

    • Humen Welfare Association At Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. (www.hwavaranasi.in)

    • India Development Alternatives Foundation, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. (www.idaf.org.in)


    Uttarakhand

    • Central Himalayan Environment Association, Nainital, Uttarakhand. (www.cheaindia.org)

    • Henvalvani Community Radio At Chamba, Tehri Garhwal, Uttrakhand.

    Bihar

    • ALOK Sansthan, Jagdishpur, Bettiah, West Champaran, Bihar

    • Jan Nirman Kendra, Muzaffarpur, Bihar. (www.jnkrakesh.org)

    • Sampann India, Patna, Bihar. (www.sampann.org)

    Jharkhand

    • Gyan Vatika, A centre owned by DEF At Ranchi, Jharkhand.

    • Nav Jagriti Yuva Mandal, Birni, Gridih, Jharkhand.

    Madhya Pradesh

    • Chanderi Weavers ICT Resource Centre (CWIRC) At Chanderi, M.P. (www.chanderiyaan.chanderi.org)

    • Wainganga Community Development Center, Balaghat, M.P.

    Rajasthan

    • WASCO, Udaipur, Rajasthan.

    • Church’s Auxiliary For Social Action(CASA), Udaipur, Rajasthan. (www.casa-india.org)

    • Sankalp Mamoni At Baran, Rajasthan.(www.sankalpmamoni.in)

    • Sapna At Alwar, Rajasthan.(www.sapnango.in)

    • Barefoot College At Tilonia, Rajasthan. (www.barefootcollege.org)

    Assam

    • Digital Resource and Training Centre At Sonapur, Assam.

    • Nort East Development Foundation At Guwahati, Assam. (www.nedfindia.net)

    Haryana

    • Sristi Gyan Kendra At Puchkula, Haryana.(www.sgk.in)

    Tamil Nadu

    • Local Community Exchange Empowerment Trust (Lokalex), Theni, Tamil Nadu. (www.lokalex.com)

    • Keystone Foundation, Kottagiri, Nilgiri, Tamil Nadu. (http://keystone-foundation.org/)

    Odisha

    • Young India At Konark, Odisha. (www.youngindia.net.in)

    • Disha At Bhadrak, Odisha. (www.dishaorissa.org)

    Meghalaya

    • Impulse NGO Network, Shillong, Meghalaya. (www.impulseasia.org)

    Himanchal Pradesh

    • Mountain Forum Himalayas (MFH), Shimla, H.P. (http://www.mfhimalayas.org)

    Chandigarh

    • Punjab Digital Library At Chandigarh. (www.punjabdigilib.org)

    Andhara Pradesh

    • APMWS, Secunderabad, A.P.

    Karnataka

    • Technology For The People At Bangalore, Karnataka. (www.tftpeople.org)

    Maharashtra

    • SMSONE At Sadhu Vaswani Chowk, Pune, Maharashtra. (www.smsone.in)

    Kashmir

    • Koshish, Budgam, Kashmir

    West Bangal

    • Vivekananda Sevakendra –O- Sishu Uddyan (VSSU), W.B. (www.vssu.in)

    Nagaland

    • Youth Net At Kohima, Nagaland. (www.youthnet.org.in)

    CROSS COUNTRY NETWORK

    Nepal

    • Computer Association Of Nepal, Kathmandu, Nepal. (www.can.org.np)

    Bhutan

    • Rural Education and Development, Bhutan. (www.readglobal.org)

    PROJECTS:

    One of the Important Projects is ‘DIGITAL PANCHAYAT’:

    Digital Panchayat is a functional and dynamic digital platform and working station designed and created for each and every Panchayat in India, powered by Internet. The objective is to facilitate and improve Panchayat functioning on day-to-day basis, through two way flow of information and content. The goal is to realize various development objectives at grassroots level.


    Digital Panchayat Objectives:

    • To empower citizens of every panchayat with bottom up and top down information and content;

    • To improve development and governance public service delivery at Panchayat level through information on policy programmes and implementation;

    • Create a digital data house at every Panchayat level ;

    • To facilitate growth of Panchayat economy through promotion of Panchayat tourism, e-commerce of local produce;

    • To put every Panchayat on the global digital map;

    • To generate an ICT environment in every panchayat;

    • To give fillip to the Right to Information campaign.

    Digital Panchayat Component:

    • A comprehensive and dynamic local language content online platform

    • Integrated digital platform for panchayat demography, society, culture, geography, history & economy

    • A bilingual or multilingual information platform

    • e-trade and e-commerce platform

    • Local e-tourism platform

    • Online public grievance redressal forum

    • Local online resource center

    • Online communication and information networking platform

    • An e-Governance platform

    • A digital data storehouse

    Digital Panchayat Activities:

    • Develop a comprehensive Panchayat Digital Platform

    • To train Panchayat representatives in IT skills & management of Panchayat platform

    • Generation of Panchayat content

    • Regular updating and maintenance of Panchayat content

    DEF seeking local partners association:

    Partnership is fundamental and vital to achieve our goal of digital mission and sustainable development. Ours is a huge task and we think that we can achieve it through collective participation of one and all. DEF seeks local partnerships and collaboration with NGOs and institutes at local and regional level who would like to contribute their time and efforts to make Digital Panchayat national programme a success through networking, campaigning and outreach.

    For local NGOs and Institution who would like to be associated with DEF through Digital Panchayat can contribute as follows:

    • Identifying Panchayats in different villages to be converted on digital platform

    • Identify village Panchayats and its information, content and services needs

    • Frame parameters to collect the content to be displayed on the portal, Identify the people to collect it, orient them to collect it and assist them in collecting the required information

    • Project formulation and Implementation

    • Provide technical support and Human resource

    • Provide assistance in infrastructure hosting

    • Orient and train people including Panchayat staff on importance of web technology, using the technology, updating it and provide initial hand-holding support

    • Extend cooperation in regularly monitoring the program and evaluating the outcomes for the same on regular basis

    CONCLUSION:

    Digital Empowerment Foundation has been creating technologies that advance the way people live, work, and learn. To foster innovation and drive economic growth, everyone, especially girls and women, needs to be empowered with education, employment and entrepreneurial skills. It is one of the greatest NGO’s of India. Their Digital Panchayat project has been improving improve development and governance public service delivery at Panchayat level through information on policy programmes and implementation & It making the people to create a digital data house at every Panchayat level. So it is huge programme and programmes such like this should be appreciate by Government. The government should encourage researches in this area.

     

    Presentation of a new paradigm of human resources development in Iran


    Hossein Niavand*, Farzaneh Haghighat nia**, Morteza Ansari***

    & Asmaalsadat Mousavinia****

    *Research scholar,in Statistics Department at University of Mysore , India

    **M.Sc. of Financial Engineering Industrial Engineering and Management system Amir Kabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran

    ***Research scholar,Management Department, University of Mysore , India

    ****Research scholar,Commerce Department, University of Mysore , India


    Abstract

    Today knowledge society the human resources development (HRD) is of critical importance in both enhancing the competitiveness of nations and insurance social integration to wards national development. As it is well known, Korea has achieved remarkably rapid economic growth in the past 50 years to transform the poverty – ridden country in to the worlds largest country. Its export – oriented industrialization depend on tangible in puts and in particular Korea effectual utilized the countries cheap and well- educated labor forces a key factor driving such labor – intensive industries as textile and clothing industries. Well in this critical time of global economic domestic and foreign direct investment in a major action for the national economy is considered. Domestic and foreign investment to create jobs in the job supply and quality of life improvement with the aim of achieving production of the new jobs will have an important contribution. Develop and expand industrial investment which makes domestic investment is mobility this issue is so greatly importance that should be Iranian government action. This requires an immediate action to resolve problems. Particular domestic investment and foreign investment in the business for commercial activities and thus make the action will be thriving job market, in line with models, the government published a response to management personnel to purpose foreign investment that surely and certainly a great help to the realization of investment in business and management guidance personnel acting in a reasonable and a useful and effect five manner in compliance with standards, lows will have to work according to the country's population and rate of tissue university graduates and growing imbalance between job seekers and other hand lack of jobs for graduates, the challenges facing numerous government placed.

    According to the latest population estimates by the end of 2009-2010 to 75 million will mature .peak age population aged 24 years who started to work and family formation. Net immigration country according to the migration of neighboring countries is negative. But immigration among individuals with higher education is common.

    Absolutely one of the youngest countries is considered. We are studying the population 18 million people in the elementary grades to high school and about two million people are at different levels of university. Note worthy that approximately one million annual university accepted in public universities and there is of Azad university and the other hand, the same name before parallel in put graduate levels. According to the present unemployment rate of university graduates seems that until 2011-2012 the unemployment crisis facing the government will be Prospects facing the government can be combined to achieve national global proper place.

    Many Programs and plane available on the internal and external process for solving the unemployment problem. We hope that this essay help to solving problem. Mean while we hope that this essay help personnel managers and practitioners to effective governmental efforts made by boarding up and planning to improve working conditions and conditions for young people seeking work to create effective business and this way capable and can afford to produce the necessary jobs and farther increasing the national economy.

    Keywords: Human Resources, paradigm, Education, Society, E-learning

     

    Introduction

    A new human resources policy for Iran need for a new development paradigm human resource development is an important issue that needs active involvement of the government and the people. human resources development cannot be equal to automatically by market forces only due to the imperfectness of capital market, labor market and skills market. Due to the imperfectness of the market, it is possible that the wage level attained from education and training may not reach the respective marginal productivity. More over the benefit of education and training tend to bypass the party paying for it, and flow to the trainees and employers. The result is that employers tend to by pass the party paying for it, and flow to the trainees and employers. The result is that employers tend to hire skilled workers rather than invest in employ.

    Education and training consequently, society as whole fails to achieve a desirable level of investment in education and training. In addition, human resource development policy is significant as an active policy measure to achieve social integration, for it can ease or alleviate the digital divide, or the knowledge and information gap between various groups in society. Especially, the low, income groups and socially marginalized groups that are less capable of adapting to the rapidly changing economic environment are likely to experience widening of economic, social and cultural differences, which will aggravate the problem of polarization national human resources development policy can be used as an effective measure to lessen or remove such social polarization. Labor market polarization can be prevented and social integration promoted, if the widening of the knowledge gap is averted through development of human resources targeting the more vulnerable groups of society. By supporting continuous vocational development, labor productivity can be improved and in come gap narrowed.

    Principal theory

    Between new paradigm vocational education and human resources there is a relation.

    In a knowledge-based society, the sharing and expansion of knowledge and information travel has accelerated tremendously in connection with the rapid expansion of the internet and ICT (Information and Communication Technologies).

    The flow of information is one of the important agents of change in society. Thus, many nations around the world have created key policies for developing human resources with a focus on acquiring and expanding knowledge and information.

    With these shifting policies, e-learning has emerged as a new alternative in education and training. The initiative to develop national human resources through e-learning has been widely adapted by the Korean government as e-learning overcomes the limits of time and space and contributes to knowledge expansion through interaction. Korea has one of the strongest foundations for e-learning in the world. In a report by England's economist intelligence unit, which compared the e-learning readiness of 60 countries, Korea ranked among the top five countries (Economist Intelligent Unit) (EIU, 2003).

    The study was conducted using approximately 150 qualitative and quantitative standards of measurement. The were grouped into four sectors (education, industry, government and society). The degree of readiness in each sector was then measured according to' general contact with and usage of the internet' attitude towards new technology' and the usage of internet- based learning programs.

    Education sector

    Adapting ICT into education, korea's e-learning policy-making system consists of the government, local government agencies, education-related agencies, the private sector, and school. The national policy for ICT in education is formulated and enforced by the ministry of education and human resources development.

    The MOE & HRD establishes and plans policies, extends administrative and financial support, and operates a national cooperative system.

    Metropolitan and provincial offices of education establish plans and operate a cooperation system for supporting schools. Schools improve the quality of education and promote e-learning. EDUNET develops models and research policies, supports the sharing of resources and establishes national standards, and provides a one- stop service at the national level.

    Teaching-learning supports centers develop and research policies for municipal and provincial offices, operate web portals at the metropolitan and provincial level, and support teaching learning help centers. Teaching-learning help centers manage teaching-learning resources and operate school websites.

    Benefits of E-learning

    E-learning is the use of electronic educational technology in learning and teaching.

    Convenience and Portability

    • Courses are accessible on your schedule

    • Online learning does not require physical attendance

    • Learning is self-paced (not too slow, not too fast)

    • You're unbound by time - courses are available 24/7

    • You're unbound by place - study at home, work, or on the road

    • Read materials online or download them for reading later

    Cost and Selection

    • Choose from a wide range of courses to meet your needs

    • Degree, Vocational, and Certificate programs

    • Continuing Education

    • Individual courses

    • Wide range of prices to fit your budget

    • Go back to school to get a degree, learn a new skill, learn a new craft, or just have fun!

    • From art to zoology you can do it all online in a price range to fit your budget.

    Flexibility

    • Online learning accommodates your preferences and needs - it's student-centered

    • Choose instructor-led or self-study courses

    • Skip over material you already know and focus on topics you'd like to learn

    • Use the tools best suited to your learning styles

    Higher Retention

    • Online learning will draw you to topics you like and enjoy. Studies show that because of this and the variety of delivery methods used to reach different types of learners, retention is frequently better than in a traditional classroom.

    Greater Collaboration

    • Technology tools make collaboration among students much easier. Since many projects involve collaborative learning, the online environment is far easier (and often more comfortable) to work in since learners don't have to be face-to-face.

     Global Opportunities

    • The global learning community is at your fingertips with online learning. The technologies used give online instructional designers the ability to build in tools that take you to resources you may never see in a traditional classroom.

    Training sector

    In the job-training sector, corporate workers are usually the main targets of e-learning support. In the public sector, the ministry of labor and its affiliated offices are in charge of providing training services, training information, and financial support for training. In the private sector, on the other hand , they are in charge of e-learning contents development, training service, support programs, and development of tools. In order to better represent their interests, a federation of e-learning industries was also founded to carry out cooperative work in e-learning service and research. While the Korea research institute for vocational education & training (KRIVET) administers specialized research and development in the field of job training, the human resources development service of Korea uses the EBS channel to provide job broadcasting to e-learning recipients and the internet to directly provide distance-learning services.

    The Further , employment caners found in various regions provide information on e-learning along with information and counseling to individuals who wish to either change their place of employment or find a job. The system has been set up so that individuals can use the work information center's HRD-net to search for information about training institutes and training courses.

    Conclusion

    Education and Research comfort of society marginalized groups needs to be therefore strengthened to promote social integration. For effective national human resources development, the Iranian government and people need to focus on the following.

    • First, the government needs to strength then the link age between school education and the world of work and move away from a supplier –oriented education system.

    • Second vocational education and training need to become more specialized and diversified. Under the knowledge- based economy, the nature of knowledge information is such that it requires not only various educational courses but also vocational education that is specialized and diversified for specific groups to ensure that all those who need it are provided with such opportunities.

    • Third the government needs to establish a lifelong learning system. In a knowledge based- economy, the creation, transfer, sharing and use of knowledge is highly dynamic, and the speed of knowledge evolution is fast. Hence, the government must take responsibility for providing educational opportunities that make learning possible for anyone, anywhere and at any time.

    • Fourth, the government needs to support and encourage human resources development among small- and medium- sized enterprise. Continuous development of vocational completeness is necessary for all.

    • Fifth, the government prepared E- learning for all people and used in the live.

    • Sixed, the government and people both together prepared and known importance e-learning and research.

    • Seventh, the government can prepared marketing with people.

    References

    1. Backe. (2002).not.e-learning. Information communication industry trend software and internet.

    2. Braverman, harty(1974). Labour and monopoly capital- the degradation of work in the 20 century.

    3. Chang. C.W(2003).a study on the establishment of comprehend sive measures of human resources development in the age of per capital in come us $ 20,000.

    4. Choen, young-seoul & kim,doo-soon(2004). The structure and characteristic of non- wage workers, control employment information office (in korea).

    5. Framarz rafee pour.( 2003) obstacles of Iran scientific growth.

    6. Houseen azimy arani.(1994).un development economic of Iran.

    7. Iran program and budget organization(1998)

    8. Mouhammad Roushan.(1998) human resources development.

    9. You ssef Rounagh.(2004) work study and job standard

    10. Johnson, S. (2011). Digital tools for teaching: 30 e-tools for collaborating, creating, and publishing across the curriculum. Gainesville, FL: Maupin House. [UWA Library]

     

    REFLECTIONS ON SPORTS AS AN ALTERNATE EDUCATION SYSTEM & COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT


    CHANDRASHEKAR.K

    Physical Education Director, Govt. First Grade Collage, Gundlupet.


    ABSTRACT

    India is a big country with a population crossing billions. It is considered as an economic super power & her cultural heritage is known for its diversity . But Indian performance in the field of sports is very much meager & Indian sports scenario is suffering from several shortfalls. It can become an alternative educative system involving all classes of society. It can provide inclusive growth for communities which are tribal, under privileged, marginal & rural. Sports can be a media for development of a community which can unite them into an integral part of a community by furthering their brotherhood bondage. It serves as a solution to several youth issues. This paper highlights the linkages for making sports as an agent of alternate education ,socio- cultural development & a strong media for community empowerment.

    Keywords: Alternate Education , Youth Issues , Inclusive development, L Development agency , Community Empowerment


    INTRODUCTION

    These days Indian sports sector is becoming more popular as youth are attracted towards sports as their career option. But earlier sports was just part of traditional learning system. Government of India is supporting sports as a corporate enterprise through

    1. Establishment of Sports academies

    2. Establishment of sports hostels

    3. Incentive for national & international sport winners

    4. Incentives for coaches with exemplary credentials

    5. Promotion of sports with honors, medals & prizes

    6. Allocation of budgetary funds to sport events

    7. Funding through NGOS

    8. Promotion of rural , tribal , rare sports

    9. Promotion of sports with sponsorship

    10. Cash rewards for rural talents

    THE CONCEPT

    The concept that sports as an alternative education is being perceived across the globe because of its potentialities. It's function as a tool of providing socio- cultural knowledge & community empowerment is being conjectured. Sports can become an alternate educative system. It can be a tool in sharing a good relationship with community. It is beneficial to community for several reasons.

    1. Helps in generating good employment- It plays a pivotal role in overall development of the youth. It helps them .Youth can make sports as a means of finding employment & career base. It gives them a platform to develop their aptitudes ( Stephen Robson -Strategic sports development , Route ledge , 2013). Youth can find opportunities as coaches. medical advisers, psycho therapists, psycho analysts , physical instructors, hygiene experts trainers yoga guides, sport reporters , sports journalists , indoor /outdoor sports specialists, individual sports mentors , sports professionals sports counselors , sports authority masters, personal trainers for celebrities , gym owners , private sports club entrepreneurs , sporting event managers, sports meets managers, sports funding agents, sports article vendor , sports uniform maker, personal dieticians, nutrition experts, nutrition supplements / health drink producer „ energy drink producer etc

    2. Helps in career making- They can become best examples of career makers. They become role models in future .Sports can play a role of a master in guiding the community towards uniqueness & exceptionality. It enhances the chances of people to promote community adventure sporting in cycling, swimming ,running , sprinting boat riding , jumping , skating , girdling , whipping , jumping. thumping , skipping , hammering , pounding , archery , aquatics , equestrian events , animal polo ,mud racing ,cross country races , rock climbing , trekking , hiking , ice climbing , mountaineering ,trumpeting , Marble Sporting , reverse walking , swift walking ,rope walking , pole twining , swinging . pole tilting , etc

    3. Helps to promote healthy habits- Sports as an alternative education system solves the health issues of the youth involved in it. It gives them good healthy habits. Today's youth are suffering from drug addiction , alcohol obsession , pre marital sexual passion etc . They are becoming vulnerable to several high risk diseases. Sport can involve them in their best capacities & they can march towards demonstrating their best skills with good habitual tendencies.

    4. Helps in inclusive growth of community - sports as an alternative education helps to inculcate best community practices as it ensures equity of involvement in learning, delivering & empowering the tribal minority & socially excluded communities with access & fairness. It supports the deprived communities to empower themselves through alternate education.

    5. Helps in capacity building - Sports if taken as an alternate source of education enhances their competitive spirit as it helps to build capacity. Aptitude sports skills can be learnt through sporting seminars, trainings, orientations, symposiums, conferences & collective training camps. It transforms a regular youth into a responsible collective discussion group. They learn team spirit , leadership qualities, competence & fortitude.

    6. Helps to build awareness - Sports if taken as an alternate source of education helps to get awareness about social concerns such as environmental, hygienic, ethnic, societal, cultural, and intellectual & health issues as community understands the importance of sports as an agent of ensuring health & fitness. It enhances vigor, health consciousness ,diet awareness , nutrition supplements awareness , nourishment awareness etc It can also promote alternate education system to find bright career options within a community.

    POSITIVE IMPACT ON CHILDREN

    Children who participate actively in every sporting event will be benefited as sports bring in lot of joy of participation. As they grow up they can be attracted to take up sports as a career. To give e good beginning , sport as an alternative education. enhances their knowledge about the community involvement & instills asense of delight in practicing them. ( Stephen Robson -Strategic sports development , Route ledge , 2013).This helps them to visualize good & healthy practices for the sake of community as well as self. Community will be naturally refined with the vigorous & sophisticated thoughts of this young generation. It brings in a sense of support , security feeling & protection for them. (Santhi N. and Rajesh Kumar S. (2011), Entrepreneurship Challenges and Opportunities in India).

    POSITIVE IMPACT ON PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT

    Sports as an alternative education system promotes voluntary involvement as people take supportive participation in becoming an integral part of it. The communities take organizational involvement such as the whole process of learning through sporting education calls for several components working together with mutual consultation ( Stephen Robson -Strategic sports development , Route ledge , 2013).This desires understanding of the community interests as entire community engage in comprehending the immediate requirements of taking up sports as an alternative source of education.(Santhi N. and Rajesh Kumar S. (2011), Entrepreneurship Challenges and Opportunities in India).

    POSITIVE IMPACT ON WOMEN

    Sports as an alternative source of education promotes inclusive growth for women . They can learn various attributes of community living through sports & take up as an educational course. Sitting at home they can learn new aptitudes .Gender equity is thus enabled. they can participate in sport activity with & entertain themselves with participation. It promotes self esteem & personal achievement for women who are always burdened with domestic work.. This helps them to visualize good & healthy practices for the sake of community & they instill the same to their children.

    POSTIVE IMPACT ON EMPLOYMENT GENERATION-

    It can prove as a ground for future coaches & players practioners in rural / urban / tribal / remote areas. It helps in contributing new thoughts & opens avenues for furthering sport skills. It can become a superlative practice later on. ( Santhi N. and Rajesh Kumar S.(2011), Entrepreneurship Challenges and Opportunities in India). It promotes application f practical skill as it enables individual competency, team building & personality building which helps in empowerment of community with affirmative attitudes.( Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2013).

    CONCLUSION

    Thus sports as an alternate education can deviate the entire community towards good healthy practices & foster community development. But the idea has to become popular in India where sports as is not very popular & people still visualize sports as supplementary part of traditional education. Sport can make a career for everybody in the community only its preliminary significance has to be comprehended at the beginning stage. Sports can be a media for development of a community has been proved by western countries . In India too it can unite them into an integral part of a community by furthering their brotherhood bondage. the linkages for making sports as an agent of social cultural development & a strong media for community empowerment is what is needed today.

    REFERENCES -

    1. Desai & others -India Human Development in India challenges for a society in transition 2010 New Delhi Oxford university press

    2. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2012

    3. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2011 5. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2010 6. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2009

    4. Stephen Robson-Strategic sports development , Route ledge , 2013

    5. Santhi N. and Rajesh Kumar S. (2011), Entrepreneurship Challenges and Opportunities in India, Bonfring International Journal of Industrial Engineering and-Management Science, Vol. 1, Special Issue, December.


     

    THE ROLE OF NGOs IN THE EMPOWERMENT OF TRIBAL COMMUNITY IN BILIGIRIRANGANA BETTA- ASTUDY OF VIVEKANANDA GIRIJANA KENDRA


    RADHA. M.S

    Assistant Professor, S.B.R.R. Mahajana First Grade College Jayalakshmipuram, Mysore


    ABSTRACT

    This paper shall to endevour to a paper discuss the contribution of NGO’s towards the empowerment of Tribal Community in BiligiriranganaBetta ( B.R. Hills). It illustrates some of the significant functions and programmes of NGO’s in the upliftment of Tribal Community in B.R. Hills. The area of field study is located in and around BiligiriRangaSwamy Temple ( BRT) wild life sanctuary which is the home of an aboriginal tribe Soliga. The terrain is highly undulating with attitude ranging from 600 meters to 1800 metes above mean sea level. In the deep forest of B R H hills where the western and eastern ghats forests meet in Southern Karnataka. The soligas a semi nomadic tribe have lived for ages in the deep forest. The hilly forest belt accounts for the presence of four major tibal groups consisting of JenuKurabas, KaduKurubas, Yeravas and Soligas. Tribal people over the centuries have become one of the most disadvantaged, exploited and neglected social groups in our country. They are subject to the problem of uprooting and displacement because their forest habitations have been declared wild life reserves and sanctuaries and they have been resettled in colonies in the fringes of the forest. There is a Socio environmental revolution brewing at the heart of B.R. Hills. Once socially backward and exploited Soligas the indigenous people in this region are today running successful business enterprises with the declaration of the area. The traditional home of the Soligas as the Biligirirangantempe (BRT) wild life sanctuary in 1974 shifting agriculture and hunting were completely banned by the government. The work in B.R Hills of Karnataka by a young dedicated doctor Dr. Sudarshan a Medical doctor on the primary health care at the Saligas Tribes is an unique example of the role of equity, social justice, maximum community participation. It is a successful role model for similar geo-social settings in our state and country. The work includes empowerment of the Soligas. VGKK ( Vivekananda GirijanaKayana Kendra) work in the field of health and education is an illustrated example of self empowerment of tribal community in B.R. Hills. The level of literacy is undoubtedly one of the most important indicators of social cultural and health development among the tribal communities. There was hardly any awareness among the Saligas about the modern system of education and health . The aim of the present paper examines the role of NGO,s in empowering tribal community in B.R. Hills. The core involves identifying the issues, role of NGO and the effect in all relevant dimensions.


    INTRODUCTION:

    The Biligirirangan hills, commonly called B.R. hills, is a hill range situated in South-Eastern Karnataka, as its border Tamil-Nadu (Erode District) in south India. The area is called Biligiriranga Swamy Temple wildlife Sanctuary or simply BRT wildlife Sanctuary. It is a protected reserve under the wildlife protection act of 1972. Being at the confluence of the Western Ghats and the Eastern Ghats, the sanctuary is home to eco systems for both the mountain ranges. The site was declared a Tiger Reserve in December 2010.

    The hills are in the Yelandur and Kollegala Taluk of Chamarajanagar district of Karnataka. The hills are contiguous with the Sathyamangalam wild life Sanctuary to the south, in the Erode District of Tamil Nadu. The range of the hill is 90 kilometers (56 ml) from Mysore and 160 kilometers (99 ml) from Bangalore. The hills are located at the Eastern most edge of the Western Ghats and support diverse flora and fauna in view of the varies habitat types supported. A wildlife sanctuary of 3,224 square kilometers (124.5 sq. m) was created around the temple on June 27 – 1974 and enlarged to 540 sq. K.m (208.31 sq. ml) on January 14-1987. The sanctuary derives its name Biligiri from the white rock face that constitutes the major hill crowned with the temple of Lord Ranga Swamy.

    The big Michelia Champaka known as “Dodda sampige” in the holiest For the soliga tribe in Biligiri Ranga Swamy Temple (BRT) wildlife sanctuary in Chamarajanagar district. Doddasampige a sacred grove revered by the soligas.

    The forest area is a home for many medicinal and other endemic species. The scrub vegetation type of forest is a home for “Adina Cordifolia”, “Zizyplus”, “Santalum album”, “Accacia sps”. The semi evergreen forests which includes Michelia champaca and Bombax Celiba. The BRT witness for 79 species of woods. Variety of orchids are also present in the sanctuary. The soliga tribes are accustomised to use more than 300 herbs for the treatment of various ailments. There are 140 families of plants in the hills. The BR hills links the Eastern Ghats and the Western Ghats allowing animals to move between them and facilitating gene flow between population of species in these areas, this sanctuary serves as an important biological bridge for the biota of the entire Deccan plateau.

    The most conspicuous mammals in the B.R hills are the herds of wild elephants. The forests were the study area for R. Sukumar, a scientist who studied the elephants of the area in the early eighties, survey has revealed the presence of 17 tigers in the sanctuary, well known for Gaur, bovines and it is a good place for viewing many other large and small animals. There are about 26 species of mammals recorded in the sanctuary. A recently discovered species includes a microhylid frog, microhyla sholigari, named after the soligas, an indigenous tribe that inhabit these hills, 29 varieties of snakes, 270 varieties of birds and 230 types of butterflies (according to the sources).



     

    RANGES OF B.R.T WILDLIFE SANCTUARY

    The forests are managed by the Karnataka Forest Department, an IFS (Indian Forest Service) of the rank of a deputy conservator of forests is in charge of the sanctuary. The sanctuary is divided into four ranges – Yelandur, Kollegala, Chamarajanagar and Punjur ranges, with the Kollegala range being the largest range headed by a range forest officer. More than hundreds of years, this region has been the home for the semi-nomadic Soliga tribe. The forest regions of Yelandur Chamaraja nagar and Kollegala, including the hilly tracts and foot hills of Biligirangan and Male Mahadeshwara in the southern part of Karnataka, are inhabited by nearly twenty five thousand Soliga tribal people. The Soligas were inhabited nature worshipers and reverse a large Champaka tree called Dodda Sampige in local language.


    There are two local NGOs which work for integrated tribal development and biodiversity conservation in the sanctuary.

    • Definition of NGOs: A non-governmental organization (NGO) is any non-profit, voluntary citizens group which is organized on a local, national or international level. Task oriented and driven by people with a common interests, NGOs perform a variety of service and humanitarian functions, bring citizen concerns to governments, advocate and monitor policies and encourage political participation through provision of information. Some are organized around specific issues such as human rights, environment or health. They provide analysis and expertise, serve as early warning mechanisms and help monitor and implement international agreements; this relationship with officers and agencies of the United Nations systems differs depending on their goals, their venue and the mandate of a particular institution.

    • Definition of Empowerment

    1. Empowerment is based on the idea that giving employee’s skills, resources authority, opportunity, motivation as well holding them responsible and accountable for outcomes of their actions will contribute to their competence and satisfaction.

    2. Make someone stronger and more confident, especially in controlling their life and claiming their rights.

    • Definition of Tribes

    1. Tribes are very commonly referred to as “Adivasi”.

    2. Risley V Edwin and others used the word “Aboriginals” to mean Tribals.

    3. Takkar Bopa an indigenous social reformer called the tribal’s “Adipraja”.

    4. Tribes are also known as “Vanavasis”, “Aranyavasis”, “Vanyajatis” etc.

    SOLIGAS

    The Soligas believe their ancestors originated from the bamboo. The word Soliga says Luiz (1963) is a corruption of the Tamil word “Colai” or “Solai” (Athickest) and refers to the dense thickest in which they live, and hence Soliga is the one from the Solai. In short, both their oral history as well as linguistic analysis reveals their close relationship with nature.

    This paper shall Endeavour to discuss the contribution of NGO’s towards the empowerment of Tribal Community in BiligiriranganaBetta ( B.R. Hills). It illustrates some of the significant functions and programmes of NGO’s in the upliftment of Tribal Community in the areas of Education, Health and Social Status of community living in Biligiriranga Swamy hills of Chamaraja nagar district in south Karnataka. The area of field study is located in and around BiligiriRangaSwamy Temple ( BRT) wild life sanctuary which is the home of an aboriginal tribe. They are the communities dwelling nearby mountain range and forest. These tribal groups inhabit widely varying ecological and geo-climatic conditions especially found in the altitude ranging between 1000 and 1800 meters, tribal groups are homogenous culturally firm developed strong and unique health care system. They wish to survive and live in their own style. Although the Government initiated several developmental programmes to modernize these villages about four decades ago. Soligas of these villages did not benefit much as they were living in the forest, which is highly inaccessible prior to 1980. Soligas living in the sanctuary had no electricity, water supply, health care facilities, and schools.

    There have been a number of studies on the tribes, their culture and the impact of acculturation on the tribal society in various parts of the country. There are some other studies [Subbayya (1965), Gopal (1965); Sheshadri (1968)] which deal mainly with the problems of Soligas of B.R. Hills. A detailed intensive study of the Soliga one of the nine settlements in B.R. hills namely Yarakana Gadde was selected by Morab in (1965) to study the Socio-Economic and cultural aspects of the people, their religious belief, family and kinship and their problems. But these issues have not been properly focused in relation to their educational status.

    Soligas traditionally hunters and shifting cultivators, they have lived in the forest for centuries, apart from practicing shifting agriculture, hunting wildlife they were also gathering a wide variety of products from the forest. There were about nine Podus in 1965 according to the study conducted by Morab.

    Presently there are ten Podus in BRH

    • Muttugada Gadde Podu

    • Vasu Podu

    • Bangle Podu

    • Yarakana Gadde Podu

    • Sege Betta Podu

    • Manje Gundi Podu

    • Kalyani Podu

    • Purani Podu

    • Devarahalli Podu (not in survey)

    • Murati Palya Podu (not in survey)

    Soligas change their settlements usually after a lapse of four years. They used to come to a new place where the land is fertile for cultivation. Since the authorities have banned the shifting cultivation and imposed restrictions, they are finding it difficult to come to a new site after 1974. They have given a small piece of land (1 ha to 2 ha) to practice settled agriculture. But the rights allow Soligas to continue gathering a variety of non-timber forest product (NTFps) from the state owned forest lands in the sanctuary (Hegde et. al 1996). They engage in cultivating the given place of land by growing coffee, jowar, ragi & other small millets as a low input farming. Government restricted the Soligas to core area (related to wild animal area). Zonal area where the Soligas live.

    But in the year 1979 medical doctor by name Sudarshan with a group of dedicated volunteers realized the need for a comprehensive programme to address their Socio-Economic needs. Dr. Sudarshan set up a medical health centre and a primary school education for the Soliga children in the year 1981 where only 06 students took the benefit. They use to come from various Podu. Doctor himself use to go to Podu for the motivation for the tribal children. There has been a phenomenal change in their attitude towards life and their Socio-Economic status.

    To uplift the Soliga people he also set up a non-profit organization called the VGKK (Vivekananda Girijana Kalyana Kendra) has made a breakthrough in providing the basic needs like Health care, Education and viable livelihood to the Soligas from being exploited and deprived from their traditional habits. Dr. Sudarshan inspired by Vivekananda, came to work with Dr. Narasimhan in Ooty. He soon found that his work was not only satisfying it was also enormously challenging. Dr. Narasimhan’s work with the tribals prompted doctor to offer his services to tribals.

    Later on a small hut was constructed under the Sampige tree and started new hospital with two staff, financial and moral support came from friends and Rama Krishna Ashrama in Mysore.

    In the year 1990 tribal children education extended from 6th standard to 10th standard (SSLC) with a total strength of 500 students (according to the source of primary teacher in VGKK)

    VGKK is an NGO which has been providing excellent Education, Social and health care services to the tribal people of B.R. hills.

    VISION AND MISSION OF VGKK

    VISION

    A self reliant and empowered tribal society rooted in its culture and tradition, living in harmony with nature.

    MISSION

    Sustainable development of tribal people through rights based approaches to health, education, livelihood security and biodiversity conservation.

    OBJECTIVES OF VGKK

    To implement a comprehensive, holistic, need-based, gender and culture sensitive and community centered system of health care integrating indigenous health traditions.

    • To establish an education system

    • To promote biodiversity conservation and sustainable harvesting of non-timber forest produce.

    • To ensure livelihood security through sustainable agriculture. Vocational training and value addition of forest produce.

    • To empower tribal communities through sanghas (peoples organization) and women’s self help groups.

    In southern India many tribes who have isolated from the mainstream because of this location and their way of life. British ruled India more for several years but did not do anything for the Soligas. VGKK has made a tremendous change in the development of tribal community in Biligiri Rangan Betta. When doctor enter B.R hills the Soligas started running from him because of the strange medicine. Basically Soligas use home made medicines by depending upon the forest medicinal plant.

    Now VGKK has more than 30 years of developmental experience with the Soligas and other tribes in Chamarajanagar and Mysore districts of Karnataka. Tribal development with Education, Health, Livelihoods and Biodiversity conservation as the means to sustainable development and empowerment.

    EDUCATION

    • School preschool to SSLC for more than 500 tribal girls and boys with hostel facilities and a sports facility (free education)

    • Four non-formal schools in remote forest areas.

    • Pre-university college Arts and Science

    • Industrial training institute.

    • Job – oriented course in forestry

    • Drama school

    HEALTH

    • 20 bedded tribal hospital with laboratory

    • X Ray and operation theatre

    • Tele medicine and screening for Rheuematic heart disease.

    • Mobile medical unit.

    • Community based preventives, promotive and rehabilitation programme through local health workers.

    • Sickle cell anemia research and screening work training programme for Dias, health workers and house surgeons.

    • Implementation of National health programmes, leprosy, tuberculosis, epilepsy, blindness control, mental health, dental health and community based rehabilitation programmes.

    • Nutrition, safe drinking water and sanitation

    • Traditional medicines and revitalization of local health traditions.

    • Tribal auxiliary nurse mid wife (ANM) programme.

    • ASHA

    VOCATIONAL TRAINING PROGRAMMES

    • Agarbathi ( perfume sticks) making

    • Carpentry work

    • Tailoring & knitting

    • Cane & Bamboo craft

    • Note book unit

    • Honey processing

    • Food processing (with CFTRI Mysore)

    • Herbal medicine processing unit

    • Candle making

    • Mat weaving

    • Leaf cup

    • Screen printing

    • Welding

    • Cloth weaving

    • Bakery items.

    COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION

    • To facilitate people’s organization (Soliga Abhivruddi sanga) at village and district levels.

    • Sanghas take part in planning and implementation of development programs through government and other agencies.

    • Promote & strengthen self help groups

    • Collaboration of village resource centres with collaboration with ISRO for tele-education, tele agriculture, livelihood opportunities and a governance.

    Net working and Advocacy for the promotion of tribal federation.

    Technology resource centre for food processing, organic farming, herbal medicines conservation, cultivation for harvesting and marketing.

    Conservation and Livelihood security

    • People’s action against forest fire, purchasing and querrying.

    • Sustainable harvesting of NTFP and processing honey, Amla and herbal medicine.

    • Capacity building of tribal co-operation

    • Environment education in school

    • Conservation education and eco-tourism

    • Sustainable agriculture – organic farming and seed bank promotion.

    Karuna trust is a sister organization of VGKK which is meant for the development of trust where as the VGKK is meant for the society.

    A part from Biligirirangan hills, doctor has extended his service to other states:

    • Arunachal Pradesh

    • Andaman and Nicobar

    • Meghalaya

    • Assam

    • Madhya Pradesh

    • Andhra Pradesh and

    • Karnataka

    • Kashmir

    • Orissa

    Sudarshan has earned many awards both at National and International level for his empowerment of the tribal people. Some of them are

    • Right Livelihood Award

    • Padmashree

    • Ponna Veni Sheti Veda

    • Ramakrishna Gold Medal

    • Rajya Prashasthi

    • Ambedkar Prashasthi

    • Basavashri Award

    Even the Government has taken many initiations and implemented many measures and programmes for the development and protection of Soligas like providing free housing, issue of free lands for their agricultural purposes, promoting Horticulture, protecting them from wild animals and other predators , proving free ration (food grains) , providing the aid of Self-help group, issue of old age pension , set up free educational institutions in Chamarajanagar including free hostel facilities for the tribals and many other services and aids.

    CONCLUSION

    The VGKK establishment has made tremendous and remarkable changes in Soligas development especially in Education, Health and their Attitude towards life and other Community people and reached the epitome development of Biligiri Rangan Hills. This isolated community became familiar to people and to the world because of the initiation taken by Dr.Sudarshan.

    REFERENCE:

    • Primary data (Biligiri Ranga Hills)

    • Secondary data from VGKK books and brochure


     

     

    Need of Islamic Banking in India and its challenges


    HEENA KHOWSER

    Assistant Professor of Commerce & Management, Government First Grade College, Pandavapura, Mandya


    Abstract

    Banking is the lifeline of any Modern economy.It is one of the important pillars of the financial system, which plays a vital role in the performance of an economy. Banks play an important role in the mobilization of deposits and disbarment of credit to various sectors of economy. For the last couple of years the growth of normal banking. Currently there are more than 300 Islamic banks throughout the world holding assets over $200billion. The Middle East, The South East Asia (Which primarily include Malaysian and Indonesia) and Europe are the main emerging hubs of the Islamic Banking and finance. The Focus of Islamic banking in India as well as the accompanying challenges of Islamic Banking in India.


    Introduction

    Banking is an important financial intermediary and essential institution in the present global economic system and in agriculture sector which plays important role for the economic development of a country like India. Among the Bank Sector one of the Important bank which is based on Islamic law called Shariah is Islamic bank and based on Interest free banking and permits only profit sharing based banking system of early as 1940”S Quran that says “ Allah has allowed only limited trade and prohibits interest “. Islamic banking having the same purpose as conventional banking except that it operates according to Muslim law called Shariah. Islamic Banking, the more general term is excepted not only to avoid interest based transaction, prohibited in the Islamic Shariah, but also to avoid unethical practices and participated in achieving goals and objectives of an Islamic economy.

    Origin

    The Origin of Islamic Banking system can be traced back to the advent of Islam when the Prophet himself carried out trading operation for his wife. The “Mudarbah” or Islamic partnerships has been widely appreciated by the Muslim business community for the centuries but the concept of “Riba” or interest has gained very little diligence in regular or day to day transaction.

    The first model of Islamic banking system came into picture in 1963 in Egypt, Ahmed Al Najjar was the chief founder of this bank and the key features profit sharing on the non interest based philosophy of the Islamic Shariah. This banks actually more than financial institution rather than commercial banks as they pay or change interest on transactions. In 1974, the organization of Islamic countries (O I C) had established the first Islamic bank called Islamic Development bank (IDB). The business model of this bank was to provide financial assistance and support on profit sharing.

    By the end of 1970, secular Islamic banking system have been have been Established throughout the Muslim world, Including the first private commercial bank in Dubai (1975), the Bahrain Islamic Bank(1979) and the faisal Islam Bank(1997)

    Objectives

    • To Known the basis of Islamic banking practice

    • To Study the recommendation of Raghuram Rajan committee for introduction of Islamic banking in India.

    • To provide a quick round up of the world Islamic banking scenario

    • To highlight the potential & need of Islamic banking in India with accompanying challenge

    Methodology

    The Study is mainly based upon the collection of Secondary data. The Secondary data has been collected from various sources of publications such as Research articles, Magazines, Journals, Internet, and unpublished thesis.


    Basic Principles of Islamic Banking

    • Payment and Receipt of Interest (Known as Riba) is strictly prohibited (Haram).

    • The business is based on profit and loss sharing.

    • Certain industries, such as Adult Entertainment, Alcohol and gambling are “haram” (disallowed by Shariah) and prohibited for Investment. This is why Islamic banking also referred to as ethical banking.

    • Banks may not lease or lend any product that they do not wholly own.

    • Trading in Debt is also not allowed, which is why banks do not deal in Traditional bonds, rather they have their own version of such instruments called Sukuk(Islamic Bond)

    • Interest free loans (Qard Hassan) are encouraged to spread financial inclusion.

    Presence of Islamic Banking in World Economy

    During the past decade, the assets of Islamic banks have grown at an average rate of 15% Many Development Countries of the World, such as Germany, Uk, USA, France and Singapore have embraced Islam Banking to take the tally of countries where this form of Banking is already operational as an alternative system. The robust performance of the Islamic banking and finance sector during

    The recent financial downturn has attracted the attention of swear other nations. Major multinational banks including HSBC Amanah, standard chartered Saadiq, Lloybs TSB bank and citigroup offer products in accordance with Islamic banking principles western nations like the UK are promoting Islamic finance following the principles of “ no favor , but no discrimination “ former prime minister Gordon brown, who was finance minister when Islamic banking was introduced. In the UK, was so confidence of the system that he predicate London would become its future gateway. The results today vindicate its predictions. This is why, at a time when other banks are facing closure, the Islamic bank of Britain is expanding its network in the UK and being asked to do the same in Europe.

    Islamic banking in India

    In India the scope of Islamic banking is very large because 140 million Muslims live in India which is around 15 percent of the Islamic population. According to standard & poor’s ratings services the potential market is $4 trillion worldwide , therefore this can be a tool for enhancing economic development in India. This will provide opportunities to the community. There are several foreign banks operating in India, like Citibank, standard chartered bank, HBSC are operating interest free windows in several west Asian countries, USA and Europe. The growing awareness about the concept among Indian banks have been generally felt that there is a huge potential market in India for Islamic banking.

    Islamic Banking has been approved by RBI in India. This welcome development was expected after Dr Raghuram Rajan took power as the governor of RBI replacing D.Subharao whose position on Islamic banking was not favorable. Dr Raghuram Rajan, a former chief economist IMF [International Monetary Fund] and the chief Economic Adviser to the Finance Ministry was head of the high level Committed of the Financial Sector Reforms(CFSR) of the Planning commission, which recommended Islamic Banking to be approved in India. So, when on Aug 6, 2013 Dr Manmohan Singh approved Dr. Raghuram appointment as a governor of RBI finally gave a “Go Ahead to it” Yet Indian banking laws have not allowed Islamic Banking to be practiced in the Country, but there was no Indian Law which prohibited teaching Islamic banking in its colleges & universities. The responsibility rests with Universities and educational centers. There have been skeletons of such courses in India like Aligarh Muslim University’s Department of Faculty of Management study and Research and its Department of commerce and Kalasalingam University, to name a few now after the RBI approval, The Sullamussalam Science College at Areekode affiliated to the Calicut University, has become the first college in Kerala to offer a 3 years degree course in BA Islamic Finance, Interestingly, the said course has been accepted for funding by the UGC under “Innovative Program for teaching and Research interdisciplinary and emerging areas” Instition like Al Jamia Al Islamia, a religious at Santhapuram have also been seeing growing interest for its postgraduate Diploma in Islamic Economics and finance[PGDIEF] course. It also offers IGNOU diploma courses in Islamic Banking, Islamic Banking has Islamic Finance and Islamic Insurance, Today Islamic booking has a presence in India in the form of NBFCs and Baitul Mal (Islamic Treasury) , but the business is small. These institutions mostly work at the regional levels, catering to a niche segment. Many Indian Institutions, Including some government-owned ones, have shown interest in this growing niche opportunity. For Example, Kerala Government Owned KSIDC has Al Barakah Financial Services Ltd, GIC of India runs an Islamic re assurance scheme; and several mutual fund schemes invest explicitly in compliance with Islamic rules TASIS, an Index on the Bombay Stock Exchange representing only Shariah – compliant stocks, is the first of its kind in India.

    Need of Islamic Banking in India

    An Islamic finance originates from religious principles, it is also a workable model of investment, based on risk sharing. The nations, which have adopted Islam Banking have done so because it make business sense. Islamic banking is about encouraging and facilitating investment in real economic activity and societal welfare, while prohibiting investment in reckless business such as gambling, alcohol and adult entertainment or risky financial products. Apart from being a viable alternative to extreme risks, the interest free solution of Islamic Banking could restore equilibrium in Indian society by providing succor to debt-ridden farmers, laborers and other marginalized groups. Hence, Islamic Banking has potential as a tool of financial inclusion. As per the Pew Research Center, India was home to nearly 177 million Muslims in 2010, making it the country with the third largest Muslim population in the world. A considerable number of Indian Muslims either invest in non-interest bearing accounts or donate the interest from the interest-bearing accounts to charity. There is an opportunity for Islamic banks to attract funds that interest paying convention banks cannot. Traditionally, Indians practiced participated by creating co-operative banks, non-banking financial institutions and micro credit programmes, the same platform can be used to introduce Islamic Banking.

    According to the planning commission, India is facing a gap of US$300 billion – or 30%- in meeting its infrastructure funding requirements until 2017. Following the examples of countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia, UK, France and Germany, India could use Islamic financial products such as sukuk [long term bond] to fund infrastructure and other sectors. Specifically, India could attract the Middle East’s high investible surplus through Islamic banking.

    Challenges for Islamic Banking in India

    Regulatory frame work:

    “Indian Banks are regulated by the Indian Banking Regulation Act (1949), The Reserve Bank of India Act (1935),The Negotiable Instruments Act and the Cooperative Societies Act (1986). Some of the obstacles of Islamic Banking regarding regulation are:

    1. Section21 of the Banking Regulation Act requires payment of interest which is against shariah.

    2. Section 5 & 6 of Banking Regulation Act disallows banks to enter into any profit sharing and partnership contract-the very basis of Islamic Banking

    3. Section 9 of the Banking Regulation Acts prohibits to own any sort of immovable property apart from private use- this is against Ijarah (for home finance. Thus to allow Islamic banking considerable amount of changes on law have to be made. One way is to keep the current legislation applicable for existing banks and amend specific legislations applicable for interest free banks. A new regulatory body will oversee them and help them make enforce accounting and auditing standards.

    Support Infrastructure

    Commercial banks borrow from other banks or the RBI to meet their short term funding requirements, but Islamic banks can’t do so because it involves interest. Islamic banks are required to closely monitor their investments in various businesses, as well as ensure that the investee firms are managed properly. This calls for expensive Supervisory infrastructure.

    Dearth of Islamic banking professionals:-

    There is a serious dearth of Islamic banking experts and trained personal in India. Although there are a few training institutes, they are unable to compensate for the shortage of experienced Islamic banking professionals.

    Lack of awareness:-

    There is a lack of awareness about Islamic Banking. Most People mistakenly believe that it is only meant for Muslims, whereas in Malaysia, UK and elsewhere, 40% of the customers of Islamic Banks are Non – Muslims. Banks should educate customers regarding the benefits of Islamic Banking.

    Suggestions

    • The latest RBI directive is clear that Islamic banking can’t be adopted in India under the current legal framework- India needs to follow the UK example and introduce new laws to govern the Islamic Banking Business.

    • More effort is required in the area of training and education; the state can play a pivotal role in promoting this subject by including in the curriculum of professional courses.

    • The myth that Islamic Banking is only for Muslims. Must be dispelled, and awareness of Islamic banking as alternative, ethical form of banking should be created. Public seminars and discussions are a good way to do this.

    Conclusion

    Growth of Islamic banking depends on two important factors: domestic demand and India’s role in the globalization of the financial sector. By not introducing Islamic banking, India is losing the opportunity of gathering Capital from a large section of the Muslim population as well as from Islamic nations in the Middle East and elsewhere. It shall be in the interest of India to allow Islamic banks to operate and expand their network in the country along with traditional banks as their main focus is on social well being and wealth generation activities in the society. It is hoped that the participation in Islamic banking will lead to further infrastructure development of India.

    References

    • Ahmad, Ausaf (1987), Development and problems of Islamic Banks, Islamic Research and Training Institute, Islamic Development Bank Jeddah.

    • Talha Sareshwala, “opportunity of Islamic Investment in India”.

    • www.infosys.com

    • www.islamicbanks.com

    • www.imf.org

    • www.abhinavjournal.com

    • www.indianresearchjournals.com

    • IMF working paper - Juan sole



     

    Empowering of Rural Women Community through Dairy Development in Karnataka


    Siddappaji.D* & Dr.M.G. BasavaRaja**

    Research Scholar, Department of Economics and Co- operation, University of Mysore, Manasagangothri, Mysore

    Professor of Economics, Sir. M. Visveswaraya PG Centre, Tubinakere, Mandya, University of Mysore


    Abstract

    This paper focuses on empowering of rural women community is pre-dominant role in India, particularly in dairy development. Dairy development helps to develop the rural women community people. Dairy development is one of the important potential agro- based rural women community industry in the world. This paper analyzed that empowering rural women community through dairy sector in the world and in India. Majority of the rural people are engaged in various dairy related activities in the country. These rural women, besides doing hard household source, also undertake the job of cattle rearing. This paper mainly focused on women empowerment, employment generation, and dairy sector activities in the state. There is a significant change in the socio- economic condition of the rural women community after taking up dairy development.

    Key Words: Milk Production, Women Empowerment, Dairy Development


    Introduction

    Dairy developments occupy an important place in the rural women community empowerment development, which supports the rural households by providing gainful employment and steady income of the country. The Dairy sector movement has not only improved the lives of rural people, but also empowerment of women’s, small milk producers, generate income for milk producers, reducing poverty, improving nutrition, education and rural women development, generate employment opportunities for around 13.9 million farm families and made significant contribution to the economy of the nation as well. Sixty percent of beneficiaries were small, marginal farmers, or landless producers. It strengthens the infrastructure for milk collection, transportation, processing, and packaging, pricing, and marketing of dairy products also help in reducing unwanted exploitation of milk producers. Dairy development has played major role in the upliftment of women milk producers leading to growth of dairy industry in India. In our country 1 lakh people are employed directly in dairy farms, 30,000 workers as manufactures and an estimated 70,000 workers as supporting agribusinesses and another 20,000 people are employed indirectly in dairy development. At present in our state there are around 70,000 village dairy co- operatives across have been functioning the country (www. dairy.org).

    Dairy sector is one of the main important occupations for rural women community in the country. Dairy sector has played a very significant role in the procurement, processing and marketing of milk and dairy products and in representing farmers politically at both the state and national level. India’s dairying programme is widely celebrated as an example of successful in rural women community development.

    Definitions of Women Empowerment

    According to Rowlands (1997) “Empowerment is thus more than participation in decision making; it must also include the processes that lead people to perceive themselves as able and entitled to make decisions.”

    According to Golla et al. (2011) empowerment refers to “A women is economically empowered when she has both the ability to succeed and advance economically and the power to make and act on economic decisions.”

    According to Alsop, Bertelsen and Holland (2006) empowerment refers to “Empowerment is defined as a groups or individuals capacity to make effective choices, that is, to make choices and then to transform those choices into desired actions and outcomes.”

    Objectives of the Study

    1. To study the Growth and Dairy Development in India

    2. To examine the rural women community empowerment on dairy development in Karnataka

    3. To study the socio- economic conditions of dairy development in Karnataka

    Methodology of the Study

    This study is mainly based on secondary sources of information. These secondary data are collected from various sources like- Published articles, journals, news papers, Karnataka economic survey, and the department of Dairying, Karnataka Milk Federation, and research articles.

    Review of Literature

    Rao.V.M (2003), in his study on identifies the impact of dairy co-operatives on women’s empowerment. The empowerment of women finds a boost in all 12parameters taken for the analysis; the women’s empowerment affects not only the individual life of women, but also the co-operatives to which they belong. Further, the women have been found to be more conscientious and better workers than their male counter parts. They are more responsible and are generally sensitive towards their civic duties.

    Halakatti,S.V., C. M. Sajjan et.al (2007), they studied that dairy husbandry is one of the important training programmes conducted by the KVK. A sample of 150 dairy farmwomen (DFWs) comprising of 75 trained and 75 untrained farm women was selected based on random sampling procedure. Highest percentage of both trained (80%) and untrained (63%) DFWs fell in medium knowledge level category. Out of the selected eleven important dairy production practices suitable for the area, trained DFWs had less knowledge in only one practice; whereas untrained DFWs knowledge was found to be meagre in at least seven practices. Highest percentage of both trained (87%) and untrained (60%) DFWs fell in medium adoption category. Majority of the trained DFWs has adopted all the eleven important practices selected for the study, whereas only two practices were adopted by the untrained DFWs. Hence many more training programmes have to be planned in dairy husbandry. The profile of socio- economic characters and constraints encountered by the DFWs was also studied.

    Ramananda (2012), in his study makes an attempt to understand the situations of women dairy co-operative societies’ membership, their economic upliftment and empowerment of Women as dairy entrepreneurs. The study mainly based on secondary as well as primary data. Women empowerment is an issue which has occupied ‘center stage’ in the developmental agenda of the nation.

    Sheela and Ramegowda (2013), in their study also established that there several benefits associated with being in the cooperatives. For example cooperatives help their members to access markets and agro vet services and offer members access to learning opportunities. Furthermore the study established that dairy cooperatives and their members face several challenges. Some of these challenges include; irregular/ unreliable market, low milk prices, diseases, water shortage, poor performance of the cooperatives, lack of access to input services and lack of qualified staff. From the researcher‘s point of view, cooperatives if well managed have the potential to support their members as indicated in the findings. Indeed if cooperatives are managed well they have the potential to uplift social economic conditions of their members, because they create opportunities and link them to markets and provide financial services.

    Meera nad krishnegowda(2013), in the concluded that empirical study involves 160 women from 16 women dairy cooperative societies of Karnataka Milk Federation (KMF) in H.D. Kote Taluk. Comprehensive pre-tested questionnaire was used for the purpose of primary data collection along with interview guide and field observations. The study examines the changes in income, access to cash and credit, confidence in financial transactions and their aspiration for economic autonomy towards drawing inferences and suggestions for engendering and strengthening endeavors for economic empowerment of women in dairy cooperatives.

    Progress of Dairy Development in India Scenario

    In India dairy development has been practiced as rural women community cottage industry over the employment opportunities. Its provide employs about 8.47 million people on yearly basis out of which 71 percent are women and about 22.5 percent of the income of rural households is contributed by dairy sector in the country. Dairy sector in India plays a crucial role in the rural women community and economy that has the highest potential of generating employment and income for millions of rural families, increasing livelihood security for rural milk producers, especially, and rural women community through augmenting productivity of milk animals. Planners and policy makers have decided it as an effective instrument of social and economic change in the country. The implementation of various dairy development programmes by government of India has changed dairy sector scenario tremendously and helped the women dairy to obtain higher profits. India has the largest cattle and buffalo population in the world.

    At present, India ranks first in milk production, accounting for 17 percent of world production. During 2012-13, milk production peaked at 132.43 mt, thus becoming an important secondary source of income for 70 million rural households engaged in dairying and for 70 per cent of the workforce that comprised rural women. The average year-by-year growth rate of milk about 4.04 per cent vis-à-vis the world average of 2.2 per cent shows sustained growth in availability of milk and milk products for the growing population.

    A number of milk unions are increasing and creating all- Women Dairy Co- operative Societies (WDCS). During 2012, unions across 20 dairying states have reported 18,954 WDCS with a total membership of 4.26 million across the country. The total women members in dairy cooperatives, 2, 35,000 have attained leadership roles on management committees of village dairy co- operative’s societies (DCS) and 265 of these have attained representation on the Boards of Directors of milk unions and federations.

    Structure of Women Dairy Co- operative Societies in India


    Table- 1 : Recent Trends in Milk Production and Per Capita Availability in India (Million Tonnes)

    Years

    Milk Production (Million Tonnes)

    Per capita Availability (gms/day)

    2000- 01

    80.6

    220

    2001-02

    84.4

    225

    2002-03

    86.2

    230

    2003-04

    88.1

    231

    2004-05

    92.5

    233

    2005-06

    97.1

    241

    2006-07

    102.6

    251

    2007-08

    107.9

    260

    2008-09

    112.2

    266

    2009-10

    116.4

    273

    2010-11

    121.8

    281

    2011-12

    127.9

    290

    2012-13

    132.4

    296.5

    Source: Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Ministry of Agriculture, GOI

    Above cited table 1 is givens information about recent trends in milk production and per capita availability in India from 2000- 01 to 2012- 13. In the overall period both are increasing in the milk production. During 2000-01 was milk production and per capita availability is about 80.6 million tones and 220 gms per day respectively. During 2010-11 was milk production is 121.8 million tonnes and per capita available about 281 gms per day. In this year both are rapidly grown period. In the recent year during 2012-13 milk production is about 132.4 million tonnes and per capita available about 296.5 gms per day. Totally this table explains the level of milk production in recent trends.

    Table- 2 : Growth of Involving Farmers and Village Level Co- Operative Societies in India (Million Tonnes)

    Years

    Involving farmers in Dairy Sector (Million Tonnes)

    Village level Co- operative Societies

    2006-07

    12

    1,15,635

    2007-08

    13

    1,28,800

    2008-09

    13.05

    1,31,534

    2009-10

    13.90

    1,33,349

    2010-11

    14.08

    1,35,439

    2011-12

    14.78

    1,48,965

    2012-13

    15.1

    1,55,634

    Source: Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Ministry of Agriculture, GOI

    In this table- 2 examine that growth of involving farmers and village level co-operative societies in India. In the overall table shows that between 2006-07 and 2012-13 growth rate. During 2006-07 about 12 million tonnes is involving farmers in dairy sector and 1, 15,635 is village level co-operative societies. After this year’s slowly growing in growth rate. In the recent years during 2012-13 is 15.1 million tonnes is involving farmers in dairy sector and 1, 55,634 is village level co-operative societies. These are all growing in dairy sector for Indian economic development.

    Empowerment of Rural Women Community in Dairy Development

    In India mainly milk cattle tended by rural women. Dairy co- operatives realized and build women employment activities as an important component of its dairy development programmes. The strategy was to train women in modern animal husbandry practices, and a large number of training programmes were specifically organized for women. Special incentives given to all women dairy co- operative societies in order to encourage participation of women in governance of the co- operatives.

    The dairy sector has been considered as a potential means of alleviating large scale unemployment, especially in women community rural areas. Dairy sector enterprise not only improves the socio-economic status of rural women community, but also assures a sustained and assured means of income to supplement their income from the main enterprise. The major activities involved in dairy sector include collection of cultivation of fodder, grazing the animals, feeding & watering, cleaning the animals and shed, milking and marketing of milk. The operations are flexible and staggered depending upon the convenience of the family members and need not necessarily be attended foregoing wage employment opportunities. 

    Present Situation Empowerment of Women Community in Karnataka Scenario

    In 1974 the first dairy development programme started in Karnataka with financial help of the World Bank and the central and state government. It was implemented in the framework of operation flood and under the guidance of the NDDB. The main goal of the project was to incorporate the existing dairy cooperatives and multi-purpose cooperatives at the village level into the three-tier Anand model, as well as to establish new DCS in villages without cooperatives. By the end of the project the targeted number of 1,800 DCS and four district unions were established.

    Karnataka milk federation is to empower women dairy farmers to improve quality and productivity of milk. Through education these aim to harness their potential by building an entrepreneurial spirit in rural women in the state. Dairy development as a subsidiary source of occupation and income realized to most of the farmers in the women community. Majority of two-thirds of the dairy activities are mostly in the hands of small and marginal farmers and landless labourers in Karnataka.

    The largest dairy development in Karnataka is the Karnataka Milk Federation (KMF) owned and managed by over 2.2 million milk producers and organized in over 12,000 DCS at village level and also 13 milk unions at district level in the three-tier Co- operative model. The federation’s responsibility is the coordination among the unions and the marketing of the produce within and outside the state under the common brand name NANDINI.

    Community Empowerment of Rural Women for Dairy Development Programmes in Karnataka

    In Karnatakastateregarding the promotion of women’s participation in DCS, KMF supports the Support to Training and Employment Programme (STEP) for women, which was initiated by the government of Karnataka in 1997. Since then about 1,200 women dairy cooperative societies (WDCS) have been established. The women receive benefits such as free loans because they are purchase milk animals and selling to customers. Therefore women also developing in the status and improving they are family. In Karnataka state weekly once organized training progammes, especially for women (KMF, 2014).

    Concept of Support to Training and Empowerment Programmes for Women

    The Programme of STEP aims to make a significant impact by upgrading skills and providing employment to women. Especially, focusing for this development programme women milk producers in rural areas of the state. on a project basis by mobilizing women in viable groups, improving skills, arranging for productive assets, creating backward and forward linkages, improving /arranging for support services, providing access to credit and awareness generation programmes in gender sensitization, nutrition education, legal literacy and sensitization of project functionaries.  Thus STEP advocates a package of inputs aiming at the integrated development of poor women in traditional sectors.  The ultimate Endeavour of the project is to develop the group to thrive on a self sustaining basis in the market place with the minimal Governmental support and intervention after the completion of project period.

    Socio- economic Conditions of Various Programmes Women Empowerment in Karnataka

    Karnataka milk federation provides to various women empowerment development programmes and improvement of women target groups in rural area. In this programmes helps to financial co- operation of especially rural women in Karnataka. In this following programmes necessary to all gender.

    • Health and Nutrition Programme

    This programme provide to intensive knowledge to all the women members of the society for welfare of their family members in terms of health and hygiene, balanced food, mother and child health care, safe drinking water, vaccination, preventive measures for diseases, usage of locally available vegetables, eradication of poverty alleviation, eradication of dogmatic social customs and rituals and prevention of malnutrition, demonstration of infant and young child nutritious food preparation from the locally available materials. In dairy development women programmes to provide organized 3 to 4 one day shibiras and financially help to every one WDCS Rs 6000 to 8000.

    • Legal Literacy Programme

    In this Legal Literacy Programme is conducted at village level with the assistance of eminent advocates particularly women advocates who are taken to the village to impart awareness on rights of women in property, prevention of dowry, authorities to approach in case of domestic violence, harassment etc. The visits are arranged to Courts, Police Stations, Tahsildar Offices and Banks to acquaint themselves regarding the working of these institutions. This programme conducted weekly twice in shibiras.

    • Gender Sensitization Programme

    This programme most important are conducted to sensitize women members in gender differences and to promote girl child education on par with male child and widow re-marriages. Know-how regarding agencies working for the welfare of women and the financial assistance available from Government agencies is provided to create self- sustaining ability in women folk. Shibira for male orientation for the husbands of the women members to sensitize those regarding multifarious problems faced by women and to enlist their co- operation in running institutions managed by women.


    • Self-Help Groups Programme

    Another important programmes of WDCS is promotion of Self- Help Groups (SHG) by its Target Group Members. STEP Programme implementation proposes formation of at least one Self- Help Group. In this way 1375 SHGs are formed with a savings of Rs.475.33 lakhs. The Nandini Self- Help Groups which are centers of empowerment are working for the socio-economic development of rural women.

    • Ksheera Sanjeevini Programme:

    Karnataka Milk Federation to provide most important programme ‘Ksheera Sanjeevini’ - Phase-I project with Sanjeevini- Karnataka State Rural Livelihood Promotion Society (KSRLPS) from April 2014. The proposed project brings 250 existing Women Dairy Co-operative Societies by the 13 District Milk Unions into the fold of Ksheera Sanjeevini. It is anticipated to enroll 10,000 women as Target Group Members (TGMs) with a procurement of 62,000 liters of milk per day. This project will provide direct employment to 750 rural women in 250 WDCS. The outlay of the project is Rs.17.10 Crores for three years. The project cost per beneficiary would be Rs.17,100/-, each WDCS gets a grant of approximately Rs.4.55 Lakhs for Management, Training, awareness Programmes and for granting interest free loan for purchasing milk animals, Insurance for the animals and transportation and cattle feed for one time. The share of Sanjeevini- KSRLPS is 86.85% and implementing agency i.e., KMF and its member Unions share is 13.15%. The Project envisages enhancing the net income of women by Rs.3000/- to Rs.3500/- per month by the end of the project. The project aims at socio economic development of women through dairy farming.

    Table- 3 :Milk Production in Karnataka

    Years

    Milk Production (Million Tonnes)

    2004-05

    3982

    2005- 06

    4024

    2006- 07

    4124

    2007- 08

    4244

    2008- 09

    4538

    2009-10

    4822

    2010- 11

    5114

    Source: Karnataka Milk Federation, 2014 GOK

    In this table 3 reveals that milk production in Karnataka. In the overall table shows that between 2004-05 and 2010-11 milk production in Karnataka. During 2004-05 was 3982 million tonnes and in the recent year 2010-11 is 5114 million tonnes. In this table on growing sector year to year milk production in Karnataka.

    Conclusion

    Dairy development programmes are positively growing in India and Karnataka level. Empowerment of women and dairy development are helped to specially for rural women in India. It helps not only to create self employment, but also create daily income also. So many rural people adopted only milk production it helped mainly to children health. Governments also encourage through subsidy for animals and animal foods. Totally who are rearing of cattle’s that helps to improve family living in happily and healthy.

    Reference

    • Rao, V.M., “Development of Women through Dairy Co-Operatives- A study in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka” Artha Vijnana, 2003, 45(1-2), PP 54-61

    • Halakatti,S.V., C. M. Sajjan, D. S. M. Gowda And Vijaylaxmi Kamaraddi, “Empowerment Of Women Through Dairy Training”, Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences : 20 (1), 2007

    • Dr. M.S. Ramananda (2012) “Dairy Co-Operative – Viable Tool for Rural Development” International Journal of Research in IT & Management, Volume 2, Issue 11 (November 2012)

    • Sheela K. S. and Dr. A Ramegowda (2013) Dairy Cooperatives and Empowerment of Women, International Journal of Advanced Social Science and Humanities Vol. 2, No. 9, pp. 034-042, September, 2013

     

    An overview of community empowerment with special reference to scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, backward classes in India


    Padmini.S.V.

    Assistant Professor, Department of Studies and Research in Economics, Tumkur University, Tumkur


    Abstract

    Community empowerment is nothing but a process of enabling communities to increase control over their lives. "Communities" are groups of people that may or may not be spatially connected, but who share common interests, concerns or identities. Empowerment of community means more than the involvement, participation or engagement of communities. It implies ownership of community and action that explicitly aims at social and political change. The Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs) are official designations given to various groups of historically disadvantaged people. The terms are recognised in the Constitution of India and the various groups are designated in one or other of the categories. During the period of British rule in the Indian subcontinent, they were known as the Depressed Classes. In modern literature, the Scheduled Castes are sometimes referred to as Dalits. The objectives of the study are to examinethe percentage of Scheduled Caste,ScheduledTribe,other backward classes and others in each religion, to examine the notable people among Scheduled castes ,Scheduled tribes and backward classes, to examine the percentage of reservation for scheduled .

    Keywords: Scheduled scheduledcaste, Scheduledtribe, backward class, depressed classes, reservation policy,


    Introduction:

    Community empowerment is nothing but a process of enabling communities to increase control over their lives. "Communities" are groups of people that may or may not be spatially connected, but who share common interests, concerns or identities. These communities may be local, national or international, with specific or broad interests. 'Empowerment' is the process by which people gain control over the factors and decisions that shape their lives. With the help of empowerment it is possible to increase their assets and attributes and build capacities to gain access, partners, networks and/or a voice, in order to gain control.

    Empowerment of community means more than the involvement, participation or engagement of communities. It implies ownership of community and action that explicitly aims at social and political change. Community empowerment is a process of re-negotiating power in order to gain more control. Power is a vital concept in community empowerment . Economic freedom is the fundamental right of every human to control his or her own labor and property. In an economically free society, individuals are free to work, produce, consume, and invest in any way they please. In economically free societies, governments allow labor, capital, and goods to move freely, and refrain from coercion or constraint of liberty beyond the extent necessary to protect and maintain liberty itself.

    The Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs) are official designations given to various groups of historically disadvantaged people. The terms are recognised in the Constitution of India and the various groups are designated in one or other of the categories. During the period of British rule in the Indian subcontinent, they were known as the Depressed Classes. In modern literature, the Scheduled Castes are sometimes referred to as Dalits. Since independence, the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes were given Reservation status, guaranteeing political representation.In addition to this, the Constitution lays down the general principles of affirmative action for SCs and STs. The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes comprise about 16.6 percent and 8.6 percent, respectively, of India '​s population (in accordance with the 2011 census). The Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950 lists 1,108 castes across 29 states in its First Schedule and the Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order, 1950 lists 744 tribes across 22 states in its First Schedule.

    It is clear from the secondary source information that since the 1850s these communities were loosely referred to as Depressed Classes, with the Scheduled Tribes also being known as Adivasis ("original inhabitants"). The early 20th century saw a flurry of activity in the Raj assessing the feasibility of responsible self-government for India. The Morley-Minto Reforms Report, Montagu–Chelmsford Reforms Report and the Simon Commission were several initiatives in this context. A highly contested issue in the proposed reforms was the reservation of seats for representation of the Depressed Classes in provincial and central legislatures. Moreover,in 1935 the British passed the Government of India Act 1935, designed to give Indian provinces greater self-rule and set up a national federal structure. The reservation of seats for the Depressed Classes was incorporated into the act, which came into force in 1937. The Act introduced the term "Scheduled Castes", defining the group as "such castes, races or tribes or parts of groups within castes, races or tribes, which appear to His Majesty in Council to correspond to the classes of persons formerly known as the 'Depressed Classes', as His Majesty in Council may prefer". This discretionary definition was clarified in The Government of India (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1936, which contained a list (or Schedule) of castes throughout the British-administered provinces.

    Further after independence the Constituent Assembly continued the prevailing definition of Scheduled Castes and Tribes, giving (via articles 341 and 342) the president of India and governors of the states a mandate to compile a full listing of castes and tribes (with the power to edit it later, as required). The complete list of castes and tribes was made via two orders: The Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950 and The Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order, 1950, respectively.

    Objectives of the Study:

    To examine the percentage of Scheduled Caste, ScheduledTribe, other backward classes and others in each religion, ta examine the notable people among Scheduled castes, Scheduled tribes and backward classes, to examine the percentage of reservation for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, and Other Backward Classes in Indian economy.

    Analysis:

    Table1: The percentage of Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe, Other backward classes and others in each religion:

    Distribution of each religion by caste category 2004/05

    Scheduled Caste

    Scheduled Tribe

    Other Backward Classes

    Others

    Total

    Hinduism

    22.2

    9.1

    42.8

    26

    100

    Muslim

    0.8

    0.5

    39.2

    59.5

    100

    Christians

    9.0

    32.8

    24.8

    33.3

    100

    Sikhs

    30.7

    0.9

    22.4

    46.1

    100

    Jains

    0.0

    2.6

    3.0

    94.3

    100

    Buddhists

    89.5

    7.4

    0.4

    2.7

    100

    Zoroastrians

    0.0

    15.9

    13.7

    70.4

    100

    Others

    2.6

    82.5

    6.2

    8.7

    100

    The above table provides information about the percentage of Scheduled castes, Scheduled tribes, other backward classes and others among various religious groups.

    Table 2: Notable people among Scheduled castes, Scheduled tribes and backward classes:

    B. R. Ambedkar

    economist, political leader, writer

    K. R. Narayanan

    Tenth President of India

    BabuJagjivan Ram

    Former Deputy Prime Minister of India

    G. VenkatSwamy

    Former Cabinet Minister, Textiles and Labour

    K. G. Balakrishnan

    Former Chief Justice of India, chairman of national human rights commission

    RamkrishnanSuryabhanGavai

    Former MP, Governor of Kerela and Bihar

    SushilkumarShinde

    Cabinet Minister for Home Affairs

    Mayawati

    Former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh

    BirsaMunda:

    Indian independence advocate and tribal leader

    J. ShivashanmugamPillai

    Indian National Congress politician. First Dalit mayor of Madras city (1935) and first Dalit speaker of the Madras Legislative Assembly

    DamodaramSanjivayya

    First dalit chief minister of a state and first dalit president of the Indian National Congress

    Kanshi Ram

    Founder of BahujanSamaj Party

    G. M. C. Balayogi

    Former Speaker of the LokSabha

    ShibuSoren:

    Former Chief Minister of Jharkhand state

    S. Ashok Kumar

    Judge, Madras High Court and High Court of Andhra Pradesh

    Ram Vilas Paswan:

    President of the LokJanshakti Party

    BangaruLaxman

    Former President of BharatiyaJanata Party (BJP)

    Lala Ram Ken

    Member of the seventh and eighth Parliaments

    VinooMankad

    Cricketer who played in 44 test matches for India

    Damodar Raja Narasimha

    Deputy Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh

    J. Geeta Reddy

    Leader of the Legislative Assembly, AP

    BethaSudhakar ("Pichhakottudusudhakar")

    Comedian, Tollywood character actor

    LankapalliBullayya (1918–1992)

    First dalit university vice-chancellor (Andhra University, 1968–74)

    Jwala Prasad Kureel

    MP of the sixth LokSabha; member of Janata Party serving Ghatampur (UP) LokSabha constituency

    PL Punia

    Chairman, National Commission for SC/ST

     

    Thol. Thirumavalavan

    President Viduthalaiciruthaikatchi and member of parliament from 2009 from Tamil Nadu.

    Meira Kumar

    Speaker of the 15th LokSabha formed in May 2009 (daughter of BabuJagjivan Ram: Former Deputy Prime Minister of India from Indian state of Bihar)

    A.P. Anil Kumar

    Minister for Tourism and Welfare of Scheduled Castes and Backward Castes in the Indian state of Kerala

    The above table provides information about notable people who have belonged to Scheduled caste, Scheduledtribes, backward classes and their contribution to the nation.

    Table 3: As per Government of India percentage of reservation for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes.

    Category as per Government of India

    Reservation Percentage as per Government of India

    Scheduled Castes (SC)

    15%

    Scheduled Tribes (ST)

    7.5%

    Other Backward Classes (OBC)

    27%

    Total constitutional reservation percentage

    49.5%

    General (Open to all including SC/ST and OBC)

    50.5%

    The above table provides information about the percentage of reservation for scheduled castes, scheduled tribes and other backward classes as per Government of India.

    Measures taken by the government to improve the conditions of SC and ST:

    The Constitution provides a three-pronged strategy to improve the situation of SCs and STs:

    Protective arrangements: Such measures as are required to enforce equality, to provide punitive measures for transgressions, to eliminate established practices that perpetuate inequities, etc. A number of laws were enacted to implement the provisions in the Constitution. Examples of such laws include The Untouchability Practices Act, 1955, Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989, The Employment of Manual Scavengers and Construction of Dry Latrines (Prohibition) Act, 1993, etc.

    Affirmative action: Provide positive (preferential) treatment in allotment of jobs and access to higher education as a means to accelerate the integration of the SCs and STs with mainstream society. Affirmative action is popularly known as reservation.

    Development: Provide resources and benefits to bridge the socioeconomic gap between the SCs and STs and other communities. Major part played by the Hidayatullah National Law University.


    National commissions

    To effectively implement the various safeguards built into the Constitution and other legislation, the Constitution under Articles 338 and 338A provides for two statutory commissions: the National Commission for Scheduled Castes,and the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes. The chairpersons of both commissions sit ex officio on the National Human Rights Commission.

    Constitutional History

    In the original Constitution, Article 338 provided for a special officer (the Commissioner for SCs and STs) responsible for monitoring the implementation of constitutional and legislative safeguards for SCs and STs and reporting to the president. Seventeen regional offices of the Commissioner were established throughout the country. There was an initiative to replace the Commissioner with a committee in the 48th Amendment to the Constitution, changing Article 338. While the amendment was being debated, the Ministry of Welfare established the first committee for SCs and STs (with the functions of the Commissioner) in August 1978. These functions were modified in September 1987 to include advising the government on broad policy issues and the development levels of SCs and STs. Now it is included in Article 342. During 1990, Article 338 was amended for the National Commission for SCs and STs with the Constitution (Sixty fifth Amendment) Bill, 1990.The first commission under the 65th Amendment was constituted in March 1992, replacing the Commissioner for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes and the commission established by the Ministry of Welfare's Resolution of 1989. During 2003, the Constitution was again amended to divide the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes into two commissions: the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes. Because of the spread of Christianity and Muslim among schedule caste/Tribe community converted are not protected as castes under Indian Reservation policy. Hence, these societies usually forge their community certificate as Hindus and practice Christianity or Islam afraid for their loss of reservation.

    Scheduled Castes Sub-Plan

    The Scheduled Castes Sub-Plan (SCSP) of 1979 mandated a planning process for the social, economic and educational development of Scheduled Castes and improvement in their working and living conditions. It was an umbrella strategy, ensuring the flow of targeted financial and physical benefits from the general sector of development to the Scheduled Castes. It entailed a targeted flow of funds and associated benefits from the annual plan of states and Union Territories (UTs) in at least a proportion to the national SC population. Twenty-seven states and UTs with sizable SC populations are implementing the plan. Although the Scheduled Castes population according to the 2001 Census was 16.66 crores (16.23 percent of the total population), the allocations made through SCSP have been lower than the proportional population.

    Conclusion:

    It is evident from the above data and information that the percentage of scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, other backward classes increasing and they have engaged in nation building activities. The Government of India took several measuresto safeguard the intersts of scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, backward classes.

    Suggestion:

    The people of scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, other backward classes should be aware about the specialized Government schemes to get the benefits and theycan enhance their standard of living and they can contribute more for the development of the Indian Economy.

    References:

    1. Census of India 2011, Primary Census Abstract,Scheduled castes and scheduled tribes, Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, Government of India (October 28 2013).

    2. "Scheduled Caste Welfare - List of Scheduled Castes". Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.Retrieved 16 August 2012.

    3. Text of the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950, as amended

    4. Sachar, Rajindar (2006). "Sachar Committee Report(2004-2005)" (PDF). Government of India.Retrieved 2008-09-27.

     

    Economic viability of alternative crops to tobacco – A study of karnataka state


    Srinivasa.C.V* & Dr.Shivanand Nari**

    *Research Scholar, Dos in Economics, MGM, Mysore

    **Associate Professor of Economics, Karnatak University, Dharwad


    Tobacco cultivation in India

    Tobacco is an important commercial non-food crop in India. It occupies a prime place in the Indian economy as it considerable, contributes to agriculture farm income, employment and industrial sector. Besides, it is an important source a revenue to the government through central excise and exports. In India, tobacco is produced and consumed both in the form of manufactured and unmanufactured products. Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh are the major tobacco cultivation states in the country accounting for over ninety percent of the area and output of tobacco in the country. The crop is cultivated practically in all parts of the county. The cultivation of tobacco has now extended to Bihar, Maharashtra, Orissa, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal respectively. The various types of tobacco grown in India are Flue cured Virginia, Bidi, Chewing, Natu, Hookah, Cigar, Cherrot and Snuff. Indian tobacco scenario is wholly characterized by fluctuations in the total area under tobacco cultivation and levels of production.

    The production of tobacco is more than requirement, why means the illegal producers are more in number when compared to the legal producers. This illegal producers are producing tobacco without having license and not taken any kind of permission from the respective authorities.

    Tobacco cultivation in Karnataka

    Bidi, FCV and Chewing are the important types of tobacco grown in Karnataka. The FCV tobacco grown in transitional zone has a great demand due to its superior quality and low nicotine content. The main area of producing FCV tobacco in Mysore district, which includes Hunsur, H.D. Kote, Periyapatna, Nanjangud and K.R. Nagar taluks respectively and also some parts of Hassan and Chamarajanagar districts. The bidi tobacco grown in light soil area of Nippani area in Belgaum district and to a small extent in Raichur and Bellary has got demand even outside the state due to its quality and aroma. The chewing tobacco is cultivated mainly in Tumkur, Dharwad and Chitradurga districts in small area.

    Alternative crops are economically viable with the tobacco

    Tobacco is a commercial crop, having very high financial returns with very less cost of cultivation compared to other crops. For example, the commercial crops such as ginger, turmeric, sugarcane, banana, potato and others in comparison of tobacco need more capital, labour, time and involvement of high rate of risk. This crop having low investment of capital, but its high yield in non irrigated and arid land and it is a better crop among the commercial crops. But the government policies have made the farmers to reduce the cultivation of tobacco and also health hazards, ban of tobacco selling and consumption in public places, deforestration, environmental destruction have made the cultivators to switch over to the alternative crops from tobacco.

    Comparison of profitability of tobacco and other crops

    CTRI at Rajamundry (Andhra Pradesh), A Government of India Institution, has conducted applied research on scientific cultivation of tobacco in India. CTRI has carried out studies using various combinations of monocropping and intercropping patterns on different soil types. The studies have been carried out at the four regional centers of CTRI (Rajamundry, Anand, Shimoga and Pusa) with support from seven subcentres (Berhampur, Gurusahayaganj, Guntur, Dinhata, Nipani, Nandyal and Hunsur). The sample studies indicate that there are alternative crops to tobacco and that they are economically viable. Farmers in black soils of Andhra Pradesh, traditional soils of Gujarat and bidi areas of Karnataka have successfully replaced tobacco with alternative crops. The economic feasibility of these crops is also revealed in some CTRI studies presented on the basis of cost-benefit ratios (net returns).


    Economics of production – tobacco and other alternate crops

    Zone and type of tobacco

    net income from tobacco (Rs./ha)

    Net income from alternative crops (Rs./ha)

    Northern light soils (NLS) (FCV)

    27 668

    Groundnut maize soybean

    4 260

    13 878

    2 600

    Northern black soils (NBS)

    18 732

    Rabi redgram

    Bengalgram

    9 850

    9 195

    Central black soils (CBS) (FCV)

    19 799

    Benglagram

    Rabi Redgram

    maize

    10 200

    10 010

    8 010

    Southern black soil (SBS) (FCV)

    20 010

    Blackgram

    Sunflower

    mustard

    bengalgram

    redgram

    7 520

    4 030

    5 100

    8 040

    7 570

    Southern light soils (SLS) (FCV)

    15 030

    Blackgram

    sunflower

    mustard

    bengalgram

    redgram

    6 990

    3 560

    7 350

    6 350

    6 800

    Karnataka light soils (KLS) (FCV)

    18 010

    Cotton

    maze

    9 100

    5 350

    Tamil Nadu (chewing)

    35 108

    Chilli

    29 714

    Bihar (chewing)

    52 000

    Potato

    Garlic

    35 200

    12 400

    West Bengal (chewing)

    19 000

    Amon paddy

    Aus paddy

    Mustard

    Wheat

    Jute

    Maize

    8 300

    4 400

    7 600

    6 700

    6 800

    4 900

    Gujarat (bidi)

    51 423

    Mustard

    Groundnut

    (summer) chillies

    17 980

    30 920

    38 311

    Uttar Pradesh (chewing and hookah)

    22 000

    Potato

    Wheat

    Bhendi

    Sunflower

    30 500

    70 400

    10 600

    9 800

    Source: Central Tobacco Research Institute (ICAR). Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India Rajahmundry (A.P.) – 533105

    Similar studies on bidi tobacco in Karnataka indicate that sugar cane, in irrigated areas, and soybean and jowar, in unirrigated areas, can be alternatives for tobacco. For farmers growing tobacco on a large scale, the net return per rupee of investment in the cultivation of jowar was in fact higher than the return from tobacco. This indicated that farmers, especially those cultivating non-flue-cured Virginia tobacco, need not depend only on tobacco for economic returns and that there were equally remunerative alternative crops.

    ICAR has suggested a judicious mix of alternative crops, as viable alternatives to tobacco crops, depending on variables that include the climatic conditions, soil type and availability of assured water supply. The broad suggestions are as follow:

    For irrigated areas: sugar-cane, groundnut, oil palm, cotton, chilli, maize, onion, cucumber, blackgram, greengram, mustard, ragi, caster-groundnut, cotton-groundnut, pigeon pea-groundnut, paddy-mustard, potato, ginger-wheat, tomato lady’s finger, cabbage, caulifilower, garlic, tomato, brinjal (aubergine), pulses and turmeric.

    For unirrigated areas: mustard, sorghum, greengram, coriander, Bengalgram, soybeat, redgram, safflower, groundnut, maize, bajra and caster.

    Another area of study explored was the possible alternate use of the tobacco crop itself. Studies carried out by CTRI indicate the potential use of tobacco plants as a source of, among other things, protein, edible oil, nicotine sulphate, low-calorie sweetener and solanesol. And tobacco derivatives are being used in the pharmaceutical, oil, paint, soap and chemical industries. There are a number of industrial units engaged in extracting nicotine derivatives and nicotine products such as nicotine sulphate (used as an insecticide), nicotine hydrogen tartarate, nicotine bi-tartarate, nicotine salicylate and nicotine hydrochloride (used in tobacco-cessation products). The issue requires consideration, as there would be regions/soils, which may not be able to take up alternate crops and in which farmers may continue to grow tobacco. Should the global demand for tobacco products for consumption, as, for example, cigarettes or chewing tobacco, be reduced substantially (most unlikely in the short to medium term), the alternate use of tobacco crops, be reduced substantially (most unlikely in the short to medium term), the alternate use of tobacco crops could be explored. There is therefore a need for further empirical study on the techno-commercial and health viability of alternate uses of tobacco crops.

    Tobacco farmers of AP and Karnataka say alternate cropping is not easy

    Tobacco farmers in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka, the tobacco producing states which account for about more than 80 per cent of the total tobacco production in india, say shifting to alternate cropping was not easy due to the soil conditions, which is more favorable to tobacco cultivation because it requires less water compared to other crops.

    Moreover, returns from tobacco farming were high compared to that of other crops. “there is demand and a market for tobacco. About 80 per cent of the production is exported. We are open to moving to other crops if they are on a par with tobacco in terms of returns,” said A Gopalakrishna, a tobacco farmer from West Godavari district in AP. India is one of the signatories of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), a global public health treaty which came into force in February 2005, which provides specific steps for governments – including tax and price measures – to reduce tobacco consumption, ban advertising, put prominent health warnings on tobacco packages and combating illicit trade in tobacco products.

    However, major tobacco growing countries like USA. Argentina and Switzerland have not ratified the FCTC. Others like Malawi, Indonesia and Zimbabwe have not signed the treaty. There is a view that countries like India which had ratified the FCTC would lose its market to non-signatories. “If we do not cater to the tobacco demand, other countries will take the opportunity. This would deal a blow to the large scale employment of labour even as there would be a loss of revenues to the government in the form of excise and duties,” said Shivanag, farmer from Karnataka.

    In India, which is the second largest producer and exporter of tobacco in the world, tobacco is grown on 0.45 H ha, accounting for only 0.31 per cent for the net cultivated area in India. India accounts for about six per cent by volume and 0.7 per cent by value of the global tobacco trade. There are around 90,000 registered tobacco growers in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. The total production is between 101 million kg to 105 million kg. Exports last year crossed $1 billion mark.

    A field experiment conducted for three years during kharif season at the Zonal Agricultural Research Station Karnataka concluded that none of the alternative sole crops were comparable to FCV tobacco in terms of net returns. However, the study was optimistic that the cropping systems – hybrid cotton + chilli + groundnut and hybrid cotton + chilli + frenchbean – can be economically viable alternatives to FCV tobacco for farmers in Karnataka. Another study in Karnataka analyzed the nature and extent of crop diversification in the state by collecting secondary data for a period of 26 years from 1982-83 to 2007-08 and suggested that the creation of basic infrastructural facilities like sustained supply of irrigation water, markets, fertilizer availability, proper roads and transportation is an essential pre-requisite for crating enabling conditions for fostering the process of agricultural development and crop diversification, as most of these parameters greatly influence the nature and extent of crop diversification.

     

    Combination of crops that have been found to be suitable in the different tobacco growing regions of the country and would be equally remunerative, viable alternatives to the tobacco crop

    Types of tobacco and Zone

    Alternative crops

    Alternative cropping systems

    Bidi/Chewing tobacco-Gujarat

    Mustard, Groundnut, Chilli, Maize, Cotton and Castor

    Cotton – Groundnut or Castor – Groundnut

    Chewing and Hookah tobacco – Uttar Pradesh

    Potato, Wheat, Okra, Sugarcane and Mustard

    Maize – Potato

    Chewing tobacco – Bihar

    Potato, Garlic, Mustard, Maize and Wheat

    Maize – Potato or Potato + Garlic

    Chewing tobacco – West Bengal

    Rice, Mustard, Potato, Wheat, Jute and Maize

    Jute – Rice – Potato or Jute – Rice – Mustard

    Chewing tobacco – Tamil Nadu

    Sugarcane, Sunflower, Maize, Chilli, Moringa and Sorghum

    Onion – Moringa or Chilli – Moringa

    Bidi tobacco – Karnataka

    Sugarcane, Chilli and Cotton

    Groundnut – Soybean - Sugarcane


    Conclusion

    This board would provide technical assistance to farmers who are willing to switch from tobacco cultivation, and also provide information and assistance regarding high-yield-variety of seeds and fertilizers, and other related inputs. The suggested board may also help the government and agriculture-pricing committees in working out minimum support prices for alternate crops, in facilitating soft loans for the concerned farmers, in setting-pu auction platforms for these crops, in marketing of these alternate crops, and in other supportive activities. Awareness programs should be routinely held for the tobacco farmers on impacts of tobacco cultivation and tobacco consumption on human health, and on the available alternate, equally remunerative, crop options. Meanwhile, the research on alternative crops to tobacco or on the economic viability of these alternative crops should continue not only in the agricultural fields of research institutes or universities on an experimental basis, but also in situ in close collaboration with tobacco farmers.

    This review attempts to raise awareness about the strategic significance of initiating programmes and projects on alternate cropping options to tobacco cultivation in order to facilitate the success of tobacco control in India. Development of new sustainable cropping alternatives to tobacco cultivation requires evidence-informed investment in specific supply chain processes beginning right at the farm level and extending through to the crop assembly, processing and distribution; and should be driven by close collaboration and optimal synergy among all the stakeholder government departments, with Ministry of Agriculture taking the lead.



     

    AN ECOLOGICAL ANALYSIS OF COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT: A STUDY OF WATER CRISES


    Mr. HarshaDhar .G* & Dr. R. Sambashivam**

    *Ph.D Research Scholar, P.G Studies and Research in Economics, Sahyadri Arts College, Kuvempu University, Shivamogga.

    **Associate Professor and Co-ordinator, P.G Studies and Research in Economics, Sahyadri Arts College, Kuvempu University, Shivamogga.


    ABSTRACT

    Water crisis has been argued to be one of the biggest increasing pandemics of the present world century. For the purpose of qualitative study our paper verifies the relationship between the consciousness of water scarcity and community empowerment. Here we have attempted to outcome of an ecological analysis of the role social communities in water management. It recognizes the fact and figures in the middle of increasing population and their connected behavior are placing a high demand on very scarce water resources. On the one side, the situation is caused so otherwise accelerated by poverty in the region. While on the other side; water when properly managed can constitute an instrument for socioeconomic recovery and poverty alleviation. Business as usual in water resource management has not the way to overcome these difficulties. As such community water resource requires a new management paradigm that considers water not only from a holistic, comprehensive and multi-disciplinary perspective, but that, which seeks to fully associate all the different stakeholders into every stages of the process. The study aimed at analyzing the significance and challenges of water scarcity related to community activities. Including the beyond possessions our study has framed the couple of objectives those are; analyze the significance causes for water crises in community empowerment and then evaluate the fundamental challenges of community empowerment in front of water crises. A few hypotheses are additionally set for this study; significantly water crisis avoids the hygienic, healthy activities of community empowerment and next water scarcity and difficulties is the biggest obstacle for the successful path of community empowerment. Finally our paper revises the various strategies, conditions and impacts related to an ecological position and several features of community empowerment associated with water crises as according find the vital solutions for that in the way of socioeconomic welfare.

    Keywords: crisis, comprehensive, multi-disciplinary, hygienic, obstacle, socioeconomic.


    INTRODUCTION:

    Analyzing the position of water crises associated with community empowerment is a needed obsession in the present sensorial. As we are facing water risks, pollutions and water related difficulties organized social communities have to respond gently with the help of government acts. In the Commonwealth’s (1998-5) view “empowerment takes place when young people are provided with choices in life are able to make knowledgeable decisions and take responsible action based on their decisions”. Following the ideology of youth / community empowerment offers youthful citizens, the maximum opportunity to contribute to the economic, social and cultural progression of their families and nations and to gain self fulfillment for the inclusive growth of community and water savings related aspects.

    Successful and significant participation in decision-making, dynamic and worth-full role in social communication networking, unity and diversity has the central main characteristics of community empowerment. Assisting youth empowerment means creating and supporting the enabling circumstances under which community can contribute on their own behalf and on their own terms rather than at the direction of others in a social water progression. Towards avoid water crises adequate resource allocation, a supportive, legal and administrative framework; access to knowledge, information and skills, sustaining will and a positive value system are highly needed with the help of community empowerment. The empowerment of generation in a water resource process might be the business of the communities as a whole and involves the concerted efforts of solution community stakeholders. Including government frame work of water systems support agencies, non-governmental organizations, social families, kinship and community water networks, youth groups and above all, youthful people themselves have to serve for the socioeconomic system by avoiding water related difficulties. This is one kind of social service also it improves an internal command over the community empowerment.

    FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPT:

    All over the natural resources, water is probably the most essential for whole life organism. “Water remains very vital for the survival of the human species and the entire living system” written by Krenkel and Novonty (1980:73). In an opening statement during the VII session of the World Congress on Water Resources in Morocco 1993, King Hassan II noted, “Water is an important factor for progress and development and represents the basis of the development of authentic civilizations through the ages”. As for water related community authorized service the above movements’ impacts a lot!

    The Notwithstanding UNDP (2001) reports that 20 percent of the world’s population still lack access to safe drinking water. As human populations and their associated activities increase, there is the driving demand for contemporary water for instance, for industrial uses, drinking purpose, household usage, irrigation and agriculture. Other landscape transformations such as clearing, tilling, draining and well drilling are placing freshwater ecosystems and their associated species under enormous strain. As such, water no longer represents a cheap resource, which can be profligately used, abused or squandered without noticeable consequences on human beings and for generations to come. More thus, water security was declared by the Second World Water Forum in The Hague, Netherlands, (2000) as the principal concern for sustainable development in the twenty-first century. Accordingly Biswas (1993) claim that new sources of water are becoming scarce, more expensive to develop, require more expertise and technological knowledge for planning, design, implementation and operation and are contributing to more social environmental disruption. The causes of water degradation and the resultant impacts are particular to each locality and region of the world.

    SIGNIFICANCE CAUSES FOR WATER CRISES IN THE MIDDLE OF COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT:

    The main significance causes for water crisis in front of community empowerment is as follows.

    • Irregular rainfall and dearths impacts.

    • Non–scientific water usage.

    • Too much of water pollution.

    • High density of population and advanced civilization.

    • Encroachment of lakes and ponds.

    • Disparities between lands and sea level.

    • Regional disparities.

    • Deforestation and soil erosion.

    • Socio–environmental imbalance.

    • Adaptation on too much of boor well digging.

    • Impact of Fluoride and Nitrate poisonous comical content mixed water.

    • Lack of rivers, dams and water resource availability.

    • Bad crash of urbanization and festival related chemical mixed solid wastages.

    • Industrial waste water flows to the rivers.

    • Offensive river sand thefts and transports.

    • Illiteracy and educational backwardness.

    • Worst patron / social evil of cast system.

    CHALLENGES OF COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT CORE OF WATER CRISES:

    The major challenge tasks of ecological community empowerment in front of water crises are as follows.

    Social Challenges: Generally social challenges are the foremost part of water crises. Especially, regional disparities occupy the first position in that. Hereby lack of social unity, teamwork and coordination of water management are also took place.

    Natural / Environmental Challenges: Because of mountain region, desert stationary are basically might not be positively reacts for water conservative community activities. Regarding that natural calamities are badly impacts for the chariness of ecological community empowerment.

    Technical Challenges: In the middle of communication gap, illiteracy and lack of knowledge are basically diverts the path of water supervision community movement. In addition to that, technically highly established civilized people are also because of their busy schedule they might not support these things.

    Economical Challenges: Inequality, economical differentiations, inferior and superior complexes of the society has mainly bifurcates the communities and water distributions. Regarding that socioeconomic empower activities are also badly become compress.

    External / additional Challenges: Lack of awareness about water resources and heavy risks of water pollutions communities are might not directly responding for water savings related organizations. However water related negligence’s have also play a dreadful role.

    OBJECTIVES:

    The main and specific objectives of the present study shall be:

    • To analyze the significance causes for water crises in community empowerment.

    • To evaluate the fundamental challenges of community empowerment in front of water crises.

    HYPOTHESES:

    The following tentative hypotheses will be framed to meet the objective of the study.

    • Significantly water crisis avoids the hygienic, healthy activities of community empowerment.

    • Water scarcity and difficulties is the biggest obstacle for the successful path of community empowerment.

    METHODOLOGY:

    The Methodology is very essential to construct any research work. Both qualitative and quantitative methods were used in the study.

    Sources of Data:

    The paper has required Secondary data. Secondary data has been gathered from published sources such as various journals, periodicals, articles, books, literatures and reports on the subject. For the purpose of gathering the latest information on the topic E-sources also consulted.

    WATER SHOULD BE TREATED AS AN ECOLOGICAL SOCIOECONOMIC GOOD:

    Freshwater is valuable and limited. Water supply services and infrastructure are economic activities, although at the similar instance; access to basic water supply is a primary human right. Water use for sanitation and domestic purposes, which tends to be the liability of women communities, should be included into the measurements of economic values of the use of water. Might some cases, women often have no rights to land and water, and development efforts may negatively affect their livelihoods. Especially for inclusive growth of community empowerment, as well better conduction of socioeconomic ecological system it should be modify in gentle manner.

    Although it is desirable for water supply to be paid for, it is also important to take into description people’s ability to pay. In the middle of community empowerment women’s interests and gender relations are often overlooked. If charges for domestic water supply have to be paid, both men and women should be involved in determining the rates. Even though women often do not have control over the transform, some restricted regions they are still expected to pay for water and sanitation, because they are the main users and it is considered their responsibility and social representation. A gender and social equity analysis of demands is required. Access to basic amounts of water supply as a social good and human right needs to be included in policies and planning. Increased charges for water should not apply to meeting basic human needs and should not reduce water minimum consumption for cooking and hygiene.

     

    FINDINGS:

    The optimal findings are as follows.

    • Frequently our neighboring states have been quarrelling for river water controversy / river water distribution.

    • Under the Sudha Kudiyuva Neru (pureed drinking water) Program our State Government has been distributing hygienic / quality water in the rural areas under this fresh drinking water has available at Rs.1 is equal to 10 liters.

    • Towards avoid water scarcity in irrigation and agriculture sector Center Government has been made a project of Watershed (Sujala Jalanayana Yojane).

    • Our Governments are strictly apposing / prohibiting sand theft transport to avoid river erosion as well to save quantity and quality of river water.

    • In the period of Third Kirshna Raja Wodeyar., Sir. M. Vishvesvariah has constructed K.R.S Dam to avoid water scarcity as well to make sufficient water availability for agriculture.

    SUGGESTIONS:

    On the scrutiny of our above study, the following suggestions are as follows.

    • Avoid regional favoritism in river water distribution / river water controversies.

    • Evade water pollution during cleaning and washing the belongings.

    • Implement / adopt the rain water harvesting system in household, agricultural and industrial sectors.

    • Support water resource savings related awareness plans and projects.

    • Make the surrounding clean and green as free of pollution.

    • Organize the workshops, seminars and conference programs by empowering the communities to save the water energy.

    CONCLUSION:

    Water crises and community empowerment is a warm aspect in the global phase. Establish a relationship between the awareness of water scarcity to the willingness in the direction of contribute to water scarcity relief efforts with the assist of community empowerment is essential as what we have discussed. Based on the findings and sighted observation of the participants, water scarcity has a high sense of awareness in the social communities, but it is not of high priority for altruistic efforts among them. A relationship was therefore established and the purpose of the study is considerably content. It is clear from the findings that there are several factors that need to be addressed in order for progress to be made to alleviate water scarcity in ecological society. Finally there is a required to some extent for further revise to overcome the water scarcity with the precious contributions of social community empowerment.

    REFERENCES:

    • Barbara A. Israel, Barry Checkoway and Amy Schulz., “Health Education and Community Empowerment: Conceptualizing and Measuring Perceptions of Individual, Organizational, and Community Control”, John wiley and sons, Inc.

    • Rappaport .J., “Terms of empowerment/exemplars of prevention: Toward a theory for community psychology”, American Journal of Community Psychology, 15(2), (1987), PP: 121-148.

    • Speer .P., and Hughey .J., “Community organizing: An ecological route to empowerment and power. American Journal of Community Psychology, 23(5), (1995), PP: 729-748.

    • Ransom Nambuanyi., “Assessing stakeholder participation in Integrated Water Resource Management. The role of Youth in Community Water Management Projects in Cameroon”, LUMES, Lund University Master’s Programme in Environmental Sciences, (2001), PP: 15-27.

    • Anne Cooper., “Contending Environmental Discourses: Multilateral Agencies, Social Movements and Water”, Occasional Paper No 58, SOAS Water Issues Study Group, School of Oriental and African Studies/King’s College London, University of London, (2002), PP: 06-11.

     

    Role of Sri KrishnarajaWadiyar IV in Community Development


    Dr.Shobha H.L

    Assistant Professor, Dept. of History, Govt. First Grade College, K.R. Nagara, Mysore Dist


    Abstract

    Colonel Maharaja Sri NalwadiKrishnarajaWadiyar IV was the ruling Maharaja of the princely state of Mysor for 1884 to 1940. The Maharaja paid immediate attention to development. He launched a series of reforms and improvement in several sectored to develop the community. This paper an attempt is made to put forth the program made by Sri. Nalwadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV during his reign for community development. And it is also try to explained the contribution of Sri Nalwadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV to economic development.


    Introduction

    Colonel Maharaja Sri NalwadiKrishnarajaWadiyar IV (NalwadiKrishnarajaWadiyar) was the ruling Maharaja of the Princely state of Mysore from 1884 AD until his dath in 1940 AD. Krishna IV was the 24th ruler of the Wodeyar dynasty of Mysore that ruled over Mysore State from 1399 to 1590.

    He was a philosopher-king, who was seen by Paul Brunton as living the ideal expressed in Plato’s Republic. He has been compared to the Emperor Ashoka by the English Statesman Lord Samuel. Mahatma Gandhi called him Rajarshi, or “saintly king”, and his kingdom was described by his followers as Rama Rajya, an ideal kingdom asin to the rule of Lord Rama.

    Krishna was born on 4 June 1884 AD at the Royal Palace, Mysore. He was the eldest son of Maharaja ChamarajaWadiyar X and Maharani Vani Vilas Sannidhana. Shortly after the 1876-77 AD.famine and the death of Maharaja ChamarajaChamarajendraWadiyar X, KrishnarajaWodeyar IV, Still a boy of eleven, ascended the throne in 1895. His mother Maharani Kemparajammanniyavaru ruled as regent until KrishnarajaWodeyar took over on 8 February 1902 AD. Krishna IV was invested as the Maharaja of Mysore, with full ruling powers, by the Viceroy, Lord Curzon, on 8 August 1902 at a ceremony at Jagan Mohan Palace (now the jayachamarajendra Arts Gallery). AD

    The king was an accomplished musician, and like his predecessors, patronised the fine arts. For these reasons, his reign is often described as the ‘Golden age of Mysore’. Krishna Raja Wadiyar was the first chancellor of Banaras Hindu University and University of Mysore. The latter was the first university chartered by an Indian State. The India Institute of Science at Bangalore which was initiated during His mother’s tenure as regent was started during his reign, with the gift, in 1911, of 371 acres (1.5 km) of land and a donation of funds. He was a parton of Indian (both Carnatic and Hindustani) and Western Classical Music.

    Concept of Community Development

    The United Nations defines Community development as "a process where community members come together to take collective action and generate solutions to common problems." It is a broad term given to the practices of civic leaders, activists, involved citizens and professionals to improve various aspects of communities, typically aiming to build stronger and more resilient local communities.

    Role of Sri.NalwadiKrishnarajaWadiyar in Community Development

    The Maharaja paid immediate attention to development programmes. Regency had become in a way become in a way make-do effort. Now that the ruler had assumed full powers, and was in a vibrant mood to do something good, he launched a series of reforms and improvements in several sectors, such as finance, irrigation, education, electrification, local self-government, city improvement board and cooperative societies. The new Dewan, P.N. Krishna Murthy, the first Mysore an to hold that office since Rendition was also enthusiastic to show his mettle that he was on par with the Madrasis and British civilians. Fortunately, a few other factors too helped the progress.

    The total revenue of the State in 1902 was Rs.80 lakhs. A good part of it was spent on such useful departments as Medical, Education, Public Works, Police, Law and Justice. Every effort was made to enhance the revenue. On the suggestion of the Resident, Robertson, audit office was created with Comptroller of the State Finances as its head. This was a very important step which would audit all accounts, find fault with any wrong expenditure, and act as the custodian of the finances. An experienced officer from the Government of India was invited. With this step, accountability in the system was introduced.

    More important, in the view of Maharaja, than finance was education which held the key for social change and welfare of man. He believed it should be of right type; it should help build bridges of understanding between man and man; it must make people live harmoniously and graciously with fellow beings; it should help solve basic demands of man like food, shelter and clothing; and it must provide creative vision, finer taste and nobler aims. He was aware also of the face that any knowledge that was not applied knowledge was no knowledge at all. That was why early in his reign he jumped at the idea of Tata to establish Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore which was the first of its kind in India, and which has gained world renown to-day.

    • Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore established in 1909

    • Mysore Agricultural Residential School, Bangalore, established in 1913.

    • University Agricultural Sciences, Banaglore was initially established in 1899 by Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV’s mother maharani Vani Vilas Sannidhana, the Regent of Mysore, with an initial grant of 30 acres as an experimental agricultural station.

    • University of Mysore established in 1916:

    • Yuvaraja College, Mysore established in 1916

    • School of Engineering, Bangalore later UVCE., established in 1917.

    • Maharani’s Science College for women, Mysore established in 1917.

    • Mysore Medical College, established in 1924.

    • Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, First Chancellor and co-founder

    • In 1934, the Government of Mysore gifted 10 acre land in Bangalore to Noble laureate Sir C.V. Raman for the creation of research institute Raman Research Institute (RRI)

    In order to promote both education and industry a novel experiment was undertaken on the pattern of Japan. A few selected schoolmasters were sent to Tata Silk Farm in Bangalore to get training in improved methods of growing mulberry trees, rearing silk worms and learning reeling methods. This was just for a short period of three months, but just enough to give a new orientation.

    An interesting experiment was made in Local Self-Government. About 3000 people constituted a Union, which had a Chairman appointed on the recommendation of the Deputy Commissioner. Each Taluk Board was to have 12 members, four ex-officio, the Assistant Commissioner, the Amildar, the Medial officer, and the Senior Officer of the Public Works Department.

    A more significant development in civic consciousness was the establishment of Mysore City Improvement Trust Board. It came into existence as early as 1903. Its aim was to provide the city with world class amenities. For this a statutory competent body was created to take care of planning. It was first to carry out an exhaustive survey of the whole city and prepare a master-plan. It was to provide all such facilities as good roads, water-supply, drainage, lighting and well-leid out quarters. Congested areas had to be removed.

    After education and local self-government, attention was paid to land development. Indian economy is primarily agrarian economy. Nearly eighty per cent of the people depended on agriculture and agriculture itself depended on the vagaries of monsoons. Hence, from a long, long time, rulers of the day never ignored their responsibility to help the peasants through irrigation facilities, which were lilnked to the construction of either tanks or anicuts. Mysore State inherited from the past large number of tanks. These tanks needed repair and maintenance. Before 1904 the practice was to involve the ryots to do the earth work and the Government to do the stone work. A decision was taken in 1904 to end this practice, and make the Government do both stone-work and earth-work. The peasants were relieved of a great burden. The Government was moving in the direction of welfare State. Hardly a few years later it was to undertake the massive work of the construction of KrishnarajaSagar Dam over the river Cauvery.

    Credit should go to Mysore among the Princely States for initiating Cooperative societies movement. The Maharaja took personal interest in it supporting the start of a series of societies in difference places to solve the problem of rural and urban indebtedness. He was so supportive that he placed a large sum of money from his own purse at the disposal of the Registrar of the Societies to popularize this movement.

    Agriculture attracted great attention. A chemist was appointed to do a systematic study of soil in all parts of the State, to ascertain the proper manures required for difference types of soil, to suggest the removal of insects and other pests that damaged the crop, and to devise improved methods of cultivation.

    In 1905 AD.the establishment of an experimental farm at Hebbal was a land mark development to promote agriculture. The seeds for green revolution of later days after independence were sown by Mysore State in starting this farm. It realized the fact that the greatest good of the largest number could be achieved only through improved technology in agriculture. To promote both agriculture and industry a novel method of holding annual Jatras or fairs was undertaken in different places of the State.

    Contribution of Sri NalwadiKrishnarajaWadiyar IV to Agriculture Development

    irrigation

    • The Hydro Electric Project at Shivanasamudra Falls in 1902. This Station was commissioned by the Diwan of Mysore, K. SeshadriIyer.

    • VaniVilasaSagaraChitradurga, Completed in 1907, the first dam in Karnataka state.

    • Krishna Raja Sagar (KRS) dam, established in 1924.

    • Irwin Canal: Later named as Visveshwaraiaha Canal.

    • Marakonahalli dam in Tumkur district Completed in 1930. The dam has an automatic siphon system, first of its kind in Asia.

    electrification

    • Bangalore was the first city in India to get electric street lights in 1905

    • Mysore lamps, Bangalore, established in 1936.

    • Hirebhaskara dam started in 1939 across river Sharavathi to ensure steady water supply for the 120 MW Krishnarajendra Hydroelectric power station. The power station was renamed as Mahatma Gandhi Hydroelectric Project in 1949.

    Factory

    • Mysore State Railway (MSR) between 1916 and 1918, opened 232 miles of railway to traffic. By 1938 MSR and 740 miles of railway track.

    • Government Sandalwood oil factory, Bangalore, established in 1917.

    • Wood Distillation Factor, Bhadravathi in 1918.

    • Mysore Chrome and Tanning Factory established in 1918.

    • Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant (VISL, Bhadravathi was started as Mysore Iron Works in 1923.

    • Mysore Sugar Mills, Mandya, established in 1933.

    • K.R. Mils, Mysore, established in 1933

    • Mysore Paper Mils, Bhadravati, established in 1936

    • Mysore Chemical and Fertilizers Factory, Belagola established in 1937.

    • The Government Dichromate Factory, Belagola.

    • Glass and Porcelain Factories, Bangalore established in 1939.

    • Mysore Paints and Varnish Limited, established in 1937. It become part of the public sector in 1947.

    • Mysore Implements Factory, Hassan, established in 1939 to produce agricultural and garden implements.

    • Hindusthan Aircraft, Bangalore, established in 1940, later renamed as Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.

    Contribution to other sectors

    • Minto Eye Hospital Bangalore, established in 1903. Is among the world’s oldest specialised ophthalmology hospital.

    • Mysore Legislative Council was established in 1907 with a view to associate certain number of non-official persons having practical experience and knowledge to assist the Government in Making laws and regulation.

    • Mysore Boy Scouts, established in 1909. First of its kind in India.

    • State Bank of Mysore established in 1913.

    • Kannada SahityaParishat, Bangalore, established in 1915.

    • The Mysore Chamber of Commerce established in 1916.

    • Krishna RajendraHostpital, Mysore, established in 1927, is attached to Mysore Medical College.

    • K.R. Market, Bangalore. The main wholesale market dealing with commodities in Bangalore. established in 1928.

    • St. Philomena’s Church, Mysore in 1933.

    • Vanivilas Women and Children Hospital, Bangalore, established in 1934. Named after Maharani Vani Vilas Sannidhana.

    Conclusion

    Thus a hectic programme was launched in sector of social life to improve the conditions of the people. Education, finance, agriculture, industry, local self-government, cooperative movement, electrification, irrigation and quite a few other areas received particular attention. In education rural and primary literacy programme and the training of the youth in arts and crafts were the main objectives. A very significant step was taken in the area of self-government when District Boards, Taluk Boards and Village Unions were set up. It was a taining at the grass root level for the people to know their own local problems and solve them. It was a kind of nursery in the art of governance. Land-survey, settlement of revenue, census, cooperative society, auditing of public income and expenditure, Mysore City Improvement Trust, promotion of agriculture and industry were all essential measures that were taken up between 1902 and 1905 AD.

    References:

    1. NalvadiKrishnarajaWadiyar Retrieved from http//kn.wikpedia-org/wiki/ KrishnarajaWodeyar IV- Retrieved from http//www.mysorelive.com/ krishnaraja-wodeyar-IV

    2. KrishnarajaWadiyar IV. Retrived from http//en.wiki.quote.org/wiki/Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV.

    3. Rama Jois, M. 1984. Legal and constitutional history of India ancient legal, judicial and constitutional system. Delhi: Universal Law Pub. Co. p597.

     

    PRIORITY SECTOR LENDING OF BANKS AND FINANCIAL INCLUSION IN INDIA: AN ANALYSIS


    Dr. R. Sambashivam* & Mr. Adarsha .H.R**

    *Associate Professor and Co-ordinator, P.G Studies and Research in Economics, Sahyadri Arts College, Kuvempu University, Shivamogga – 577 203

    **Ph.D Research Scholar, Dept. of Studies in Economics, Sahyadri Arts College, Kuvempu University, Shivamogga – 577 203


    ABSTRACT

    Priority sector lending and financial inclusion are positive relationship in the banking sector and always concentrating about the socioeconomic welfare of the weaker section. In this paper we are discussing the role of priority sector lending on financial inclusion. Because financial inclusion is necessary to enable the weaker section of the society to participate in the formal financial system as they are otherwise disadvantaged section and low-income groups. Priority sector lending of banks are creates more financial inclusion. This paper focusing two objectives they are. Role of priority sector lending of banks on financial inclusion in India. And impact of priority sector lending of banks on financial inclusion in India. In our study frame two hypotheses to meet the objectives they are priority sector lending of banks on financial inclusion are not significant in India, priority sector lending of banks increases more non performing assets. Finally this paper gives the major findings, suggestion and conclusion. An attempt is made in this paper to study the priority sector lending of banks and financial inclusion in India an analysis

    Key word: Priority Sector, Weaker Section, Financial Inclusion, Nonperforming Assets.


    INTRODUCTION:

    The term ‘priority sector’ indicates those activities which have national importance and have been assigned priority for development. Hence, the adoption of priority sector concept for the purpose of bank lending reflects the effort to synchronize the lending activities of each bank with the national priorities. These sectors, in particular agriculture, small industries and other small business were the neglected sectors and for the purpose of bank credit, they have been categorized as priority sector.

    Financial inclusion is the delivery of banking services to all the sections of the society at an affordable cost. Easy access to public goods and services is the sine qua non of an open and efficient society. As banking services are in the nature of public good, it is essential that availability of banking and payment services to the entire population without discrimination is the prime objective of the public policy

    BASIC CONCEPT OF FINANCIAL INCLUSION IN INDIA:

    Accordingly Asian Development Bank (2000): inclusion as the provision of a broad range of financial services such as deposits, loans, payment services, money transfers and insurance to the poor and low income households and their micro–enterprises. The World Bank (2008) states: Financial inclusion as the broad access to financial services implying an absence of price and non-price barriers in the use of financial services; it is difficult to define and measure access because access has many dimensions.

    The United Nations (2006) notes: Financial sector that provides access to credit for all bankable people and firms, to insurance for all insurable people and firms and to savings and payments services for everyone. Inclusive finance does not require that everyone who is eligible to use each of the services, but they should be able to choose to use them if desired. The Committee on Financial Inclusion in India (2008) indicates: Financial inclusion implies the process of ensuring access to financial services and timely and adequate credit. Where needed by vulnerable groups such as weaker sections and low income groups at an affordable cost

     

    POLICY MEASURES OF RBI

    The description of the priority sector was formalized in 1972 on the basis of the report submitted by the informal study group on statistics relating to advances to the priority sector, constituted by the Reserve Bank. Although, initially, there were no specific targets fixed in respect of priority sector lending in November, 1974. Public sector banks were advised that their priority sector lending should reach a level of not less than one-third of the outstanding credit by March 1979. In November 1978 the private sector banks were also advised to send a minimum of thirty three Percent of their total advances to the priority sector by the end of March 1980. Subsequently, the target was enhanced to forty Percent of aggregate advances. In achieving this overall target, sub-target for lending to agriculture sector and weaker section were also stipulated for the banks.

    Foreign banks operating in India were also advised to progressively increase their advances to the priority sector to reach a level of fifteen percent of their NBC by end-March 1992. In April 1993, this ratio was further raise to thirty two percent of NBC to be achieved by March 1994. Within the enhanced target of thirty two percent, two sub-targets of ten percent in respect of small scale industries and twelve percent for export were fixed. On the basis of revised guidelines on lending to the priority sector, the priority sector lending sub-target have been linked to Adjusted Net Bank Credit Priority sectors and financial inclusions of off-balance sheet exposures, whichever is higher, with effect from 30 April 2007.

    OBJECTIVES:

    The major objectives of the study

    • To study the role of priority sector lending of banks on financial inclusion in India.

    • To analysis the impact of priority sector lending of banks on financial inclusion in India

    HYPOTHESES:

    The following hypotheses will be framed to meet the objective of the study.

    • Priority sector lending of banks on financial inclusion are not significant in India.

    • Priority sector lending of banks increases more Non Performing Assets.

    METHODOLOGY:

    In this paper we are used in the Secondary data. Secondary data has been collected from the published sources such as various periodicals, articles, journals, reports, literatures and books on the issue. For the point of gathering the newest up–dated information on the topic E–sources also consulted.

    THE SCOPE OF FINANCIAL INCLUSION:

    In India the focus of the financial inclusion at present is confined to ensuring a bare minimum access to a savings bank account without frills, to all. Internationally, the financial exclusion has been viewed in a much wider perspective. Having a current account / savings account on its own, is not regarded as an accurate indicator of financial inclusion. There could be multiple levels of financial inclusion and exclusion. At one extreme, it is possible to identify the ‘super-included’, i.e., those customers who are actively and persistently courted by the financial services industry, and who have at their disposal a wide range of financial services and products. At the other extreme, we may have the financially excluded, who are denied access to even the most basic of financial products. In between are those who use the banking services only for deposits and withdrawals of money. But these persons may have only restricted access to the financial system, and may not enjoy the flexibility of access offered to more affluent customers.

    INDIAN SCENARIO:

    Bank nationalization in India marked a paradigm shift in the focus of banking as it was intended to shift the focus from class banking to mass banking. The rationale for creating Regional Rural Banks was also to take the banking services to poor people. The branches of commercial banks and the RRBs have increased from 8321 in the year 1969 to 68,282 branches as at the end of March 2005. The average population per branch office has decreased from 64,000 to 16,000 during the same period. However, there are certain under-banked states such as Bihar, Orissa, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, West Bengal and a large number of North-Eastern states, where the average population per branch office continues to be quite high compared to the national average. As you would be aware, the new branch authorization policy of Reserve Bank encourages banks to open branches in these under banked states and the under banked areas in other states. The new policy also places a lot of emphasis on the efforts made by the Bank to achieve, inter alia, financial inclusion and other policy objectives.

    Priority Sector Lending Of Banks in India-Pre and Post-Liberalization

    Source: Bank and Bank systems volume 5

    Trend’s of Inclusive Growth in India

    Source: Bank and Bank systems volume 5

    CATEGORIES OF PRIORITY SECTOR ADVANCES:

    • Agricultural Finance

    • Small scale industries Finance

    • Finance of Small business and service enterprises

    • Micro credit

    • Education loans

    • Housing loans

    ROLE PRIORITY SECTOR LENDING ON FINANCIAL INCLUSION

    • It helps to small and marginal farmers through agriculture finance including subsidies, insurance, green card, kissan card and other financial services

    • It promotes small and cottage industries to the SMEs finance through bank accounts, cheque, subsidies and other financial services

    • It encourages to SHGs through micro finance like group loans, individual loans etc…

    • It provides home loans through cheques, debit cards

    • It gives education loan through bank accounts

    • It helps small businesses through bank account including subsidies

    FINDINGS:

    • Priority sector lending are increases transaction cost of the banks.

    • Priority sector lending and financial inclusion are low profitability in banking sector.

    • Priority sectors lending of banks are facing some quantitative targets.

    • Another one of the major problem of bank is that government interferes in the public sector banks.

    • Sanctioning and monitoring of large number of small advances is time consuming.

    SUGGESTIONS

    • Debit recovery tribunal should implement of banks.

    • Bank should is very careful in considering settlement compromise proposal.

    • Bank should try to introduce a system of internal audit section.

    • Bank should follow the guidelines of RBI for the rate of interest.

    • Bank should in the respect of direct agricultural advances.

    • Bank should be not compound the interest in the case of current dues.

    • A hugely expanded bank branch and cooperative network like RRBs;

    • A grater focuses on credit rather then other financial services like savings and insurance, deposit facilities.

    • Lending targets directed at a range of priority sector such as agriculture, weaker section of the population.

    • Significant government subsidies channeled through the banks and government programmers.

    CONCLUSION

    Financial inclusion has far reaching consequences, which can help many people come out of abject poverty conditions. Financial inclusion provides formal identity, access to payments system and deposit insurance. There is a need for coordinated action between the banks, the government and others to facilitate access to bank accounts amongst the financially excluded.

    To sum up, banks need to redesign their business strategies to incorporate specific plans to promote financial inclusion of low income group treating it both a business opportunity as well as a corporate social responsibility. They have to make use of all available resources including technology and expertise available with them as well as the MFIs and NGOs. It may appear in the first instance that taking banking to the sections constituting “the bottom of the pyramid”, may not be profitable but it should always be remembered that even the relatively low margins on high volumes can be a very profitable proposition. Financial inclusion can emerge as commercial profitable business. Only the banks should be prepared to think outside the box!

    REFERENCE:

    1. Banks and Bank Systems Volume 5, issue 4.2010

    2. World Bank indicators of Financial Access household. Level Surveys. (2005)

    3. Gupta .S and Kumar .S., “Dimensions and Prospects of Nonperforming Assets Challenges Before the Banking Sector Reform in the New Millennium”, Edited Book Banking in the New Millennium, (2004); PP: 279–291.

    4. Ahmed J. U., “Bank Financing of Small Scale Industries”, – A Diagnostic Evolution, Mittal Publication, New Delhi, (2005).

    5. Bhati .S. “Trust between Branch Managers and Loan Officers of Indian Banks”, Research Papers, (December 2006); PP: 51–58.

    6. Muhammad Yunus., “The poor as the Engine of development Economic impact”, – Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting Vol. 2, (2010); PP: 27–31.

    7. Joshi P. N., “Financing of Priority Sectors by Commercial Banks”, The journal of Indian institute of Bankers, (1972); PP: 27–34.

    8. Angadi V. B., “Bank’s Advances to Priority Sectors”, – An Enquiry in to the Causes of Concentration, Economic and Political Weekly (March 26 1983); PP: 503–510.

    9. The World Bank Report. “Sustaining India’s Service Revolution” (2004).



     

    SNAKE CHARMERS AND THEIR CHALLENGES – A SOCIOLOGICAL STUDY


    Ramya Nagesh* & Dr. K .kalachannegowda**

    *Research student, Dept.of sociology, Manasagangotri, University of Mysore, Mysore

    **Research Guide, Dept.of sociology, Maharaja’s college, University of Mysore, Mysore


    Snake charming is the practice of pretending to hypnotize a snake by playing an instrument. A typical performance may also include handling the snakes or performing other seemingly dangerous acts, as well as other street performance staples like juggling and sleight of hand. The practice is most common in India though other Asian nations such as Pakistan, Bangladesh, Srilanka, Thailand and Malaysia are also home to performers, as are the North African countries of Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia.

    Ancient Egypt was home to one form of snake charming though the practice as it exists today likely arose in India. It eventually spread throughout south East Asia, the middle east and North Africa despite a sort of golden age in the 20th century snake charming is today in danger of dying out. This is due to a variety of factors; chief among them was the enforcement of a 1972 law in India banning ownership of serpents. Animal rights groups have also made impact by decrying what they deem to be the abuse of a number of endangered species. Other factors are urbanization and deforestation. Which have made the snakes upon which the charmers rely became increasingly rare. This has in turn given rise to single most reason snake charming is declining.

    Many snake charmers live a wandering existence, visiting towns and cities villages on market days and during festivals, with a few rare exceptions, however they typically make every effort to keep themselves from harm’s way more drastic means of protection include removing the creature’s fangs or venom glands, or even sewing the snake’s mouth shut. The most popular species are those native to the snake charmer’s home region typically various kinds of cobras through vipers and other types are also used.

    The earliest evidence for snake charming comes from Ancient Egyptian sources. Charmers there mainly acted as magicians and healers. As literate and high status men part of their studies involved learning the various types of snake, the gods to whom they were sacred and how to handle the animals and charm them for their patrons.

    One of the earliest records of snake charming appears in the bible in psalm. The wicked turn aside from birth learns go astray as soon as they are born. Their venom is like that of a snake, like a deaf serpent that does not respond to the magicians or to a skilled snake charmer.

    Snake charming as it exists today probably originated in India. Hinduism has long held serpents to be sacred the animals are related to the nagas, and many gods are pictured under the protection of the cobra, Indians thus considered snake charmers to be holy men who were influenced by the gods.

    The Earliest snake charmers were likely traditional healers by trade. As part of their training, they learned to treat snake bites. Many also learned proper snake handling techniques and people called on them to remove serpents from their homes. Baba Gulabgir (or Gulbgarnath) became their guru, since his legend states that tough people to revere the reptiles not fear them the practice eventually spread to nearby regions ultimately reaching North Africa and South east Asia.

    Today, only about one million snake charmers remain in India. Theirs is a dying profession. One reason for this is the rise of cable television, Nature documentaries have extinguished much of fear and revulsion once felt toward the animals and thus demystified the snake charmer. In addition many people have less spare time than they once did, especially children who in previous decades could watch a charmer all day with no commitments to school. Animal rights groups have also made the impact by decrying what they deem to be the abuse of a number of endangered species.

    India passed the wildlife protection act in 1972. The law originally aimed at preventing the export of snake skins, introducing a seven-year prison term for keeping or selling of the creatures. Beginning in the late 1990’s however animal- rights groups convinced the government to enforce the law with regard to snake charmers as well. As a result the charmers were forced to shift their performances to less travelled areas such as small villages or else to pay hefty bribes when caught by police. The trade is hardly a profitable one anymore and many practitioners must supplement their income by begging, or working as casual labourers. Children of snake charmers increasingly decide to leave the profession to pursue higher-paying work, and many fathers do not try to make them reconsider. People often view snake charmers as little more than beggars these days.

    The Indian Government and various animals–rights groups have now acknowledged the problem. One suggestion is to train the performers to be snake caretakers and educators. In return, they could sell their traditional medicines as souvenirs. Another proposal would try to focus attention on the snake charmer’s music; the charmer would be like other street musicians. The Indian Government has also begin allowing a limited number of snake charmers to perform at specified tourists places.

    Historically snake charmers were belonged to scheduled castes and scheduled tribes of Hindu religion. Later they were converted to Islamic religion. They were believed to be the offspring’s of Raj put-father and Muslim mother. Now their identity is in sayyiad sect of Muslim religion, who are recognized them as sapera Muslims community, but they can have the opportunity to identify themselves as Madari tribe.

    Sapera community was a backward community following the occupation of snake charming for many generations. They were found in the state of Bihar. They are also known as mastan and ustad .Based on their traditional occupation they are nomadic groups found in the north India. They speak urdu language. They are divided in to two groups the Iraqi and Irani. Both these groups are strictly Endogamous and there is no intermarriage between them. They remain as an extremely marginalized group suffering from poverty.

    CHALLENGES FACING BY SNAKE CHARMERS:

    At present scenario this snake charming occupation is a dying out profession. They are going to face too many challenges to continue their occupation like

    • People in cities today no longer seem so interested to watch us entice the snakes. They lead busy lives and don’t have the time or the inclination to watch performing cobras.

    • In Rural areas snake charmers can still attract large crowds, but that is mostly during festivals which are not held on a regular basis is also a problem.

    • The so-called snake charmers, most are illiterate or barely educated and it’s a generally a hereditary profession.

    • Another reason for this is the rise of cable television, Nature documentaries have extinguished much of fear and revulsion once felt toward the animals and thus demystified the snake charmer. Before the advent of Discovery channel and National Geographic channel, People could be hood winked by all sorts of concocted stories. Now it is hard to do. People have started learning so much about snakes and that it is not possible to fool people. Snakes are not as bad as they have been depicted by snake charmers.

    • Besides wildlife protection laws, another factor is also helping to drive their occupation to oblivion the growing market of nature oriented television programs in India.

    • India passed the wildlife protection act in 1972. The law originally aimed at preventing the export of snake skins, introducing a seven-year prison term for keeping or selling of the creatures.

    • After the enforcement of this law the trade is hardly a profitable one anymore and many practitioners must supplement their income by begging, or working as casual labourers.

    Having these kind of challenges to carry out their occupation which seems to be very difficult and they are facing problems like low social status, lack of education, lack of awareness about the public greviences,occupational insecurity, occupational threatening ill-treating women, political disabilities & etc..

    Suggestions: To face challenges and to solve out their problems some suggestions are given

    • Proper awareness and support should be provided for snake charmers to solve their problems by government, Resource persons, publics & etc.

    • Proper education should be provided by the government and it should be reach the people.

    • More and more educational camps should be conducted by government to attract the people of this community and to encourage them for joining to schools.

    • Status of women should be reform/improved

    • Awareness should be create to choose other occupations with this.

    • Training should be provided for them to do other occupations which can also do at their homes.

    • Their standard of living should be reform.

    Conclusion

    For each and every man in the society in one or the other way they are facing problems. In the contemporary Indian society they are facing many challenges and responses are because of their occupation. proper support and awareness should be provided for them then only they can get out or they can solve their problems as well each and every one should support them and ill treatment should be controlled and eradicate , & all their conditions should be reformed and then only they can lead problem less life.

    Notes: This research paper is based on secondary sources about the snake charmers

    References:

    • Jamie James (2007): The snake charmer : A life and death in pursuit of knowledge, Hyperion Books, Newyork

    • Alastair Lawson (2003): BBC correspondent, snake charmers facing difficulties throughout the world. BBC New South Asia.

    • Andy .C. High Field and Jane R. Bayley : Article – Folk lore myth and exploitation of Reptiles in morocco and Tunisia.

    • Aruna chandaraju (2005): Deccan Herald spectrum.

    • Bagla pallava(2002) : India’s snake charmers Fade Blaming Eco Laws.Tv, National Geographic News.

    • Bahar Dutt, Rachel Kaleta, Vikram Hosting, Independent Researcher(2008) : A Article – from charmers to educators: using indigenous knowledge for conservation education, wildlife Trust of India Pune snake park.

    • Bose Derek(2008): The snake charmers of India , The Tribune.

    • Jaya .P. yadav (2010) : Indigenous knowledge of medicinal plants used by saperas community of khetwas : Journal of Ethno biology and Ethno medicine, Research Article.


     

    Sustainable Community Empowerment through the Non-Governmental organization: with special reference to Chikmagaluru District


    Rajashekar.C*, Saravana.K** & Dr.Lokesha.M.U***

    *Research Scholar, Dept of Studies and Research in Social Work, Tumkur University

    **Research Scholar, Dept of Studies and Research in Social Work, Tumkur University

    ***Assistant Professor, Dept of Studies and Research in Social Work, Tumkur University


    Abstract

    In this study researcher focused on NGOs impact on sustainable community empowerment in Chikmagaluru district of Karnataka. NGOs are contributing significantly in bringing changes in society. There are 150 and above NGOs are working in Chikmagaluru by focusing various issues of social problems. In this study researcher adopted descriptive research design, he took beneficiaries as samples, he adopted both interview and observation technique to gather information. Researcher examined all data in SPSS software. In this study he found 68 percentage NGOs focused on ecological sustainable development and 92 percentage of benefiter expressed their opinion that local people collaboration among NGOs is produces predictable results in Sustainable Development. So on this study is going to examine the role of NGOs in sustainable community development.

    Keywords: Sustainable Development, Community, Empowerment, NGO, Chikmagaluru


    Introduction

    A Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) is a legally constituted, nongovernmental organization created by natural or legal persons with no participation or representation of any government. NGOs have developed to emphasize humanitarian issues, developmental aid and sustainable development. Non-governmental organizations need healthy relationships with the public to meet their goals.

    Role of NGOs

    • To supplement government efforts so as to offer the rural people.

    • To be the eyes and ears of the people at village level

    • To adopt simple and, innovative, flexible, and inexpensive means to reach community participation

    • To disseminate information

    • To make communities as self- reliant as possible

    • To demystify technology and bring it in simpler forms to the rural poor

    • To train a cadre of grass-root workers who believe in professionalizing volunteerism.

    • To mobilize financial resources

    • To organize the poor and generate awareness

    Sustainable Development

    Fulfilling the needs of today without sacrificing future generation needs. Thus, sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present, without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs

    The concept of sustainable development can be interpreted in many different ways, but at its core is an approach to development that looks to balance different, and often competing, needs against an awareness of the environmental, social and economic limitations we face as a society.

    Community Empowerment

    Community Empowerment is a way of strengthening civil society by prioritizing the actions of communities, and their perspectives in the Empowerment of social, economic and environmental policy. It seeks the empowerment of local communities, taken to mean both geographical communities, communities of interest or identity and communities organizing around specific themes or policy initiatives. It strengthens the capacity of people as active citizens through their community groups, organizations and networks, and the capacity of institutions and agencies to work in dialogue with citizens to shape and determine change in their communities it plays a crucial role in supporting active democratic life by promoting the autonomous voice of disadvantaged and vulnerable communities. It has a set of core values/ social principles covering human rights, social inclusion, equality and respect for diversity and specific skills for knowledge base

    Good community Empowerment is action that helps people to recognize and develop their ability and potential and organize themselves to respond to problems and needs which they share. It supports the organization of strong communities that control and use assets to promote social justice and help improve the quality of community life. It also enables community and public agencies to work together to improve the quality of community people.

    Strategies for community Empowerment:

    Participatory Rural Appraisal:

    PRA is an acronym of Participatory Rural Appraisal. It is a methodology for interacting with villagers, understanding them and learning from them. It involves a set of principles, a process of communication and a menu of methods for seeking villagers’ participation in putting forward their points of view about any issue and enabling them to do their own analysis with a view to make use of such learning.

    PRA is a means of collecting different kinds of data, identifying and mobilizing intended groups and evoking their participation and also opening ways in which intended groups can participate in decision making, project design, and execution and monitoring.

    PRA constitutes a process of involvement with rural people for indigenous knowledge building exercises. It is a way of learning from and with villagers to investigate, analyze and evaluate constraints and opportunities. PRA methods such as transect walk, social mapping, seasonal mapping, wealth mapping, health mapping, time trends, Venn diagram help people to deal with a community in a effective way.

    Conscientization:

    Paul Freire, a Brazilian educational theorist developed a popular and an education concept called Conscientization . Conscientization means critical thinking, making people to understand the reality about their surroundings and also mainly related with questioning attitude of people who are easily vulnerable in the society. This helps people to raise their critical consciousness to distinguish between what is right and wrong and to fight for their rights.

    Community Organization

     In community Organization method the community is the client. Community organization solves the Community Problems and fulfills the needs of the community. Many of the community problems like social injustice, poverty, inadequate housing, poor nutrition, lack of health, lack of medical services, unemployment, pollution, exploitation, bonded labour system, illicit arrack, dowry, female infanticide, women and children trafficking, drug trafficking etc. can be solved by using community organization method. In problem solving generally we use three basic aspects. They are study, diagnosis, and treatment. The problem has to be studied. For this we have to collect information regarding the problem. From the information collected we have to find out the causes. This is called as diagnosis. Based on the findings or diagnosis a solution is evolved that is called as treatment. We consider this model as medical model because doctors study the patient find out the causes for illness and based on findings, treatment or medicine is provided. Similar model is used in community organization method. Problems are solved with involvement of people. The resources are mobilized to solve the problems. This method is applicable for Indian situations because in India a large number of people are affected by poverty or other poverty related problems. They need solutions. For this community organization as a problem solving method can solve community problems. For example people in the dry area suffer due to lack of water for their cultivation. With the help of the community organizer and people’s participation watersheds can be made and ground water level is increased. Water stored during rainy season can help the people to continue cultivation. Here the whole village problem is related with water for irrigation and drinking purpose, which is solved by using community organization method.

    Sustainable development:

    In present scenario, sustainable development has become a buzzword. Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the needs of future generations to meet their own needs. In simple words, it is the process in which the set of desirable societal objectives or the development index does not decrease over time.

    Thus sustainable development involves devising a social and economic system, which ensures that these goals are sustained, that is, that real income rise, that educational standards

    Women Empowerment:

    ‘Empowering women’ is a vital social process mainstreaming women for development process. Development is a multi-dimensional process, involving major changes in social structures, popular attitudes and national institutions. Empowerment as a concept was first brought at the International Women’s Conference in 1985, at Nairobi. During the last 4 decades there has been a growing realization that achievement of sustainable development essentially needs the involvement of women in all the socio-economic activities and decision making process. Even though women are active agents of change and play a vital role both in the family and the society, the development processes have bypassed women and hence women still live in an unequal world. Women face discrimination in birth, health, education, employment, decision-making, legal issues etc. The Eight Five Year Plan has given a shift from ‘development’ ‘to empowerment’ of women.

    Women empowerment is a critical part of sustainable development. The empowerment of women at the individual level helps build a base for social change. Movements to empower women as a group increase opportunities available to individual women, and economic empowerment can increase women’s status in their families and societies. The strategy of micro-credit is an ideal and indispensable tool of women’s empowerment. Provision of financial services and easy access to them is important for the development of poor women. SHGs have fulfilled the need of women for access to financial resources in a cost effective way. Further, there has been a phenomenal change in their confidence level, decision making ability, social status and family relationships. This self-realization of their potential is the beginning process of women empowerment.

    Locality Development Model

    Jack Rothman has introduced three basic models of community organization. They are:

    Model A- Locality Development.

     Locality development model is a method of working with community groups .It was earlier used by the settlement houses. Here the important focus is about the process of community building. Leadership development and the education of the participants are the essential elements in the process.

    According to Murray Ross the "process of self help and communal action is valuable in its own right". The model of locality development is based on this particular thought process. It originated from the traditional community organization practice. The main focus of this model is whole community or a part of it. The basic belief is that communities have some common needs and interests and once the people realize this need and work together democratically they can take appropriate steps to improve the quality of life. Here the role of the community organizer is to enhance the involvement of the people in the community and help the community to plan and help them find a solution to the problem. It is similar to work of community development, which is done in the underdevelopment world.

    It refers to the community organization practice when a worker or an agency attempts to develop various schemes and programs to meet the needs of the target population in a defined area. It also includes coordination of various agencies providing a variety of services in the area.

    Model B- Social Planning:

     It refers to the type of community work where a worker or agency undertakes an exercise of evaluating welfare needs and existing services in the area and suggests a possible blue print for a more efficient delivery of services; it is termed as social planning. It is concerned with social problems For example. Housing, education, health, childcare and so on. Its aim is to affect a large population. The community planner works in greater capacity with the government and is often identified with power structure of the community but interested in the needs and attitudes of the community.

    Model C- Social Action:

    According to Friedlander,W.A. ( 1963) " Social Action is an individual, group or community effort within the framework of the social work philosophy and practice that aims to achieve social progress, to modify social policies and to improve social legislation and health and welfare services". Another model of community organization suggested by Rothman is that of social action. According to him social action is a strategy used by groups or sub communities or even national organizations that feel that they have inadequate power and resources to meet their needs. So they confront with the power structure using conflict as a method to solve their issues related to inequalities and deprivation.

    The role of social worker may be of advocate, activist, agitator, broker or negotiator. It is a process. This organizing process goes through different stage .So the role of the organizer will also change as per the roles of the organizer at each stage

    Research Methodology

    Title: “Sustainable Community Empowerment through the Non-Governmental organization: with special reference to Chikmagaluru”

    Objectives of the study

    • To know the socio-demographic profile of the respondents

    • To study the role of NGOs in sustainable development

    • To study the activities imparted by the organization

    • To suggest strategies for sustainable development

    Universe:

    For the purpose of the study few Selected NGOs of Chikmagaluru City were opted and the working employees of respondents 50 were taken.

    Sampling Method and Technique:

    The researcher has adopted Purposive sampling as a technique of Non-probability sampling.

    Tools of data collection:

    • Primary Data includes Interview schedule

    • Secondary Data includes texts, journals, and internet

    Major findings:

    • 70% of the respondents belong to the age group of 30-39

    • 66% of the respondents are Male

    • 55% of the respondents have the work experience of 5-9 years

    • 68% of the respondents agreed that agricultural development to be considered most

    • 70% of the respondents agreed that rural development is focused

    • 70% of the respondents also agreed that importance is also given to empowerment of women

    • 68% of the respondents consider ecological sustainable development is also taken care of

    • 90% of the respondents opined that education is the best strategy for sustainable development

    • 76% of the respondents opined that they had no co-operation in their organization

    • 92% of the respondents agreed that collaboration among NGOs results in Sustainable Development

    • 92% of the respondents agreed that lack of proper training leads to face many obstacles and challenges

    • 80% of the respondents support the concept of community participation

    • 92%of the respondents agreed that improper provision of basic requirements causes for problems in sustainable development

    Conclusion:

    In present scenario, sustainable development is the top line concern of the NGOs. The need for sustained growth and development has grown tremendously with the changing society. The country’s goal of sustainable growth, poverty reduction and equitable development cannot be achieved unless directly tackled at the rural level. Rural areas hold considerable potential for high return activities and productive livelihoods. Sustainable community development should emphasize on strategies for significant development of the community. Thus, the above mentioned strategies would help social workers to deal with the rural community for effective participation of rural people for rural progress, in turn resulting in development.

    Through this research, the researcher found that the NGOs are largely emphasizing on the need for sustainable community development, which requires a clear vision, with the envisioned activities and proper personnel to monitor the development process.

    It can be concluded that the “sustainable development of the community can strive the best results in the upliftment of the community”.

    References:

    • David Atchoarena, lavinia Gasperini(2003), Education for Rural development, Rawat publications, New Delhi.

    • Katar Singh(1999), Rural development, Sage publications

    • Kanchana Ratnam S (2000), Strategies for Rural Development, Dominant publishers and disrtributers, New Delhi.

    • Kaushil S, & Surat singh(2006) Reforms, Rural development and The human face, Deep and Deep publications.

    • Krishnamoorthy J (2000), Rural Development, Rawat publications.

    • Misra P D & Beena Misra( 2004), Social Work Profession in India, New Royal Book Co, Delhi.

    • Narwani G S(2002), Training for rural development, Rawat publications, New Delhi.

    • Neela mukherjee (1998), Participatory Rural Appraisal-methodology and applications, Concept publishing company,New Delhi.

    • Singh R B ( 2002), Sustainable Development, Rawat Publications, New Delhi

    • Singh R S ,Gautam P R (2011),Social work and Rural Development, Centrum presss, New Delhi

    • Sulbha Khanna, Upma diwan (2003), Rural Development, Sonali publications, New Delhi

    • Verma S B, Sankaran P N, Shrivastawa R K (2006), Rural- Based Developmental Strategies, Deep & Deep publications Pvt Ltd


     

    Globalization and Rural Women Empowerment


    H.M. Mohana

    Research Scholar, Dept. of History, Manasagangothri, Mysore


    Introduction

    The status of women an India can be assessed by quantifying the rate of female infanticide, foeticide, abduction, dowry death, torture, molestation, sexual harassment, unequal inheritance and property rights, desertion, polygamy etc. The persistence of sharp gender inequalities in many different forms is one of the most striking aspects of Indian society, and it yields disparities in well being as well as differences in power and decision making authority.

    The different focus of gender inequality can be stated as

    1. Survival inequality

    2. Natality inequality

    3. Unequal facilities

    4. Ownership inequality

    5. Unequal sharing of household benefits and chores

    6. Domestic violence and physical victimization

    These inequalities will be eradicated only through empowering women in all aspects viz., socially, economically and politically. Moreover the women empowerment can be done through providing proper education, health and nutrition facilities. Government is making continued efforts to provide equitable growth opportunities for women who are increasingly being reflected among other in increased participation by women in local governments and decisions making programmes for women studies point out that expanding woman’s economic opportunities results in tfaeir social empowerment thus, leading to improved livelihood. Creating an environment through positive economic and social policies for full development of women enable them to realize their fall potential. Keeping in this in mind our government introduces the concept self help groups. These Self help groups and globalization help the rural women to redress from poverty and lead to economic empowerment. Economic development plays an important role in the development and growth of any society. The importance of promoting women to engage in economic activities is being increasingly realized in all developing countries. The need is two fold:

    • To empower women by bringing them into the mainstream of development and improving their economic status; and

    • To provide new employment opportunities by way of income generation, self employment and entrepreneurship to women from different socio-economic Sectors.

    So the economic empowerment of a women leads to the empowerment of women in many things socio-economic opportunity, property rights, political representation, social equality, personal rights and so on. When a woman is empowered it does not mean that another individual (may be man or woman) becomes powerless of less powerful. On the contrary, if a woman is empowered her competencies towards decision-making will surely influence her family’s / neighbour’s behavior.

    Globalization and Rural Women Empowerment

    The concept of globalization is one that has become widely used in debates, in politics, business and need an over the past few years. A decade ago, the term “Globalization” was relatively unknown. Today it seems to be on the top of everyone’s tongue. Globalization refers to the fact that we are, all increasingly living in one world, so that individuals, groups and nations become more independent.

    In the context of woman that impact of globalization will have to be assessed carefully, the will documented facts regarding gender inequalities that so far have affected women’s capabilities negatively demand unequivocally the policy-makers pay careful attention to enhancing women’s capabilities. It is a general perception that women tend to bear the brunt of globalization. On the one hand the general deterioration of living conditions and traditional patriarchal attitudes meant that they have had to take care of their families while generating an income, on the other hand. Women are often the victims of plant closure. The complete backwardness of rural women in observed in that their direct and indirect interaction with the rest of the worlds is limited. Most of the women have not gone beyond their village physically and mentally. They don’t know how the world’s looks like outside, what is happening in the socio-political scene of the country, who is ruling and what policies are being introduced or implemented. Their knowledge is limited to jus: their families and village situations. They have a very narrow perception of things.

    But now the rural women have changed the world’s role and status the educated women empowerment takes place. One of the best examples of women empowerment is that involvement of women in Self Help Groups and earning income through starting income generation programmes The rural women started to welcome the birth of a girl child and she will be equally treated a: par with her brother, encouraging female education and ever after marriages she will contribute to economic interdependence, participation, decision- making and finally equal status will be give:: in the family.

    According to Amarty Sen, “Women are less likely to secure favourable outcomes for themselves in household decision making processes. They feel that their long term security lies in subordinating their well being to that of male authority figures”.

    According to Bangladeshi Nobel Peace Prize winner Md. Yunus “Rural Development means development of weaker section, low income groups, debar form development, depressed, exploited and livelihood needy like ST / SC, minorities, unemployed and women are needed sensitive Micro-finance and Micro-credit soft loan, without guarantor loan and financial assistance to needy person, than they can survive and develop”. Self Help Group and Micro Finance emphasized on the importance of micro finance. Micro Finance has initiated the process of ensuring delivery of :redit for self employment and development. Micro finance is one of the tools to attack poverty. Manab Sen, 2000). After the reform initiative for the globalization of the economy, the challenges of inequality and the feminization of poverty have been unequivocally exacerbated. So the women’s groups have started discussing the financing for development and they have started demanding and they have started demanding specific allocation of resources for women’s development. (G.Palanithurai, T.Parthiban, J.Vanishree, 2007)

    Many studies on women empowerment shows that the self help groups are providing much opportunity for rural women empowerment. Nowadays those women are becoming more conscious of their rights as the society has begun to respond. More and more women these days are adopting :areer and findings employment as individual, while contributing to the building of rural economy of India. Women in search of better status, social dignity, self earned income and greater influence and party with these of male counterparts have shown impressive results of their performance in second decade. Social taboos and other restriction on the rural women are slowly but surely fading away because of the constantly rising standard in life. Thus we can say globalization of worlds helps in women empowerment particularly rural women empowerment in some manner.

    Implication of Globalization on rural women empowerment through Self Help Groups

    Globalization presents much opportunity for women empowerment. Particularly Self Help Groups are an effective and efficient tool for empowering rural women. Self Help Groups is a potential source to empower and institutionalize participatory leadership among the marginalized and it identify plan and initiate development activities. Self Help Group enhances equality of status for women as participative decision makers and beneficiaries in the democratic economic, local and cultural spheres of life.

    It is rightly said, “Strength comes in a multitude of voices”. It is easy to alleviate poverty through SHGs. The SHG perform various processes which includes “voluntary donation” of money for saving purposes “Micro Credit” for mutual cultural sharing purposes etc, each and every processes of SHGs pay a vital role for economic development.

    The studies on women empowerment through self help groups are revealing the following outcomes among rural women:



    1. More Economic Opportunity and Economic Security

    The economic activity performed by the SHG women increases income of the family and no.’ they are contributing to the family’s prosperity. Their freedom to work in a group and to earn income has contributed to the reduction of their poverty. Their freedom of economic activity has led to economic security. This also leads to ownership rights over the assets created by their, through their own income. The presence of claims of property amplifies the voices of women, anc it makes it easier for women to enter and flourish in economic commercial and social activities Ultimately it releases them from the clutches of money-lenders.

    2. Increased Self-confidence

    Activity through the SHG has increased the self-confidence of women by making them stakeholders of the project they have chosen. Since they realize their responsibility they tend to act in an accountable manner, which raises their self-confidence ultimately. The economic upliftmen: through their income has motivated them psychologically and their exposure to the world outside their family has given them the opportunity to understand the society they live in better. Their contribution to the family makes them highly prestigious in family and community.

    3. Status and Decision-making power within the Household and Community

    When women earn income outside the household make them to have a respectable position in the family and community. The ownership of property also makes women more powerful in family and community decisions. Their economic activity not only generates income but also provides the social benefits that come from women’s enhanced status and independence. The economic participation of women is, thus, both a reward on it own with associated reduction of gender bias in the treatment of women in family and community decisions, they are started to participate in solving community problems, and a major influence for social change in general.

    4. Social Mobility

    After joining in SHGs, the women have come outside their house through that their physical mobility from house to their work station has created a significant impact. Now, as a group of women, they frequently move outside their home and village. They frequently meet the higher officials in DRDA, collectorate, free legal cell and police stations. They also move to different place regarding their trade and business. This provides a chance to have nuance with different persons. This helps them to know the world outside their home.

    5. Ability to Interact Effectively in the Public Sphere

    The opportunity to move in the public sphere has increased their efficiency to interact with others. Through this their trading, negotiation skills have increased. They were meeting higher officials, political leaders and other professional without any hesitation and shyness. The SHGs are providing training in different lines such literacy, education, income generating occupation; training in small saving, health etc., through these SHGs is becoming one of the promoters of social and economic status of women in society. This has enhanced their ability to make purchases and sell their products.

    6. Political Participation and Community Involvement

    The SHG women have made their endeavour in community activity and political activity. They also participating in Gram Sabha activities and providing their views to solve their problems of their villages. The SHG members were contesting in the panchayat elections and becoming as village presidents and ward members. This has given them the opportunity to participate in group, community and civic activities. They have collectively achieved many things like putting an end to illicit liquor, water crisis, conducting medical camps and so on. They accept the people living with HIV/AIDS and involve them in group activities. They give preference to those people in starting income generation programmes. They also involved in preparing village development plan. This shows that, given the opportunity, women have been able to play roles at diverse levels of Political activities and social initiatives.

    To conclude in olden days, women did not participate in any activities like social, economic, cultural or political. They lived within the four walls of their houses. They are considered as only (child) producer. They are not treated equally within family and society. Domestic violence and atrocities are highly practiced against the women. They live as a slave in the patriotically structured society. But now the things have change. Women started coming out of their family barriers. They are fighting for their rights and demands. They collectively raise their voices fore quality, liberty and in gaining power. These all led to great emphasize on women development and empowerment.

    Empowerment is a tool used to uplift the women form the grassroots family level. It is the process through which women are trained to gain power. It is only empowerment which set their mind that they are not inferiors to men and they can equally compete with men women empower-ment is a social process which is necessary for the development of women. It is a base for human liberation and empowerment for all. SHGs try to increase standard of living of women i.e., it tires to increase the socio economic and political status of women in this patriarchic society. It is identified in this study there is relationship between Globalization and Self Help Group implication in rural women empowerment, the SHG members are socially and economically developed than non Self Help Group members. Participation in economic activities is the women’s key to their personal advancement and their status in the society. After women started associating themselves in SHGs may changes have taken place in all speres in life. HGs have paved the way for the emergence of new awakening in women by giving them an opportunity to come out of their house, making them associate with others and providing them loan for their economic activity and also a ground to realize and practice their social and political responsibility. Their interactional position in community work, which was once considered men’s spheres, and they have got a hold on decision-making both in the household and outside. It also enables them to acquire knowledge, develop self-esteem and take responsibility for their own lives. Moreover activities through SHGs will bring an end to the gender disparities in economic power-sharing and take responsibility for their own lives. Moreover activities through SHGs will bring an end tot her gender disparities in economic power-sharing, which is an important factor of the poverty of women. Feminization of poverty has become a significant problem and the experience through the SHG shows that setting up of micro enterprises at grassroots level will help to cope with this problem. Women contribute. To the economy and eradication of poverty through their micro enterprises. The contribution of income by a woman to a family will empower the whole family and community.

    Finally, SHG members are more empowered they can encourage non-Self Help Group women to take membership in Self Help Group and subsequently motivate them to participate in socic – economic activities. If more women join in SHG, that will really lead to progress of not only women in society but the entire nation. The progress of women leads to the progress of the nation.

    References :

    1. Mohan R, Economic Growth, Financial Deepening and Financial Inclusion, Annual Bankers’ Conference, BIS Review 113/2006.

    2. Littlefield E, Heims B and Porteous D, Financial Inclusion 2015: Four Scenarios for the Future of Microfinance, GAP Focus Note No 39, 2006.

    3. Joseph, Mathew, 2007-08, Financial Inclusion for Inclusive Growth, Vinimaya, XXVIII, 13-23.




     

    CAMPAIGN OF NATIONAL EDUCATION PROGRAMMES IN PRINCELY MYSORE STATE (1920-1948)


    Dr.A.N.Suresha

    Assistant Professor and Head of the Department of History, Gov’t First Grade College, Nagamangala (Devalapura Hand post), Mandya – 571432


    The Education system in India was introduced by the British and it was foreign in nature and that was not a real national education. Mahatma Gandhiji observed that this new education system did not have any relation with Indian way of life. Along with that it was his intention to educate the Indians with National Education, through which fill their mind with nationality and the spirit of self respect ultimately creating the leaders for Indian National Freedom. The contributed of National Education in the Indian struggle for freedom was significant.

    This concept was not limited to any particular region of India. Here in this research paper an attempt is made to trace out the role of National Education and its development in the princely Mysore State from 1920 to 1948.

    ORIGIN OF THE SCHEME

    Gandhiji found the main defects of the system of education as, “I am fully convinced that present system of education is not only wasteful but positively harmful. They would pickup evil habits. English has created a permanent bar between the highly educated few and the uneducated many.” He further said, “let us now cry a halt and concentrate on educating the child properly through manual work not as a side activity but as a prime means of intellectual activity.” The scheme was the outcome of sound thinking of Gandhiji. Perhaps Gandhiji is the only freedom fighter in the world who initiated and strengthened several constructive programmers for the economic, educational and social development of national reconsrtruction. Gandhiji emphasized self-sufficient aspect of education along with other aspects. In fact he wanted India to be self-sufficient in every walk of national life.

    In July 1937, Gandhiji wrote in the Harijan, “By education, I mean an all-round drawing out of the best in child and man – body, mind and spirit… Literacy itself is not education, I would, therefore, begin the child’s education by teaching it a useful handicraft and enabling it to produce from the moment it begins its training. Thus every school can made self supporting, the condition begin that the state takes over the manufacture of these schools.”

    Hindustani Talimi Sangh

    One of the great problems in India was of education. The literacy fingures had been so low and stagnant chiefly on account of lack of funds in the Birtish Indian budget for coping with this colossal work and also fer the utter unsuitability of the system of institution for the mess of Indian boys. It was once again the genius of Gandhiji which devised a new system of education-the Basic National Education.

    At the Haripura session, the Congress passed a resolution on national education. It said: “It is essential to build up national education on a new foundation and on a nationwide scale. As the Congress is having new opportunities of service and of influencing and controlling State education, it is necessary to lay down the basic principles which should guide such education and to take other necessary step to give effect to theme . The Congress is of opinion that for the primary and secondary stages a basic education should be imparted.”

    The Hindustani Talimi Sangh (All- India Education Board) came into existence in April, 1938.

    It made good progress. Two provinces, C.P. and U.P accepted it as their official policy of primary education. Training Centres wese set up by the Governments in Bihar, Orissa, Bombay, Madras, Kashmir, Maysore and other places, besides such private centers as the Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi and at Masulipatam and Gujarat, as well as schools for the children.

    In connection with the ongoing constructive programmes in the princely State of Maysore several activities have originated with the national interest by the natives, who were inspired by the Gandhiji ideology of National Education. Following are some of the activities took palce into the princely state of Maysore during the period of 1920 to 1948.

    In the year 1924 one Ganapathi Sasthri from Maysore state studied in the National Education school at Lucknow, when he returned to Mysore started Gandhian Costructive Programmes. Mainly he concentrated on the National Education campaign, he also made several National leaders to visit the places on the bullock cart for the campaign of National Education. one Harirahara Sharma from has involved himself in the national education campaign organized a conference for the publicity of Hindi at Bagalore in 1927. Again in the August same year when Gandhiji visited Bangalore Harihara Sharma organized first ever All Karnataka Hindi publicity conference, on the last day of the conference Mahatma Gandhiji on his speech mentioned “north India is larger than south India, people does not learn Hindi it is not possible to go to north India crossing the fort like Vindhya Mountains.

    It is not only for the communication purpose that south India people has to learn Hindi, but with learning Hindi made south Indian people to show how big have mindset of Nation, instead of concentrating on the local languages. In this regard every person if spend two hours in a weak, within six month they will Hindi very easily. So it is necessary organize this kind of conferences for putting the Hindi learning on the strong foundation.”

    In the year 1929 ‘Hindi premi Mandali’ was established in the Sreerampet of Maysore. In 1934 when Gandhiji visited Mysore, he mentioned that through learning Hindi language make the National Education programme a success. In connection with the National Education Campaign several individuals had contributed their valuable service and made the State of Mysore as a Model State even in adopting the Gandhin Constructive Programmes.

    Gandhi posited three elements needed for social transformation: personal transformation, political action, and constructive programme. He saw them as intertwined, all equally necessary to achieve social change. The core elements that Gandhi saw as necessary for transforming and liberating India involved programmes to embody equality, liberate education, promote economic self-reliance, and create a clean environment. Equality meant creating ashams, political campaigns, and cooperative enterprises across social divides. They would cut through communal lines (Hindu/Muslim/Sikh, etc.), gender inequality, and caste distinctions—especially ‘untouchability’—and include members of the ‘hill tribes’ and people suffering from leprosy. Gandhi began education projects: literacy campaigns to promote basic reading and math skills, political education, knowledge about health, and nonviolence training for students. His economic self-reliance campaigns involved, most famously, spinning homemade cloth, which was done throughout India. A constructive programme that was often done collectively, it was also a campaign of non-cooperation with Indians’ systematic dependency on the British for cloth. Economic self-reliance also involved diversifying crops, creatinf village industries, and developing labour unions. Environmental efforts involved the whole community in village sanitation, which meant, for Hindus, overtly flouting caste norms.

    The process of working on constructive programme has fundamental benefits, the first of which is providing immediate assistance to those in greatest need. As people come together in community, not individual, action, they build constituencies for social charge. Gandhi saw constructive programme as training for civil disobedience, which often included non cooperation. Constructive work provides opportunities to develop the skills needed to build a new society.

    References:

    1. Ambedkar.B.R., Gandhi and Gandhism

    2. Battacharya., Evolution of the political philosophy of Gadhi, Calcutta Book Housr, Calcutta, 1969

    3. Diwakar.R.R., Karnataka through the Ages.

    4. Doreswamy.H.S, From Princely Autocracy to people’s Government, Sathiya Mandira, Bangalore, 1993

    5. Gandhi M.K., An Auto Biography of the story of my Experience with Truth, Navjivan publishing House, Ahmadabad.

    6. Gandhi M.K. My Philosophy of life, Navjivan publishing House, Ahmadabad, 1938

    7. Gandhi. M.K. Thoughts on National Language, Navjivan publishing House, Ahmadabad, 1956

    8. Halappa. G.S., History of Freedom Movement in Karnataka, Vol-II, Bangalpre, 1964

    9. Suryanath U Kamat, Karnataka State Gazetteer, (Mysore Distict)

    10. Suryanath U Kamath, Karnataka State Gazetteer, (Bangalore Distict)

     

    CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONISIBILITY AND COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT


    Ratnakar N Ambig

    MBA IV Sem, Uttar Kannada


    Abstract

    Corporate social responsibility (CSR) refers to strategies corporations or firms conduct their business in a way that is ethical, society friendly and beneficial to community in terms of development. This article analyses the meaning of CSR based on some theories available in literature. It is argued that three theories namely utilitarian, managerial and relation theories of CSR supported by works of other scholars in the area could be used to suggest that CSR becomes an international concern due to globalized nature of business that knows that no border. CSR is evolving in its meaning and practice. The article then discusses the role of CSR in community development because the very logic of CSR is towards seeing its impact in community socially, environmentally and economically. Competencies required by CSR managers are also analyzed in order to have a better understanding of the practical aspects of CSR. Finally conclusions and implication for future research are discussed.

    Keywords: corporate social responsibility, community development, competencies of CSR managers, multinational corporations, corporate-society relations.


    Introduction

    The issue of corporate social responsibility has been debated since 1950s.latest analyses by Secchi and lee reported that the definition of CSR has been changing in meaning and practice. The classical view of CSR was narrowly limited to philanthropy and then shifted to the emphasis on business-society relations particularly referring to the contribution that a corporation or firm provided for solving social problems. In the early twentieth century, social performance was tied up with market performance. The pioneer of this view ,however, encouraged management to take the initiative in raising both ethical standards and justice in society through the ethic of economizing. i.e, economize use of resources under the name of efficient resource mobilization and usage. The present-day CSR is a concept whereby business organizations consider the interest of society by taking responsibility for the impact of their activities on customers, suppliers, employees, shareholders, communities and stakeholders as well as their environment.

    Nature of CSR

    Nature of corporate social responsibility includes:

    1. Positive Approach: CSR is a positive business-driven response to the business environment of today. CSR is not an add-on for business; it is increasingly being integrated into business operations, governance, management systems and thinking. It must therefore be seen within the context of the totality of a business today.

    2. Multi-Dimensional Concept: CSR is a multi-dimensional concept covering social, economic and environmental concerns, and continually evolving within the diversity of the market. The diversity of the marketplace makes innovation a critical aspect in the development and implementation of the varied CSR initiatives .Efforts to regulate or standardize such an inherently dynamic process of voluntary action would stifle this very fundamental characteristic.

    3. Not an Alternative: CSR is not an alternative to regulation. Governments must be responsible for the implementation and enforcement of national laws.

    Scope of CSR

    Brummet suggested five possible areas in which corporate social responsibility objectives may be found. The term ‘contribution’ includes social costs as well as social benefits associated with an organization’s activities. They are as follows

    1. 1.Net Income Contribution: The social objectives of a business by no means reduce the importance of the income objective .Without an adequate return on investment, a business organization cannot exist. Furthermore, long-range planning for a business unit includes calculating the minimum return on shareholder’s equity. A business must contribute to the overall economic development of the society. If the business fails to recognize the social problems, its performances may be affected either in the short-run or in the long-run. This improper working condition may lead to lower productivity or causes damage to the quality of the product.

    2. Human Resource Contribution: The impact of organizational activities reflects on the people who constitute the human resources of the organization. i.e., social performance of a business directed towards the well-being of employees. These activities includes following:

    1. Recruitment practices and training programs,

    2. Employee skill, knowledge, attitudes and self-actualization,

    3. Wages and salary level, fringe benefits,

    4. Experience building-job rotation,

    5. Job enrichment,

    6. Management-trade union relationship,

    7. On-the-job physical environment and safety,

    8. Congruence of employee and organization goals,

    9. Occupational health,

    10. Transfer and promotion policies,

    11. Freedom from undue stress, and

    12. Job security, stability of workforce, lay-off and recall practices.

    1. Public Contribution: The impact of organizational activities on individuals or groups of individuals generally outside the business is the topic for discussion under this area. Examples include:

    1. Generally philanthropy –contributions of the organization towards educational, charitable or cultural organizations

    2. Equal opportunity employment practices,

    3. Employment and training of physically handicapped persons,

    4. Taxes and duties paid, and

    5. Financial or manpower support of the business for urban housing, health services, public transportation , etc.

    1. Environmental Contribution: This area involves the environmental aspects of production. Activities directed towards alleviating or preventing environmental deterioration. E.g., air, water, noise pollution, conservation of scarce resources and the disposal of solid waste .

    2. Product or Service Contribution: This area concerns the qualitative aspects of the organization product or service which includes consumerism, product quality, packaging, advertising, warranty provisions, product safety. There are differences in relative importance of product and service contribution to society in various industries.

    Need of CSR

    Corporate social responsibility becomes a necessity for an organization due to the following reasons:

    1. To Provide Sense of Responsibility: The institution of business exists only because it performs invaluable services for society. Society gives business its charter can be amended or revoked at any time if it fails to live up society’s expectations. Therefore, if business intends to retain its existing social role and social power it must respond to society’s needs constructively.

    2. To Fulfils Long-Run Self–Interest: a business organization most sensitive to community needs would, in its own self-interest, like to have a better community in which to conducts its business. To achieve that, it would implement special programs for social welfare. As a result of social improvements, crime will decrease. Less money will be required to protect property.

    3. To Improve Public Image: Each business organization must enhance its public image to secure more customers, better employees, and higher profit. The public image concept may be extended to the accomplishment of various types of social goals. So if the firm wants to capture a favorable public image, it will have to show that it also supports these social goals.

    4. To Avoid Government Regulation or Control: Regulation and control are costly to business, both in terms of energy and money and restrict its flexibility of decision making. Failure of businessmen to assume social responsibilities invites government to intervene and regulate or control their activities. By their own socially responsible behavior, they can prevent government intervention.

    5. To Avoid Misuse of National Resources and Economic Power: Businessmen command considerable power over the productive resources of a community. They are obliged to use those resources for the common good of society. They should not forget that the power to command national resources has been delegated to them by the society to generate more wealth for its betterment.

    6. To Avoid Class Conflicts: Industrial peace is a precondition for the success of business. Trade unions are becoming more and more militant and demand social welfare measures, better wages, better working conditions, etc. Their demand derives its force from the fast changing social environment.

    7. To Convert Resistance into Resources: If the innovative ability of a business is turned to social problems, many resistances can be transformed into resources and the functional capacity of resources may be increased manifold. All problems may not be capable of being handled this way, but many of them would be solved to the ultimate benefit of society.

    8. To Minimize Environmental Damage: The effluence of many businesses positively damages the surrounding environment. They are duty bound to repair damage by recognizing their ecological responsibility towards society.

    CSR Principles

    No universal rules for social responsibility to every company. However, the following broad principles are widely accepted by managers:

    1. Corporations are Economic Institutions Run for Profit: Corporations greatest responsibility is to create economic benefits. They should be judged primarily on economic criteria and can be expected to meet major social objectives without financial incentives. Corporations may incur short run costs on social incentives that promise long term benefits and should seek ways to solve social problems at a profit.

    A) Follow Multiple Bodies Law: All firms must follow multiple bodies of law including:

    1. Corporation laws and chartering provisions,

    2. The civil and criminal laws of nations,

    3. Government regulation,

    4. International law .

    B) Managers Must Act Ethically: Managers must respect the law and , addition, confirms their behavior to ethical principles. They should also set up codes, policies, producers to elevate behavior within the firm.

    1. Correct Adverse Social Impacts: Corporations have a duty to correct the adverse social impacts they cause. They should internalized external costs, or costs of production borne by society. A factory dumping toxic effluent into a stream creates cost such as human animal disease that are imposed on innocents, not on the company or its customers.

    1. Social Responsibility Varies with Company Characteristics: social responsibility varies with company characteristics such as size, industry, product, strategies, marketing techniques, location, internal cultures and external demands.

    2. b)Meet Legitimate Needs of Stakeholders: Manager should try to meet legitimate needs of multiple stakeholders. Although corporations have a fiduciary duty to stakeholders, it is not legally required, or desirable or possible to manage solely in their interest. Customers, employees, governments, communities, and other groups also have

    3. c )Company with Norms: corporate behavior must comply with norms in an underlying social contact. To understand this contract and how it changes, managers can study direction of the national policies and global norms as evident in legislation, regulations, treaties, trade agreements, declarations and public opinions.

    4. d)Accept a Measure of Accountability of Integrity: Corporations should accept a measure of accountability towards society and publicly report on their market, mandated and voluntary actions.

    5. e)Maintain High Standards of Integrity: Corporations should maintain high standards of integrity. This means that one must be honest and fair in all dealings. No tolerance for engagement in bribery or other forms of corruption.

    CSR Strategies

    Organization can adopt a variety of strategies to social responsibility. For example, a firm that never considers the consequences of its decisions and tries to hide its transgressions taking on obstructionist stance. At the other extreme, a firm that actively seeks to identify areas where it can help society is pursuing a practice stance towards social responsibility.

    Some people advocate a larger social role for organizations and others argue that the role is already too large. Not surprisingly, organizations themselves adopt a wide range of positions on social responsibility.

    The four stances that on organization can take concerning its obligations to society fall along a continuum ranging from the lowest to the highest degree of socially responsible practices

    1. Obstructionist Stance: The few organizations that take what might be called an obstructionist stance to social responsibility usually do as little as possible to solve social or environmental problems. When they cross the ethical or legal line that separates acceptable firm unacceptable practices, their typical response is to deny or avoid accepting responsibility for their actions.

    2. Defensive Stance: One step removed from the obstructionist stance is the defensive stance, whereby organization does everything that it required of it legally, but nothing more. This approach is most consistent with the arguments used against social responsibility. Managers in organizations that take a defensive stance insist that their job is to generate profits. For example, such a firm would install pollution control equipment dictated by law but would not install higher quality but slightly more expensive equipment even though it might limit pollution further. Tobacco companies like Philip Morris take this position in their marketing efforts. In the united state, they are legally required to include warning to smokers on their product and to limit their advertising to prescribed media. Domestically they follow these rules to the letter of the law but use stronger marketing methods in countries that have no such rules

    3. Accommodative Stance: A firm that adopts an accommodative stance meets its legal and ethical obligations but will also go beyond these obligations in selected cases. The such firm voluntarily agree to participate in social programs but solicitors have to convince the organization that the programs are worthly of its support.

    4. Proactive Stance: The highest degree of social responsibility that a firm can exhibit is the proactive stance. Firms that adopt this approach take to heart the arguments in favor of social responsibility. They view themselves as citizens in a society and proactively seek opportunities to contribute.

    Types of CSR

    1. Environmental Corporate Social Responsibility: People expect business to exhibit environmentally responsible behavior, as evidenced by a price water house coopers survey that found that the no.1 issue for companies in the future, accordingly to U.S respondents, is carbon emissions reductions. Specific environmental issues that effects business includes global warming, sustainable resources and pollution.

    2. Human Rights Corporate Social Responsibility: The 21 century marketplace is highly global. This means that when a product is purchased in the united state, e.g., it may have been produced in China, or have components from South America. The ethical issue for corporations is ensuring that human rights are respected throughout all levels of the supply chain.

    3. Financial Corporate Social Responsibility: Financial responsibility is an important issue in corporate responsibility. In the wake of the accounting fraud perpetrated by Enron and Arthur Anderson and Ponzi schemes orchestrated by the likes of Bernie Madoff and Satyam in India, business are questioned about the accuracy of their financial reporting by leyincreasingly skeptical shareholders and government officials, as evidence by the Sarbanes Oxely act.

    4. Political Corporate Social Responsibility: Trading repressive regimes is a difficult issue in corporate social responsibility. Some business argues that working with these regimes will help to advance them and bring rights to the countries. People and government have demanded that business stop trading with repressive regimes, which was most notably observed when several western government launched an embargo against the apartheid government in South Africa during the 980s.

    Best Practices of CSR

    1. Set Measurable Goals: Return on investment has always been a difficult thing to measure. In order to accomplish this in CSR policy. Goldschein suggests an implementing small changes to home, such as improving employee policies that decrease turnover and improve recruitment. Simple steps, like minimizing waste and resources use, are changes that can be developed into a memorable story about how sustainability efforts support company’s overall corporate strategy.

    2. Stakeholder Engagement: Leaving their stakeholders out of the loop is one of the top mistakes companies make when trying to jump on the green/socially responsible bandwagon. In order for company to articulate its value, missions, strategy and implementation in the creation of CSR plan, it is important for everyone to be some page. Stakeholders can help by partaking in the regulatory approvals process, improving relationships proactively, or solving CSR roadblocks and potential crises.

    3. Sustainability Issues Mapping: This approach uses interactive maps to help in priorities and narrow down key issues, saving company time and money during in the initial research stage. For e.g., Sir Geoffrey Chandler, founder and chair of Amnesty International U. K, praises sustainability issues mapping as “a most stimulating approach.

    4. Sustainability Management System(SMS): Developing a frame work to ensure that environmental, social and economic concerns are consider in tandem throughout organization’s decision-making processes. Organization should start by identifying and prioritizing sustainability aspects and impact.

    5. Lifecycle Assessment: Product design is critical. Gone are the days where immediate product was the only thing that the matter, without any given thought to its afterlife. A scradle-to-cradle approach exhibits a company’s creativity and innovation and can, consequently improve its bottom line.

    6. Sustainability /CSR Reporting: CSR reporting has increased in popularity over the past few years, increasing government regulations as well as self-regulation by forward-thinking companies. It is important that consumer base has easy access to an organization’s and latest and greatest efforts, in a way that does not minimize what they are doing.

    7. Sustainability Branding: Transparency is a key in sustainability branding. For e.g., Clorox Green Work when endorsed by the Sierra club, can able to capture 42% of the market share in their first year.

    Indian Examples of CSR Initiatives

    As estimate 100 corporate foundations and 25 foreign firms are involved in CSR activities in India, but statistics on input and output are elusive. Companies, continue to rely on different models to earmark its social expenditure, making it difficult to measure the overall impact.

    Here are a few illustrations of the different social responsibility functions that Indian companies typically performed:

    1. Reliance Industries and Two Group firms-Tata Motors and Tata Steel-are the country’s most admired companies for their corporate social responsibility initiatives, according to a Nielsen survey released in may 2009. Tata steel Ltd., which runs an 850-bed hospital and rural projects in 800 villages around Jamshedpur, spends an average of
      Rs-150 crore as a part of its annual revenue expenditure.

    2. As a part of its Corporate Service Corps (CSC) program, IBM has joined hands with the Tribal Development Department of Gujarat for a development project aimed at upliftment of tribal in the Sasan area of Gir forest.

    3. The financial services sector is going green in a steady manner. With an eye on preserving energy, companies have started easing the carbon footprint in their offices. The year 2009 witnessed initiatives including application of renewable energy technologies, moving to paperless operations and recognition of environmental standards. Efforts by companies such as HSBS India, Max New York Life, and standard Chartered Bank have ensured that the green movement has kept its momentum by asking their customers to shift to e-statement and e-receipts.

    4. State-owned Navratna Company, coal India ltd., (CIL) invested U.S. $67.5 million in 2010-11 on social and environmental causes.

    5. Public sector aluminum company NALCO has contributed U.S.$3.23 million for development work in Orissa’s Karafuto district as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).

    6. A V Birla Group is involved in social and economic development of communities.

    7. BHEL has contributed to the development of quality of life in rural areas, health care and family welfare, adult education, etc.

    8. Reddy’s Labs promotes education, livelihood and community development.

    9. Escorts Ltd., has worked for farm mechanization, agriculture development, healthcare, etc.

    10. Hindustan Unilever focuses on health, empowerment of women, and education of special children. Unilever is using microenterprise to strategically augment of the penetration of consumer products in rural markets.

    11. ICICI Bank’s focus areas are elementary education, universal access to financial services, etc.

    12. Infosys through its Infosys Foundation provide assistance to social development, art, culture, school, libraries, for higher education and research.

    13. ITC Ltd., is socially active in rural development especially in the areas of agriculture, culture, sports and pollution control. ITC have made farmer development a vital part of its business strategy and made major efforts to improve the livelihood standards of rural communities.

    14. Steel Authority of India Ltd., (SAIL), the country’s largest steel company, contributes to the sector of agriculture, industry education, healthcare, dairy, poultry, fisheries and drinking water supply. The company spent Rs-100 crore on CSR last year, this was 2% of its profit after tax, exclusive of dividend tax.

    15. IT companies like TCS and Wipro have developed software to help teachers and children in schools across India to further the cause of education.

    16. Pharmaceutical Company Jubilant Organosys Ltd., already runs an anti-tuberculosis program with the government of Uttar Pradesh. Apart from schools and hospitals that are run by trusts and societies, the government, too, is exploring to widen the scope of public-private partnerships to build and maintain schools and hospitals in return for fixed annuity payment.

    Conclusion:

    It is concluded that CSR is about business, government and civil society collaboration with the bottom line is the achievement of win-win situation among three entities. From social point of view, CSR should be benefit community because the latter has a complex structure as it consists of individuals with varies levels of control of resources physically and intangibly. The analysis on the theories allows the understanding of that goes beyond its traditional meanings; therefore CSR necessitates a multidisciplinary approach in its perspective and practice. Since the current meaning of CSR is complex, knowing the theories allows scholars to have a better understanding about corporation society relations, in which theories and practices of CSR are influenced by numerous economic and non economic as well as internal and external forces.

    References :

    1. www.careers.ed.ac.uk ,

    2. www.findmehere.com

     

    REVIVING A FORGOTTEN SPORT TOWARDS COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT


    ANJAN KUMAR B J

    Physical Education Director, Govt. First Grade College, Sulibele, Hosakote Taluk, Bangalore Rural District


    ABSTRACT

    India is a home for several distinctive sports both individual & collective. Our history & heritage is replete with several such sport events which instilled a spirit of good sportsmanship as well asspirit of unity. One such sport event which is known for its rarity & uniqueness is Mallakambha is a distinctive sport which has uniqueness & rarity besides it has been a very good community sport. Mallakambha has been considered as a traditional sport with flavors of promoting excellent health & gymnastic temperaments.But this has been long neglected as modern sports took over . youth were attracted towards popular games & this customary practice of Mallakambha was almost forgotten , But several attempts have been made to revive this rare fusion sport. This paper argues the immediate necessity to revive this sport with a dual dimension of making our youth healthy & continuation of our rich cultural heritage.

    Keywords:Mallakambha , heritage sport , health conscious youth . community empowerment, reviving through governmental policies


    Mallakambha is a distinctive sport which has been known for its promotion of body balance , harmonization , & yoga . Mallakambha is a synchronization of yoga & gymnastics. It is keeps one mentally fit & physically fit. It combines two popularly gaming patterns which can be collective as well as individual game Government is making several attempts to make this sport survive for posterity

    HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

    Mallakambha sport is almost 1000 year old. It has a long history It has been mentioned in Sanskrit texts it is combination of roping & swinging .Mallakambha is mentioned in Manasollasa , a great literary composition under western Chalukyas written around 1135 AD.

    MYTHICAL INSPIRATION

    The legacy about Mallakambhasport is that lordHanuman is personified through this sport. Lord Hanuman whowas famous for his valor, will power, mightiness &heroism is personified here. The pole is not touched by feet as it is disrespectful to touch with feet it is always touched through toe fingers. The rope is synonymous with the tail of Hanuman which is not only powerful but also wades through tough times.Thus sport perceivesgallantry , attentiveness, concentration, & above all willpower. All these characters were reflected through Lord Hanuman in epic drama Ramayana.

    TYPES OF MALLAKAMBHA

    Malla means a gymnast &kambha means a pole.The credit of popularizing the modern version goes to master Balambhatta dada deodhar who infused a new life into this historic sport activity

    1. Pole Mallakambha

    2. Hanging Mallakambha

    3. Rope Mallakambha

    MALLAKAMBHA FEDERATION OF INDIA

    Promoting this Mallakambha acrobatic game was bit tougher. Mallakambha was presented in modern Olympics way back in 1936. Indian government established the Mallakambha federation for rejuvenating thus sport.

    GOVERNMENTAL ENDEAVORS TO REVIVAL

    There have been several attempts to revive this heritage sports through government .

    1. Mallakambha Federation of India has been set up to revitalize this sport o modern lines.

    2. State of Madhya Pradesh has decided to declare Mallakambha as the state sport

    3. In the state of Maharashtra Mallakambha clubs & coaching centers are prominent by their presence.( Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2012).

    4. Several states have been reviving this activity with new conceptions & fusions.( Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2010).

    5. Several schools in Maharashtra , Uttar Pradesh , Madhya Pradesh have taken this sport seriously & have instituted Private clubs to propagate this event.

    6. Several states are thinking of considering this sport activity as Public Private enterprise.(Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2010).

    7. There are enthusiastic NGOs who can adopt this sport activity into a new fusion game as it happens in case of several rural sports.( Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2009).

    8. Community will be encouraged to involve themselves in this activity as it supports them with health awareness, knowledge about heritage & brotherhood bondage .

    CONSIDERATIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT-

    1. Government should support Mallakambha sport at national level sporting events.

    2. Government Policy should motivate investment in this sport by strengthening capabilities, technology transfer, promotion, educating the rural people about the benefits of this sport on a wider scale.

    3. Youth Sport commissions should be sent to other countries to popularize this sport

    4. Mallakambha should be demonstrated at national & international level sport meets

    5. Mallakambha should be demonstrated at schools & colleges in local level

    6. Using short films, documentaries , cartoon network , animation technology , community radio network , internet , etc this activity can be made to rejuvenate.

    7. An incentive for Mallakambha coaches with exemplary credentials stimulates them to work towards making it further deep rooted.

    8. Honoring Mallakambha sport with promotion through national level honors, medals & cash prizes will draw attention of the youth

    9. Allocation of budgetary funds to this sport is the need of the hour

    10. This sport should be supported through funding through NGO collaboration

    11. Promotion of this sports with sponsorship from corporate agencies can be considered

    12. Cash rewards for young Mallakambha achievers should be announced annually.

    13. Rural tourism can be promoted through this sporting event.

    14. State level / district level Mallakambha encouragement programs should be conducted

    15. Mallakambha can be made more skill-oriented through further fusions.

    16. Long term training programs for training good child & adolescent followers can be thought of.

    17. To integrate health and family welfare programmes at national, State, district, and block levels, this art of Mallakambha can be considered .

    18. The added benefits of this sport to health & empowerment , the community can be benefitted by popularizing this sport in melas, fairs , annual religious ceremonies,cultural festivals, film shows, etc .

    19. This rare sport activity can also be made a part of rural tourism as is the case with several folk culture.

    20. It can be made as a high promotion of sustainable tourism practice ( Report of the Scheme For Rural Tourism Development –Ministry Of Tourism 2013 ).

    21. It can be made to contribute to the revival of lost folk art and handicrafts which are on the fringe of extinct.

    22. It is can be made an ideal and natural method of empoweringrural and urban communities.

    23. India, being a multi cultured nation can embark upon utilizing the assistance from these rare sports activities & improve its prospects in rural community development research.

    The concept that sports as an alternative education is being perceived across the globe because of its potentialities. It’s function as a tool of providing socio- cultural knowledge & community empowerment is being conjectured. That this sport can become an alternate educative system can also be considered .( Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2009).

    CONCLUSION

    Mallakambha is thus a fusion game which has acquired modern looks with lots of acrobatic movements which helps physical fitness to all parts of body besides it helps linear body movement which improves concentration & attentiveness. Youth can consider learning this skill & aptitude to improve their physical fitness level& health maintenance .But this sport needs for revitalization through inclusion in National & international level sporting events. Present generation need to continue this heritage sport for future posterity.

    REFERENCES-

    1. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2012

    2. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2011

    3. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2010

    4. Report Of The Sports Authority In India - Ministry Of Youth Affairs & Sports 2009

    5. Stephen Robson -Strategic sports development , Route ledge publications , 2013


     

    GREEN MARKETING FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT


    Dr.Sudarshan kumar M* & Ashalatha**

    *Assistant Professor in Economics, GFGC Doddaballapur, Bangalore Rural, Karnataka, India

    **Faculty, Department of Economics, Bangalore University, PG-Center Kolar


    Abstract

    ALL Activities designed to generate and facilitate any exchanges intended to generate and facilitate any exchanges intended to satisfy human needs or wants, such that the satisfaction of these needs and wants occurs, with minimal detrimental impact on the natural environment. Sustainability communication at point of purchase is both growing and maturing. The markets for sustainable products and more information about these products in order to make information purchasing decisions that are better for the environment, society and their health. Green marketing is a tool used by many companies in various industries to follow this trend. There has been a lot of literature review on green marketing over the years, this papers analysis the impact of green marketing strategies on customer satisfaction and literature review. And also identifies the particular segments of green consumers and explores the challenges and opportunities businesses have with the green marketing.

    Keywords: Green Marketing, Consumer satisfaction, environmental safety, Green Products


    INTRODUCTION:

    Green revolution going green, environmental protection, sustainable life style, sustainable development, protecting our earth and many more has become a natural phenomenon in our everyday life. Green marketing is a tool used by many companies in various industries to follow this trend. Unfortunately, a majority of people believe strategies on customer satisfaction and literature review. And also identifies the particular segments of green consumers and explores the challenges and green marketing refers solely to the promotion or advertising of products with environmental characteristics. Terms like phosphate Free, Recyclable, Ozone Friendly, and Environmentally Friendly are some of the things consumers most often associate with green marketing claims, in general green marketing is a much broader concept, one that can be applied to consumer goods, industrial goods and even services. As resources are limited and human wants are unlimited, it is important for the marketers to utilize the resources efficiently without waste as well as to achieve the organization’s objective. So green marketing is inevitable. There is growing interest among the consumers all over the world regarding protection of environment. Worldwide evidence indicates people are concerned about the environment and are changing their behavior. As a result of this, green marketing has emerged which speaks for growing market for sustainable and socially responsible products and services.

    GREEN MARKETING:

    The term like green marketing, Ecological Marketing and Environmental Marketing are getting popular in modern days. The American Marketing Association (AMA) conducted its first workshop on “ecological marketing in 1975. The proceeding of the workshop resulted in one of the first books on green Marketing entitled “Ecological Marketing “.AMA defines green marketing as the marketing of products that are presumed to be environmentally safe if incorporates several activities such as product modification, changes to production processes, packaging, advertising strategies and also increases awareness on compliance marketing amongst industries. Business Dictionary defines green marketing as promotional activities aimed at taking advantage of changing consumer attitude towards a brand. In other words study of the positive and negative aspects of marketing activities on pollution, energy depletion and non energy resource depletion. Yet defining green marketing is not a simple task. Indeed the terminology used in this area has varied, it includes: Green Marketing, Environmental Marketing and Ecological Marketing. “Green Marketing” refers to holistic marketing concept where in the production, marketing consumption an disposal of products and services happen in a manner that is less detrimental to the environment with growing awareness about the implication of global warming, non-biodegradable solid waste, harmful impact of pollutants etc., both marketers and consumers are becoming increasingly sensitive to the need for switch in to green products and services. Pride and Ferrell (1993) Green marketing, also alternatively known as environmental marketing and sustainable marketing, refers to an organization’s efforts at designing, promoting, pricing and distributing products that will not harm the environment. Polonsky (1994) defines green marketing as all activities designed to generate and facilitate any exchanges intended to satisfy human needs or wants, such that the satisfaction of these needs and wants occurs, with minimal detrimental impact on the natural environment.

    GREEN PRODUCTS AND ITS FEATURES

    The products those are manufactured through green technology and that caused no environmental hazards are called green products. Promotion of green technology and green products is necessary for conservation of natural resources and sustainable development. We can define green products by following measures:

    1. Products those are originally grown,

    2. Products those are recyclable, reusable and biodegradable,

    3. Products with natural ingredient,

    4. Products containing recycled contents, non-toxic chemical,

    5. Products contents under approved chemical,

    6. Products that do not harm or pollute the environment,

    7. Products that will not be tested on animals,

    8. Products that have eco-friendly packaging i.e.reusable, refillable containers etc.

    IMPORTANCE OF GREEN MARKETING

    Green marketing offers business bottom line incentives and top line growth possibilities. While modification of business or production processes may involve start- up costs, it will save many in the long term . For example the cost of installing solar energy is an investment in future energy cost savings .companies that develop new and improved products and services with environmental impacts in mind give themselves access to new markets , substantially increase profits and enjoy competitive advantages over those marketing non-environmentally responsible alternatives.

    KEY RULES OF GREEN MARKETING

    1. Know you’re customer: Make sure that the consumer is aware of and concerned about the issues that your product attempts to address.

    2. Educating your customers: isn’t just a matter of letting people know you’re doing whatever you’re doing to protect the environment, but also a matter of letting them know why it matters. Otherwise, for a significant portion of your target market, it’s a case of “so what?” and your green marketing campaign goes nowhere.

    3. Being Genuine &Transparent:means that (a)you are actcally doing what you claim to be doing in your green marketing campaign (b) the rest of your business policies are consistent with whatever you are doing that’s environmentally friendly.

    4. Reassure the Buyer: Consumers must be made to believe that the product performs the job it’s supposed to do-they won’t forego product quality in the name of the environment.

    5. Consider Your Pricing: If you’re charging a premium for your product-and many environmentally preferable products cost more due economics of scale and use of higher- quality ingredients-make sure those consumers can afford the premium and feel it’s worth it

    GREEN MARKETING – ADOPTS BY THE FARMS

    Green marketing has been widely adopted by the firms worldwide and the following are the possible reasons changes, many firms see these changes as an opportunity to exploit and have a competitive advantage over firms marketing non environmentally responsible alternatives. Some examples:

    • MCDONALD’S replaced its clam shell packaging with waxed paper because of increased consumer concern relating to polystyrene production and Ozone deletion.

    • Tuna manufacturers modified their fishing techniques because of the increased consumer concern over driftnet fishing, and the resulting death of dolphins.

    • Xerox introduced a “high quality” recycled photocopier paper in an attempt to satisfy the demands of firms for less environmentally harmful products.

    Tamil Nadu Newsprint and papers Limited (TNPL) Adjudged the best performer in the 2009 -2010 Green Business Survey, TNPL was awarded the Green Business Leadership Awarded in the pulp and paper sector. The initiatives undertaken by this top green firm in India includes two Clean Development Mechanism Projects and wind farm project that helped generate 2,30,323 Carbon Emission Reductions earning Rs.17.40 Crore. IndusInd Bank Green banking has been catching up as among the top Indian green initiatives ever since IndusInd opened the country’s first solar- powered ATM and pioneered an eco-savvy change in the Indian banking sector.

    BENEFITS OF GREEN MARKETING

    Companies are responsible to consumers’ aspirations for environmentally less damaging or neutrao products. Many companies want to eventually move towards becoming green. Some of advantages of green marketing :

    • It ensures sustain long-term growth along with profitability.

    • It saves money in the long, run. Though initially the cost is more.

    • It helps companies market there product and services keeping the environmental aspects in mind. It helps in assessing the new market and enjoying competitive advantage.

    • Most of the employees also feel proud and responsible to be working for and environmentally responsible company.

    PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH GREEN MARKETING.

    • Credibility: One of the main problems is that firms using green marketing must ensure that there activities are not misleading to consumers or Industry, and do not breach any of the regulation are laws dealing with the environmental marketing.

    • Don’t follow consumers perception blindly: Another problem firms face is that those who modify there products due to increased consumer concern must contend with the fact that consumers perceptions are some times not correct. Take for example the McDonalds case where it has replaced its clamshells with plastic coated paper.

    • Back up your marketing with good technical assistance when firms attempt to become socially responsible, they may face the risk that the environmentally responsible action of today will be found to be harmful in the future.

    • Lack of policies while Governmental regulation is designed to give consumers the opportunity to make better decisions or to motivate them to be more environmentally responsible, there is difficulty in establishing policies that will address all environmental issues.

    • Don’t follow the competition blindly reacting to competitive pressure can cause all “followers’ to make the same mistake as the “leader”.

    GREEN MARKETING STRATEGIES FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT

    Green marketing mirror the goals of traditional marketing, which is to “facilitate exchanges intended to satisfy human needs or wants”. The point of difference is that green marketing seeks to accomplish that with minimal detrimental impact on the natural environment. As companies face limited natural resource, they must also develop new or alternative ways of satisfying there consumers needs. So green marketing is also a way of looking at how marketing activities can make the best use of these limited resources while meeting corporate objectives.

    SET THE RIGHT GREEN OBJECTIVIES:

    • Commentators have suggested a number of reasons why companies are increasingly considering green marketing. They believe green marketing is an opportunity that can be used to meet there corporate objectives.

    • They believe they have a moral obligations to be more social responsible.

    • Government regulations are forcing them to become more environmentally responsible.

    • Competitors environmental activities are pressuring them to change there marketing activities.

    • Cost factors associated with waste disposal, or reductions in material usage are forcing them to modify there behavio


    DEMONSTRATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY:

    COMPLY WITH LEGISLATION:

    • Provide accurate environmental information: If you intend to practice green marketing, it is essential that your activity and your communication do not mislead consumers are Industry, and do not breach any of the regulations or laws dealing with environmental marketing. Any green marketing claims should :

    • Clearly state environmental benefits :

    • Explain environmental characteristics :

    • Explain how benefits are achieved :

    • Justify any environmental claims :

    • Use meaningful terms and pictures.

    • Identify products with green characteristics :

    Product: The ecological objectives in planning products are to reduce resource consumption and pollution and to increase conversations of scarce resources.

    Price: Price is a critical and important factor of green marketing mix. Most consumers will only be prepare to pay additional value if there is a perception of extra product value. This value may be improved, performance, function, design, visual appeal, or taste. Green marketing should take all these facts into considerations while charging a premium price.

    Promotions: There are three types of green advertising :-

    1. Ads that address a relationship between product/service and the biophysical environment.

    2. Those that promote a green life style by highlighting a product or service.

    3. Ads that present a corporate image environmental responsibility.

    Place : The choice of where and when to make a product available will have significant impact on the customers. Very few customers will go out of their way to buy products.

    Strategies: The marketing strategies for green marketing include:-

    1. Marketing Audit (including internal and external situation analysis),

    2. Develop a marketing plan out lining strategies with regard to 4 P’s,

    3. Implement marketing strategies,

    4. Plan results evaluation.

    CONCLUSION

    Clever marketer is one who not only convinces the consumer, but also involves the consumers in marketing is product. Corporate should create the awareness among the consumers, what are the benefits of green as compared to non green ones. The increasing economic development, rapid growth of population and the countries natural resources. Industrial pollution, soil erosion, deforestation, rapid industrialization, urbanization, and land degradation are all worsening problems. Environmental pollution is one of most serious problems facing humanity and other life forms on planet today. So it’s the right time to implement the green marketing. Green marketing helps in the effective out comes like cost cutting, employee satisfaction, waste minimization, society welfare for companies as well for society.

    References:

    1. Aseem prakash, “Green marketing public policy and management strategies" business strategies and the environment, Bus.Strat.Env.11, 285-297(2002).

    2. Pavan misha and Payal Sharma, “Green marketing in India : Emerging opportunities and challenges”, Mishra etal/Journal of Engineering, Science and management education, vol.3-2010/9-14.

    3. Priti Aggarual, “Green marketing in India : Emerging opportunities and challenges”, G.J.C.M.P, VOL.2 (4)July –August 2013, ISSN..2319-7285.

    4. Ramakrishna. H “, “Green marketing in India: some Eco-issues”, Indian journals of marketing,2012. ISSN-0973-8703.

    5. Sing P.B, Dr. Kamal K Pondey, “Green marketing: Policies and practices for sustainable development”. Integral review – A journal of management – ISSN..2278-6120, Vol.5,No.1 June-2012.

     

    Impact of Educational Development Programmers on Scheduled Caste Students in Karnataka


    S.Rajesha* & Prof. M.G.Basavaraja**

    *Research Scholar, Dept. of Economics, PG Centre, Mandya

    **Professor, Dept. of Economics, Sir M.V.PG Centre, Mandya


    Abstract

    Education is very essential to every individual. Education is a powerful tool of bringing about suitable changes in the economic, political, social and cultural scenario of a nation. So it’s a basic necessity of individuals. Education provides so many accesses and it enhancing mental capacity, improving of skills, knowledge and increasing creativity. So its take wider scope in the every nation. In India, educational status is not enough to meet our requirements. so National Literacy Mission encourages to increasing the literacy rate at maximum level, but also not reached proper goal in education sector. So even this situation Government of India introducing verities of educational development programmes for weaker sections, like SC/ST’s, OBC’s and Minorities. Educational programmes are Sarva Sikshana Abhiyana, Elementary education for all, and so on. In India all state governments are take care on education improvements, so in budget spend so much of finance to education

    Educational development Programmes for Scheduled Caste Students in Karnataka.

    The present study is relating to educational development programmes for SC students in Karnataka. Government of India at the national level and Karnataka government in the state have implemented various educational development programmes for the SC students in Karnataka. Government of India with respect to the education development of SC students has introduced major scholarship programmes. They include post-matric scholarships, pre-matric scholarships, up gradation of merit for SC student’s scheme and Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowships. The other important educational schemes for the SC students include:

    1. Special coaching facilities for competitive examinations,

    2. Hostel facilities to both girls and boys for pursuing education from middle school level to higher education.

    Government of Karnataka also has various educational development programmes for SC students. The Directorate of Social Welfare is administering these programmes for the welfare of SC students. The important programmes are

    1. Financial assistance is given to SC students pursuing M.Phil and Ph.D. Courses respectively.

    2. Special incentive money in given to though SC students who secure with in the first three ranks in graduation and post-graduation levels during the academic year.

    3. One time assistance is given to SC students studying in IIM/ IISc, IIT, and other related institutes,

    4. Special finance assistance for the SC students who are studying in foreign universities.

    5. Price money is being awarded to the SC students who get first class in first attempt in public examination.

    6. Merit scholarship given to tenth standard SC students who score more than 60% marks in annual examinations. For fifth to sixth standard SC student’s pre-matric scholarship is given to those who get the highest marks in public examination.

    7. Pre-matric hostels are providing free-boarding and lodging facilities to SC students studying in 5th to 10th standard along with books, dresses and other needs in addition to meeting the boarding expenditures. Post matric scholarships are being given to SC students with the income of the family not exceeding in the family income of one lakh.

    8. In the college hostels, residential schools, Morarjee Desai model residential schools, Navodaya model schools SC students are provided free of cost boarding and lodging facilities along with books, uniforms, beds, hair oil, washing and luxury soaps are given.

    9. In the human welfare center SC children students are given mid-day-meals,

    10. Under the Navachethana schemes reputed institutions, private institutions are imparting training to SC educated unemployed youths in different trades and computer to enable them to get employment.

    Government of India also has formulated various educational programmes for SC Students. The main educational development programmes of Government of India for SC students is with regard to major scholarship programmes which are administered by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, the important scholarships are – post-matric scholarships, pre-matric scholarship, up gradation of merit for SC student scheme and Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowships. There are also other schemes such as;

    1. Providing coaching facilities to students to prepare them for various competitive examinations being conducted by union publc service commission, state public service commissions, banks and so on,

    2. Hostel facilities to both boys and girls for pursuing education from middle level onwards.

    Dr. B.R. Ambedkar View points on Education for Weaker Sections

    Education is the key to development. In the present era of globalization, liberalization and privatization dimensions with regard to availability and accessibility to educational opportunities particularly for Dalits and poorer sections of our society are changing very rapidly. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar has empirically raised the slogan of educate, organize and agitate giving his famous slogan. His vision on education has much relevance to the empowerment of Dalits in the post modern society.

    Dr. B.R. Ambedkar and speeches on his vision by eminent social scientist and articles are also included to make a retrospection of approaches and achievements towards the educational development of Dalits in modern India. In the illuminating and inspiring forward thinker writes: until and unless Dalits achieve education, their aspiration to become socially at par with the local, regional, national & international community’s cannot be fulfilled. Education makes enlightenment the sole aim of life. This was the philosophy that Ambedkar accepted and tried to revive. Besides this there was another reason. Whose life and movement Ambedkar had studied was a believer of the educatability and the creativity of the people – Dr.B.R.Ambedkar.

    The Gandhian view points on the Development of Education.

    Gandhiji’s approach to India’s rural development was holistic and people- centered. It was rooted in his conviction in the tenets of truth, non-violence and the goodness of human beings. Influenced as he was by Tolstoy, Ruskin and the teachings of The Gita, he placed more emphasis on moral and spiritual values in education.

    Gandhi did not fully accept modem education, which emphasized only literacy and acquisition of information. In his opinion, modem education was debauchery of the mind. Hence, he developed a new system of appropriate education and training which he called Nai Taleem. He believed that nai taleem would help develop the full potential of children and adults, through full development of their bodies, minds and spirits. He wanted to see nai taleem to be self-supporting and practice oriented. It is unfortunate that India has not yet geared its education system to the needs of the country, and that is why its human resources remain underdeveloped and less productive as compared to other countries that have given the highest priority to education and training.

    Need for the Study on Educational Programmes for SC Students

    So far there is no systematic study on the educational development programmes in Karnataka. Hence, there is a greater need for empirically rigorous work to indentify the causative factors for programmes to succeed or fail. Most of the studies have focused on quantifying the benefits derived; the analyses of the institutional aspects of the intervention have not been regorance. The present research study tries to attempt to fill this research gap in the literature by raising the following research questions and identifying four hypotheses.

    Research Gap and Researchable Issues

    It is evident from the literature review that studies relating the education and educational facilities in the context of weaker sections development are many. But there is no specific and special study on the educational development programmes and facilities for the SC students in Karnataka. In recent years, also, there is no study in Mysore district about the educational aspects of SC students even though various educational development programmes have been implemented adequate measures have not been taken with regard to impart quality education for SC students. The general observations indicate that SC students have to be equipped the proper knowledge with regard to Mathematics, English, and General Knowledge etc., therefore there is need of furnishing a set of useful remedial measures for imparting quality education for the SC students in the state. In order to fill up the said are research gap the present research study entitled “ A study on the educational development programmes for scheduled castes students in Karnataka: A Case Study of Mysore district” is undertaken with the following of objectives and Hypotheses.

    Objectives of the Study

    Against the above backdrop the following objectives have been formulated for the present study.

    1. To study about the district – wise distribution of SC Students and their problems in Karnataka.

    2. To study about the various educational development programmes of Government of India and State Government for the benefits of SC students in Karnataka.

    3. To study about the impact of educational development programmes on the SC students of Karnataka.

    4. To critically evaluate Government of India, State Government educational development policies and programmes and examine their adequacy and relevance in the light of prevailing educational needs of SC students.

    5. To draw policy inferences to prescribe suitable suggestions for strengthening the educational development programmes for SC students in Karnataka.

    Hypotheses for the Study

    For the purpose of this research study, following research propositions or hypotheses have been formulated for empirical testing. These hypotheses have been formulated on the basis of the observation, thinking, hunch, imagination, vision and related aspects. The hypotheses formulated for the study are given below:

    1. Most of the SC students would not have continued their education but for education development programmes of government.

    2. Faster, sustainable and more inclusive growth would not have taken place among SC students but for educational development programmes offered by government.

    3. Most of the SC students are facing different kinds of problems in availing of education facilities doing their study period.

    4. The existing educational development programmes are not succeeded in adequate skill development of SC students.

    Research Methodology Adopted for the Study

    This study is both inductive as well as deductive; this is because the logical research processes of both these methods are useful in research studies. In fact, these two methods go hand in hand and inseparable parts of a system of research reasoning. This research study adopts a mix of research methodologies both descriptive and analytical in nature. The data sources for the study are both primary data through field studies; the secondary data will be collected from the publications of Government of India, state government, Reserve Bank of India, State Bank of India and other commercial banks, research study reports of different research organizations including planning commission.

    References

    • Manzoor Hussain ( 2012 ),‘Socio- Economic Issues on Vulnerable People in India”, Abhijith Publications ,New Delhi , page number 73-88.

    • M.G. Basavaraja (2010) Higher Education in India: Issues and Challenges’ Journal of Development and Social Change, volume number 8, page No.135-141

    • Katar Singh (2009) ‘Rural Development Principles, Policies, and Management’ Sage Publications, India Private Limited, New Delhi, page No.86-88.

    255

     

Imprint

Text: Editors
Publication Date: 04-09-2015

All Rights Reserved

Next Page
Page 1 /